PDA

View Full Version : What school seemingly "owns" yours through the years in football???

Sader87
October 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Lot of talk out of Easton this week about the "Princeton curse." While the majority of the series was played before the Warren Harding administration, there is some validity to this as the series stands 38-4-3 in Princestone's favor.

We, Holy Cross, seem to be similarly allergic to Yale Blue....the Crusaders are a paltry 4-27 against the men from New Haven in the series which dates back to 1903 between these two fine institutions.

What school, if any, seems to be your football team's kryptonite???

Mattymc727
October 4th, 2012, 07:50 AM
W&M....

Smitty
October 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this exactly...

WrenFGun
October 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM
W&M....

It was the entire state of Virginia for quite awhile, but we haven't beaten W&M in a long, long time. Two painful ones came in 2004 when UNH saw their only regular season loss to W&M, 9-6 or something of that nature. Then on homecoming a few years ago there was the pass where the QB (Phillips) tiptoed the line of scrimmage and fired a TD pass with very little time left (after an INT to win the game was overturned on a roughing the passer call) to win it for W&M.

fc97
October 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM
app, you can call it the elon curse. no win since 1964, 17 in a row, crossing 3 divisions of football.

andy7171
October 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
The whole CAA owned us up until last year.

Happy Penguin
October 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Until this year, UNI. Always made a play or got a call at the very end to break my heart. Finally broke an 11 game losing streak.

Apphole
October 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Historically it's been Furman. They're the only SoCon team to own the overall series. The last decade we've been fairly even. Wouldn't call it "ownage" by any means but if anyone would claim the title against ASU, it would have to be Furple.

Laker
October 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Well, we don't play them anymore since they are FCS- but I would like to find MN State-Mankato's all time record against NDSU, and UND for that matter. We didn't have much luck against either team. I've been trying to find out online but haven't had any luck yet. I'm sure fans of both teams would be more than happy to remind me.............

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Well, we don't play them anymore since they are FCS- but I would like to find MN State-Mankato's all time record against NDSU, and UND for that matter. We didn't have much luck against either team. I've been trying to find out online but haven't had any luck yet. I'm sure fans of both teams would be more than happy to remind me.............

UND was 24-7-1 against MSU-Mankato winning 8 out of the last 10 games. MSU's last win vs UND was in 2002 (36-35), the series ended after the 2007 season.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this exactly...

I'll help and it's not as bad as you think:

App St : 18-56
GSU : 2-20

BisonBacker
October 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM

You asked so here ya go.
NDSU VS Mankato 26-6-0

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
UND is 0-20 vs Minnesota (last played in 1974), the only other team that has a big series difference is Northern Iowa. UNI leads the series 14-25-0. UND winning the last meeting in 2006.

woffordgrad94
October 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Several of the FCS teams here "owned" us back when we were an NAIA/D2, but since we've moved to the SoCon, it'd have to be App as we have beaten them fewer times than any other SoCon team and they have delieved us a couple of major beatdowns too. On the other side of the coin, we have definitely owned The Citadel...they haven't beaten us in over a decade.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Until this year, UNI. Always made a play or got a call at the very end to break my heart. Finally broke an 11 game losing streak.

Right you are!!

http://www.fanboyplanet.com/ontv/images/MXCkennyandvic.jpg

mamberso
October 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Eastern Kentucky

Laker
October 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
You asked so here ya go.
NDSU VS Mankato 26-6-0

I figured that it would be something like that. I sat through enough of those losses and saw one win. I can remember having the lead several times and watching it waste away.

Thanks, BB- I think.

bjtheflamesfan
Really Lehigh is getting to that point (though we only met three times and I dont know what the plan is after this year), but the Flames have only won one time against Coastal in Conway (2008, I was there with the marching band) so that really is the closest I can come up with

Im sure CSU and VMI fans could speak to their less than stellar records against Liberty though

Anovafan
Youngstown State for Nova out of conference, cost us one, maybe two NC

In league, W&M at W&M seems to always be a loss

Laker
October 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Right you are!!

http://www.fanboyplanet.com/ontv/images/MXCkennyandvic.jpg

Most Extreme Elimination! One of the funniest shows ever!
www.tv.com/shows/mxc-most-extreme-elimination-challenge

bobcathpdevil56
October 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Ummmmmmmm can't seem to think of one.....;)

superman7515
October 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Hampden-Sydney: 0-3-1 against them. Had some real powerhouse teams back in the 30's.

Hammerhead
October 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM
NDSU lead the series 26-6-0

ysubigred
October 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hampden-Sydney: 0-3-1 against them. Had some real powerhouse teams back in the 30's.

The Hen's had YSU's number back in the day.. YSU was 1-6 from 1974-98.

SpeedkingATL
October 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Montana owned App until this year having knocked us out of the playoffs twice in our only meeting prior to this year. Glad to get that monkee off our backs even if it was a regular season victory.

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
None really come to mind...

GaSouthern
October 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Troy did some pretty strong damage to us back in the 1930's.

Gil Dobie
October 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Have to say YSU for NDSU in recent years.

SleepySmurf
October 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hofstra owned Stony Brook before they dropped football. We were something like 0-12 all time against them and only a couple at the end of Hofstra's program were even close. There were some really bad blow outs (like Marques Colston's senior year) before Priore took over. We were inching closer to them, then they dropped football and our growth accelerated immediately.

fc97
October 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Historically it's been Furman. They're the only SoCon team to own the overall series. The last decade we've been fairly even. Wouldn't call it "ownage" by any means but if anyone would claim the title against ASU, it would have to be Furple.

what about east carolina. you've beaten them twice since 1962 and none as d-i

Laker
October 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hofstra owned Stony Brook before they dropped football. We were something like 0-12 all time against them and only a couple at the end of Hofstra's program were even close. There were some really bad blow outs (like Marques Colston's senior year) before Priore took over. We were inching closer to them, then they dropped football and our growth accelerated immediately.

SS, why have so many schools in the Northeast dropped football? You guys are on the rise in sports, as shown by your baseball team in the CWS and your football team beating Army. But you seem to be the exception. What is the deal?

TheRevSFA
October 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Texas State has owned us for the past 7 years.

tribefan40
October 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
For W&M:

vs Virginia ... 6-27-1
vs Virginia Tech ... 18-40-4

I wouldn't say anyone 'owns' us in conference, but our record against Delaware could be better....

Dukie95
October 4th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I can't think of any...but I know W&M has at least one. ;)

SleepySmurf
October 4th, 2012, 09:50 AM
SS, why have so many schools in the Northeast dropped football? You guys are on the rise in sports, as shown by your baseball team in the CWS and your football team beating Army. But you seem to be the exception. What is the deal?

Honestly, I don't get it. Stony Brook and Albany have both proven how football and grow and thrive in the area so I have a hard time explaining Hofstra, Boston U, etc. I think each school has there own story. Whether it was money, lack of effort, a particular administrator who had it out for football ... so on and so forth. Why there is (or hopefully - was) a trend in the northeast is beyond me.

ASUG8
October 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Montana owned App until this year having knocked us out of the playoffs twice in our only meeting prior to this year. Glad to get that monkee off our backs even if it was a regular season victory.

I'd like another shot at Maine and McNeese.....two more monkeys that we're defeated against.

tribefan40
October 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I can't think of any...but I know W&M has at least one. ;)

Guess I'll amend my earlier comment and say that yes JMU does own us as of late, winning 7 of the last 8. We're 15-19 all time vs. the dookies.

T-Dog
October 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Check the sig. xsmiley_wix

ASU is 0-8 against teams from the state of Louisiana and 0-7 against current Southland teams.

Apphole
October 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM

We own the overall series by a lot. We've only played twice in the last two decades and there was a difference of 22 scholarships. If they even the series once we go FBS, I'll add them to the list.

NC State would be a good FBS to add. Pretty sure we're 0-5 against the Wolf Pack.

Sader87
October 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I guess by "own" I'm also implying that there really is no rhyme or reason why your school seems to inexplicably come up short time and time again against a particular team.

I can understand why Yale was 11-0 against Holy Cross from 1903-1913. Walter Camp and all that.

The series then evened up a bit during the mid 20th Century, Yale wining 2 of 3 from 1945-1950 and HC winning in 1967.

What's been maddening has been Yale's 14-2 series advantage from 1981 to present day.

http://collegefootball.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=collegefootball&cdn=sports&tm=5&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

Libertine
October 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Honestly, I don't get it. Stony Brook and Albany have both proven how football and grow and thrive in the area so I have a hard time explaining Hofstra, Boston U, etc. I think each school has there own story. Whether it was money, lack of effort, a particular administrator who had it out for football ... so on and so forth. Why there is (or hopefully - was) a trend in the northeast is beyond me.

I think it boils down to the commitment that the administration is willing to invest and the culture that the administration is willing to inspire and instill in both the students and faculty. I made several trips to Hofstra back in the day and I've been to Stony Brook twice and the difference is definitive. Hofstra could have won the national title and only the players' mothers would have cared. On one occasion, while wearing Liberty gear I actually shared a Shuart pressbox elevator with Rabinowitz who had no idea that A). Liberty was another university, B). Liberty had a football team and C). we were Hofstra's opponent that day. This was the 6th time our two schools had played in the previous seven years. At Stony Brook, however, the experience is completely different. When the people in the stands show up all wearing the same color, you know somebody has put some commitment into what's going on.

bulldog10jw
October 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I guess by "own" I'm also implying that there really is no rhyme or reason why your school seems to inexplicably come up short time and time again against a particular team.

I can understand why Yale was 11-0 against Holy Cross from 1903-1913. Walter Camp and all that.

The series then evened up a bit during the mid 20th Century, Yale wining 2 of 3 from 1945-1950 and HC winning in 1967.

What's been maddening has been Yale's 14-2 series advantage from 1981 to present day.

http://collegefootball.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=collegefootball&cdn=sports&tm=5&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

I would trade any two other Yale victories over HC in exchange for the HC win in 1967. That was Yale's only loss that year.

kdinva
October 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
.....On one occasion, while wearing Liberty gear I actually shared a Shuart pressbox elevator with Rabinowitz who had no idea that A). Liberty was another university, B). Liberty had a football team and C). we were Hofstra's opponent that day. This was the 6th time our two schools had played in the previous seven years.....

That is unreal! I'd give one of these: xblehx to the entire Hofstra community....... xcoffeex

bulldog10jw
October 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Yale has a winning record against every team they have played on a regular or semi-regular basis (say 20 times or more). And this is despite Harvard's recent run against us.

So even though Harvard has our number now, it hasn't been so over the history of the rivalry.

So no one really has our number if I understand the question correctly.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Youngstown State for Nova out of conference, cost us one, maybe two NC

In league, W&M at W&M seems to always be a loss

It's not as bad as you think. We're only 3-4 down their since 1997. Though the alltime record in Williamsburg is 4-10....

As of recently UNH has had our number. In the regular season we're 1-5 against them since 2004. Prior to that we rolled off 6 straight against them, so it seems to be a series of runs there. But we did win the most important game against them, the magical quarterfinal game in the snow in 09 :)

Grizcountry420
October 4th, 2012, 11:21 AM

70-36-5

Franks Tanks
October 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM

But Albany and SBU are rather large SUNY flagship schools. Football is a big expense for a private school, and when your urban student body doesn't care about the team it opens the door for elimination.

As you know college football, even FBS college football, isn't all that popular in the major NE markets. Everybody loves the plentiful pro teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
For Lehigh I would say Delaware over the last 20 years. The Blue Hens are 9-1 in their last 10 against the Mountain Hawks. Two over those wins were in the playoffs, '00 and '10.

Go Green
October 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Under that definition, it's Penn for Dartmouth. We've lost 13 of the last 14. But seven of the last eight losses have been by a touchdown/conversion or less. Including this past Saturday. :(

bobcathpdevil56
October 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM
70-36-5

I know, I was being sarcastic

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I think West Chester has "owned" Delaware for forty something years.... finally the contract has expired

OL FU
October 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM
IF you take certain periods of time, I guess several schools have owned us but overall no one would qualify for the owning category. Georgia Southern comes the closest since they have beaten us more than we have beaten them. Not sure of the exact record ( I am certain an eagle fan can remind me) but I think we have beaten them in enough big games (1988,2001 2004 come to mind) that I think owning would be a stretch.

Of course, I am not counting GBS schools like Clemson

Marco
October 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
More than 1200 games played and a winning percentage of about 60% since 1884, but one team more than any other has consistently given LU fits. That would be Penn (U of P). Lehigh a pedestrian 13 - 42 against the Quackers. I chose Penn because the series, although "on again, off again", has endureed through the decades through 2003. Cannot sneeze at the total number of games, (56). Second? Princeton. Not lately, but overall, we're 14-39-2 against them.

SpeedkingATL
October 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM

App beat ECU on a Jerry Harmon field goal in either 74 or 75 when we were both Division 1, prior to the creation of 1-AA.

dbackjon
October 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM
For NAU, it has been Montana.

Won this year!!!!

Redbird Ray
October 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Northern Iowa has a had a pretty good run against us. Other than that, I'd say we're solidly near or above .500 versus everyone else in conference over the last 20 or so years.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
But Albany and SBU are rather large SUNY flagship schools. Football is a big expense for a private school, and when your urban student body doesn't care about the team it opens the door for elimination.

As you know college football, even FBS college football, isn't all that popular in the major NE markets. Everybody loves the plentiful pro teams.

Consider how many DII and DIII football teams play in the northeast. The sheer number of teams playing football every Saturday is enormous.

Pennsylvania alone has 3 FBS teams, 8 FCS teams, 17 DII teams and 24 DIII teams. That's a total of 54 NCAA football teams, 28 of which either provide scholarships or are eligible to do so. Based on that, it's hard to conclude that there's a general lack of interest in college football.

Fordham
October 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Lehigh

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
There's no doubt that Princeton "owns" Lafayette. It's believed to be a "curse" on College Hill because the Tigers' winning percentage against us, particularly over the last three decades, often bears little or no relation to the overall comparative success of the two teams in any given season. For instance, in 2005 Lafayette shut out Richmond, defeated Lehigh, won the Patriot League championship, and went to the playoffs. Yet we lost to Princeton. In 1992 Lafayette clobbered Buffalo, beat Harvard, beat Lehigh and won the PL. Again, we lost to Princeton. There are plenty of other examples. By contrast, in 2009 the Pards swept the Ivies, beating Harvard, Yale, Penn and Columbia. Fortunately we didn't play Princeton that year - I'm willing to bet that we'd have lost that one, too.

The flip side of "the Curse" for the Leopards (when it comes to Ivy teams) is Columbia. In 42 games played since 1889, Lafayette is 28-12-2 over the Lions. Not unreasonable, I suppose, but in all that time, the powder-blue pablum have never, ever, won a single game in Easton. Not one. That's got to leave a mark.

AmsterBison
October 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
For NDSU, it's been Montana State doing the owning, having won 21 of 34.

Minnesota used to hold that crown with 6 wins to 2 losses, but I think that last three games (the only ones since 1937), have put that to rest. Jacksonville State ranks up there too.

Since NDSU has gone DI, it's been Youngstown State - NDSU is lucky to have a win against them since joining the MVFC.

MTfan4life
October 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM
The Griz are 6-102-4 against the current teams of the Pac-12. Mostly all of those games were played before 1960, though. More recently, the Griz weren't that great against Nevada or Boise State, 13-26 combined. Most recently, for FCS teams that the Griz have a losing record against and have played more than once: Youngstown State is 2-0, Georgia Southern 2-1, and Western Illinois is 2-1.

darell1976
October 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM
The Griz are 6-102-4 against the current teams of the Pac-12. Mostly all of those games were played before 1960, though. More recently, the Griz weren't that great against Nevada or Boise State, 13-26 combined. Most recently, for FCS teams that the Griz have a losing record against and have played more than once: Youngstown State is 2-0, Georgia Southern 2-1, and Western Illinois is 2-1.

Montana is 11-7-1 against UND...hopefully we can close the gap with back to back games in Grand Forks in 2012 and 2013.

Silenoz
October 4th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Historically, Idaho

HensRock
October 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
The Hen's had YSU's number back in the day.. YSU was 1-6 from 1974-98.

Those were some CLASSIC matchups. I think it was the 1979 game that featured #1 Delaware at #1 Youngstown State (both schools were ranked #1 in the two major polls back then with the other ranked #2 in each)

hawkineer
October 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Lehigh cuurently owns Bucknell. Haven't lost to them since '97.

TheBisonator
October 4th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I know I'm starting something up, but in the days almost before modern medicine (like 1893 to about the 1920's) UND owned us in FB. It's been quite similar in W's and L's ever since then up to 2003, but people must remember that NDSU was once a politically kept-down school in our state, we once weren't really even allowed to have an identity. The governor and others wanted to shut us down in the 1930's just because they thought we were getting in the way.

Smitty
October 4th, 2012, 06:24 PM
So technically here is what it looks like

The Bad

Marshall L-5
Wofford L-7
Samford L-9
Furman L-7
Georgia Southern L-17
Elon L-6
App St L-7

The Not So Bad

Cit L-1
Chat L-3

The Good

Mars Hill W-14 (doesn't really count, but got to count somethingxnonono2x)

Hawk98
October 4th, 2012, 06:28 PM
New Hampshire has won 11 of 13 against Lehigh, no Lehigh wins in 30 years.

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Lehigh cuurently owns Bucknell. Haven't lost to them since '97.

And it's actually the longest active winning streak in all of NCAA football.

fatmonarch
October 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Fun fact: odu has never lost twice to any one team. We are a solid 0-1 to Fordham, cal poly, Delaware, Towson, and gsu. That's really it. Hopefully by seasons end we can change a few of those records for the better.

Gil Dobie
October 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Since 1970, NDSU is 3-0 vs Montana ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
And it's actually the longest active winning streak in all of NCAA football.

One of the biggest reasons Lehigh has been so successful in the PL is their dominance over Bucknell, Georgetown and Fordham.

Bucknell - Lehigh has won 14 straight
Georgetown - Lehigh has won 11 straight
Fordham - Lehigh is 23-2 all-time against the Rams

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Montana 0-5

No one in the conference has. In fact I think we only have a losing record against 1 current or former member of the Gateway/MVFC and that is WKU. I am too lazy to put the effort into actually looking that up for sure right now though.

Edit: I looked it up and here is UNI vs current and former Gateway/MVFC members.

UNI vs:

Illinois State -- 19-9
Indiana State -- 24-4
Missouri State -- 27-5
NDSU -- 25-19
South Dakota -- 24-17
SDSU -- 27-17
SIU -- 16-14
Western Illinois -- 27-13
Youngstown -- 20-6
WKU -- 5-5
EIU -- 15-6

Also surprisingly UNI vs Drake is at 20-25. We are 3-0 vs Kansas State though so go figure.

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Now that I've thought about it, for Montana you could probably say the CAA as a whole. As satisfying as our win at #1 JMU in '08 was, it's absolutely maddening to think about the fact that we've lost to three different teams from the conference in national title games, and to another one in the semis at home. All were very good teams and deserved winners, but man, that **** was frustrating. xnonono2x

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM
For NAU, it has been Montana.

Won this year!!!!

Yeah, we're all aware. xrolleyesxxcoffeex

:D

No_Skill
October 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Since 1970, NDSU is 3-0 vs Montana ;)

Question Gil, has Montana ever won in Fargo?

MTfan4life
October 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Question Gil, has Montana ever won in Fargo?

Montana has never played in Fargo, so no they haven't won in Fargo. The Griz are 3-1 against NDSU in Missoula and 0-2 in Sacramento.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Checking the NCAA Data Warehouse the only teams listed with a W-L advantage of 3 or more over McNeese are

Louisiana Tech 24 - 13
Northern Iowa 7 - 4
Texas Arlington 11-7-1

Go...gate
October 4th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Colgate is 0-5 all time vs. Delaware, including the 2003 NC game (40-0), 1982 NCAA QF (20-13), 1977 when the Hens denied one of the two or three best Colgate teams ever an undefeated season (21-3), 1978 (48-39) and 1979 (24-16 en route to UD's Division II title). We are also 11-25-3 against Yale and Army has also dominated our series, though Colgate has actually pulled some major upsets against both the Elis and Black Knights.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Some big W-L differentials for the Cats:
Army 3-18
BC 15-29
Kentucky 1-7
Maryland 2-9
Navy 2-9
Princeton 1-8
Virginia Tech 0-5
Youngstown 2-7
So it appears FCS wise Princeton and Youngstown have our number. The Youngstown one hurts a hell of a lot more though with the playoff losses, especially back in 97.

On the other hand we have dominated afew schools:
Fordham 19-4
Northeastern (RIP) 12-5
Penn 11-5
Rhody 14-3
Richmond 21-9
And some other mighty teams like West Chester, Ursinus, Xavier, Muhlenburgh, Penn Dental College, Catholic U

DSUrocks07
October 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Florida A&M 8-22 (including a four game winning streak from '05-'08)
SC State 15-26
NCCU 8-14

BCU 20-15
Howard 37-30
Morgan St. 23-32
NC A&T 20-20
Norfolk St. 13-6
UMES 16-21

And yes, we're 0-4 against UD now but a couple other interesting ones

UConn 2-0
Akron 1-0
Boston U 1-0
Northeastern 6-1
Grambling 1-0
Rhode Island 1-2
VMI 2-0
James Madison 1-2
Youngstown St. 1-3
Towson 6-9
Liberty 5-9

Michigan 0-1
Boise St. 0-1
UMass 0-2
Bucknell 0-3
Elon 0-4
Eastern Kentucky 0-2
Northwestern St. 0-3
West Chester (PA) 0-3
Western Illinois 0-3

Atlantic City HS 0-1
Moorestown HS (NJ) 0-1

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Those were some CLASSIC matchups. I think it was the 1979 game that featured #1 Delaware at #1 Youngstown State (both schools were ranked #1 in the two major polls back then with the other ranked #2 in each)

beat em twice in the same year, including the Div 2 National title game

813Jag
October 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Frustratingly Nicholls State, the Jags are 6-13 against them (including losses to some horrible Colonel teams). Tennessee State also holds a big advantage over us. (12-27-2)

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2012, 08:38 AM
If I had to pick just one opponent that has dominated CCSU the most, I'd have to nominate: American International College (AIC) in Springfield, Mass.

All-time AIC holds a 31-13-3 (.691) advantage over CCSU.

From 1951 through 1992 (42 years) the teams played annually as 'College Division' and D-II peers. During that time, AIC was 28-12-2 vs. Central. Furthermore, for the last 19 games played between the two schools (1974-1992), AIC held an 14-4-1 advantage against the Blue Devils.

CCSU is winless in its last 11 games played vs. AIC (0-10-1). Central's last victory vs. AIC was at Springfield in 1981. Central's last win vs. AIC in New Britain was in 1978.

---

Since reclassifing as I-AA/FCS in 1993, Robert Morris has the best winning percentage vs. Central (with more than 4 games played), althought lately CCSU has begun to turn the tides.

All-time RMU holds a 13-5 (.722) advantage over CCSU.

Since 1994, the teams have played annually. Bobby Mo won the first 10 games played, however CCSU is 5-3 in the last 8 games played heading into this season.

appfan2008
October 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
certainly hard to answer this maybe furman bc they have a winning record against us but we have done very well recently... the other way around it could be anyone else in the socon (other than gsu) wofford, utc, citadel (before this year), western and elon!

Sam_Kats
October 5th, 2012, 09:55 AM
McNeese

McNeeserocket
October 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Recently, SFA seemingly owns McNeese. McNeese has not beaten SFA since 2008. We will play this year on Oct. 27th and see if McNeese can get a win against them in this decade (2010 to 2019).

SFA probably has the best conference record against McNeese with SFA having won 9 out of the last 22 games played (going back to 1990).

McNeese won the 1990 to 1999 decade years 5 games to 4 games. There was a tie in 1991
McNeese won the 2000 to 2009 decade years 7 games to 3 games.
So far SFA owns the 2010 to 2019 decade having won both games played.

This year's game may be important to the conference title hopes of at least 5 teams (at least at the moment). After this weekend's game between Sam Houston and SFA things may be clearer or perhaps cause a 4-way tie for 1st or 2nd.

Bearkat-Backer
October 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
McNeese

You beat me to it.

downbythebeach
October 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM
SFU has never beaten SUNY Albany

WeAreNorthDakota
October 5th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I know I'm starting something up, but in the days almost before modern medicine (like 1893 to about the 1920's) UND owned us in FB. It's been quite similar in W's and L's ever since then up to 2003, but people must remember that NDSU was once a politically kept-down school in our state, we once weren't really even allowed to have an identity. The governor and others wanted to shut us down in the 1930's just because they thought we were getting in the way.

Though the win-loss record is pretty close overall, both teams have had their streaks of "owning" the other. UND won 16 out of 18 from 1947-1964. NDSU then won 8 of the next 9. NDSU won every matchup from 1981 to 1992 and then UND owned the last part of the rivalry, winning 9 of the last 11 meetings.

It's been a very even and obviously very heated rivalry but it's also been surprisingly cyclical.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM

"Seemingly" is the key word here. Since the Cats and Griz have played in the same division, the overall record is 30-26, Griz. I don't think anybody can say "owned" with a straight face in this historic rivalry.

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
For NDSU, it's been Montana State doing the owning, having won 21 of 34.

REALLY looking forward to next year in Fargo!! planning a bus trip for about 30 NE Montana fans!!

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Though the win-loss record is pretty close overall, both teams have had their streaks of "owning" the other. UND won 16 out of 18 from 1947-1964. NDSU then won 8 of the next 9. NDSU won every matchup from 1981 to 1992 and then UND owned the last part of the rivalry, winning 9 of the last 11 meetings.

It's been a very even and obviously very heated rivalry but it's also been surprisingly cyclical.

Kinda similar to Cat/Griz since they stopped wearing leather helmets anyway:

1965-85 - Cats 17-3
1986-2001- Griz 16-0
Since 2002 - Griz 6-4

darell1976
October 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Since moving to DI (2008-2012)

UND is:

1-3 vs Cal Poly
1-3 vs UC Davis
1-3 vs Southern Utah

bobcathpdevil56
October 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM
"Seemingly" is the key word here. Since the Cats and Griz have played in the same division, the overall record is 30-26, Griz. I don't think anybody can say "owned" with a straight face in this historic rivalry.

True, but since I was born we have beat them 4 times, so we are 4-22, not the best record

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM
True, but since I was born we have beat them 4 times, so we are 4-22, not the best record

Patience Grasshopper!! The glory years may be returning!!xsmileyclapx

McNeeserocket
October 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
McNeese

After your post, I was curious about the record between the two schools. I had no idea the record would be so one-sided. I always look forward to this game each year (including this year) because Sam Houston usually has such a high-powered offense. In the past, the only thing that kept Sam Houston from winning more games was defense. Sam has always been able to score tons of points, but now your defense is really really good!

Maroons
October 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Without going back to the early 1900s and looking at high school teams and small local colleges, the list is pretty short:

Team - Record - Date of Last Meeting
Central Michigan - 1-7 - 2003
App State - 3-8 - 2005

And more recently...
Richmond - -0-2 - 2008*
*Consecutive first round playoff eliminations.

eaglesrback
October 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
No One Owns Georgia Southern.

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM
No One Owns Georgia Southern.

Except NDSU ; )

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Yale has a winning record against every team they have played on a regular or semi-regular basis (say 20 times or more). And this is despite Harvard's recent run against us.

So even though Harvard has our number now, it hasn't been so over the history of the rivalry.

So no one really has our number if I understand the question correctly.

You may have a second career as a political press secretary!:D

Bogus Megapardus
October 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Even this guy couldn't spin a case for a Yale victory this year.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTZdjHsPL87D6xUNsZO1tB2wyd23r-s2XeZry_pcOBxYO5oaILjg

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Nobody has "owned" Harvard lately. Penn has a winning record against us since '82, but they don't really count because they're not accredited.

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM

It's not like anything I said was exaggerated, press secretary style, IT. The time frame was "through the years" ;)

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Even this guy couldn't spin a case for a Yale victory this year.

Georgetown?

Bogus Megapardus
October 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Georgetown?

I should have clarified - I meant a victory over Harvard. Does any other game really matter?

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I should have clarified - I meant a victory over Harvard. Does any other game really matter?

They all matter. This is the first year I can remember when I felt this early in the year that Yale had no shot against H. I usually fool myself into thinking an upset is possible until Halloween.

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2012, 10:29 PM
They all matter. This is the first year I can remember when I felt this early in the year that Yale had no shot against H. I usually fool myself into thinking an upset is possible until Halloween.

Remember '79, bulldog. Just flip the unis. Anything can happen in The Game. If Harvard gets cocky, they could lose it. And Yale's ex-Harvard coach will have them fired up.

NoCoDanny
October 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Everyone.