PDA

View Full Version : WKU to the SunBelt in 2007?

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=113064

Just a little blurb but supposidly this thing is picking up steam at WKU.

They'd be in the Sun Belt for all sports (not sure if that's a good thing or not xlolx ).

That would leave the Gateway at:

SIU, IL St, IN St, MO St, UNI, YSU, and WIU.

Would they consider expanding?

Who would be the targets?

What about Drake and Wichita St?

Killtoppers90
July 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
I thought we had to give 2 years notice to the Gateway in order to transfer? Maybe someone told me incorrectly. But STILL this is speculation until someone on The Hill speaks it officially!

dbackjon
July 31st, 2006, 12:07 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=113064

Just a little blurb but supposidly this thing is picking up steam at WKU.

They'd be in the Sun Belt for all sports (not sure if that's a good thing or not xlolx ).

What about Drake and Wichita St?

That would be the best scenario for the Sunbelt (ninth team for football, and a current all-sports member - since the Sunbelt is at lucky 13, they would either have to get a 14th member, or convince WKU to go I-A.

Now the real question is - does WKU WANT the Sunbelt - there is a lot of grumbling in Hilltopper land that the Sunbelt is too weak of a BB conference (which drives the boat in Bowling Green) - and would like to get into a stronger BB conference. Plus - do they want to committ the extra resources to make the jump to I-A? The only plus for WKU is rekindling the football rivalry with MTSU.

Maroons
July 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
xcoffeex

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 12:31 PM
MplsBison...

With all due respect this news is all 2-3 years old. That's how long articles like this have been appearing for. If you read the Hilltopper Haven message board (as I certainly do from time to time) there were many on there who claimed it was a done deal over two years ago (read the back posts).

Here is the real deal...

The Sunbelt absolutely wants Western to do this. WKU is already a conference member, and the Sunbelt needs additional football membership badly. WKU very well could do this, but it's pretty clear they are still weighing their options at this time.

To answer your other question...if it did happen I would not take it as an automatic that the Gateway would expand. I'm basing this on the fact that when WKU joined they weren't replacing anyone...they were simply an addition..meaning that if they did leave the Gateway would be in the exact same format that they've already existed in (successfully) before. I think they would take their time rather than taking any quick and decisive actions.

Also, there is no possible way that WKU could compete in the Sunbelt officially in 2007 even if they made the decision yesterday. There is a transition period to deal with. They would likely play quite a few Sunbelt teams on a non-conference basis in the first year.

Killtoppers90
July 31st, 2006, 12:59 PM
No doubt on that 05! From what I have found, IF we announce something this season, WKU will play a mostly 1-AA schedule in 2007, a mostly 1-A schedule in 2008 and a full 1-A Sunbelt schedule in 2009. I'd love to go 1-A as long as we can keep the EKU game every season! I love playing EKU, just like they love playing us!

Maroons
July 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
No doubt on that 05! From what I have found, IF we announce something this season, WKU will play a mostly 1-AA schedule in 2007, a mostly 1-A schedule in 2008 and a full 1-A Sunbelt schedule in 2009. I'd love to go 1-A as long as we can keep the EKU game every season! I love playing EKU, just like they love playing us!

Do you think you guys would actually play a home and home with Eastern if Western went I-A and EKU stayed I-AA?

I don't really see it happening. I'm also not sure we'd want to play a hated rival that always had the advantage of about 20 scholarships.

I think a WKU move to I-A would kill the "Battle of the Bluegrass" until such a time as either Eastern moved up or Western came back or the NCAA abolished D-I distinctions.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 02:18 PM
I agree 100% Maroons. WKU moves...the series ends (unless we go I-A also). I don't want the series to end, but if Western moves we won't have much of a choice. Even if we were Ok with playing a team that has 22 more scholarships...they would still want us to always come to BG and there's no way we would do that.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 02:49 PM
How is the MAC a stronger basketball conferene than the Sun Belt?

Each got one team in the big dance (Kent/S Ala).

So, to that I would think that WKU would like to keep the basketball rivalries that they have with MTSU and Troy going in football.

Unless you're talking about the Mizzou Valley. Obviously that would be an upgrade in bball but I don't think they're looking at WKU or they would've added them.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 02:55 PM
The MAC is nominally better in terms of level of play. Last year's RPI had the MAC as the 16th best conference with the SBC at 18. It should be noted that this was a VERY down year for the MAC, but that's not the real issue for WKU.

They like the MAC because of the overall programs, better fan support, and a much better collective academic reputation. Almost all of the MAC schools are legit Doctoral leve institutions. The SBC is kind of like the island of misfit toys for schools that might be a little too big for their old conference but can't seem to find any real big-time home.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Ohio and Miami. Yes I can see these as legit research schools.

But the rest?

You're joking right?

SO ILLmatic
July 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM

No, once WKU heads for I-A the Gateway is going to fold and all of its members are going to join the GWC. And they will be bringing the Auto-Bid for the i-aa playoffs with them. xlolx

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing WIU coming over to join their Mid Con brothers, but you can keep the rest.

Killtoppers90
July 31st, 2006, 04:09 PM
I think a WKU move to I-A would kill the "Battle of the Bluegrass" until such a time as either Eastern moved up or Western came back or the NCAA abolished D-I distinctions.

I agree Maroons, it would kill one of the best football traditions out there anywhere. But I see your points as to why it would end. And it sucks!

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Ohio and Miami. Yes I can see these as legit research schools.

But the rest?

You're joking right?

Even the directionl Michigans are Doctoral Level istitutions. I've been trying to find a MAC member that isn't, but haven't yet. Maybe Akron or somebody like that.

SO ILLmatic
July 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing WIU coming over to join their Mid Con brothers, but you can keep the rest.

Not even for the opportunity of the auto-bid?????

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Nope, I just checked and even Kent State, Akron, and Northern Illinois have a significant number of Doctoral level programs.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Not even for the opportunity of the auto-bid?????

We only need WIU to able to gain an auto in 2010.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/index.asp?key=63&search_flag=true&ref=783&start=783&BASIC2005=16&class_displaycount=10000&class_start=1

Here are the Carnegie "high research" schools (NDSU is here).

Only Miami, Ohio, Akron, Kent, and Toledo make the cut.

And only Ball State and Central Michigan qualify for the basic "research" ranking.

The rest are not ranked as doctoral research schools.

Cap'n Cat
July 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM
We only need WIU to able to gain an auto in 2010.

: smh : : smh : : smh :

Jesus, Bise, you just can't quit, can you?

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

MplsBison
July 31st, 2006, 05:00 PM
Not saying they'd come over.

Just hoping.

Hoping for some strong action from the Mid Con brass.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/index.asp?key=63&search_flag=true&ref=783&start=783&BASIC2005=16&class_displaycount=10000&class_start=1

Here are the Carnegie "high research" schools (NDSU is here).

Only Miami, Ohio, Akron, Kent, and Toledo make the cut.

And only Ball State and Central Michigan qualify for the basic "research" ranking.

The rest are not ranked as doctoral research schools.

NIU, according to their own website offers 10 Doctoral programs. If that's true then we're talking about 2/3 of the conference...a number I bet the SBC cannot match.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/news/2006/03/083.html

There's a very recent article that adds Western Michigan to the list as well. Now we're talking ahout 9 out 12.

youwouldno
July 31st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Why would anyone want to play football in the Sun Belt?

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Now THAT is a good question.

Killtoppers90
July 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM
Because it is 1-A ball? A better possibility for national tv exposure? No playoff system? These are just ideas - didn't say they were good ones!

July 31st, 2006, 06:45 PM
No playoff system...I think the question was why would anyone want to play football in the SBC, not reasons why they would not.:nod:

Maroons
July 31st, 2006, 08:06 PM
Because it is 1-A ball?

Sun-Belt better than Gateway? Hmm... debatable.

A better possibility for national tv exposure?

Maybe I'll concede this point... but is that all athletics is anymore?

No playoff system?

Sounds like a reason to stay I-AA to me. The BCS will NEVER EVER call WKU for the title game. Even if you're undefeated SBC champs with a win over Miss. State or Kansas.

BearsCountry
July 31st, 2006, 08:13 PM
I think with WKU making the move, look for the Bears to follow suit.

galojay
July 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM
That would be the best scenario for the Sunbelt (ninth team for football, and a current all-sports member - since the Sunbelt is at lucky 13, they would either have to get a 14th member, or convince WKU to go I-A.

WKU going I-A in Sun Belt doesn't change the the 13th. SBC has eight football, adding WKU would bring them to nine, but still leave them at 13 teams overall because WKU is already in SBC for all other sports.

SBC needs to find a home for Denver and bring the overall conference for basketball down to 12.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think with WKU making the move, look for the Bears to follow suit.

You're assuming WKU will make the move. That's far from certain.

Also, there is no debate...the Gateway is clearly better than the Subelt IMO.

galojay
July 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM
The MAC is nominally better in terms of level of play. Last year's RPI had the MAC as the 16th best conference with the SBC at 18. It should be noted that this was a VERY down year for the MAC, but that's not the real issue for WKU.

They like the MAC because of the overall programs, better fan support, and a much better collective academic reputation. Almost all of the MAC schools are legit Doctoral leve institutions. The SBC is kind of like the island of misfit toys for schools that might be a little too big for their old conference but can't seem to find any real big-time home.

You have to look at more than one year to get a picture. The MAC has consistantly been better, RPI and # of teams in, then the SBC in basketball. Also another key thing is TV contracts and number of bowl games.

Discussing the MAC is a mute point though, the MAC doesn't seem to be interested in WKU any longer. They have a mess with Temple they got to figure out. IF WKU wants I-A football, SBC is their only option. So that is what it comes down to, do they want I-A?

kats89
July 31st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Why does WKU want to move to a crappy I-A conference like the Sunbelt?xlolx

SO ILLmatic
July 31st, 2006, 08:44 PM
WKU still going to the MAC would make sense. Since Temple is starting play next year, they would be in the eastern division and the Hilltoppers would be in the Western division. The MAC would resemble the two division 7 team format they had when Marshall and Central FL were members.

Also, WKU wouldnt necessarily have to join the MAC for all sports because the conference gave Temple the opportunity to only join as a football member. This showed once again that football is not like any other sport that the NCAA sponsors.

igo4uni
July 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

therealbigredrules
July 31st, 2006, 09:24 PM
MplsBison...

With all due respect this news is all 2-3 years old. That's how long articles like this have been appearing for. If you read the Hilltopper Haven message board (as I certainly do from time to time) there were many on there who claimed it was a done deal over two years ago (read the back posts).

Here is the real deal...

The Sunbelt absolutely wants Western to do this. WKU is already a conference member, and the Sunbelt needs additional football membership badly. WKU very well could do this, but it's pretty clear they are still weighing their options at this time.

To answer your other question...if it did happen I would not take it as an automatic that the Gateway would expand. I'm basing this on the fact that when WKU joined they weren't replacing anyone...they were simply an addition..meaning that if they did leave the Gateway would be in the exact same format that they've already existed in (successfully) before. I think they would take their time rather than taking any quick and decisive actions.

Also, there is no possible way that WKU could compete in the Sunbelt officially in 2007 even if they made the decision yesterday. There is a transition period to deal with. They would likely play quite a few Sunbelt teams on a non-conference basis in the first year.

Very well said 05.
To sum up it up....I think what you are seeing from the WKU side is an overall Frustration with the Sun Belt, not a frustration with the Gateway or I-AA. Bottom line, most WKU fans want out of the Sun Belt but have no other place to call home. Going ugly early is not the answer here...even with a few beers in the system.

ncbears
July 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Why does WKU want to move to a crappy I-A conference like the Sunbelt?xlolx

I agree. Have fun in the Sun Belt!:confused: :confused: xidiotx xidiotx

BearsCountry
July 31st, 2006, 09:51 PM
You're assuming WKU will make the move. That's far from certain.

It might be, but to move up to CUSA or to advance higher for future purposes Sun Belt is the place to start.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 10:10 PM
I agree with that... responding to an earlier post my fellow Colonel fan Maroons who said the Gateway might be better than the Sunbelt. I absolutely agree that the Sunbelt might be a necessary starting point for a move further up...but it's a risky one. There could be further moves, but C-USA seems pretty stable at 12 teams for the forseeable future.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Why would anyone want to play football in the Sun Belt?

Here we go agai...aw hell never mind. xcoffeex :nonono2: :nonono2:

youwouldno
July 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry, but the "I-A at any cost" crowd is really, really annoying. If you want to have your team in the Sun Belt, you don't belong on this board. You aren't a football fan.

As to the idea of "moving up" once in the Sun Belt, that's a hilariously foolish idea. One, I might add, much more common among "fans" than among university administrations. The latter group, having actual responsibility and knowledge, realize that not only is such a plan a pipe dream with no timetable, but a financially dangerous one as well.

Specific to WKU... I guess the ultimate question is, if Kentucky sucks in I-A despite being in the SEC, how would Western Kentucky go about being competitive in I-A? Rational analysis: not possible, at least at a high level ( winning in the Sun Belt doesn't count, just a money losing Bowl game as a result).

FlyYtown
July 31st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I will be the first to say, I want YSU to get going and move up to I-A. We need to grab the top scouts out of NE Ohio from these embarrassments of programs known as Akron and Kent who put 5-10,000 into their places each game.

Although YSU averages around 15k, we get no respect from these schools, maybe because we have more wins head to head with each they are scared to play us now....

galojay
July 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
Specific to WKU... I guess the ultimate question is, if Kentucky sucks in I-A despite being in the SEC, how would Western Kentucky go about being competitive in I-A? Rational analysis: not possible, at least at a high level ( winning in the Sun Belt doesn't count, just a money losing Bowl game as a result).

Ask Louisville. I am not disagreeing with you, but they rose from nothing to Big East and Preseason Top 25.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry, but the "I-A at any cost" crowd is really, really annoying. If you want to have your team in the Sun Belt, you don't belong on this board. You aren't a football fan.

As to the idea of "moving up" once in the Sun Belt, that's a hilariously foolish idea. One, I might add, much more common among "fans" than among university administrations. The latter group, having actual responsibility and knowledge, realize that not only is such a plan a pipe dream with no timetable, but a financially dangerous one as well.

And why can't an individual school choose its own path without folks on the IAA board coming unglued? It's okay for every Division II and lower division short of Grennell to move up to Division I, but if a IAA school does the same, watch out.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 10:53 PM

Why don't you just go ahead and say. If you don't agree with me, you're stupid?xcoffeex

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 10:57 PM

I generally oppose most moves to I-A, but that really made almost no sense. What does UK have to do with anything at all? Clearly you can succeed in football in this state...look at Louisville in the pre-season top 10in many polls with a very real shot at a BCS Bowl....and they just signed arguably the best young coach in the game to a 10 year $25 million deal.

wannabegaucho
July 31st, 2006, 11:21 PM
1. The Sun Belt never wins bowl games
2. I'd take Gateway trips to Illinois over trips to Denton, Texas
3. Why not the MAC? I'd take DeKalb and Akron too

BearsCountry
July 31st, 2006, 11:22 PM

So I am not a football fan bc I want my team to move up. xidiotx Even though I follow all college football from I-A to NAIA. I like I-AA football alot, I think its good but it doesn't get the respect that it deserves. Especially in a region where you are considered sub-standard for being in I-AA. Its not true, but when you are looking at potential students for your school its harsh reality. That saying the playoff situtation and Gateway conference would be big pluses for staying I-AA.

youwouldno
July 31st, 2006, 11:27 PM
Louisville has a much stronger overall athletic profile than WKU. They won all kinds of C-USA titles in various sports, and are flush with cash. That money and good leadership took their football program up and now they are in a BCS conference.

WKU simply does not have the resources or starting position that Louisville had. Moving to the Sun Belt won't help.

Programs can do whatever they want. My point was that some fans, particularly the gung-ho I-A crowd, don't know anything about the real logistics and long-term prospects of a move to I-A. That's why App fans whine about being in I-AA but their administration has so far resisted the pressure to move I-A at any cost.

This is a I-AA football board. If you want to dream about rooting for a crappy I-A team instead of a good I-AA team, that's fine, but create a board for that. "Football Inferiority Complex" or something. Maybe one day you'll realize that WKU or App St or whoever is never going to compete with the Florida's, Texas, Southern Cal, and so on. It just isn't going to happen. Become a bandwagon fan of a school that's already BCS, if you can't handle the shame of liking playoff football.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Louisville has a much stronger overall athletic profile than WKU. They won all kinds of C-USA titles in various sports, and are flush with cash. That money and good leadership took their football program up and now they are in a BCS conference.

WKU simply does not have the resources or starting position that Louisville had. Moving to the Sun Belt won't help.

Programs can do whatever they want. My point was that some fans, particularly the gung-ho I-A crowd, don't know anything about the real logistics and long-term prospects of a move to I-A. That's why App fans whine about being in I-AA but their administration has so far resisted the pressure to move I-A at any cost.

This is a I-AA football board. If you want to dream about rooting for a crappy I-A team instead of a good I-AA team, that's fine, but create a board for that. "Football Inferiority Complex" or something. Maybe one day you'll realize that WKU or App St or whoever is never going to compete with the Florida's, Texas, Southern Cal, and so on. It just isn't going to happen. Become a bandwagon fan of a school that's already BCS, if you can't handle the shame of liking playoff football.

It took you four graphs to say what I urged you to go ahead and say in two words four posts ago. And no, I will not become a bandwagon fan of a BCS. There are enough of those out there already.

youwouldno
July 31st, 2006, 11:47 PM
I wasn't just addressing you. Obviously you're stupid.

EKU05
July 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM
UK always had a much stronger athletic profile than U of L also. Times change.

That said, I still think it would be a HUGE mistake for WKU to move in the near future. They would simply be another MTSU, and I think that their administration is aware of that and is being cautious.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 11:57 PM
I wasn't just addressing you. Obviously you're stupid.

For some reason I feel better and my wife now has that second opinion.

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Apparently Cat79 from over on BobcatFans.com is reporting a WKU move to the Sun Belt. Does he know something that none of us do?

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9315

dbackjon
August 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM
WKU going I-A in Sun Belt doesn't change the the 13th. SBC has eight football, adding WKU would bring them to nine, but still leave them at 13 teams overall because WKU is already in SBC for all other sports.

SBC needs to find a home for Denver and bring the overall conference for basketball down to 12.

Um - that is exactly what I said - either convince WKU to go I-A, and stay at 13, or get another full-member, go to 14 overall, 9 football.

galojay
August 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM

My point is Louisville didn't always have the resources they did. They actually used to have less than WKU. They were lucky coming up through the Metro Conference into the Conf USA.

Anything is possible, but definitely the deck is stacked against you.

SO ILLmatic
August 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
I had to post this link that posters on a Sun Belt message board are saying about the differences between i-aa football and their conference. It's a humorous read to say the least.

http://www.beltboard.com/forum/board_entry.php?id=18427&page=0&category=all&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC

dbackjon
August 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
I had to post this link that posters on a Sun Belt message board are saying about the differences between i-aa football and their conference. It's a humorous read to say the least.

http://www.beltboard.com/forum/board_entry.php?id=18427&page=0&category=all&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC

We need to introduce SpaceRaider to MplsBison ;)

WUTNDITWAA
August 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM

Yeah, like the people who haven't experienced the transition don't know what they're talking about.:rolleyes:

Killtoppers90
August 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
1. The Sun Belt never wins bowl games
2. I'd take Gateway trips to Illinois over trips to Denton, Texas
3. Why not the MAC? I'd take DeKalb and Akron too
1) I like the geographics footprint of the SBC for WKU over the MAC
2) I hate Buffalo, so Denton would be okay with me
3) The geographic rivalires are better in SBC than MAC ...IMHO.

douglasdmb
August 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM

When you go to a UL-Monroe vs. UL-Lafayette game, sure. But UL-Monroe vs. Idaho?

If the SBC is geographically better than the MAC, it's not by much.

dbackjon
August 1st, 2006, 02:19 PM
When you go to a UL-Monroe vs. UL-Lafayette game, sure. But UL-Monroe vs. Idaho?

If the SBC is geographically better than the MAC, it's not by much.

Idaho is not in the Sunbelt for football anymore - neither is Utah State - both are in the WAC.

The only advantage for WKU and the Sunbelt is MTSU.

Cocky
August 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
I will let WKU and its fans decide whether or not to go I-A.

I will be a fan of JSU whether we are I-AA or I-A. I enjoy I-AA football but JSU is more important to me than I-AA or whatever division we are members.

Good Luck to WKU on whatever decision is made.

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM
Idaho is not in the Sunbelt for football anymore - neither is Utah State - both are in the WAC.

The only advantage for WKU and the Sunbelt is MTSU.

Arkansas State isn't bad either. Also I think trips to Dallas, Miami are a little better than going to Carbondale or Cedar Falls, nothing against those places.

EKU05
August 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
There is no way that the geographic rivalries are better in the SBC. The MAC boasts 9 of it's 12 teams in only 2 states (6 in Ohio, 3 in Michigan). The SBC is a little more scattered because, as I mentioned, it is basically made up of teams that haven't quite figured out where to go.

The SBC has two teams in Florida, and is scattered all over the South (and I'm using the term South liberally). Also, until they find a better home they have DENVER!!! Granted that Denver doesn't play football.

GeauxColonels
August 1st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Arkansas State isn't bad either. Also I think trips to Dallas, Miami are a little better than going to Carbondale or Cedar Falls, nothing against those places.
Maybe there are better things to do in Dallas and Miami, but they would be visiting for football, so that shouldn't play into the argument (for the fans....then it's a different story). I would think that Carbondale and Cedar Falls are closer trips for WKU than Miami for sure and probably closer than Dallas (actually Denton, TX) as well.

Killtoppers90
August 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
Maybe there are better things to do in Dallas and Miami, but they would be visiting for football, so that shouldn't play into the argument (for the fans....then it's a different story). I would think that Carbondale and Cedar Falls are closer trips for WKU than Miami for sure and probably closer than Dallas (actually Denton, TX) as well.
You might be right there, but I was thinking that WKU could easily stoke the fires of a contempuous BBall rivalry with MTSU into a gridiron one. And we could travel well to Troy, MTSU, Arkansas St and into Louisiana just was well as we could Michigan, Ohio, NY, Penn and the like. And I still beleive that Southern football is superior to Nothern, Just my opinion.

GeauxColonels
August 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
You might be right there, but I was thinking that WKU could easily stoke the fires of a contempuous BBall rivalry with MTSU into a gridiron one. And we could travel well to Troy, MTSU, Arkansas St and into Louisiana just was well as we could Michigan, Ohio, NY, Penn and the like. And I still beleive that Southern football is superior to Nothern, Just my opinion.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good fit for WKU, I was just adressing that particular statement.

galojay
August 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM
There is no way that the geographic rivalries are better in the SBC. The MAC boasts 9 of it's 12 teams in only 2 states (6 in Ohio, 3 in Michigan). The SBC is a little more scattered because, as I mentioned, it is basically made up of teams that haven't quite figured out where to go.

The SBC has two teams in Florida, and is scattered all over the South (and I'm using the term South liberally). Also, until they find a better home they have DENVER!!! Granted that Denver doesn't play football.

Honestly, the footprint of the Sun Belt is no worse than the ACC, SEC, Big East, WAC, or Conference USA.

Basically made up of teams that haven't quite figured out where to go??? They are all southern state schools. The only real challenge is Denver, but they don't play football and that's what we're talking about right?

dbackjon
August 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Honestly, the footprint of the Sun Belt is no worse than the ACC, SEC, Big East, WAC, or Conference USA.

Basically made up of teams that haven't quite figured out where to go??? They are all southern state schools. The only real challenge is Denver, but they don't play football and that's what we're talking about right?

Miami to Dallas is a long ways.

C-USA isn't much better - El Paso to West Virginia.

ACC/SEC can afford the travel.

From a football travel sense, Sunbelt vs Gateway would probably be a wash - in the Gateway, you can bus to SIU and Ind St easily, longer to MSU, ILL ST and YSU and WIU. UNI is a haul.

In the Sunbelt, easy trip to MTSU. ASU is not too bad, either is ULM. Troy is a long bus ride. UNT, FAU and FIU are flights, no doubt.

wannabegaucho
August 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
1) I like the geographics footprint of the SBC for WKU over the MAC
2) I hate Buffalo, so Denton would be okay with me
We're just fans of different parts of the country, I guess.

Killtoppers90
August 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
We're just fans of different parts of the country, I guess.
True enough but not a big issue. Just a difference of opinons, that's what makes America and this forum GREAT!