PDA

View Full Version : Wofford- contender or pretender?

woffordgrad94
September 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM
A lot had been made of Wofford's soft early schedule, and for good reason. It has been pretty weak. A lower eschelon Big South team, a BAD D-2, and arguably the two worst teams in the SoCon. Of course the schedule is not the players' faults and they have taken care of business in these first four games in convincing fashion- which is all they could be asked to do. But it does leave some lingering doubts about the real ability of the Terriers to make a true run at a SoCon championship, a national seed in the playoffs, and hopefully a national championship. Furman is by no means an elite team at this point, but they are likely the best team we have faced thus far. And to me, though it may sound strange to say about an unbeaten team, Furman is an absolute MUST WIN for Wofford. After Furman, we have two consecutive road trips to the two toughest places to play in the conference- Paulson and Kidd-Brewer (which has been a true house of horrors for the T-Dogs). Losing to the Paladins could start Wofford on a very fast free fall as it would be hard to rebound from that on the road at those places. And winning those road games back to back is really asking a lot in any event, so we have to take care of business against a mid-tier team like Furman at home and keep our positive momentum going. Things are about to get tougher for sure and we are about to find out the answer to the thread title question.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Don't care. One game at time. We're 0-0 every week.

woffordgrad94
September 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Don't care. One game at time. We're 0-0 every week.

That is a very good strategy for the team to follow and I'm quite sure that Mike Ayers encourages them to think like that. I hope the team is concentating on Furman and only Furman right now, and I'm sure they are. But as a mere fan, I can afford to look ahead with no real harm done as I am not going to be affecting the outcome of the games. Besides, it is fun and intersting to do so and can make for some decent conversation.

Saint3333
September 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM
They are a good team, but too early to tell if this is the best WC team we've seen in awhile. Wofford should beat Furman by double digits, based upon results to date.

Playing such a weak schedule could give a team confidence or give them too much confidence.

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I'm sure not going to call them a pretender right now.

But, they need to beat some top teams (and I'm sure they probably will) before I call them a contender.

So, I'll cop out and say somewhere in the grey area between. ;)

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
We'll know a lot after Saturday. Furman is not yet back where they used to be, but they are looking better every week.

I think without a shadow of a doubt the Paladins will be the most physical team Wofford has seen in 2012. Furman outmuscled Wofford in Greenville last year, and has a potent 1-2 running back punch in Williams and McCloud that gave the Terrier defense fits last time. Forcier is gone, but Hannon has really looked a lot like his predecessor. There are many Furman fans (myself included) that believe Furman would be 4-1 right now had Hannon started against Coastal and Samford.

Frankly, Furman's great weakness through 5 weeks has been pass defense, an area Wofford does not excel in. The Paladins have shown to be pretty tough up front against the run, so I imagine a lot will ride on the Terrier quarterback to make plays out there.

dungeonjoe
September 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Way too early to tell anything meaningful. Just play the game, win, and control your own destiny.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Meh, but seriously though, we're practically the same team as last year from a personnel standpoint, the only differences that particularly standout are:

offensively
A)QB-wise, we're not as good running it, but we're definitely a better passing team. More accuracy.
B) Running back-wise, we're more athletic and deep. Definitely.
C) I personally think we're doing better blocking, but I could be wrong

Defensively
A) We are pretty deep. One of the problems we had down the stretch from last season is that (starting with the Furman game) we got pretty knicked up, particularly at linebacker, but now we go at least 2 deep across the board (somewhat thanks to that happening in the first place).
B) DL is a lot less experienced, but there is talent there as we return an all-socon performer and a true freshman is apparently impressive enough to start.

I'm not prepared to say our pass defense is suspect just yet. Right now, our defensive stats are kind of skewed because A)Gardner Webb could not run it on us so they necessarily had to pass it B) Lincoln was Lincoln, but they were an air-raid offense C) Western could only pass on us for the same reasons as GWU and D) Elon is Elon.

So really, we've forced teams to be one dimensional on us so far. The key to beating us (and Furman did it perfectly last year) is establishing a good run game and an efficient pass game. We'll let you get the short stuff all day long, but that cheap stuff gets hard to score on inside the 30s (We made Elon settle for field goals more than touchdowns). Our defense is designed to keep you in front of (it's only when that fails that it sucks-see Brian Quick).

I'm more concerned with our ability to get pressure on the QB and get sacks than I am at pass coverage, we haven't gotten a sack in a couple weeks if I'm not mistaken. But hey, if our run defense is good enough to shut down the run and force teams to pass on us after a few possessions of failures, and they as a result rack up about 200 yards passing and <100 yards rushing, I'll take that.

Saint3333
September 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Quick may have graduated, but we have a new terrier nightmare.

elon77
September 30th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Looked pretty dang good to me. Impressed with the O-line. Someone has been eating some hog jowl and collard greens. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the Socon.

woffordgrad94
September 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM
xsmileyclapx
Quick may have graduated, but we have a new terrier nightmare.

Man Saint, you're like a TV show that goes off right before revealing something important. What is the name of this "nightmare"? Speaking of "nightmare", I really love Alice Cooper. WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE! xsmileyclapx

Saint3333
September 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM
One of everyone's favorite game shows, let's just say the Price is right.

I sure hope App's D learned something about the 3O from the Citadel game, but I think App will have to score 35 to beat you guys. Got to win the next two though.

furbaloffear
September 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
xsmileyclapx

Man Saint, you're like a TV show that goes off right before revealing something important. What is the name of this "nightmare"? Speaking of "nightmare", I really love Alice Cooper. WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE! xsmileyclapx

He's talking about Sean Price :) Our RFresh BQ look a like. He's 6'5" 210 and through the 3 games he's played so far(was suspended for 2) has 26 catches for 360 yards and 5 touchdowns. He also wears the infamous #14 for APP. He's going to be "nightmare" for four more years too and has the ability to break just about every receiving record Quick set while here, as long as he continues to improve.

woffordgrad94
September 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sean Price sounds like a tough hombre for sure. I used to watch The Price Is Right all the time as a kid...I used to love to yodel along with the little mountain-climber game. But Drew Carey is NOT Bob Barker...I just don't watch much anymore.

seantaylor
October 1st, 2012, 12:25 AM
Can't tell anything about Woffie so far. The schedule thus far is all cream puffs. Won't be able to tell until the GSU game.

blueballs
October 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Contender for sure...

They'll make the playoffs, and if you make the playoffs you are a contender. The question is if they go in as an AQ which probably means seeded or as an at large which probably means no more than one home game.

As ST stated, we'll know a whole lot more after their visit to the 'boro 10/13.

Apphole
October 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Sean Price sounds like a tough hombre for sure. I used to watch The Price Is Right all the time as a kid...I used to love to yodel along with the little mountain-climber game. But Drew Carey is NOT Bob Barker...I just don't watch much anymore.

http://www.goasu.com/pics32/640/HK/HKLATUAIOHFMGTX.20120929234525.jpg
Be afraid....Be very afraid

theasushow
October 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Yes I think they will make noise in the SOCON and have a excellent chance to win it. As for making a deep run in the playoffs, I just dont see it. I think it will be much like their recent playoff appearances, where they have perhaps a first round win and then a good 2nd round showing but will ultimately come up short. Even with a top seed, they dont have the homefield advantage that a lot of the other top teams have. Furthermore, the defenses are usually very disciplined in the playoffs and the TO will meet its match.

So yes, I think they are a legitimate contender to win the SOCON, but I dont see them getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. time will tell.

AppApp
October 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
this script sounds familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptgXNaLg-0

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
This video tells you just about everything you need to know about how last year's game went for Wofford. Furman just out muscled them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7fa0986Xg4&feature=plcp

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM
this script sounds familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptgXNaLg-0

I hadn't noticed this at the time, but Furman played with three down linemen and one defensive end on his feet. Furman has some athletic defensive ends, and if I am Mike Ayers I'd bet the family farm Furman will come out with that same look this go around.

The more I watch that film, the most interested I am. Furman had been beat to death on the outside by GSU the week earlier. It looks like they had a four man front, three men down, linebackers stacked over the ends, and the middle linebacker playing well off the ball to help with angles and a head of steam to stop Britenstein. Just a bizzare defensive look, but it was certainly effective.

woffordgrad94
October 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Yep, we all know what happened last year. We came into beautiful northern Greenville riding high and you guys just punched us in the mouth. Hopefully we have learned from that experience and will be ready Saturday to make this year a lot different!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
I feel much the same about my JMU Dukes. We should take care of business and contend, but hard to say until the games are played. Injuries can stack up and wreak havoc on a team too. We have arguably our best offensive player (D. Scott) and best defensive play (T. Till) both injured but hopefully returning soon. Still, those are the things that can shift the balance. If JMU faces Wofford, and it looks like it could happen if everyone's preseason thoughts are confirmed, then it sounds like we match up well against the Terriers. You were no easy out in 2008, that's for sure!

For now, Wofford is very much a contender.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
This video tells you just about everything you need to know about how last year's game went for Wofford. Furman just out muscled them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7fa0986Xg4&feature=plcp

The term pulverized is more appropriate.

With that said, our offensive identity is much different this year and our defensive depth is much improved. It's also the first time Furman sees the option this year; if I'm not mistaken, Wofford was the third option team they played last year.

I for one don't think it will be the same game when it comes to Wofford's offense vs Furman's defense, but the key to it all will be Wofford's defense vs Furman's offense. Wofford has only allowed about 10 points defensively in the first half this year (all scored last week) and we've done a good job with getting teams off of the field early and scoring with that opportunity, going up a couple scores. That's probably a good recipe for success in any option offense, and it will have to continue if we want to be successful this year.

I think the team's mentality this week will be different as well, seeing as we are going to want some vengeance and last year's loss will be fresh on our minds.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM
The term pulverized is more appropriate.

With that said, our offensive identity is much different this year and our defensive depth is much improved. It's also the first time Furman sees the option this year; if I'm not mistaken, Wofford was the third option team they played last year.

I for one don't think it will be the same game when it comes to Wofford's offense vs Furman's defense, but the key to it all will be Wofford's defense vs Furman's offense. Wofford has only allowed about 10 points defensively in the first half this year (all scored last week) and we've done a good job with getting teams off of the field early and scoring with that opportunity, going up a couple scores. That's probably a good recipe for success in any option offense, and it will have to continue if we want to be successful this year.

I think the team's mentality this week will be different as well, seeing as we are going to want some vengeance and last year's loss will be fresh on our minds.

Definitely. I think Wofford will score some points. The interesting matchup for the Wofford defense is that they will finally face a physical running team. Elon has some talent, but have never been confused with a physical football team, relying a lot more on finesse.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Definitely. I think Wofford will score some points. The interesting matchup for the Wofford defense is that they will finally face a physical running team. Elon has some talent, but have never been confused with a physical football team, relying a lot more on finesse.

quite frankly the only team we've played that would try to consider itself physical is Gardner Webb, and they are Big South physical, not SoCon physical.

BisonFan02
October 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wofford is a contender in the SoCon...could do some damage in the postseason, but that is where I will slow my roll for now.

cbarrier90
October 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Wofford is a contender in the SoCon...could do some damage in the postseason...

Definitely, they just have to remember to kneel the ball in the endzone this time around...

CID1990
October 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think if Ayers fully briefs his players on what constitutes a touchback on a kickoff, they will go far this season.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Definitely, they just have to remember to kneel the ball in the endzone this time around...

Hmm I should have read the whole thread first.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hmm I should have read the whole thread first.

If you didn't speak before thinking, how would we know that you went to the Citadel?

CID1990
October 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
If you didn't speak before thinking, how would we know that you went to the Citadel?

Because of my 11" cock and obvious superiority to all things Traveler's Rest.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM

I think if Ayers fully briefs his players on what constitutes a touchback on a kickoff, they will go far this season.

I can actually laugh at this smack talk.