PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern Students Vote Yes

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
...for fees funding Stadium expansion and FBS.

Fees must be approved by the Board of Regents.

$25 fee per semester to expand Paulson Stadium to end when fully funded. (Construction likely to begin following 2012 season)

$75 fee per semester to support reclassification to FBS IF an invitation is received

$10 fee per semester for some environmental whako "sustainability" project.

http://news.georgiasouthern.edu/vote/

Laker
September 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Ok- you will get an invitation. Maybe more than one. Where is the best bet where you will end up?

SpiritCymbal
September 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ok- you will get an invitation. Maybe more than one. Where is the best bet where you will end up?

Sun Belt would be my guess. Fits the footprint, Benson has already been clear that he wants to bring the conference to 12 football members, etc...

One thing to note though too is that even though the students approved the fee's, they still have to be approved by the Georgia Board of Regents. This doesn't automatically mean that the fee's will be instituted. This is just the first step in the process.

blueballs
September 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM

The SunBelt has Troy, MTSU, WKU, FAU, FIU, Ga St, South Ala in the eastern division... that would seem to make the most sense. The only other one that would seem to be a reasonable alternative would be CUSA.

What I hope doesn't happen is what UCF did... be an independent for several years, then join the MAC- which they had absolutely NOTHING in common with- for one year, then pay the MAC an exit fee to go to CUSA.

There's been some rumors about the WAC on the GSU boards... IMO that would be really stupid if they went that route.

Of course, the ideal scenario IMO would have several FCS schools moving in tandem and forming their own league... like GSU, App, Jax St, Ga St, UNCC, JMU, UD, etc.etc.etc.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm being told Regents approval is a rubber stamp when a student vote is involved.

Ditto to SC's Sunbelt projection. It's the Conference that makes sense on so many levels, especially if App St also joins.

I think the 2013 off season will give us more shuffling to clear a spot somewhere.

Laker
September 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Sun Belt would be my guess. Fits the footprint, Benson has already been clear that he wants to bring the conference to 12 football members, etc...

One thing to note though too is that even though the students approved the fee's, they still have to be approved by the Georgia Board of Regents. This doesn't automatically mean that the fee's will be instituted. This is just the first step in the process.

The SunBelt has Troy, MTSU, WKU, FAU, FIU, Ga St, South Ala in the eastern division... that would seem to make the most sense. The only other one that would seem to be a reasonable alternative would be CUSA.

What I hope doesn't happen is what UCF did... be an independent for several years, then join the MAC- which they had absolutely NOTHING in common with- for one year, then pay the MAC an exit fee to go to CUSA.

There's been some rumors about the WAC on the GSU boards... IMO that would be really stupid if they went that route.

Of course, the ideal scenario IMO would have several FCS schools moving in tandem and forming their own league... like GSU, App, Jax St, Ga St, UNCC, JMU, UD, etc.etc.etc.

I'm not sure, but I'm being told Regents approval is a rubber stamp when a student vote is involved.

Ditto to SC's Sunbelt projection. It's the Conference that makes sense on so many levels, especially if App St also joins.

I think the 2013 off season will give us more shuffling to clear a spot somewhere.

Thanks for the info, guys. This stuff always interests me.

GATA_Eagles
September 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Great day to be an Eagle!

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Proud to be an Eagle! And one of those that made it possible! Biggest thing for the university since becoming a university, IMO. It's a great day for all of Eagle Nation! And I get to meet AP todayxthumbsupx

EKU-n-GSU
September 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm just glad this vote thing is over. Maybe now the NCAA will release the GSU logo to a company that can manufacture big and tall licensed logo apparel. ;)

Apphole
September 28th, 2012, 12:44 PM
...for fees funding Stadium expansion and FBS.

Fees must be approved by the Board of Regents.

$25 fee per semester to expand Paulson Stadium to end when fully funded. (Construction likely to begin following 2012 season)

$75 fee per semester to support reclassification to FBS IF an invitation is received

$10 fee per semester for some environmental whako "sustainability" project.

http://news.georgiasouthern.edu/vote/

Nice.

Well now that you all are finally getting your **** together, maybe we can make the long overdue Sunbelt move together. That is, unless Cobb has an appointment to masturbate to a C-USA logo that day...

ThompsonThe
September 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
If East Carolina leaves C-USA, the conference wouldn't be nearly as appealing. At least the Sun Belt has a couple of wins over SEC schools this year. C-USA only won one game against OOC this past weekend, and it will be getting worse the next few years with new schools they will eventually be bringing into the conference.

Baldy
September 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
If East Carolina leaves C-USA, the conference wouldn't be nearly as appealing. At least the Sun Belt has a couple of wins over SEC schools this year. C-USA only won one game against OOC this past weekend, and it will be getting worse the next few years with new schools they will eventually be bringing into the conference.
Never thought I wold say this, but it looks as though the Sun Belt has left C-USA in the dust...for at least this year anyway.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A35dWc4CMAAdWmm.jpg:large

Apphole
September 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Never thought I wold say this, but it looks as though the Sun Belt has left C-USA in the dust...for at least this year anyway.

With the additions of App and GaSo, it will seal the hierarchy and place the SBC over CUSA. Not that we will be dominant right away, but we will both be forces in the conference in a relatively short period of time compared to start-up nuco- JuCo scrubs like Gay State and UNCC.

dbackjon
September 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM
You do realize that Georgia State is in the Sunbelt??

GATA_GSU
September 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm glad the vote passed! All of the opposition I heard around from people and the articles in the George-Anne led me to believe there was strong opposition. Hopefully we get an invitation soon. In a perfect world, if we joined the Sun Belt along with App State, we'd have two "rivals" (App and the other GSU) right off the bat -- that'd be great. After the anoucement thing on campus I saw Dr. Keel (the university's president) leaving the dining hall and talked to him for a few seconds. He says we still have a long way to go, but he's very excited about the years to come.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
You do realize that Georgia State is in the Sunbelt??

They will replace Western Carolina on our schedule nicely.

GATA_Eagles
September 28th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just did some quick Twitter searching and this came up:

LandThieves ‏@LandThieves
Calling it Sunbelt will be a 12 team league by 2015 with Georgia Southern & Appalachian State being 11 & 12

It's from the owners of one of the Oklahoma boards

gataeagles06
September 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Just did some quick Twitter searching and this came up:

It's from the owners of one of the Oklahoma boards

That'd be nice! I know it's wishful thinking right now, but could y'all picture a GSU/APP St game as the ESPN Thursday night game in a few years? The possibility of us being on ESPN before the playoffs is one of the most exciting things about this whole vote passage.

citdog
September 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
That'd be nice! I know it's wishful thinking right now, but could y'all picture a GSU/APP St game as the ESPN Thursday night game in a few years? The possibility of us being on ESPN before the playoffs is one of the most exciting things about this whole vote passage.

why? when people ask you where you went to school you'll still have to answer......"pigs ***, ga"

my GOD even Boone is more cosmopolitan than that gnat infested, malodorous, section of the peach State. south ga clayeating trash every one.......excepting bluenuts, baldy, and gringer.

also cliff

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM
why? when people ask you where you went to school you'll still have to answer......"pigs ***, ga"

my GOD even Boone is more cosmopolitan than that gnat infested, malodorous, section of the peach State. south ga clayeating trash every one.......excepting bluenuts, baldy, and gringer.

also cliff

That's uncalled for... the gnats are well trained allies who only bite non-eagles

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Eaglesrus
September 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm just glad this vote thing is over. Maybe now the NCAA will release the GSU logo to a company that can manufacture big and tall licensed logo apparel. ;)

I'm glad its over, too! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow E-n-G. Feed that young-un well tonight and tomorrow.

49RFootballNow
September 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats Eagles! If nothing else Paulson will get a great upgrade.

Apphole
September 28th, 2012, 05:35 PM
That's uncalled for... the gnats are well trained allies who only bite non-eagles

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah. Just grow a mullet and breath through your mouth and they won't bother you.

LakesBison
September 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
If GSU goes fbs NDSU UNI Montana Appy St might as well go too

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah. Just grow a mullet and breath through your mouth and they won't bother you.

Not very experienced with gnats are you?

GSUsTALON
September 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM

my GOD even Boone is more cosmopolitan than that gnat infested, malodorous, section of the peach State. south ga clayeating trash every one.......excepting bluenuts, baldy, and gringer. also cliff

citdog
TRUE FACT
I will say that I wish the FCS National Championship was held in Charleston. It would be a great venue.

That said I bet the Klan would be in their brightest bleached robes with hoods optional. Wouldn't want to get ketchup, mustered, slaw and relish stains on those hoods by trying to stuff a fully loaded hotdog through that mouth slit.

ncguitarplyr
September 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Congrats to GSU for making the right vote. At worst this will help you to continue to compete well in the FCS.

And although I don't want to piss on your parade, but I seem to remember another FCS power expanding their stadium and having their Board of Trustees vote to pursue FBS and still not get the invite. It's scary how little these FBS conferences care about performance on the field, stadium size, and willingness to move. But I'm actually hoping this makes a potential App State/GSU package deal to the Sun Belt look more appealing. It will happen eventually, the question is will it be next year or 5 years from now.

GSUsTALON
September 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Congrats to GSU for making the right vote. At worst this will help you to continue to compete well in the FCS.

And although I don't want to piss on your parade, but I seem to remember another FCS power expanding their stadium and having their Board of Trustees vote to pursue FBS and still not get the invite. It's scary how little these FBS conferences care about performance on the field, stadium size, and willingness to move. But I'm actually hoping this makes a potential App State/GSU package deal to the Sun Belt look more appealing. It will happen eventually, the question is will it be next year or 5 years from now.

Well wether GSU go FBS or not the stadium needed to be expanded to keep up with the overflow & the better FCS schools.

dgtw
September 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Not trying to start trouble, but would Georgia State try to block Georgia Southern from getting into the Sun Belt?

TheEagleWay
September 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
If GSU goes fbs Appy St might as well go too

FIFY

TheEagleWay
September 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Not trying to start trouble, but would Georgia State try to block Georgia Southern from getting into the Sun Belt?

Watching Georgia State play football, its obvious they can't block anyone.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 28th, 2012, 11:21 PM

I lol'd! But yeah, seriously, can Ga State try and "block" us from going FBS when we clearly have the better program, better tradition, etc.
Need I go on? Ga State, IMO, can't do jack, you know what, to keep us from going as we are clearly more deserving to move to FBS than a 3 year program, who fails to win, fails to consistently draw crowds and all around sucks. Honestly if we played Ga. State in "Da DOMEEEEE!" we would fill more seats than Ga State fans 10/10 times.

Blue Eagle
September 29th, 2012, 04:35 AM
With the additions of App and GaSo, it will seal the hierarchy and place the SBC over CUSA. Not that we will be dominant right away, but we will both be forces in the conference in a relatively short period of time compared to start-up nuco- JuCo scrubs like Gay State and UNCC.xthumbsupx

I love "agreeing" with App State fans almost as much as I love "hating" them on the day we play!!

"1 day of hate" "364 days of respect" A Great Rivalry!!

With Ga Southern & App State the Sunbelt will become very interesting indeed!!

ERK WOULD BE PROUD TODAY!!!

GO EAGLES "JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Blue Eagle
September 29th, 2012, 05:00 AM

also cliff

Speaking of infested...being a citadel fan must be really embarrassing with not 1 not 2 but 3 and how many more instances of "unwanted love" between male graduates & boys or between upclass males & what do you call them male "knobs"!!

I am not sure I would be making insults if I were a citadel fan!!

"Just Saying"

CID1990
September 29th, 2012, 07:22 AM

ddiiiiinnnnngggggg

McLeansvilleAppFan
September 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM

ESPN on Thursday is not appealing to me personally. As much as high schools hate college games on TV, I can live with seeing App on a Friday, though I prefer Saturday games TV or no TV.

Wednesday should be Pee Wee/Middle School
Thursday for High School JV
Friday if High School Varsity
Saturday for College
Sunday for pro leagues

Monday, to heck with football that day.

Eaglesrus
September 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
ESPN on Thursday is not appealing to me personally. As much as high schools hate college games on TV, I can live with seeing App on a Friday, though I prefer Saturday games TV or no TV.

Wednesday should be Pee Wee/Middle School
Thursday for High School JV
Friday if High School Varsity
Saturday for College
Sunday for pro leagues

Monday, to heck with football that day.

Here's another Eagle agreeing with a Mountaineer, strange days indeed.

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Here's another Eagle agreeing with a Mountaineer, strange days indeed.

Dogs and cats, sleeping together! Mass hysteria!

Well done, GSU!