PDA

View Full Version : Link to Interesting Post on ASU

Josh
May 29th, 2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.tribalgrounds.com/belt/forum_entry.php?id=7296&page=0&category=all&order=time

arkstfan
May 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Unless my insiders are leading me down bum trail, WKU isn't even remotely close to having the votes to get in the MAC, if they deliver on their previous assurances they'll be I-A in the Belt by 2008.

I also hear no interest in expansion unless La.Tech is able to get out of the WAC without breaking the bank.

Sun Belt folks seem ready to hold where they are and watch and wait for what happens when Big East 16 has years together.

Lapper
May 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Have fun in the Sun Belt App! Tell UL-Lafayette hey for me. :rolleyes:

Josh
May 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Have fun in the Sun Belt App! Tell UL-Lafayette hey for me. :rolleyes:

ASU is not going I don't think. ASU is going to either form a new league or get in Conference USA I would think. Some Sun Belt schools could possibly join the new league. I have heard ASU might be out of I-AA within 7 years from now based on the plans of the new AD.

That is just a rumor. I still don't believe it until it happens but I do think ASU will go to I-A when all is said and done now that they have people with visions in there.

Mr C what would you do if ASU left? Continue to cover I-AA or cover ASU for the Observer? By continuing to cover ASU I guess you would cover the league they join?

BlackSaturday
May 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I'm going to go out on the limb and say ASU is still in the SoCon in 2015.

thirdgendin
May 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
ASU is not going I don't think. ASU is going to either form a new league or get in Conference USA I would think. Some Sun Belt schools could possibly join the new league. I have heard ASU might be out of I-AA within 7 years from now based on the plans of the new AD.

That is just a rumor. I still don't believe it until it happens but I do think ASU will go to I-A when all is said and done now that they have people with visions in there.

Mr C what would you do if ASU left? Continue to cover I-AA or cover ASU for the Observer? By continuing to cover ASU I guess you would cover the league they join?

Conference USA?!??!?!!?!??!?!

catamount man
May 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Forgive me App.State fans, but what in the world is the fascination so much with going I-A?! Sunbelt or C-USA, your travel expenses are gonna increase substantially, all this while there is constant talk of a new stadium for you guys as well. Do you have a reserve of money hidden in the hills of Boone that nobody knows about? You are a well respected I-AA team in a well respected I-AA conference. You should be proud of that. I hope WCU never goes I-A, as I love the SoCon and the I-AA experience. If that makes me shallow and narrow-minded, so be it. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Josh
May 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Forgive me App.State fans, but what in the world is the fascination so much with going I-A?! Sunbelt or C-USA, your travel expenses are gonna increase substantially, all this while there is constant talk of a new stadium for you guys as well. Do you have a reserve of money hidden in the hills of Boone that nobody knows about? You are a well respected I-AA team in a well respected I-AA conference. You should be proud of that. I hope WCU never goes I-A, as I love the SoCon and the I-AA experience. If that makes me shallow and narrow-minded, so be it. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I think the fans think that since the big money is in I-A that they will get a piece of the pie. I only think they should go if the money is there.

They will go as soon as it is, if it ever does, and I could see them trying to make the move in 2012 or so but I am curious to see where the AD stands when he takes the job. He knows what it takes to be I-A.

I will say this. The SoCon is considered by ASU and their alumni to not be nearly as good as it was. So they want out for that reason too. ASU is apauled at Wofford and Elon in the league and never thought Wofford would ever beat them.

I will say this, if they stay Coastal Carolina will beat them as well and do it within 3 years in the conference.

catamount man
May 30th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I have no problem with Elon being in the league, as we needed someone to replace VMI and quick. Wofford? Well, they've beaten WCU all but one year since they joined, so I can't complain about them other than the fact that they beat us in football pretty regularly. I'm not high on CCU joining, and I still think that there are major roadblocks that have to be overcome on their part to get them in the SoCon. Don't take this as smack, but could it be the fact that Wofford has performed better than App.State the last 3 years in the SoCon football standings, is the main reason for the disdain towards them from ASU fans and alumni. No smack intended, and yes, we're 2-18 against you guys the last 20 years(before anyone else brings it up!) but I think most of the "I-A talk" is from fans who think the Mountaineers are still in 1995-2000 form, and sadly(for you all), that's not the case. Again, no smack, but I just can't fathom you guys making serious waves in I-A, and believe me, I don't think WCU could either. Peace. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
May 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Hmm. Actually App beat Wofford last season and had the same league record (6-2)..just App actually played decent outside competition, something Woffie NEVER does.
Same for 2002 (6-2) except Wofford did beat the Apps by a TD. Prior to 2002, Woff was 0-5 vs the Apps in SoCon play. Still just 6-2 since joining. I don't think there is a whole lot of jealousy toward Wofford from App's perspective. It would be nice if they6 would actually bring a dozen fans to Boone, however.

I agree about not making serious waves in I-A although the SunBelt would definitely not be too much above App's head.

asufan87
May 30th, 2005, 09:11 PM
ASU's primary focus needs to be on fund raising and improving its facilities. It's going to take some time to fix things after 15+ years of inept management (notice I didn't use the word "leadership"). The very first thing to be fixed is the attitude and outlook for the athletic program as a whole. That process has already started with Laney's resignation. ASU's fan base has largely been a house divided for at least the past decade due to the alienation of supporters created by the prior athletic administration. With Dr. Peacock's energy and positive outlook for ASU, and new blood in the form of Charlie Cobb, I believe ASU fans can finally get on board and all move in the same direction for the first time in a long while. I get the sense that we're about to see a very profound change in the way ASU athletics operates and in the way alumni and supporters respond to that change.

I don't think there's hard plan for I-A right now. However, if fund raising and facility improvements are realized and a I-A opportunity is presented that makes sense, Dr Peacock would be crazy not to consider it.

SoCon48
May 31st, 2005, 02:53 AM
I'm still curious to know what the huge surge in Yosef membership has amounted to with Laney's resignation compared to a typical year?

Tribe4SF
May 31st, 2005, 05:58 AM

What is Yosef?

Also, am I correct that ASU only has two QBs on its roster? Do they have any coming in?

SoCon48
May 31st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Richie Williams
Trey Elder
Roy Bracey

Eric Eisner was moved from QB to WR

Signed Zac Amedro from Wheeling, WVa 60% his senior yr, 2,930 yds 33 TD's.

Yosef was coined by Charlotte students in the '60's. Means "Yourself"

It's the alumni booster club for ASU.

Tribe4SF
May 31st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Who is Bracey? I don't find him on the Spring roster.

Amedro looks like a good recruit. I see now that they picked him up after signing day.

SoCon48
May 31st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Bracey? You're right. He was on the first Spring roster at #18. 6' 185# So Austin TX Cedar Park

Not on last Spring roster.