PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-24

JALMOND
September 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Some surprises during the opening weekend of conference play and therefore some changes in the power rankings for the conference members. The lone team that did not play in the conference last weekend, Idaho State, gets started this weekend. Kudos to Northern Arizona for finally getting the monkey (or Grizzly, if you will) off their back. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky conference with last week's rank in parenthesis. As usual, all are my opinion only, but should make for some great discussion. Have at it.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats opened their conference play at home against the upstart Northern Colorado squad and jumped on them early, earning the win. But just how good are the Bobcats? This weekend they venture on the road again, going to Southern Utah. Can they get a quality road win?

2. Eastern Washington (2)---After two impressive FBS performances and coming off a bye week, the Eagles headed down to a tough place to play at Weber State. After struggling a bit, they were able to secure the win. Now they go home and look forward to a game against Montana.

3. Cal Poly (3)---Maybe some opening game jitters but the Mustangs, after beating FBS Wyoming, barely got the win against UC-Davis. A road win is good, but they will need to play better, especially as they head out to North Dakota this weekend.

4. Northern Arizona (5)---After spotting Montana an early lead and looking every bit like the Lumberjacks of old, they rallied and finally got the elusive win against those pesky Grizzlies. The question now is will this provide a spark to a successful season or will they stumble like so many great Jacks teams of the past. This weekend, they entertain Portland State.

5. North Dakota (6)---The former Sioux showed an ability to get a quality road win against Sacramento State last week to go with their impressive home wins, setting the stage for what could be a successful Big Sky season. They could keep things rolling with a home win this weekend against Cal Poly.

6. Montana (4)---After going ahead of Northern Arizona early, it looked like another cakewalk for the Grizzlies in this series. But then nothing went right and they had to watch they Lumberjacks rally for the win. Will they recover or will the off-field distractions prove too much. Another early season test as they go on the road to Eastern Washington.

7. Southern Utah (8)---A never say give up attitude prevailed last week as the Thunderbirds rallied for the win late at Portland State in their first Big Sky conference game. Also, their struggling defense came up big with a goal line stand to preserve the win. Now they go home and face a strong Montana State team.

8. Sacramento State (7)---Just like last season, the Hornets took down a Pac-12 team and cannot make it transfer to wins in the conference, losing at home to North Dakota in their conference opener. They will need to start winning and maybe it will start this weekend at Idaho State.

9. Weber State (10)---Yes it is a fact that the Wildcats are the only conference team not to have won a game but they gave Eastern Washington all they could handle at home. They will most likely get a win soon. This weekend they go on the road to UC-Davis.

10. Portland State (11)---For most of the game, the Vikings held Southern Utah in check, only to lose it in the closing minutes. Beating a team in every statistic but the score only means a loss to start the season. This weekend, they have to go to Northern Arizona, which will be far from easy.

11. UC-Davis (12)---The Aggies have put their faith in their defense, trying to hold teams in check and hope the offense can find just enough. Their defense can stop just about anyone as evidenced by their game last week at Cal Poly. However, their offense still has to come through. This weekend they welcome Weber State.

12. Idaho State (9)---While everyone else was opening up conference play, the Bengals still had an FBS game to play. The problem was that they were playing traditionally strong Nebraska. After the sound beating they received, they head home to play Sacramento State.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---After showing some improvement from last season, the Bears played at Montana State last week but really did not show up. Hopes that they may break through and get a conference win this year were dashed, at least for a week. Well, maybe two as they take this weekend off.

coover
September 25th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Jalmond --- you the man.

Your ratings and comments are just about perfect. I know I can't improve on much you said. One small change, however, after watching Poly play Davis ... I believe that Davis might have straightened out their offense and might start scoring more in future games. However, I doubt if that would move them up in the power ratings. They are where they deserve to be.

darell1976
September 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM
And to think UND plays #2-4 all in a row starting on Saturday. Talk about a conference initiation.

MSUBobcat
September 25th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Looks good Jalmond. This week's matchups should do much to clear up the top 6 or 7 teams, with 1 @ 7, 6 @ 2, 3 @ 5.

MSUBobcat
September 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
And to think UND plays #2-4 all in a row starting on Saturday. Talk about a conference initiation.

Tough schedule indeed, but to move up its better to control your own destiny, rather than hope someone else upsets the teams ahead of you. Good luck with your upcoming meat grinder schedule.

darell1976
September 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Tough schedule indeed, but to move up its better to control your own destiny, rather than hope someone else upsets the teams ahead of you. Good luck with your upcoming meat grinder schedule.

Thats why I don't like to talk about being a bubble team or if we get the 7 win mark. I would rather talk about a conference title where you are GUARANTEED a playoff spot. Of course its easier said than done. I think our game Oct 27th at MSU will be a good one as well. By then I think there should be a clearer picture on who is playoff bound and who isn't.

wapiti
September 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I would probably switch EWU and Montana State, but I also see arguments to have as you do.
Great job.

bobcathpdevil56
September 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Bump. Great rankings as always JALMOND

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I don't think there's a whole lot that separates the top 7 teams.

MSU has really showed me something the last two weeks. Their win over inferior UNC finally showed the dominance i was expecting at the start of the year.

I'm really starting to think UND has the potential to "steal" a bid. Their offense reminds me of Lehigh's last year. I'd love to see them get a shot at NDSU in the playoffs.

bojeta
September 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Enjoyed this video hi-light from the Cal Poly - UC Davis game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KucehkVrAp8&feature=player_embedded

bobcathpdevil56
September 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM

MSU has really showed me something the last two weeks. Their win over inferior UNC finally showed the dominance i was expecting at the start of the year.

I'm really starting to think UND has the potential to "steal" a bid. Their offense reminds me of Lehigh's last year. I'd love to see them get a shot at NDSU in the playoffs.

If that happens will the entire state of North Dakota burn?

344Johnson
September 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM

We all saw how that ended up ;)

darell1976
September 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM

What will the headlines be: UND reaches playoffs on their first year of eligibility. Or NDSU to meet UND in playoffs despite off-field problems.:D

Walkon79
September 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Nice Job Jalmond!

Walkon79
September 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Thats why I don't like to talk about being a bubble team or if we get the 7 win mark. I would rather talk about a conference title where you are GUARANTEED a playoff spot. Of course its easier said than done. I think our game Oct 27th at MSU will be a good one as well. By then I think there should be a clearer picture on who is playoff bound and who isn't.

I fully expect UND to still be in the playoff hunt by then, but you need to take care of Poly at home or it might be over before it starts.

F'N Hawks
September 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I fully expect UND to still be in the playoff hunt by then, but you need to take care of Poly at home or it might be over before it starts.

Very true. If they don't get Poly it will take a miracle.