PDA

View Full Version : ND to drop Michigan: anyone think App will get a call?

whoanellie
September 25th, 2012, 11:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8423552/notre-dame-fighting-irish-opts-series-michigan-wolverines

first move in the new ACC alliance

theasushow
September 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM
? we have already scheduled them.

Laker
September 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Some people think of Notre Dame's biggest rival as USC, but it is Michigan. They made it very clear that ND was the one that wanted to end the series. Right now there is a lot of smoke being blown because the Irish are unbeaten- but if you look at their schedule it is too tough to go unbeaten. I wonder if eventually they will move football into the ACC. But they think that Kelly will bring them back to the glory days.

My question is: will App State move up to the FBS?

I know that Michigan really wants their revenge.

asumike83
September 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I think the answer to that is yes, the bigger question is when?

In 2014, Michigan will have their shot at revenge and Appalachian will likely still be an FCS program or possibly in a transition year.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Goodbye Ann Arbor, hello Winston-Salem.

Moral of conference realignments: be careful what you wish for...

biggie
September 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Ah yes, cause Winston Salem sucks...

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I think the answer to that is yes, the bigger question is when?

In 2014, Michigan will have their shot at revenge and Appalachian will likely still be an FCS program or possibly in a transition year.

Knock Knock?

Only kidding!

Sader87
September 25th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Kind of surprised they've only played 40 times:

http://collegefootball.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=collegefootball&cdn=sports&tm=5&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

They didn't play one another from 1944 through 1977...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Oh yeah. This is gonna end well.

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2012, 12:16 PM

I do not understand how App randomly gets pulled into a conversation, that would otherwise have no bearing on FCS football, from a game that is now 5 years old.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM

And here's your friendly reminder that this thread was started by none other than Nellie...

bluehenbillk
September 25th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Is App even relevant anymore? I thought I read last week on here about the "Death of a Dynasty".

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
He must have been talking about a different team, cause the only App Dynasty I know of ended in either 08 or 09.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM
He must have been talking about a different team, cause the only App Dynasty I know of ended in either 08 or 09.

The loss at GSU in '10 officially ended it in my book. Ended the conference win streak and began GSU's run that eventually led them to end the conference championship streak in '11.

Prior to that 2nd half comeback, GSU was just another SoCon team in rebuilding mode down 14-0 to ASU.

Apphole
September 25th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Can a dynasty ever really end?

SpeedkingATL
September 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM
"ND to drop Michigan; do you think App will get a call?"

I would be surprised if ND wants to make the trip to Boone.:)

ASUG8
September 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM
In a word, no. Michigan will play their starters the entire game in '14 attempting to beat us 70-3.

And we'll still be 1-1 with the winningest FBS program in the country.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I think this will be a short term hiatus. These two have taken breaks throughout the series so this isn't a huge surprise.

I do agree that Michigan is ND's biggest rival. I'm a a life long ND fan and I work forward to the UM game the most.

asumike83
September 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
In a word, no. Michigan will play their starters the entire game in '14 attempting to beat us 70-3.

And we'll still be 1-1 with the winningest FBS program in the country.

They will be ready for us next time around and will not hold any punches even if they build a big lead. That being said, I'd be surprised if the game was THAT lopsided. Much like in 2007, we will go into that game with a veteran group at nearly every position except QB. The difference, of course, is that the QB will not be named Armanti Edwards!

344Johnson
September 25th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Some people think of Notre Dame's biggest rival as USC, but it is Michigan. .

As a Notre Dame fan, I say the USC game is the biggest. ND has been dominated the past decade or so, but that can happen when your program is in a rut and the other guys are enjoying a great time. When Notre Dame beat SC a couple years ago, that was the happiest I've ever been in my time being an Irish fan.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Kind of surprised they've only played 40 times:

http://collegefootball.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=collegefootball&cdn=sports&tm=5&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

They didn't play one another from 1944 through 1977...

Don't forget that the anti-Catholic Fielding Yost was involved with Michigan for many years, even after he retired from coaching football, and he held a lot of sway in keeping Michigan from playing ND (and keeping ND out of the Big Ten) It took Moose Krause and Bo Schembechler to finally get the embargo out of the way in the early 1970's, with the series finally being resumed in 1978.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I think ND will come to regret this move. It was one of the best college football matchups each year no matter what the records. I would have dropped Stanford in a heartbeat - not a traditional ND rival at all.

OSUPenguin
September 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Michigan is not Notre Dame's biggest rival. ND has a longer history and rivalry with Purdue (84 games) and Michigan State (76 games) rather than Michigan (40 games). Which is obviously given that Michigan was the first B1G team to be cut from ND's schedule.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Michigan is not Notre Dame's biggest rival. ND has a longer history and rivalry with Purdue (84 games) and Michigan State (76 games) rather than Michigan (40 games). Which is obviously given that Michigan was the first B1G team to be cut from ND's schedule.

Agree. Most Domers will tell you that MSU, Purdue, USC and Navy are the historical fixtures on the sked. Michigan, though a great game the last 35 years, is not as entrenched over ND's football history, largely because of Yost (and later Harry Kipke's) embargo of the Irish. Way back before WW II, Army and USC were the biggest games.

ASU_Fanatic
September 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM
michigan will slaughter us in 2014. i'm not even going this time, the first time was too perfect i'm not going to ruin anything.

ASU_Fanatic
September 25th, 2012, 07:42 PM
oh and anyone who says usc isn't notre dame's biggest rival is wrong

Go...gate
September 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM
oh and anyone who says usc isn't notre dame's biggest rival is wrong

Of course. Oldest intersectional rivalry in College Football.

SpeedkingATL
September 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
michigan will slaughter us in 2014. i'm not even going this time, the first time was too perfect i'm not going to ruin anything.

I will make the trip again as I think the Apps will need all the help they can get in this one. Nothing can spoil the first trip.

ASUMountaineer
September 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM

I'll be there as I have ties up there. In fact, I'm heading up there tomorrow for a wedding. I was at the first game, and ATL is correct--nothing can spoil that experience.