PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: No 4 loss at- large team will be selected

Go Apps
October 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Mark it down it just looks like no 4 loss at-large will be invited to the playoffs - even with 7 D1 wins...

The Big Sky could wind up with 5 teams due to a weak bottom half and the key teams not playing each other..

The CAA should also easily have at least 3 with 3 losses or less

The Socon will end up with 2 or 3 - 3 loss teams

The Southland should have 2

The OVC will have at least 2

THE MVC should have possibly 3

This was a great year to have expanded playoffs the competition would have been great!!

My guess is 3 Big Sky, 2 CAA, 1 Socon, 1 OVC, 1 Southland, and 2 MVC... for the at large berths

bluehenbillk
October 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I've been saying that for the last 2 weeks - but good work...

Pitz
October 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Prediction: The 7-4 Montana Grizzlies will make the field.

Go Apps
October 8th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Not if there are plenty of other 8-3 teams and I think N. Ariz, Cal Poly, Mont State, E Wash all finish with 3 or less losses and you have to hope that ASU does not finish at 7-4 otherwise the direct win over Montana puts them in ahead of the grizzles

atlfcsfan
October 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Havent done the research, but am sure there will be a couple of at large teams to get in at 7-4.

Like Pitz said, if Montana is 7-4 they get in.

If App is 7-4 they will get in too. Those are the 2 biggest draws in FCS and trust me, they would get in regardless.

UNH Fanboi
October 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
It almost always works out that several teams will end up losing games that they "should" win down stretch. I would be shocked if there is not at least one 7-4 at large team in the playoffs.

WileECoyote06
October 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think one or more of the non-power conferences will have co-champions this year. If that's the case then they will definitely take those spots away from the 7 - 4 teams.

kdinva
October 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think one or more of the non-power conferences will have co-champions this year......

Someone may have "co-champions", but one must be selected as the pure champion to get that league's auto-bid.

kdinva
October 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
........if Montana is 7-4 they get in........If App is 7-4 they will get in too. Those are the 2 biggest draws in FCS and trust me, they would get in regardless.

+1

TheRevSFA
October 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Let's say: Sam, SFA, and UCA wins out.

SFA gets the auto-bid. Does Sam or UCA (or both) get in?

darell1976
October 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM
UND runs the table and they make the playoffs...of course that would include wins over NAU, UM, and MSU. With our defense....its a huge longshot.

Go Apps
October 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Let's say: Sam, SFA, and UCA wins out.

SFA gets the auto-bid. Does Sam or UCA (or both) get in?

UCA does - not sure on SFA but they have a chance depends on the rest of the country

I still like McNeese Chances

TheRevSFA
October 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM
UCA does - not sure on SFA but they have a chance depends on the rest of the country

I still like McNeese Chances

If SFA, UCA, and Sam all win out, SFA has the conference championship due to tiebreaker.

So it'd be between Sam and UCA..who gets the at large?

WileECoyote06
October 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Someone may have "co-champions", but one must be selected as the pure champion to get that league's auto-bid.

For the past two seasons, co-champions from leagues have been awarded spots including SC State in 2010; and Eastern Kentucky in 2011. Sidebar: Poor Duquesne was left out of the co-champion group. In the MEAC, Howard and BCU seem to be leading the pack, followed by NCCU and Morgan State. If BCU or NCCU finish tied with Howard, there will be co-champions in that league as neither team plays Howard this year. In the OVC, TSU and EKU look to be the class of the conference, but TSU plays at Jax State, hosts Tenn. Tech and then play at Tennessee-Martin. EKU plays at Tenn. Tech and hosts Eastern Illinois. and Eastern Illinois is lurking. Sets itself up perfectly for another two-bid season as well.

Someone is going to be left out. .

gsu_paintballer
October 8th, 2012, 09:29 PM
There will most definitely be four loss teams in the playoffs.

Note that is plural.

Bisonwinagn
October 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM
If SFA, UCA, and Sam all win out, SFA has the conference championship due to tiebreaker.

So it'd be between Sam and UCA..who gets the at large?

What is the tiebreaker and why does SFA win it?

Go Apps
October 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Likely 3 loss or less teams...

Big Sky - Montana State, Montana, E Washington, N. Arizona, Cal Poly, Sac State (I predict 4 will get to the 8 wins)

Southland - Sam Houston, McNeese St, C. Arkansas (go with 2 here)

CAA - ODU, N Hampshire, JMU, Delaware, Richmond - (figure 3 here)

Southeren - Samford, GSU, Wofford, ASU (go with 2)

MVC - NDak Stae, S. Dak State, Young State, Illinois State, Ind State - (3 here)

OVC - Tenn State, EKU, UT Martin, Jaxville State, E. Illinois (2 here)

A loss by Lehigh, Stoney Brook will only complicate things should they not win their conference bid

So again thinking the 4 loss teams are in a heap of trouble - will admit have not looked at wins so I am sure some of the wins above include D2 teams which could make decisions tougher

UNIFanSince1983
October 9th, 2012, 07:02 AM
There will be four 4 loss teams in the MVFC.

ysubigred
October 9th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Probablly get a home game also!!

atlfcsfan
October 9th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Likely 3 loss or less teams...

Big Sky - Montana State, Montana, E Washington, N. Arizona, Cal Poly, Sac State (I predict 4 will get to the 8 wins)

Southland - Sam Houston, McNeese St, C. Arkansas (go with 2 here)

CAA - ODU, N Hampshire, JMU, Delaware, Richmond - (figure 3 here)

Southeren - Samford, GSU, Wofford, ASU (go with 2)

MVC - NDak Stae, S. Dak State, Young State, Illinois State, Ind State - (3 here)

OVC - Tenn State, EKU, UT Martin, Jaxville State, E. Illinois (2 here)

A loss by Lehigh, Stoney Brook will only complicate things should they not win their conference bid

So again thinking the 4 loss teams are in a heap of trouble - will admit have not looked at wins so I am sure some of the wins above include D2 teams which could make decisions tougher

I must admit that I checked it out last night and it will be a long shot for a 4 loss team to get in. I still think Montana, App, and probably Ga Southern would get in with 4 losses. But you do make a good point about Montana, would have a tougher road to making it if they have lost to conference teams who finish with a better record. But for some reason, it just seems teams always find ways to lose late in the season.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out

appfan2008
October 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I would be surprised if ASU does not get in at 7-4

bluehenbillk
October 9th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Go Apps is right, there only need to be 10 at-larges with a 8-3 record or better, remember ODU will be one of them as they can't win the CAA. I don't care what the name of your school is - if there are enough 8-3 or better's no 7-4 teams will make it.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Go Apps is right, there only need to be 10 at-larges with a 8-3 record or better, remember ODU will be one of them as they can't win the CAA. I don't care what the name of your school is - if there are enough 8-3 or better's no 7-4 teams will make it.

while i agree with what you said the ncaa is all about money and if your school sells A LOT of tickets (aka App, Ga Southern, Montana, Delaware, JMU etc...) then it will receive extra consideration... not that i agree with it but they have done it before and they will do it again!

Missingnumber7
October 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
while i agree with what you said the ncaa is all about money and if your school sells A LOT of tickets (aka App, Ga Southern, Montana, Delaware, JMU etc...) then it will receive extra consideration... not that i agree with it but they have done it before and they will do it again!

As long as the FCS playoffs is a money losing effort this will be the case. And the 5 teams you listed are a better pick as far as quality games and better teams than other options in some cases.

atlfcsfan
October 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Name matters a lot, because App, Montana, JMU, Ga Southern means $$$ to the NCAA.

If a playoff spot came down to a 7-4 App or Ga Southern and a 8-3 Big Sky team, I am sure the 7-4 App/Ga southern will get in.

andy7171
October 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
If Towson does get to 7-4, 6-2 CAA, I don't see how they don't make the post-season.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Name matters a lot, because App, Montana, JMU, Ga Southern means $$$ to the NCAA.

If a playoff spot came down to a 7-4 App or Ga Southern and a 8-3 Big Sky team, I am sure the 7-4 App/Ga southern will get in.

not only get in but also host bc of the convoluted rules about money equals hosting!... rank the dern thing and lets do it right... as long as NCAA is in the business of making money though that will never happen...

Go Apps
October 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM

If that team is Montana doubtful - it will just depend

atlfcsfan
October 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
If that team is Montana doubtful - it will just depend

YOur point about MOntana is valid, it would be hard to justify putting in Montana at 7-4, if there are 8-3 teams in the Big Sky.

But a 7-4 SoCon or 7-4 CAA would be different factors.

Go Apps
October 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
YOur point about MOntana is valid, it would be hard to justify putting in Montana at 7-4, if there are 8-3 teams in the Big Sky.

But a 7-4 SoCon or 7-4 CAA would be different factors.

Montana needs to hope that team they are up against is not an ASU 7-4 team the head to head loss keeps them out

Go Apps
October 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Montana needs to hope that team they are up against is not an ASU 7-4 team the head to head loss keeps them out

Think that will not be an issue if ASU can't past Samford

atlfcsfan
October 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
yeah if App loses to Samford, then they might have win out and go 8-3 to make the playoffs.

I think if they go 7-4 (loses to Wofford and Ga Southern) they would stand a good chance of making it.

Go Apps
October 16th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Yet another week goes by and I think this will come true

Go Apps
October 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
yeah if App loses to Samford, then they might have win out and go 8-3 to make the playoffs.

I think if they go 7-4 (loses to Wofford and Ga Southern) they would stand a good chance of making it.

Not believing that ASU can get in at 7-4 - they will need to be 8-3 yet again they are in a critical game this week and need to beat Wofford

WrenFGun
October 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I don't believe a 7-4 team will make the playoffs this year. There are a lot of teams in a good spot to go 8-3 or better and frankly, if everyone just wins the games they should (won't happen) I'm not sure all the 8-3 major conference teams would get in.

I can say right now that I think UNH at 7-4 would likely be out.

Go Apps
October 16th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I don't believe a 7-4 team will make the playoffs this year. There are a lot of teams in a good spot to go 8-3 or better and frankly, if everyone just wins the games they should (won't happen) I'm not sure all the 8-3 major conference teams would get in.

I can say right now that I think UNH at 7-4 would likely be out.

Hard to say on N. Hampshire - I believe you have the longest active streak of playoff appearances ? If so they would be hard to leave out but I just see that as a likely possibility

Skyhawk71
October 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM
In a crazy scenario, that makes me sick to my stomach- TSU finishes 10-1 or 11-0; EKU finishes 9-2 and my Skyhawks get to stay home at 8-3; even with wins over Memphis, Southeast Louisiana and losses to MAC 6-1 Northern Illinois, EKU and potentially TSU; upside I think we will choke at SEMO or Tech, and hate beating Jax State even when we are better than them........so upside I probably won't have to live through that scenario...........

kalm
October 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM

That would be a tough one to justify and would of course depend on which team from the BSC. Believe it or not, we actually have a few "named" teams out west too. :D

Eaglesrus
October 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I think GA Southern can get in at 7 - 4 if App State beats Wofford and us. My thought process is this; we are #3 now, I would think that a loss to Furman or Chattanooga wouldn't drop us more than 10 spots to #13. Then a loss to a top 10 App State (after a win over Wofford) drops us 3 or 4 more spots. Assuming a loss to UGA doesn't really hurt us, we're still in the top 20. This assumes we beat Howard and either Furman or Chattanooga, both of which might actually improve our rank at that time. Though 7 - 4, if we're in the top 20 I don't see us being left out. On the other hand, I think winning out is the better option.

putter
October 16th, 2012, 09:08 AM
No way Montana gets in. They would only have 1 quality win over MSU if they won out. Heck, Montana may not even BE a quality win this year......just sayin'

GannonFan
October 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM

JMU couldn't outbid EKU for a home game last year, so why would they mean $$$ to the NCAA? The only two teams that could have $$$ behind them that could get in at 7-4 would be Montana or Appy St, and even then, if there are enough 8-3 teams out there to bump them (including from their own conferences) they won't get in either.

Name helps, but wins help even better.

Go Apps
October 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM
JMU couldn't outbid EKU for a home game last year, so why would they mean $$$ to the NCAA? The only two teams that could have $$$ behind them that could get in at 7-4 would be Montana or Appy St, and even then, if there are enough 8-3 teams out there to bump them (including from their own conferences) they won't get in either.

Name helps, but wins help even better.

Not sure names will help this year either - schedules will really have to be disected and again a team like Cal Poly IMO has not played anybody yet stands #1 in the Sargins for FBS - go figure...

VUCats02
October 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
In the CAA, Richmond, Delaware, Towson, UNH, Nova, all have chances of going 7-4. If that were the case, my guess is at least 1 or 2 of them would get in. I do believe that some 7-4 teams that played FBS opponents might sneak in over an 8-3 team that did not play an FBS team.

GannonFan
October 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
In the CAA, Richmond, Delaware, Towson, UNH, Nova, all have chances of going 7-4. If that were the case, my guess is at least 1 or 2 of them would get in. I do believe that some 7-4 teams that played FBS opponents might sneak in over an 8-3 team that did not play an FBS team.

UD wouldn't get in with a 7-4 record - played West Chester this year and that brings down the DI win total.

And you don't get credit just for scheduling a money game with an FBS team. If you beat them, yes, that helps, but losing never helps.

GtFllsGriz
October 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM
This Griz will not be in the playoffs this season, period. There are way too many teams with better records and wins to even be considered. The BSC is very tough with the additions that were made. Plus the uneven schedule is going to make it very difficult to pick the participants this season.