PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 5.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
I was 4-1 this past week and it is obvious that my upset-picking skills stink to the heavens. Apparently Dale Jones got the memo from on high or something but ASU got it done. This is where I have it after this week:

1) Samford - two SoCon wins in the barn and nary a blemish
2) The Citadel - found that they are not the ETSU team that took down the Pack in the 80s the hard way.
3) Wofford - the only other SoCon team with nary a blemish
4) Georgia Southern - escaped with a win against an inspired Elon team
5) Appalachian State - ran the Mocs out of town on a rail
6) Chattanooga - chattownmocs, I have one double serving of crow and one extra large crow shake to share with you
7) Elon - gave Georgia Southern all they had
8) Furman - finally gets their first win of the season
9) Western Carolina - nearly got lucky against Samford but no cigar for them

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Furman - Catamounts finally get lucky against a SoCon opponent
Wofford @ Elon - Terriers win one after a break in the action
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State - ASU wins another one against a decent Chanticleer team
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Bulldogs are very much on their way to a possible playoff run
Samford @ Georgia Southern - same for these Bulldogs as well

Biff
September 23rd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Who is the one SoCon win Furman has?

Wofford should be up on top, followed by the The Citadel and then Samford. I would Furman last for not beating PC more convincingly. The rest seem to be ok

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 07:05 AM

Wofford should be up on top, followed by the The Citadel and then Samford. I would Furman last for not beating PC more convincingly. The rest seem to be ok

No SoCon wins.

If it makes a difference to you, Furman was beating PC 31-7 in the 4th quarter, had a touchdown called back for a phantom chop block, and then allowed PC to score twice on the backups.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Samford
4) Georgia Southern
5) Appalachian State
6) Elon
7) Chattanooga
9) Western Carolina
9) Furman

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Furman
Wofford @ Elon
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State
Chattanooga @ The Citadel
Samford @ Georgia Southern

So close for getting a W for Western. I am hoping this week finally..............

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Not sure what it is people see with Samford.

1. Woff
2. Cit
3. GSU
4. App
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. UTC
9. Western

Winners: Furman, Wofford, App, El Cid, GSU

Smitty
September 23rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Not sure what it is people see with Samford.

Could be that they are 2-0 and 4-0 right now... Just saying

ASU_Fanatic
September 23rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
1. Wofford - putting them first now, three straight weeks I've changed my #1
2. El Cid - I know it's not really fair to drop a team after losing to a BCS school but they got absolutely man-handled by a team that is not all that great so I'm gonna have to drop them a spot
3. Stamford- Bulldogs are barely escaped a trap game in Cullowhee, but they're undefeated
4. App State- I have to jump them over GaSo now. They dominated UTC in a tough environment, great bounce back win
5. GaSo- maybe a bit harsh here but Elon sucks, they had no business being pushed to the limit against them
6. Furman- finally got a win, tough game this week
7. Chattanooga- looked really bad against a team that was one week off of getting drilled to the Citadel
8. Elon- played their best game of the year in a near upset
9. Western Carolina- these guys are already making strides and almost pulled off the upset yesterday. I was heart broken when I saw they lost, really young

WCU 17 @ Furman 21 - Furman grinds out the win behind a rowdy crowd and WCU drops another tough one but continues to show improvement

Wofford 31 @ Elon 17 - Wofford may need to be careful but at the end of the day they are just more talented than Elon

Coastal Carolina 23 @ App St 34 - App finally gets over .500 I'm a hard fought battle

Chattanooga 14 - Citadel 24 - Bulldogs get back to their winning ways at home

Samford 13 - Georgia Southern 26 - Statement game for GaSo here, I think they'll control the game from start to finish

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Samford
4) Georgia Southern
5) Appalachian State
6) Elon
7) Chattanooga
9) Western Carolina
9) Furman

Predictions
Wofford @ Elon

So close for getting a W for Western. I am hoping this week finally..............

I was actually pulling for you guys. First time I've ever pulled for two purple teams: WCU and ECU.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
Could be that they are 2-0 and 4-0 right now... Just saying

But really top in SoCon? The squeak out the win over WC. Glad you included "right now"', they will certainly have a chance to prove they are the best. They still have 4 tough league games at home and the the two road games besides GSU do not look like a sure thing.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
1. Wofford - putting them first now, three straight weeks I've changed my #1
2. El Cid - I know it's not really fair to drop a team after losing to a BCS school but they got absolutely man-handled by a team that is not all that great so I'm gonna have to drop them a spot
3. Stamford- Bulldogs are barely escaped a trap game in Cullowhee, but they're undefeated
4. App State- I have to jump them over GaSo now. They dominated UTC in a tough environment, great bounce back win
5. GaSo- maybe a bit harsh here but Elon sucks, they had no business being pushed to the limit against them
6. Furman- finally got a win, tough game this week
7. Chattanooga- looked really bad against a team that was one week off of getting drilled to the Citadel
8. Elon- played their best game of the year in a near upset
9. Western Carolina- these guys are already making strides and almost pulled off the upset yesterday. I was heart broken when I saw they lost, really young

WCU 17 @ Furman 21 - Furman grinds out the win behind a rowdy crowd and WCU drops another tough one but continues to show improvement

Wofford 31 @ Elon 17 - Wofford may need to be careful but at the end of the day they are just more talented than Elon

Coastal Carolina 23 @ App St 34 - App finally gets over .500 I'm a hard fought battle

Chattanooga 14 - Citadel 24 - Bulldogs get back to their winning ways at home

Samford 13 - Georgia Southern 26 - Statement game for GaSo here, I think they'll control the game from start to finish

Concur with your take on the State game. I mentioned to a high school buddy of mine who went to State at the tailgate before the game that I was almost (almost) hoping we would lose the game. I still think this is good for our team; it is our letdown I hope, and we can spring back next week at home and take out some frustrations against UTC. Would rather win the SoCon and lose to State, than beat State and lose the SoCon. I never thought we had much of a chance anyway. I will say this about State- their line play on both sides of the ball was superlative; a clinic for sure.

As for your rankings... I would not have put us ahead of Wofford in the first place. They are looking like the strongest team in the conference, aside from all the distractions. We have to play them in Spartanburg.

Our defense is weakish. Guys on our message board don't like me saying that, but I think it will become evident in the next few games, especially with Chatty and Elon. I won't go into all the things that lead me to this conclusion but unless we figure out how to stop the pass we are going to have some hiccups down the road. I am happy we have managed to beat ASU and GSU so far because it gives us a cushion, but in no way are we going to run the table.

OL FU
September 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hard to determine but I think either Wofford or the Citadel has to be on top. I would pick Wofford because of history and they are playing well. But I could easily put the Citadel because two of the toughest SoCon games are behind them.

AS far as the bottom, I would probably pick WCU once again due to history. But I can wait until this weekend to see who should be on the bottom.

asumike83
September 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
1) Wofford - Have benefitted from a soft early schedule but still the most impressive thus far.
2) The Citadel - Tough loss in Raleigh but still a very good team. Bounce back game with UTC will be telling.
3) Samford - They are 4-0 but their opponents have 1 combined DI win. Big chance to prove themselves Saturday.
4) Georgia Southern - Looked a little shaky against Elon but got the W. Will have to play better against Samford.
5) Appalachian - Great defensive performance, with just enough offense to win. Now, must show some consistency.
6) Elon - Played a solid game against GSU but have a tough stretch coming up.
7) Furman - Finally got in the win column. Need to beat WCU at home to avoid an 0-2 start in the SoCon.
8) Chattanooga - Still without a DI win, offense is really struggling. Their defense keeps them out of the cellar for now.
9) Western Carolina - A gutsy performance at home against Samford. Clearly improved but need a W to move up.

Predictions
Wofford @ Elon

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Meh, I don't know about power rankings so far, seeing as we still are barely into the season. I will probably put some up after week 7 or 8, after Wofford goes to GSU/App.

But as of now, I would put power rankings associated with who is/isn't in "panic mode" quite yet as the race to 7 D1 wins is almost as important as the conference crown.

1)The Citadel (3-1)-only needs 4 more wins to reach the threshold. has Chattanooga this week and I'm going to predict that Chatty is going to have a down year this year.

2) Wofford (3-0)-We have Elon this week, and we need 5 more wins to reach the 7D1 win threshold. I think we have what it takes to win, but turnovers are going to be the key. If neither team turns over, it will be a shoot out, with Wofford having the edge. If Wofford wins the turnover battle, Wofford wins. Elon will have my respect until they prove that they can't move the ball, and for the people who say they can't run the ball, my answer is no ****, because that isn't their intent.

3) Samford- (4-0) They need 4 more wins as well to reach the threshold, but I don't think I'm sold on them yet, their defense is suspect and their offense hasn't played a quality defense, or at least hasn't put up spectacular numbers against a quality defense. They still have the big 3+the citadel left, and they have to go 8-3 to make the playoffs, they have to win 2 of those 4 games to reach that mark (they have kentucky in the last week of the year). If they lose to GSU this weekend I will put them in panic mode.

4)App state (2-2)-Still a relative unknown in my opinion. There's a lack of continuity on defense, but their offense seems to be good enough to put up high 20s to low 30s on an average day. They scheduled okay so they only need to be at 7-4 to make the playoffs and I think they are one of the safest bets to do so. Winning the conference? I don't know, we'll have to see.

5)GSU(2-1)-I think they're in trouble honestly. They make a lot of mistakes on offense. They've scored only in the 20s or so in their last 2 games, and they haven't gotten to the beef of their schedule. Luckily, like App, they only need to be 7-4 to make the playoffs, so they have a few games to drop just in case.

6)Furman (1-3)- They are a lot better of a team than their record indicates. Regardless, they are in panic mode because they can't lose more than 1 more game and they have yet to play the citadel, Wofford, GSU, or App State. They, like Elon, are a team that can run with anyone offensively (I really like their freshman QB) but I don't think they'll overcome this 0-3 start.

7)Elon(2-2)-Needs to be 8-3 to make the playoffs, and they've already lost 2 games. they have yet to play Wofford, App state, the citadel, samford, or Furman, and I don't see them winning more than 3 of those 5 games. This is going to be another middle of the pack year for Elon. They'll be good enough to beat anyone on any given saturday, but I just don't see them doing that. On a scale of 1 to 10 of panic mode, they're a 7. If Wofford beats them this week, they are in full-panic mode.

8)Chattanooga (1-3)-I think it's going to be a long year for the Mocs. perhaps it will be Huesman's first legit "down year." They lost to a Jacksonville State team that just got routed by 30 against EKU and got hammered by an App State team that at least has a couple of question marks defensively. They have to win out to remain alive in the playoff chase. having played only App State in conference, I don't think the likelihood of Chatty going 7-0 in their next 7 is favorable for the Mocs. Full-blown panic mode.

9)Western(1-3)- I don't know how good Western is, but they're a lot better than they were last year and their players actually appear to like playing the game. They will beat someone if they come in sleep walking. their QB is very efficient. Western could elevate themselves to middle of the pack in a few years, much liike what Samford has been recently,

cbarrier90
September 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
4)App state (2-2)-There's a lack of continuity on defense, but their offense seems to be good enough to put up high 20s to low 30s on an average day.

It's actually the opposite...

atlfcsfan
September 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
1. Wofford
2. Citadel
3. Ga Southern
4. App State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Predictions

Western Carolina vs Furman home team takes it by 10
Wofford vs Elon The Terriers should win, I think by a couple of TD's
Coastal Carolna vs App State The Mountaineers get back on track at home.
Chattanooga vs Citadel Upset Special. I know it sounds crazy, but think the Mocs pull a suprise
Samford vs GA Southern The Eagles bring Samford back to reality

catamount man
September 23rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) App State
4) Georgia Southern
5) Samford
6) Furman
7) Elon
tie for last - WCU and UTC

this week's predictions:
Furman 31 WCU 17
Wofford 55 Elon 24
GSU 31 Samford 24
ASU 51 Coastal 31
El Cid 49 UTC 0

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM

Sorry, thought Presbyterian was a SoCon member.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
I understand GSU has an unimpressive win against Elon. I'm still trying to figure out why barely beating Western and Furman merits a top 3 from some folks, though.

GlassOnion
September 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
I understand GSU has an unimpressive win against Elon. I'm still trying to figure out why barely beating Western and Furman merits a top 3 from some folks, though.

Meh. Samford is 4-0, and its only week 5. No harm in them being there. SOS and quality wins will come around with a vengeance soon enough.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Meh. Samford is 4-0, and its only week 5. No harm in them being there. SOS and quality wins will come around with a vengeance soon enough.

I agree. Undefeated is undefeated. Western and Gardner Webb are not power houses, but those are back to back road wins two states over.

CID1990
September 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM

Because

A) rankings don't matter and

B) Samford, Wofford and El CID have no conference losses yet.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Because

A) rankings don't matter and

B) Samford, Wofford and El CID have no conference losses yet.

Ok so we will wait for Samford to show where they fall. xcoffeex. ... And I mean fall.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
1 - Wofford - Assumed by everyone to be on top, but their schedule hangs over that assumption until they prove it. A solid SOCON road win next week would help to solidify.
2 - The Citadel - For the same reason I made them #1 last week they are #2 this week. It was not that they lost, albeit to an FBS, it was how they lost that dropped them to #2. FBS or not, they did not look like the best the SOCON has to offer.
3 - Georgia Southern - Got the win, but doubts remain. Sloppy so far.
4 - Samford - They keep winning, even if the competition has not been top rate. A win at Ga So. would show they are for real.
5 - Appalachian State - Got the needed win on the road. Cid victory may have been aberration.
6 - Furman - Also got the needed win on the road, got some confidence for a much improved team.
7 - Chattanooga - Imploding, I want to make them #8 but there is some talent there, nepotism aside, and they could still be dangerous.
8 - Elon - Just as sloppy as Ga. So. This week should tell quite a bit.
9 - Western Carolina - Obviously, things are starting to come together. They are no longer a distant #9.

Predictions
I got all 5 wins in Week 4 (wasn't too hard), 23-4 on year. Called that Sanford/Western would be close early, and had the App St/Chatt score pretty close to actual. Totally blew the Elon/GaSo score, and really thought (more like hoped) Cid could keep it within 2 to 3 scores (oops). Oh well.

Western Carolina at Furman - Western could taste it last week. Expect this to be close also, 31-23

Wofford at Elon - If Elon can minimize the turnovers they might make a game of it. They "only" gave up 342 yards rushing at Ga. So. But I think it will be tougher against Wofford's well oiled machine, even at home, 34-20

Coastal Carolina at Appalachian State - Mountaineers are back in the saddle again in Boone, 42-17

Chattanooga at The Citadel - Cid embarrassed Chatty last year with that epic come back. I expect them to try and return the favor plus it is a must win for Chattanooga. This is the closest to an upset special this week. Closer than everyone thinks, 31-28

Samford at Georgia Southern - Will the real SOCON contender please stand up. Third road game/win in a row is too much for Samford, plus Ga. So. finally gets it together - 38-24

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how well Wofford plays against Elon. Their offense scares the bejesus out of me, but I'm really confident in Wofford's offense. The key for Wofford will be Brian Kass to have a good game, and perhaps the backup, Michael Weimer, to play well as well. Weimer is probably faster than Kass, but Kass is a better passer.

I'm going to say that I think Wofford has probably the best backfield in the conference seeing as we have the best rusher, and in my opinion a top 5 rusher in Donovan Johnson. He would rush for a lot more yards if he wasn't splitting the load with EB. With that said, I'm also really confident with the rest of our running backs, we have at least 5 or 6 true freshmen or redshirt freshmen with carries in all of our games so far, and without a doubt we are far more talented in the backfield, especially from a speed perspective, than we have ever been. People on here often say "well if EB goes down, so does the offense" and I disagree with that. EB is a monster, no doubt about it, but the offensive makeup is a lot different than it was last year and even the year before that. We will have an adequate pass game and a stable of running backs who are capable at making plays off of the pitch, probably more so than years prior. I will make a bold prediction in that I don't think EB will rush for as many yards as he has the last few years.

With that said, I may be confident in our running backs' abilities but we have yet to see the new QB(s) against legitimate defenses this year, and they are the real keys of the offense.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
1. The Citadel - the biggest two conference wins belong to the same team.
2. Samford - Undefeated is undefeated.
3. Wofford - Undefeated is undefeated, but their wins aren't as impressive as Samford's.
4. GSU - lot of unanswered questions, but got it done against Elon
5. App State - Nice road win against UTC
6. Elon - Solid showing against Georgia Southern.
7. Furman - Finally got on the board against Presby in a game that was more onesided than the final score.
8. UTC - Same old same old
9. Western - Looking better.

Predicitions

Western @ Furman: WCU has not won in Greenville since 1994. Furman is a young club, but they've cut down the turnover bug and gotten the running game going again. Western Carolina is improved, and I believe they can give Furman a game of it. Paladins 27-20

Wofford @ Elon: Phoenix gave a good account of themselves against Georgia Southern. Need to do the same thing against Wofford - force turnovers and limit mistakes. Wofford wins 34-17.

Coastal Carolina @ App State: Chants are a decent team, and put Toledo up against the wall last week, but App has a good passing game. App has no such problems. Mountaineers 34-17.

UTC @ the Citadel: el Cid has had a bunch of tough ones back to back. I think Huseman gets his defense in gear and they steal one in Charleston. UTC 20-17.

Samford @ GSU: I do not think Georgia Southern is good enough to continue to cough up the ball and still expect to win. They could do it last year. No such luck this year. Samford doesn't get a lot of press on here, but their defense is significantly better than Elon's and will put a lot of pressure on the young GSU backfield. Not to mention, Samford has a huge advantage in the kicking game. Samford in a wild one 27-24.

T-Dog
September 24th, 2012, 07:13 AM
New article. Looking back at UTC and looking forward to CCU.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoee4qaff5/

Western Carolina @ Furman - 34-24. Not yet Western.
Wofford @ Elon - 42-21. Terriers handle business.
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State - 38-21. ASU pulls away late.
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - 55-14. Wheels fall of the Moc bus.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - 35-24. GSU starts clicking.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
It will be interesting to see how well Wofford plays against Elon. Their offense scares the bejesus out of me, but I'm really confident in Wofford's offense. The key for Wofford will be Brian Kass to have a good game, and perhaps the backup, Michael Weimer, to play well as well. Weimer is probably faster than Kass, but Kass is a better passer.

I'm going to say that I think Wofford has probably the best backfield in the conference seeing as we have the best rusher, and in my opinion a top 5 rusher in Donovan Johnson. He would rush for a lot more yards if he wasn't splitting the load with EB. With that said, I'm also really confident with the rest of our running backs, we have at least 5 or 6 true freshmen or redshirt freshmen with carries in all of our games so far, and without a doubt we are far more talented in the backfield, especially from a speed perspective, than we have ever been. People on here often say "well if EB goes down, so does the offense" and I disagree with that. EB is a monster, no doubt about it, but the offensive makeup is a lot different than it was last year and even the year before that. We will have an adequate pass game and a stable of running backs who are capable at making plays off of the pitch, probably more so than years prior. I will make a bold prediction in that I don't think EB will rush for as many yards as he has the last few years.

With that said, I may be confident in our running backs' abilities but we have yet to see the new QB(s) against legitimate defenses this year, and they are the real keys of the offense.

I look forward to the game this weekend. I think it may end up being pretty good. You can be certain Elon will be pretty PO'ed about losing the close one at Paulson, so they should be pretty pumped.

Thankfully, Swepson will be back for a full week. He kind of coached "part time" for 3 days last week, after under going a procedure for blockage the previous weekend.

You say the Elon offense scares you.....there is a ton of talent, but they have't seemed to find their rhythm. Wilson does look 10 times more comfortable this year, than last.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I look forward to the game this weekend. I think it may end up being pretty good. You can be certain Elon will be pretty PO'ed about losing the close one at Paulson, so they should be pretty pumped.

Thankfully, Swepson will be back for a full week. He kind of coached "part time" for 3 days last week, after under going a procedure for blockage the previous weekend.

You say the Elon offense scares you.....there is a ton of talent, but they have't seemed to find their rhythm. Wilson does look 10 times more comfortable this year, than last.

And that's what's scary. Turnovers, whether that be on Wilson's part or not, is the key. Elon had 3 if I'm not mistaken against GSU.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
And that's what's scary. Turnovers, whether that be on Wilson's part or not, is the key. Elon had 3 if I'm not mistaken against GSU.

Yup. With the third on GSU's 11 yard line under two minutes :( Some GSU fans have argued this particular one, stating the refs blew the call. But that doesn't matter because GSU won the game.

If I remember correctly, only one of the TOs could be put on Wilson. He eyed the receiver and the GSU DB took advantage of it. Wilson has been doing a fairly good job of tucking and running or throwing it away this year. He had a couple nice runs for first downs on Saturday night.

SpeedkingATL
September 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Predictions
Western Carolina @ Furman-Could be closer than expected as Whee appears to be improved. 28-17 Furple wins.
Wofford @ Elon-Wofford's running attack gets little resistance and Elon's air attack can't quite keep up. Ankle-Biters win 38-21.
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State-Coastal Chickens come to The Rock to play Team Sybil. Hopefully mean Sybil shows and App wins 34-24.
Chattanooga @ The Citadel-Choo Choo's defense makes it tough on Citdogs but when you have 2 rotating QBs you have problems. Dogs in a typical Moc nailbiter winning 28-27 to stay undefeated in the SoCon.
Samford @ Georgia Southern-The schedule finally catches up with Little Sammy and GaSo starts jelling with the option. It's a long day for the Dogs as Stink wins 38-17.

Smitty
September 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I think one of the most refreshing things I've seen this year is people actually saying WCU has improved... Hopefully we will be able to scare people in the next year

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I think one of the most refreshing things I've seen this year is people actually saying WCU has improved... Hopefully we will be able to scare people in the next year

And everyone is happy to see it.

When youre moving in the right direction, its only a matter of time before you catch up.

kdinva
September 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Western Carolina 13 @ Furman 24
Wofford 37 @ Elon 20-
Coastal Carolina 23 @ Appalachian State 31
Chattanooga 16@ The Citadel 28
Samford 12 @ Georgia Southern 35

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM
1) The Citadel
2) Wofford
3a)GSU
3b)App State
5) Samford
6a) Furman
6b) Elon
8) Chattanooga
9) Western Carolina

Western Carolina @ Furman - Cats may make a scare here, but Furman comes out on top
Wofford @ Elon - Wofford's rushing attack will be too much for Elon to keep up with.
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State - App will be back this week. Starting to show more and more improvements on offense.
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Dogs bite one out again to remain undefeated.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Eagles are able to contain Samford but win in a close matchup.

SU DOG
September 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM

I was there Saturday, and the biggest improvement I saw was in the coaching - daylight to dark. It is also true that the Catamounts have some really good young talent. This group will probably get better each game this year, and it is possible, or even probable, that Western will get some breaks and get a SoCon win(s) before this season is over. Depth might be a negative, but a fair warning to all - these Cats are growing claws!!!

ASUMountaineer
September 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Amazing what a bunch of App folks can do in Cullowhee! :D

In all seriousness, I am glad to see WCU making strides. You and your fans have had to endure a lot, and it's time that y'all get a chance to have some good news (except on October 27th).

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
1) El Cid On top till they lose.
2) Woof Woof Untested, but Undefeated.
3) App State Slight bump in the road 2 weeks ago, but when this team plays, they play. Getting every starter back and App is a scary team.
4) The Stink A close game with El Cid is one thing, but Elon is garbage. No reason to win by less than 2 TD's against them unless GaSo is over ratted...
5) Lil Sammy Surprising everyone this year. I certainly hope we don't look in the history books and blow this game off as a W like we did against Citadel.
6) Furple Hit or miss with these guys.
7) Dirty Nooga From what I saw Saturday, UTC is not a good football team. Possibly the worst offense in the conference.
8) Elon Mellete is always scary, but he's about the only positive thing on the team.
9) The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts It will take years for Spier to dig this program out of the ground.

Western Carolina @ Furman - Spier might make it a close one, probably not though
Wofford @ Elon - At least a 30 point win for the pups
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State - Apps hit their stride against the Beach Chickens
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Low scoring affair. Chatty tries to rally, but just can't score against any decent defense.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Upset of the week. Sends GaSo fans into the same spiral of despair that App nation experienced last week.

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
4) The Stink A close game with El Cid is one thing, but Elon is garbage. No reason to win by less than 2 TD's against them unless GaSo is over ratted...

I mean....
11/19/11 28-24 App at Elon

I-16Bandit
September 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I mean....

Eggggcellent.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I mean....

Referring to 2012. They almost won a championship in 09. They suck in 2012.

I-16Bandit
September 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Pretty sure people were saying the same before either of us played the Citadel.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Pretty sure people were saying the same before either of us played the Citadel.

Elon got their d1cks kicked in by a mediocre Tar Hole team and have been absolute garbage in every other gams (sans the GaSo game apparently). Also, this is week 5, not week 3.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
3) App State Slight bump in the road 2 weeks ago, but when this team plays, they play. Getting every starter back and App is a scary team.
5) Lil Sammy Surprising everyone this year. I certainly hope we don't look in the history books and blow this game off as a W like we did against Citadel.
7) Dirty Nooga From what I saw Saturday, UTC is not a good football team. Possibly the worst offense in the conference.
8) Elon Mellete is always scary, but he's about the only positive thing on the team.
9) The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts It will take years for Spier to dig this program out of the ground.

Western Carolina @ Furman - Spier might make it a close one, probably not though
Wofford @ Elon - At least a 30 point win for the pups
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State - Apps hit their stride against the Beach Chickens
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Low scoring affair. Chatty tries to rally, but just can't score against any decent defense.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Upset of the week. Sends GaSo fans into the same spiral of despair that App nation experienced last week.

How do you justify App over Samford?

I realize it is rational put App over Samford, except for this season does not warrant that just yet.

catamount man
September 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I was there Saturday, and the biggest improvement I saw was in the coaching - daylight to dark. It is also true that the Catamounts have some really good young talent. This group will probably get better each game this year, and it is possible, or even probable, that Western will get some breaks and get a SoCon win(s) before this season is over. Depth might be a negative, but a fair warning to all - these Cats are growing claws!!!

Yes indeed, depth, or lack of thereof, is still hurting and I could see every play that Samford kept advancing in the 4th quarter. I will say this, you got a gift when the side judge called Deja out of bounds when our replay board CLEARLY showed he had both feet in bounds. I guess we got to win some games before we get those calls. All in all, you guys were a proud vocal bunch and what a game. Hope to make my 1st trip to Samford in 2013. GO CATS!

catamount man
September 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Yep and Dennis Wagner is 0-4 at CO-OC at Liberty! LOL!!!

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Elon got their d1cks kicked in by a mediocre Tar Hole team and have been absolute garbage in every other gams (sans the GaSo game apparently). Also, this is week 5, not week 3.

Interesting take seeing App lost big to ECU, who was just demolished by UNC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXPEDn6RO8

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Not very accurate description. Demolished is 63-0. ECU got beat, but they werent "demolished."

Boo Boo
September 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
1. GEORGIA F'N SOUTHERN!- the one and only! Dominating from here on out- BOOK IT
2. THE *****ADEL- the exclusive female-hating gay club of the South
3. WOOFord-tiny and elitest...be like us or be gone!
4. CRAPpachian State- the choice of stoned, moonshine peddlin' hillbillies everywhere
5. Sam Ford- OVC reject and another snobby school
6. SCATanooga- Choo Choo riders, will you ever decide on a QB and/or what a Moc is?
7. the F.U.C.K.- Purple makes me puke! Why would anyone want to drees like that on a football field?
8. E-Loan: Loaning other teams wins without ever asking for collateral and never getting paid back!
9. WCU: Another ugly purple uniform- every year's a new suckfest in the boonies of Cullowhee

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
How do you justify App over Samford?

I realize it is rational put App over Samford, except for this season does not warrant that just yet.

Strength of schedule so far.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Not very accurate description. Demolished is 63-0. ECU got beat, but they werent "demolished."

If UNC = mediocre and UNC > ECU, then ECU = something less than mediocre.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXPEDn6RO8

We controlled the game for 3 quarters before their depth did it's duty. It was a 1 point ball game in the waning minutes of the 3rd quarter. I realized you only looked at the box score before you posted, but perhaps you should read the game stats and not just the score.

ECU hung in their game with the holes a hell of a lot better than the fElons did. You guys embarrassed the SoCon with that showing.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Standards are different in CUSA vs the ACC. A mediocre CUSA team is a piss poor ACC team.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Yes. Lets judge all teams by one game. I choose the Coastal game for Furman, and the Chatty game for App. Carry on.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Strength of schedule so far.

I don't see that it matters.

You rank Wofford ahead of Samford, but Wofford has played an infinitely less difficult schedule than both App and Samford. It is hard to argue that undefeated Wofford gets put ahead of App State, but undefeated Samford does not, despite Samford having the tougher go. Not to mention Samford is 4-0 and has handled their business and App is 2-2 and got beat like a drum last week at home.

I-16Bandit
September 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM
We controlled the game for 3 quarters before their depth did it's duty. It was a 1 point ball game in the waning minutes of the 3rd quarter. I realized you only looked at the box score before you posted, but perhaps you should read the game stats and not just the score.

ECU hung in their game with the holes a hell of a lot better than the fElons did. You guys embarrassed the SoCon with that showing.

Want a cookie to go along with that moral victory?

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Yes. Lets judge all teams by one game. I choose the Coastal game for Furman, and the Chatty game for App. Carry on.

Yes, let us consider Elon a bad team because they got beat by a "mediocre" UNC team, and then when UNC beats the team that beat my team, lets say the transitive property does not work in football.

Have it one way or the other.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Did you read the thread or just take that out of context? He said we "lost big" to ECU. I was disproving that assertion. I NEVER harp on "moral" victories. An L is an L.

SU DOG
September 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Yes indeed, depth, or lack of thereof, is still hurting and I could see every play that Samford kept advancing in the 4th quarter. I will say this, you got a gift when the side judge called Deja out of bounds when our replay board CLEARLY showed he had both feet in bounds. I guess we got to win some games before we get those calls. All in all, you guys were a proud vocal bunch and what a game. Hope to make my 1st trip to Samford in 2013. GO CATS!

I just gave your team a sincere compliment and you respond with, what is in your opinion, an official's gift? These things usually average out over the course of a game. It was close, but if they missed it, it wasn't the only one. Could you have received a gift or two since Samford received 10 penalties for 140 yds to Western's 5 for 52 yards?
Nice folks, great crowd, improving team at Western. Please don't disillusion my mental picture by spewing what sounds like sour grapes.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, let us consider Elon a bad team because they got beat by a "mediocre" UNC team, and then when UNC beats the team that beat my team, lets say the transitive property does not work in football.

Have it one way or the other.

Im paging back through the thread here, and dont see where I called Elon a bad team...

I-16Bandit
September 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Im paging back through the thread here, and dont see where I called Elon a bad team...

Pretty sure he is referring to your buddy:

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Elon is a bad team. Anyone that says otherwise is sandbagging.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, bud I'd have said it regardless of what happened in the UNC/Elon game, therefore his point is moot.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Oh! So basically the same thing happened over the weekend, before App took it over in the 4th and "demolished" (as an App fans state) UTC in the 4th. I get it.....xrolleyesx

A 22 point loss is a big loss. Doesn't matter if it was to a horrid FBS team in the 4th or not.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Oh! So basically the same thing happened over the weekend, before App took it over in the 4th and "demolished" (as an App fans state) UTC in the 4th. I get it.....xrolleyesx

Look at the stats. We didn't do most of the scoring until the 4th against UTC, but we utterly controlled the game. At ECU, we out gained them almost 2-1 until the fourth when they pounded our 3rd string. Research is fundamental if you wish to become as successful rhetorician. xthumbsupx Look into it. It's a crucial skill and you are failing miserably.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Obviously you didnt watch the App/Chattanooga game. App dominated on defense all game, and the offense drove down the field often. Had not App turned the ball over twice, Shatty would prolly have never scored until the garbage time that Robinson got in. Chatty had just 116 yards offense when Robinson came in for the last 2 drives of the game.

cbarrier90
September 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM

"Alabama gave up 341 yards to us, therefore NDSU doesn't stand a chance..."

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM
"Alabama gave up 341 yards to us, therefore NDSU doesn't stand a chance..."

xanim_chaix

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Look at the stats. We didn't do most of the scoring until the 4th against UTC, but we utterly controlled the game. At ECU, we out gained them almost 2-1 until the fourth when they pounded our 3rd string. Research is fundamental if you wish to become as successful rhetorician. xthumbsupx Look into it. It's a crucial skill and you are failing miserably.

You had your 3rd string in during a close game with an FBS team? What kind of coaching is that?

I'll supply milk with the cookie for the moral victory.

Back to what really matters......

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
You had your 3rd string in during a close game with an FBS team? What kind of coaching is that?

You put in your subs when your starters are gassed in the Greenville heat.

Moral victory talk again? xlolx Already dispelled that one, buddy. Try to keep up. It was your wild assertion that prompted the ECU game talk. No App fan, especially me, is claiming any kind of victory from that game, especially not a moral one.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM

We were down 4 starters to begin with. We lost another to a season ending knee injury, and another, starting RB for 5 games with a broken hand. Not to mention depth is needed when youre playing in 110 degree heat.

Over 300 fans were treated for heat related illness, 2 heart attacks, and they were using buses to shuttle people to the hospital, and as cooling stations outside the stadium.

Everytime you post you look dumber.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
We were down 4 starters to begin with. We lost another to a season ending knee injury, and another, starting RB for 5 games with a broken hand. Not to mention depth is needed when youre playing in 110 degree heat.

Oh and a couple starters suspended for.....what was it again?

And while we're on the topic, Elon's had several starters out for all 4 games due to injury, a head coach out for 1 game and half a week to prepare for a top 10 FCS school.

Excuses.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM

What does this have to do with fElon sucking?

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Whatever it was, it sever saw a court room.

You sure do take every opportunity to try and insult us. What's it like to be obsessed with a team you hate? It must be pretty frustrating that you've never beaten us at football.

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM
App sure as hell has never had a football/baseball player take a swing at a player in a game.

And then run like a little girl.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM

You sure do take every opportunity to try and insult us. What's it like to be obsessed with a team you hate? It must be pretty frustrating that you've never beaten us at football.

Well, winning just isn't the only tradition under Moore regime.

And BTW, you're last statement is incorrect.

Sorry kids, gotta run. It's always fun though.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Well, winning just isn't the only tradition under Moore regime.

And BTW, you're last statement is incorrect.

Sorry, who was president when Elon last neat App? Was it FDR?

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Guess Scott Riddle isnt the only one from Elon that tries to throw a punch then runs away like a scared little girl.

ASUMountaineer
September 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Come on Apphole, you're better than this. We don't accept moral victories.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Damn it! I'm not claiming a moral victory. This isn't some post-ECU game thread.

The guy said the ECU beat us bad. I proved otherwise with stats. Looking at positives in a loss is not necessarily moral victory status, especially if it's for the specific purpose of proving someone wrong.

fc97
September 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Damn it! I'm not claiming a moral victory. This isn't some post-ECU game thread.

The guy said the ECU beat us bad. I proved otherwise with stats. Looking at positives in a loss is not necessarily moral victory status, especially if it's for the specific purpose of proving someone wrong.

you're using any stat possible to say it wasn't bad. you didn't beat the spread. you weren't close to the spread. the difference is, you've been running your mouth about the stats like it matters. you lost, shut up. who cares who was out and for how long or the injuries. it's just excuses and makes you guys sound whiny with all your but but but crap

fc97
September 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM

dude, this is ironic coming from mr. i post in every elon thread there is.

ASUMountaineer
September 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM

xlolx

It was a bad loss, just say it an move on. It was almost a month ago, the ECU game has long been forgotten (or at least should have been).

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
you're using any stat possible to say it wasn't bad. you didn't beat the spread. you weren't close to the spread. the difference is, you've been running your mouth about the stats like it matters. you lost, shut up. who cares who was out and for how long or the injuries. it's just excuses and makes you guys sound whiny with all your but but but crap

Did the whiniest whiner on AGS just say I'm whining? Damn maybe I should just stop talking about it...

fc97
September 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM

AppHole takes the thread first, lets use all the nicknames for everyone and then rank App back up with no quality wins and dump on everyone else to justify it!

GSU fan talks about the 28-24 App win over Elon last year in reference to close games to us being bad. App hole dodges the comment and brings up 2009 vs now for some reason.

Post #3 of AppHole talking about Elon. Elon was dominated by UNC, UNC beat the snot out of ECU. ECU beat the snot out of App. And apparently convincing wins over bad opponents just isn't enough for Elon haters.

Now to justify the ECU loss. Look how well we did with everything but the score guys. Serisously, we're good, shut up guys!

AppHole Post #4 for Elon. Now lets spin it into Elon, now called fElon, and how ECU > Elon which somehow means we suck. When the original comment was about App sucking.

Did you read the thread or just take that out of context? He said we "lost big" to ECU. I was disproving that assertion. I NEVER harp on "moral" victories. An L is an L.

Wait guys! Don't get on me for moral victories, we lost, there was nothing good about it even though I said there was.

Hey! I'm backing my bro up here. Elon Sucks, now there's two of us saying it! We'll take over this thread and keep saying it to shut the Elon fans up!

Elon is a bad team. Anyone that says otherwise is sandbagging.

Now on to Post #7 in 2 pages from these two. Now we both say Elon sucks! I got your back GlassOnion!

Yes, bud I'd have said it regardless of what happened in the UNC/Elon game, therefore his point is moot.

Now to #8, I didn't say Elon sucked it was my boy here, but I did say they were bad, but even if I didn't say it, I'll say it again here!

Now onto personal attacks and more moral victories!

Obviously you didnt watch the App/Chattanooga game. App dominated on defense all game, and the offense drove down the field often. Had not App turned the ball over twice, Shatty would prolly have never scored until the garbage time that Robinson got in. Chatty had just 116 yards offense when Robinson came in for the last 2 drives of the game.

Now onto more moral victories! We're good, two of us say it, listen to us guys. If we say it enough: App is awesome, Elon sucks, then people will listen to us!!!!

You put in your subs when your starters are gassed in the Greenville heat.

Moral victory talk again? xlolx Already dispelled that one, buddy. Try to keep up. It was your wild assertion that prompted the ECU game talk. No App fan, especially me, is claiming any kind of victory from that game, especially not a moral one.

Refer to above, yes you were! Ha!

Over 300 fans were treated for heat related illness, 2 heart attacks, and they were using buses to shuttle people to the hospital, and as cooling stations outside the stadium.

Everytime you post you look dumber.

Oh no, now we have to justify our personel, oh and we had suspensions and injuries. There's lots of excuses to go around, it was clsoe I tell you, even though the score says it wasn't. All two of us say it!

What does this have to do with fElon sucking?

Boom, #10. fElon sucks. Always fall back to that when you lose your argument!

Oh boy, now let's justify this all of it. the suspensions were nothing. jerry bent the rules, it didn't go to court, it was ok guys, seriously! and that's why we lost, that's right, we were down players.

App sure as hell has never had a football/baseball player take a swing at a player in a game.

And then run like a little girl.

#11, now back to scott riddle, how long has he been gone from elon? how long? that's the line of defense now. one player's actions in one game to go against the app tradition of player problems for the past decade? and, AND, that was in elon baseball not football!!!

Sorry, who was president when Elon last neat App? Was it FDR?

elon sucks! take that! who was president. even though i just said you never beat us, now i'm saying you have, but, tell me who was president? and it was kennedy, at least get your smack straight!

Guess Scott Riddle isnt the only one from Elon that tries to throw a punch then runs away like a scared little girl.

oh now, bring the scott riddle reference out in full force!

called out for your moral victory! LOL

LOL, I didn't say it, even though I did, but I didn't wait, I did. no, wow. Ha, which is it dude?

The moral of the story. GlassOnion and AppHole run another thread into the ground because an Elon fan dared say anything. Who actually has the obsessions? ElonPride and I were blamed for it, but I am starting to wonder!

CID1990
September 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
UTC has traditionally been our bugaboo if you discount Wofford. They spoiled our season the same year we beat the Gamecocks.

I'll be happy with a win of any kind, but I really hope we kick their a$$es up over their shoulders.

CID1990
September 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Forgot my predictions-

WCU at Furple: would love to see a Catamount win here, but they are in Traveler's Rest, so Furple by 10.

Wofford vs Elon - Hmm. If Elon can stop the TO they'll win, but isn't that always the key? Don't think they will against the Terriers. Wofford by 14.

Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State- Apps break it off in CCU's a$$. Gotta redeem for the home crowd- ASU by 17.

Chattanooga vs El Cid - going with the homer vote, but honestly this game scares me. El Cid by 14.

Samford vs Georgia Southern- I think GSU will show up at home and whip Samford. GSU by 21 if they can hang on to the ball.

cannonballgsu
September 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Forgot my predictions-

WCU at Furple: would love to see a Catamount win here, but they are in Traveler's Rest, so Furple by 10.

Wofford vs Elon - Hmm. If Elon can stop the TO they'll win, but isn't that always the key? Don't think they will against the Terriers. Wofford by 14.

Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State- Apps break it off in CCU's a$$. Gotta redeem for the home crowd- ASU by 17.

Chattanooga vs El Cid - going with the homer vote, but honestly this game scares me. El Cid by 14.

Samford vs Georgia Southern- I think GSU will show up at home and whip Samford. GSU by 21 if they can hang on to the ball.

Unlikely...

GlassOnion
September 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by GlassOnion

[QUOTE=fc97;1851135]

Now onto more moral victories! We're good, two of us say it, listen to us guys. If we say it enough: App is awesome, Elon sucks, then people will listen to us!!!!

[QUOTE]

Moral victory? We beat them you moron. Why would I claim a moral victory over Chatty when I can just point at the scoreboard. You are a tool.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Unlikely...

I agree. I went back and looked, but it appears they do not keep a team stat of fumbles that did not lead to a turnover (I suppose it just goes into the lost rushing yardage category). Memory suggests that Georgia Southern has had a tough time holding onto the football since Monken arrived. I realize some of that is an occupational hazard running their offense, but it always seems like they end every game putting the ball on the turf four or five times.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Not going to quote it to save these poor people about half of their lives scrolling.

I was asked to justify why I put GaSo below App in my rankings. I said it was because I feel that Elon sucks and the Eagle's close game against Elon prompted me to drop them one spot in my ranking. From there, the conversation shifted to where or not Elon does in fact suck.

If you have a problem with GO and I naturally moving with the conversation of a thread, cry me a river. If you have a problem with Elon sucking, perhaps you should write your coach an email.

And thank you for busting out the whiniest whiner post of all time right after I called you a whiner. You never cease to amaze me.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
AppHole takes the thread first, lets use all the nicknames for everyone and then rank App back up with no quality wins and dump on everyone else to justify it!

Ironically, Elon is the only team I didn't write a nickname for.

So Montana isn't a quality win?

CID1990
September 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM

GSU fan talks about the 28-24 App win over Elon last year in reference to close games to us being bad. App hole dodges the comment and brings up 2009 vs now for some reason.

Post #3 of AppHole talking about Elon. Elon was dominated by UNC, UNC beat the snot out of ECU. ECU beat the snot out of App. And apparently convincing wins over bad opponents just isn't enough for Elon haters.

Now to justify the ECU loss. Look how well we did with everything but the score guys. Serisously, we're good, shut up guys!

AppHole Post #4 for Elon. Now lets spin it into Elon, now called fElon, and how ECU > Elon which somehow means we suck. When the original comment was about App sucking.

Wait guys! Don't get on me for moral victories, we lost, there was nothing good about it even though I said there was.

Hey! I'm backing my bro up here. Elon Sucks, now there's two of us saying it! We'll take over this thread and keep saying it to shut the Elon fans up!

Now on to Post #7 in 2 pages from these two. Now we both say Elon sucks! I got your back GlassOnion!

Now to #8, I didn't say Elon sucked it was my boy here, but I did say they were bad, but even if I didn't say it, I'll say it again here!

Now onto personal attacks and more moral victories!

Refer to above, yes you were! Ha!

Oh no, now we have to justify our personel, oh and we had suspensions and injuries. There's lots of excuses to go around, it was clsoe I tell you, even though the score says it wasn't. All two of us say it!

Boom, #10. fElon sucks. Always fall back to that when you lose your argument!

Oh boy, now let's justify this all of it. the suspensions were nothing. jerry bent the rules, it didn't go to court, it was ok guys, seriously! and that's why we lost, that's right, we were down players.

#11, now back to scott riddle, how long has he been gone from elon? how long? that's the line of defense now. one player's actions in one game to go against the app tradition of player problems for the past decade? and, AND, that was in elon baseball not football!!!

elon sucks! take that! who was president. even though i just said you never beat us, now i'm saying you have, but, tell me who was president? and it was kennedy, at least get your smack straight!

oh now, bring the scott riddle reference out in full force!

called out for your moral victory! LOL

LOL, I didn't say it, even though I did, but I didn't wait, I did. no, wow. Ha, which is it dude?

The moral of the story. GlassOnion and AppHole run another thread into the ground because an Elon fan dared say anything. Who actually has the obsessions? ElonPride and I were blamed for it, but I am starting to wonder!

In honor of your meticulously quoted meltdown of a Rodney Dangerfield post, I'll just say Elon sucks.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
This thread is terrible and signifies why I don't post as much as I used to. Recycling the same smack talk of 3 years ago is terrible. I don't give a **** if elon is terrible or not, because them being terrible won't give us a win saturday.

In the meantime, if we're going to make comments as to how much the other team sucks and has bad people or whatever, let's just keep bringing up any coach going for 2 to win a game but failing miserably, a player that did something stupid but graduated/was kicked off years ago and mock the other team's fans accordingly (you can literally name at least one for every team. No joke.), or bring up a game that happened almost an entire graduating class ago and mock supporters of said team accordingly.

^^^^^this is all one needs to talk smack on AGS.

cannonballgsu
September 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I agree. I went back and looked, but it appears they do not keep a team stat of fumbles that did not lead to a turnover (I suppose it just goes into the lost rushing yardage category). Memory suggests that Georgia Southern has had a tough time holding onto the football since Monken arrived. I realize some of that is an occupational hazard running their offense, but it always seems like they end every game putting the ball on the turf four or five times.

Hopefully we can get it cleared up like our problems at the start of 2010, then go on an undefeated tear. Hopefully our young QB gains some confidence, as he is a great athlete, I just think he lets his noodle get to him.

ASU_Fanatic
September 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM

i think i'll be in cullowhee this year for the app game with sme of my friends. i want to see the campus (for those that don't know, i'm a youngster junior in HS) and wcu could be a possible plan B for me

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hopefully we can get it cleared up like our problems at the start of 2010, then go on an undefeated tear. Hopefully our young QB gains some confidence, as he is a great athlete, I just think he lets his noodle get to him.

I will say this about Samford. The Bulldogs have as big a defensive front as their is in the SoCon.

Sullivan is no fool. I would estimate that between the tackles running is going to be tough sledding. GSU is going to have to win this game on the edge. That means their young quarterback is going to have to play well, because Samford simply is not going to let Swope take over. I imagine every team GSU plays from here on out is going to force Youyoute to make plays. GSU's season may depend on him doing that.

SU DOG
September 24th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I will say this about Samford. The Bulldogs have as big a defensive front as their is in the SoCon.

Sullivan is no fool. I would estimate that between the tackles running is going to be tough sledding. GSU is going to have to win this game on the edge. That means their young quarterback is going to have to play well, because Samford simply is not going to let Swope take over. I imagine every team GSU plays from here on out is going to force Youyoute to make plays. GSU's season may depend on him doing that.

+1

fc97
September 24th, 2012, 05:38 PM
In honor of your meticulously quoted meltdown of a Rodney Dangerfield post, I'll just say Elon sucks.

Lol

The poor fools miss the point that the entire thing was mocking them. Lol.

fElon sucks! Go for the knees! Yah!

Yours truly,
The apphole annointed whiniest poster

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM

And while we're on the topic, Elon's had several starters out for all 4 games due to injury, a head coach out for 1 game and half a week to prepare for a top 10 FCS school.

Excuses.

EP please fill us in on what you think the suspensions were for. I guarantee your assumption is wrong.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Ironically, Elon is the only team I didn't write a nickname for.

So Montana isn't a quality win?

Montana just lost by 20 to NAU so I'm not certain it is. App looks like a 7-4 team through 4 games to me. Can they improve, of course, but let's see what this young team brings each week.

fc97
September 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
EP please fill us in on what you think the suspensions were for. I guarantee your assumption is wrong.

No one said they cared what they're for, people hace said app's team has trended to discipline problems, nothing more.

fElon came from legal game hits. Funny, it was app players dismissed from the rape allegations, you know, real felonies.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Legal hits occur before the play is over.

App players have gotten in trouble and were dismissed from the team, you got us there, I wish all programs did that.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I mean seriously, the whole players getting in trouble thing is not something anyone is immune from. On the top of my head:

GSU got a transfer from Ohio State in 2008 who got busted for soliciting a prostitute, the citadel's QB tried to rob his coach, Wofford had like 2 players commit larceny a couple years ago, App had the recent mess up (and something involving a DUI with coco hilary), Furman had players shop-lift a few years back if I'm not mistaken, I think Chattanooga had a player arrested a year or two ago (but had charges dropped) and that's about all I can think of on the top of my head.

So really the whole who's-who is a felonious program is bull**** conversation.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Good post YT.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I mean seriously, the whole players getting in trouble thing is not something anyone is immune from. On the top of my head:

GSU got a transfer from Ohio State in 2008 who got busted for soliciting a prostitute, the citadel's QB tried to rob his coach, Wofford had like 2 players commit larceny a couple years ago, App had the recent mess up (and something involving a DUI with coco hilary), Furman had players shop-lift a few years back if I'm not mistaken, I think Chattanooga had a player arrested a year or two ago (but had charges dropped) and that's about all I can think of on the top of my head.

So really the whole who's-who is a felonious program is bull**** conversation.

Good post, but to fc's point, it's a trend at app. One app fan asked who the president was when Elon last beat App. The better question is, who was the last sheriff of Watauga county when app didn't have a player in trouble.:D

Saint, the pissing match came early! :). I hope all is well with you.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
So you say good post and then follow up with that?

App never once beat Elon with a player in trouble. Any other excuses EP?

GATA_Eagles
September 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
...Well that escalated quickly

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
So you say good post and then follow up with that?

App never once beat Elon with a player in trouble. Any other excuses EP?

That wasn't the question. But time to let it go.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
You're giving up too quickly these days.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
You're giving up too quickly these days.

Sometimes it's fun, but i get bored with it all too quickly :). Child on the way, priorities change!

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Congrats man, have two little ones myself. Enjoy them!

ElonPride
September 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Congrats man, have two little ones myself. Enjoy them!

Thanks! He'll be my first, and i can't wait for all the good and challenging times to come!

Skjellyfetti
September 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Good post, but to fc's point, it's a trend at app. One app fan asked who the president was when Elon last beat App. The better question is, who was the last sheriff of Watauga county when app didn't have a player in trouble.:D

And who did your coach choose to model his program on? On AND off the field? xcoffeex

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2lc7apv.jpg

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks! He'll be my first, and i can't wait for all the good and challenging times to come!

My first arrived Aug. 31. For some reason I thought the arrival of a son in the year of the golden dragon on a blue moon would ensure a Furman national championship. I was wrong.

asumike83
September 25th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Montana just lost by 20 to NAU so I'm not certain it is. App looks like a 7-4 team through 4 games to me. Can they improve, of course, but let's see what this young team brings each week.

Hate to nitpick but Montana only lost by 10 and it was a 3-point game going into the 4th. NAU has a very solid team this year as well. Obviously, it looks like App and Montana were each ranked to high when they played but I still view it as a quality win at this point. I think that both teams are likely to finish 7-4/8-3.

Eaglesrus
September 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM

My one and only is 35 and I assure you there will be plenty of both, but also that it will be vastly rewarding. Congratulations!

CID1990
September 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM

This thread is terrible and signifies why I don't post as much as I used to. Recycling the same smack talk of 3 years ago is terrible. I don't give a **** if elon is terrible or not, because them being terrible won't give us a win saturday.

In the meantime, if we're going to make comments as to how much the other team sucks and has bad people or whatever, let's just keep bringing up any coach going for 2 to win a game but failing miserably, a player that did something stupid but graduated/was kicked off years ago and mock the other team's fans accordingly (you can literally name at least one for every team. No joke.), or bring up a game that happened almost an entire graduating class ago and mock supporters of said team accordingly.

^^^^^this is all one needs to talk smack on AGS.

Oh yeah? Well then if we upset Wofford in Spartanburg I will expect you to resist the urge to remind us that we hadn't done it in what? 11 meetings?

Ancient history, after all.

FUGameBreaker
September 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
This Saturday is going to be very interesting in the SoCon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrDPjpfMs2M&feature=player_embedded

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM
This Saturday is going to be very interesting in the SoCon!

How may times are you going to post the same video?

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hate to nitpick but Montana only lost by 10 and it was a 3-point game going into the 4th. NAU has a very solid team this year as well. Obviously, it looks like App and Montana were each ranked to high when they played but I still view it as a quality win at this point. I think that both teams are likely to finish 7-4/8-3.

At the end of the day, I think that neither App State nor Montana are as good as they were perceived to be in the pre-season. Both are still plenty dangerous, though.

asumike83
September 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I know I am a little late to the party/pissing match about "moral victories" but here is my take:

A loss is a loss, no question about it. That being said, I see no problem with taking positives in defeat depending on how your team played. For example, the better team won in both of Appalachian's losses but did I feel the same about our team after The Citadel loss as I did after ECU? Not even close. Playing even with ECU for three quarters and outgaining them offensively were good signs about what this team can do. The game also exposed areas that we needed to work on, mainly special teams and depth in the secondary. They burned us on two big returns that tilted the game in their favor. The huge drop-off from first to second string at cornerback was very apparent when Doug Middleton went down and they began to move the ball through the air with relative ease. That is football and you've got to have guys behind your starters ready to step in.

I have no problem with pointing out what we did well in that game. My issue comes when fans take the conversation to "we would have won this game if not for...". We lost both games and deservedly so but I thought we made a good showing in Greenville and made them work hard to get out of there with a win. Obviously, The Citadel was a different story. We put up over 400 yards of offense in that game as well but too much came in garbage time to really be meaningful.

FUGameBreaker
September 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
How may times are you going to post the same video?

Well since it apparently annoys you monkey boy, I will do it again, this now makes the third time, enjoy xnodxxlolx

biggie
September 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
FurmanWins has duplicate accounts too?

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Well since it apparently annoys you monkey boy, I will do it again, this now makes the third time, enjoy xnodxxlolx

Third time everyone ingores it anyway. It looks like 15 FU students crashed a local high school game, with the same colors.

GlassOnion
September 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
FurmanWins has duplicate accounts too?

Yes. FurmanWins disappeared after FU loss,, and this guy shows up. Coincidence, I think not.

CID1990
September 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Considering the student body at Furple I'd say every day is a white out.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Considering the student body at Furple I'd say every day is a white out.

Did a Citadel man just comment on student body diversity? :)

When looking at the percentages, Furman is nowhere near the whitest school in the SoCon.

CID1990
September 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM

When looking at the percentages, Furman is nowhere near the whitest school in the SoCon.

Yeah you guys are diverse. 50% regular Baptist, 25% primitive Baptist, 20% reformed, 2% snake handlers, 2% non hackers who got kicked out if Bob Jones for holding hands or looking askance or libidinous thoughts, 1% Chinese that are waiting to tranny to Wofford.

ElCid
September 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah you guys are diverse. 50% regular Baptist, 25% primitive Baptist, 20% reformed, 2% snake handlers, 2% non hackers who got kicked out if Bob Jones for holding hands or looking askance or libidinous thoughts, 1% Chinese that are waiting to tranny to Wofford.

Oh My God. That was too funny. I read this to my wife and she is still laughing. She almost went there, but ended up at Converse instead.

Apphole
September 25th, 2012, 06:13 PM

I honestly thought it was a cocaine reference.

SpeedkingATL
September 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I honestly thought he was talking about the seat backs at the stadium on game days but I remembered those are silver.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah? Well then if we upset Wofford in Spartanburg I will expect you to resist the urge to remind us that we hadn't done it in what? 11 meetings?

Ancient history, after all.

13 actually ;) but no, I'm actually more interested in the trends of us whipping your tale as of late (moreso than usual) and the trend of you guys playing us relatively better at our place than yours. One trend will continue while the other will succumb to the law of averages.

fc97
September 26th, 2012, 07:12 AM
for the record, massey says

11- the citadel
14- georiga southern
16- wofford
25- samford
26- appalachian state
39- elon
46- furman
59- utc
68- western

first time in a decade where all teams are in the top 70 and tending up.

Skjellyfetti
September 26th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Probably close to a decade without a team in the top 10.

GlassOnion
September 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Probably close to a decade without a team in the top 10.

This. Its far better to have 2-3 great teams, 4-5 average teams, and 1 or 2 poor teams, than it is having 9 average teams.

fc97
September 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
This. Its far better to have 2-3 great teams, 4-5 average teams, and 1 or 2 poor teams, than it is having 9 average teams.

only if your team is in that 2-3 at the top; you've never had to live in the other group

but its also better than 2-3 great teams, 1-2 average teams and 4-6 poor teams which was the socon for years.

Smitty
September 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
for the record, massey says

11- the citadel
14- georiga southern
16- wofford
25- samford
26- appalachian state
39- elon
46- furman
59- utc
68- western

Woo hoo! 68th! We probably won't be this high later but still better than nothing

Saint3333
September 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
only if your team is in that 2-3 at the top; you've never had to live in the other group

but its also better than 2-3 great teams, 1-2 average teams and 4-6 poor teams which was the socon for years.

We only plan to rent our current location.

CID1990
September 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Well, the Massey rankings are results-based, with a healthy dose of position bias. Both ASU and GSU were in the top 10 at the beginning of the season. Samford, El Cid and Wofford are where they are because of nothing more than historical bias.

If the good teams in the conference win the ones they are supposed to, we'll have 3-4 in the top ten in a few weeks.

Finally, as I have said before, rankings don't mean anything; especially as an indicator of relative conference strength. Or do some of you guys prefer the opinions of others over on-field performance? For all we know the SoCon could be stronger this year than it has been in some time. We'll know for sure one way or the other in November and December.

OL FU
September 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Oh My God. That was too funny. I read this to my wife and she is still laughing. She almost went there, but ended up at Converse instead.

Converse Girls were fun to datexsmiley_wix

CID1990
September 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Oh hell yes they were, weren't they?

ElCid
September 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM

I actually met my wife after the 1982 Citadel Furman game. After the game I went over to Sparkle City for a little mixer with the Converse girls. I do know those girls could drink. I never realized southern girls could drink so much.:D

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM

Not. Any. More.

fc97
September 27th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Well, the Massey rankings are results-based, with a healthy dose of position bias. Both ASU and GSU were in the top 10 at the beginning of the season. Samford, El Cid and Wofford are where they are because of nothing more than historical bias.

If the good teams in the conference win the ones they are supposed to, we'll have 3-4 in the top ten in a few weeks.

Finally, as I have said before, rankings don't mean anything; especially as an indicator of relative conference strength. Or do some of you guys prefer the opinions of others over on-field performance? For all we know the SoCon could be stronger this year than it has been in some time. We'll know for sure one way or the other in November and December.

massey says on his site that he uses no bias. that's why everyone from FBS to NAIA is ranked and why everyone shuffles so much early in the season

OL FU
September 27th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Not. Any. More.

My vague recollection from back in the day was that Converse girls weren't high on Wofford Guys. It had nothing to do wtih Wofford guys, but more to do with a "Don't **** where you eat" philosophyxeyebrowx

SC-T-Dogg
September 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Who needed Converse girls, we had Wofford girls on site!

OL FU
September 27th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Who needed Converse girls, we had Wofford girls on site!

Once again a long time ago, but my recollection is they didn't go for Wofford guys either:p

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2012, 10:42 AM
My vague recollection from back in the day was that Converse girls weren't high on Wofford Guys. It had nothing to do wtih Wofford guys, but more to do with a "Don't **** where you eat" philosophyxeyebrowx

Nowadays Converse girls are kind of an inside joke among some Wofford student circles. With that said, I know a few and I can disagree with some of said conclusions

AppChicago
September 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
1) The Citadel
2) Wofford
3) Samford
4) GaSo
5) Appalachian State
6) Elon
7) FU
8) Chatty
9) Western

Predictions:
Western Carolina @ Furman- Poor Can'tAmounts.
Wofford @ Elon - Terriers stay strong.
Coastal Carolina @ Appalachian State- There are reasons to be worried about Coastal, but I think the 'Neers are on the upswing again.
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - - Chatty can't get it done against a speedy El Cid aching from an ACC beatdown.
Samford @ Georgia Southern - Flies in the face of my rankings, but I placed Samford high because of their record, not their potential. I'll believe they can beat the Eagles when I see it.

boonegoon
September 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Nowadays Converse girls are kind of an inside joke among some Wofford student circles. With that said, I know a few and I can disagree with some of said conclusions

Kind of like the old Raleigh girl school mnemonic?
If you want a wife, go to Meredith
If you want a saint, go to Peace
If you want a piece, go to Saint (Marys)

asumike83
September 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Kind of like the old Raleigh girl school mnemonic?
If you want a wife, go to Meredith
If you want a saint, go to Peace
If you want a piece, go to Saint (Marys)

I can verify the accuracy of the last line. I grew up in Raleigh, those chicks were awesome.

CID1990
September 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Converse used to bus gals down to Charleston for our senior parties. Good times.

OL FU
September 28th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Times Change