PDA

View Full Version : OVC Schools Ducking Bethune-Cookman?

superman7515
September 19th, 2012, 06:47 AM
BCU Athletics - BCU, TSU Get Match-Up They Wanted (http://www.bcuathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205688219&DB_OEM_ID=23910)

"It's a win-win," Jenkins said. "You have two quality staffs and two conferences who have an urge to make the playoffs."

Facing a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) could help Bethune-Cookman, or any other Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference program for that matter, when the FCS decision makers are putting together playoff brackets in November.

"We've reached out to many OVC schools and Coach Reed was the only one who stepped up and made this happen," Jenkins said. "I want to play the OVC schools. We're all in the same boat - we need to play each other and eliminate any question of whether the MEAC can play. I assure you we can. We have coaches in this conference who can put a good product out on the field."

Cocky
September 19th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Has he reached out to JSU? We are having the same problem with SOCON schools. If schedules allowed I would be surprised if we couldnt work something out maybe a few Daytona tickets could seal the deal.

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
TECH has a home & home with MEAC member Hampton (TTU def Hampton earlier this year)...From what I've heard, TTU is not exactly avoiding people - just making sure scheduling opponents in fair for them (i.e., preferring home & home deals).

Humble Steward
September 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Supe,

I'm not sure if the OVC schools are ducking B-CU, but Jenkins has reached out to no prevail. It would be nice to have a home and home series against more schools from the OVC. I think the TSU game was a good fit for both teams and will be a good match up for B-CU. TSU is 3-0 and Coach Rod Reed has his team focused on winning the OVC. There have been many times where we know our schedule was soft, but those days are over and we are scheduling and looking to schedule more OOC games to bring exposure to our program and the MEAC. I got give AD Lynn Thompson and Coach Brian Jenkins credit for making these things happen. Let's Go Wildcats!!!

superman7515
September 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Supe,

I'm not sure if the OVC schools are ducking B-CU, but Jenkins has reached out to no prevail.

That's why I put it as a question, to get some discussion going. If they keep trying to get home & home contests, and the MEAC is so soft, why is no one interested in a weekend in Florida? Especially since many on here think the MEAC is an easy win and Florida is a great recruiting area. Sounds like a win/win, but he keeps hearing no.

Humble Steward
September 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
That's why I put it as a question, to get some discussion going. If they keep trying to get home & home contests, and the MEAC is so soft, why is no one interested in a weekend in Florida? Especially since many on here think the MEAC is an easy win and Florida is a great recruiting area. Sounds like a win/win, but he keeps hearing no.

I can't argue with you on that. Seems like it would be a win/win situation.

Jazzman1522
September 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Maybe it's just that. The OVC has earned the perception of being a weak conference. With only three OOC games a year (With the exception of TSU), one of which is usually taken by an FBS team, it seems like it would be wise to schedule teams from a stronger conference to try and shake off said perception.

WileECoyote06
September 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Maybe it's just that. The OVC has earned the perception of being a weak conference. With only three OOC games a year (With the exception of TSU), one of which is usually taken by an FBS team, it seems like it would be wise to schedule teams from a stronger conference to try and shake off said perception. But you're usually not going to get a fair shake from those schools either. Quite honestly, it makes sense for the OVC-MEAC-Big South to have a scheduling agreement; as the lower tiered schools in the 'power' conferences aren't going to risk losing to you; and the higher-tiered teams in the power conferences are probably not going to return home games.

Jazzman1522
September 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM
But you're usually not going to get a fair shake from those schools either. Quite honestly, it makes sense for the OVC-MEAC-Big South to have a scheduling agreement; as the lower tiered schools in the 'power' conferences aren't going to risk losing to you; and the higher-tiered teams in the power conferences are probably not going to return home games.

That makes sense. To be honest, I know very little about the mechanics of scheduling these things. I do know that EKU played both Missouri State and Chattanooga last year . Both of those games were home games after playing both teams on the road the year before. I'm certainly not opposed to games against MEAC teams personally. I'm just speculating. There have been years where we only played one FCS out of conference, and I'm not a fan of that. I don't think it helps our already slim chances at an at-large birth into the playoffs. So more OOC games against FCS teams is a plus in my book.

dgtw
September 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Going to Daytona Beach, Florida is a bit of a haul for most OVC schools. It is 503 miles from Jacksonville.

msupigskin
September 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Going to Daytona Beach, Florida is a bit of a haul for most OVC schools. It is 503 miles from Jacksonville.

Exactly. It does not make financial sense due to travel expenses. Daytona Beach is too far to travel without a guaranteed payday, which won't happen. And flying is out of the question financially. Jacksonville St. is probably the CLOSEST school to BCU at 500 miles away. Not a snub, just an easy practical decision.

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Back to TTU scheduling a home/home with Hampton...600 miles separate the two. That matchup, to me, has come from left field - don't have a clue how that got set up. I was very happy when the game was announced - had (and have) a lot of respect for HU and the challenge it would be for TTU - a lot better than only playing 10 games like last year or another NAIA school.

Gringer1
September 19th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Given the success of the MEAC in the playoffs, I can see why people are afraid to play them. Oh, wait...

R.A.
September 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Given the success of the MEAC in the playoffs, I can see why people are afraid to play them. Oh, wait...

xlolx

It hurts, but it's still a funny response.

Cocky
September 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Maybe the same reason, UTC and Samford wont play us? And we havent set any record for playoff wins or our conference.

Humble Steward
September 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM

I guess that's the question, based on our success in the playoffs and that B-CU would be a possible win for an OVC team, why shy away from the game. By no means am I saying that B-CU will lose, but if that is the common thought, then this should be an easy decision for these teams.