PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross @ Harvard

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Only FCS game of the night.

This one usually draws 20,000+ as so many alums of both schools live in the area, but the weather may deter some from heading to the game.

As for the game itself, I think HC will be able to keep it relatively close. Their defense has been pretty solid all year. But the offense, down to quarterback #3 in just the fourth game of the season, that's a different story.

Harvard 24 - Holy Cross 10

Sader87, you going to be around these parts tonight?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Technical issues with the video for tonight. Time to call over to the smarter kids at MIT to help them out with it?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Oh, by the way, Harvard is up 7-0. That didn't take too long.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM
7-3 now in favor of Harvard. HC had a 65 yard pass play to the Harvard 12, but the drive stalled there.

HC kicker, John MaComber, could be the best kicker in the PL this year. Very well may be the best HC player too.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Play action fake and Harvard goes right over the top for a touchdown. They run the ball so effectively, that the play action becomes a real asset. 14-3 Harvard.

RichH2
September 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Good luck 11 , a tough foe tonight.

bonarae
September 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
This game is going to be ugly... too many long pass plays. 14-3 Harvard, 8:37 1st quarter.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
This game is going to be ugly... too many long pass plays. 14-3 Harvard, 8:37 1st quarter.

Agreed. Run, run, play action pass right over the top. Harvard runs the ball just so effectively, the play action pass becomes that much more difficult to defend.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
HC punting from near midfield, and Harvard blocks the punt and returns it for a touchdown. And that, folks, is the ballgame. 21-3 midway through the 1st quarter. Ugly.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Any stream available?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Any stream available?

Yes, but it'll cost you: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/harvard.portal#

bonarae
September 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Any stream available?

I have audio here, and it's free. www.whrb.org (http://www.whrb.org)

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I have audio here, and it's free. www.whrb.org (http://www.whrb.org)

Thanks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Wow, this is worse than I would have though.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
This Harvard team is really, really good. Big offensive line, good running back, solid enough quarterback.

Even still, HC always plays Harvard tough (and has won three of the last five), but I didn't think this would happen.

Wouldn't surprised me if they ran the table.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
This Harvard team is really, really good. Big offensive line, good running back, solid enough quarterback.

Even still, HC always plays Harvard tough (and has won three of the last five), but I didn't think this would happen.

Wouldn't surprised me if they ran the table.

I can't see anyone in the IL beating them. Maybe Cornell if they play a perfect game. I really wish Lehigh still played Harvard.

crusader11
End of 1: Harvard 21 - Holy Cross 3

Johnnies about to put some more points on the board, too.

Bogus Megapardus
It seems that Tim Murphy is not about to "Frankosaur," even with a comfortable lead. He's going for broke.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Harvard scores on a pass play on the first play of the 2nd quarter. 28-3 now. Wowza.

Hard to believe that Holy Cross beat this Harvard team last season.

Sam
September 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
28 to3 Holy Cross is getting spanked. Looks like no defense?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Treavor Scales has got to be one of the better RBs in FCS football.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Another Crimson TD.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
And you can put another one on the board for the Crimson. Another passing TD for Colton Chapple.

9-13, 153 yards, and 4 touchdowns....and there is still 10+ minutes left in the 1st half.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Treavor Scales has got to be one of the better RBs in FCS football.

He's unbelievably good. What can Gilmore do at this point? Can the Crusaders do anything tonight that will stop Scales?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Harvard averaging a touchdown every four minutes.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Can the Crusaders do anything tonight that will stop Scales?

And Colton Chapple. And the Harvard offensive line. And the Harvard defense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
And you can put another one on the board for the Crimson. Another passing TD for Colton Chapple.

9-13, 153 yards, and 4 touchdowns....and there is still 10+ minutes left in the 1st half.

Has HC quit? Harvard might be darn good but still, the Crusaders could play ND tomorrow and I doubt it would be this ugly.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/9813/coltonq.jpg

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Has HC quit? Harvard might be darn good but still, the Crusaders could play ND tomorrow and I doubt it would be this ugly.

Very little life. After Harvard blocked an HC punt and returned it for a touchdown, HC has been lifeless. Bad, bad, bad.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Crimson are just rolling over the Purple Teletubbies. C'mon you guys, this is getting to be somewhat embarrassing.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
ANOTHER Crimson TD.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
42-3. Chapple with five total touchdowns (4 passing, 1 rushing). HC seems to have packed it in, and that is shameful.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
HC isn't much this season, but Harvard is showing that they are a legitimate Top 25 team. They should be in many people's polls come Monday.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
49-3. No commentary on this touchdown.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I dare not look at CROSSPORTS. There's going to be a revolt. And the Patriot League will be put to blame for everything. xblehx

Sam
September 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
It is not easy a few injuries like Colgate suffered last year sets the team back get the moral down and that is it? Looks like Holy Cross has one of the worst first half 49 to 3 .

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mercifully, the half comes to an end: Harvard 49 - Holy Cross 3

I haven't seen a beat down like this since The Cross went down to Goodman Stadium in 2007 xlolx

Sorry Lehigh fans, just trying to make myself feel a bit better.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I dare not look at CROSSPORTS.

It is a bloodbath. Some are saying how excited they are for basketball to begin. Yup, it is THAT bad.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Mercifully, the half comes to an end: Harvard 49 - Holy Cross 3

I haven't seen a beat down like this since The Cross went down to Goodman Stadium in 2007 xlolx

Sorry Lehigh fans, just trying to make myself feel a bit better.

and HC hasn't seen a beat down like this since they visited Goodman in '99....

Seriously though, this is beyond ugly....

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
crusader11 - I'm listening to, but not watching, the game. Is Tim Murphy trying to run up the score? Or is it that HC just can't seem to stop anything tonight? Where are the holes in the defense? Can Gilmore do anything to fix it in the second half? No way it can go on like this.

I'm going to an HC avatar for the rest of the game in a show of support. C'mon Crusaders!

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Cantabs going to a sophomore QB in the second half?

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
crusader11 - I'm listening to, but not watching, the game. Is Tim Murphy trying to run up the score? Or is it that HC just can't seem to stop anything tonight? Where are the holes in the defense? Can Gilmore do anything to fix it in the second half? No way it can go on like this.

Thanks for the support with the HC helmet!

As for running up the score. Well, if Murphy wanted to, he could name what the final score is. Harvard was still passing the ball late in the second quarter, but it's hard to tell if Murphy is trying to run it up.

Honestly, it looks like HC quit after Harvard blocked an HC punt and returned it for a touchdown. The holes are everywhere in the defense, and Harvard is in the backfield on every HC offensive play.

If HC has ANY pride, we will find out on the first drive or two here in the 3rd quarter.

Harvard is really, really good though. I'd be surprised if they lost this year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Wow! A first down for the Crusaders!

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Harvard's recalcitrance about the FCS playoffs really is astounding.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 07:41 PM
OK - according to Harvard Radio, Crimson scrubs are in across the board. Shameless radio guys are talking about "the 100 point mark."

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Harvard kicks a FG, 52-3....

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
HC isn't much this season, but Harvard is showing that they are a legitimate Top 25 team. They should be in many people's polls come Monday.

Have them as my #25 team... they are going top 20 now. Yikes. I know HC is bad, but Harvard is solid.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the support with the HC helmet!

As for running up the score. Well, if Murphy wanted to, he could name what the final score is. Harvard was still passing the ball late in the second quarter, but it's hard to tell if Murphy is trying to run it up.

Honestly, it looks like HC quit after Harvard blocked an HC punt and returned it for a touchdown. The holes are everywhere in the defense, and Harvard is in the backfield on every HC offensive play.

If HC has ANY pride, we will find out on the first drive or two here in the 3rd quarter.

Harvard is really, really good though. I'd be surprised if they lost this year.

Now you know how we Lafayette fans felt the past two years... we quit two years in a row in the Harvard game.

UNHFan
September 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wow!! I didnt see this coming!

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Wow!! I didnt see this coming!

Seriously... even I picked Harvard 42-10 in my weekly pick 'em, but I thought it would be over 4 quarters, not halftime.

Grizo406
September 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I hope it isn't déjà vu, but for a brief second, I thought I was reading the Griz vs EWU game thread...xprayx

carney2
September 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Have the 'saders given up football?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Hard to say, but I think that Harvard really is that good. The Crimson unquestionably are a top 20 team.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Fortunately, they hired Tom Gilmore and he revived the program.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Fumbled snap? This can't be real.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Harvard Radio guys are mouthing the "hundred point game" stuff again. Crowing about how the Johnnies beat Wesleyan 110-0 in 1887. Couple of jackwipes, I say.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I give credit to Tim Murphy. He could have made this a whole lot worse if he wanted to.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Well, I remind everyone that Holy Cross beat Harvard 41-0 in 1986. And HC beat Harvard last year. Things change, and they'll continue to change.

Well done, Harvard. Crossers? Get set for the Buckies at home next week.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Will the Holy Cross JV squad do any better vs. the Harvard JV in Worcester this Sunday?

Fordham
September 28th, 2012, 08:46 PM
yikes! This is exactly what you're afraid of after you lose a few close ones. I view it in many ways as the anti-LC season. You never know when a team starts winning those close games and builds its confidence and then heads into the meat of the schedule. Converse seems to be true in this case. Very damaging loss mentally for the Crusaders. Reminds me of the Army game last year for us. They were much, much better than us but we just quit.

Good luck HC

RichH2
September 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Wow. Total domination. A true *sskicking. Murphy showed class by clearing the bench. Cross will bounce back but a very embarrassing showing. Cantabs surely got a spot in the top 25.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Boy, I didn't think it would be THIS bad. Feel bad for my purple friends today.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have no doubt that the Crossers will win some league games. Plus, they still have Wagner before heading to Georgetown at the end of the schedule. Until then, it's Bucknell - Colgate - Lafayette - Fordham - Lehigh for the Crusaders. Forget about tonight's game. Holy Cross still can beat any of these teams down the stretch. No doubt that one or more of us in that group is going to get picked off by Gilmore & Co.

crusader11
September 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I think (hope) you're right, Bogie.

Right now, we are 0-4, but 0-0 in the all important PL standings.

Tonight was just a very discouraging, disconcerting, and embarrassing game. I have never seen a performance like this in a Tom Gilmore coached team. Even the bad HC teams in his first two years competed better than this.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Nice win, but we have to prepare for Cornell. Matthews will test our secondary, and Cornelll usually plays us tough. They had a long win streak against us from about the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

Go Green
September 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Nice win.

Yeah. Only three times in the last 40 years has an Ivy team approached that type of beating against HC.

2012 Harvard.

1994 Penn.

1992 Dartmouth.

We know how the latter two ended up in the Ivy race....

bonarae
September 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Nice win, but we have to prepare for Cornell. Matthews will test our secondary, and Cornelll usually plays us tough. They had a long win streak against us from about the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

Hmm... Cornell will likely be the runner-up in the Ivy football race this year, and with Penn having a down year, they will be the only roadblock to us having a repeat Ivy championship.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Cornell will win the Ivy this year. If I had a reputation, I'd stake it.

Fordham
September 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I hope so. I was impressed with them and it's always good to point at a school you beat as champs of another league

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cornell will win the Ivy this year. If I had a reputation, I'd stake it.

They'll have to beat us next week to have any hope of that happening.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Colgate 1-3, Cross 0-4. Patriot League still to play, and anything can happen. Crusaders will be tough.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 11:47 PM
They'll have to beat us next week to have any hope of that happening.

No doubt. I think that it will be one of the best Ivy games in recent memory. I didn't really count on Scales and Chapple having half the night off, though . . .

Mr. C
September 28th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hmm... Cornell will likely be the runner-up in the Ivy football race this year, and with Penn having a down year, they will be the only roadblock to us having a repeat Ivy championship.

I wouldn't count Penn out too soon. The Quakers are playing a challenging non-conference slate, but they won't face anyone as tough in the Ivy League. I still think its going to be a three-horse race between Harvard, Cornell and Penn that should go down to the final two weekends, with Harvard and Penn meeting and then Harvard playing Yale and Cornell hosting Penn on the final Saturday.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Colgate 1-3, Cross 0-4. Patriot League still to play, and anything can happen. Crusaders will be tough.

And are the Silly Little Pards causing some hand wringing, fellas? xcoolx

Seriously, yes - both Colgate and Holy Cross will make a mark in league play. It always happens and it always will.