PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Running Back transfers to Texas State

Cat79
July 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Saturday, July 29, 2006

Come Monday, Texas State football coaches will close the books on a summer of recruiting, landing at least two players transferring from Division I-A programs.

In the past two weeks, the Bobcats added Chris MacDonald, a 2004 freshman All-America punter from Arizona State, and James Aston, a running back from Ohio State.

Aston was the all-time leading rusher at Katy High School outside of Houston (4,634 yards in two seasons) and a three-time state wrestling champion. At Ohio State, his wrestling coach asked him to choose wrestling over football. He chose to return to Texas instead.

Aston (5-8, 215) enters a deep running back corps, where the Bobcats currently list eight players, led by Daniel Jolly. Bailiff said the numbers will change, with some backs converting to receiver or defensive back. Jamal Williams has already moved to receiver.

:D :hurray:

Prominent0ne
July 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Aston was the all-time leading rusher at Katy High School outside of Houston (4,634 yards in two seasons) and a three-time state wrestling champion. At Ohio State, his wrestling coach asked him to choose wrestling over football. He chose to return to Texas instead.

Yeah, I seen that. Then I looked up his stats at Ohio St. Didn't find anything. I think he redshirt? Wasn't listed on the signings for Ohio St in his signing class.

Jason Miller of McNeese was La. Mr. Football rushing for over 5K+ in his career and is McNeese's starting FB. I won't be worried unless this guy shows he can do something.:nono:

I've learned that high school stats mean jack. Just my :twocents:

Lionsrking
July 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I seen that. Then I looked up his stats at Ohio St. Didn't find anything. I think he redshirt? Wasn't listed on the signings for Ohio St in his signing class.

Jason Miller of McNeese was La. Mr. Football rushing for over 5K+ in his career and is McNeese's starting FB. I won't be worried unless this guy shows he can do something.:nono:

I've learned that high school stats mean jack. Just my :twocents:

The title should read, "Ohio State wrestler transfers to Texas State to play RB." He was a member of the Buckeye wrestling team and did not play football there.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Glad to see the Ohio St education is paying off...

The Bobcats have a loaded backfield and I'm not quite sure any of the backs are going to get as much PT as they really want (and possibly deserve)...

Must be some non-football related reasons for Aston to head to San Marcos...

Brent
August 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
The title should read, "Ohio State wrestler transfers to Texas State to play RB." He was a member of the Buckeye wrestling team and did not play football there.

He had a scholarship in wrestling and walked-on to the football team.

The wrestling coach at Ohio St was forced to resign and the new coach told Aston, he's on a partial wrestling scholarship, he should wrestle and quit playing football. Aston refused and decided he couldn't stop playing football, but he could stop wrestling.

Aston chose TX State over SHSU.