PDA

View Full Version : OVC Thrilled by Austin Peay's Return

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM
The Commissioner of the OVC, John Steinbrecher is "thrilled to death" that the Govs are returning to the OVC and scholarship football. Just need Morehead State and a few other non-schollies to follow Austin Peay's lead especially if the equivalent legislation passes...

OVC thrilled APSU returns in '07
Steinbrecher says Govs create union
By JAMES D. HORNE
The Leaf-Chronicle

NASHVILLE — The Ohio Valley Conference held its football media day Thursday at LP Field.

The Leaf-Chronicle caught up with OVC Commissioner Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher to talk about Austin Peay's return to scholarship this season and the OVC in 2007, and other topics about the conference and NCAA Division I-AA college football.

LC: First, talk about the excitement and joy as a commissioner you must have knowing Austin Peay makes its return to scholarship football this season and the OVC in 2007?

STEINBRECHER: "Well, we are an all-sports conference. So when you have a member or two that may have that sport, but doesn't participate in the conference, it leaves a little bit of a void.

"You understand it, recognize it and work around it. But I think it (Austin Peay's return) provides a better opportunity for us (as a conference) to help promote the total Austin Peay program, and it provides for Austin Peay a singular home for their athletics.

"So, it's a more complete union and I'm thrilled to death. It's a remarkable story.

"I'm not aware of any other institution that has done this, so it speaks volumes to the leadership of the institution."

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/SPORTS/607260344/1006

Maroons
July 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I'm glad he's thrilled... because I don't think anyone else is.

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I'm glad he's thrilled... because I don't think anyone else is.

You took the words right out of my mouth.xlolx

NoCoDanny
July 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
OK so I'll bite, why aren't they thrilled to have another team in the fold?

Cocky
July 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM
OK so I'll bite, why aren't they thrilled to have another team in the fold?
They are a basketball school and not much else. Not enough funds will be spent on football to make it competitive.

Golden Eagle
July 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I'm still thrilled.

DUPFLFan
July 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Austin Peay couldn't compete in the PFL...

Good luck competing as a scholarship program...

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I'm thrilled, not because of what Peay immediately brings to the table, but because of what it does for conference unity...and what it says about the commitment to football around the OVC. Admitedly, out of the two, Morehead State would be a much better program to bring back into the fold, but I applaud Austin Peay for recognizing the value of taking football seriously again. I honestly think this renewed commitment might even lead to some success on the field (down the road a bit).

COME ON MOREHEAD...get over the PFL already and come on home!

NoCoDanny
July 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Does Morehead State still have that auxiliary campus? I believe it's called Little Morehead.