PDA

View Full Version : Lou Holtz on Georgia Southern vote:

gasoutherneagle
September 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInlQ8x_2S8

ngineer
September 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM
The excitement that "permeates" the student body and community only happens if you win. Is it really worth the money being spent to be 'big time' in football, when money can be better spent on education?

crossfire07
September 24th, 2012, 04:58 PM
How much did he get paid for that? Anyone who watches him on ESPN knows his true feelings about small schools moving up.

gasoutherneagle
September 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
MY GOD, MAN! The new Biology building is nearing completion, the College of Engineering is up and running.... WHAT DO YOU WANT!?!? We masked it good enough... TIME FOR DA FOOZBALL MONEY!xrulesx

gasoutherneagle
September 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM
How much did he get paid for that? Anyone who watches him on ESPN knows his true feelings about small schools moving up.
He's got a problem with the UAB's and Georgia State's of the world (who ain't won sheetz) trying to move up... the most storied power in FCS... THAT'S another ballgame.

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM

According to our Athletics when this was posted, he did it free of charge.

eagle07
September 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dr. LOU!

lol my wife is a speech pathologist and everytime im watching espn and Lou is talking she has to leave the room it bothers her so much

walliver
September 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Has Lou ever been to a game at Paulson Stadium?
Is there currently no excitement or enthusiasm? and will playing UL-L and FAU bring excitement to that stadium for the first time?

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Lou is from West Virginia just 15 miles south of Y-town just across the Ohio River. RT-11 south in Y-town is named the Lou Holtz highway.

CorrosionDoc
September 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
OK, I totally expected Lou to break into Rodney Dangerfield, ala Back to School:

"As you go out into the world, my advice to you is... don't go! It's rough out there. Move back with your parents! Let them worry about it!"

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Has Lou ever been to a game at Paulson Stadium?
Is there currently no excitement or enthusiasm? and will playing UL-L and FAU bring excitement to that stadium for the first time?

They also said he had a connection to GA Southern. I'm just not sure what. (I'll try to dig up the facebook link in a moment)

Edit:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100617411848831

Georgia Southern Athletics
Coach Holtz has several connections to Georgia Southern and taped the video last night -- no payment requested or required. GATA!

Grizalltheway
September 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Dr. LOU!

lol my wife is a speech pathologist and everytime im watching espn and Lou is talking she has to leave the room it bothers her so much

I had to see a speech therapist when I was a wee GATW, and every time I hear him speak, I thank Flying Spaghetti Monster that I did.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
"Look at his perrifeeal vision!"

He's a great coach and man.

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2012, 07:20 PM
The real GSU is better positioned than most to move up, but the more teams that move up the more likley a new new top division will be formed. We have South Alabama, Georgia State, UTSA, Texas State, ODU and Charlotte as recent or pending additions. Just too many teams playing at the top level that have nothing in common with the schools that actually play in the big bowls and win national titles.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
"Look at his perrifeeal vision!"

He's a great coach and man.

Well said! People like to take shots at Holtz and Vitale but don't realize they are going after two of the finest people you'll ever meet.

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Our fight song has never fit so perfectly...
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/3694_10151212239116774_596996793_n.jpg

Eagle22
September 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The excitement that "permeates" the student body and community only happens if you win. Is it really worth the money being spent to be 'big time' in football, when money can be better spent on education?

With over $337 million dollars spent on improving classrooms, infrastructure and other educational support items over the last decade, the answer to your question is "YES".

The athletic department has lagged behind the growth of the rest of the school, wins/losses in the sports aside. It's time. We'll see what the current crop of students think.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Has anyone else ever seen Dan Patrick's imitation of Lou? Hilarious!!!

I hope GA Southern stays FCS, as they are good for our level. GA SO has some serious tradition and name recognition. I'll never forget warming up in pregame the first time we played down their during our transition and hearing their fans heckle the ***** out of me while I was catching punts... They were ruthless! haha

I did get end up scoring a TD against them though, so I like to think I got the last laugh.

Boo Boo
September 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
LOU-ser Holtz said something? Who the ***** cares?

gsu1moretime
September 24th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I am in the little numbers at Georgia Southern that say's yes to expansion and no to fbs.. why do you want to be ulm? troy? mtsu? I just don't understand.. especially when bcs is going to be no longer very soon. stay in fcs and compete for nat'l championships..

gsu1moretime
September 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaSouthernFCSPOWERHOUSE

cbarrier90
September 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I am in the little numbers at Georgia Southern that say's yes to expansion and no to fbs.. why do you want to be ulm? troy? mtsu? I just don't understand.. especially when bcs is going to be no longer very soon. stay in fcs and compete for nat'l championships..

Wait a minute, if the BCS isn't going to be here much longer, that would give every team an outside shot at competing for a title (pending a run of the table and a decent OOC schedule.) If anything, that makes FBS even more desirable. Not only that, but with every program trying to move up into the "BCS" teir, the FCS is in danger of being relegated to D-II.

Are you sure you would rather win this national title than upset #8 Arkansas and take Auburn to OT? UL-M is no longer a poster child for what not to do.

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Holtz is against GSU reclassifying because his only attempt at the big time didn't end so well.
http://wwwc.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/holtz-jets.jpg

Yeah, he's a great guy, just like his old buddy Jesse Helms.

Sorry, I'm not a fan.

DSUrocks07
September 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Comment on the video:

Lou blinks 4 times in the first 40 seconds and 51 times the last 33.

Apphole
September 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM
REALLY cool that he did this for y'all.

I love Lou Holtz. He knows how to recognize great programs, regardless of level. While everyone was crying fluke and crying about how Michigan was terrible, Lou gave the most accurate account of the game that ESPN is capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kMG4yijVY

cannonballgsu
September 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM
http://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaSouthernFCSPOWERHOUSE

Congrats on your six likes.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Yes, kudos to you for spreading the anti-fbs message to a whole 6 people! And one of em is probably your personal page. So 5 people.

Franks Tanks
September 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Holtz is against GSU reclassifying because his only attempt at the big time didn't end so well.
http://wwwc.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/holtz-jets.jpg

Yeah, he's a great guy, just like his old buddy Jesse Helms.

Sorry, I'm not a fan.

Notre Dame isn't the big time? He was the last coach to have ND contend, much less win, a National title. Notre Dame was also a mess before he got there.

You may not like him as a person, but he was one hell of a coach.

crossfire07
September 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Wait a minute, if the BCS isn't going to be here much longer, that would give every team an outside shot at competing for a title (pending a run of the table and a decent OOC schedule.) If anything, that makes FBS even more desirable. Not only that, but with every program trying to move up into the "BCS" teir, the FCS is in danger of being relegated to D-II.

Are you sure you would rather win this national title than upset #8 Arkansas and take Auburn to OT? UL-M is no longer a poster child for what not to do.

After all these years of ULM being FBS and the hundreds of millions they have spent, beating an over ranked Arkansas and going to ot with Auburn is still the lesson of not how to be.Move up to FBS and be scared to play the ones you had been playing for years? That is ULM's way of doing things. ULM is still a joke and always will be.Schools outside of the power conferences do not have a chance in hell at getting a national championship. It will always be a dream to them just like that false feeling inside that they believe they belong on the same field as the Alabamas, Oregons and LSU's.

cbarrier90
September 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM

xlolx

sgt smash
September 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
If anyone should be moving up its the likes of Ga. Southern, Appy and a Montana or something because of your history of winning. In all reality though FCS without Georgia Southern would be like Lou Holtz without a lisp. Just not the same. It wouldnt feel right.

I hope you guys can do whatever is best for your school and program regardless of where you stand on the issue.

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
You may not like him as a person, but he was one hell of a coach.

Sorry, Frank but I respectfully disagree. Lou Holtz is a two bit clown. Yeah, he won some games as a college coach and, at just about every stop, the schools he was coaching were placed on probation after he left for violations that occurred on ol' Slobbermouth's watch. Arkansas, Minnesota, ND and USC.

As I said, not a fan of Holtz or his "win at any cost" philosophy. The NFL discovered what a fraud this guy was PDQ.

Eagle22
September 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Sorry, Frank but I respectfully disagree. Lou Holtz is a two bit clown. Yeah, he won some games as a college coach and, at just about every stop, the schools he was coaching were placed on probation after he left for violations that occurred on ol' Slobbermouth's watch. Arkansas, Minnesota, ND and USC.

As I said, not a fan of Holtz or his "win at any cost" philosophy. The NFL discovered what a fraud this guy was PDQ.

Didn't Lou Holtz coach a few years in the SoCon at William & Mary ? (I will admit that I was only two or three years old at the time he was there ;)) Did he wreck them and NC State too ?

Holtz does possess a little bit of personal knowledge of the different levels of competition present within collegiate football, and with that background I at least found his offer of support a tad more interesting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Most of the infractions were extremely minor. There's no denying he was major proponent of Prop 48 at ND since it helped him turn the program around. Several key members of the '88 title team were prop guys, including Tony Rice. I really don't get the "winning at any cost comment". There's far worse that goes on right now.

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Didn't Lou Holtz coach a few years in the SoCon at William & Mary ? Did he wreck them and NC State too?

Holtz didn't develop a penchant for bending the rules & looking the other way while violations are being committed until he arrived at Arkansas. I just think it's funny that so many people idolize that Bozo.

Eagle22
September 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Holtz didn't develop a penchant for bending the rules & looking the other way while violations are being committed until he arrived at Arkansas. I just think it's funny that so many people idolize that Bozo.

I think that is a job hazard associated with coaching in the SEC ;), though I do know then that Arkansas wasn't in the SEC.

Gringer1
September 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
You guys need to quit picking on Lou Holtz. He hasn't even been dead a year yet!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think that is a job hazard associated with coaching in the SEC ;), though I do know then that Arkansas wasn't in the SEC.

The SWC was even worse....

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Most of the infractions were extremely minor. There's no denying he was major proponent of Prop 48 at ND since it helped him turn the program around. Several key members of the '88 title team were prop guys, including Tony Rice. I really don't get the "winning at any cost comment". There's far worse that goes on right now.

So, now we're assigning gradations of cheating. I'm not even sure how to argue that. Suggesting that the cheating that took place under Holtz is somehow OK because it's not as bad as some of what occurs now is kind of disgusting.

Holtz's sins at ND amounted to looking the other way when he found out about academic fraud and improper benefits to players. At USC, they were sanctioned for 10 violations under Holtz, 5 of which were considered by the NCAA to be MAJOR. While at UM, Holtz's program racked up 17 violations. Coincidence?

gsu1moretime
September 25th, 2012, 11:25 PM
yes, im sorry I dont have lou Holtz speaking for me. And yeah I do not want to move up right now. We have crap facilities and basketball arena is worse than most high schools. And I would rather Sam Baker not have anything to deal with us moving up. That is why he quit AD is so he can be special adviser to president keel in the process of moving up. He didn't put us in the proper ways of moving us up all this time then why would you trust him to do it now? Wait he did pay a committee a million dollars so they could tell us what we need to do to move up which was already self explanatory. But yes!!! lets move our 7 out of 8 athletic budget in the southern conference and go to the fbs sounds like a fun time.

LakesBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
jacked? are you the kid that caught the ndsu punt inside the 5 yard line?? hahaha
Has anyone else ever seen Dan Patrick's imitation of Lou? Hilarious!!!

I hope GA Southern stays FCS, as they are good for our level. GA SO has some serious tradition and name recognition. I'll never forget warming up in pregame the first time we played down their during our transition and hearing their fans heckle the ***** out of me while I was catching punts... They were ruthless! haha

I did get end up scoring a TD against them though, so I like to think I got the last laugh.

wmmii
September 25th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Didn't Lou Holtz coach a few years in the SoCon at William & Mary ? (I will admit that I was only two or three years old at the time he was there ;)) Did he wreck them and NC State too ?

Holtz does possess a little bit of personal knowledge of the different levels of competition present within collegiate football, and with that background I at least found his offer of support a tad more interesting.

Yep, he was at W&M twice. First an assistant coach and then the head coach in the late 60's.

ngineer
September 25th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Yep, he was at W&M twice. First an assistant coach and then the head coach in the late 60's.

yes, many years ago he was asked in a press conference why he left Williamsburg, and his reply was, "Too many Marys and not enough Wiliams".