September 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
lets go

jmufan999
September 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM
lets go

Do you have any thoughts on the game?

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
UNH could really use this game. They can't afford a 3rd loss this early in the season, especially after the defensive performance from last week.

UNH Fanboi
September 24th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I give UNH a slight edge in this game, notwithstanding the terrible defensive performance against ODU.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I would have thought UNH before the season, but right now I give UD the edge. Their defense seems (key word - SEEMS) to be better and I think they win a close game here. Delaware appears to be getting better/stronger with each passing game.

jmufan999
September 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I really like UD to win this game. The way UNH lost on Saturday has to hurt. They have to rebound right away against a much better defense. I like UD by about 7-10.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Delaware has had some weird stuff happen to them in Durham, but I favor UD by about 5. Teams going in opposite directions right now.

henfan
September 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Weird stuff? What do you mean?

McCormick's kick is up and it's gooooo... no, no, wide right! Hens win!

Mattymc727
September 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I actually know very little about this years UD team. Any Hen fans want to give a scouting report? Is the defense as good as I remember? Id like to think UNH will be able to score, but will it be more than Deleware?

I honestly cant get a feel for this game at all. I would think UD should win because of UNH's terrible defense, but that UNH ODU game was so wild that I still cant get a feel for how good UNH is.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I actually know very little about this years UD team. Any Hen fans want to give a scouting report? Is the defense as good as I remember? Id like to think UNH will be able to score, but will it be more than Deleware?

I honestly cant get a feel for this game at all. I would think UD should win because of UNH's terrible defense, but that UNH ODU game was so wild that I still cant get a feel for how good UNH is.

Offense:
O-line started off spotty, but is improving. Still probably the weakest link on that side of the ball

QB - Hurley is accurate, has a strong arm, doesn't stop playing till the whistle, and can make a play happen with his feet.

RB - Both Pierce and Hayes should be all-CAA, Pierce maybe all American.

WR - lots of talent and experience. Only down one starter.

Defense:

D-line: Kerr dwarfs anyone else on the field, can handle two men at once with ease. The rest are mostly solid.

LBs - Massive losses due to injury. Seem to be beginning to gel.

Secondary - Lots of talent and experience. Breaker is an interception machine. Have played a bit hesitant early this season, but showed some nice aggression vs W&M.

Special Teams -

K - Baner may be the best kicker playing college ball at any level.

P - Zaragoza's rugby style punts can give returners fits.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I heard UNH had 2-3 defensive injuries against ODU. Jared Smith, Chris Beranger and a reserve LB? Any updates on their status for this week?

ngineer
September 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Durham not an easy place to win for the visitor, but I see UD pulling this one out. Wildcat's lack of defense against ODU troubling, and I would think Hens will score frequently.

Mattymc727
September 24th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I heard UNH had 2-3 defensive injuries against ODU. Jared Smith, Chris Beranger and a reserve LB? Any updates on their status for this week?

Those players did get injured, along with DE Randi Vines, who looked like his knee gave out on him again after he was out with knee problems. The loss of Smith hurts, he was the best (and only senior) in the dline rotation. Beranger is also a big loss. No idea yet whether any of them are going to be able to play yet. Coaches show is tonight

blukeys
September 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I think if UD can make their foul shots at the end of the game, they will be fine. They also have to keep their big folks out of foul trouble. Elena will get her points regardless of how UNH defends her. Just my two cents. xsmiley_wix

bleedblue
September 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I think UD is up 7 with 3:00 left on clock and then the UNH magic happens and they pull one out late. I just have a bad feeling we will be up late and still lose. Hope I'm wrong!!!

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM

I do....have some patience :D

WrenFGun
September 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I give UNH a slight edge in this game, notwithstanding the terrible defensive performance against ODU.

Notwithstanding!!? That's like saying the Red Sox are having a good season notwithstanding about 110 games this year.

Ud1Hens
September 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Who is UNH's backup QB? I only ask because all UD does it bring out the best in UNH's backups...Those Santos and Toman games still keep me up at night.

State Line Liquors
September 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM
UNH's defense isn't nearly as bad as they played against ODU (and by the way, the same goes for ODU's defense), and UD's going to have a very difficult time duplicating their performance from the W&M road trip. Hens are probably feeling their oats after the win in Williamsburg, and UNH has their backs against the wall. Just going down the statistics on the CAA Football sight, it looks like a VERY evenly matched game. Keeler's 1-1 in road trips to UNH (3-3 overall versus UNH). Tubby was 1-2 against UNH with McDonnell as the coach.

This one is an absolute toss us, but given that it's up in Durham, I'm still leaning towards the Wildcats getting the W. But if the Hens do happen to get a W, and play some quality ball, look out CAA.

By the way, does it feel like our teams hardly every play each other? I feel like we play Navy more frequently than UNH.

blukeys
September 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
This will be a very tough game. However, UD has improved every week. The key for UD will be up front. The UD secondary and their skill players on offense are as good as it gets.

Mattymc727
September 24th, 2012, 08:12 PM
For UNH fans, we all thought the defense looked like it had improved this year. Then Saturday happened. UNH D did well in the frst half and just ran out of gas in the 90 degree heat and Heinecke cut em up. I can Guarantee it wont be 90 on saturday, and with UNH looking to prove what they can do, it might be a complete turnaround for UNH. I still am unsure of the outcome as of right now, but im leaning towards the Hens, I just have a bad taste in my mouth still.

Another thing to take note, is before Minny, Sean Goldrich was the starter at QB, and Andy Vailas had to come in after he got hurt. Goldrich is back this week and coach Mac did state that a starting player wont lose his spot because of injury. SO UD will have to gameplan for two QB's, although the system is the same so I cant imagine its that much stress.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I think if UD can make their foul shots at the end of the game, they will be fine. They also have to keep their big folks out of foul trouble. Elena will get her points regardless of how UNH defends her. Just my two cents. xsmiley_wix

Blookey's back!!!xbowxxawesomex

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM
16873.....HENS PERFORM POORLY....IN SMALL VENUES...UH NEW ENGLAND........DUH ABYSS O' RHODE ISLAND....AN' FORMER ABYSS.....NOR'EASTERN.....MAINE....WHERE PIGGY...IS OUT-DRAWN BAH DUH HOCKEY ARENA...LOBSTERAH TRAPPIN'......AN' ELK TIPPIN'..........IT'S WHERE DUH BLUE /YELLAH OFFENSES....DON'T GET OUTTAH LOW GEAR....DEFENSES....SUFFER FROM PLANE/BUS-LAG....IT'S DUH BERMUDAH TRIANGLE....UH CAA SPORTS..FO' DELAWARE........WILDCATS AN' HENS PUT UP BIG #'s...LAST WEEK....BILL & MARE...DONATED UH COUPLE SCORES...TA EASY BLUEHEN W....OL' DIMMY/'CAT....DEFENSES....TOOK DUH "NO SHOES...NO SHIRTS...NO PROBLEMS" APPROACH........DUH SYRUP IS READY FO' TAPPIN'.....AROMAH O' HOME COOKIN' WAFTS....COACH SEAN...CAN WORK UH ZEBRA.....LIKE UH BUS LOAD O' GUATEMALANS........KEELER IS DREAMIN' O' HIS..BUST...NEXT TA TUBBY/NELSON/MURRAY......SECOND ROADIE IN UH ROW.....COUPLE HIGHWAY-SCHOONER LOADS....UH PECKERHEADS..GOIN' NORFF......YOU-DEE HAS LIVED BAH DUH TURNOVERAH.......NO FREEBIES...AN' HENS HAVE QUIET RETURN HOME....GOIN' WHIFF BIG BLUE.....IN UH NAIL TRIMMIN'.....STEEL CAGE RUMBLE....HEY KEELER...HOPE YA SCHOOLED 'EM...IN DUH HOOK-IN-LADDER...STATUE O' LIBERTY....FUMBLE-ROO-SKI.....POINTS WILL BE..HARDER TA COME BAH...DAN ROMNEY VOTES.....16-13....CHICKENS.......xrotatehx.....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!

ODUalum78
September 24th, 2012, 11:27 PM
No team has even slowed the ODU offense down in the Taylor Heinicke era except for JMU last year in a freezing rain. Don't write off the UNH defense just yet. It is about matchups. Even GaSo couldn't stop us, and they had an otherwise stout defense last year.

Further, I think the Delaware defense is suspect. While the scoring defense looks good, in total defense they are 8th in the CAA against 3 cupcakes and a W&M team that has hardly been able to move the ball against anyone (9th in scoring and 10th in total offense).
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2012/confldrs.htm#conf.wtx

In fact, W&M had its highest point total to date against UD, and outgained the Hens in total yards.

UD @ UNH 24-41 Bad matchup for UD. UNH's #1 total rushing offense (CAA) vs UD's #7 total rushing defense. UNH can put up the points; both on the ground and in the air. Plus, UNH is at home.

pitpen
September 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM
No team has even slowed the ODU offense down in the Taylor Heinicke era except for JMU last year in a freezing rain. Don't write off the UNH defense just yet. It is about matchups. Even GaSo couldn't stop us, and they had an otherwise stout defense last year.

Further, I think the Delaware defense is suspect. While the scoring defense looks good, in total defense they are 8th in the CAA against 3 cupcakes and a W&M team that has hardly been able to move the ball against anyone (9th in scoring and 10th in total offense).
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2012/confldrs.htm#conf.wtx

In fact, W&M had its highest point total to date against UD, and outgained the Hens in total yards.

UD @ UNH 24-41 Bad matchup for UD. UNH's #1 total rushing offense (CAA) vs UD's #7 total rushing defense. UNH can put up the points; both on the ground and in the air. Plus, UNH is at home.

W&M was down 48-7 at one point. But I agree - let's look at the yardage.

ODUalum78
September 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM

In this case yardage is important, as UNH actually has "finishing moves"

I watched the W&M game.
Don't count on UNH supplying 4 turnovers and folding in the red zone. :D

State Line Liquors
September 25th, 2012, 05:05 AM
BW Webb's punt return late against 2nd and third stringers gives me some pause as well.

Mattymc727
September 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
UNH's ground game is a strong point this year, which hasnt been the case in years past. That will be an interesting matchup this wekend. WHats Ironic about the ODU game is, we wanted UNH to run the ball successfully so we could keep Heinecke off the field. Well, we ran the ball successfully, we racked up 389 yards....but somehow it didnt work....

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
UNH's ground game is a strong point this year, which hasnt been the case in years past. That will be an interesting matchup this wekend. WHats Ironic about the ODU game is, we wanted UNH to run the ball successfully so we could keep Heinecke off the field. Well, we ran the ball successfully, we racked up 389 yards....but somehow it didnt work....

That's because ODU's tackling was about as bad as I've seen in the three decades I've been watching FCS FB. Just absolutely abysmal. UNH ran alright but quickly put up scores. The drives tended not to be long, time-consuming efforts, which gave ODU the opportunity to get the ball back. Not much you can do about that except play defense.

I'd expect UNH to put up a better defensive effort vs. the Blue Hens this week.

Mattymc727
September 25th, 2012, 08:04 AM
That's because ODU's tackling was about as bad as I've seen in the three decades I've been watching FCS FB. Just absolutely abysmal. UNH ran alright but quickly put up scores. The drives tended not to be long, time-consuming efforts, which gave ODU the opportunity to get the ball back. Not much you can do about that except play defense.

And UNH will not be be scoring at the rate they were saturday, leaving the defense off the field a bit longer too

UNH Fanboi
September 25th, 2012, 08:16 AM
UNH is 27-3 at home since 2007. They had two losses to W&M and one loss to Northeastern.

ODUalum78
September 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM

No argument there. xconfusedx

blukeys
September 25th, 2012, 08:29 AM

I disagree. In a game where touchdowns are scored by the defense and special teams, offenses can't get yards that count in the stats. You can't drive for 80 yards if your special teams blocks a kick and runs it in from 93 yards out.

Laycock calls these TD's fluke plays. I disagree. Ortiz was pressured and gave up the ball. The UD d lineman caught it in the air and got the TD. UD has blocked 2 place kicks in 4 games. I guess that is dumb luck. xeyebrowx.

Until the day comes where return yardage gets included in total offense, the total offense/defense stat will just be a stat for losers to claim they were really better after losing by 20 points.

UNH72Plus
September 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Delaware's record (4-0) is misleading. Theybeat a D-II team and three FCS teams with a combined record of 2-9. They've had one good passing game (310 yards against D-II Westchester) and one good rushing game (225 yards against W&M) against a team that's ranked #93 in rushing defense in the FCS. Their total offense against FCS teams is a pedestrian 321 yards per game. Defensively they gave up 298 yards passing to Delaware State who had previously been averaging only 175 yards per game against a couple of mediocre FCS opponents.

The defensive injuries to UNH are worrisome, but it can't get any worse than last week.

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Delaware's record (4-0) is misleading.

I've got news for you: nearly every team's record is misleading at this early stage. FB teams develop (or not). All of the polls right now are garbage.

UD dominated the teams they should have, so there aren't many insightful take aways from the first 3 games. The Hens made huge strides last week vs. W&M on both the D and O lines. They'll need to get a little better against UNH if they expect to go 5-0. Tough challange ahead in Durham dealing with Sean's unpredictable offense, as is always the case.

WrenFGun
September 25th, 2012, 09:32 AM
No argument there. xconfusedx

Did you see UNH's tackling? Ugh. Fundamentals seemed completely lost on both sides.

HenZoneNation
September 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty happy with the UD team thus far. We knew early on we'd struggle with our Oline. We've made some changes and fixed some mistakes and they are getting better each week. They should be very good in the future. Our QB has been a great surprise. He struggled in the Spring and barely beat out last year's QB this summer but he is such an athletic kid. I really am going to enjoy watching him develop over the next few years. Our defense took some big hits to start the season but has obviously grown. Our secondary is very athletic and makes plays. We give up a lot of yardage but have stuck to the typical Delaware "bend but don't break," type of play. Our special teams are very, very good.

Much like on Gohens, I think people here fail to see that though the level of competition hasn't been the strongest, our smallest margin of victory has been 16 points. We have defeated and defeated soundly every team we've played. It hasn't been to liking of much of our fan base but who cares. That being said...UNH ALWAYS MAKES ME NERVOUS...that damn Santos still gives me nightmares. Looking forward to a great game. Go Hens.

bluehenbillk
September 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Is UNH really looking at potentially changing QB's this week? I saw the ODU game & thought Valias played well both running & throwing the ball.

I like what I see right now from UD - getting better every week on both sides of the ball & the kicking game - I said it first on gohens - I wouldn't trade Baner for any other kicker in all of college football.

AP has looked better every week too. Whatever hammy issue he had vs WCU & DSU looks to be completely gone.

Mattymc727
September 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Updates for UNH:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/357638/cats-lick-wounds-then-look-forward?SESS5704304165de2dc4a5e59ca70f07040e=googl e&page=full

Vailas starts, Beranger out, maybe for Smith and Vines. Carty should be back calling plays.

UD77
September 27th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Updates for UNH:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/357638/cats-lick-wounds-then-look-forward?SESS5704304165de2dc4a5e59ca70f07040e=googl e&page=full

Vailas starts, Beranger out, maybe for Smith and Vines. Carty should be back calling plays.

And stealing our signs again. Hopefully all is well for Ryan - very good guy.

caribbeanhen
September 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM

I think Delaware is the better team on a neutral field
I think the Hen's are prone to laying eggs when they travel north
I think UNH should have beat Montana State last year
I think Carty might have our offense wired
I think William & Mary is worse than ever this year
I think you might see Delaware kick some FG's... our kicker is good
I don't think UNH will be devastated by the tough loss in Norfolk last week
I think the UNH football facility is rinky dinky
I think UNH is beatable this year
I don't think your Defense is very good, but they will look better today
I don't think our Defense is gonna look that good today, but we have some playmakers on D that can make the difference
I think the QB from Newark HS that went to JMU made a big mistake (not that he would have ever played QB again in Newark)

Delaware 31
New Hampshire 30 in a wild one

Oldhen
September 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
UNH's QB will put up massive numbers today, but will need to protect the ball against, what has been, a ball-hawking secondary that wants to make you drive the ball and waits for your mistakes. The UD DL has continued to improve game-by-game, and may produce enough pressure to increase mistakes. The UD O will be as effective as the young and inexperienced OL is. They've been erratic, but better recently. I think UNH's O is much more creative than UD's which will have heavy doses of #30 and #28 between the tackles. Keeler's teams rarely play all that well in NE. I have a hard time seeing this as a low-scoring game. Could come down to the last possession.

ODUsmitty
September 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Go Wildcats! Put a serious lickin' on that female chicken.

blukeys
September 29th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Go Wildcats! Put a serious lickin' on that female chicken.

Only an idiot who has never lived with a woman who had PMS would question the meaness and toughness of anyone female. :D

blukeys
September 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hurley TD UD 7-0

Ud1Hens
September 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
7-0 Hens heading into the 2nd quarter.

unhfan1
September 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Very little energy shown by UNH. They are lucky to be down by only a touchdown at halftime.

caribbeanhen
September 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Very little energy shown by UNH. They are lucky to be down by only a touchdown at halftime.

back at ya

Mattymc727
September 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
What a second half by UNH

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
What a horrible second half for the Hens.

R3TRO
September 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM
UNH gives up a touchdown... Obviously

Oh well... can't expect them to hold with 2's and 3's in.

Good statement game for UNH.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Have to hand it to the Cats, they didn't give up after the half and came out with the right adjustments to take us down.

Coming into this season UNH and ODU were the two games that I worried about. Let's hope the film from the 2nd half helps Keeler find a way to effectively gameplan for the Monarchs.

kdinva
September 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Good statement game for UNH.

+1

NHwildEcat
October 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Way to bounce back! Schedule seems to ease up now until the Towson game to finish off the season!

Mattymc727
October 1st, 2012, 09:32 AM
Was this a case of UNH being underrated or UD being overrated?

GannonFan
October 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
Was this a case of UNH being underrated or UD being overrated?

Neither - both teams are solid top 20 teams.