PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Stephen F Austin????????

OL FU
July 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Found the following on I-AA.org in the history section. what does it mean?

*Stephen F. Austin’s participation in 1989 Division I-AA championship vacated.

Cap'n Cat
July 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM

They used 89Hen as a ringer stat girl.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Baldy
July 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
It was disclosed after their I-AA championship loss to Georgia Southern that they cheated......NCAA rules violations and such. :)

Lumberjack85
July 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
To give you some detail. The head coach was found to have had some of the players washing his car, mowing the yard etc. There was one player that had marginal academic progress. The violations were not considered major so SFA kept it's Southland Conference Championship that year.http://www.sfajacks.com

blackfordpu
July 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
To give you some detail. The head coach was found to have had some of the players washing his car, mowing the yard etc. There was one player that had marginal academic progress. The violations were not considered major so SFA kept it's Southland Conference Championship that year.http://www.sfajacks.com

What is wrong with that?

GeauxColonels
July 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
What is wrong with that?
They were wearing nothing but thongs! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM
'JACKS......PULLED UH ENRON....TSK!...TSK!........IT'S JES' DUH WAY O' DUH WORLD.....POLITICIANS....CEO'S........COACHES..... .WAYWARD WIVES.......WAYWARD HUBBIES........IN DUH WORDS O' RALPH'S I-AA GURU...MR. BOB DYLAN..."EVERAH-THIN'S BROKEN".....:bawling:...AWK!

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM

As 89hen likes to remind me ( I live in the past) There was a certain team that stood in the way of another Furman/Ga Sou rematch. I realize I am a little late to the party but ..... it would upset me to know something worse than the snow stopped us.

Oh Hell it was a long time ago

McNeese72
July 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I always heard it was because SFA played an ineligible player during the year.

Doc

MACHIAVELLI
July 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM

So we get the "W" for that playoff game in 1989. We were already playing atleast against 15 people that day anyway. Eddie Rob 409 victories..:hurray: Where is Deriso when you need him?

fuEMO
July 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I always heard it was because SFA played an ineligible player during they year.

Doc

That's what I heard too. The 89 Paladins could have been one of the best Furman teams ever. DeBusk blows a knee in the first round against W&M. But Patrick Baynes stepped up and lead Furman to victory against W&M and Youngstown State. I'm sure OL FU remembers that we failed to convert on a 2pt conversion in the snow storm.

About the SFA team, I think Larry Centers was on that team, they also had a stud linebacker and the QB was a good one too.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
So we get the "W" for that playoff game in 1989. We were already playing atleast against 15 people that day anyway. Eddie Rob 409 victories..:hurray: Where is Deriso when you need him?

Ok I think I get where your are headed but I don't think anybody mentioned GSU. I said Ga Sou and Baldy said Georgia Southern:smiley_wi

Let's don't get carried away now:D

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
That's what I heard too. The 89 Paladins could have been one of the best Furman teams ever. DeBusk blows a knee in the first round against W&M. But Patrick Baynes stepped up and lead Furman to victory against W&M and Youngstown State. I'm sure OL FU remembers that we failed to convert on a 2pt conversion in the snow storm.

About the SFA team, I think Larry Centers was on that team, they also had a stud linebacker and the QB was a good one too.

I remember we handed them a 21 point lead and the fought back during the snow to catch up at the end and miss the 2 pointer.

Do I sound like a Eagle blaming the weather:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Nick Deriso talked about this team in his column...gotta love how he's all over AGS! ;)

Win No. ... 409?
One resourceful poster at AnyGivenSunday.com, digging around some old files, noticed an asterisk by Stephen F. Austin from the 1989 playoffs at I-AA.org: "Participation in 1989 Division I-AA championship vacated."

That got Grambling fans going. Could this add one more win to former coach Eddie Robinson's already legendary 408?

They remember well falling 59-56 at SFA in the playoffs that year, a gut-wrenching loss that helped the Lumberjacks to the title game. Georgia Southern won it all that year, 37-34 - one of four I-AA championship in five appearances in a period of domination from 1985-90.

The score, it turns out, didn't matter. SFA was hit with a penalty for secondary infractions that year, erasing the Lumberjacks appearance anyway.

However, SFA's conference title from that year - SFA has won two, with another in 1999 - still stands in the Southland record books. The same goes for its playoff bracket wins against Grambling, Southwest Missouri State and then Furman.

The SFA game was such a high-scoring affair that several new I-AA playoff offensive marks were set, including Lumberbacks quarterback Todd Hammel's net yards passing and GSU signalcaller's Clemente Gordon's 6 touchdown passes. Those numbers still appear in NCAA record books, too.

So, as good as 409 sounds, Robinson's historic win total remains at 408.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/07/win-no-409.html

RadMann
July 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Steve Austin? Wasn't he the Six Million Dollar Man? ;)

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Nick Deriso talked about this team in his column...gotta love how he's all over AGS! ;)

Win No. ... 409?
One resourceful poster at AnyGivenSunday.com, digging around some old files, noticed an asterisk by Stephen F. Austin from the 1989 playoffs at I-AA.org: "Participation in 1989 Division I-AA championship vacated."

That got Grambling fans going. Could this add one more win to former coach Eddie Robinson's already legendary 408?

They remember well falling 59-56 at SFA in the playoffs that year, a gut-wrenching loss that helped the Lumberjacks to the title game. Georgia Southern won it all that year, 37-34 - one of four I-AA championship in five appearances in a period of domination from 1985-90.

The score, it turns out, didn't matter. SFA was hit with a penalty for secondary infractions that year, erasing the Lumberjacks appearance anyway.

However, SFA's conference title from that year - SFA has won two, with another in 1999 - still stands in the Southland record books. The same goes for its playoff bracket wins against Grambling, Southwest Missouri State and then Furman.

The SFA game was such a high-scoring affair that several new I-AA playoff offensive marks were set, including Lumberbacks quarterback Todd Hammel's net yards passing and GSU signalcaller's Clemente Gordon's 6 touchdown passes. Those numbers still appear in NCAA record books, too.

So, as good as 409 sounds, Robinson's historic win total remains at 408.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/07/win-no-409.html

At least I know what Mach was talking about now:rotateh: :)