PDA

View Full Version : Elon at GSU

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Apparently the off week didn't help...

GSU with 3 lost fumbles in their own territory, one inside their 20, one inside the 5, leads to an Elon TD and 2 FG's.

Elon 13-6 at half.

This is beyond embarrassing...

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
GSU scores in 2 plays coming out of the half... 13 all.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 06:56 PM
GSU gets an INT off a tip to set up a FG... 16-13 GSU w/6:22 Q3.

Sloppy ball handling on both sides and a TON of penalties.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Monken needs to rip someone a new one!!!!!! We can't play like this against App and Furman and expect to play for the championship

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Elon drives 77 yards all through the air to take the lead... 20-16 late in the third.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
20-16 Elon. I didn't think it would be a blowout.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
This is giving me heartburn!!!

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
GSU runs the ensuing kick back 60 yards and scores 5 plays later... 23-20 GSU with about 2 minutes to go Q3.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Elon hits a big pass play to take it down to the GSU 5 as the 3rd qtr ends... Elon has 2nd and goal when we reconvene.

23-20 GSU for the time being...

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
GSU gets a sack on third and goal and holds Elon to a FG... 23 all with 14:30 Q4.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
forget heartburn...i'm gonna have a stroke the way we're playing

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm telling you. ELON CAN PLAY.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM

They're better than they were but GSU is killing themselves with turnovers and penalties... unforced errors that have made this a close game.

GSU just missed a FG when the kicker kicked it into the snapper's rear end.

23 all with about 9:30 to go Q4.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Did monken talk w/ Shewak before the game???

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Elon goes 3 and out... GSU takes over at their own 29 w/7:44 to go

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
I know Elon can play, but we need to restore the aura of Paulson Stadium!!!! Plus, we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot!!!!

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
GSU hits two big plays to get in the red zone and then, true to form, takes a penalty to put them behind the chains.

GSU actually makes a FG- yeah really, they made one- to go up 26-23 with 3:40 to go.

eaglewraith
September 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM

3 unforced turnovers deep in your own territory make things look a little different.

Elon not doing anything special on defense, although their DL is taking it to our OL. We're having trouble blocking and having a hard time holding onto the ball.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
GSU is killing themselves with turnovers and penalties...

Same thing in Citadel game. Is it a trend?

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
The penalties need to stop!!!

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM

Inexperience...

GSU just forced a fumble (took the ball away from a receiver on a completed pass) and took over on their own 25 with about a minute and a half to go.

IF, and it is a big if, they don't fumble they should be able to run it out.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Turnovers=part of the game. I mean, come on you guys turnovers were the difference between a decent Elon team and a sub-par Elon team last year. Turning the ball over is certainly an asterisk of some games, but give credit where credit is due, otherwise you're just sounding whiny. GSU will likely win this game, but you sound like Furmanwins or chattown if you pretend the only reason it was close was because of some sort of anomalous activity (that seems to be a trend at this point)

eaglewraith
September 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Turnovers=part of the game. I mean, come on you guys turnovers were the difference between a decent Elon team and a sub-par Elon team last year. Turning the ball over is certainly an asterisk of some games, but give credit where credit is due, otherwise you're just sounding whiny. GSU will likely win this game, but you sound like Furmanwins or chattown if you pretend the only reason it was close was because of some sort of anomalous activity (that seems to be a trend at this point)

I've watched the game. Elon is not anything to write home about. They are a sub par team. We just played awfully today as well.

They did a good job against our OL though, I will give them credit on that.

Also held Mellete to only 68 yards.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2012, 07:57 PM
SoCon WIDE open this year for sure.

Trajanus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Palpitations can stop now!!!!! We Win!!!

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
I've watched the game. Elon is not anything to write home about. They are a sub par team. We just played awfully today as well.

They did a good job against our OL though, I will give them credit on that.

Also held Mellete to only 68 yards.

but they only lost by 3. So what does that make GSU? only at par? Look, I'm all for thinking GSU is a good team and Elon is an average team at best but in this situation your dialogue is comparable to the trolls as if you're implying that if GSU doesn't turn the ball over they'll win 60-0 against everyone.

blueballs
September 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM

Not really YT... all 3 turnovers that led to Elon points were unforced errors- dropping the snap, dropping a pitch on a toss sweep, bad pitch. Combine that with 10 penalties and you have a sputtering offense.

The same thing happened last week. The second fumble was on a dropped pitch- an unforced error.

If you had watched the game GSU rushed for 330+ and Elon couldn't run against GSU at all. Penalties and turnovers just killed their momentum time and again.

Elon had a couple of nice drives and they are vastly improved but if both teams play a clean game GSU is 3 scores better.

It was the same thing as last week... GSU outgains the opponent by over 100 yards but fumbles deep in their own end that are unforced make the game closer than it should be.

And yes, YT, it appears to be a trend, a trend caused by inexperience. The talent is no doubt there becuase you see flashes, but the consistency of execution isn't yet. GSU will be trouble when they get it down- but who knows when that will be?????

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Not really YT... all 3 turnovers that led to Elon points were unforced errors- dropping the snap, dropping a pitch on a toss sweep, bad pitch. Combine that with 10 penalties and you have a sputtering offense.

The same thing happened last week. The second fumble was on a dropped pitch- an unforced error.

If you had watched the game GSU rushed for 330+ and Elon couldn't run against GSU at all. Penalties and turnovers just killed their momentum time and again.

Not to mention that Elon was swarming the LoS and not showing any respect for the pass, and our coaches didn't seem to want to try and throw it (unless it was third and long). Izzy looked a lot better throwing the ball, though. The passing must've looked hideous in practice this week for us to just keep running it like that.

biggie
September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Was a bit shocked at this score as I followed this one. So apparently the new QB has caused some TO issues for GSU so far?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Was a bit shocked at this score as I followed this one. So apparently the new QB has caused some TO issues for GSU so far?

Yes, but Youyoute was the only reason we won today. He made something out of absolutely nothing several times today. He is our biggest asset and biggest liability right now.

GSU EAGLES
September 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM

He looks lost out there. It looks as if he has never run the option before and has no clue how to pitch the ball. Our other QB finished the game and may end up being the starter next game.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
but they only lost by 3. So what does that make GSU? only at par? .

Right now yes. The O-Line is not sustaining blocks and both Elon and Citadel's defenses got lots of penetration.

Tonight, the "fumbles" were pitch-related and 2 on bad snaps. No contact fumbles.

I think this offense will get better like 2010, but it's obvious that we're hurting on the O-Line.

I'll probably drop GSU in my poll this week.
Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
SoCon is wide open, folks.

ElCid
September 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
SoCon is wide open, folks.
Does look that way. Apparently even Elon and Western have been resurrected, to a degree. Both could have (should have?) won today. And the way Cid looked, even at a fairly good NC St, I all of sudden do not think our stock is as high as it was. It is going to be a fun few weeks.

Gringer1
September 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
GSU will go as the QB position goes. If the Eagles can't get the guy behind center to make the right read and deliver a clean pitch, it's going to be a little rough in the coming weeks.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Does look that way. Apparently even Elon and Western have been resurrected, to a degree. Both could have (should have?) won today. And the way Cid looked, even at a fairly good NC St, I all of sudden do not think our stock is as high as it was. It is going to be a fun few weeks.

We lost (although I predicted by 28) but we got our paycheck, had no injuries, and both our offensive and defensive lines have plenty film to look at and improve on. State manhandled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. They are also fast, and had good pursuit. We will not see another defense like that all season.

Now lets get ready to give Chatty a down home Johnson Hagood welcome next week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
GSU will go as the QB position goes. If the Eagles can't get the guy behind center to make the right read and deliver a clean pitch, it's going to be a little rough in the coming weeks.

One of those pitches was not his fault. Izzy made a good pitch and it hit McKinnon (who wasn't ready for it) in the back.

Gringer1
September 22nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
I'm not saying that everything was Izzy's fault, but the execution from the QB position is our biggest problem right now. We just look sloppy and lost on most plays.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
I thought it was impossible to win a game and feel as bad as I did after we lost in Charleston, but tonight, I think I proved myself wrong. A win is a win, but after having 2 weeks to prepare and then come out how we did tonight, it makes me sick. Glad we won, but I certainly wasn't celebrating. We have a long way to go, hopefully the improvement comes sooner rather than later or things could be rough in Statesboro again.

Eagle22
September 22nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
He looks lost out there. It looks as if he has never run the option before and has no clue how to pitch the ball. Our other QB finished the game and may end up being the starter next game.

Only reason McKinnon finished up was that Youyoute was cramping up the last series.

seantaylor
September 23rd, 2012, 02:56 AM
Monken needs to rip someone a new one!!!!!! We can't play like this against App and Furman and expect to play for the championship

Not sure how good either of those teams are. Especially Furman. Woffy is the best team in the conference if we are still fing up.

HandoEX
September 23rd, 2012, 04:11 AM
Which GaSo fan said Shaw was the worst option quarterback ever? Need this new kid to be smart like Shaw was. Good luck the rest of the way.

GSUwinsagain
September 23rd, 2012, 06:07 AM
Elon also had 3 turnovers, 1 was questionable on a possible game winning drive at our 15, so stop with the turnover excuse. Elon played tough on D and made enough plays on O to keep in close.
GSU is talented just not that good right now.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Inexperience...

GSU just forced a fumble (took the ball away from a receiver on a completed pass) and took over on their own 25 with about a minute and a half to go.

IF, and it is a big if, they don't fumble they should be able to run it out.

Excellent post. Totally agree.

blueballs
September 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Overlooked in the quagmire that is the GSU offense this year is the performance of their defense. Based on the last 4 games last year and the losses they incurred in the secondary and at MLB I had serious questions leading into this year.

GSU gave up 46 points combined in two conference games and 27 of those came off turnovers in GSU territory. Elon had one first down in the fourth quarter last night and couldn't run the ball for squat. Mellette was "held" to 68 yards and was a non factor in the fourth quarter. The GSU pass rush came hard on the last drive and the game winning turnover was truly a forced turnover.

That to me is a pleasant surprise and bodes well going forward. GSU has too much talent and is too well coached to stink like they have offensively for the rest of the year. They will put it together at some point. The only questions is how many losses wil the Eagles have before everything clicks?

Samford comes to Paulson 4-0 next week in what is now a huge game... will next week be the week it clicks for the offense????? Or will the Eagles continue to shoot themselves in the foot and make these games nailbiters????

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
Not sure how good either of those teams are. Especially Furman. Woffy is the best team in the conference if we are still fing up.

Nobody knows how good Furman is. I have pretty much resigned myself to a "rebuilding" year, simply because we are playing something along the lines of 19 freshmen. Talent is there, experience is not.

However, though our pass defense has been pretty atrocious, our run defense has been rock solid. Probably will keep us in the conversation against the league's option teams.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Which GaSo fan said Shaw was the worst option quarterback ever? Need this new kid to be smart like Shaw was. Good luck the rest of the way.

It was my opinion that there was no player in the country who had such a profound affect on his team's success than Shaw. I think you are seeing the truth of that play out in real time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
It was my opinion that there was no player in the country who had such a profound affect on his team's success than Shaw. I think you are seeing the truth of that play out in real time.

We would have won 3 games at most without him in 2010 and wouldn't have won the SoCon without him last year. I agree with you in that respect. In many ways he was the team in the way Jayson Foster was in 2007, but just in a much less obvious way.

I still stand by my statements that once (if) this offense gels it will be better than either the 2010 or 2011 offenses. Izzy Youyoute had 100 yards rushing even though Elon showed no respect for the pass and our coaches didn't want to throw it unless it was 3rd and 10+. He is a playmaker. And don't overlook Swope. He had 1000 yards in six starts last year and averaged over 4 yards a carry against Alabama without the 82 yard run.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
We would have won 3 games at most without him in 2010 and wouldn't have won the SoCon without him last year. I agree with you in that respect. In many ways he was the team in the way Jayson Foster was in 2007, but just in a much less obvious way.

I still stand by my statements that once (if) this offense gels it will be better than either the 2010 or 2011 offenses. Izzy Youyoute had 100 yards rushing even though Elon showed no respect for the pass and our coaches didn't want to throw it unless it was 3rd and 10+. He is a playmaker. And don't overlook Swope. He had 1000 yards in six starts last year and averaged over 4 yards a carry against Alabama without the 82 yard run.

I've seen Furman play Georgia Southern a bunch. I've never seen Georgia Southern as good offensively as they were last year. Furman got blown out in that game, and by all accounts, the Paladins didn't even play that poorly.

blueballs
September 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I've seen Furman play Georgia Southern a bunch. I've never seen Georgia Southern as good offensively as they were last year. Furman got blown out in that game, and by all accounts, the Paladins didn't even play that poorly.

Yeah, GSU found a weakness on the edge and hit it time and again with great success but GSU's offense was better in 1986, 1998, 1999 and maybe 2004. Of course Furman was WAY better in 1999 and 2004 than they were last year too.

Monken's post game comments were very telling IMO. Among his quotes were "self inflicted wounds" and "just like 2010 we're a work in progress." In 2010 it didn't really click until the 9th game when GSU was 4-4 and had #1 ranked App coming to town and then they got on a roll and beat some really good teams. I believe- and Monken's comments lead me to believe he believes- that they'll get it worked out and be pretty good when they do.

I'll say one other thing too... last night's game was a game GSU would have lost in the Hatcher era. The kids played hard and didn't lie down in the face of adversity and made the big plays when they had to. Monken alluded to that when he said that he felt some kids grew up last night and that they will be better for it.

Eagle22
September 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Overlooked in the quagmire that is the GSU offense this year is the performance of their defense. Based on the last 4 games last year and the losses they incurred in the secondary and at MLB I had serious questions leading into this year.

GSU gave up 46 points combined in two conference games and 27 of those came off turnovers in GSU territory. Elon had one first down in the fourth quarter last night and couldn't run the ball for squat. Mellette was "held" to 68 yards and was a non factor in the fourth quarter. The GSU pass rush came hard on the last drive and the game winning turnover was truly a forced turnover.

That to me is a pleasant surprise and bodes well going forward. GSU has too much talent and is too well coached to stink like they have offensively for the rest of the year. They will put it together at some point. The only questions is how many losses wil the Eagles have before everything clicks?

Samford comes to Paulson 4-0 next week in what is now a huge game... will next week be the week it clicks for the offense????? Or will the Eagles continue to shoot themselves in the foot and make these games nailbiters????

Our defense will have to carry us at least through the Samford and WCU games before I think we'll be able to get our offensive kinks worked out. If we haven't made serious strides by that point, we'll be in trouble with Wofford @ home, Furman on the road and App @ home.

Fortunately though our defense is capable of being able to do just that. If the offense can quit turning the ball over inside the 20 a couple of times a game then I like our chances against pretty much anybody. Lots of different reasons, IMO, why our offense is struggling right now ... but I think they will be able to correct most of it.

whoanellie
September 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
sounds like you just defined what good defense is called you guys must have played great redzone D holding us to 3 FG's
3 unforced turnovers deep in your own territory make things look a little different.

Elon not doing anything special on defense, although their DL is taking it to our OL. We're having trouble blocking and having a hard time holding onto the ball.

pete4256
September 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM

Nah. The Paladins played poorly last year.

Judging by points per game, the 2011 team was the ninth-best GSU offense since 1985. We scored more points per game in 1986, 1989, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005. Furman was just better back then.

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Winning ugly beats losing pretty!xnodx Congrats, Eagles!