PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 7.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I went 4-0 today. This is where I have it after today's games. Number in parenthesis indicates number of D1 wins needed to be considered eligible for the playoffs and number of D1 games left.

1) Georgia Southern (3 of 6) - takes down WCU in a convincing fashion
2) Wofford (3 of 6) - tough choice dropping them to the 2 spot, but they had a close one vs. Furman
3) Samford (3 of 5) - back to their winning ways
4) Appalachian State (3 of 5) - continues a longstanding winning streak against Elon
5) Chattanooga (5 of 6) - has the week off
6) The Citadel (4 of 5) - great start now sputtering
7) Furman (5 of 5) - tough loss against Wofford now places them on the bubble
8) Elon (out)- has not beaten ASU since 1964
9) Western Carolina (out) - what can I say Catamounts fans? Be patient.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Furman - must win game to keep their playoff hopes alive
Western Carolina @ The Citadel - Bulldogs should have no problem with WCU
Appalachian State @ Samford (Game of the week #1) - must win game to stay in SoCon autobid race
Wofford @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week #2) - winner of this game has inside track to win SoCon title/autobid

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Chattanooga needs to win 5 of 5 to make the playoffs.

I think Wofford is solidly upper-echelon after today, we'll see what they do Saturday.

eagle07
October 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM

I think Wofford is solidly upper-echelon after today, we'll see what they do Saturday.

The man is right, chatty has to win out, they are playing better.... but hell will not freeze over

GATA_Eagles
October 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM
1) Wofford - Furman was tough but the close win wasn't enough to drop them from the top spot.
2) Georgia Southern - Routed Western in a dominating fashion. Found a reliable quarterback and looking forward to the Wofford game.
3) Appalachian State - Struggled early with Elon but managed to keep the rock in tact.
4) Samford - Demolished The Citadel. Still has a chance at the conference with its one loss
5) Chattanooga - Week off and The Citadel losing again moved you up
6) The Citadel - Caught App and GSU at the right time. Still has a (small) chance of a playoff berth.
7) Furman - Good showing against Wofford, just not enough to put the game away.
8) Elon - Showed that it can put up a fight against progams like GSU and App. Will win some games going forward.
9) Western Carolina - This is still the rebuilding year. Had a few big stops against GSU today.

Predictions:
Chattanooga @ Furman - Furman showed it can compete this past week against Wofford. Should take care of Chattanooga in front of the home crowd.
Western Carolina @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take care of business.
Appalachian State @ Samford - If they perform the way they did against The Citadel, Samford should win this one.
Wofford @ Georgia Southern - I'm skeptical to pick this game. Since 2007 (I believe), the road team has always won the contest. If the Eagles play with the confidence they did today, Paulson should be adding another W to the home streak.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chattanooga's schedule is as follows: @Furman (Oct 13), Samford (Oct 20), Georgia Southern (Oct 27), @Western Carolina (Nov 3), @Wofford (Nov 10) and Elon (Nov 17). Outlook for them making the playoffs not good at all.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
By the way, anyone who overlooks Furman is in for a rude awakening.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM

I've been saying this all year. I thought Furman/Woff would be a coin toss, even though I was thinking it would be a much higher-scoring game.

I think we are ready for Wofford, though. I know Western is not a good defensive team, but our offense now looks way more comfortable with things than they have been.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I've been saying this all year. I thought Furman/Woff would be a coin toss, even though I was thinking it would be a much higher-scoring game.

I think we are ready for Wofford, though. I know Western is not a good defensive team, but our offense now looks way more comfortable with things than they have been.

Western has that effect on people.....but yes, I expect next week to be similar yet different of a game for Wofford vs GSU. The key to beating an option team is dominating the TOS. Wofford had quite a few injuries today, but both sides of the field looked stellar in the second half despite that. GSU won't pass the ball as well as Furman

Surprise Surprise, I like Wofford's chances. With that said, this is at Paulson.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Western has that effect on people......

It wasn't just them. The overall execution was better...no bobbled or missed pitches, or fumbles on the handoff. None of those mistakes were caused by anything an opposing team did. We've had maybe one turnover this year that was caused by an opposing team's defense. Our passing did look better today, but that one you can probably pin on Western.

But I think you are right about the GSU-Wofford game. If history is any indicator, Wofford has a better chance of winning in Statesboro than any team in this conference. That home team in the GSU-Wofford series is on a 7-game losing streak.

Can we play this game in Spartanburg?

eaglewraith
October 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Western has that effect on people.....but yes, I expect next week to be similar yet different of a game for Wofford vs GSU. The key to beating an option team is dominating the TOS. Wofford had quite a few injuries today, but both sides of the field looked stellar in the second half despite that. GSU won't pass the ball as well as Furman

Surprise Surprise, I like Wofford's chances. With that said, this is at Paulson.

Get ready to face the best DL you'll see all season.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Mark me down now, but Furman will win the SoCon in the next two years. Furman plays a bunch of freshmen and gave Wofford all they wanted in Spartanburg and likely could have won the game today.

Hats off to the Terriers, though. They showed some tough resolve on a day when their offense really wasn't getting it done for them. Ayers really utilized their 50 look to confuse a freshman quarterback, and that probably won them the game.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Mark me down now, but Furman will win the SoCon in the next two years. Furman plays a bunch of freshmen and gave Wofford all they wanted in Spartanburg and likely could have won the game today.

Hats off to the Terriers, though. They showed some tough resolve on a day when their offense really wasn't getting it done for them. Ayers really utilized their 50 look to confuse a freshman quarterback, and that probably won them the game.

Ehhhh.....I wouldn't say we were shut down in the second half.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Get ready to face the best running back you'll see all season.

See, I can do that too.

eaglewraith
October 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Get ready to face the best running back you'll see all season.

See, I can do that too.

Yep, he got ~60 yards last year.

He should be quite acquainted with our DL :)

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Yep, he got ~60 yards last year.

He should be quite acquainted with our DL :)

And Furman pounded the **** out of us last year, guess that means they should do the same this yea----oh wait.

GSU EAGLES
October 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM
And Furman pounded the **** out of us last year, guess that means they should do the same this yea----oh wait.

We're not Furman.

eaglewraith
October 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Never said we'd run the score up.

Just said get ready for our defense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a low scoring game on both sides.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2012, 10:17 PM
We're not Furman.

No truer words ever spoken.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ehhhh.....I wouldn't say we were shut down in the second half.

I didn't say Furman shut Wofford down. I did say Wofford had to earn their win.

walliver
October 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM

The best DL we'll see all season shut down UGA tonight.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
GSU's pass rush and defense are both good, make no mistake about that. But the DL hasn't really been tested against a good back, and Samford is the best offense we have faced all year (they're offense is pretty good, but not anything like Wofford's).

IMO it would be a mistake to use last year's Wofford game as a measuring stick for how this year's game will go. This game will be completely different with McKinnon and Kass playing QB versus Shaw and Allen. Last year GSU showed no respect for the pass against Wofford and didn't need to as Mitch Allen couldn't hit any receivers. This year Wofford will have a better passing QB and GSU will have a much more athletic QB who doesn't throw quite as well.

---------------------------------

On the subject of playoff chances, I take back what I said about the SoCon being a one-bid league. I think GSU, Wofford, and App. will all get bids. Samford could get the fourth bid, but I think they will lose to at least one of App. and Wofford, one of Elon and UTC, and probably Kentucky too.

apaladin
October 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Isn't this also true in Furman's case?

seantaylor
October 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM

Only way that happens is if GSU leaves the Socon.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Isn't this also true in Furman's case?

yes.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM

I agree, I think Furman will fight to get into the playoffs or die trying. I can see Furman winning at least three of their remaining games with the Georgia Southern and Appalachian State being a tossup.

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 06:55 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern
3) Samford
4) App State
5) Citadel
6) Furman
7) Chattanooga
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina - it's time to leave the SoCon and join the Big South.

kdinva
October 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Chattanooga 24 @ Furman 28
Western Carolina 12 @ The Citadel 24
Appalachian State 34 @ Samford 21
Wofford 28 @ Georgia Southern 23

Mountaineer#96
October 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
1) Wofford - Still haven't lost, although Furman gave them all they could handle
2) Georgia Southern - Passed the annual WCU tuneup
3) App State - Still looking strong made plays when it mattered, CAN beat anyone
4) Samford - Pounded a down Citadel team
5) Furman - Looked strong against WC, CAN beat anyone
6) Chattanooga - BYE, interesting Furman matchup this week
7) The Citadel - The wheels are coming off the bus after a great start
8) Elon - Should surprise a few teams along the back end of the schedule
9) Western Carolina - Has a chance this week against The Citadel

Chattanooga 28 @ Furman 31
Western Carolina 17 @ The Citadel 30
Appalachian State 42 @ Samford 35
UPSET SPECIAL!!! Wofford 16 @ Georgia Southern 27

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM
1. GSU
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. ASU
5. Furman
6. Chatty
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. WCU

Furman over Chatty
El Cid over WCU
GSU over Wofford
Samford over ASU

walliver
October 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM
1) Wofford - it may still be bad mojo to make a homer pick, but they are undefeated.
2) GSU - The Citadel loss is now a long time ago, but they need to win this week to move up (The GSU schedule so far has only been slightly tougher than Wofford's cake walk).
... gap here ...
3) Samford - We will know a lot more about Samford next Sunday, but they are alos just entering the meat of their schedule.
4) ASU - Not their traditional dominant team, but, aside from the Citadel, they have gotten the job done.
...gap here ...
5) Chatty - bad start, but seem to be turning things around, but relegated to spoiler role at this point.
6) Furman - getting better every week, but Freshman QB is still a freshman, spoilers at best
... gap here ...
7) The Citadel - I don't know how they lost their Mojo, but will need to commit to turning things around. Option teams usually get better as the season progresses, not the bulldogs.
8) Elon - With ASU, GSU and WC out of the way, their season may turn around and they can work their way back to the middle.
9) WCU - you have to beat somebody to move out of the cellar

Predictions:
Wofford 28 - GSU 24 : Two teams known for their running games also have defenses designed to stop the TO. Mistakes make the difference, also the visiting team has won the last 7 games.
Chattanooga 21 - Furman 14 : GAme is probably a toss-up, but Chatty's experience prevails in the end.
App State 35 - Samford 31 : Samford has done well so far, but who have they played? If you add the Sammy-Cit and Cit-ASU scores, Sammy should score 100 (but it doesn't work that way).
Citadel 42 - WCU 28 : The can't-amounts have a chance to catch a reeling Citadel team, but don't have the defense to slow down the TO.

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
1. Wofford - didn't look too good against Furman but they got the win and are still perfect
2. Georgia Southern - looks like they're starting to play better, showdown this week with Woffy for top spot
3. Appalachian State - they're coming. They are looking strong but their pass rush still looks weak which worries me, they have some tough games coming up.
4. Samford - looked solid yesterday. Showdown this week with ol' App State
5. Furman - they are starting to play well. I think they have a better team than Chatty right now
6. Chattanooga - have gotten better but at best I still see them at 6-5
7. Citadel - they have collapsed which is really disappointing, maybe they can get it back together
8. Elon - they've also gotten better and really surprised me yesterday
9. WCU - they have a ways to go, best of luck to them

Wofford 16 @ GaSo 17 - Going to be a thriller, hard fought game of smash-mouth football. I like Georgia Southern's home crowd to propel them to a huge win
Chattanooga 24 @ Furman 31 - interesting game here. I'm gonna say Furman has a big play touchdown late which wins it for them
App State 28 @ Samford 24 - huge game for both teams. I like App though, they know how big this is and I think they'll find a way to win
Western Carolina 17 @ Citadel 20 - maybe the two worst teams in the conference right now. I'll take Citadel on a late field goal

Saint3333
October 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM

App is extremely young as well, see the inconsistency game to game and even quarter to quarter as proof. But hey if App and GSU leave I would agree with you.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
App is extremely young as well, see the inconsistency game to game and even quarter to quarter as proof. But hey if App and GSU leave I would agree with you.

Even if App and GSU stay in, I'll still feel comfortable with my prediction. All respect, because they are a heckuva program, but App State is not the team it was four or five years ago.

The reason I think Furman will be on top is Reese Hannon. Kid is a true freshman and is fourth in the conference in total offense. That guy is going to terrorize SoCon teams for years.

Saint3333
October 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Furman isn't the program they were 8 years ago either. Bo will get better the next couple years.

App1928
October 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Rankings:

1. Wofford - I think they are actually the 3rd best team in the league, but until they lose I refuse to take them down. Next two weeks and we will know.
2. Appalachian State - The Neers' are back. Massive game vs. Samford this week to begin a touch stretch of games.
3. Georgia Southern - Picking the Eagles over Wofford this week by 20....Conference comes down to ASU vs. GSU in a couple of weeks.
4. Samford - Playoff contender...huge game vs. App this weekend. I'm calling the mountaineers by 10, but Samford could pull the upset.
5. Furman - Too little too late in my opinion. Furman can beat anybody but out of time for playoff run.
6. Chattanooga - Again, too little too late, but could end with a winning record and some impressive wins.
7. Elon - Out of playoffs after loss to App - playing GSU and ASU close will be good building blocks for next year.
8. The Citadel - How the mighty have fallen. Team should be ashamed of themselves for what they have done to disappoint their fan base. Playoffs? Nope.
9. Western Carolina - Beating App is their only hope of getting anything out of this season. I dont see it happenin.

Predictions:

Georgia Southern 30-10 Wofford - Wofford's stomping of cupcakes doesn't pay off. Eagles pick the terriers apart.
Chattanooga 24-21 Furman - Home team gets the win, Furman fans pretend they have a chance to win SoCon next year.
Appalachian State 24-14 Samford - Samford scores early but this game comes down to Athletes, and ASU moves to 6-1 all-time vs. the Bulldogs.
The Citadel 28-7 Western Carolina - Not because the Citadel is good....just because Western is bad.

SCPALADIN
October 7th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Predictions:
Chattanooga 24-21 Furman - Home team gets the win, Furman fans pretend they have a chance to win SoCon next year.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
We might lose Saturday, but we ain't losing by 20 points. I guarantee you. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet Wofford in a heartbeat in that GS -20 scenario. If GS wins by 20 I will post my wiener to AGS (if all of it will fit on the screen that is).

Saint3333
October 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think everyone loses if Wofford does.

blueballs
October 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
We might lose Saturday, but we ain't losing by 20 points. I guarantee you. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet Wofford in a heartbeat in that GS -20 scenario. If GS wins by 20 I will post my wiener to AGS (if all of it will fit on the screen that is).

What was the score when GSU played Wofford last November?

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM

31-10, if i'm not mistaken.

App1928
October 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Look, I dont make predictions based on what I want to happen, in fact, I would prefer Wofford beats GA Southern, because I dont want App to play Wofford after a loss (plus I hate GA Southern as they are our biggest true rivals, and am impartial towards Wofford) but I dont see wofford keeping it close....thats just me. GA Southern is tough. That being said, I think Wofford, App, GSU and Samford all have a shot at winning the SoCon, but this week we see who is real.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Even if App and GSU stay in, I'll still feel comfortable with my prediction. All respect, because they are a heckuva program, but App State is not the team it was four or five years ago.

The reason I think Furman will be on top is Reese Hannon. Kid is a true freshman and is fourth in the conference in total offense. That guy is going to terrorize SoCon teams for years.

I think App. could be scary good next year. GSU is porobably losing too much on defense to be a contender next year, though.

As I said before, the McKinnon-Kass matchup will be very different than the Shaw-Allen matchup.

seantaylor
October 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
GSU is losing too much to be a contender? As long as Monken is at GSU, the Eagles will be in the top 2 in the Socon.

LarryBoy
October 7th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Predictions:

The game is at Furman. So in that case, I accept your prediction.

App1928
October 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM
The game is at Furman. So in that case, I accept your prediction.

Yep...my mistake on that one hahaha

T-Dog
October 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hot off the keyboard. Looking back at the interesting Elon game and looking ahead to Sammie. Make sure to click some of the pictures. :D

FYI, the title isn't mean as a slam, but rather that it's a homage to the White Stripes song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OyytKqYjkE).

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Dead Leaves, Dirty Birds and Bulldogs (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeedldbab/)

Chattanooga @ Furman - 28-21. Bye week helps out Nooga.
Western Carolina @ The Citadel - 35-21. Three straight weeks of option opponents for Western makes it closer than people think.
Appalachian State @ Samford - 35-24. App could easily lose this game though, but I'm hopeful.
Wofford @ Georgia Southern - 38-35. Turnovers doom the Eagles in my opinion.

Apphole
October 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM
1. Wofford - The last time Wofford is #1 this season. Finally facing a tough team this week
2. Georgia Southern - Hitting their stride. QB looks to be getting better. Will win every game until they face App.
3. Appalachian State - The Dale Jone's defense will rise to every occasion and play terribly in every non-hyped game. Hoping for a strong, Chatty-type win over lil sammy.
4. Samford - Must beat App to stay in the hunt.
5. Citadel - I haven't lost faith in El Cid.
6. Furman - Typical Furman. Can beat anyone, but will not.
7. Chatty - Terrible offense. Mediocre defense. There's a reason we don't heat from chattownmocs anymore.
8. Elon - Tried oh so hard in their Super Bowl, but took the 18th consecutive loss. 1964 was a long time ago.
9. WCU - Every week I say this: WCU has no business on the field with any SoCon team.

Wofford 27 @ GaSo 34 - Cupcake hangover. The Stink rolls.
Chattanooga 17 @ Furman 31 - Furman is better than Chatty.
App State 37 @ Samford 28 - Sammy gets up early, but App rallies and get gets the W.
Western Carolina 17 @ Citadel 55 - The dawgs get back on track against the worst program in SoCon history.

SpeedkingATL
October 8th, 2012, 08:58 AM
1a. Wofford - Wait for the Wofford/Ga Southern result this weekend for top billing.
2b. Georgia Southern - See above.
3a. Appalachian State -App win if the game becomes a track meet.
3b. Samford - See above.
5. Citadel -Hard to figure the Citdogs at this point. 7 points against Sammy???
6. Furman - Playing better.
7. Chatty - Another disapointing year from Chatty.
8. Elon - Good passing attack but not much else.
9. WCU - Needs no introduction or discussion.

Wofford @ GaSo - Eagles appear to be jelling at the right time. GaSo wins 34-21 at home.
Chattanooga 13 @ Furman 21 - Furman wins against UTC.
App State 34 @ Samford 31 - App wins on field goal on last play.
Western Carolina 14 @ Citadel 41 - Bellhops take out some frustration on the Whee. Dupree runs for 250.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM
1. Wofford - The last time Wofford is #1 this season. Finally facing a tough team this week
2. Georgia Southern - Hitting their stride. QB looks to be getting better. Will win every game until they face App.
3. Appalachian State - The Dale Jone's defense will rise to every occasion and play terribly in every non-hyped game. Hoping for a strong, Chatty-type win over lil sammy.
7. Chatty - Terrible offense. Mediocre defense. There's a reason we don't heat from chattownmocs anymore.
8. Elon - Tried oh so hard in their Super Bowl, but took the 18th consecutive loss. 1964 was a long time ago.
9. WCU - Every week I say this: WCU has no business on the field with any SoCon team.

App State 37 @ Samford 28 - Sammy gets up early, but App rallies and get gets the W.
Western Carolina 17 @ Citadel 55 - The dawgs get back on track against the worst program in SoCon history.

Furman is a better team than you give them credit for. Certainly not a cupcake.

Apphole
October 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Furman is a better team than you give them credit for. Certainly not a cupcake.

Never said they were a cupcake. Didn't mean to imply it either. Besides Furple, you have been fed a steady diet of cupcakes which has made you muffin soft. Furman is decent, a middle of the pack SoCon team, but one game against them is not enough to tighten your squad up enough to get the win in Stinkboro. That's what I was saying.

asumike83
October 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Interesting week in the SoCon. I do think App matches up well against Samford but this game is very concerning to me. To be honest, I think it is a must-win. Until I see first hand that we can defend the option, I am convinced we lose to Wofford and GSU. The Citadel has not scored more than 10 points in either conference game after running all over us. That is very concerning, we have got to beat all the non-option teams the rest of the way if we want to make the playoffs.

1) Wofford: Got all they wanted and more but as long as the record is perfect, they stay at the top.
2) Georgia Southern: Much like App, they continue to bounce back strong after losing to The Citadel.
3) Appalachian State: Was not pretty but we got the W. Tough road test awaits.
4) Samford: Very impressive showing, should be a slugfest on Saturday.
5) Chattanooga: Likely dug themselves too big a hole to climb out of but a win this weekend could make things interesting.
6) The Citadel: Really struggling after an excellent start. They are one mishap away from falling out of SoCon contention.
7) Furman: Another tough L for the Paladins. They are 2-4 but I still want no part of them.
8) Elon: If they could run they ball, they would be dangerous. Explosive passing attack.
9) Western Carolina: The rough times continue in Cullowhee. Have seen some positive signs but they are probably a couple recruiting classes away.

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Furman: It is a coin flip but I'll take Furman to squeak it out at home.
Western Carolina @ The Citadel: Bulldogs take their frustration out on the Catamounts, win big.
Appalachian State @ Samford: Samford has been impressive but I think ASU matches up well. Jamal has another big day against the Bulldogs, App in a close one.
Wofford @ Georgia Southern: Another toss-up here but I like the Eagles at home. I'll go with Southern by 7.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Never said they were a cupcake. Didn't mean to imply it either. Besides Furple, you have been fed a steady diet of cupcakes which has made you muffin soft. Furman is decent, a middle of the pack SoCon team, but one game against them is not enough to tighten your squad up enough to get the win in Stinkboro. That's what I was saying.

I just don't see either Wofford or GSU as the same teams offensively as last year. Not that they're worse, but rather Wofford has a pitch game and a pass game now. I don't know about GSU, but they are not as good passing the ball as Shaw was last year. The reason why Furman was able to play us so well (and have the lead for most of the game) was because they could play ball control and were high efficiency, at least at first, in the passing game. I just don't know if GSU is capable of that. They were able to last year. This year, I think offensively the rolls are somewhat reversed.

The way you hold Wofford to a low scoring affair is by forcing turnovers and dominating TOP. I don't think GSU is incapable of doing so, I just can't say for sure that they are as capable as last year or capable in the same way as Furman.

asucrutch23
October 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
My stab:

1. Wofford - Can't justify anyone else here at this point.
2. Georgia Southern - Have they solved the turnover issues?
3. Appalachian State - Still not sharp, but getting the job done at the moment.
4. Samford - Almost put them at 3, but gotta beat WoCo, GSU, or App first.
5. Furman - Can't help but think they belong up here, but their record indicates otherwise.
6. The Citadel - What happened?!?! still a good team, but apparently wildly inconsistent.
7. Chattanooga - Really not very good on offense, don't know how they beat The Citadel.
8. Elon - As their schedule eases up, I predict they win a few games; almost put them ahead of Chatty.
9. Western Carolina - 'nuff said

Predictions:

Chattanooga @ Furman - I really think FU wins by double digits here
Western Carolina @ The Citadel - Seriously though, what happened?!?! Surely they'll beat WCU.
Appalachian State@ Samford - This game really scares me. This could be the Bulldogs' year to get us. Hopefully not.
Wofford @ Georgia Southern - I realize this is their toughest game to this point and it's on the road, but the road team has won in this series and I think the more disciplined team wins.

biggie
October 8th, 2012, 10:43 AM
App losing DE and OG from the Elon game isn't going to help.

straightshooter
October 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I just don't see either Wofford or GSU as the same teams offensively as last year. Not that they're worse, but rather Wofford has a pitch game and a pass game now. I don't know about GSU, but they are not as good passing the ball as Shaw was last year. The reason why Furman was able to play us so well (and have the lead for most of the game) was because they could play ball control and were high efficiency, at least at first, in the passing game. I just don't know if GSU is capable of that. They were able to last year. This year, I think offensively the rolls are somewhat reversed.

The way you hold Wofford to a low scoring affair is by forcing turnovers and dominating TOP. I don't think GSU is incapable of doing so, I just can't say for sure that they are as capable as last year or capable in the same way as Furman.

Maybe GSU doesn't pass the ball quite as well, but the offense runs literally light years faster with McKinnon pulling the trigger at QB. Many of the plays where Wofford tackled Shaw when running the midline or triple O the last two years will be different with McKinnon. He can plant his right foot and shoot through a gap to daylight, and you won't catch him from behind. Jaybo could not do that. McKinnon is one step from gone on many plays. Think Jayson Foster with an extra 35 pounds. I'm not comparing McKinnon exactly to Foster, but the speed is very similar - 4.35 (Foster) and 4.38 (McKinnon).

asumike83
October 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
App losing DE and OG from the Elon game isn't going to help.

The hits just keep coming. Losing Acey and Deuce stings. I think the guys stepping in are both very good players as well but we've got virtually no depth left behind them at either spot.

atlfcsfan
October 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
1. Wofford still undefeated in conference win this week definitely gives them inside track to conference championship
2. Ga Southern very impressive win, getting better each week
3. App State still shows a lot of inconsistency, must win this week
4. Samford suprisingly easy win vs Citadel, a win over App will get them much respect.
5. Chatty off last week, who knows if good chatty or bad chatty will show up
6. Citadel two bad losses in a row, are they returning to who they really are?
7. Furman played Wofford tough but a loss is still a loss.
8. Elon played App well, but still a ways to go
9 W Carolina will they win a conference game this year?

App 34 Samford 27 Close game, but is a must win for App, with GSU and Woffy still on schedule
Chatty 28 Furman 24 I think Chatty will pull it together again and pull out a close road win
Citadel 38 W Carolina 14 Citadel gets back on track with a win over the hapless Cats
Wofford 20 GA Southern 14 REally a tossup can go either way, give the edge to the Terriers

blueballs
October 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe GSU doesn't pass the ball quite as well, but the offense runs literally light years faster with McKinnon pulling the trigger at QB. Many of the plays where Wofford tackled Shaw when running the midline or triple O the last two years will be different with McKinnon. He can plant his right foot and shoot through a gap to daylight, and you won't catch him from behind. Jaybo could not do that. McKinnon is one step from gone on many plays. Think Jayson Foster with an extra 35 pounds. I'm not comparing McKinnon exactly to Foster, but the speed is very similar - 4.35 (Foster) and 4.38 (McKinnon).

YT, if you're old enough to remember Chaz Williams (SoCon OPOTY in 2002) McKinnon as a Jr, which is what he is now, will remind you of Chaz in 2002.

McKinnon is a all conference quality RB taking snaps, just like Chaz was. Also, just like Chaz, his passing has been servicable thus far. GSU is running a lot more shotgun this year, and having McKinnon, Swope, and Robinson lined up back there gives them 3 home run hitters.

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM

You keep thinking that. I just read all of these 30+ point predictions and chuckle to myself about how delusional/stupid most on this board truly are. No one has done absolutely anything to distinguish themselves in this conference. There is 1 undefeated team in the league and Chattanooga hasn't played them. Chattanooga is very much alive for a Southern Conference championship and and an automatic bid even with another loss. But yet I consistently read nonsense about Chattanooga looking awful this year or, too little too late, spoiler, chattanooga can't make the playoffs with another loss....blah blah blah blah. Chattanooga is in decent position to make a major run. They are coming off of a stellar performance on both sides of the ball, and have another fairly easy game to go to 2-1.

asumike83
October 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
You keep thinking that. I just read all of these 30+ point predictions and chuckle to myself about how delusional/stupid most on this board truly are. No one has done absolutely anything to distinguish themselves in this conference. There is 1 undefeated team in the league and Chattanooga hasn't played them. Chattanooga is very much alive for a Southern Conference championship and and an automatic bid even with another loss. But yet I consistently read nonsense about Chattanooga looking awful this year or, too little too late, spoiler, chattanooga can't make the playoffs with another loss....blah blah blah blah. Chattanooga is in decent position to make a major run. They are coming off of a stellar performance on both sides of the ball, and have another fairly easy game to go to 2-1.

I think UTC could pull it off this weekend, a coin-flip for me. The problem is that you have no margin for error and have yet to play the top two teams. It looks like the App game could have been a wake-up call, they looked much better the next week. It is that loss to Jacksonville State that could come back to bite you. Having one more loss to work with would make a huge difference.

Apphole
October 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I've seen one Chatty game so far this year and they looked awful offensively. They didn't score at all IMO. We spotted them 13 points with studpid turnovers inside the 10 and 20 yard line and they scored in garbage time against our 2nd/3rd defense. The D was decent. They held an App offense that hadn't really blossomed at that point of the season to a few points until the blowout happened in the fourth. It got ugly real quick once Satterfield made adjustments.

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I think UTC could pull it off this weekend, a coin-flip for me. The problem is that you have no margin for error and have yet to play the top two teams. It looks like the App game could have been a wake-up call, they looked much better the next week. It is that loss to Jacksonville State that could come back to bite you. Having one more loss to work with would make a huge difference.

See the problem with your logic is the idea that Chattanooga is somehow eliminated with another loss. I'm not sure what the tiebreaker scenario is, but there is not a great chance that anyone is going 7-1. There could be a major cluster at 6-2 between 3 or 4 teams. I'll let you enlighten me on the tiebreaker scenario if this happens. I doubt it is D1 wins or overall win-loss record. That would be retarded.

woffordgrad94
October 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
And if anyone knows retarded, it's chattown

fc97
October 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
because i do it every week

massey says
10 wofford
15 gsu
20 app
24 samford
36 the citadel
37 utc
47 furman
49 elon
72 wcu

for laughs, 121 davidson

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I've seen one Chatty game so far this year and they looked awful offensively. They didn't score at all IMO. We spotted them 13 points with studpid turnovers inside the 10 and 20 yard line and they scored in garbage time against our 2nd/3rd defense. The D was decent. They held an App offense that hadn't really blossomed at that point of the season to a few points until the blowout happened in the fourth. It got ugly real quick once Satterfield made adjustments.

There were no adjustments. I could argue that several of your TDs, especially the first, were blown assignments and that physically Chattanooga's defense dominated your offense. But once again, what does it really mean. A Citadel fan could argue that you suck because when you played them they completely destroyed you, not in the 4th, but from the opening kick. Everyone except Wofford has a loss, most teams have at least 1 poor performance.

woffordgrad94
October 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
because i do it every week

massey says
10 wofford
15 gsu
20 app
24 samford
36 the citadel
37 utc
47 furman
49 elon
72 wcu

for laughs, 121 davidson

Davidson football...almost as big a joke as Chattown's delusion about the Mocs

asumike83
October 8th, 2012, 02:40 PM
See the problem with your logic is the idea that Chattanooga is somehow eliminated with another loss. I'm not sure what the tiebreaker scenario is, but there is not a great chance that anyone is going 7-1. There could be a major cluster at 6-2 between 3 or 4 teams. I'll let you enlighten me on the tiebreaker scenario if this happens. I doubt it is D1 wins or overall win-loss record. That would be retarded.

True. They would be eliminated from at-large consideration but not necessarily the auto-bid. I know that head-to-head is the first tiebreaker. If there are multiple 6-2 teams and they have beaten each other up, I'm honestly not sure how that would work. The season wouldn't necessarily be over but they'd have to hope for a lot of things outside their control to happen, especially if it was Wofford/GSU that beat them and held the head-to-head.

eaglewraith
October 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
True. They would be eliminated from at-large consideration but not necessarily the auto-bid. I know that head-to-head is the first tiebreaker. If there are multiple 6-2 teams and they have beaten each other up, I'm honestly not sure how that would work. The season wouldn't necessarily be over but they'd have to hope for a lot of things outside their control to happen, especially if it was Wofford/GSU that beat them and held the head-to-head.

If all the teams in the tie are equal, the tie-breaker goes to record against conference teams outside of the tie-breaker.

If that is equal, then I think it comes down to rankings.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
No seriously, if Wofford wins the next two games we may as well rap the conference race up before week 10.

Here's hoping for a clear picture in 3 weeks.

ASU_Fanatic
October 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
No seriously, if Wofford wins the next two games we may as well rap the conference race up before week 10.

next saturday is going to be a showdown. better believe app has spent a lot of time learning to stop that triple option

gsu_paintballer
October 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM
1. Wofford - didn't look too good against Furman but they got the win and are still perfect
2. Georgia Southern - looks like they're starting to play better, showdown this week with Woffy for top spot
3. Appalachian State - they're coming. They are looking strong but their pass rush still looks weak which worries me, they have some tough games coming up.
4. Samford - looked solid yesterday. Showdown this week with ol' App State
5. Furman - they are starting to play well. I think they have a better team than Chatty right now
6. Chattanooga - have gotten better but at best I still see them at 6-5
7. Citadel - they have collapsed which is really disappointing, maybe they can get it back together
8. Elon - they've also gotten better and really surprised me yesterday
9. WCU - they have a ways to go, best of luck to them

Wofford 16 @ GaSo 17 - Going to be a thriller, hard fought game of smash-mouth football. I like Georgia Southern's home crowd to propel them to a huge win
Chattanooga 24 @ Furman 31 - interesting game here. I'm gonna say Furman has a big play touchdown late which wins it for them
App State 28 @ Samford 24 - huge game for both teams. I like App though, they know how big this is and I think they'll find a way to win
Western Carolina 17 @ Citadel 20 - maybe the two worst teams in the conference right now. I'll take Citadel on a late field goal

I agree with this assessment but I think our game will be a higher scoring affair.

Saint3333
October 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
next saturday is going to be a showdown. better believe app has spent a lot of time learning to stop that triple option

I'm much more concerned about Samford right now. App is now down 7 starters on defense from what we expected to have this year. We're going to need to score a lot the rest of the season.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 8th, 2012, 10:03 PM
hate to say this about my beloved mountaineers, but we might be ranked too high. The offense is as good as anyones in the SC, but the defense has been crushed by injuries, lost another starter against Elon. We are down to walkons, freshman, and third stringers. I don't think I have seen this many injuries in many years. Not feeling very confident against Samford.

seantaylor
October 9th, 2012, 02:23 AM

I still can't fathom why others think Jaybo was a good passer. Look at his numbers. Statistically he was one of the worst passers we have ever had. He was easily the worst deep passer I've ever seen on a GSU team. He could hit some short passes, but that was trumped by his inability to ever get the defense to commit to his running.

GlassOnion
October 9th, 2012, 02:25 AM
OL isnt exactly in tip top shape either. We finally got Price and Chisholm back, and now we're down a RT for the season, and our RG for 6-8 weeks. Barnard has gotten alot of playing time at LT, and now he's going right back to RG.

The defense has just been through the ringer. Heck of alot of freshmen getting some experience though.

GlassOnion
October 9th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I still can't fathom why others think Jaybo was a good passer. Look at his numbers. Statistically he was one of the worst passers we have ever had. He was easily the worst deep passer I've ever seen on a GSU team. He could hit some short passes, but that was trumped by his inability to ever get the defense to commit to his running.

I agree. Jaybo was pretty much one dimensional, and a turnover machine.

seantaylor
October 9th, 2012, 02:42 AM

Thank you. I know the biggest reason why some of our fans revered him.

Smitty
October 9th, 2012, 07:28 AM
1. GSU
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. ASU
5. Furman
6. Chatty
7. El Cid
8. Elon
9. WCU

Furman vs Chatty
El Cid vs WCU
GSU vs Wofford
Samford vs ASU

ASUMountaineer
October 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM

WoCo fans don't seem like the rap/hip hop type. Just saying...

asumike83
October 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM

I wish I shared your confidence. The Citadel has not scored more than 14 points in a game since putting 52 on us. That is not a good sign about what Wofford/GSU could do.

I think we've got our hands full this weekend as well. The ASU defense has got to get better, injuries or not.

gsu_paintballer
October 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I wish I shared your confidence. The Citadel has not scored more than 14 points in a game since putting 52 on us. That is not a good sign about what Wofford/GSU could do.

I think we've got our hands full this weekend as well. The ASU defense has got to get better, injuries or not.

Our games are usually close, so this one will always worry me. We have an interesting stretch coming up with Wofford, @Chat, @ Furman and vs ASU

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM
OL isnt exactly in tip top shape either. We finally got Price and Chisholm back, and now we're down a RT for the season, and our RG for 6-8 weeks. Barnard has gotten alot of playing time at LT, and now he's going right back to RG.

The defense has just been through the ringer. Heck of alot of freshmen getting some experience though.

well that's good....because Wofford is down 2 DL in the 2 deep this week.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
gonna be a real tough game this saturday in birmingham!... ill be making the trip and i sure hope our defense does to!

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM
GS 31 Wofford 28- GS defense is better, will get the offense one or two more possesions.
Furman 21 Chatt 17- two teams playing for their playoff lives, neither offense very impressive, taking the home team.
Samford 34 App 31- first time picking against my school, but has too much going against it this week, long bus ride, depleated defense, looking ahead to Wofford, and Samford is a pretty good team.
Western 24 Cit 21- upset of the week, don't have a reason, just feel sorry for Western

atlfcsfan
October 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM
GS 31 Wofford 28- GS defense is better, will get the offense one or two more possesions.
Furman 21 Chatt 17- two teams playing for their playoff lives, neither offense very impressive, taking the home team.
Samford 34 App 31- first time picking against my school, but has too much going against it this week, long bus ride, depleated defense, looking ahead to Wofford, and Samford is a pretty good team.
Western 24 Cit 21- upset of the week, don't have a reason, just feel sorry for Western

Wow, never thought I would see an appy fan picking against his team at least not against Samford. Its definitely a trap game and App better come ready to play. If they come out sluggish, Sammie will be all over them for sure.

Apphole
October 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I've got a bad feeling about little Sammy. I'm not convinced our defense can do a thing against a half way decent offense. We have been absolutely decimated by suspensions and injuries this season.

SpeedkingATL
October 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I've got a bad feeling about little Sammy. I'm not convinced our defense can do a thing against a half way decent offense. We have been absolutely decimated by suspensions and injuries this season.

The one thing the App defense has done well this year is create turnovers and they will need at least a couple to beat Sammy. You hate to depend on that but that's kind of what it looks like right now with a team that's given up over 500 twice and over 600 (yes 600) yards once to FCS teams at home.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
ya, after making that prediction, felt like scum, had to go take a shower, but, not going to change my mind.

BEAR
October 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM
xsmiley_wix Tough conference. xlolx...

yes, continuing my to my goal....

ElCid
October 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM
1) Wofford - Might be last week on top, but still unblemished
2) Georgia Southern - Getting better every week, sloppiness is fading
3) Appalachian State – I think we can dismiss the Citadel embarrassment as a very strange AGS thing
4) Samford – Not just a pretender, but not yet a top 3
5) Furman - They continue to improve and they will give everyone a problem
6) Chattanooga – They could turn around their season still, but road is too tough for them to be anything but a chance spoiler
7) The Citadel – Oh my poor Dogs, in total implode mode.
8) Elon – Sloppy team, stop the turnovers and they will start to win
9) Western Carolina – Bad performance last week, still to be pitied

Citadel implosion: Injuries on D will hurt bad. In hindsight, they probably were never really anything more than a spoiler. The D was thin to begin with and executed well enough against sloppy teams early (plus the O at least kept moving the ball); now that most teams are fine tuning their offense, the D will be pummeled the rest of the season. Not to mention that the Option execution has been just downright poor. Not to take away much from the opposition D the last three weeks, but the Dogs still do not have the Option honed very well. Plus the O-line is getting manhandled. Overall, the play calling has also been dismal (1 for 14 on 3rd downs this past week)! The predictability is almost comical. Finally, in some fairness, with three TO teams, the SOCON is getting too good at defending the Option, especially when it is an average, 1.5 dimensional, Option team. The Dogs will be lucky to go 6-5. But I still love em.xbawlingx

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Furman – 31-24, good enough to handle Mocs at home
Western Carolina @ The Citadel – 34-31 A reduced Cid D will bleed yards, but can at least gain some running yards against a poor Western D.
Appalachian State @ Samford – 42 – 27 Great win on the road for the Mountaineers
Wofford @ Georgia Southern – 31-27 Got to go with the home team (even though the away team has won the last 7)

asumike83
October 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM
xsmiley_wix Tough conference. xlolx...

yes, continuing my to my goal....

Qué?

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2012, 06:10 AM
well that's good....because Wofford is down 2 DL in the 2 deep this week.

The radio guys kept talking about how many Wofford interior defensive players were hobbling off the field in the game against Furman. I don't mean this how it is going to sound, but that is encouraging for Furman. It means that the Paladin offensive line was chop blocking the stew out of the Wofford defense.

Six or seven years ago (back when Furman was flying high) or offense had a streak of nastiness. Our receivers would chop block in the endzone for pete's sake. Then we got into this spread thing, with zone blocking, and we sucked. I'm glad to see us get back to the ways of a bruising running game and punishing interior defenders for just showing up on Saturday. That, to me, is Furman Football.

eaglewraith
October 10th, 2012, 06:43 AM
The radio guys kept talking about how many Wofford interior defensive players were hobbling off the field in the game against Furman. I don't mean this how it is going to sound, but that is encouraging for Furman. It means that the Paladin offensive line was chop blocking the stew out of the Wofford defense.

Six or seven years ago (back when Furman was flying high) or offense had a streak of nastiness. Our receivers would chop block in the endzone for pete's sake. Then we got into this spread thing, with zone blocking, and we sucked. I'm glad to see us get back to the ways of a bruising running game and punishing interior defenders for just showing up on Saturday. That, to me, is Furman Football.

I think you mean cut blocking.

As a Georgia Southern fan, I hate it being referred to chop blocking, because chop blocking is a bad thing and in no way what we do. Also, an effective running scheme can use zone blocking principles and be successful. You just have to coach it well and execute.

CB Eagle
October 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Man, everyone else on the field must have been NFL talent for a QB who couldn't throw, or run, and turned the ball over to take his team to back to back National Semi-Finals.

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I think you mean cut blocking.

As a Georgia Southern fan, I hate it being referred to chop blocking, because chop blocking is a bad thing and in no way what we do. Also, an effective running scheme can use zone blocking principles and be successful. You just have to coach it well and execute.

I guess a chop is a more severe and less precise type of cut :)

Go Apps
October 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM
ASU is in serious trouble right now - that Citadel loss looms large - may take a miracle to beat Samford!

appfan2008
October 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM

I dont blame you for picking against your school but i dont think i could do it... same score asu on top...

catamount man
October 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Cool. I'll take sympathy points. GO CATS!

gsu_paintballer
October 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Man, everyone else on the field must have been NFL talent for a QB who couldn't throw, or run, and turned the ball over to take his team to back to back National Semi-Finals.

Agreed. Glad we had Jaybo.

Apphole
October 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
ASU is in serious trouble right now - that Citadel loss looms large - may take a miracle to beat Samford!

Step 1: Chill out
Step 2: Get a clue

We won't lose this game and even if we do, it's anybody's SoCon. We'll be a playoff team with 3 more wins out of our last 5 games.

asumike83
October 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM

We've got a tough game ahead of us, especially with two more starters going down last week. However, I'm not ready to say we are in serious trouble just yet. They haven't all been pretty but the team is on a 3-game winning streak. Our depth has taken a serious hit and we'd be sitting pretty without that loss to The Citadel but we've bounced back pretty nicely.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
With App's youth 3 wins in the last 5 isn't a given. App is down seven starters on defense and two on the oline from what we thought we would have in the offseason.

The only result from any game going forward that would be a surprise is a loss to WCU, the other four games who knows.

We have arguably the 4 toughest SoCon teams left on our schedule to play. This could be a really special ending to the regular season or a lot of growing pains for our team. If this team does make the playoffs that will be huge accomplishments by these coaches and group of freshman and sophomores that have stepped up.

CID1990
October 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
ASU wins easily. Folks don't fully realize how badly the wheels have come off at El Cid; we stank out loud down there.