PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 4 Power Rankings

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Youngstown State back on top after their big win on Saturday.

Here's how the rest ended up: http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/p/power-rankings.html

I'm excited for the next few weeks of MVFC play. NDSU vs. YSU is also lurking in the future; that game is already giving me chills.

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
NDSU vs. YSU is also lurking in the future; that game is already giving me chills.

Was that weird of me to say?

NDB
September 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Whatever floats your boat, weirdo.

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Whatever floats your boat, weirdo.

Ha! Don't act like its not happening to you either!

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Not bad, for being based on a formula it's sorted itself out pretty well in my opinion.

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Not bad, for being based on a formula it's sorted itself out pretty well in my opinion.

Good so far, we'll see if it stays that way when teams start beating each other up. With three undefeated teams, SOS is still dictating the separation between those three at the top.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
The formula is already starting to show it's weakness. Most humans can do better than this ranking already.

Miller is just too scared to just put his own opinion out there, has to hide behind some algorithm.

Vitojr130
September 25th, 2012, 07:25 AM
The formula is already starting to show it's weakness. Most humans can do better than this ranking already.

Miller is just too scared to just put his own opinion out there, has to hide behind some algorithm.

You complain a lot.
I think this ranking looks fairly reasonable. YSU knocked down UNI, so I can see them being ranked #1 until we actually play a Valley opponent.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM
You complain a lot.
I think this ranking looks fairly reasonable. YSU knocked down UNI, so I can see them being ranked #1 until we actually play a Valley opponent.

Wasn't talking about that part of it.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Wasn't talking about that part of it.

Must be talking about SIU over Indiana State?

DJKyR0
September 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Your lust for opinions shall be sated later today when I put up my conference power rankings fueled only by my own biases and takes. Should be up later this afternoon.

Also I now write for this blog too. Surprise.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Right, I'm scared to put my opinion out there yet I blog about my opinions about the MVFC each day--with my own name on each post. Have you ever thought that I'm doing these rankings for fun? I think its fun when you put a formula together and see it work out. Like I told Lakes last week, I'll be the first to tell its flaws if it goes down hill.

You want my opinion? I think Indiana State should be above Southern Illinois. However, my mind is open to other arguments and I understand why the formula has Indiana State below SIU. If you read through the power rankings instead of just glancing through, you would understand that Indiana State is hurting in the rankings because their only wins are Quincy and Drake--and that is a fair argument.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Tag-team style. Glad to have you on board DJK!

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Must be talking about SIU over Indiana State?

No. It really shouldn't be that hard for you of all people to see the flaw.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Your lust for opinions shall be sated later today when I put up my conference power rankings fueled only by my own biases and takes. Should be up later this afternoon.

Fantastic. I look forward to it.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Right, I'm scared to put my opinion out there yet I blog about my opinions about the MVFC each day--with my own name on each post. Have you ever thought that I'm doing these rankings for fun? I think its fun when you put a formula together and see it work out. Like I told Lakes last week, I'll be the first to tell its flaws if it goes down hill.

You want my opinion? I think Indiana State should be above Southern Illinois. However, my mind is open to other arguments and I understand why the formula has Indiana State below SIU. If you read through the power rankings instead of just glancing through, you would understand that Indiana State is hurting in the rankings because their only wins are Quincy and Drake--and that is a fair argument.

Why is a formula more fun than putting your opinion on the ranking directly out there?? It doesn't work, the BCS ranking has proven this fact over and over and over.

UNIFanSince1983
September 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Why is a formula more fun than putting your opinion on the ranking directly out there?? It doesn't work, the BCS ranking has proven this fact over and over and over.

The only problem with the BCS is they only take the top 2 teams. The formula would work great to select the 8 most deserving teams for a playoff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM

I don't know, I guess I like math.

Also, I get to put my opinion out there in the blog... so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM

One could also make an argument that Northern Iowa could be placed over Illinois State. I guess that could be what you're looking at. Although, you can't deny that Illinois State is 4-0 with decent wins over Eastern Illinois and Eastern Michigan.

Why don't you just enlighten us as to what you're seeing, and why you see it that way.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM

One could also make an argument that Northern Iowa could be placed over Illinois State. I guess that could be what you're looking at. Although, you can't deny that Illinois State is 4-0 with decent wins over Eastern Illinois and Eastern Michigan.

Why don't you just enlighten us as to what you're seeing, and why you see it that way.
I concur. Just make sure you present your opinion in such a way that you can twist it later in the thread when you're called out for it. I guess I shouldn't need to tell you this though.

Kemo
September 25th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Keep up the good work mmiller_34! I enjoy looking at this each week even if it isn't the most-perfect-formula-to-ever-grace-mankind!

Also, just ignore Ignatius Reilly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Reilly#Ignatius_J._Reilly)... err... MplsBison.

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Keep up the good work mmiller_34! I enjoy looking at this each week even if it isn't the most-perfect-formula-to-ever-grace-mankind!

Also, just ignore Ignatius Reilly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Reilly#Ignatius_J._Reilly)... err... MplsBison.

Thanks K. You going to the SDSU game this weekend?

Kemo
September 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks K. You going to the SDSU game this weekend?
I will not be, as I have to work. I will be following it on the radio rather than doing actual work, however :)

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I will not be, as I have to work. I will be following it on the radio rather than doing actual work, however :)

I'll yell twice as loud for you then xpeacex

UNIFanSince1983
September 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Clearly he is talking about a 1-3 UNI team with no D1 wins over a 3-1 SDSU team.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM
The only problem with the BCS is they only take the top 2 teams. The formula would work great to select the 8 most deserving teams for a playoff.

No, that's exactly my point. The formula is s___.

A selection committee of humans is always the correct way to select the playoff field. At least there is accountability. How do you hold a computer accountable???

"You silicon ba__tard!!! I'll rip your cord out!!!"

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Clearly he is talking about a 1-3 UNI team with no D1 wins over a 3-1 SDSU team.

I guess it takes someone with a UNI education....

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't know, I guess I like math.

Also, I get to put my opinion out there in the blog... so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

And you could put your opinion and your own opinion of how the teams should be ranked. That would be best. But you choose to hide behind a formula for some reason, I guess so that you don't have to be held accountable for what the computer spits out. "It's not my fault, that's what the formula says so we have to live with it".

mmiller_34
September 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM
"It's not my fault, that's what the formula says so we have to live with it".

Sure, because thats exactly what I've been doing lately too! xsalutex

MplsBison
September 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Sure, because thats exactly what I've been doing lately too! xsalutex

You haven't had to yet, your formula hasn't added anything to the conversation.

DJKyR0
September 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Kemo, where have you been the last year? Bisonville misses you, buddy. This (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?19126-Jacks-lose-epic-recruiting-battle&p=348962#post348962) will forever be my nomination for most hilarious Bisonville post of all time, context inclusive.

Kemo
September 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Kemo, where have you been the last year? Bisonville misses you, buddy. This (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?19126-Jacks-lose-epic-recruiting-battle&p=348962#post348962) will forever be my nomination for most hilarious Bisonville post of all time, context inclusive.
I still view Bisonville on a regular basis, I just quit posting there (for the most part). There's a good reason for it, but I won't disclose that (nothing to do with any of the members, just an FYI). If I do post something, it'll be because I had a thought too amusing to resist.

BTW: My personal favorite post was when I taunted Bisonville about the fact the Jacks won the Summit League Sportsmanship Award and the Bison didn't.

UNIFanSince1983
September 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
No, that's exactly my point. The formula is s___.

A selection committee of humans is always the correct way to select the playoff field. At least there is accountability. How do you hold a computer accountable???

"You silicon ba__tard!!! I'll rip your cord out!!!"

I am not sure how I "proved" your point with what I said. Humans are inherently biased. Not to mention the BCS takes into account two human polls. One of which isn't released until mid season which means pre season biases are not involved. Let's take a look at last year:

1 LSU
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma State
4 Stanford
5 Oregon
6 Arkansas
7 Boise State
8 Kansas State

9 South Carolina
10 Wisconsin
11 Va Tech
12 Baylor
13 Michigan
14 Oklahoma
15 Clemson
16 Georgia

Sounds like a pretty darn good Top 8. Maybe South Carolina or Wisconsin has a gripe over K State, but really at any point when choosing playoff teams whether by using a formula or human selections the last ones left out are invariably going to complain.