PDA

View Full Version : 2012 attendance

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html

Just a quick peak of FCS vs FBS....there are 87 FCS schools that have a higher avg attendance than Eastern Michigan (5006).

UND's attendance is up 11% in capacity and 1300 in average attendance...thank you Big Sky!!!

appstate16
October 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
No Saturday compares to those spent in Boone

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM

I can only dream that atmosphere would ever show up in Grand Forks. But at least since transition has been completed our attendance is on the rise which is always a good thing.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Good news: Georgetown attendance is at 111% capacity.
Bad news: It's 114th of 120 schools.
Worse news: Expansion isn't a priority.

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM

UND can't go more than about the top 26 teams in the FCS due to playing in a dome (12283) unless its Standing Room Only but that only goes so far).

Gringer1
October 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Groundbreaking takes place at the end of the month:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/multi-sport-facility-030205/stadium1-lg.jpg

Wasn't this started and then "temporarily" suspended about 5 years ago? What happened there? I would think a school like Georgetown would be a little embarrassed to have such a dilapidated stadium.

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Wasn't this started and then "temporarily" suspended about 5 years ago? What happened there? I would think a school like Georgetown would be a little embarrassed to have such a dilapidated stadium.

Maybe they care more about basketball than football.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe they care more about basketball than football.

Everyone knows that,but a well respected university shouldn't have the pile of rubble on campus that they do. It just hurts the image of the university.

asumike83
October 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/fcs_attendance.html

Just a quick peak of FCS vs FBS....there are 87 FCS schools that have a higher avg attendance than Eastern Michigan (5006).

Absolutely boggles my mind. Why bother committing to play FBS football if you can't get more than 5K through the gates?

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Absolutely boggles my mind. Why bother committing to play FBS football if you can't get more than 5K through the gates?

On the up side EMU averaged a little over 4,000 last year...things are looking up for the Eagles.

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
How do they figure that Georgia St's average attendance of 13,300 (which is probably horribly over-reported anyway) is 46% capacity. Don't they play at the 70K seat Georgia Dome?

Gringer1
October 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
How do they figure that Georgia St's average attendance of 13,300 (which is probably horribly over-reported anyway) is 46% capacity. Don't they play at the 70K seat Georgia Dome?

They don't count all of the seats. They say only some of them are available. It doesn't make any sense at all, but it's a way for them to feel better about their miserable existence.

dgreco
October 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Have you ever been to Ypsilanti? 5k is good.

bojeta
October 4th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I don't know the facts regarding this, but I'll bet their contract with the Georgia Dome was to use a certain section of seats. The remainder are likely off limits.

AshevilleApp2
October 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Missoula?

appfan2008
October 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
the sad part about emu is that is mere minutes away from michigan stadium with over 110,000 in attendance!

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM
the sad part about emu is that is mere minutes away from michigan stadium with over 110,000 in attendance!

Maybe if EMU were to win more games they can get some of those people to attend. Winning = attendance.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Surprised at Montana St. I always thought of their stadium being in the 13k range, I guess that new expansion is really paying off. Not only that, but they're at 124%

Where do they put them?

Gringer1
October 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
On the grass. You can do that when you play outside :P

UAalum72
October 4th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Surprised at Montana St. I always thought of their stadium being in the 13k range, I guess that new expansion is really paying off. Not only that, but they're at 124%
The NCAA report doesn't take the expansion into account. If Bobcat Stadium capacity is now 17,777, they're closer to 106%

Catbooster
October 4th, 2012, 11:12 PM
The NCAA report doesn't take the expansion into account. If Bobcat Stadium capacity is now 17,777, they're closer to 106%
UAalum72 is right.

IIRC our old capacity was a little over 13,500 and with SRO we were a little over 110% average.

MplsBison
October 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
MSU is averaging 18850 according to that link. If the capacity is considered 13500, then they'd be running about 140%

813Jag
October 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
they list 24,000 as capacity for Southern but it's actually 29,000. #24 after one horrible game, that's not too bad. With next week being homecoming, could have a huge crowd if the Jags win this weekend.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2012, 08:55 AM
asu would lead the sun belt in attendance right now if we were there... just saying...

Gringer1
October 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
That doesn't strike you as a warning sign?

downbythebeach
October 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM
SFU is in last place nationally
It pours or is freezing at every game........every year
snows sometimes....

UNDColorado
October 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
asu would lead the sun belt in attendance right now if we were there... just saying...

I caught the Florida International vs. Arkansas State game last night on espnU and their attendance was TERRIBLE! It made me wonder how those types of schools managed to become FBS.

WeAreNorthDakota
October 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
UND can't go more than about the top 26 teams in the FCS due to playing in a dome (12283) unless its Standing Room Only but that only goes so far).

I actually think there's a pretty significant SRO potential in the Alerus. If we ever get to the point where the seats are consistently selling out the Alerus could just rope off the railings in the endzones and actually check tickets there. I've always thought that a reason our sections look empty is that people with less than stellar seats just opt to stand on the railing instead of using their seats. I'd guess we could add a full section's worth of tickets with SRO.

MplsBison
October 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I caught the Florida International vs. Arkansas State game last night on espnU and their attendance was TERRIBLE! It made me wonder how those types of schools managed to become FBS.

If a school like SFU, which is about like Concordia Moorhead but with a much smaller endowment, can be Division I ..... should it really surprise you that attendance has nothing to do with what division schools are?

darell1976
October 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I actually think there's a pretty significant SRO potential in the Alerus. If we ever get to the point where the seats are consistently selling out the Alerus could just rope off the railings in the endzones and actually check tickets there. I've always thought that a reason our sections look empty is that people with less than stellar seats just opt to stand on the railing instead of using their seats. I'd guess we could add a full section's worth of tickets with SRO.

Most people at the Alerus for football was 13,500. FBS will require us out of the Alerus. So I don't really see many improvements on seating at the ALerus if UND is only there for maybe another 10-15 years.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
If GSU counted total enrollment as a "ticket sold", we would average @33,000 per game. In reality, we have about 7,000 students show up and 12-13,000 fans/alumni. Counting ALL students is an acceptable method according to the NCAA guidelines, but I only know of one school that does it in order to inflate their numbers. It shows up big time when that school only has 13,000 in the playoffs.

For the record, I've suggested we do this at Georgia Southern. I think it's great marketing strategy.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
MSU is averaging 18850 according to that link. If the capacity is considered 13500, then they'd be running about 140%

See previous response.....

THANK YOU President Cruzado and Coach Ash!!!

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Time to redo the east side and add about 4,000 seats and a new set of sky boxes!!

biggie
October 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
If GSU counted total enrollment as a "ticket sold", we would average @33,000 per game. In reality, we have about 7,000 students show up and 12-13,000 fans/alumni. Counting ALL students is an acceptable method according to the NCAA guidelines, but I only know of one school that does it in order to inflate their numbers. It shows up big time when that school only has 13,000 in the playoffs.

For the record, I've suggested we do this at Georgia Southern. I think it's great marketing strategy.
You should probably come to a game, like this week when there will be over 30k there, instead of dreaming things in your head.

App reports tickets sold (including students that have to print off a ticket), there are over 10k students there for regular season games.

darell1976
October 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Time to redo the east side and add about 4,000 seats and a new set of sky boxes!!

Our team will bring a lot of fans to your stadium on Oct. 27th. I can't wait to see your stadium in person (once the kids get a little older).

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I can't make it either due to HS Volleyball. But plan on making the trip to both Dakotas next fall!!

darell1976
October 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I can't make it either due to HS Volleyball. But plan on making the trip to both Dakotas next fall!!

Two Montana's at home in one season...its going to be a packed house at the Alerus next season.

AppChicago
October 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM
SFU is in last place nationally
It pours or is freezing at every game........every year
snows sometimes....

Well, now. It rains and snows and sleets most everywhere during football season. So that's not really it, right?

Apphole
October 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
You should probably come to a game, like this week when there will be over 30k there, instead of dreaming things in your head.

App reports tickets sold (including students that have to print off a ticket), there are over 10k students there for regular season games.

I don't think so, man. I was told by someone that worked in the process that the count is generated by tickets scanned at the gate. It should be very accurate assuming people don't sneak in somehow.

biggie
October 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I don't think so, man. I was told by someone that worked in the process that the count is generated by tickets scanned at the gate. It should be very accurate assuming people don't sneak in somehow.
It is tickets at the gate for the student tickets, but no way it can just be gate scans for everyone. On rainy days the attendance number is a bit higher that what's in the seats, therefore the purchased tickets have to be counted.

Maybe I'll try to clear that up this weekend, hanging out in the press box/radio call booth.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM

I've been to every App St-Ga Southern game in Boone going back to the late '90's missing 2011 only. There are a lot more Hillbillies now than 10 years ago, but not 14-18K more.

Apphole
October 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I've been to every App St-Ga Southern game in Boone going back to the late '90's missing 2011 only. There are a lot more Hillbillies now than 10 years ago, but not 14-18K more.

Are you a professional ball parker/eye baller? I'm taking you to the fair to guess the amount of Skittles in the jar....

But seriously, our numbers are accurate.

344Johnson
October 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Our team will bring a lot of fans to your stadium on Oct. 27th. I can't wait to see your stadium in person (once the kids get a little older).

UND fans travelling?

darell1976
October 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM
UND fans travelling?

A lot of alumns live throughout the west. There will be UND fans there.

frozennorth
October 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
A lot of alumns live throughout the west. There will be UND fans there.

darell keeps pretending UND football is the same thing as NDSU football.

They'll be fans there, but they will never pull off NDSU caliber travelling.

MTfan4life
October 5th, 2012, 04:51 PM
darell keeps pretending UND football is the same thing as NDSU football.

They'll be fans there, but they will never pull off NDSU caliber travelling.

JFC, darell simply mentions there will be UND fans at a MSU vs. UND game and you feel the need to point out that NDSU travels better than UND? Who ***king cares? I know you clearly get a chub from following darell around, but how about just bring up NDSU when he mentions NDSU. This isn't an NDSU thread, so why would this even come up??? Everything darell says these days turns into an NDSU fan field day. Even when he doesn't mention NDSU, there are people popping in to rub one out to saying NDSU is better than UND.

frozennorth
October 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
JFC, darell simply mentions there will be UND fans at a MSU vs. UND game and you feel the need to point out that NDSU travels better than UND? Who ***king cares? I know you clearly get a chub from following darell around, but how about just bring up NDSU when he mentions NDSU. This isn't an NDSU thread, so why would this even come up??? Everything darell says these days turns into an NDSU fan field day. Even when he doesn't mention NDSU, there are people popping in to rub one out to saying NDSU is better than UND.

perhaps you would have preferred I said, 'no, und will not have many fans there, idiot'?

being a fan of UND football is defined by it's relationship to NDSU. I will say that darell is a contributor to why I am so hostile to my alma-mater on the site. He is utterly nauseating and i'm embarrassed that he affiliates with my school.

Tod
October 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
perhaps you would have preferred I said, 'no, und will not have many fans there, idiot'?

being a fan of UND football is defined by it's relationship to NDSU. I will say that darell is a contributor to why I am so hostile to my alma-mater on the site. He is utterly nauseating and i'm embarrassed that he affiliates with my school.

Darrel is far more valuable to this site than you. Or me, for that matter.

So, you dumped your Alma-mater to jump on the NDSU bandwagon. Interesting.

frozennorth
October 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Darrel is far more valuable to this site than you.

darell offers nothing but clueless, ignorant, naive pap.

UND football is lost in mediocrity, and the fans appear to be committed to it remaining there. I'm not a complacent person, and UND is the epitome of complacent football fandom.

Tod
October 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM

UND football is lost in mediocrity, and the fans appear to be committed to it remaining there. I'm not a complacent person, and UND is the epitome of complacent football fandom.

So I assume you stuck by their hockey team?

seantaylor
October 6th, 2012, 12:33 AM
GSU averages way more than 7K students. And way less than 13K alum/locals

Gringer1
October 6th, 2012, 12:44 AM

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/08/22/298707-cool-story-bro-obama.jpg

cbarrier90
October 6th, 2012, 02:35 AM

lol how many times have we been over this? Across the board no one attends FCS playoff games due to holidays, extended travel, etc. The difference is very visible in the stands, which can only mean the numbers aren't fudged.

Maybe if your school would get its tail out from between its legs and expand the "Prettiest LITTLE Stadium in America" you could challenge for the top spot.

darell1976
October 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM

And still has a better rep than you do.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Even though you only live 2 hours away Casey, the last time you attended a game at Paulson was when? I understand if the DUI court won't let you drive.

Hammersmith
October 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM
NDSU sets a new record vs. YSU: 19,065. Only 12 more than the previous record vs. South Dakota State, but we're well into the diminishing returns stage in a fixed-capacity facility.

whitey
October 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
25,077 on hand at Bridgeforth today to watch JMU pull out a win late against Towson.

darell1976
October 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM
NDSU sets a new record vs. YSU: 19,065. Only 12 more than the previous record vs. South Dakota State, but we're well into the diminishing returns stage in a fixed-capacity facility.

It won't be long before there are cries to the AD about a new facility. NDSU probably could have had 25,000 at the game today.

ngineer
October 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
5,022 at Goodman for Columbia today. Students on mid-term vacation, so as expected. Would have been around 8,000 with school in session.

Seawolf97
October 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
5100 made it out tonight for Stonybrook. Not impressive after 10,287 showed up for Homecoming. Cold wind all night and threat of heavy rain may have kept many of the faithfull home.

Sammy94
October 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM
26,100 or so for the SHSU/SFA game. New record.

seantaylor
October 7th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Even though you only live 2 hours away Casey, the last time you attended a game at Paulson was when? I understand if the DUI court won't let you drive.

Um, last year, Cliff. even though I just had a child. And will be there at least twice this season. You don't remember that carton of Kools I brought your kin pro bono?

frozennorth
October 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM
And still has a better rep than you do.

and 8x the posts, moron.

McLeansvilleAppFan
October 7th, 2012, 06:48 AM

True about a Saturday in Boone, but I don't think the NCAA is using the extra endzone seats as part of the official capacity as it relates to percent. Is not KBS with the endzone around 24,000 seats now?