PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State Vs Illinois State

penguinpower
October 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Here are 2 teams coming off of uncharacteristic losses this year. Not taking credit away form NDSU or SIU, but both YSU and Illinois State made some careless mistakes that stacked the odds against them. I believe that Illinois State lost at home. Youngstown was routed at NDSU.

I am curious to see how both of these teams respond. If you would have asked me a week ago, I would have expected that Illinois State to be undefeated when Youngstown came to visit them. Some of the MVFC losses are puzzling, especially how the teams are losing.

I watched the press conference for Youngstown State and the kids did not seem to be phased by the loss. They stated that they learned a lesson in that they got a little too confident and didn't prepare as well as they probably should have. I don't know about the charades teams and coaches play at a presser, but I was surprised and they appeared to be confident and relativley unphased.

ysubigred
October 11th, 2012, 03:03 PM
xshakefistx Bump!!

Red Bird Ray, ISUMatt ?? ISUr fans where u at xeyebrowx

YSU wins 70-0 xangelx

xcoffeex

Houndawg
October 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I think that YSU is the better team overall, but I think that ISU will win. YSU got stomped for sure on the road by the #1 team. ISU got the snot beaten out of them at their homecoming in front of a sell out crowd when they were the solid favorite and to add insult to injury they were shut out. They gotta be burning up with humiliation and spoiling to hit somebody...

ysubigred
October 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I think that YSU is the better team overall, but I think that ISU will win. YSU got stomped for sure on the road by the #1 team. ISU got the snot beaten out of them at their homecoming in front of a sell out crowd when they were the solid favorite and to add insult to injury they were shut out. They gotta be burning up with humiliation and spoiling to hit somebody...

This is going to be a strange game for both teams. We'll see who's pretenders and who's for real.

Houndawg
October 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
a tough one to call for sure.

UNIFanSince1983
October 11th, 2012, 04:15 PM
YSU wins. This will not be real close.

Houndawg
October 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM

They should, just a feeling on my part that they'll win. Nothing hurts those peckerwood 'birds more than yet another butt-raping at the hands of their hated in-state rival from just down the highway, close enough so that on a quiet night they can hear Saluki fans laughing if the wind is from the south. Their QB is from near Carbondale and he has been owned by SIU yet again and he will be mad. Their coach called out the QB after the game, he was livid about being shut out at at their homecoming in front of a sold out crowd. I'd say their season will be made or broken this week.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM
IMO, if Illinois State loses this game they are done for the season in terms of playoffs. They will not beat UNI or NDSU and Indiana State will be a tough one also.

NDB
October 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I think the Pengiuns have this IF

1. They don't fumble on their first play from the line of scrimmage.

2. There quarterback isn't bated into throwing in the direction of the best cornerback in FCS.

I guess you can take #2 off the list.

Just joshing. I wish Youngstown the best, I love MVFC football. I hope you do well in the playoffs - maybe see you in Frisco?

steelbison
October 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM

I agree 100% Ill St has shown nothing the past two weeks. I watched the game against USD and that was not a very good football team.

YSU-35 Ill St 20

Unbison
October 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ysu by 30

Jacked_Rabbit
October 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
If the Guins hadn't just got completely embarrassed at NDSU last week, I'd be far more inclined to think the Redbirds would be capable of pulling off the win this weekend. Even with their own poor performance (especially offensively) last week vs. SIU, I think YSU has more motivation - and a better team to begin with - to win this game. I originally thougth this would be a very close game, but the more I think about it, I feel Youngstown will make a statement and win this one by double digits.

moosbah
October 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
If the Guins hadn't just got completely embarrassed at NDSU last week, I'd be far more inclined to think the Redbirds would be capable of pulling off the win this weekend. Even with their own poor performance (especially offensively) last week vs. SIU, I think YSU has more motivation - and a better team to begin with - to win this game. I originally though this would be a very close game, but the more I think about it, I feel Youngstown will make a statement and win this one by double digits.

Your signature photo looks like it was taken behind the equipment shed at Texas Tech. Just sayin.

Neither team in this matchup has show anything this year. Still waiting to see which has any stones.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Your signature photo looks like it was taken behind the equipment shed at Texas Tech. Just sayin.

Neither team in this matchup has show anything this year. Still waiting to see which has any stones.

It was actually taken on the turf at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, NE, but whatever. Not sure who you are trying to slam, but I see you just joined the board in August, so you must be one of the Bison fans all the real NDSU fans talk about when they say a bunch of bandwagon jumpers are showing up on the message boards these days. Convenient timing on your part.

DJKyR0
October 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Both have beaten FBS teams?

frozennorth
October 13th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Neither team in this matchup has show anything this year.

what the ****? YSU crushed Pitt, top25 Albany and top25 UNI

X-Factor
October 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
It was actually taken on the turf at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, NE, but whatever. Not sure who you are trying to slam, but I see you just joined the board in August, so you must be one of the Bison fans all the real NDSU fans talk about when they say a bunch of bandwagon jumpers are showing up on the message boards these days. Convenient timing on your part.

Yes, an unfortunate part of being ultra successful. I am sure the long time App fans know this all too well from their threept.

mmiller_34
October 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM
How has no one been commenting on this game? Tied up 28-28 with 10 minutes left. Illinois State has the ball and all the momentum.

mmiller_34
October 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Illinois State TD 35-28 with 2:45 to play. Who does this say more about? YSU, ISU (R), or SIU?

mmiller_34
October 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Illinois State wins 35-28... pulled off 28 unanswered points.

YSU FAN#34
October 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Illinois State TD 35-28 with 2:45 to play. Who does this say more about? YSU, ISU (R), or SIU?

As emotional a statement as this is...i will still say it anyway. For YSU it shows we have been pretenders. This loss is completely unacceptable. 28 unanswered points is unacceptable. Being out-coached in the second half the way we were is unacceptable.

SoupCity85
October 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
This coaching staff is ABSOLUTELY not ready for the playoffs. 2 weeks in a row they've been outcoached. Other teams make adjustments and YSU just looks stupid. The defense is HORRIBLE, the special teams are HORRIBLE and now the offense has been brought back down to earth. I feel like this is year 1 with Eric Wolford. Finding ways to lose a game.

kdinva
October 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Other teams make adjustments and YSU just looks stupid.

I feel your pain....................

REALBird
October 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
We looked totally disinterested last week and SIU took it to us for homecoming. Kept hearing that the players may have had too much fun the night before, but either way you hold serve at home. The adjustments made were critical by Spack and staff. Don't care how we look, who we beat, or lted how ugly the W's are.....we won. Good enuf' for me.

ISU could have been routed this week, but our guys pull through and fought back for a tough W. Hoping the L last week, and the comeback this week pushes this team to bring their best game from here on out. No easy wins in the MVFC.

SoupCity85
October 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM
REALBird...I agree totally with you. You're coaching staff made adjustments and YSUs staff makes none......AGAIN. Great game, great win for you guys. Good luck the rest of the way.

GoVols
October 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Spack even commented on the telecast after the game most his notes in the 2nd half were all handwritten and away from what they had prepared for. He was a happy camper for sure

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Congrats to the Deadbirds bouncing back with the win.