PDA

View Full Version : How's UMass' move to FBS working out for them?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Judge for yourself.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1061162363&position=0

The Minutemen lost their fourth straight game, 27-16, to Miami (Ohio) on a blustery day in front of a crowd of 15,159 at Yager Stadium. It was UMass’ first game in Mid-American Conference play.

After being outscored, 145-19, in the first three games against UConn, Indiana and Michigan, UMass stayed within reach of the RedHawks. That only made the outcome tougher to digest.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/2012/09/06/umass-football-move-loaded-with-financial-risks/6QxE869C33xr10SiKPKzIK/story.html

The journey to Foxborough, by far the longest commute to a home game in American college sports, will signal a turning point in the 130-year history of UMass football — a test of whether relocating the school’s home games to an NFL stadium nearly 100 miles away and investing millions of dollars to try to catapult the state’s flagship university into the gilded realm of big-time college football is visionary management or a misguided gamble.

The fact is, no one foresees a financial bonanza anytime soon. Amid the turbulent currents of major college football, UMass leaders have crafted a blueprint for the upgrade that aims to limit the risks of a potential failure but offers little promise of a significant payoff through at least 2020, according to a Globe review.

UMass football has long relied heavily on school funding. Nearly two-thirds of the team’s budget this year — $4.2 million of the $6.5 million total — will be derived from institutional support, including student fees and a direct subsidy.

Yet little is expected to change, at least for many years. The university’s plan for the upgrade forecasts no reduction in the football subsidy until 2016, when it would drop by only $3,000. After that, the school plans to incrementally cut its football investment each year until 2020, when it would decline by $475,000 — still a nominal amount considering the total football budget is projected to top $9.3 million by then.

Attendance for their home opener against Indiana, their first as an FBS school? A bit over 16,000 in their cavernous stadium. The attendance at an FCS game at Liberty this weekend? 17,000. Will it improve after an 0-4 start?

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Liberty is in a bit better position and their institution is unique. The people at UMass are buffoons... we here knew this was failure from the start. NFL stadium 100 miles away?!

Get real.

asumike83
September 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think their mistake was going FBS but relocating their home games 100 miles from campus. That is crazy. Taking your lumps in season one as an FBS member is expected but that makes it very hard to get any support from the students.

PAllen
September 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Actually, I would say it's working out quite nicely for them. Highlights (or lowlights as it may be) were shown prominently of each of their first three games on ESPN and other outlets around DC. Sure they were highlighting the other team most of the time, but UMass football now gets coverage as far south as DC. Can't say that's ever happened with a Minuteman football team before.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Actually, I would say it's working out quite nicely for them. Highlights (or lowlights as it may be) were shown prominently of each of their first three games on ESPN and other outlets around DC. Sure they were highlighting the other team most of the time, but UMass football now gets coverage as far south as DC. Can't say that's ever happened with a Minuteman football team before.

Bingo.

LFN has no clue. He lets his emotions get in the way of logic and reason.

frozennorth
September 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Bingo.

and you are ignoring the fact that the play awful football

The Eagle's Cliff
September 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM

And FBS critics are ignoring the fact that football quality is irrelevant.

A school can be a nationally known "lower tier" FBS school or an obscure, "never-heard-of" school that plays in "Division II" (which is what the ignorant public thinks of FCS)

This is not "fair" to FCS schools, but it is the reality.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

GannonFan
September 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM
All of it depends on who UMass is able to get to come play them in Foxboro. If they start amassing a pretty decent schedule, people will show up in much better numbers. Heck, the 15k they got to see them play Indiana is about 10k more than they got last year to see them play anyone. The Big East falling apart has certainly impacted their plans, but don't underestimate the impact of an NFL stadium to use. If nova had one they'd be in the ACC right now.

Gringer1
September 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I don't think their mistake was going FBS but relocating their home games 100 miles from campus. That is crazy. Taking your lumps in season one as an FBS member is expected but that makes it very hard to get any support from the students.

Seriously. Why would they play all the way across the state when they already have a pretty nice place on campus?

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/umas/galleries/facilities/g-mcguirk.jpg

Why didn't they just do their own expansion plan? This would have been really nice.

http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/UMass-Stadium-rendering-from-90s.jpg

DSUrocks07
September 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
So 4 games into a season and UMass in the MAC is an "failure"? Really?

All of a sudden they are terrible?

I agree with Gringer, they should invest in upgrading their on-campus stadium and use Foxboro only for playing major BCS powers, not for conference games.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
A little early to judge. And if I-A is so bad, what was the last school to voluntarily move to I-AA?

downbythebeach
September 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM
isn't there a UMASS boston, couldn't they just move the team there.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Seriously. Why would they play all the way across the state when they already have a pretty nice place on campus?

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/umas/galleries/facilities/g-mcguirk.jpg

Why didn't they just do their own expansion plan? This would have been really nice.

http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/UMass-Stadium-rendering-from-90s.jpg

I'm guessing they thought it would be better perception to play in the nicer stadium and be closer to the population center of the state.

The on-campus upgrade would be great, but that takes money and time - both of which UMass did not have for this season. I doubt the long term plan is to always play all home games at Gillette.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM
All of it depends on who UMass is able to get to come play them in Foxboro. If they start amassing a pretty decent schedule, people will show up in much better numbers. Heck, the 15k they got to see them play Indiana is about 10k more than they got last year to see them play anyone. The Big East falling apart has certainly impacted their plans, but don't underestimate the impact of an NFL stadium to use. If nova had one they'd be in the ACC right now.

And they may ultimately get Nova's spot in Big East football because of it!

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Yes, I am. What is your point?

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
It's simply beyond me as to why people are not capable of comprehending the *FACT* that division level has nothing to do with how well the team plays!!!

dgreco
September 25th, 2012, 11:07 AM
WKU was horrible at first and now they are getting Top 25 votes.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
And they may ultimately get Nova's spot in Big East football because of it!

Wow, what a prize!

downbythebeach
September 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUN8f6PsM2Q
^ there home opener
the issue isnt really moving to fbs, the biggest issue is playing at foxborough instead of on campus

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Wow, what a prize!

LFN's philosophy: if you can't be in the Big Ten, then you should be DIII.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Simple, they couldn't afford the renovations in Amherst.

They are playing in Foxboro for FREE! The Krafts are taking the financial risk and benefit.

I don't know if this was a good or bad idea, but 4 weeks is certainly too soon to make sweeping judgement calls.

PAllen
September 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Sorry, had to hold back a snort on that one. I haven't been there since 1998, but the place was an outdated dump then, can't imagine it's gotten much better since.

Gringer1
September 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sorry, had to hold back a snort on that one. I haven't been there since 1998, but the place was an outdated dump then, can't imagine it's gotten much better since.

I meant "nice" as in fairly large and easily expanded. I know it would be much more expensive, but an expanded and refurbished place on campus would do wonders for their pride and attendance. Making students ride a bus for an hour and half to get to home games is a sure way to hobble you fan base.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I meant "nice" as in fairly large and easily expanded. I know it would be much more expensive, but an expanded and refurbished place on campus would do wonders for their pride and attendance. Making students ride a bus for an hour and half to get to home games is a sure way to hobble you fan base.

I'm sure that was option #1, but they just didn't have the millions of dollars in capital to invest in a new stadium (and traffic/road improvements).

So instead of building a new house on land they own, they are renting. It's a new, modern house well below market costs that opens them up to a larger metro market, it just happens to be a horrible commute from campus. It was a trade-off/risk they were willing to take to join FBS.

IMO the UMass situation right now is not ideal, but they had to put one foot in the pool if they had any hope of a future C-USA or Big East invite. Let us see where they stand in the national landscape after 4 years, instead of just 4 games.

Mr. C
September 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Bingo.

Our resident troll saying that someone has no clue about something. LFN should wear that as a badge of honor.

Sader87
September 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
This (playing Gillette) was actually done more for UMass' alumni moreso than the current students. There are far more alums living within an hour's drive of Foxborough than Amherst and as ace pointed out, the Krafts got them a sweetheart deal in doing so.

Much too early to assess....fairly certain the long term plan is to expand McGuirk and play the occasional game (ND, BC etc) at Gillette.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Simple, they couldn't afford the renovations in Amherst.

And playing games in Foxborough in front of 16,000 spectators will allow them to afford these renovations in Amherst.... how?

Even in the rosiest of scenarios, the Globe has outlined that the Minutemen will be hemorrhaging money over the next six years, through the increased budget. And that's even with Kraft acting out of the kindness of his heart and allowing UMass to play in Foxborough for free.

Their big unveiling in the FBS world, something that should have been a major media and attendance event, couldn't outdraw a Liberty, Montana, or App State home game. This means a lot more than people here are realizing.

I'm really failing to see how UMass is going to create "buzz" and money over the next six years to make this work. Even if they get invited to a Pitt and Syracuse-less Big East it will be dicey, IMO.

thebin
September 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Wow, what a prize!

Yes it is actually. Should be worth anywhere from $10-15 million bucks a year once the BE is able to negotiate with CBS, NBC, etc at the end of October. The current state of BE football may not excite you, but importantly it does excite the executives of multiple national TV networks that are desperate to get college sports programming in the massive markets covered in the BE. No other league is going up for auction for a LONG time.

Sader87
September 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
There are a lot of factors in this ...UConn envy for one.

I agree it won't be easy...UMass has nearly always been "out of sight, out of mind" in the Boston media market (competition with pro teams as well as BC which is sort of the de facto FBS team of Massachusetts)....I think they agreed to this (Foxborough) to start to change that perception.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
The plan is to expand McGuirk Stadium over the next 4-6 years and play larger games in Foxboro--a sound strategy and one with a Big East invite in mind down the road. If UMass can make inroads in the Boston market and BC continues to atrophy in the ACC, it could be a very successful plan.

blukeys
September 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Our resident troll saying that someone has no clue about something. LFN should wear that as a badge of honor.

ditto with reppies.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 12:50 PM
There are a lot of factors in this ...UConn envy for one.

I agree it won't be easy...UMass has nearly always been "out of sight, out of mind" in the Boston media market (competition with pro teams as well as BC which is sort of the de facto FBS team of Massachusetts)....I think they agreed to this (Foxborough) to start to change that perception.

Can you blame the Boston media market?

I-AA is small potatoes. The minor leagues. Why should they waste their time covering it or the state schools that play at those lower levels?

Now UMass is stepping up the plate and trying to get noticed. Good for them!

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 12:52 PM
And playing games in Foxborough in front of 16,000 spectators will allow them to afford these renovations in Amherst.... how?

Even in the rosiest of scenarios, the Globe has outlined that the Minutemen will be hemorrhaging money over the next six years, through the increased budget. And that's even with Kraft acting out of the kindness of his heart and allowing UMass to play in Foxborough for free.

Their big unveiling in the FBS world, something that should have been a major media and attendance event, couldn't outdraw a Liberty, Montana, or App State home game. This means a lot more than people here are realizing.

I'm really failing to see how UMass is going to create "buzz" and money over the next six years to make this work. Even if they get invited to a Pitt and Syracuse-less Big East it will be dicey, IMO.

Just the grumbling of a bitter, old man - who hates every team that leaves I-AA in search of greener pastures and wants them to fail.

I think it's time for you to give up your shtick. It's stale.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm sure that was option #1, but they just didn't have the millions of dollars in capital to invest in a new stadium (and traffic/road improvements).

So instead of building a new house on land they own, they are renting. It's a new, modern house well below market costs that opens them up to a larger metro market, it just happens to be a horrible commute from campus. It was a trade-off/risk they were willing to take to join FBS.

IMO the UMass situation right now is not ideal, but they had to put one foot in the pool if they had any hope of a future C-USA or Big East invite. Let us see where they stand in the national landscape after 4 years, instead of just 4 games.

Ace is right on this from a current perspective.

Here is the deal; the report for UMASS's move required expanding of the roads by campus just to get legal egress. The entire cost of upgrading the program, with the football facility, with the stadium expansion, and with the road widening and assorted infrastructure was in the 'hood of $200mm...most of which was roads/expansion.

THE STATE WILL NOT GIVE THEM A DIME TOWARDS THIS...AND I DONT EXPECT THAT TO CHANGE.

UMASS is in a really, really tough situation right now b/c of the stadium issue. They need to figure out how to expand McGuirk and get ARRA monies for the roads....and quick!

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM
This (playing Gillette) was actually done more for UMass' alumni moreso than the current students. There are far more alums living within an hour's drive of Foxborough than Amherst and as ace pointed out, the Krafts got them a sweetheart deal in doing so.

Much too early to assess....fairly certain the long term plan is to expand McGuirk and play the occasional game (ND, BC etc) at Gillette.

Pretty much spot on. Alumni = Cash = Don't have to ask the Commonwealth for the full nut.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
The plan is to expand McGuirk Stadium over the next 4-6 years and play larger games in Foxboro--a sound strategy and one with a Big East invite in mind down the road. If UMass can make inroads in the Boston market and BC continues to atrophy in the ACC, it could be a very successful plan.

The plan yes; the money...is the issue. They better get a sugar daddy, quick.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Suppose the Big East doesn't invite UMass, Kraft decides to close his wallet (since he's losing money), and the state doesn't plump for a single dime for the McGuirk improvements - a completely plausible scenario. What happens?

danefan
September 25th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Suppose the Big East doesn't invite UMass, Kraft decides to close his wallet (since he's losing money), and the state doesn't plump for a single dime for the McGuirk improvements - a completely plausible scenario. What happens?

They become Buffalo.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
They become Buffalo.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

Somewhere, I have that SCATHING Deloitte (I think it was Deloitte) report on UB Athletics / Football and how it was WOEFULLY unprepared financially and infrastructure-wise for the move.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM

'Aint that the truth-- about 100k+ per game to staff that place.

grayghost06
September 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Ace is right on this from a current perspective.

Here is the deal; the report for UMASS's move required expanding of the roads by campus just to get legal egress. The entire cost of upgrading the program, with the football facility, with the stadium expansion, and with the road widening and assorted infrastructure was in the 'hood of $200mm...most of which was roads/expansion.

THE STATE WILL NOT GIVE THEM A DIME TOWARDS THIS...AND I DONT EXPECT THAT TO CHANGE.

UMASS is in a really, really tough situation right now b/c of the stadium issue. They need to figure out how to expand McGuirk and get ARRA monies for the roads....and quick!

Ironically, they want to align w/ UConn, but I doubt UConn has the same feelings. No different than other aspiring FBS schools, mine included. The difference between ideal and reality is a fine line- see ECU as an example.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hey, I can play this game, too!

How's Boise State's move to FBS working out so far?

blukeys
September 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM

And how has it worked out for Marshall, ULA monroe, Troy State, Southern Florida, Central Florida, the entire MAAC, Conference USA etc.

Actually give us a success story without a dozen failures. Take your weak *** argument and go home with your tail between your legs. By the way Boise is still frozen out of the game that matters.

crusader11
September 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM
And how has it worked out for Marshall, ULA monroe, Troy State, Southern Florida, Central Florida, the entire MAAC, Conference USA etc.

Actually give us a success story without a dozen failures. Take your weak *** argument and go home with your tail between your legs. By the way Boise is still frozen out of the game that matters.

Pretty well for Marshall, USF, UCF, several teams in the MAC (the MAAC doesn't play football) and C-USA.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
'Aint that the truth-- about 100k+ per game to staff that place.

Yes, but the Krafts do get the cash flow from concessions and a portion of the tickets. I don't think the Krafts are losing tons of money yet, and I think there are other ways they are balancing the books in Foxboro. This isn't a charity, Kraft and the PAts are getting something out of this deal or they wouldn't have offered it.

The bigger point most of seem to agree on is that this is a temporary solution for UMass. The hope is big donor money comes in, or a real upgrade in conference membership. That wasn't happening where they were, and the odds may have increased only slightly with this move.

The bottom line is that the State can't foot the bill for any of this, so UMass is just being creative within their current siuation. Again, I don't think it is an awful move, because the worst that happens is in 5 years they return to Amherst and become Buffalo. The upside is with conference changes, they have a shot to go C-USA or even Big East (unlikely). In any case they are losing money on football now, just like they were in the CAA.

They want to reduce their financial losses and affilate at the FBS level with UConn, BC, etc. even if they are stuck in the MAC. We really have to wait a few years to see how good or bad a decision this was.

Cat79
September 25th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ironically, they want to align w/ UConn, but I doubt UConn has the same feelings. No different than other aspiring FBS schools, mine included. The difference between ideal and reality is a fine line- see ECU as an example.

UMASS is going to be ok, My Texas State Bobcats are 2-1 in our first season. We have wins over Houston and SFA with a loss at home in front of 33,006 fans to Texas Tech

Nevada is coming to our place next:D

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM

South Florida was once ranked #2 in the polls before choking. Central Florida was able to build a 45000 seat on-campus facility to get them out of the Citrus Bowl. Monroe just beat #8 Arkansas and nearly beat Auburn. They are the darlings of the 2012 football season. ECU in Conference USA has arguably the best football gameday experience in the entire state of NC, and this is a state with 4 FBS schools and plenty more FCS-ers including Appalachian.

None of this would be possible at the FCS level.

By the way, Boise has easily generated 1000x the brand power and money for their football program and athletic department as a whole then we FCS-ers could ever dream of as a result of their triumphs at the FBS level. But go ahead and say that they haven't done anything worthwhile. Appalachian was able to generate that national spark after the Michigan victory, but that time is long gone. At best, a powerhouse FCS program generates great brand recognition regionally, but not much anywhere else (see ASU 2005, 2006)

My point is that I can cherry-pick cases just as well as LFN does. He has his opinion and I have mine, so let's present both sides of the argument.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
UMASS is going to be ok, My Texas State Bobcats are 2-1 in our first season. We have wins over Houston and SFA with a loss at home in front of 33,006 fans to Texas Tech

Nevada is coming to our place next:D

CLEARLY Texas State is crushed about leaving the SLC...

Cat79
September 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM
CLEARLY Texas State is crushed about leaving the SLC...

Our old rival SFA was close to upsetting us last weekend but Texas State held on for the win.

crusader11
September 25th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Louisiana Monroe has played Arkansas, Auburn, and Baylor this year and they've scored 15 touchdowns while giving up 14. Impressive, despite the 1-2 mark.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM
South Florida was once ranked #2 in the polls before choking. Central Florida was able to build a 45000 seat on-campus facility to get them out of the Citrus Bowl. Monroe just beat #8 Arkansas and nearly beat Auburn. They are the darlings of the 2012 football season. ECU in Conference USA has arguably the best football gameday experience in the entire state of NC, and this is a state with 4 FBS schools and plenty more FCS-ers including Appalachian.

None of this would be possible at the FCS level.

Oh, sure. It's impossible to become a national darling at the FCS level and beat a BCS-level team. Please do me a favor and ask your head coach how impossible that is.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, but the Krafts do get the cash flow from concessions and a portion of the tickets. I don't think the Krafts are losing tons of money yet, and I think there are other ways they are balancing the books in Foxboro. This isn't a charity, Kraft and the PAts are getting something out of this deal or they wouldn't have offered it.

The bigger point most of seem to agree on is that this is a temporary solution for UMass. The hope is big donor money comes in, or a real upgrade in conference membership. That wasn't happening where they were, and the odds may have increased only slightly with this move.

The bottom line is that the State can't foot the bill for any of this, so UMass is just being creative within their current siuation. Again, I don't think it is an awful move, because the worst that happens is in 5 years they return to Amherst and become Buffalo. The upside is with conference changes, they have a shot to go C-USA or even Big East (unlikely). In any case they are losing money on football now, just like they were in the CAA.

They want to reduce their financial losses and affilate at the FBS level with UConn, BC, etc. even if they are stuck in the MAC. We really have to wait a few years to see how good or bad a decision this was.

Not disputing most of what you're saying, but they are losing way, way, way more with football now than they ever were in the CAA.

ccd494
September 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Plus all those fans are going to eat or shop before the game at Kraft's little mall there, and pay for parking, etc.

Why do you think that idiot persists in killing soccer in New England by keeping the Revs in Foxborough and putting zero effort into getting them into the city? And the answer isn't that he's a sanctimonious asshole (although he is).

Tim James
September 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM
You need to ignore any UMass story from the Globe since they are pretty biased against them. Any UMass supporter will tell you that. As for the Boston media, they are a lost cause and dont expect them to give UMass much publicity. They are too baseball/Red Sox obsessed.

LakesBison
September 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I would trade spots with U Mass any day. cuz guess what, NDSU would actually win those games.

U mass doesnt have a winning tradition.

danefan
September 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I would trade spots with U Mass any day. cuz guess what, NDSU would actually win those games.

They have the same number of FCS National Championships as NDSU......

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM

They were a pretty darn good FCS program. Two title appearances with one championship in the last 15 years. Outside of Lehigh, they were the only FCS program to make the playoffs in every decade.

danefan
September 25th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I think it's a little early to judge UMass's move. Give them a few recruiting cycles and seasons to fundraise.

Seawolf97
September 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I think it's a little early to judge UMass's move. Give them a few recruiting cycles and seasons to fundraise.

True instead of four games maybe 3 or 4 years to build up to that level.Then see where they stand.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Oh, sure. It's impossible to become a national darling at the FCS level and beat a BCS-level team. Please do me a favor and ask your head coach how impossible that is.

Yeah, those 66-13 beatings from Virginia Tech are really adding to the lore...

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
UMass isn't the first, not the last Northeastern school to consider a move upward.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Not disputing most of what you're saying, but they are losing way, way, way more with football now than they ever were in the CAA.

I'm not sure if they planned on making big FBS bucks right off the start - that would be pretty shortsighted. Even Boise State, which most people seem to look at as the ultimate FCS to FBS success story, only won one FBS (well, then IA) game their first year as a FBS program, then three the next, and three after that before their first breakout season and bowl appearance in '99 (the numbers for the second and third year could be one off - I'm not sure if Cal-State Northridge was a I-A or I-AA program at the time).

UMass has the resources to make it work, they'll just have to be patient.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 10:50 PM
That's the problem. UMASS DOES NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES RIGHT NOW.

That is a CAPSLOCK fact.

Maybe the worm turns...

BlueHenSinfonian
September 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
That's the problem. UMASS DOES NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES RIGHT NOW.

That is a CAPSLOCK fact.

Maybe the worm turns...

They're the major state university with close to 30,000 students at the Amherst campus. They can find a way to make it work.

putter
September 26th, 2012, 12:39 AM

A lot better than the school just up the road.......IDA-HO

Squealofthepig
September 26th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Heck, the 15k they got to see them play Indiana is about 10k more than they got last year to see them play anyone. .

UMass averaged 10,005 last year. Sauce: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM
That's the problem. JMU DOES NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES RIGHT NOW.

That is a CAPSLOCK fact.

Maybe the worm turns... ...says the JMU administration.

They're the major state university with over 20,000 students. They can find a way to make it work.

...says the JMU fan base.

Over year's worth of JMU debate on FCS/FBS summed up in two posts. Thanks guys!

Now back to laughing at UMass...

Dane96
September 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
They're the major state university with close to 30,000 students at the Amherst campus. They can find a way to make it work.

The State categorically has stated with no if's and's or but's that the school WILL NOT receive a dime to build the Stadium. The school rebuked--much to the chagrin of sport fans who happened to work in the State Gov't--all hints of how to help and / or receive Federal funding for the road portion of the project.

Leadership at the UMASS was not the greatest leading up to the move. By UMASS, I mean both Amherst and here in Boston (the head office of the System).

The comparision to Buffalo is spot on (also a school w/ 30k students and unlike UMASS, in a mid-major metropolitan city).

I wish UMASS nothing but luck....however they have a massive uphill battle.

danefan
September 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Btw, I'm disappointed that UMass isn't an FCS school anymore. We could have had a great "I-90 Rivalry" in the CAA.

ccd494
September 26th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Btw, I'm disappointed that UMass isn't an FCS school anymore. We could have had a great "I-90 Rivalry" in the CAA.

....but then if UMass was still in the CAA, Albany probably would not be.

danefan
September 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM
....but then if UMass was still in the CAA, Albany probably would not be.

Maybe but I think Albany would and Rhode Island wouldn't.

But oh well.

darell1976
September 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM
UMass can't stay terrible in the MAC....that's Eastern Michigan's job. Why not judge all the teams in the MAC, what has EMU done except get passed the NCAA attendance rule every year. I say wait a few years then decide if the move by UMass was good or bad. Like someone else said look at WKU from the bottom to the top tier of the Sun Belt. If they start cutting programs because of lack of funds due to the move up then considerate it a fail. Until then if they are making money it is still a good move.

henfan
September 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM

xlolxxcrazyx

GannonFan
September 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
UMass averaged 10,005 last year. Sauce: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Eh, only 4 home dates in Amherst last year (the UNH game was in Foxboro). That means half the home slate was Homcoming and Parents/Community Day. A ranked JMU team came into Amherst last year and drew 7k. Either way, it's at least a 50% increase in attendance playing in Foxboro versus Amherst. UNH game last year had 25k people.

TheRevSFA
September 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
After playing through 5 seasons of NCAA football 13, I note that the computer controlling UMass has aMASSed (pun there..get it?) a total of 6 wins.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
UMass can't stay terrible in the MAC....that's Eastern Michigan's job. Why not judge all the teams in the MAC, what has EMU done except get passed the NCAA attendance rule every year. I say wait a few years then decide if the move by UMass was good or bad. Like someone else said look at WKU from the bottom to the top tier of the Sun Belt. If they start cutting programs because of lack of funds due to the move up then considerate it a fail. Until then if they are making money it is still a good move.

WKU is not making money from their move up. No Sun Belt team is.

Sader87
September 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
UMass football never really drew a lot of fans historically. Harvard and Holy Cross routinely outdrew them in the 70's, 80's and 90's (when all 3 were 1-AA) and hardly anyone in the Northeast has drawn much for 1-AA football in the 2000s.

The FBS move is a gamble but FCS football at UMass was never going to amount to much.

darell1976
September 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
WKU is not making money from their move up. No Sun Belt team is.

That could bite them. Nebraska-Omaha had a great football program but cut it so they can move to DI. (more emphasis on hockey) So if WKU can't pay the bills it will be snip, snip.

PAllen
September 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
After playing through 5 seasons of NCAA football 13, I note that the computer controlling UMass has aMASSed (pun there..get it?) a total of 6 wins.

EA Sports, The method by which all major sporting decisions should be made! :D

darell1976
September 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
EA Sports, The method by which all major sporting decisions should be made! :D

I noticed when they put UMass on the game they put them at the lowest ratings of any team. Even lower than Texas State and Texas-SA. I guess if you want a challenge play them at Heisman level and see if you can take down Alabama.xlolx

ccd494
September 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe but I think Albany would and Rhode Island wouldn't.

But oh well.

I dunno, it's difficult to speculate on revisionist history scenarios, but I think it's plausible that the southern CAA contingent would have said to Maine and UNH "but you have a bus trip to UMass, we don't need to add two northern schools."