PDA

View Full Version : #14 Towson Tigers @ #6 James Madison Dukes - NBCSports, Saturday at 1PM

jmufan999
October 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM
The Tigers are one of few FCS teams that have already played 2 FBS teams. Plenty of teams haven't even played 1, so their record is misleading. I don't read much into FBS losses so they don't mean anything to me. I also don't think narrow wins (i.e.- W&M) should penalize a team. They won, that's all that matters. Until they lose some conference games, I'll continue to believe this is a very good football team.

We're talking the reigning CAA champs who have won 11 of their last 13 FCS games, including a playoff game. Those two losses were by a combined 7 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also returned more starters than any other CAA team. They haven't lost a conference road game since November 2010. Did they suddenly forget how to play football?

This is a serious, serious challenge for JMU. Enders and West are phenomenal players. Towson gets pressure on the QB and gets off the field on 3rd downs. This is Parents' Weekend at JMU which always scares JMU fans. We don't always play well in those games. But JMU does typically play well coming off of an open week. Other than Dae'Quan possibly being out again, JMU is relatively healthy. Luckily, RB is easily JMU's deepest position. JMU is 12th in FCS rushing offense, yet Thorpe is our top rusher at only 65 yards/game (70th). This speaks to the talent of our o-line and the number of players we're rotating in at RB (4-5).

Both teams would like a grind-it-out kind of game, although JMU has actually attempted more passes this year if you can believe that. The Dukes will need to have long drives and finally get some sacks/turnovers on defense. JMU is 95th in sacks and 117th in turnovers gained. That won't cut it in this game.

This should be an EXCELLENT game. I'll post a prediction when I know more about the injury situation for both teams.

jmufan999
October 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
For DirecTV customers, NBCSports (HD) is channel 603.

LEHIGH61
October 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM
Just to set the recoed straight, Towson lost to Lehigh in the playoffs, 40-38, in one of the best football games I have ever seen, on any level. They are returning a truckload of players from last year. THEY ARE VERY GOOD and I predict that they will win the game,re
The Tigers are one of few FCS teams that have already played 2 FBS teams. Plenty of teams haven't even played 1, so their record is misleading. I don't read much into FBS losses so they don't mean anything to me. I also don't think narrow wins (i.e.- W&M) should penalize a team. They won, that's all that matters. Until they lose some conference games, I'll continue to believe this is a very good football team.

We're talking the reigning CAA champs who have won 11 of their last 13 FCS games, including a playoff game. Those two losses were by a combined 7 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also returned more starters than any other CAA team. They haven't lost a conference road game since November 2010. Did they suddenly forget how to play football?

This is a serious, serious challenge for JMU. Enders and West are phenomenal players. Towson gets pressure on the QB and gets off the field on 3rd downs. This is Parents' Weekend at JMU which always scares JMU fans. We don't always play well in those games. But JMU does typically play well coming off of an open week. Other than Dae'Quan possibly being out again, JMU is relatively healthy. Luckily, RB is easily JMU's deepest position. JMU is 12th in FCS rushing offense, yet Thorpe is our top rusher at only 65 yards/game (70th). This speaks to the talent of our o-line and the number of players we're rotating in at RB (4-5).

Both teams would like a grind-it-out kind of game, although JMU has actually attempted more passes this year if you can believe that. The Dukes will need to have long drives and finally get some sacks/turnovers on defense. JMU is 95th in sacks and 117th in turnovers gained. That won't cut it in this game.

This should be an EXCELLENT game. I'll post a prediction when I know more about the injury situation for both teams.

HailSzczur
October 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM
This is going to be a real interesting game to watch. As of right now neither team has really been tested too much (FBS games aside), so this will be the first chance to really judge what they can do. It should certainly help people out with their polls in the coming weeks.

Just looking at the playoff implications:
This ones big for Towson, 7 games left to get 5 wins. They have a pretty tough CAA schedule too without playing GaSt, W&M, or Richmond. A win would go a long way
For JMU a win puts them 3 wins away from the magic 7 with games W&M, Richmond, and GaSt on the horizon. A win on Saturday and I think most people would say JMU is on track for the playoffs for sure.

crusader11
October 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Should be a great one, really looking forward to it.

Why oh why did Grant Enders have to transfer from Holy Cross??? xsmhx

jmufan
October 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Channel 159 for those who have Dish.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Should be a great one, really looking forward to it.

Why oh why did Grant Enders have to transfer from Holy Cross??? xsmhx

Southern girls?

ITmonarch10
October 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Since its ODU's bye week, you can count on the Monarch Nation watching very closely.

frozennorth
October 1st, 2012, 11:13 PM
I would like to apologize to towson fans, i was too harsh after the loss to kent. they (kent) are apparently better than expected this year.

Southern girls?

are terrible

andy7171
October 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Southern girls?

Only people in New England thinks Maryland is Southern!

This weekends game against JMU is going to be very telling for Towson.

Last time Towson beat JMU, I was on the field!

Dukie95
October 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
This is a huge game for both teams. Though, JMU fans don't seem to realize it. Either they're so caught up on the ODU game, or they expect another Towson cakewalk..I dunno...

Maine was the only other ranked team to come into our expanded Bridgeforth Stadium, so this is clearly our biggest game to date in our new digs.

bluehenbillk
October 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
At first I thought JMU would take this game, possibly comfortably. Now I may be leaning Towson....

jmufan999
October 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM
At first I thought JMU would take this game, possibly comfortably. Now I may be leaning Towson....

In my opinion, this Towson team is better than last year's Maine team that beat JMU in OT. However, JMU is better now than we were 1 year ago. I expect this to be an instant classic. I don't think Towson will score more than 24 points. The question is if we can top that number on offense.

With that in mind, my predictions have been pretty bad so far this year.

BisonBacker
October 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this game. I have both in my top 25 however JMU is in my top 5 and I expect a JMU win in a tough fought battle. Will see if my placement of JMU so high is warranted. I will say that the JMU team I saw in Fargo gave us the toughest game at home in the playoffs. Best of luck to both and may the best team win.

BisonFan02
October 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
This is a big test for JMU and one I will keep a close eye on. I have JMU ranked pretty high in my poll (hopefully this game proves to confirm the placement).

DoubleH
October 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just looking at the playoff implications:
This ones big for Towson, 7 games left to get 5 wins. They have a pretty tough CAA schedule too without playing GaSt, W&M, or Richmond.

Towson already beat W&M.

JMUNJ08
October 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
This is a huge game for both teams. Though, JMU fans don't seem to realize it. Either they're so caught up on the ODU game, or they expect another Towson cakewalk..I dunno...

Maine was the only other ranked team to come into our expanded Bridgeforth Stadium, so this is clearly our biggest game to date in our new digs.

Had this game on my radar but we didnt have Towson on the schedule last year (blessing in disguise). So the casual JMU fan has never seen a good Towson team before in person. Will be rocking my purple and gold in NYC JMU bar viewing party!

Mr. C
October 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
In my opinion, this could be the CAA championship game. Glad my first game at the new JMU digs will be a memorable one.

jmufan999
October 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
In my opinion, this could be the CAA championship game. Glad my first game at the new JMU digs will be a memorable one.

You couldn't have picked a worse game as far as a rowdy gameday atmosphere. It will be quieter than usual, probably a late arriving crowd. Typical for Parents' Weekend.

The ODU game will provide a much better atmosphere for a variety of reasons. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your visit and the game.

MTfan4life
October 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM

Towson has a very brutal schedule. Aside from this game it includes: @New Hampshire, @Delaware, @Villanova, and Old Dominion at home. They will need a very impressive slate of wins for us to be able to look back to this game as the conference title game.

Dukie95
October 3rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Towson has a very brutal schedule. Aside from this game it includes: @New Hampshire, @Delaware, @Villanova, and Old Dominion at home. They will need a very impressive slate of wins for us to be able to look back to this game as the conference title game.

Indeed, Towson is dangerously close to being in "must win" territory every week after having already lost two FBS games. They have an incredibly difficult road ahead just to reach 7 wins. I think they can do it, but it's not going to be easy. Even if you give them all their home games (including ODU), they must also win two out of that ridiculously tough road schedule.

Eaglegus2
October 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
I would like to apologize to towson fans, i was too harsh after the loss to kent. they (kent) are apparently better than expected this year.

are terrible

You must prefer those girls who wear wool panties. Come to Georgia to see the prettiest Southern Belles around. BTW, I have dated women from the North. Big difference but they are all built the same. Besides, southern girls know football and Nascar better than their northern counterparts.

jmufan999
October 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
bump. way too big a game for the 2nd page.

andy7171
October 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Any JMU fans want to make an avatar bet?

TSU86
October 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Surprisingly, TU is, all of a sudden, etting after the QB. Great prssure in the LSU game.
We've got to stop dropping passes, and stop making these horrible mistakes on special teams.

I will be chilling at the beach this weekend, but will watch Sunday night. (I'll be very careful about what webistes I visit prior to watching, so everything is a surprise)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 4th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Any JMU fans want to make an avatar bet?

Not me. I love my Dukes, and I believe they are going to be ready for Saturday, but Towson is too good to make bets. Not my style, but maybe you'll find another JMU fan willing. Can't make a bet on a game I can't see either, and since I'll be on a plane it'll have to wait until we meet again in the playoffs.

Dukie95
October 4th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I'd do it, but my 3 posts a year here would be wasted on an avatar bet.

jmufan999
October 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Surprisingly, TU is, all of a sudden, etting after the QB. Great prssure in the LSU game.

Does "all of a sudden" mean 2012? Because you have 3, 3, 3, and 4 sacks in your games (respectively).

Beltre vs. our backup LT (has yet to be named since the starter will not play) is a tough matchup for JMU, especially if we get behind early. Our LT will probably need some help from a TE or HB. May need to chip him on the way out in pass patterns. Or it's possible that he may simply need to be double teamed the entire game.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 5th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Something interesting about Towson D vs. JMU O is the styles. Will the spread option have an effect on the tenacity Towson'd D line has shown? If the D over-pursues on a given play, they may be seeing a JMU player running downfield away from them. On the other hand, they may stack the box and turn JMU into a one-dimensional team with containment. That's what URI tried to do and failed miserably, but Towson is a much better team than URI. I think JMU's D will contain Towson's O, giving up some points, but not getting throttled or anything. The game will be won/lost more on how well JMU's Offense handles Towson's Defense. If JMU scores 24+ points, they should be able to hold on for the win as I don't see Towson scoring more than 24.

And as always, turnovers will change any storyline.

Cleets
October 5th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Only people in New England thinks Maryland is Southern!

This weekends game against JMU is going to be very telling for Towson.

Last time Towson beat JMU, I was on the field!

It's weird isn't it...
I've lived in both Baltimore and in Boston - and it's true, Bostonian's think Maryland is southern..?
I heard that many times up there

andy7171
October 5th, 2012, 07:44 AM
It's weird isn't it...
I've lived in both Baltimore and in Boston - and it's true, Bostonian's think Maryland is southern..?
I heard that many times up there

...and people in the South think we're in the North.

andy7171
October 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Does "all of a sudden" mean 2012? Because you have 3, 3, 3, and 4 sacks in your games (respectively).

Beltre vs. our backup LT (has yet to be named since the starter will not play) is a tough matchup for JMU, especially if we get behind early. Our LT will probably need some help from a TE or HB. May need to chip him on the way out in pass patterns. Or it's possible that he may simply need to be double teamed the entire game.

Yeah we've gotten sacks, but the pressure on the QB hasn't really been there until the two few weeks, and strangely was most prominent against LSU.

TSU86
October 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I didnt have the sack stats, but it seemed as though we had more pressure vs LSU than any other game

jmufan999
October 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah we've gotten sacks, but the pressure on the QB hasn't really been there until the two few weeks, and strangely was most prominent against LSU.

I'm not trying to harp on this, I'm just curious: what kind of pressure would you prefer over a sack? You're 8th in the country in sacks, I'd say that QB pressure is one of the last concerns you should have.

If I were a Towson fan, I might be more worried about turnover margin, where you're at -6 (112th in FCS). JMU isn't much better, though, at -3 (87th). That could be a huge storyline for the game tomorrow.

andy7171
October 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm not trying to harp on this, I'm just curious: what kind of pressure would you prefer over a sack? You're 8th in the country in sacks, I'd say that QB pressure is one of the last concerns you should have.

If I were a Towson fan, I might be more worried about turnover margin, where you're at -6 (112th in FCS). JMU isn't much better, though, at -3 (87th). That could be a huge storyline for the game tomorrow.

Take away the 6 turnovers in the first game and we're pretty even.

As far as pressure, I'm talking hurries and hits on QB. Prior to LSU that aspect was really showing up. It seemed like our sacks would take longer to actually develop, which credits the secondary more than the pass rush. If that makes any sence.

jmufan999
October 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Take away the 6 turnovers in the first game and we're pretty even.

As far as pressure, I'm talking hurries and hits on QB. Prior to LSU that aspect was really showing up. It seemed like our sacks would take longer to actually develop, which credits the secondary more than the pass rush. If that makes any sence.

Gotcha, that makes sense.