PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion to play Conference USA football schedule in 2014

ODU Oldtimer
September 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Just got the news that an agreement from the CUSA AD meeting in Dallas other members have agreed to help ODU so they can have a full slate of CUSA members for 2014.
C-USA athletic directors unanimously agreed while meeting in Dallas earlier this week to include ODU in the schedule even though the Monarchs don’t begin playing conference football until 2015.

Selig said ODU will play eight C-USA teams, including four at home and four away. Selig said the schedule is likely to include games with schools geographically closest to ODU, including ECU, Southern Mississippi, Marshall, Alabama-Birmingham and Florida International. The Monarchs already have a 2014 road game scheduled with UNC Charlotte, which joins C-USA in 2015.

VA Pilot reporting: http://hamptonroads.com/pilot/sports/odu-football

http://hamptonraods.com/pilot/sports/odu-football

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Selig said ODU will play eight C-USA teams, including four at home and four away. Selig said the schedule is likely to include games with schools geographically closest to ODU, including ECU, Southern Mississippi, Marshall, Alabama-Birmingham and Florida International.

I don't need to add anything here.

Tuscon
September 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Yet somehow you found the time. How nice.

State Line Liquors
September 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
If you're headed to Hattiesburg, make sure to stop in Pascagoula. Terrific seafood. Only about an an hour and forty-five from USM.

superman7515
September 27th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Jimmy Buffet can't be wrong.

JMUNJ08
September 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Geography wise, seems like there is a spot for JMU but who am I kidding...

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
No program has come further in such a short time.

State Line Liquors
September 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM
What's the 2013 schedule looking like?

MR. CHICKEN
September 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM
16899....AS OF AUG. 17TH.....ONLY CONTRACTED ODU GAME...IS WITH UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE...9/21/[email protected]...&...9/6/[email protected] CHARLOTTE.....AWK!

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012-08-17/sports/dp-spt-odu-fb-skeds-20120817_1_fcs-odu-conference-usa

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
When are they no longer FCS playoff eligible?

MR. CHICKEN
September 27th, 2012, 09:00 PM
When are they no longer FCS playoff eligible?

16901...OL' DIMMY...INCREASES SKOLLIES TA 74 IN 2013....AN' UP TA 85...IN 2014........NO PLAY-OFFS AFTER THIS SEASON.....ALSO.....THEY WILL HAVE A MIX O' FCS/FBS GAMES IN 2013....HEAVIER FBS LOAD...IN...2014......AWK!

dgtw
September 27th, 2012, 09:07 PM
When you come to Birmingham for the UAB game, be sure to yell "Roll Tide" at the 15 UAB fans. It will really piss them off.

ODU Oldtimer
September 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM
This will be our last FCS playoff season!

The 2013 season both Coach BW and our AD Wood Selig have set a goal to schedule 6 FCS (likely Home games), 6 FBS most likely on the road.

There have been talks with a few ACC Schools, UMASS, and working on others...no contracts signed.

There have been rumors of a few names on the 2013 schedule that might include a West Coast trip. We have only locked in 2 schools for 2013 (GA State and Norfolk State).

The news today was terrific. All of our future conference members have unanimously voted to incorporate ODU into the CUSA Schedule, one year early. ODU has been banned from all CAA Championships and Titles this year. So it was announced earlier this month that 4 of our sports will compete in CUSA this year!

We will be FBS Bowl eligible 2015.

Thank you all for the kind words. I must say we have been very blessed at ODU with an administration and fan base that all seem to want to get on the fast track to a very rewarding future. I know it will not always be smooth, and the next few years will have both great highs and our share of disappointment. But I feel all and all it has been a great ride for the last 4 years and I think it will only get better. Aim High!

Go Monarchs

dgtw
September 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Will the 2014 games count in the conference schedule or will they officially be nonconference games for everybody?

Skjellyfetti
September 28th, 2012, 12:02 AM
When you come to Birmingham for the UAB game, be sure to yell "Roll Tide" at the 15 UAB fans. It will really piss them off.

15 UAB fans? Really?

I mean, UAB doesn't have the greatest support...but, they average 28k a game. That's more than ANY FCS school and the only on par is App State.

Forgive me if I remember incorrectly... but, I believe you are a Bryant supporter. Your school averages 3,000 fans. 3,000. Why do you think you can pooh pooh 28k? xconfusedx xlolx

dgtw
September 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM
They do not average 28,000 a game. They drew that their first home game this year, but it was boosted by the fact they were playing Troy, which brought a lot of fans. They'll probably get around 20,000 this week for Tulsa. Last year, their attendance was in the mid 10,000s, but have a new coach this year which has boosted interest somewhat. although the city of Birmingham buys 5,000 season tickets and gives them away, so that helps.

Why do you think I have some ties to Bryant? I live in Alabama and pull for the University of Alabama (once coached by a man named Bryant) and Jax State.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM
ODU has a great thing going. I think the cherry on top is Taylor Heinicke. When he graduates, there might be Chad Pennington type drop in on-field success and it will be interesting to see how ODU nation responds.

klak
September 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
This will be our last FCS playoff season!

The 2013 season both Coach BW and our AD Wood Selig have set a goal to schedule 6 FCS (likely Home games), 6 FBS most likely on the road.

There have been talks with a few ACC Schools, UMASS, and working on others...no contracts signed.

There have been rumors of a few names on the 2013 schedule that might include a West Coast trip. We have only locked in 2 schools for 2013 (GA State and Norfolk State).

The news today was terrific. All of our future conference members have unanimously voted to incorporate ODU into the CUSA Schedule, one year early. ODU has been banned from all CAA Championships and Titles this year. So it was announced earlier this month that 4 of our sports will compete in CUSA this year!

We will be FBS Bowl eligible 2015.

Thank you all for the kind words. I must say we have been very blessed at ODU with an administration and fan base that all seem to want to get on the fast track to a very rewarding future. I know it will not always be smooth, and the next few years will have both great highs and our share of disappointment. But I feel all and all it has been a great ride for the last 4 years and I think it will only get better. Aim High!

Go Monarchs

Start up posters take note: THIS is how you talk up your program without sounding like a tool.

MplsBison
September 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/118/004966_3.jpg

ODU Oldtimer
September 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I have be told that this will be OOC for the other CUSA teams and ODU will be considered as an Independent in 2014

No full membership in CUSA till 2015

Go Monarchs............Aim High