PDA

View Full Version : Is UCA dropping to DII?

Danielr11220
October 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.todaysthv.com/sports/article/229083/56/UCA-contemplating-moving-to-Division-II

CONWAY, Ark. (KTHV) - The University of Central Arkansas is thinking of dropping down from Division I to Division II athletics to save money.

"We're already receiving our NCAA revenue enhancements. We're getting more community support than ever before in division II." said UCA Athletic Director Dr. Brad Teague.

Faculty Senate President Dr. Kevin Browne said a subcommittee will decide whether it is feasible for UCA to return to Division II. UCA moved up to Division I, across platforms in 2010.

"I'd frankly like to see an investment made in faculty." said Faculty Senate President Dr. Kevin Browne.

Dr. Browne said some faculty members are concerned about privately funded bonuses that some athletic employees received. He said faculty members have only received one pay raise in the past five years.

"We're not going back to division II. We feel very confident that we will remain where we are. But it would be detrimental with all of the endeavors that we've put in. We'd have to lay off coaches . We'd have to cancel some sports . It would be decimated." said Dr. Teague.

Dr.Teague said being a Division I school is an investment in UCA and a good recruitment tool.

"Yes. It's been a big shot in the arm," said Jamie Gates with the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce.

Gates said also helpful to the city is the recognition which comes with the title.

"We appreciate getting to keep up with our local institution in national broadcast," said Gates.

Dr. Browne said the study will be completed next semester

BEAR
October 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM
No. UCA is NOT dropping to DII.

Can't believe I'm even commenting on this. xsmhx

That is what we call a "powerplay" by the faculty to get a raise. Happens everywhere. If you want a raise in one department, you call out another department. Sad. But that's the struggle between academics and athletics being pushed in the media by the faculty.

Move on. Nothing to see here. xlolx

BEAR
October 9th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Admins...you can put this in the circular file...xzzzzx

RabidRabbit
October 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry UCABear, if makes the news of the region, then someone shares, doesn't violate anything.

Ah, the politics of it all. A month from now, we'll be going woulda, coulda, shoulda....

UCA seems to be doing pretty well in the D-I arena. This study may demonstrate the improvements that have occurred in enrollment, the quality of the students since going D-I. Doubt UCA drops.

BEAR
October 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Never said it violated anything..just not newsworthy...this is the kind of story that gets headlines when your flagship university in your state SUCKS and the news world is slow. This too shall fade. xlolx

UCA's move to division I has brought in a ton of cash to the city, more donors and more school pride....the faculty can shut their pieholes.