35 (t) Indiana State Sycamores 30
35 (t) Villanova Wildcats 30
37 Alabama A&M Bulldogs 24
38 Eastern Illinois Panthers 18
39 (t) Georgetown Hoyas 11
39 (t) Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles 11

theasushow
September 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Good God look at the drop in points from 19-back.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
What has ODU done to deserve a #3 ranking?
JMU at #5? Why?

Northern Iowa at #15?

WileECoyote06
September 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Not everyone scraps their poll every week, dbackjon. After four games, teams are beginning to be penalized or rewarded based on performance rather than reputation. For teams new to the poll, the next two to three games are critical to their rise in the poll. After week seven, there will be even less movement as teams are measured by their success.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Not everyone scraps their poll every week, dbackjon. After four games, teams are beginning to be penalized or rewarded based on performance rather than reputation. For teams new to the poll, the next two to three games are critical to their rise in the poll. After week seven, there will be even less movement as teams are measured by their success.

That is one of the flaws of having pre-season/early season polls if you DON'T scrap your poll every week for the first three or four. Preseason/early season polls are nothing but guess. Once you have a body of work to look at, the whole poll should be re-evaluated - not just, well, I thought team xxxx was going to be good this year, they have sucked so far, but I can't drop them more than a few spots every time they lose, or the reverse - I overlooked team yyy, but even though they beat better teams, I can't jump them up, because, well, I really don't have a good reason, other than they weren't in my pre-season guess.

Dukie95
September 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Not sure beating URI warranted moving JMU from 9 to 5, but I'll take it.

melloware13
September 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Everyone I included is in the top 30, makes me feel like I did a good job this week!

401ks
September 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
xoopsx

Missed voting for the first time in years. DANG IT!

:o

At least all three of "my teams" (Cal Poly, Duquesne, and Butler) won last week.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
That is one of the flaws of having pre-season/early season polls if you DON'T scrap your poll every week for the first three or four. Preseason/early season polls are nothing but guess. Once you have a body of work to look at, the whole poll should be re-evaluated - not just, well, I thought team xxxx was going to be good this year, they have sucked so far, but I can't drop them more than a few spots every time they lose, or the reverse - I overlooked team yyy, but even though they beat better teams, I can't jump them up, because, well, I really don't have a good reason, other than they weren't in my pre-season guess.

Jon...perfect answer for what I am talking about in the other thread about Top 25 worthy. Do I believe UNI is top 25 worthy--- yes. Did I think, like everyone else, they were a Top 10 pre-season team. Yes.

Will I reward them with a high ranking today b/c they were inflated pre-season or even last week; ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Well done Jon.

Walkon79
September 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
It appears that AGS voters do a better job of that than the coaches or TSN.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM

If you don't use preseason idea's, recruiting classes, historical, how last season went, etc. How are you assigning any value beyond every undefeated team is tied for 1st place(atleast in week 1 and 2)? You seem to me, to have a major contradiction in thought. I think a further explanation in detail could help me to understand, if no contradiction is present.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM
1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Old Dominion Monarchs
4: James Madison Dukes
5: Georgia Southern Eagles
6: Youngstown State Penguins
7: Wofford Terriers
8: Northern Iowa Panthers
9: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
10: The Citadel Bulldogs
11: Sam Houston State Bearkats
12: Appalachian State Mountaineers
13: Eastern Washington Eagles
14: Cal Poly Mustangs
15: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Illinois State Redbirds
17: Central Arkansas Bears
18: Stony Brook Seawolves
19: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
21: Albany Great Danes
22: New Hampshire Wildcats
23: Samford Bulldogs
24: North Dakota
25: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

I am wearing my firesuit so flame away!

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM

At a glance, too much credit given to ASU, MSU, ODU(Not as big a transgression than the other's however), GSU, UNI.

I give more credit to SDSU than you, and loads more credit to ISU-r, but being on the eastcoast I understand your placement of SDSU. To accurately judge your poll I guess I would need to understand how you assemble it and to compare and contrast it against your previous polls, which I am not interested in doing.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM

So Jon, where would you have put NAU? Do you think NAU is better than every other team in FCS? Do you think NAU could beat NDSU? Do you think NAU has had the Sam Houston effect - the benefit of playing a weak FBS team and getting the win followed by beating a conference mate who probably was raniked too high?

Do you think, in FBS, a Sun Belt team should be ranked higher in the top 25 than a SEC team if they are undefeated and the SEC team has one loss?

I'm not criticizing you by any means, but I'm interested in your logic. I'm interested to how your poll would have been.

Professor Chaos
You also need to look at sample size. I don't think 3-4 games into the season is a big enough sample size to base rankings solely on games from this season. Therefore there is bias from previous seasons that come into play. That is why I have schools like SHSU and UNI still ranked fairly high (I had SHSU at 10 and UNI at 12) even though the results from this season don't back that up yet.

A month from now I'll feel comfortable enough with the sample size to use only this year as justification for my voting. It all gets sorted out by the time it really matters.

TTUEagles
For the record (as the one, or one of the 2-3 TTU fans on here), I did NOT put TTU on my ballot. Very upset with that bunch's debacle Saturday. Don't deserve "ORV"

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
If you don't use preseason idea's, recruiting classes, historical, how last season went, etc. How are you assigning any value beyond every undefeated team is tied for 1st place(atleast in week 1 and 2)? You seem to me, to have a major contradiction in thought. I think a further explanation in detail could help me to understand, if no contradiction is present.

Yes, you have to have SOMETHING to go on - but after the first few weeks, what you THOUGHT in the preseason is irrelevant. After four weeks, we are starting to get some data - some teams, like UNI, you have to give an incomplete too. People give credit to UNI for "playing Wisconsin/Iowa" tough, based on the typical Iowa/Wisconsin teams, but then not following up to realize that neither Wisconsin or Iowa are really that good this year (Iowa sucks).

Too many voters get hung up on sticking to their previous weeks polling - and worrying about dropping a team too far, or raising a team too much. The first 4/6 weeks of polls should be very fluid.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Yes, you have to have SOMETHING to go on - but after the first few weeks, what you THOUGHT in the preseason is irrelevant. After four weeks, we are starting to get some data - some teams, like UNI, you have to give an incomplete too. People give credit to UNI for "playing Wisconsin/Iowa" tough, based on the typical Iowa/Wisconsin teams, but then not following up to realize that neither Wisconsin or Iowa are really that good this year (Iowa sucks).

Too many voters get hung up on sticking to their previous weeks polling - and worrying about dropping a team too far, or raising a team too much. The first 4/6 weeks of polls should be very fluid.

Ah, well then I feel like a partially agree with you as I agree completely with the above. UNI is out of my poll entirely until they do something worthwile. App state fell out the week before for a similar reason, I don't value this years montana team like others are, etc. Ironically my reasoning for dropping App out also hurts your team slightly.

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Delaware a little low. Towson a little too low, aka not there. Georgia Southern a little high. Just my opinion though. Here's my stab:

3: Youngstown State Penguins
5: Old Dominion Monarchs
6: Illinois State Redbirds
7: Sam Houston State Bearkats
8: Wofford Terriers
9: The Citadel Bulldogs
10: Eastern Washington Eagles
11: Georgia Southern Eagles
12: Stony Brook Seawolves
13: Central Arkansas Bears
14: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
15: Towson Tigers
16: Cal Poly Mustangs
17: Appalachian State Mountaineers
18: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
19: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
20: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
21: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
22: Albany Great Danes
23: North Dakota
24: Samford Bulldogs
25: McNeese State Cowboys

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I will admit that I have UNI way too high looking at their record (something the angry Albany fans will Im sure bring up) but for me I look at my previous poll, look at where teams I have were ranked in the final poll for the week and then when I look at how they fared in the given week I will generally look at the games this way:

1. Who did they play? If they play an FBS team, I wont really penalize them if they lose (because its expected that an FCS team loses to an FBS team), but they will be rewarded for a win depending on how the other teams around where they would be positioned do. If its another FCS school, I look and see if that school is ranked. If yes, I see they are ranked above or below the team in consideration. If the team in consideration wins, they will be rewarded as noted before. If they lose, then they will not be. Now if the team in consideration is ranked and they lose to a team ranked below them or not ranked at all, I will generally drop them a significant number (I probably should have penalized UNI further after the YSU loss a couple weeks ago in retrospect). When it comes time to look at teams for the latter part of my ballot (generally 18 or 19-25), I look at the ORV section pretty heavily because if teams do drop out, they have to be replaced by someone else, so if a team is say 26-30, if they win, then they are welcomed into my ballot to replace a team that I dropped out, if they lose, I move to the next team and repeat.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM
So Jon, where would you have put NAU? Do you think NAU is better than every other team in FCS? Do you think NAU could beat NDSU? Do you think NAU has had the Sam Houston effect - the benefit of playing a weak FBS team and getting the win followed by beating a conference mate who probably was raniked too high?

Do you think, in FBS, a Sun Belt team should be ranked higher in the top 25 than a SEC team if they are undefeated and the SEC team has one loss?

I'm not criticizing you by any means, but I'm interested in your logic. I'm interested to how your poll would have been.

NAU is lilkely in the 15-20 range, but honestly, we still don't have enough data YET. Could NAU play/beat NDSU? Probably not. ODU? very good chance of that.

To your other question, probably not, but would depend on who they played OOC. If UL-Monroe had followed up their win against Arkansas with a win at Auburn (went to OT), and a win against Baylor (lost by 5), you would have to look at them seriously. If the SEC team with only won loss was a loss to say, undefeated Alabama (or even a two loss team with losses to LSU and Alabama) would still be ahead of undefeated Monroe.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just so you know Jon I had NAU at 21...so just a bit below where you would have them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Looks pretty good

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
NAU was just after UD and just before UNH in my poll. You can guess where that ranks them :p.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
My poll, and I know I have UCA higher than everyone. Maybe a bit of SLC homer, but maybe because this team is pretty damned good in my opinion, and I kept UNI too high..that was meant to be changed...

2: Youngstown State Penguins
4: Montana State Bobcats
5: Wofford Terriers
6: James Madison Dukes
7: Eastern Washington Eagles
8: The Citadel Bulldogs
9: Northern Iowa Panthers
10: Central Arkansas Bears
12: Illinois State Redbirds
13: Georgia Southern Eagles
14: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
16: Stony Brook Seawolves
17: Cal Poly Mustangs
18: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
19: Appalachian State Mountaineers
20: Montana Grizzlies
21: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
22: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
23: Albany Great Danes

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I feel way better about my poll than last week.

3: Montana State Bobcats
4: The Citadel Bulldogs
8: Illinois State Redbirds
9: Georgia Southern Eagles
10: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
11: Towson Tigers
12: Sam Houston State Bearkats
13: Stony Brook Seawolves
15: Central Arkansas Bears
18: McNeese State Cowboys
19: Montana Grizzlies
22: Samford Bulldogs
23: Lafayette Leopards
24: Northern Iowa Panthers

crusader11
September 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Here's my shot at it:

3: Eastern Washington Eagles
4: Old Dominion Monarchs
5: The Citadel Bulldogs
8: Montana State Bobcats
9: Wofford Terriers
10: Towson Tigers
11: Illinois State Redbirds
12: Georgia Southern Eagles
16: Appalachian State Mountaineers
17: Northern Iowa Panthers
19: Albany Great Danes
20: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
21: Lafayette Leopards
23: Montana Grizzlies
24: New Hampshire Wildcats
25: Harvard Crimson

fatmonarch
September 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM

No ODU?

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
This one should bring out the noise makers.....

5: James Madison Dukes
6: Wofford Terriers
7: The Citadel Bulldogs
8: Central Arkansas Bears
9: Towson Tigers
10: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Stony Brook Seawolves
12: Cal Poly Mustangs
14: Sam Houston State Bearkats
15: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
16: Georgia Southern Eagles
17: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
18: Albany Great Danes
21: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Tennessee State Tigers
23: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
24: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
25: Northern Iowa Panthers

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
My poll, and I know I have UCA higher than everyone. Maybe a bit of SLC homer, but maybe because this team is pretty damned good in my opinion, and I kept UNI too high..that was meant to be changed...

9: Northern Iowa Panthers
12: Illinois State Redbirds
14: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
20: Montana Grizzlies

Pretty good placement, but if you had put NAU ahead of the team they just beat, even better.

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Well the ECB isn't working because I have them at 8...

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM

No ODU at all?

Montana at 19, no NAU?? Shouldn't feel too good about this poll

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Here's my shot at it:

3: Eastern Washington Eagles
10: Towson Tigers
17: Northern Iowa Panthers
25: Harvard Crimson

Montana, UNH and Harvard ranked, but not NAU??

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Here's my shot at it:

Two teams I wish I could have at least put "Tied for 25th" on my ballot. My group of 20-35 got really bunched together for me this week as the ORV in the Top40 of the AGS poll got W's.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
3: James Madison Dukes
5: Illinois State Redbirds
6: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: Stony Brook Seawolves
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Georgia Southern Eagles
15: Montana State Bobcats
17: Albany Great Danes
18: Old Dominion Monarchs
19: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
20: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
21: New Hampshire Wildcats
22: Towson Tigers
24: Indiana State Sycamores
25: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

really not happy with this poll. In my top 10 from last week there were several teams I wanted to drop a little (shsu, sbu, uni), or stay in place (the citadel) and noone I really wanted to jump up, aside from uca. Instead several teams moved up despite being underwhelming (cit, gsu, odu). NAU, layfayette, and maine round out the teams just outside.

On second attempt, app would be around 17, delaware, wofford and albany a few spots higher, the citadel around 8th.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2012, 01:08 PM

I had NAU in at #22.

crusader11
September 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM

UNH and Harvard, yes.

You've got me on Montana. That was an oversight on my part, and NAU should be in over them. I felt pretty good about my poll too, but that is a mistake.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM
2: Old Dominion Monarchs (ODU offense is impressive)
9: Northern Iowa Panthers (Still a Top 10 team that lost by 7 to another Top 10)
10: Sam Houston State Bearkats
11: The Citadel Bulldogs (still not convinced)
12: Georgia Southern Eagles (no movement in my poll, but could've dropped)
14: Lehigh Mountain Hawks (undefeated, but unimpressive)
17: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
18: Cal Poly Mustangs
21: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
22: Montana Grizzlies
25: New Hampshire Wildcats

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Pretty good placement, but if you had put NAU ahead of the team they just beat, even better.

Perhaps. If NAU wins again this week we shall see where they reside next week in my poll

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 01:13 PM
UNH and Harvard, yes.

You've got me on Montana. That was an oversight on my part, and NAU should be in over them. I felt pretty good about my poll too, but that is a mistake.

Sounds good.
We will know more about UNH next week, with UD in town.

BEAR
September 24th, 2012, 01:14 PM
But what about NAU????!!!!!!!! xpeacex

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
But what about NAU and Albany????!!!!!!!! xpeacex

FIFY xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
No ODU at all?

Montana at 19, no NAU?? Shouldn't feel too good about this poll

ODU was a clear miss on my part. I had them #5 last week. Montana has to win a game against a ranked opponent just once this year to make it back in and NAU is on my waiting list.

narc
September 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM

1/10, leaving out ODU entirely makes it a bit obvious. One point for trying though.

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I apparently like Stony Brook a lot more than most.

11: The Citadel Bulldogs
12: Northern Iowa Panthers
14: Illinois State Redbirds
18: Central Arkansas Bears
19: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
21: North Dakota
24: Montana Grizzlies

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I apparently like Stony Brook a lot more than most.

12: Northern Iowa Panthers
14: Illinois State Redbirds
18: Central Arkansas Bears

Stony Brook didn't move in mine, After a not-so-hot performance against Colgate I didn't really know what to do with them.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I posted this already but thought Id post again with a bit of analysis:

Samford, North Dakota, Northern Arizona and SDSU were my new teams added from last week with SHSU probably the biggest loser among teams ranked last week followed by Montana (who fell out completely). No real big winners as far as movement goes, but I have to think that Albany needs to be careful not to have a letdown this week after their big win over Maine

citdog
September 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Samford, North Dakota, Northern Arizona and SDSU were my new teams added from last week with SHSU probably the biggest loser among teams ranked last week followed by Montana (who fell out completely). No real big winners as far as movement goes, but I have to think that Albany needs to be careful not to have a letdown this week after their big win over Maine

dude there is so much that is just BLATANTLY WRONG about the above that it doesn't even warrant me pointing it out.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM

How can you have Ga Southern ahead of Younstown State when Youngstown State beat Pitt, Albany and UNI? I'm not being a homer here but good lord.

mmiller_34
September 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
dude there is so much that is just BLATANTLY WRONG about the above that it doesn't even warrant me pointing it out.

I know what it is! I know what it is! It is a team, that shares part of its nickname with an NFL team that is located in Pennsylvania.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Slightly better poll that TSN this week but I think both polls are pretty good. Only comments on this one are UNI is too high & UCA is too low.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM
2: Old Dominion Monarchs (ODU offense is impressive)
9: Northern Iowa Panthers (Still a Top 10 team that lost by 7 to another Top 10)
11: The Citadel Bulldogs (still not convinced)
12: Georgia Southern Eagles (no movement in my poll, but could've dropped)
14: Lehigh Mountain Hawks (undefeated, but unimpressive)
17: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
22: Montana Grizzlies

you have ODU at 2 and UNH, a team it beat at home by 3 points in a 125 point game, 23 spots lower. UNH has lost to 4-0 (lolwtf at that) minnesota and ODU, and has two pretty solid d1 wins.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Ok so Citadel is ranked below GSU (even though the Bulldogs won by two in their recent meeting). The thing that kept them down a bit to me is that this week really is they lost to an FBS (which though not worth a penalty as I noted when explaining my methodology earlier), added to the fact that As with many that arent dbackjon, I dont completely blow up my poll from week to week, not to mention, I do (up to about this week 4-5 area) consider the previous season to a small degree. Your boys get back into conference play this week and with another win, probably will keep moving up.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
How can you have Ga Southern ahead of Younstown State when Youngstown State beat Pitt, Albany and UNI? I'm not being a homer here but good lord.

see my explanation above re: The Citadel...same idea. Also, I readily admitted that I overrated UNI because of my methodology and not penalizing teams for losing to FBS schools (since its an expected outcome)

crusader11
September 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM
not penalizing teams for losing to FBS schools (since its an expected outcome)

Huh? Just because of the "FBS" title, it's an expected outcome?

If North Dakota State played UMass or Tulane or Memphis would it be expected that NDSU loses? I think there's a seriously flaw in the methodology here.

NDSU would challenge for the MAC title this year if they were in that conference.

citdog
September 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM

If North Dakota State played UMass or Tulane or Memphis would it be expected that NDSU loses? I think there's a seriously flaw in the methodology here.

NDSU would challenge for the MAC title this year if they were in that conference.

but not the SEC or the ACC who most Southern Conference teams play. not fbs in name only schools in yankeedom.

Big Dawg
September 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Dang...I didn't vote this week

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
My stab at it. Felt fairly good about 1-10, then it turned into a crap shoot xrotatehx

10: Georgia Southern Eagles
11: Cal Poly Mustangs - more love than most, but I see them ending at worst 9-2 with all D-I wins, including an FBS win (ok, it was Wyoming).
12: Appalachian State Mountaineers- maybe a little too high still
13: Central Arkansas Bears - little higher than most, but had to put them ahead of SHSU
14: Sam Houston State Bearkats - see above
15: Stony Brook Seawolves - also maybe a little too high still
16: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
17: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks - this is for you dbackjon!
18: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens - not as much love as the rest of you, no quality opponents with which to judge yet
20: Towson Tigers - same as Delaware
22: Montana Grizzlies - dropped quite a bit from my last week's poll
23: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
24: North Dakota - offense is churning out big numbers; defense seems like its starting to come around
25: McNeese State Cowboys - it was between UNI and McNeese for this spot and I changed it back and forth at least 3 or 4 times. Went with McNeese b/c I think UNI's playoff aspirations end in Week 5

Let the barrage begin. xslapfightx xcoffeex

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM
not fbs in name only schools in yankeedom.

you mean, like the sunbelt and the smoking remnants of c-usa?

citdog
September 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
you mean, like the sunbelt and the smoking remnants of c-usa?

JUST like those. we don't get to play them. they don't want to lose and there is no money in it for us.

Sammy94
September 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Here was my go at it.

9: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
12: Central Arkansas Bears
13: Cal Poly Mustangs
15: Stony Brook Seawolves
17: Towson Tigers
18: Appalachian State Mountaineers
20: Northern Iowa Panthers
23: New Hampshire Wildcats
25: North Dakota

Hambone
September 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM
3: Wofford Terriers
7: Montana State Bobcats
10: Cal Poly Mustangs
15: Sam Houston State Bearkats
16: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
20: North Dakota
21: Towson Tigers
22: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
25: Montana Grizzlies

Had to drop UNI as although I think they are a strong team, I cannot put a team without a DI win after 4 weeks in my poll.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM

To many, yes.

Teams like NDSU and EWU certainly are closing the gap, but they are more the exception than the rule. In many cases (remember, FBS still wins the FBS vs. FCS matchups at a very high percentage), even average FBS teams still win, and in some cases dominate FCS opponents.

Which is fine. Not everyone has or would have their level of success. Id like to see NDSU play someone like a Texas or a Baylor or an Oregon or Arizona or UCLA

my comments in red

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
3: Wofford Terriers
7: Montana State Bobcats
16: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
20: North Dakota
21: Towson Tigers
22: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
25: Montana Grizzlies

Had to drop UNI as although I think they are a strong team, I cannot put a team without a DI win after 4 weeks in my poll.

I'm not arguing your placement of SHSU. I'm simply pointing out that you have a contradiction in your claimed poll logic. SHSU does not have a DI win.

BEAR
September 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Here was my go at it.

13: Cal Poly Mustangs
17: Towson Tigers
20: Northern Iowa Panthers
23: New Hampshire Wildcats

I would have put them #12 and #13 and been happy with either ahead of the other. It's hard to judge a team like Sam. I know UCA's problems and I know sometimes a loss like Sam took is THE motivator for winning streaks to occur. A wake up call sort of. Only problem with Sam is that last FBS game will most likely put them out of playoff contention..so do the rankings matter for Sam? I hope Sam stays ranked high so if my team is borderline playoffs this year, the commitee will see a strong win against a VERY GOOD and highly ranked Sam team that scheduled itself out of the playoffs.

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Its amazing how much weight the Montana name carries......I think NAU may be a top 25 team but lets take a closer look. They were dismantled by an FBS school in week one and eeked out a win against UNLV which is without a doubt one of the worst FBS teams in the country. They picked up another win against a DII and now beat Montana which catapulted them into the top 25.

I am one of those weirdos who actually likes Montana....probably my favorite team outside of Cal Poly but lets be honest here. Given what we have seen of Montana this year, how good are they? Good enough to beat USD and Liberty and not good enough to beat NAU or App St. So how many other teams are there that you beat at 2-2 that catapult you into the top 25? Another question how many other teams with Montana's resume are in the top 25? The correct answer is 0.

How bout we take a look at North Dakota....

North Dakota went on the road to beat Sac St.....they went on the road and beat Portland State. They absolutely dismantled a DII in week one and were a few good bounces of the ball from 4-0 at San Diego St. Yet somehow North Dakota doesn't show up in the top 25 on any poll.

putter
September 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
6: Northern Iowa Panthers
8: Sam Houston State Bearkats
9: James Madison Dukes
13: Towson Tigers
14: Stony Brook Seawolves
16: Central Arkansas Bears
20: Albany Great Danes
22: North Dakota
25: Samford Bulldogs

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Its amazing how much weight the Montana name carries......I think NAU may be a top 25 team but lets take a closer look. They were dismantled by an FBS school in week one and eeked out a win against UNLV which is without a doubt one of the worst FBS teams in the country. They picked up another win against a DII and now beat Montana which catapulted them into the top 25.

I am one of those weirdos who actually likes Montana....probably my favorite team outside of Cal Poly but lets be honest here. Given what we have seen of Montana this year, how good are they? Good enough to beat USD and Liberty and not good enough to beat NAU or App St. So how many other teams are there that you beat at 2-2 that catapult you into the top 25? Another question how many other teams with Montana's resume are in the top 25? The correct answer is 0.

North Dakota went on the road to beat Sac St.....they went on the road and beat Portland State. They absolutely dismantled a DII in week one and were a few good bounces of the ball from 4-0 at San Diego St. Yet somehow North Dakota doesn't show up in the top 25 on any poll.

They were at 25 in my last poll and moved up to 23 in my current poll. SOS so far though hasn't helped them and they have virtually no History or proven ability ie. Montana to be a top tier team at this level yet on a consistent basis. So while I am somewhat making your point about who they have played or not played compared to Montana I did place them but I they have a long way to go to move up and need to prove it against better competition. Couple that with the swiss cheese defense they have shown in several games against not so stellar competition and there are some serious question marks. Not to mention but there are a lot of bubble teams that could easily be placed in that 20-25 range with similar arguments.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
ODU was a clear miss on my part. I had them #5 last week. Montana has to win a game against a ranked opponent just once this year to make it back in and NAU is on my waiting list.

You have Montana in. You left a team that beat them in Missoula OUT.

putter
September 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Alum, it really depends. The first half against NAU was a fine tuned machine. They moved the ball at will and kept NAU in check. If that team can show up for a full game they are deserving of a high ranking. 2nd half, No real adjustments and they folded when the 'Jacks got on a roll - that team is my #23 in the nation. Why are they still ranked in my poll? I still see them as a young team that has the potential to be very good. If EWU dismantles them then they won't even get a vote from me and will have played themselves out of that ranking. Being in the lower 5th of the ranking is nothing to beat your chest at and the Montana name is done carrying them anywhere, at least for this year.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
you have ODU at 2 and UNH, a team it beat at home by 3 points in a 125 point game, 23 spots lower. UNH has lost to 4-0 (lolwtf at that) minnesota and ODU, and has two pretty solid d1 wins.

UNH got blown out by Minnesota ;)

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM

psu was at UND

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I know it's kind of trivial because it's among teams in the next 15, but I don't quite get what Lafayette has done to warrant 81 more votes than Villanova.

Lafayette is 3-0 this season with wins over William & Mary, Penn, and Bucknell. They haven't over powered any of these teams. Bucknell beat the pards in pretty much every offenseive category except for points. UPenn nearly doubled them in total yardage despite turning over the ball over a whopping 8 times. The only game they appeared to win "handily" was a 17-14 win over 0-4 William and Mary.
Meanwhile Villanova is 3-1 with wins over Fordham, Rhody, and Penn. Now while these wins don't scream SOS to anyone, at least the Cats have wons decisively. The same Penn team that Lafayette couldn't bury despite 8 turnovers the Cat's beat without bating an eyelash.

Just my very homer filled 2 cents. All in all it's a good looking poll for the most part, though I'm not so sure Sam Houston should still be that far up and why Northern Az hasn't cracked the Top 20. Another week will give better indicators on the those teams though.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
UNH got blown out by Minnesota ;)

yep, just like NAU was blown out by asu, only not nearly as badly

DSUrocks07
September 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
3: Illinois State Redbirds
7: Old Dominion Monarchs
10: Montana State Bobcats
11: Wofford Terriers
12: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
13: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Towson Tigers
19: New Hampshire Wildcats
20: Central Arkansas Bears
22: Sam Houston State Bearkats

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Understanding that I'd have to surrender my sweet "Poll Perfection" button for next year, I'd decided to wait a few weeks and get a better grasp on who teams truly are before beginning to vote in the poll. I'll be joining next week, so everyone can have a chance to rip into me then... Looking forward to it!

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Here was my stab at the polls.

6: Sam Houston State Bearkats
8: Eastern Washington Eagles
11: Northern Iowa Panthers
13: Towson Tigers
14: The Citadel Bulldogs
16: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
22: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 02:48 PM
It's kind of ironic...prior to the season everyone noted that Cal Poly had the easy road to the playoffs because Montana and MSU were not on the schedule. As it turns out, Montana may not be the Montana of years past and North Dakota and NAU may not be either, EWU, UND and NAU are all on Cal Poly's schedule (EWU is non-conference). The Big Sky is looking to be the meat grinder that many thought it might be.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM

MVFC occupying the 1st 3 spots and 1-3 UNI at #8? That's like the anti-ECB!

Hambone
September 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I'm not arguing your placement of SHSU. I'm simply pointing out that you have a contradiction in your claimed poll logic. SHSU does not have a DI win.

Duly noted - for some reason I totally overlooked that - I'm an idiot :)

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Well that takes the cake....even Darell has UND behind NAU?!?!?! I'll give up now

dbackjon

UNLV is not a good team, but not a horrid team either.
They lost in OT to 4-0 Minnesota (same Minnesota that curb-stomped UNH)
They beat Air Force

UND should be in as well, IMHO

darell1976
It's kind of ironic...prior to the season everyone noted that Cal Poly had the easy road to the playoffs because Montana and MSU were not on the schedule. As it turns out, Montana may not be the Montana of years past and North Dakota and NAU may not be either, EWU, UND and NAU are all on Cal Poly's schedule (EWU is non-conference). The Big Sky is looking to be the meat grinder that many thought it might be.

And UND is going to have a ranked team for the next 5 weeks (if NAU and UM stay in it). I still think for Cal Poly not playing the Montana's is very helpful.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
yep, just like NAU was blown out by asu, only not nearly as badly

Yup, NAU lost badly first game, rebounded for a nice win over UNLV, who had taken Minnesota to OT previous week.

Game, Set, Match NAU ;)

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
UNLV is not a good team, but not a horrid team either.
They lost in OT to 4-0 Minnesota (same Minnesota that curb-stomped UNH)
They beat Air Force

UND should be in as well, IMHO

Maybe I overstated that a bit.....I agree for the most part, UNLV has had some success but I think it goes without saying that hey are a weaker FBS squad (BTW so is Wyoming)....I was just looking at resumes and noting that UND's and NAU's were similar.

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
And UND is going to have a ranked team for the next 5 weeks (if NAU and UM stay in it). I still think for Cal Poly not playing the Montana's is very helpful.

well.....Ill tell you how I feel about that after the game this Saturday....

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yup, NAU lost badly first game, rebounded for a nice win over UNLV, who had taken Minnesota to OT previous week.

Game, Set, Match NAU ;)

Beating UNLV is kind of like beat UNM or Wyoming..eh..it's good but probably every other team in the top 25 could beat UNLV or UNM.

You keep saying that Minnesota is 4-0, but look at who they beat. UNH, Syracuse (1-3..only win is vs Stony Brook) Western Michigan (2-2..one win against Eastern Illinois) and UNLV a team who is 1-3.

I mean, UNLV lost to Wazzou who lost to Colorado who lost to Sacramento State for crying out loud, and Sac State got taken to the woodshed by UND

That's not much to brag about.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Beating UNLV is kind of like beat UNM or Wyoming..eh..it's good but probably every other team in the top 25 could beat UNLV or UNM.

You keep saying that Minnesota is 4-0, but look at who they beat. UNH, Syracuse (1-3..only win is vs Stony Brook) Western Michigan (2-2..one win against Eastern Illinois) and UNLV a team who is 1-3.

I mean, UNLV lost to Wazzou who lost to Colorado who lost to Sacramento State for crying out loud, and Sac State got taken to the woodshed by UND

Don't confuse my arguments with facts ;)

Let's focus on how weak a schedule ODU has played

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I mean, UNLV lost to Wazzou who lost to Colorado who lost to Sacramento State for crying out loud.

It's kind of comical how excited Gopher fans are about the 4-0 start. They're just so used to losing to everything they play it doesn't matter for them that they haven't beaten a team worth anything yet. They're pumped about being atop the Big Ten retarded-name-number-2 division yet the Sagarin rankings still have them below NDSU.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Don't confuse my arguments with facts ;)

Let's focus on how weak a schedule ODU has played

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Couldn't agree more. Anybody that sticks to their guns on what any preseason poll had and does not give the most weight to what is actually happening on the field is doing a real disservice to their poll and the gorup's poll.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
2: Old Dominion Monarchs
4: Wofford Terriers
9: Sam Houston State Bearkats
11: Northern Iowa Panthers
12: Albany Great Danes
13: Illinois State Redbirds
14: Towson Tigers
17: Stony Brook Seawolves
18: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
20: Cal Poly Mustangs
21: Central Arkansas Bears
23: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
25: Eastern Kentucky Colonels

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I can't see how Harvard can be way down at #30 given their dominating win last weekend at Brown. Didn't anyone see RB Treavor Scales' performance? And - not a single vote from anyone for Cornell and QB Jeff Matthews (829 yards in 2 games)? Wasn't anyone watching NBC Sports on Saturday afternoon? All Ivy doubters had a chance to watch these teams in glorious HD.

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I can't see how Harvard can be way down at #30 given their dominating win last weekend at Brown. Didn't anyone see RB Treavor Scales' performance? And - not a single vote from anyone for Cornell and QB Jeff Matthews (829 yards in 2 games)? Wasn't anyone watching NBC Sports on Saturday afternoon? All Ivy doubters had a chance to watch these teams in glorious HD.

I saw they were going to be on but missed most of Saturday's action overall. Definitely disappointed but let us know when they are back on there!!!

bobcathpdevil56
September 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM

really not happy with this poll. In my top 10 from last week there were several teams I wanted to drop a little (shsu, sbu, uni), or stay in place (the citadel) and noone I really wanted to jump up, aside from uca. Instead several teams moved up despite being underwhelming (cit, gsu, odu). NAU, layfayette, and maine round out the teams just outside.

On second attempt, app would be around 17, delaware, wofford and albany a few spots higher, the citadel around 8th.

Wow, three undefeated teams behind a 1-3 team. Pretty bad poll

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
And I agree with the points about Northern Arizona. There was a lot of knee-jerk reaction to bump up Illinois State up for beating a really crappy FBS team. So after NAU beats a UNLV team that looks improved and wins in Missoula they are in the 20s?

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Couldn't agree more. Anybody that sticks to their guns on what any preseason poll had and does not give the most weight to what is actually happening on the field is doing a real disservice to their poll and the gorup's poll.

I struggled with the amount of movement I had in my poll this week but did it anyway. There was no way I could keep some of the teams either in the poll at all or upwards of the top given what they have done this year. My poll has changed drastically from my preseason poll.

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
It's kind of comical how excited Gopher fans are about the 4-0 start. They're just so used to losing to everything they play it doesn't matter for them that they haven't beaten a team worth anything yet. They're pumped about being atop the Big Ten retarded-name-number-2 division yet the Sagarin rankings still have them below NDSU.

They are excited because they don't have to face NDSU this year.xlolx

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Well that takes the cake....even Darell has UND behind NAU?!?!?! I'll give up now

I figure NAU's win over Montana was bigger than UND's win over Sac State. If or should I say whenxsmiley_wix UND beats Cal Poly...they will be up there in the polls.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 03:40 PM

I watched both games...and came away unimpressed by all four TEAMS! Individual players...definitely impressive.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Harvard's been in my poll every week. Cornell's Top 25 appearance will have to wait until we know how good Fordham is, or how bad Yale is.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I struggled with the amount of movement I had in my poll this week but did it anyway. There was no way I could keep some of the teams either in the poll at all or upwards of the top given what they have done this year. My poll has changed drastically from my preseason poll.

Here's the thing. It's tough, but we all have to admit we were wrong on some teams at some point in the year or we look like fools in weeks 6-11 and the fact is we will have to admit that we were the same amount of wrong whether it be late or early.

It's only a matter of do you feel better about it by spreading it out incrementally or just admitting it early and moving forward?

The preseason guesses are great to have as a start point and a discussion thing but it is only a guess so I feel better using real data as early as possible and using my preseason guess to temper how much a loss should mean in dropping a team.

cpalum
September 24th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I figure NAU's win over Montana was bigger than UND's win over Sac State. If or should I say whenxsmiley_wix UND beats Cal Poly...they will be up there in the polls.

Darell UND is a very good team this year.....amazing passing game. The defense looks to be the weaker link and I can only hope that Cal Poly will exploit that liability. If Poly can limit UND's passing attack and score early they have a chance but I have a hard time seeing them pulling the W if they get behind. Cal Poly will need to control the ball on offense and limit UND possessions; they are capable but with UND at home this is going to be a very tough game for the Mustangs.

Squealofthepig
September 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
xoopsx

Missed voting for the first time in years. DANG IT!

:o

At least all three of "my teams" (Cal Poly, Duquesne, and Butler) won last week.

Hey, I did the same - I filled out my ballot, ate breakfast, and never hit submit. Oops.

And who's voting for the Griz? Seriously. 9 turnovers in their 2 losses is not the hallmark of a top 25 team.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Here's the thing. It's tough, but we all have to admit we were wrong on some teams at some point in the year or we look like fools in weeks 6-11 and the fact is we will have to admit that we were the same amount of wrong whether it be late or early.

It's only a matter of do you feel better about it by spreading it out incrementally or just admitting it early and moving forward?

The preseason guesses are great to have as a start point and a discussion thing but it is only a guess so I feel better using real data as early as possible and using my preseason guess to temper how much a loss should mean in dropping a team.

No disagreement there my friend. I've just tried very hard to take one week at a time and not punish or reward anyone team so much that it skews my poll based on just one game. Hence my comments earlier last week about not moving teams so dramatically from one week to the next. Its certainly a tough (but fun) job to try your best to put out a poll based on overall performance not just one game. Obviously early polling you don't have much to base it on except either last year (in the case of the preseason) and a limited amount of games early season. But it's still fun and I do not just throw darts at a dartboard. I've learned plenty about the rest of the FCS but still have a ways to go. I do give more credence to the AGS poll though than the other polls such as the coaches poll. I truly think most voters here take the poll seriously and don't either homer vote or slap something together in a few minutes. I take my time and do my best to look at results of all the teams playing along with who they have already played ect to come up with hopefully a realistic poll. Well anyway I'm sure many would find faults in mine but either way I enjoy the hell out of it.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
No disagreement there my friend. I've just tried very hard to take one week at a time and not punish or reward anyone team so much that it skews my poll based on just one game. Hence my comments earlier last week about not moving teams so dramatically from one week to the next. Its certainly a tough (but fun) job to try your best to put out a poll based on overall performance not just one game. Obviously early polling you don't have much to base it on except either last year (in the case of the preseason) and a limited amount of games early season. But it's still fun and I do not just throw darts at a dartboard. I've learned plenty about the rest of the FCS but still have a ways to go. I do give more credence to the AGS poll though than the other polls such as the coaches poll. I truly think most voters here take the poll seriously and don't either homer vote or slap something together in a few minutes. I take my time and do my best to look at results of all the teams playing along with who they have already played ect to come up with hopefully a realistic poll. Well anyway I'm sure many would find faults in mine but either way I enjoy the hell out of it.

Yup, sounds like our philosophy on the poll is pretty similar. You do learn way more about FCS as a whole by voting and discussing than you ever could by just reading on here. Hell, even if you get the piss beat out of ya on these threads you learn something.xlolx

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Darell UND is a very good team this year.....amazing passing game. The defense looks to be the weaker link and I can only hope that Cal Poly will exploit that liability. If Poly can limit UND's passing attack and score early they have a chance but I have a hard time seeing them pulling the W if they get behind. Cal Poly will need to control the ball on offense and limit UND possessions; they are capable but with UND at home this is going to be a very tough game for the Mustangs.

I think Sac State thought the same thing then UND turned to RB's Mitch Sutton 23 for 162 and 3TD's and Jake Miller 7 for 73 yds. UND had 43 carries for 294 yds. So they kept Marcus Hendrickson to only 147 yards in the air, UND got its run game going....and killed them.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2012, 04:19 PM
2: Youngstown State Penguins- could easly be my #1
3: Old Dominion Monarchs- Good teams win games. My poll changes every week, so I can drop if needed.
4: Illinois State Redbirds- Top 3 from the MVFC didn't seem right
5: The Citadel Bulldogs- not sure what Sat showed us
6: Cal Poly Mustangs- Maybe a little high? Still early.
7: Georgia Southern Eagles- Given the Citadel's early performance, doesn't seem like a bad loss.
8: Montana State Bobcats- Still not sold, but who has that good of a resume?
9: Appalachian State Mountaineers- ????
10: Stony Brook Seawolves- Saturday really confused me on SB. Chalk it up to a rough game. Got the W
11: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks- Hard to win in Missoula, even if this Griz team is down.
12: Central Arkansas Bears-either UCA continues to improve or SHSU fell off a lot.
13: James Madison Dukes- Hard to say so far
14: Eastern Washington Eagles- Pretty obvious
15: Samford Bulldogs- 4-0
16: Albany Great Danes- Not sure if Sat says more about Albany or Maine
17: Wofford Terriers- Not sure
18: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens- poor schedule. We'll see more against UNH (I think??)
19: New Hampshire Wildcats- ???
20: Northern Iowa Panthers- Probably a Top 10 team. Terrible schedule killed them. Only FCS loss is Top 3 in most polls.
21: Montana Grizzlies-???
22: Sam Houston State Bearkats- Not showing me much so far....luckily no one else was
23: South Dakota State Jackrabbits- best of what was left
24: North Dakota- so far so good?
25: Lehigh- unimpressed, but undefeated.

McNeese fell out. Didn't feel like that was a game they should lose. Maybe I overreacted?

ngineer
September 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM

No Lehigh? I can understand the variations I have seen on the various polls, but to not be listed at all would seem to be an oversight.

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 04:27 PM
McNeese fell out. Didn't feel like that was a game they should lose. Maybe I overreacted?

From what I've heard from the McNeese camp on here, it sounds like they've been just decimated by injuries. I put them at 25, but that might be a reach, because supposedly they have lost a lot of talent.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM
5: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: Cal Poly Mustangs
8: Old Dominion Monarchs
9: Stony Brook Seawolves
10: Albany Great Danes
12: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
14: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
15: New Hampshire Wildcats
17: Indiana State Sycamores
18: Sam Houston State Bearkats
20: Lafayette Leopards
21: Montana State Bobcats
23: McNeese State Cowboys
24: Georgia Southern Eagles

Have at it.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Your 1-4 is phenominal. ;)

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Have at it.

Not picking at your poll just a honest question. Did you have SDSU in your poll last week? 12 seems a tad high don't you think????

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
And I agree with the points about Northern Arizona. There was a lot of knee-jerk reaction to bump up Illinois State up for beating a really crappy FBS team. So after NAU beats a UNLV team that looks improved and wins in Missoula they are in the 20s?

Great point - NAU's body of work is probably better than Illinois State's

Dayton = Ft. Lewis
UNLV >>> Eastern Michigan
Montana >>>>> than either EIU or WIU

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Seriously though, what has either ODU or Illinois State done to warrant such a high ranking?

Ginsbach
September 24th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I was out of civilization this weekend, so I didn't get to catch any games. Didn't feel right to vote this week being uniformed. I'm looking forward to voting next week, though.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Not picking at your poll just a honest question. Did you have SDSU in your poll last week? 12 seems a tad high don't you think????

Yes. SDSU was #18. SDSU moved up more by other teams deficencies than merit, they did move up some on merit however.

UNI, Mcneese, ISU-b, Maine, SHSU all inflated SDSU's ranking by falling behind SDSU.

They moved up 1 spot by merit, and froggered 5 teams into #12

Engineer86
September 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM

You must have watched the ODU game this week.xlolx Actually I still have them ranked but I am shocked they stayed so high after watching most of the ODU-UNH game. I thought ODU's D looked terrible.

Walkon79
September 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Have at it.

Montana State not even in the top 20, really?

fatmonarch
September 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Seriously though, what has either ODU or Illinois State done to warrant such a high ranking?

We have the best offense in FCS. Plus we are 4-0 with all D1 wins.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Have at it.

Finally some reason! Lafayette and Lehigh are mostly equal at this point, and I don't even have them ranked. I also have Montana State low... 12 I believe.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Best offense because you are good, or because you have played four crappy defenses?

Campbell <<<< DII teams NAU plays.
Hampton - sucks this year
Duquense - mediocre
UNH - horrid defense.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM
No Lehigh? I can understand the variations I have seen on the various polls, but to not be listed at all would seem to be an oversight.

They are not listed in mine. xnodx

Engineer86
September 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Wow, three undefeated teams behind a 1-3 team. Pretty bad poll

Three? More like 5 or 6.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Looks like we were watching the same thing. I was impressed with both Harvard and Brown. Harvard has been in my T25 since preseason, though at 25 now. Not sure about Cornell yet... lost to Fordham and it's early. If I vote for them, they are going to have to start dominating everyone starting now, or wait until the end of the season as a one-two loss team.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Montana State not even in the top 20, really?

Yeah really. :)

3 15 25 23 21 MSU's rankings in my polls over the weeks.

Engineer86
September 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
2: Youngstown State Penguins- could easly be my #1
3: Old Dominion Monarchs- Good teams win games. My poll changes every week, so I can drop if needed.
4: Illinois State Redbirds- Top 3 from the MVFC didn't seem right
5: The Citadel Bulldogs- not sure what Sat showed us
6: Cal Poly Mustangs- Maybe a little high? Still early.
7: Georgia Southern Eagles- Given the Citadel's early performance, doesn't seem like a bad loss.
8: Montana State Bobcats- Still not sold, but who has that good of a resume?
9: Appalachian State Mountaineers- ????
10: Stony Brook Seawolves- Saturday really confused me on SB. Chalk it up to a rough game. Got the W
11: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks- Hard to win in Missoula, even if this Griz team is down.
12: Central Arkansas Bears-either UCA continues to improve or SHSU fell off a lot.
13: James Madison Dukes- Hard to say so far
14: Eastern Washington Eagles- Pretty obvious
15: Samford Bulldogs- 4-0
16: Albany Great Danes- Not sure if Sat says more about Albany or Maine
17: Wofford Terriers- Not sure
18: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens- poor schedule. We'll see more against UNH (I think??)
19: New Hampshire Wildcats- ???
20: Northern Iowa Panthers- Probably a Top 10 team. Terrible schedule killed them. Only FCS loss is Top 3 in most polls.
21: Montana Grizzlies-???
22: Sam Houston State Bearkats- Not showing me much so far....luckily no one else was
23: South Dakota State Jackrabbits- best of what was left
24: North Dakota- so far so good?
25: Lehigh- unimpressed, but undefeated.

I won't argue Lehigh has not been impressive, but I look up to 15 and see Samford... Really? At least be consistent in treating teams that have not played much to date.

Grizalltheway
September 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM

I personally think they're ranked too high, and even with all of my personal bias against them, saying they aren't at least top 20 is absurd.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM

and it was, they were in one of the first revisions, but apparent got lost.

Engineer86
September 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM
They are not listed in mine. xnodx

No surprise there. You actually think a 7 point win getting 7 turnovers is a good win.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
No surprise there. You actually think a 7 point win getting 7 turnovers is a good win.

With our back-up QB and Frankosaurus offense? Yes... Notre Dame had six INTs against Michigan and only won by 7. And they are ranked #10.

Engineer86
September 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
With our back-up QB and Frankosaurus offense? Yes... Notre Dame had six INTs against Michigan and only won by 7. And they are ranked #10.

They sure would not be in your poll.xlolx

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Great point - NAU's body of work is probably better than Illinois State's

Dayton = Ft. Lewis
UNLV >>> Eastern Michigan
Montana >>>>> than either EIU or WIU

Seriously dude. There's not getting the respect you deserve, being a homer, and then there's just being on drugs/off your meds.

Dayton, though a PFL team, beat RMU. Fort Lewis hasn't won a game (not counting an exhibition) and didn't SCORE their 1st 2 games.
UNLV is probably equal to Eastern Mich
Montana>>>>>EIU ?? I don't know who'd win, but EIU beat SIU (at least comparable to USD) and lost by 3 in OT on the road to ISU-R(better than losing to App St by 8) so to say UM is >>>>> than EIU seems to be an exaggeration, though for each additional ">" I equate to "much", i.e. you are stating UM is much, much, much, much better than EIU, which may not have been what you meant.

CopperCat
September 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM

If you guys find a defense you will be unstoppable.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I won't argue Lehigh has not been impressive, but I look up to 15 and see Samford... Really? At least be consistent in treating teams that have not played much to date.

Apparently I valued Lehigh's opponents as better? Too busy to look right now. :)

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Have at it.

I know Quincy was a tough team, but Indiana State at 17? Lafayette's wins are against a combined record of 1-8. Also curious about the comparison between the Citadel and Stony Brook?

fatmonarch
September 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Best offense because you are good, or because you have played four crappy defenses?

Duquense - mediocre
UNH - horrid defense.

Statistically, we have the best offense in FCS. Last year, we had the #5 offense in FCS. Our offense last year doesn't even compare to this years offense.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 07:50 PM

#3 preseason. Beat otherwise undefeated D-II Chadron State 33-6. Not super impressive, ok. Drop 12
#15 - struggled on road against Drake, winning by 10. Drake lost by only 17 @ISU-b, your #17 team. Drop 10
#25 - win by 8 against then-ranked SFA, who though 1-3, losses are to 2 FBS and MSU. Up 2
#23 - blowout win against traditionally bad UNC. Up 2.

4-0, but below SBU (2-1 in D-I), after their powerful 1 pt win over a toothpaste, 3-1 SDSU (wins over SE La, 4 pt win @ home over weak UC-D, and ranked ISU-b), 2-2 UNH (gave up 64 points to ODU, blown out by Minn and wins over winless HC and CCSU), 2-2 ISU-b (loss v. FBS UI, whose only wins are FCS/quasi-FCS, and SDSU; wins over winless D-II Quincy and an apparently awful Drake team (MSU dropped 10 spots remember), Lehigh (wins v Monmouth, @ winless CCSU, 3 pt win over winless Princeton, 2 pt win @ winless Liberty), and Lafayette (3pt win @ winless W&M, 7pt win v. winless Penn, 6 pt win at 1-2 Bucknell).

I think MSU has a case to be ranked ahead of all of the above and to not be in the top 20 with a 4-0 record is a travesty. At least you got 3 MVFC teams in the top 3 and half the conference in the top 17 xrolleyesx. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and it'll be settled on the field. xnodxxpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'm getting back on the Bobcats bandwagon after the last two weeks. After Drake I barely had them in the Top 20, this week they were #7. I'll be interested to see how the do against SUU.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I've noticed Twenty Six has a bias against Montana State and Georgia Southern. They are teams he consistently does not rank near where everyone else has them. He finds any reason he can to drop them. I don't know why, but these are things I have noticed.

I would like to argue for UNI's inclusion, but I know I can't. We are 1-3 with no D1 wins. He does, however, rank Indiana Sate 17th. Arguably we have a very similar resume to ISU. 1 non D1 win against a horrendous team. ISU does have a D1 win with Drake, but I think he is one of the people who was talking Drake down calling them a glorified D3 team. Then the loss to a horrible Big 10 team and we lose to 2 mid pack Big 10 teams. Also almost forgot. ISU lost to SDSU at home. UNI lost by 7 to the team he has ranked #2 at their place. I guess he values Indiana States win against Drake which is odd considering he does not value Montana State's win against Drake.

Oh well it is a poll in September.

crusader11
September 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Finally some reason! Lafayette and Lehigh are mostly equal at this point, and I don't even have them ranked. I also have Montana State low... 12 I believe.

Yup, agreed. Both of the L's look to be the best in the PL thus far. I have Lehigh at 20, and Lafayette at 21.

That being said, neither of these teams are beatable. Anyone's guess at this point who will win the PL...although I think my purple buddies are pretty close to being done. They really need to have an encouraging performance against Harvard on Friday.

DJnva
September 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Duquense - mediocre
UNH - horrid defense.

Maybe those defenses look horrid because they played ODU. It's circular logic.

ODU was a top 10 team last year, brought most players back, and hasn't lost. Now, you may not agree with that logic in someone else's poll, but it's at least defensible.

For everyone so worried about ODU's schedule, relax--we get Towson, UD, and JMU this year, with 2 of them on the road. And if you think Heinicke is only putting up these numbers because the defenses suck, I don't know what to tell you. In 13 career games he must have faced 13 crappy defenses. To the tune of 44 TDs and 5 INTs.

narc
September 24th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe those defenses look horrid because they played ODU. It's circular logic.

ODU was a top 10 team last year, brought most players back, and hasn't lost. Now, you may not agree with that logic in someone else's poll, but it's at least defensible.

For everyone so worried about ODU's schedule, relax--we get Towson, UD, and JMU this year, with 2 of them on the road. And if you think Heinicke is only putting up these numbers because the defenses suck, I don't know what to tell you. In 13 career games he must have face 13 crappy defense. To the tune of 44 TDs and 5 INTs.

Villanova and Richmond won't be easy games either.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
#3 preseason. Beat otherwise undefeated D-II Chadron State 33-6. Not super impressive, ok. Drop 12
#15 - struggled on road against Drake, winning by 10. Drake lost by only 17 @ISU-b, your #17 team. Drop 10
#25 - win by 8 against then-ranked SFA, who though 1-3, losses are to 2 FBS and MSU. Up 2
#23 - blowout win against traditionally bad UNC. Up 2.

4-0, but below SBU (2-1 in D-I), after their powerful 1 pt win over a toothpaste, 3-1 SDSU (wins over SE La, 4 pt win @ home over weak UC-D, and ranked ISU-b), 2-2 UNH (gave up 64 points to ODU, blown out by Minn and wins over winless HC and CCSU), 2-2 ISU-b (loss v. FBS UI, whose only wins are FCS/quasi-FCS, and SDSU; wins over winless D-II Quincy and an apparently awful Drake team (MSU dropped 10 spots remember), Lehigh (wins v Monmouth, @ winless CCSU, 3 pt win over winless Princeton, 2 pt win @ winless Liberty), and Lafayette (3pt win @ winless W&M, 7pt win v. winless Penn, 6 pt win at 1-2 Bucknell).

I think MSU has a case to be ranked ahead of all of the above and to not be in the top 20 with a 4-0 record is a travesty. At least you got 3 MVFC teams in the top 3 and half the conference in the top 17 xrolleyesx. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and it'll be settled on the field. xnodxxpeacex

The mistakes you are making is basing your thoughts on the aggeragate poll then comparing them to mine, SFA has never been a top 25 team in my poll. So no, it wasn't a win against a ranked team.

SBU and Lafayette have been dropping, also more mistakes you are making. If MSU or any other team for that matter deserves a ranking, they will earn it over time.

Lafayette has been as high as #13, but has been dropping. Teams go up and down, as is the point of a poll.

How many touchdowns did non scholly drake put on you? 3? They picked up a butterfingers fumble for most of those right?

DJnva
September 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Villanova and Richmond won't be easy games either.

Granted, but I was just mentioning the ones everyone is ranking.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I've noticed Twenty Six has a bias against Montana State and Georgia Southern. They are teams he consistently does not rank near where everyone else has them. He finds any reason he can to drop them. I don't know why, but these are things I have noticed.

I would like to argue for UNI's inclusion, but I know I can't. We are 1-3 with no D1 wins. He does, however, rank Indiana Sate 17th. Arguably we have a very similar resume to ISU. 1 non D1 win against a horrendous team. ISU does have a D1 win with Drake, but I think he is one of the people who was talking Drake down calling them a glorified D3 team. Then the loss to a horrible Big 10 team and we lose to 2 mid pack Big 10 teams. Also almost forgot. ISU lost to SDSU at home. UNI lost by 7 to the team he has ranked #2 at their place. I guess he values Indiana States win against Drake which is odd considering he does not value Montana State's win against Drake.

Oh well it is a poll in September.

And you base this on what? They lost to an unranked off the radar team lmao. Both teams deserved their drop and they will earn their way back up the ladder like any other team would.

2: Sam Houston State Bearkats
3: Montana Grizzlies
4: Stony Brook Seawolves

Curious.

3: Northern Iowa Panthers
4: Georgia Southern Eagles
5: Sam Houston State Bearkats
6: Stony Brook Seawolves
7: James Madison Dukes
9: Maine Black Bears
12: New Hampshire Wildcats
13: William & Mary Tribe
14: Montana State Bobcats

I am sure you noticed ISU-b did not play drake in the way MSU did, you also noticed ISU-b's movement in all my polls, right? Yeah, I didn't think so.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
5: Montana State Bobcats
7: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
12: McNeese State Cowboys
13: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
14: Eastern Washington Eagles
16: Albany Great Danes
17: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
18: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
22: Central Arkansas Bears
23: Georgia Southern Eagles
24: Tennessee State Tigers
25: Samford Bulldogs

I've been lending more weight to D1 wins than strength of schedule for the most part, but I tried to incorporate SOS a bit more this week. In retrospect I think SDSU deserved some love, but they're a toss up against Samford thus far for me.

Fear the Bird
September 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Can someone please post the SHSU-UCA score bc this poll suggests every site I have checked is incorrect

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
iirc 24-20, UCA won regardless of score. I screamed pretty loudly at espn3 it was glorious. Their turf was not.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322662110

Espn agree's with my memory.

Man this site needs purple font lmao.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
And you base this on what? They lost to an unranked off the radar team lmao. Both teams deserved their drop and they will earn their way back up the ladder like any other team would.

2: Sam Houston State Bearkats
3: Montana Grizzlies
4: Stony Brook Seawolves

Curious.

3: Northern Iowa Panthers
4: Georgia Southern Eagles
5: Sam Houston State Bearkats
6: Stony Brook Seawolves
7: James Madison Dukes
9: Maine Black Bears
12: New Hampshire Wildcats
13: William & Mary Tribe
14: Montana State Bobcats

I am sure you noticed ISU-b did not play drake in the way MSU did, you also noticed ISU-b's movement in all my polls, right? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Okay so winning isn't good enough. On the road mind you. ISU beat Drake at home, and MSU beat them in Des Moines. That is not an apples to apples comparison. They both beat Drake, but you drop one 10 spots while the other just stays steady. ISU loses at home to SDSU and they literally move NOWHERE in your poll. Strange...

I was obviously wrong about where you had GSU, and I will admit that. I may have been confusing you with another one of the NDSU posters on that one.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I know Quincy was a tough team, but Indiana State at 17? Lafayette's wins are against a combined record of 1-8. Also curious about the comparison between the Citadel and Stony Brook?

Cit's in the process of moving on up, and SBU took a hit.

SBU dropped 5 slots, Cit stayed stationary at 11 after getting manhandled by NC State.

As the weeks progress the movements happen at a slower rate. I would guess your poll does the same thing, the chaos becomes more controlled.

ISU-b benefited by leap frogging 4 or so other teams that moved below them. Including Maine, mcneese, UNI, SHSU perhaps others.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Okay so winning isn't good enough. On the road mind you. ISU beat Drake at home, and MSU beat them in Des Moines. That is not an apples to apples comparison. They both beat Drake, but you drop one 10 spots while the other just stays steady. ISU loses at home to SDSU and they literally move NOWHERE in your poll. Strange...

I was obviously wrong about where you had GSU, and I will admit that. I may have been confusing you with another one of the NDSU posters on that one.

As the weeks progress the movements happen at a slower rate. I would guess your poll does the same thing, the chaos becomes more controlled.

ISU-b benefited by leap frogging 4 or so other teams that moved below them. Including Maine, mcneese, UNI, SHSU perhaps others.

That matchup was also #18 SDSU vs #17 ISU-b for me.

Montana State was losing in the 4th qtr. They were on the ropes. It also happened earlier in the season when their only other game was a win against whoever the **** chadron state is 33-6. Indiana State beat whoever the **** Quincy is by 44. Beat drake much more handily than home field advantage, was never on the ropes. And ISU-b had a game against a B10 team on the record.

The volatility of polls deminishes as the weeks pass.

narc
September 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Can someone please post the SHSU-UCA score bc this poll suggests every site I have checked is incorrect

+1

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM

That matchup was also #18 SDSU vs #17 ISU-b for me.

One last thing and I am done just because we aren't getting anywhere here. So you drop UNI for losing to the team you have ranked #2 on the road by a TD at the end of the game. However, you leave ISU at #17 after losing to a team you had them ranked higher than at home? You drop Maine behind ISU who lost to a team you had ranked 1 spot ahead of them. Do you not see the flawed logic here?

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM
One last thing and I am done just because we aren't getting anywhere here. So you drop UNI for losing to the team you have ranked #2 on the road by a TD at the end of the game. However, you leave ISU at #17 after losing to a team you had them ranked higher than at home? You drop Maine behind ISU who lost to a team you had ranked 1 spot behind them same as ISU. Do you not see the flawed logic here?

Got a little rhyme for ya.

1 and 3 - Blame the AD
1 and 3 - Blame the AD
1 and 3 - Blame the AD

come on, bet you can get the whole UNIDump to chant that out on Saturday. I'll be there to start it.

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Got a little rhyme for ya.

1 and 3 - Blame the AD
1 and 3 - Blame the AD
1 and 3 - Blame the AD

come on, bet you can get the whole UNIDump to chant that out on Saturday. I'll be there to start it.

Honestly I have stated before we don't deserve to be ranked. I am just showing how flawed his logic is with leaving ISU at 17 while sliding other teams down.

Plus why would I blame the AD. If anything we blame the Board of Regents for forcing his hand. Or we blame the conference for giving us YSU and NDSU as our first two conference games. Or do we blame West Virginia for joining the Big XII meaning they no longer have FSU on the schedule and so we get Central State at the last minute instead of Savannah State. Either way it is a tough season and if we do make the playoffs it would make it that much more rewarding than playing cupcakes.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM
One last thing and I am done just because we aren't getting anywhere here. So you drop UNI for losing to the team you have ranked #2 on the road by a TD at the end of the game. However, you leave ISU at #17 after losing to a team you had them ranked higher than at home? You drop Maine behind ISU who lost to a team you had ranked 1 spot ahead of them. Do you not see the flawed logic here?

UNI is out because they have 0 DI wins and 3 losses at this point, SHSU would be out too except they are at 0 2 for DI games. They can easily work their way back in. Ill let you have Maine, should they win against Villanova barring a ridiculous week they will be ranked. Should they lose, I make no promises, Maine may make the correction for me.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
The mistakes you are making is basing your thoughts on the aggeragate poll then comparing them to mine, SFA has never been a top 25 team in my poll. So no, it wasn't a win against a ranked team.

Ok. SFA wasn't ranked. I have no problem with that. Yet you had SDSU ranked 18th last week (post 117) due to what.... the win over 1-3 SE La, or the 4 pt win over UC-D, or high expectation from last year's 5-6 team?

SBU and Lafayette have been dropping, also more mistakes you are making. If MSU or any other team for that matter deserves a ranking, they will earn it over time.

Not really a mistake I'm making. How high did you have SBU and Lafayette that they are still #9 and #20, respectively, and how much did you knock THEM for bad games (L to Syracuse, 1 pt win at home to 1 win Colgate, for SBU; not one winning margin over 1 score against 3 teams w/ 1 combined win for Lafayette). To me, a 1pt win @ home over Colgate automatically knocks you from the top 10. As for MSU earning their ranking over time, luckily it won't come down to your opinion. :)

Lafayette has been as high as #13, but has been dropping. Teams go up and down, as is the point of a poll.

You gotta be kidding me. As high as #13 based on WHAT? Their 4-7 record last year, or not beating ANY opponent by more than 7, regardless of quality?

It's early in the year, just trying to figure out your methodology.xthumbsupx

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Yup, agreed. Both of the L's look to be the best in the PL thus far. I have Lehigh at 20, and Lafayette at 21.

That being said, neither of these teams are beatable. Anyone's guess at this point who will win the PL...although I think my purple buddies are pretty close to being done. They really need to have an encouraging performance against Harvard on Friday.

I have both L's in as well. Lehigh a bit higher...Lafayette right around your spot.

HensRock
September 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
What has ODU done to deserve a #3 ranking?
JMU at #5? Why?

Northern Iowa at #15?

+1 +1 +1

crusader11
September 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have both L's in as well. Lehigh a bit higher...Lafayette right around your spot.

Albany checked in at #19...ahead of the L's.

CopperCat
September 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure twentysix is not a poll expert, nor does he vote in the FBS polls. The result on the field will speak for itself.

ngineer
September 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM

How many touchdowns did non scholly drake put on you? 3? They picked up a butterfingers fumble for most of those right?

Huh?????????????????

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Huh?????????????????

It's a comparison of underdog bias. Some teams get violently dropped (Georgia Southern for losing to Citadel) (Montana State for beating Drake) Some teams don't. (Stony Brook for barely beating Colgate at home.) If it's a big name team, then if they're not winning by 70, then they should be dropped. However, if it's not a big name team then they should be rewarded for winning teams that were given an arbitrary rating. (indiana state for beating Quincy and beating Drake by just 17 at home and yet ranked 17) I'm surprised all MVFC teams weren't ranked if ISU-b was that high. It's an arrogant attention based poll. Simple as that.

MSUBobcat
September 25th, 2012, 12:22 AM
It's a comparison of underdog bias. Some teams get violently dropped (Georgia Southern for losing to Citadel) (Montana State for beating Drake) Some teams don't. (Stony Brook for barely beating Colgate at home.) If it's a big name team, then if they're not winning by 70, then they should be dropped. However, if it's not a big name team then they should be rewarded for winning teams that were given an arbitrary rating. (indiana state for beating Quincy and beating Drake by just 17 at home and yet ranked 17) I'm surprised all MVFC teams weren't ranked if ISU-b was that high. It's an arrogant attention based poll. Simple as that.

xoutofrepxxbowx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 25th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Statistically, we have the best offense in FCS. Last year, we had the #5 offense in FCS. Our offense last year doesn't even compare to this years offense.

Oddly, you just compared them.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM
5: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
6: The Citadel Bulldogs
11: Cal Poly Mustangs
12: Stony Brook Seawolves
14: Eastern Washington Eagles
16: Albany Great Danes
17: Georgia Southern Eagles
18: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
19: Eastern Illinois Panthers
20: New Hampshire Wildcats
21: Tennessee State Tigers
22: Northern Iowa Panthers
24: Towson Tigers
25: Appalachian State Mountaineers

Delaware probably too high. We'll see how they do at UNH this week. UD could drop way back, UNH could drop out completely. Wasn't sure what to do with UNI. Montana and NAU both not included for plenty of reasons previously stated on this thread already.

Also, this year I have decided to completely not include Ivy League teams. If you don't play in the playoffs, what's the point? They want their own little league, so be it.

Dane96
September 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM

I think he was questioning Lafayette being high in ANY poll at the start of the year, i.e. that the poster was confused and wrote Lafayette instead of Lehigh.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Honestly I have stated before we don't deserve to be ranked. I am just showing how flawed his logic is with leaving ISU at 17 while sliding other teams down.

Plus why would I blame the AD. If anything we blame the Board of Regents for forcing his hand. Or we blame the conference for giving us YSU and NDSU as our first two conference games. Or do we blame West Virginia for joining the Big XII meaning they no longer have FSU on the schedule and so we get Central State at the last minute instead of Savannah State. Either way it is a tough season and if we do make the playoffs it would make it that much more rewarding than playing cupcakes.

There was a constant drumbeat on Bisonville to fill the empty spot on the schedule with Nebraska. I got into it with a couple of people who were thinking with their dicks instead of their head when they said "bring em on". I basically saw UNI's situation this year and thought no way do I want to be there.

As for the conference, I'm not sure what they were doing. Basically the top 3 are playing round robin in the first 3 weeks of the conference season but I'd rather be looking at those games at 4-0 with a solid game for our second teamers than a brutal 1-3.

MTfan4life
September 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I think he was questioning Lafayette being high in ANY poll at the start of the year, i.e. that the poster was confused and wrote Lafayette instead of Lehigh.

Well regardless of situation, just take my post as an observation of the aforementioned poll. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
September 25th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Impressive win indeed for the Crimson. I had them at #25.

ngineer
September 25th, 2012, 11:47 PM

Correct. I couldn't recall Laughyette being ranked either preseason or the first four weeks.

Walkon79
September 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM

And a whole bunch of MVFC Bias!

Engineer86
September 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM

At the same time, when it is time to drop a team, they will drop to just above then "underdog" team and when it is time to jump them up, they jump, again, just above the "underdog" team. This stuff hits both ways.