PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State Demolishes UTC for first Socon win.

theasushow
September 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
34 unanswered points....enough said.

Horseshoe App
September 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
34 unanswered points....enough said.

hibernation eat crow this year

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Impossible! This was Chatty's year!!!

MorgantonAPPAlum
September 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
UTC played decent defense for most of the game, but their only scores came from our turnovers. At the end we were in young Huesman's nightmares.

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
The game's not even over yet.

It was 10-10 at the start of the 4th.

ASU_Fanatic
Yes sir!

CID1990
And the hits just keep on comin!

Gotta come to JHS next week, and our guys are going to be pissed.

theasushow
September 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
UTC played decent defense for most of the game, but their only scores came from our turnovers. At the end we were in young Huesman's nightmares.

yea UTC played pretty well on defense, but ASU's defense stuffed them the entire game as well. UTC was overmatched all day on offense.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM

I read your posts in Ron Swanson's voice. xthumbsupx

MorgantonAPPAlum
September 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
T-dog, I'm here. But anything now is garbage points. For most of the game we out gained them at least 2-1.

MorgantonAPPAlum
September 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
I read your posts in Ron Swanson's voice. xthumbsupx

LOL-now I going to find a waffle house and order all of the bacon and eggs that they've got.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
RIP chattown mocs

theasushow
September 22nd, 2012, 07:57 PM
I would say with today's loss, and a 1-3 record, Chatty is all but done as far as the playoffs go. Unless they run the SOCON table which i am sure we will be reminded of shortly.

ASU_Fanatic
September 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
We looked great today. Death of a dynasty Doe lmao

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I would say with today's loss, and a 1-3 record, Chatty is all but done as far as the playoffs go. Unless they run the SOCON table which i am sure we will be reminded of shortly.

Their lone win came against a D2 so yes, they have to run the table to get a playoff bid.... ain't gonna happen.

ASUG8
It was only a real victory, not the moral victory chattown has. We lost this game in many ways, which I'm sure he'll analyze in depth next week.

To the other Moc fans who I respect and admire, good game and best of luck going forward.xthumbsupx

SpeedkingATL
Total domination of an inferior offense. Spot em 10 then control the rest of the game. RIP for another year Mocs.

Jazzman1522
Does this mean we're down one entertaining poster for the rest of the year?

ASU_Fanatic
September 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM

Yea which really sucks

theasushow
September 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM

No no no, just give it time. He is pacing around in his bedroom right now preparing to launch his rebuttal thread...

mountaineerman
September 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
baaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaa the game should have been 34 to nothing

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Heard on Mocs video feed that Coach Huesman got into a verbal altercation leaving the field and the Police had to get involved.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Heard on Mocs video feed that Coach Huesman got into a verbal altercation leaving the field and the Police had to get involved.

http://media.al.com/alphotos/photo/9026007-standard.jpg

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM

"How dare you hit my little boy like that!!"

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
"How dare you hit my little boy like that!!"

Yeah, really! They cut the feed right after that, Im listening to their espn radio feed now, if halftime interview and the previous two years' post game interviews are any indication, this should be a super interview coming up tonight!

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Russ Huesman is classless. He let his love for his son drive off the star player and he just got taken to the wood shed by a team he's never beaten. What's left to do? Get arrested!

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
It doesn't get any easier for ASU. Coastal is hanging tough with Toledo in the 3rd quarter.

biggie
September 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Funny how one bad poster on ags can make your entire team hated.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Funny how one bad poster on ags can make your entire team hated.

3 years in a row now, shouldnt have that problem anymore! :D

Shattown... hello?

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
ASUs defense totally dominated the UTC offense. If not for the D forcing 2 turnovers the Mocs would not have scored....well still might have scored on the last drive vs ASU 2nd team...We are still a middle of the pack SoCon team...The Citadel looms, and if offense is anemic again, we will get drilled again.

biggie
September 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Hate to say it, but Robinson seems more dangerous at QB currently. Coache's son seems like a bad decision right now.

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
The dual-QB system has left both with little confidence.

Little Huesman is a freshman and prone to mistakes.

mountaineerman
September 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
shattown got shatted on bbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhahhhahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hate to say it, but Robinson seems more dangerous at QB currently. Coache's son seems like a bad decision right now.

Thats going to blow up in his face this week. Huesman sounded like a broken man on that interview.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM

Yup. Robinson moved the ball far better than Huesman. He was playing in the second half against a D willing to give up yards in exchange for the time running off the clock... but, he looked better on the drive or two in the first half as well. There might be a soap opera developing in the River City.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Robinson, IMO, did just about what Huesman did in 1st half..passes were off target, and he didn't gain many yards. Did lead the Mocs on a scoring drive vs ASU 2nd string. Robinson might still be paying penance for quiting the team after South Florida game. I suspect he will get more action next game.

biggie
September 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Any more info on Huseman/cops after the game?

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Robinson was playing App's subs in garbage time. Not a fair representation. Lil Huesman played well, but UTC got their asses beat tonight.

StorminASU
September 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
What did Huesman say during the halftime interview that was so bad?

mountaineer in Cane Land
September 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thougt App played well, happy to get win, but still alot of questions, when is Sumler going to play? Why was our starting offensive tackle suspended by the NCAA? I'll give credit to Chatt, their defense played there asses off, but their offense is horrible, Robinson should be starting if for no other reason to make plays with his feet, horrible crowd, homecoming against one of your biggest rivals, and only 13 thousand show up, and 3 thousand was App fans. Just an obsevation but it seems Huesman is losing control of this team, now he has a full blown qb controversy. His kid might someday be a pretty good qb, but what I saw, he is way over his head, and Robinson should be starting for the rest of the year.

appvette
September 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Paging Dr. chattownmocs....

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM

The interviewer asked him about his thoughts about the defense playing well and he responded "We missed a thousand tackles! A THOUSAND!" and then conceded that they got a couple turnovers and weren't awful.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM

Nothin. He just gets rather animated at times.

"We missed a thousand tackles, A thousand!!!" that one made me kinda laugh.

biggie
September 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
The crowd was 6th largest for utc. Can measure their crowds vs Nat Champ games.

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Brownie (Steve Brown on ASN) said he thinks "Mini-Tebow" has a better/more accurate arm than Robinson, but that Robinson is better at making plays with his feet. I couldn't watch the game, only listen, so that's all of the insight I can offer on the Chatty QB's.

Glad to see ASU rise to the occasion and beat a team they should beat.

cbarrier90
September 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
when is Sumler going to play?

He's been playing, but it's only his 3rd game in this offense. This is why I don't overreact to his transfer. Very rarely do you have a transfer come in and immediately set the world on fire, especially with the many weapons in this offense. We still have him for four years. Give it time.

Just an obsevation but it seems Huesman is losing control of this team, now he has a full blown qb controversy. His kid might someday be a pretty good qb, but what I saw, he is way over his head, and Robinson should be starting for the rest of the year.

...which pretty much every one, save for overly optimistic Moc fans, saw coming...

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. I'm really looking forward to see Chattown's next post. I hope it's a good one.

asucrutch23
September 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Thougt App played well, happy to get win, but still alot of questions, when is Sumler going to play? Why was our starting offensive tackle suspended by the NCAA? I'll give credit to Chatt, their defense played there asses off, but their offense is horrible, Robinson should be starting if for no other reason to make plays with his feet, horrible crowd, homecoming against one of your biggest rivals, and only 13 thousand show up, and 3 thousand was App fans. Just an obsevation but it seems Huesman is losing control of this team, now he has a full blown qb controversy. His kid might someday be a pretty good qb, but what I saw, he is way over his head, and Robinson should be starting for the rest of the year.

I agree with you. UTC offense looked terrible all game and it does sound like Russ might be losing control of the team.

However, the UTC announcers said this was the 5th largest crowd in Finley Stadium history (besides NC games). Game against GSU in 2010 was the largest crowd at around 17,000. So it sounds like this was a pretty decent number for UTC.

noogamoc
September 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Nice crowd, beautiful evening for football in Chattanooga. The beginning of the end of the Huesmn era. Got to start thinking of who will be the next sucker to take on this god forsaken program.

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Nice crowd, beautiful evening for football in Chattanooga. The beginning of the end of the Huesmn era. Got to start thinking of who will be the next sucker to take on this god forsaken program.

That's a bit cruel. He took a truly awful football program and brought them to the mid tier.

He does need a better OC/play-caller if he wants any chance of winning these types of games.

noogamoc
September 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
We're cursed...

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
That's a bit cruel. He took a truly awful football program and brought them to the mid tier.

He does need a better OC/play-caller if he wants any chance of winning these types of games.

IMO he took a mid tier program and kept them mid tier, but he's only half the package. He needs to be an FBS D coordinator, as for offense, he's lost. The UTC OL is truly terrible, and has been consistantly. I too think he's on his way out, and I think 40% of the reason is his son being on the team.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM

Little bit over the top there....the program is in far better shape than when he arrived....wins are up, giving is up, attendance is up, respect for the program is up. The UTC football job would attract a lot of applicants......and GlassOnion the Mocs were a lower-tier program when he arrived and at this point are a middle of the pack program...Still a lot of footbball to be played, but UTC does appear to be headed to another .500 season. Whether Huesman and Associates can take UTC to the next level, time will tell. Most of the team is FR, R-FR, and SO...only 5 or 6 SRs on 2 deep roster. Next year a stride needs to be taken to the next level.

UCMoc
September 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
IMO he took a mid tier program and kept them mid tier, but he's only half the package. He needs to be an FBS D coordinator, as for offense, he's lost. The UTC OL is truly terrible, and has been consistantly. I too think he's on his way out, and I think 40% of the reason is his son being on the team.

Except that the team was 1-11 in the last year before Heusman got there. His son is better than any other QB we have. Robinson can't throw at all (which is not to say that Heusman throws well).

So thanks for trying but you seem to be a bit misguided.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Except that the team was 1-11 in the last year before Heusman got there. His son is better than any other QB we have. Robinson can't throw at all (which is not to say that Heusman throws well).

It doesnt matter if his son is marginally better than Robinson. Its about perception, and Robinson walking off the team shows there is already a problem brewing, losing will only magnify it.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
You may be right about that GlassOnion...Mocs were also on NCAA probation 1st 2 years with 9 scholarships cut 2 yrs and practice time cut the first year. Not ready to give up on Huesman, but I think this could pose a problem and if Mocs go worse than 6-5 (which is very possible) the grumblings will start and his seat may get warm next year if more progress isn't seen. My guess is, unless he leaves, he will get his full 6 years (through 2014 season).

cbarrier90
September 22nd, 2012, 10:00 PM

For the life of me I can't understand why UTC can never put it together.

They have everything you would want as far as an FCS program is concerned. A great stadium (albeit off campus) that could be expanded if they ever got the crowds, 10K students, great talent feeders in GA and TN, and a nice, metro (when you consider other SoCon schools' towns) location. In addition, they're in one of the best conferences in the FCS and have great local media support.

Granted, 95% of Tennessee is ruled by Volunteer football in the fall, but UGA and GT have never held back GSU. What is the problem?

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Congrats to App State. They own us. Excuses are for losers and coffee is for closers. Best of luck the rest of the year.

UCMoc
September 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
You may be right about that GlassOnion...Mocs were also on NCAA probation 1st 2 years with 9 scholarships cut 2 yrs and practice time cut the first year. Not ready to give up on Huesman, but I think this could pose a problem and if Mocs go worse than 6-5 (which is very possible) the grumblings will start and his seat may get warm next year if more progress isn't seen. My guess is, unless he leaves, he will get his full 6 years (through 2014 season).

The grumblings may start, but prior to Huesman there was nobody here to grumble.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Congrats to App State. They own us. Excuses are for losers and coffee is for closers. Best of luck the rest of the year.

Good game buddy, good luck going forward, and beat The Citadel and pull the Socon back to even for us!

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Their lone win came against a D2 so yes, they have to run the table to get a playoff bid.... ain't gonna happen.

From the film I saw on the Mocs from the first two weeks of play against South Florida and Jacksonville State, I though this would be a team that would struggle to have a winning record. I'll be surprised if this squad wins more than four games and even that might be a reach. I expected UTC's offense to struggle against ASU's defense (young Huesman looked very slow to me) and I thought ASU would be able to move the ball on a Moc defense that isn't as good as last year's was.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
For the life of me I can't understand why UTC can never put it together.

They have everything you would want as far as an FCS program is concerned. A great stadium (albeit off campus) that could be expanded if they ever got the crowds, 10K students, great talent feeders in GA and TN, and a nice, metro (when you consider other SoCon schools' towns) location. In addition, they're in one of the best conferences in the FCS and have great local media support.

Granted, 95% of Tennessee is ruled by Volunteer football in the fall, but UGA and GT have never held back GSU. What is the problem?

Question has been asked many times by UTC fans..I attended UTC in the late 70s and early 80s and we were pretty good. I think funding has been a problem for a long time. That improved with Huesman's hiring. A donor remodeled the football office (though space is still sub par), an artificial turn practice field was added thanks to a donor, coaching salaries were increased. Facilities are still needed (Football offices, meeting rooms, etc are below many FCS teams). Budget is still tight.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
I agree with you. UTC offense looked terrible all game and it does sound like Russ might be losing control of the team.

However, the UTC announcers said this was the 5th largest crowd in Finley Stadium history (besides NC games). Game against GSU in 2010 was the largest crowd at around 17,000. So it sounds like this was a pretty decent number for UTC.

Was it Kidd Brewer Stadium West again tonight? Did ASU have more fans than UTC?

I'll always remember my last UTC-ASU game in Chattanooga. We counted about 200 fans in the stands for that wild 59-56 Mocs win in 2004.

TTUEagles
September 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
What does this say about the OVC, if JSU beats UTC then gets totally annihilated at EKU?

UCMoc
September 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Question has been asked many times by UTC fans..I attended UTC in the late 70s and early 80s and we were pretty good. I think funding has been a problem for a long time. That improved with Huesman's hiring. A donor remodeled the football office (though space is still sub par), artificial turf was added thanks to a donor, coaching salaries were increased. Facilities are still needed (Football offices, meeting rooms, etc are below many FCS teams). Budget is still tight.

I agree with all of the above. However, none of those things can come up with an offensive strategy that doesn't suck.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Question has been asked many times by UTC fans..I attended UTC in the late 70s and early 80s and we were pretty good. I think funding has been a problem for a long time. That improved with Huesman's hiring. A donor remodeled the football office (though space is still sub par), artificial turf was added thanks to a donor, coaching salaries were increased. Facilities are still needed (Football offices, meeting rooms, etc are below many FCS teams). Budget is still tight.

When Rodney Allison was still around, there were times when UTC practiced on top of a parking structure near old Chamberlain Field.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I agree with all of the above. However, none of those things can come up with an offensive strategy that doesn't suck.

It might help if you were starting the right QB. From my evaluation of UTC game film, it wouldn't be Junior Huesman taking snaps. You can also ask NFL scouts who they think is better, if you don't believe me. Your best chance to win is with Robinson. It looks more and more like another Kye Hamilton and Elon situation every week. People might remember that Wes Pope was moved to receiver by Paul Hamilton and then was moved back to QB by Pete Lembo and became a pretty good passer.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. I'm really looking forward to see Chattown's next post. I hope it's a good one.

You probably won't see Chattown again until the off-season, when he will start making those bold predictions again.

UCMoc
September 22nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
It might help if you were starting the right QB. From my evaluation of UTC game film, it wouldn't be Junior Huesman taking snaps. You can also ask NFL scouts who they think is better, if you don't believe me. Your best chance to win is with Robinson. It looks more and more like another Kye Hamilton and Elon situation every week. People might remember that Wes Pope was moved to receiver by Paul Hamilton and then was moved back to QB by Pete Lembo and became a pretty good passer.

Robinson can't throw the ball. He couldn't throw last year and it was his inability to throw this year that caused him to get less time (and then quit).

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 10:21 PM

I am not sure Robinson played better vs South Florida...a game he started...then he quit the team, which was stupid on so many levels, and insured he would be 2nd string and the job woud be Huesman's to lose ...so he has dug himself a hole to climb out of to be the starting QB...

asucrutch23
September 22nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
What does this say about the OVC, if JSU beats UTC then gets totally annihilated at EKU?

OVC is definitely better than it has been, but it's not because of JSU beating Chattanooga. They are really not a very good team. I expected them to be able to move the ball much more easily than they did (Especially after last weeks "defense"), but the ASU defense pretty much shut them down in all areas. They have no passing game and no O-line.

I think UTM, SEMO, TTU, EKU, and MSU are all pretty good teams. EIU is on the rise as well. But I don't think JSU beating UTC is the evidence you are looking for. xthumbsupx

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
You do not not half of what you spout off. I played for UTC and know for a fact that they never practiced on the parking surface anywhere. You are full of **** as usual. Chattanooga has been practicing at Scrappy Moore Field for well over 50 years. Our facilities our outstanding. You do not know squat about SoCon or College football. You only know how to run your mouth. App State has so many great fans and I pull for them to win Natty number 4. UTC never practiced on top of any parking garage. And you never played college football and would get your *** kicked if you ever ran your mouth in front of any of my old Chattanooga teammates. Total respect for App but none for your loud mouth bull****.

theasushow
September 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
whoa..

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Did you ever play for App? Have you ever scouted for a pro team? UTC has never practiced on top of any parking structure. You are full of ****. And have no idea of what you speak. Congrats to App and their wonderful fans. What a great tradition that they have. I hope that JM wins number four this year or real soon.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
whoa..

My reply was meant for Mr C.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
From the film I saw on the Mocs from the first two weeks of play against South Florida and Jacksonville State, I though this would be a team that would struggle to have a winning record. I'll be surprised if this squad wins more than four games and even that might be a reach. I expected UTC's offense to struggle against ASU's defense (young Huesman looked very slow to me) and I thought ASU would be able to move the ball on a Moc defense that isn't as good as last year's was.

Are you a scout?

AtlantaMountaineer
September 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
I was at the game and I do believe I was sitting next to Chattownmocs. He asked me in the second quater if my team was ever going to show up when App was down 10-0. I pointed to the yardage totals and said we have out gained you 3 to 1, we just have 2 turnovers Things should even out. Later he said he hated playing App because he usually finds a parking space right out side the gate but when we come he has to park several blocks away. Later, he asked me if the refs were from App. ?????

The Chatty fans in front of us spent the whole time talking about where they were going to go eat after the game. Half of them left at half time to go watch the Vanderbilt/Georgia game. And when App went up 13-10, the rest of the Chatty crowd fled the stadium. I was still biting my finger nails and they assumed the game was over, which is was shortly, but no Chatty fans were there to see it.

And while we were leaving town we listened to Huesman's postgame interview. I honestly thought the guy was going to lose it.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Did you ever play for App? Have you ever scouted for a pro team? UTC has never practiced on top of any parking structure. You are full of ****. And have no idea of what you speak. Congrats to App and their wonderful fans. What a great tradition that they have. I hope that JM wins number four this year or real soon.

1. No, I didn't attend ASU, or play there. My sheepskin is from Fresno State University.

2. I have numerous contacts in the National Football League and the scouting fraternity. I probably study more film than any other writer, or media person that I know of. Ask around from others in the field, if you don't believe me.

3. The parking lot story is indeed true and was pass along to me by UTC beat writers several years ago. I've covered college football for 35 years, including FCS and the Southern Conference for 20 years. I have plenty of contacts from around the country.

4. You can think I don't know what I'm talking about, but most knowledgable folks around here know otherwise.

Sorry that it is hard to take a tough loss

CID1990
September 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
You probably won't see Chattown again until the off-season, when he will start making those bold predictions again.

Nah, he might show up. It still isn't impossible for them to win the conference and make the playoffs, just VERY unlikely.

BTW I take it from this thread that the Mini-T-Bone didn't do so well?

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Robinson can't throw the ball. He couldn't throw last year and it was his inability to throw this year that caused him to get less time (and then quit).

And Huesman can't run a college offense right now against a good defense. So your point is? Robinson's ability with his legs is better than having a deer-in-the-headlights freshman back there, who is slow for the SoCon and can't make good enough decisions at this point. I agree Huesman has a better arm, but there is a lot more to being effective at QB than that.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
I am not sure Robinson played better vs South Florida...a game he started...then he quit the team, which was stupid on so many levels, and insured he would be 2nd string and the job woud be Huesman's to lose ...so he has dug himself a hole to climb out of to be the starting QB...

It sounded to me like Robinson quit the team when Little Huesman was made the starter. I could go into more on my impressions of the UTC-South Florida game, but I don't have the time or space here. One thing that is for certain is that Robinson had really poor field position to work with in the USF game and the OL play in front of him was atrocious.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Haven't watched Chatty, but it would seem to me that if you don't have a running back (or at least the means to open holes for him) you should go with the running QB and not a true freshman pocket passer.

I think Huesman's a good coach, but he kind of comes off to me as a guy that thinks the only right way to do offense is the way the NFL does it.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Are you a scout?

I am a national journalist covering FCS that takes his job seriously and, hence, I watch as much game film and see as many games on TV, too, as I can get my hands on. Just last week, I watched pretty much the entire first two weeks of every game involving the SoCon teams, because I had access to all of that film. I've learned to breakdown film since I was allowed to watch the old eight-millimeter high school film during my prep days, nearly 40 years ago (yes, I am old).

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Haven't watched Chatty, but it would seem to me that if you don't have a running back (as UTC doesn't seem to have) you should go with the running QB and not a true freshman pocket passer.

Problem isnt as much RB as it is O line.

Their sweep play must be abolished. It was stuffed over and over, and still they came.

bobcathpdevil56
September 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I am a national journalist covering FCS that takes his job seriously and, hence, I watch as much game film and see as many games on TV, too, as I can get my hands on. Just last week, I watched pretty much the entire first two weeks of every game involving the SoCon teams, because I had access to all of that film. I've learned to breakdown film since I was allowed to watch the old eight-millimeter high school film during my prep days, nearly 40 years ago (yes, I am old).

Baaazing

Mr. C
You do not not half of what you spout off. I played for UTC and know for a fact that they never practiced on the parking surface anywhere. You are full of **** as usual. Chattanooga has been practicing at Scrappy Moore Field for well over 50 years. Our facilities our outstanding. You do not know squat about SoCon or College football. You only know how to run your mouth. App State has so many great fans and I pull for them to win Natty number 4. UTC never practiced on top of any parking garage. And you never played college football and would get your *** kicked if you ever ran your mouth in front of any of my old Chattanooga teammates. Total respect for App but none for your loud mouth bull****.

Who is running their mouth? I guess you can't handle the truth. I'll put my knowledge of SoCon football up against anyones after 20 years of covering the league. After 35 years of covering EVERY level of college football, I'll put my knowledge there up against anyone's as well. I didn't say UTC practiced on top of a parking garage every day, but there were times when Rodney Allison was there where the Mocs did just that. I know the beat writers who witnessed it. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

utcfan
It sounded to me like Robinson quit the team when Little Huesman was made the starter. I could go into more on my impressions of the UTC-South Florida game, but I don't have the time or space here. One thing that is for certain is that Robinson had really poor field position to work with in the USF game and the OL play in front of him was atrocious.

OL play bad both for both QBs and RBs...I also am not sure about Mocs WRs....On paper and listening to radio Huesman seemed to playrd better,perhaps film show different....but stick with quitting being stupid on many levels....

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Problem isnt as much RB as it is O line.

Their sweep play must be abolished. It was stuffed over and over, and still they came.

I haven't seen today's game yet (will get the videos the next time I'm in Boone), but you are right about the OL problems, based on the first two games and the trouble with the sweep is that UTC doesn't have the speed, or quickness to run that against faster SoCon squads like ASU.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM
OL play bad both for both QBs and RBs...I also am not sure about Mocs WRs....On paper and listening to radio Huesman seemed to playrd better,perhaps film show different....but stick with quitting being stupid on many levels....

No one is being stupid. If your opinion is that Huesman is better, fine. It just isn't shared by a lot people I've talked to and it isn't my view. I feel you have a better chance to win with Robinson. Otherwise, UTC might be headed for a battle with Western Carolina for the SoCon cellar this season.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM
You are dead wrong about UTC practicing on a parking deck. I am well aware of the UTC beat writers from 35 years ago. Covering college football does not mean that that you know a damn thing about football. Buddy Nix has forgotten more football than you will ever know. Please explain to me where that practice parking lot was? You are so full of **** about that, that it stinks. Ask Jack Hodges if he knows anything about your concrete parking lot.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=FCS_pwns_FBS;1849645]Haven't watched Chatty, but it would seem to me that if you don't have a running back (or at least the means to open holes for him) you should go with the running QB and not a true freshman pocket passer.

Huesman is not a pure pocket passer, and is a R-FR came from a spread offense in HS and ran fairly frequently...don't know how fast he is, not as fast as Robinson, but not a drop back QB.

UCMoc
September 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM

Couple of points: Line play was the same for both, but when the defense knows you can't throw, all they have to do is stop the run. It may make it seem like blocking is worse, but it's just easier to gameplan against a one dimensional QB.
Second, I'm not sure where you heard that Huesman had been set as the starter, but nothing that has come out here indicates that. Everyone has said quite the opposite. Even Robinson said it was because he didn't want to share reps.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
No one is being stupid. If your opinion is that Huesman is better, fine. It just isn't shared by a lot people I've talked to and it isn't my view. I feel you have a better chance to win with Robinson. Otherwise, UTC might be headed for a battle with Western Carolina for the SoCon cellar this season.

Actually I said film may have shown different than radio and stats...meant I was conceding your pt.... Meant Robinson quitting was stupid for a lot of reasons....Also, I thought in the spring Robinson should have been named #1 as was the returning starter and should be his job to lose.... also thought coming out of HS Huesman would end up a possession WR....though It looked in Spring like he might be ok QB...

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Actually I said film may have shown different than radio and stats...meant I was conceding your pt.... Robinson quitting was stupid for a lot of reasons....Also, I thought Robinson should have been named #1 in Spring...and thought coming out of HS Huesman would end up a possession WR.

Agree with you on that. Kids make dumb, emotional moves all of the time in college and this was one of them. I just think a lot of us are seeing a Paul Hamilton Deja Vu all over again with Huesman.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
You are dead wrong about UTC practicing on a parking deck. I am well aware of the UTC beat writers from 35 years ago. Covering college football does not mean that that you know a damn thing about football. Buddy Nix has forgotten more football than you will ever know. Please explain to me where that practice parking lot was? You are so full of **** about that, that it stinks. Ask Jack Hodges if he knows anything about your concrete parking lot.

I'll put my knowledge up against yours any day, sir. How much film do you watch? I didn't say that UTC practiced on a parking deck 35 years ago. But it did happen during fairly recent times. I could show you even where it happened if I was on campus. Quit arguing about something you do not know.

P.S. Not a fan of Buddy Nix after his involvement in firing a friend of mine, George Edwards, as the Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator at the end of last season. They made George a real scapegoat.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
I haven't seen today's game yet (will get the videos the next time I'm in Boone), but you are right about the OL problems, based on the first two games and the trouble with the sweep is that UTC doesn't have the speed, or quickness to run that against faster SoCon squads like ASU.

Lucky. Im hoping the video is archived on Goasu tomorrow as App and UTC share Neulion, but I have my doubts. I used to do quite well having 3 games on SportSouth that I could record, and the others not televised available on Goasu. I love rewatching the games on monday to see what I missed, its almost as exciting as real time, and without the nailbiting.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Agree with you on that. Kids make dumb, emotional moves all of the time in college and this was one of them. I just think a lot of us are seeing a Paul Hamilton Deja Vu all over again with Huesman.

I hope not...program has come a long way in 3 yrs...still has a ways to go...but next yr could be a good one if we get through this potential issue.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'll put my knowledge up against yours any day, sir. How much film do you watch? I didn't say that UTC practiced on a parking deck 35 years ago. But it did happen during fairly recent times. I could show you even where it happened if I was on campus. Quit arguing about something you do not know.

P.S. Not a fan of Buddy Nix after his involvement in firing a friend of mine, George Edwards, as the Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator at the end of last season. They made George a real scapegoat.

You are full of ****. Buddy Nix would laugh at you.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Lucky. Im hoping the video is archived on Goasu tomorrow as App and UTC share Neulion, but I have my doubts. I used to do quite well having 3 games on SportSouth that I could record, and the others not televised available on Goasu. I love rewatching the games on monday to see what I missed, its almost as exciting as real time, and without the nailbiting.

I get DVDs of both the coaches ODK version and the TV version as well. I have every ASU game from the early 2000s on and quite a few back into the 1990s.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:34 PM
You are full of ****. Buddy Nix would laugh at you.

And I might laugh right back at Buddy Nix (who wasn't around when they practiced on top of the parking garage — don't know why that bugs you so much). Actually, my first year covering the SoCon was the one and only year that Tommy West was the head coach of the Mocs. I missed the Buddy Nix era.

P.S. I had my nightly visit to the men's room earlier this evening, so you can quit telling me that I am full of stars. I'm also impressed with your 63 posts on AGS since 2005. Keep up the good work.

GlassOnion
September 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
I get DVDs of both the coaches ODK version and the TV version as well. I have every ASU game from the early 2000s on and quite a few back into the 1990s.

I wish theyd sell them in the bookstore. I recently just got rid of a banker's box and a half full of VHS tapes. I need Dvds. I laid my VCR to rest so I could fit more new fangled gadgets in my entertainment center.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:44 PM
I wish theyd sell them in the bookstore. I recently just got rid of a banker's box and a half full of VHS tapes. I need Dvds. I laid my VCR to rest so I could fit more new fangled gadgets in my entertainment center.

What did you do with the videos? How far did they go back? A lot of ASU supporters have DVDs of various games. I've said for a long time that we need to set up a way to trade DVDs and videos for all FCS teams on AGS. It would be awesome to get something like that going.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 11:50 PM
There was no parking garage built after Buddy left in 1992 and before Tommy came in 1993. Buddy Greene came in 1994 and again you are full of **** if you claim that UTC practiced on a parking deck. FYI- Buddy Nix started his career under Paul Bear Bryant and has since become one of the most respected football men in the business. You talking **** about my old coach is laughable. At 73, he would stomp your *** and make you feel like a fool when it it comes to football. Of course, he is an NFL GM, 1-AA HC SEC DC and you are a message board guru.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
There was no parking garage built after Buddy left in 1992 and before Tommy came in 1993. Buddy Greene came in 1994 and again you are full of **** if you claim that UTC practiced on a parking deck. FYI- Buddy Nix started his career under Paul Bear Bryant and has since become one of the most respected football men in the business. You talking **** about my old coach is laughable. At 73, he would stomp your *** and make you feel like a fool when it it comes to football. Of course, he is an NFL GM, 1-AA HC SEC DC and you are a message board guru.

You keep misreading things. I didn't say anything about WHEN the parking deck was built, just that UTC had practiced on one a few times during the Rodney Allison era. Better work on those reading skills you learned from your UTC education.

oldsouthernman
September 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
You keep misreading things. I didn't say anything about WHEN the parking deck was built, just that UTC had practiced on one a few times during the Rodney Allison era. Better work on those reading skills you learned from your UTC education.

They never practiced on a parking deck you moron.

Mr. C
September 22nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
They never practiced on a parking deck you moron.

Oh, the problems with denial. Maybe you better look Rodney Allison up and ask him. Of course this is improving your post count.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Huge props to Alex Coulthard and Will Corbin on the offensive line. Both starting tackles missed this game and these kids did an excellent job all day against a strong defensive line. We moved the ball consistently on offense and finally started cashing in late.

As for Chattanooga, I was not overly impressed with Huesman at QB but did not see enough of Robinson to compare. Aside from the last drive against the ASU back-ups, I think he only got one series at quarterback. Both have physical abilities but honestly, I feel badly for both of them because their OL is not good enough for them to be successful. The App DL has struggled to get pressure thus far but they were in the backfield on a fairly regular basis today.

oldsouthernman
September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM

You are so full of **** about UTC ever practicing on a parking deck. If you think that UTC has average football facilities, then you are a real jack ***. The fact that you think that you have progressed from reporter to scout is a freaking joke. You know more about players than Buddy Nix dont you?

T-Dog
September 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
You are so full of **** about UTC ever practicing on a parking deck. If you think that UTC has average football facilities, then you are a real jack ***. The fact that you think that you have progressed from reporter to scout is a freaking joke. You know more about players than Buddy Nix dont you?

Nobody is claiming to be a scout, but I've evaluated talent as part of my various jobs for many years. Pretty sad when you have to resort to profanity to get your points across. You have proven your reading skills are suspect. Did you graduate from UTC?

Who said anything about knowing more than Buddy Nix? I've never even met Buddy Nix. Are you Buddy Nix? I haven't heard Buddy Nix evaluating UTC talent lately. He has enough trouble of his own trying to figure out how to make the Buffalo Bills a winner.

And again, UTC has practiced on a parking deck. I never said anything about how average UTC's current facilities are, though I have covered games at Chamberlain Field, which wasn't exactly a first-class stadium at the FCS level.

seantaylor
September 23rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Coulson is an absolute joke. One thing I will agree with Chatty fans about.

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Little bit over the top there....the program is in far better shape than when he arrived....wins are up, giving is up, attendance is up, respect for the program is up. The UTC football job would attract a lot of applicants......and GlassOnion the Mocs were a lower-tier program when he arrived and at this point are a middle of the pack program...Still a lot of footbball to be played, but UTC does appear to be headed to another .500 season. Whether Huesman and Associates can take UTC to the next level, time will tell. Most of the team is FR, R-FR, and SO...only 5 or 6 SRs on 2 deep roster. Next year a stride needs to be taken to the next level.

It's definitely in better shape. I do think the issue at QB could cause problems, but the biggest problem is the OL. I hope they can get it turned around because the more good teams the SoCon has, the better.

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM

I was full of **** once, but then I took some Milk of Magnesia. Cleared everything right up!

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
- This one time, in Chattanooga, UTC practiced on a parking deck.

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- YOU'RE STUPID!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- BUDDY NIX!

- BUDDY NIX!

- YOU'RE NO BUDDY NIX!

- I KNOW!

- YOU'RE STUPID!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- UTC NEVER PRACTICED ON A PARKING DECK, ALSO BUDDY NIX!

- YES HUH!

/end scene

Did I catch everything? xlolx

cbarrier90
September 23rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
- This one time, in Chattanooga, UTC practiced on a parking deck.

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- YOU'RE STUPID!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- BUDDY NIX!

- BUDDY NIX!

- YOU'RE NO BUDDY NIX!

- I KNOW!

- YOU'RE STUPID!

- NUH UH!

- YES HUH!

- UTC NEVER PRACTICED ON A PARKING DECK, ALSO BUDDY NIX!

- YES HUH!

/end scene

Did I catch everything? xlolx

Buddy Nix and/or a conglomeration of UTC alums and fans would beat him up if they heard about what he said.

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Buddy Nix and/or a conglomeration of UTC alums and fans would beat him up if they heard about what he said.

Damn, I always leave something out! xlolx

GlassOnion
September 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
What did you do with the videos? How far did they go back? A lot of ASU supporters have DVDs of various games. I've said for a long time that we need to set up a way to trade DVDs and videos for all FCS teams on AGS. It would be awesome to get something like that going.

Tossed the majority. Not all were football, I had some basketball mixed in, from about 2000 on. You know how they get all fuzzy and jumpy after some years. I kept some notable games like Wofford on Halloween, GSU, and Montana, and already have the Dvds sold by App, and a couple from ncaa. Ncaa sells the dvd of games, but the must get a number of requests before they record sell it.

blueballs
September 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Old southern man is hilarious... you don't reckon he is our buddy Moc's daddy, do you?

So what if they practiced on a parking deck? Who cares?

GSU practiced on tennis courts during their early days under Erk Russell and that is a FACT... it didn't stop them from being the most successful 1-AA/FCS program in the history of the division.

asucrutch23
September 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Old southern man is hilarious... you don't reckon he is our buddy Moc's daddy, do you?

Nope, App State is Chattown's daddy as of about 9 PM yesterday.

I will tip my hat and call App State our daddy

GlassOnion
September 23rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Shattown still not checked in?

smallcollegefbfan
September 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Shattown still not checked in?

I'm 90% sure OldSoutherman is Chattownmocs. It's his name he uses when he doesn't want to use his usual name.

As for UTC I have watched the ODK tape on them and that defense was much better last year. Somehow those guys must have read the press clippings and got worse.

The only player on the defense with any shot to make a NFL team IMO is DJ Key. I like Key. If he keeps it up and has some big games you will see him on my postseason All-America list for sure. Dothard makes a lot of plays because of where he is in the UTC defense.

Best NFL prospects in the SoCon are Brent Russell, Aaron Mellette, and Demetrius MccCray. The Wofford RB, App SS, App ILB, Furman TE, Furman DE, and punter from The Citadel should get in camps. I don't think the SoCon is loaded with a lot of talent this year and UTC doesn't have but one or two free agents IMO.

james_lawfirm
September 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
ASUMountaineer:

Props to you sir. I was sitting here trying to think of some witty & tart reply here & you nailed it. I cannot do any better.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm 90% sure OldSoutherman is Chattownmocs. It's his name he uses when he doesn't want to use his usual name.

Well, OldSoutherman has a join date of Dec 05 and only 67 posts, so the MO fits as an alias. His syntax and vocabulary also fit Chattownmocs so you might be on to something. While I just joined, I have been lurking on the site for a couple years when I could and am familiar with UTC's favorite son.

utcfan
September 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=cbarrier90;1849573]For the life of me I can't understand why UTC can never put it together.

They have everything you would want as far as an FCS program is concerned. A great stadium (albeit off campus) that could be expanded if they ever got the crowds, 10K students, great talent feeders in GA and TN, and a nice, metro (when you consider other SoCon schools' towns) location. In addition, they're in one of the best conferences in the FCS and have great local

Follow up from my other response, from question on UTC forum..... to move the program to the next level is a simple 5 letter word M O N E Y . . . . . We need a football facility with coaches office and meeting rooms, as well as upgraded locker rooms, dedicated football only weight room. This is what Appy, Ga Southern, Wofford,etc have. . . .those kinds of facilities make a world of difference in recruiting, operations, etc. . . .

mountaineer in Cane Land
September 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
utcfan, do you know if there are plans for a fund drive to raise money to help the program? I agree with other post, I have never really understood, why Chatt is not more competative. If it is just money, why hasn't the administration, in the last 10 years done something about this? Is it just a lack of vision? Or has the administration made a decision not to put a significent amount of money into the program?

smallcollegefbfan
September 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Well, OldSoutherman has a join date of Dec 05 and only 67 posts, so the MO fits as an alias. His syntax and vocabulary also fit Chattownmocs so you might be on to something. While I just joined, I have been lurking on the site for a couple years when I could and am familiar with UTC's favorite son.

Chattownmocs is here but he is just lurking under that name. What he didn't realize, however, is that one of us (me) is very good at reading the language of a poster and knowing whether it's likely the same person wrote it or not. It takes a sadistic and crazy person to be able to change their language to that of someone else totally and he's not so insane he needs to be institutionalized, even if he does change it now. He didn't think to do it at first and I am pretty sure I have him busted.

Would a moderator check the IP address and confirm it? :)

cbarrier90
September 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM

I don't think the posters are the same. The style just doesn't fit.

Whereas Chattown enjoys making statements to rile the board up and completely ignores any reasoning whatsoever, Old Southern man posts like an older fan who enjoyed the prominence of UTC football back in the day and is extremely frustrated since the promise of a "Restoring of Glory" has not been fulfilled in its 4th year.

Chattown would never flat-out say "Congrats to App, they own us." Chattown would say "WE WERE UP 10-0 BEFORE POOR OFFICIATING AND COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE BY THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR MESSED UP HUESMAN'S RHYTHM AND LOST THE GAME FOR US. WE ARE STILL BETTER. I'M NOT EATING CROW."

OSM was fine with accepting his fate and seemed to keep his emotions bottled up well (though the frustration was obvious) until Mr. C commented on the state of the program, and he snapped.

Apphole
September 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I never post after Chattanooga loses. False statement.

http://www.schrutespace.com/images/photos/mr-schrute.jpg

ASUMountaineer
September 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
ASUMountaineer:

Props to you sir. I was sitting here trying to think of some witty & tart reply here & you nailed it. I cannot do any better.

xlolx thanks bud!

AppApp
September 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Big win for ASU, way to get it done!

smallcollegefbfan
September 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Where is Chattownmocs? I really would like to hear his expertise on why UTC lost in this one. I personally didn't think the UTC defense was better than average based on the film I have seen but I am sure he disagrees and I'm curious as to why. My personal opinion is the only player with a shot at the NFL is DJ Key and he would be a free agent but I would like to hear what he thinks. His alter ego OldSoutherman want to chime in?

MorgantonAPPAlum
September 25th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Where is Chattownmocs? I really would like to hear his expertise on why UTC lost in this one. I personally didn't think the UTC defense was better than average based on the film I have seen but I am sure he disagrees and I'm curious as to why. My personal opinion is the only player with a shot at the NFL is DJ Key and he would be a free agent but I would like to hear what he thinks. His alter ego OldSoutherman want to chime in?

Probably floating face down in the Tennessee river (somewhere in northern Alabama by now if he threw himself off a convenient bridge in Chattanooga late Saturday night).