PDA

View Full Version : 1964

Apphole
October 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
In 1964... (courtesy of T-Dog's write up)

-The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution is approved, which led the way for US involvement in Vietnam.
-Khrushchev is ousted a premier of the USSR; Kosygin and Brezhnev come to power.
-China detonates their first atomic bomb.
-The Warren Report is released, saying Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in killing Kennedy.
-US Supreme Court rules that Congressional districts should be roughly equal in population instead of land area, removing an obstacle used by local governments in the South to keep black leaders from being elected.
-A first class stamp is 5 cents.
-The US population is 191 million.
-Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life in prison
-The Beatles appear on American TV for the first time and thus Beatlemania was born.
-”The Barbra Streisand Album” won the Grammy for Best Album.
-The Surgeon General affirmed that cigarette smoking causes cancer.
-Dr Martin Luther King Jr won the Nobel Peace Prize.
-A gallon of regular unleaded is 30 cents.
-Lyndon Johnson defeated Barry Goldwater in the presidential electoral vote 486-52. Goldwater carried the Deep South and Arizona.
-A new house cost an average of $20,500.
-Inflation is 1.2%
-Jerry Moore is an assistant coach at Coriscana High School in Texas. Next year he begins his collegiate-coaching career at SMU.
-xconfusedxxholyxElon beat App at football!!!!xlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehxxnodxxthum bsupx

darell1976
October 1st, 2012, 09:55 AM

What I wouldn't give to have this come true today!!

RadioFan
October 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM
December 2001 gas was still under a dollar a gallon in NC

cbarrier90
October 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM
This will end well... xpopcornx

Apphole
October 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4IaIVqCAAAWic0.jpg

Go...gate
October 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Princeton, under Hall of Fame Coach Dick Colman, finishes 9-0, with 4 shutouts (last time a PU FB team has gone undefeated), wins the Ivy League but was denied the Lambert Trophy;

Colgate, coached by the very capable Hal Lahar, finishes 7-2, losing only to Princeton and Columbia.

semobison
October 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
NDSU goes 10-1 beating Western State in thre Mineral Bowl breaking a long streak of losing seasons! The Bison have only had 3 losing seasons since!

UAalum72
October 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM
What I wouldn't give to have this come true today!!
Ok, but you have to buy it with the average 1964 income of $4,576.32 (minimum wage $1.25/hr.)

AppChicago
October 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Ok, but you have to buy it with the average 1964 income of $4,576.32 (minimum wage $1.25/hr.)

And put it in a car that gets 10 mpg.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
And put it in a car that gets 10 mpg.

Unless you owned one of those higher-mileage AMC Rambler Classics that George Romney had worked hard to get on the market before becoming governor of Michigan.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
And in 1964, Mr. C's front yard was where all of the kids gathered to play neighborhood football.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM

-The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution is approved, which led the way for US involvement in Vietnam.
-Khrushchev is ousted a premier of the USSR; Kosygin and Brezhnev come to power.
-China detonates their first atomic bomb.
-The Warren Report is released, saying Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in killing Kennedy.
-US Supreme Court rules that Congressional districts should be roughly equal in population instead of land area, removing an obstacle used by local governments in the South to keep black leaders from being elected.
-A first class stamp is 5 cents.
-The US population is 191 million.
-Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life in prison
-The Beatles appear on American TV for the first time and thus Beatlemania was born.
-”The Barbra Streisand Album” won the Grammy for Best Album.
-The Surgeon General affirmed that cigarette smoking causes cancer.
-Dr Martin Luther King Jr won the Nobel Peace Prize.
-Lyndon Johnson defeated Barry Goldwater in the presidential electoral vote 486-52. Goldwater carried the Deep South and Arizona.
-A new house cost an average of $20,500.
-Inflation is 1.2%
-Jerry Moore is an assistant coach at Coriscana High School in Texas. Next year he begins his collegiate-coaching career at SMU.
-xconfusedxxholyxElon beat App at football!!!!xlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehxxnodxxthum bsupx

Beatlemania started long before the Ed Sullivan show.

eagle07
October 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Pillsbury comes out with these racist flavors of children's drinks

http://toohotforwords.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/picture-115.png

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 2nd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Ahh the good 'ol days when we just didn't take ourselves so seriously.

My family included Dumb Pollacks and Dirty Irish, but we just embraced these as motivation to succeed in life. I love the Injun - looks like the 367 lbs. freshman O-lineman for Alcorn St.

JimLU
October 2nd, 2012, 05:40 AM
Warning: this is a shaggy dog story (but its true.....)

Wow. This thread made me post for the first time in five years. In 1964 I was 13. We lived across the river from Lewisburg, Pa. Dad was a Bucknell alum and and took us to games now and then. I didn't quite understand why they didn't play Penn State anymore, but of course I became a Bucknell Bison fan and followed the Middle Atlantic conference. In 1968 I ended up at Lehigh, when their football was really bad. But 1964 was my first year as an avid Bison and Middle Atlantic League fan. And today, looking back on the '64 season as a Lehigh alum and Bison fan, its amazing what a wonderfully different football world it was then:
Oct. 3, 1964: Gettysburg 21 Delaware 19
Nov. 21 1964: Bucknell 21 Delaware 14

AshevilleApp2
October 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Beatlemania started long before the Ed Sullivan show.

xnodx And we were in Viet Nam before the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.

phoenix3
October 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Unleaded gasoline was virtually non existent. I think Mobil was the only company that sold it.

Apphole
October 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
The James Bond film Goldfinger begins its run in U.S. theaters. It becomes one of the most successful and popular Bond films ever made.

whoanellie
October 4th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Amaco
Unleaded gasoline was virtually non existent. I think Mobil was the only company that sold it.

Go...gate
October 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Warning: this is a shaggy dog story (but its true.....)

Wow. This thread made me post for the first time in five years. In 1964 I was 13. We lived across the river from Lewisburg, Pa. Dad was a Bucknell alum and and took us to games now and then. I didn't quite understand why they didn't play Penn State anymore, but of course I became a Bucknell Bison fan and followed the Middle Atlantic conference. In 1968 I ended up at Lehigh, when their football was really bad. But 1964 was my first year as an avid Bison and Middle Atlantic League fan. And today, looking back on the '64 season as a Lehigh alum and Bison fan, its amazing what a wonderfully different football world it was then:
Oct. 3, 1964: Gettysburg 21 Delaware 19
Nov. 21 1964: Bucknell 21 Delaware 14

Fathers and sons. That is how it starts so often. He carried me into my first game at old Palmer Stadium well before 1964. It was a ritual and then a tradition. He sure knew what he was doing. Thanks, Dad.

whoanellie
October 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
wasn't it around 1964 that the namesake "Kid Brewer" of old Conrad Stadium on the ASU campus was convicted & incarcerated
for bribery and influence pedaling? taking kick backs from the NC DMV could someone clarify?

ngineer
October 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
My Phillies had one of the great chokes in sport as they blew a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 games to play by losing 10 in a row. I still don't think I've recovered from that September. I was 12 at the time and devastated.

ngineer
October 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
In the 100th meeting between Lehigh and Lafayette, both schools entered "The Rivalry" with horrid records. I think both teams were 1-7...and sure enough the game ended in a 6-6 tie with teams missing their extra points!! Yet, the stadium was packed to the gills.

caribbeanhen
October 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM
And in 1964, Mr. C's front yard was where all of the kids gathered to play neighborhood football.

why dont kids play in the front yard anymore?

Mr. C
October 5th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Pillsbury comes out with these racist flavors of children's drinks

http://toohotforwords.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/picture-115.png

Those were really tasty for a kid. It was a treat when we were allowed to buy them. What other racist flavors were there? They went good with my Fritos. Anyone remember the Frito Bandito?

Mr. C
October 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM
wasn't it around 1964 that the namesake "Kid Brewer" of old Conrad Stadium on the ASU campus was convicted & incarcerated
for bribery and influence pedaling? taking kick backs from the NC DMV could someone clarify?

Little known fact is that Kidd Brewer (note the spelling of the first name) ran a campaign for governor in 1964 from ... HIS PRISON CELL.

Mr. C
October 5th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Out of curiosity, I looked up the complete list of Pillsbury Funny Face flavors. Some of the names were changed over the years.

The Pillsbury Funny Face flavors (in alphabetical order):
 Captain Black Cherry, 
Chilly Cherry Cola, 
Chinese Cherry, 
Choo Choo Cherry,
Freckle Face Strawberry, 
Goofy Grape
, Injun Orange, 
Jolly Olly Orange, 
Lefty Lemonade
, Lefty Lemon-Lime, 
Loud Mouth Lime, 
Loud Mouth Punch, 
Pistol Pink Lemonade,
 Rah-Rah Rootbeer
, Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry, 
Rudi Tutti-Frutti, 
Tart Lil' Imitation Lemonade,
 Tart 'N' Tangy Lemon
, With-It Watermelon.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2012, 01:05 AM
In 1964, the SIU Salukis won the NCAA title in Men's gymnastics.

Hammerhead
October 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Around here, we have virtually no front yards and about all we can do in the back yard is play badminton. The open areas are a few small parks/green spaces scattered around the development.

Even in the 70s, my sisters and I would ride our bikes about 1/2 mile to swimming lessons or just over a mile the for baseball/softball games. Now people would think you're crazy letting children venture that far on their own. (I think Mom really just wanted us out of the house during the summer, but that's another story.)

AppChicago
October 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM

They do in my neighborhood.

Hammerhead
October 5th, 2012, 08:48 AM
That's awesome! It looks like they became more PC later and started using choo choo cherry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujip5DxwGQw

Those were really tasty for a kid. It was a treat when we were allowed to buy them. What other racist flavors were there? They went good with my Fritos. Anyone remember the Frito Bandito?

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Mine too!!

Walkon79
October 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Wasn't 64, but a few years later my folks took me to Bozeman to see Jan Stenerud kick a then-NCAA record 59 yard field goal!!!

Mr. C
October 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM

We had a half-acre in Fresno, CA., so we had a big front yard.

Mr. C
October 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Wasn't 64, but a few years later my folks took me to Bozeman to see Jan Stenerud kick a then-NCAA record 59 yard field goal!!!
I remember Stenerud coming down to Fresno and kicking a 55-yarder against Fresno State at old, Ratcliffe Stadium (one of the world's most historic track and field stadiums — where the West Coast Relays were held and the second-most world records ever were set. A stadium in Oslo, Norway — Stenerud's home country — is No. 1).

ASU_Fanatic
October 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM
bang bang

ASU_Fanatic
October 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
my dad was born