PDA

View Full Version : Breitenstein Socon Offensive Player of the Week

crabby terrier
October 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Southern Conference named its football players of the week today for games played Saturday, Oct. 1. Wofford’s Eric Breitenstein has been named the Offensive Player of the Week, while Chattanooga’s Kadeem Wise was named the Defensive Player of the Week. Appalachian State’s Sean Price was selected as the Freshman of the Week, while Furman’s Jerodis Williams was tabbed the Special Teams Player of the Week. The players of the week are selected by the conference office.

Eric Breitenstein, a senior fullback from Valle Crucis, North Carolina, set a new Southern Conference record with 321 rushing yards in the Terriers’ 49-24 win at Elon. He eclipsed the previous mark of 313 set by Appalachian State’s Armanti Edwards on Dec. 7, 2007, against Richmond. Breitenstein carried 27 times, scored two touchdowns in the win and became just the third player in the league’s 91-year history to rush for more than 300 yards in a game. He scored on a 90-yard run on his opening carry of the game. He finished the first half with 228 yards on the ground, four yards shy of the league’s record for a single half. It also was the 23rd time he has rushed for more than 100 yards in a game.

It is the fifth SoCon Player of the Week honor for Breitenstein in his career and his second this season. He was also named the National Running Back of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards, National FCS Offensive Player of the Week by the Sports Network, and a College Sporting News National All-Star.

The Terriers will host Furman on Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. at Gibbs Stadium in a key Southern Conference contest.

GO TERRIERS!!!

asumike83
October 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Really, the Boone product is going to break Armanti's record by 8 yards? That seems completely unnecessary, I demand a recount!

eaglewraith
October 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Really, the Boone product is going to break Armanti's record by 8 yards? That seems completely unnecessary, I demand a recount!

Still behind AP's 333 rushing yards against UMass in the 99 playoffs.

But OF COURSE those stats don't count since the stupid NCAA won't go back and make playoff stats retroactively official prior to 2002.

Also, I think Jayson Foster holds the record for rushing yards in a half.....against Wofford :)

Mr. C
October 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM

But OF COURSE those stats don't count since the stupid NCAA won't go back and make playoff stats retroactively official prior to 2002.

Also, I think Jayson Foster holds the record for rushing yards in a half.....against Wofford :)

Oh, but the NCAA doesn't recognize AP's playoff rushing yardage. I had Jim Wright of the NCAA try to explain that to me and still think its hogwash.

The NCAA also doesn't recognize Dexter Coakley's FCS record for career tackles, because tackles were an "unofficial stat" when he played. You can go back and count everyone of them on game film, just like you can for all of AP's yards.

asumike83
October 1st, 2012, 09:58 PM

Yeah, well how many yards did he pass for in that game? Armanti had 182 and 3 touchdowns. xlolx

eaglewraith
October 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, well how many yards did he pass for in that game? Armanti had 182 and 3 touchdowns. xlolx

Well if he didn't have turf toe, he probably could have tacked on a bit more.

eagle07
October 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm ready for him to run right on out of the socon

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
He will likely get the Wofford school record in rushing seeing as he probably averages about 120 for his career and only needs just under 100 per game.

eagle07
October 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM
He will likely get the Wofford school record in rushing seeing as he probably averages about 120 for his career and only needs just under 100 per game.

He'll get it, no doubt

crabby terrier
October 1st, 2012, 10:50 PM

Come on...really!??! That was only 12 more yds,!! Please!!! He ran 12 yds just leaving the field after breaking the "official" record! He was pulled a full series before that and could have played another one so series. He would have had another 50+yds!

Yes Peterson had a great game but EB would have easily beaten that record as well.

GO TERRIERS!!!

cbarrier90
October 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Come on...really!??! That was only 12 more yds,!! Please!!! He ran 12 yds just leaving the field after breaking the "official" record! He was pulled a full series before that and could have played another one so series. He would have had another 50+yds!

Yes Peterson had a great game but EB would have easily beaten that record as well.

GO TERRIERS!!!

AE's and AP's rushing records were set in the FCS playoffs, not against a bad D-II squad. :D

phoenix3
October 2nd, 2012, 04:38 AM
If he'd have played another series he'd have had 100 more yards. One more play would've given him at least another 50.