PDA

View Full Version : How does Villanova afford a football program...

Cleets
October 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Is this a situation where their basketball program covers the costs..?
I watched the Villanova Richmond game and when they accidentally pan by the crowd nobody was at the game
and I mean literally NOBODY and I kept watching out of morbid fascination
Each time either QB threw a long pass they were forced to follow the ball which would then show the stands panning by
1500 people..?
Maybe fewer than that

And this is seriously entertaining high quality football between two good programs

eaglewraith
October 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM
You sure you weren't watching the Ga State game by accident?

Sader87
October 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Both schools are preparing to join the Patriot League where attendance at football games, while not exactly frowned upon, is not exactly encouraged either.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Your forgetting Pards where even mentioning the football team is grounds for dismissal.

Bill
October 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Cleets

They don't make anything off of football, period. Here are the quick facts from the last NCAA report in 2010:

No athletics programs reported net generated revenues in 2009.
The median negative net generated revenue (expenses in excess of
generated revenues) in 2008 was $7,937,000 and $8,704,000 in
2009. The net losses have increased steadily over the six year period.
(4.5)
• Only two percent of football programs and six percent of men’s
basketball programs, and two percent of women’s basketball
programs reported net generated revenues (surpluses) for 2009,
which is consistent over recent years. These net generated revenues
are minimal. The median losses for the remaining programs in 2009
are $1,453,000 for football, $601,000 for men’s basketball, and
$745,000 for women’s basketball. (4.6)

Gringer1
October 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
You have to remember that many of those teams reporting no surplus are reinvesting their money. If they make any money above expenditures, they find something to spend it on.

VUCats02
October 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Have no idea what game Cleets was watching. I was there. It was a pretty good turnout for Nova standards. At least 7-8000 in attendance.

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Have no idea what game Cleets was watching. I was there. It was a pretty good turnout for Nova standards. At least 7-8000 in attendance.

OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE 7,117

Cleets
October 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Well they must have been wearing special invisi-shields because I was watching
and they did not show up on the camera
on one shot where they (Nova) were kicking an extra point into the wind direction - there was literally NOBODY as in NOT ONE PERSON other than the kid who runs and goes to get the ball

If there were 7000 people there where were they hiding..?

kdinva
October 6th, 2012, 09:06 PM
OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE 7,117

tickets sold, or fannies in seats?

VUCats02
October 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
That's because on those angles they only show the parts of the stands on the 20 yard line, and I would say about 80% of the crowd sits on the home side which is on the side that the camera is on, meaning none of those people ever get shown and only the visiting side is ever shown.

spdram
October 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I listened to the game and the crowd was fairly loud on the radio, wondered if the camera was on visitors side. My guess would be the Spiders brought between 500 & 1,000.

WataugaDave
October 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM
You have to remember that many of those teams reporting no surplus are reinvesting their money. If they make any money above expenditures, they find something to spend it on.

This is something that Appalachian, as a program and a school, has to deal with. Any surplus money at the end of the year goes back to the UNC system. It behooves them to find something to spend it on.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Both schools are preparing to join the Patriot League where attendance at football games, while not exactly frowned upon, is not exactly encouraged either.

Richmond has sold all tickets Available to it's last 8 home games.

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
tickets sold, or fannies in seats?

DON'T KNOW.....7,117...COUNT IS LISTED IN BOX SCORE.........AWK!

AH'D GO WHIFF.... TICKETS SOLD....DOODLE-DOO!

HailSzczur
October 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
7k sounds about right. The Nova side was at least 2/3 full. The away side was pretty full as well, Richmond traveled really well, props to you guys.

I don't know the exact figures on the cost/profit of each sport, but I know the football program is a considerable expenditure each year. The bball program does make a profit, but I'm not sure that they cover it. You pose a good question Cleets, one that some people brought up when we were rejected by the BE. It will be interesting to see in the coming years if the school is willing to shell out the money necessary now the that "carrot" of bigtime football is no longer being dangled in front of us.

HailSzczur
October 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
And by the way, while we're on the subject of the VU UR game, congrats to the Spiders on the win. The thing that I was impressed most with was your O-line. Man were those guys big. Luab had all day to pass, we didn't sack him once (I believe) and at best flushed him out of the pocket on occasions. I was waiting for the offense to have "freshmen QB" game, and tonight was that night.

JMUNJ08
October 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Richmond has sold all tickets Available to it's last 8 home games.

Reducing capacity considerably and moving back to campus will do that. You guys would still do just fine with an extra 5k if they let you.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Reducing capacity considerably and moving back to campus will do that. You guys would still do just fine with an extra 5k if they let you.

I don't disagree. I was just trying to point out that its generally unfair to lump us with Villanova as far as crowd support goes.