PDA

View Full Version : Yale press release

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

"Yale University is withholding Tyler Varga from today's game pending clarification from the NCAA regarding his transfer from a Canadian University. This withholding is unrelated to his academic eligibility."

I can't imagine why he would have to sit out a game. As far as I knew the only question was whether he will be considered a freshman or a sophomore.

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Apparently, eligibility for Canadian students varies by Province.

http://handouts.aacrao.org/am09/finished/W0100p_K_Gailey.pdf

Go Green
October 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
That's really weird. I assume that there will be more explanations forthcoming.

Happy that the problem arose before the Dartmouth game, though!! Dartmouth wins 34-14. Largest victory at the Yale Bowl in quite some time... :Dxthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
That's really weird. I assume that there will be more explanations forthcoming.

Happy that the problem arose before the Dartmouth game, though!! Dartmouth wins 34-14. Largest victory at the Yale Bowl in quite some time... :Dxthumbsupx

Congratulations on the win. We'll get you in Hanover next year.

Go Green
October 7th, 2012, 11:37 AM
The Yale guys on the Ivy Board are claiming that Dartmouth filed a complaint with the NCAA against Varga's eligibility earlier this week, and the NCAA thought there was enough there to hold Varga out for Saturday's game.

If true, I got to hand it to the Dartmouth staff. That's one way to mess up your opponent's game plan! xthumbsupx

Anyone else recall an instance of rivals complaining to the NCAA about an opponent's eligibility issues a few days before the game?

Sader87
October 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The Yale guys on the Ivy Board are claiming that Dartmouth filed a complaint with the NCAA against Varga's eligibility earlier this week, and the NCAA thought there was enough there to hold Varga out for Saturday's game.

If true, I got to hand it to the Dartmouth staff. That's one way to mess up your opponent's game plan! xthumbsupx

Anyone else recall an instance of rivals complaining to the NCAA about an opponent's eligibility issues a few days before the game?

Truly a proud moment in the storied history of Dartmouth football.....ranking right up there with the 1965 and 1970 Lambert Trophy seasons.

Go Green
October 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Truly a proud moment in the storied history of Dartmouth football.....ranking right up there with the 1965 and 1970 Lambert Trophy seasons.

Coach Gilmore better make darn sure all his players have their paperwork in order before next year's trip to Hanover.

xangelx

Pard4Life
October 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Lafayette suspends its own players and has mystery injuries. Should be a good one at the Bowl next week.

Go Green
October 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/oct/09/caught-up-in-customs/

Yale Daily News suggest that Varga was supposed to sit the entire year. Only in a handful of sports can you transfer from Canada and play immediately. FCS footbal--for whatever reason--is not one of them.

If they're right, then Yale will probably end up forfeiting its victory over Georgeown.

Also, according to the Ivy League office, it was not Dartmouth that filed the complaint last week. Oh well...

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Yale Daily News suggest that Varga was supposed to sit the entire year. Only in a handful of sports can you transfer from Canada and play immediately. FCS footbal--for whatever reason--is not one of them.

If they're right, then Yale will probably end up forfeiting its victory over Georgeown.

Also, according to the Ivy League office, it was not Dartmouth that filed the complaint last week. Oh well...

so what's worse, the recently fired coach due to false claims on his resume or the newly hired coach taking illegal players?? and that illegal player was the only thing yale had going for it on the field

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM

That's not what the article says:

According to NCAA rules, transfer students — including those from international institutions — must have fulfilled “one academic year in residence” before competing in athletic competitions. But there are exceptions: If a transfer student plays a sport other than baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision football, he or she may waive the year-in-residence requirement. Yale plays football in the Football Championship Subdivision, one tier lower than the FBS within Division I.

Go Green
October 9th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Obviously, the NCAA is going to do what they're going to do. But how did I misinterpret the article? It says that FBS football transfers from international schools can waive the one year residency requirement. Presumably, FCS school transfers can't utilize the waiver and must sit a year before competing.

Whether or not the article is accurate is another story. But what's your take on it?

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Obviously, the NCAA is going to do what they're going to do. But how did I misinterpret the article? It says that FBS football transfers from international schools can waive the one year residency requirement. Presumably, FCS school transfers can't utilize the waiver and must sit a year before competing.

Whether or not the article is accurate is another story. But what's your take on it?

But there are exceptions: If a transfer student plays a sport other than baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision football,

Yale plays one of the others

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM

According to NCAA rules, transfer students — including those from international institutions — must have fulfilled “one academic year in residence” before competing in athletic competitions. But there are exceptions: If a transfer student plays a sport other than baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision football, he or she may waive the year-in-residence requirement. Yale plays football in the Football Championship Subdivision, one tier lower than the FBS within Division I.

seems to me Green has/had it correct??

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
But there are exceptions: If a transfer student plays a sport other than baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision football,

Yale plays one of the others

Yale does BUT the STUDENT??? does the kid play one of the qualifying sports too?? I doubt it.....

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Yale does BUT the STUDENT??? does the kid play one of the qualifying sports too?? I doubt it.....

He played in Canada. How could he play FBS football ?

It's all very confusing, obviously

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Let's try this again:

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from
another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students,
see Bylaw 14.1.9.1): (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05 for those student-athletes who transfer to a Division I
institution for the 2005-06 academic year and thereafter)
(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football."

Varga did not transfer from a bowl subdivision football school (e.g., FBS, I-A) and cannot use this exception.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
He played in Canada. How could he play FBS football ?

My bad bulldog, i misread the exception qualifier

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM

I take that back bulldog: your bad, not mine, i read it as DFW and Green did.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
in haste i apparently gave the ivy guy too much credit!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2012, 11:34 AM
-nm-

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM
If Yale has to forfeit any victories over this, it's beyond ludicrous. It's actually ludicrous that he's not playing today, and the rule itself is ludicrous as well.

So in, say, women's crew, if someone from Oxford were to come over to compete in rowing for Harvard, Boston College or whomever, they'd have to sit a year due to "one academic year in residence". But St. Mary's can draft the entire Australian Olympic team for their men's basketball program and they play immediately. I'm sorry, does this seem fair to any human being on the planet?

The issue isn't if the rule is ludicrous, it is did Yale violate the rule and apparently they did.
ANY program should know and/or learn transfer rules applicable to ANY transfer they are bringing in!!!

Nova09
October 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM
If Yale has to forfeit any victories over this, it's beyond ludicrous. It's actually ludicrous that he's not playing today, and the rule itself is ludicrous as well.

So in, say, women's crew, if someone from Oxford were to come over to compete in rowing for Harvard, Boston College or whomever, they'd have to sit a year due to "one academic year in residence". But St. Mary's can draft the entire Australian Olympic team for their men's basketball program and they play immediately. I'm sorry, does this seem fair to any human being on the planet?

Backwards, women's crew is eligible for the one time transfer exception DFW cited, basketball is not. If your point is that the rule being different for different sports is ludicrous then it still stands.

Nova09
October 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
The issue isn't if the rule is ludicrous, it is did Yale violate the rule and apparently they did.
ANY program should know and/or learn transfer rules applicable to ANY transfer they are bringing in!!!

Agreed. If Yale allowed an ineligible player to compete then they might have to forfeit the victory in which the ineligible athlete competed. Whether or not you think he should be ineligible to compete this year is a different discussion.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Agreed. If Yale allowed an ineligible player to compete then they might have to forfeit the victory in which the ineligible athlete competed. Whether or not you think he should be ineligible to compete this year is a different discussion.

the language of the rule is not very complex and pretty straight forward. With NO personal knowledge of what happened I would speculate that the new coach who's been around for a very long time try to get one over here. again just my opinion!

Nova09
October 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I don't know the athlete or the Canadian school at all, but if he was not recruited and did not receive athletic financial aid at the Canadian school he could still be eligible to compete this year due to 14.5.5.2.10.2

Go Green
October 9th, 2012, 11:58 AM
As did I.

We will see what happens. The Yale Football blog says that Yale hopes for a ruling on the matter by today.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from
another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students,
see Bylaw 14.1.9.1): (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05 for those student-athletes who transfer to a Division I
institution for the 2005-06 academic year and thereafter)
(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football."

Varga did not transfer from a bowl subdivision football school (e.g., FBS, I-A) and cannot use this exception.

Looking at this closer, this is a classic donut hole situation. One rule states that he can't get a waiver if he is a PARTICIPANT in FOOTBALL, no subdivision mentioned. But then it was amended that transfer waivers in football can ONLY be from FBS-playing schools. The situation that Vargas and Yale are in now - playing COLLEGE football outside the NCAA, internationally, in Canada - is not covered.

I'm a bit torn after reading this. Canadian players have come to play at a bunch of PL/IL schools over the years, and presumably they've sat out a year - indeed, it could be an advantage, since they, in effect, could technically redshirt! But the rule does seem to punish a real small minority of players, and seems like more of a technicality than anything. Does anyone honestly think there's this scourge of Canadian football players dying to get into the USA to play football?

Also, a GREAT catch that the kid didn't receive aid just to play football in Canada. And presumably, he's getting the same "aid" that the rest of the Yale student body is getting.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know the athlete or the Canadian school at all, but if he was not recruited and did not receive athletic financial aid at the Canadian school he could still be eligible to compete this year due to 14.5.5.2.10.2

Football players at Western Ontario receive up to C$4,000 in scholarships annually, per the Yale Daily News.

Long story short, there are one of two people at fault: Tony Reno, for not reporting this to Yale compliance, or the compliance officer for not doing the due diligence on the case.

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I take that back bulldog: your bad, not mine, i read it as DFW and Green did.

It is my bad for not looking at the whole rule, and depending only on the partial that was printed in the YDN article.

CFBfan
October 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It is my bad for not looking at the whole rule, and depending only on the partial that was printed in the YDN article.

no worries, and certainly makes for good board material and on a rainy tuesday it a good distraction from work!!
ps: maybe those hometown ref's of yours can help with this !!

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM
no worries, and certainly makes for good board material and on a rainy tuesday it a good distraction from work!!
ps: maybe those hometown ref's of yours can help with this !!

I don't know whether the refs on our payroll can help with this one. it's obviously something that has never come up before. We may have to pay them a bonus for fixing this problem.

bulldog10jw
October 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Latest update

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/10/09/sports/doc5074904409c2f406803699.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The NCAA rule states a transfer has to serve one year in residence at the new school before being eligible to compete. That rule applies to international transfers as well.

However, there is a one-time transfer exception. If the transfer plays a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, men’s hockey or is a member of a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) team, then the player does not have to sit out a year. Yale competes in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA).

In football, the transfer can be eligible for the exception if he transfers from a FBS to an FCS school if he has at least two seasons left. Or the transfer can be eligible if he is going from an FCS school that offers athletic scholarships to an FCS school that does not.

Reno confirmed Varga was on scholarship at his previous school. So there seems to be some gray area because Varga comes from a Canadian university.

“Yale interpreted the rule that he could play immediately,” Reno said.