PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh @ Liberty

jcmanson
September 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
There haven't been any Lehigh fans that have stopped by Flamefans.com, so I figured I'd come to you. What are your thoughts on the game this weekend? What are your team's strengths? Weaknesses? How do you describe the Princeton game being so close? How is Colvin adjusting to being the starter?

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
We've been tied up arguing about attendance, and other crucial issues. I will be by as last yr. Just wish I could make game. I give you a definite edge this yr.

LUHawker
September 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Stopped by, but don't want to register for another site.

That all said, I think this will be a close game. However, Lehigh has shown an ability to win; Liberty has not.

Liberty has played better competition, but I think as the season progresses, we will learn that Monmouth is pretty good team and Princeton better than their 1-9 record from last year, so Lehigh's wins against those two will look better later on.

Lehigh's defense is very stout, the offense is still developing. Colvin remains a question mark. An inconsistent offense. We're now headed into game 4, so if there isn't some marked offensive improvement, it will still be a good, but not excellent season.

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well I tried. Neither the site nor I recall my pass word. Site gave me new but still wont let me log on. From the posts your fans seem to be counting a sure win. Boy are you in for a surprise. Lehigh D good. O inconsistent so far mostly due to OL shifting. Colvin not Lum but he is solid and if O can manage to show up in 3rd period it will be a close win for LU.

jcmanson
September 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Lehigh's defense is very stout, the offense is still developing.

Replace Lehigh with Liberty and you have just defined ourselves. Should be an interesting matchup.

jcmanson
September 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM
From the posts your fans seem to be counting a sure win. Boy are you in for a surprise.

Look at the Prediction thread. 13 for Liberty to win and 5 for Lehigh to win. Most of those 13 are by less than 1 score. We expect a very close entertaining game, and of course we favor our own team in a game like that.

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Just read preview thread. Big advantage for you is tougher schedule. Your game speed will be better to start. We will catch up. Key is 3rd period. O has not yet played in 3rd, if that continues Liberty will prevail absent your own screwups, which I hope are plentiful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I expect a low scoring game. I was really impressed with the Flames defense against Montana. Their DL is not big but they swarm to the ball well and have good depth. Their DB's are big.#19 looks like a LB playing CB. On the flip side their OL is not very good. Lehigh's front 7 should be able to control the line of scrimmage. The QB looked solid throwing shorts passes when given time. Montana's secondary is very young. Lehigh definitely has a better secondary than Montana. #9 Pat Kelly is his favorite target. That kid is really good. The Flames still don't have much of a running game That's likely the product of a poor OL. Their special teams are very good imo. Their kicker has range to 50 and Kevin Fogg is a top return guy.

The one thing that I think helps Lehigh is their balance on offense. They simply have more weapons imo assuming they decide to show up for 60 minutes. I bet Haggins plays.

Fear the Bird
September 18th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Wait are we all talking about the team that lost to Norfolk St being favored against the all mighty Lehigh?

bjtheflamesfan
September 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Only 3 people who picked Liberty picked a double digit spread. This is definitely going to be an entertaining game to watch as my fellow Flames fan noted

Fear the Bird
September 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Which, no offense to Liberty, leads me to believe that Lehigh is greatly overrated even as 15/16 in the country. Liberty lost at home to a team that just lost to Howard!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Which, no offense to Liberty, leads me to believe that Lehigh is greatly overrated even as 15/16 in the country. Liberty lost at home to a team that just lost to Howard!

Liberty has talent. Even the Montana fans were impressed. The Flames biggest downfall is their coaching imo. Turner Gill will sink that ship.

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Nerve wracking and entertaining probably the same in this context.

Go Apps
September 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I will take Liberty in this one

Fear the Bird
September 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Wow is that where Turner Gill ended up? How many jobs has he had in the last 5 years? Buffalo, Kansas, Liberty?

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Gill did a great job at Buffalo, not so much at Kansas. Both squads still uner construction. Liberty with schollies should have more good players. We won last yr necause we had very good D and a great qb. This yr our superlatives are a bit less but we have more talent overall. Is that enuf? We'll see.

jcmanson
September 18th, 2012, 02:53 PM

You can't always play that game. Yes the NSU game was bad for LU to lose. LU should have won. If we played NSU 10 times, I believe LU would win 7-8 times. If NSU played Howard 10 times, I think NSU would win 7-8 times. Liberty is the best 0-3 team in the country!

Also, someone was mentioning Liberty having a big advantage on Special Teams. Liberty has given up a punt return for TD each of the last 2 games. Both of which were game changers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
You can't always play that game. Yes the NSU game was bad for LU to lose. LU should have won. If we played NSU 10 times, I believe LU would win 7-8 times. If NSU played Howard 10 times, I think NSU would win 7-8 times. Liberty is the best 0-3 team in the country!

Also, someone was mentioning Liberty having a big advantage on Special Teams. Liberty has given up a punt return for TD each of the last 2 games. Both of which were game changers.

Nguyen had a great TD return against Liberty. Even so, Fogg is an excellent return guy and your kicker has a tremendous leg.

jcmanson
September 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with you. Our kicker just needs to work on his accuracy. I think he's 2/5 for the season, all of which would have been good from 60 if he was accurate.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
There haven't been any Lehigh fans that have stopped by Flamefans.com, so I figured I'd come to you. What are your thoughts on the game this weekend? What are your team's strengths? Weaknesses? How do you describe the Princeton game being so close? How is Colvin adjusting to being the starter?

That's because only four people are showing up for the game... they were moaning that their attendance this past weekend wasn't "counted" correctly.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4654/lehighbusshoplettercrop.png

Engineer86
September 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Wait are we all talking about the team that lost to Norfolk St being favored against the all mighty Lehigh?

We can't all schedule West Chester or refuse to play away OOC gamesxsmiley_wix

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
We can't all schedule West Chester or refuse to play away OOC gamesxsmiley_wix

No, but Columbia, Princeton are the next best thing.

RichH2
September 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Haggins stillout and OL shook up again. Hopefully this combo will work better. Not an encouraging sign.

ngineer
September 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yes, sorry to see Haggins not listed on the two deep. His absence has been a significant reason for the O's inconsistency. With Haggins healthy you have a TE who can block, has good hands and is a deep threat. The backups are not as good blocking (yet), have good hands, but aren't deep threats. Not having to worry too much about the TE allows more focus on the WRs. Run game needs to open up wlth some OL help. Defense is very good. I'm seeing a relatively low scoring game, 24-17, LU (Nawthin' LU that is!)

van
September 19th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Haggins stillout and OL shook up again. Hopefully this combo will work better. Not an encouraging sign.

Not just Haggins, but Max Anderson must also be dinged since he is not on 2 deep. He looked very good when he got in last year and I would have expected him to be #2 TE.

RichH2
September 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM
According to tweets Anderson wearing a boot. Coyle and Colgate both solid but inexperienced. Cant help but think it hurts blocking.

IaaScribe
September 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
For those who didn't know, Liberty's O-line looked bad last week because it was playing without All-American LG Malcolm Boyd, who is out for the year with a broken leg. His absence completely changed the dynamic of the group. They're very thin there now, only playing six O-linemen in the rotation. Montana just overwhelmed them up front.

RichH2
September 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Haggins cleared to play. Will practice and go to Liberty.

citdog
September 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080318213759/lotr/images/0/0b/Frodo.sting.jpg

RichH2
September 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
citdog LMAO we could use Bilbo and his sword Sat.

van
September 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Big surprise, did not even see him standing on the sidelines last week.

RichH2
September 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM
LoRe tweeted it about an hr ago. Even if he is ltd to blocking it will be a tremendous boost.

van
September 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
LoRe tweeted it about an hr ago. Even if he is ltd to blocking it will be a tremendous boost.

Gotta get on his tweet.

ngineer
September 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
According to tweets Anderson wearing a boot. Coyle and Colgate both solid but inexperienced. Cant help but think it hurts blocking.
True, Andy implied that today at the luncheon. Haggins' absence has had an effect on the line. Experienced and talented cannot be replicated. Also note that Pelligrini is not over at LG. With injuries, it's like musical chairs on the OL. Hopefully they can get some consistency.
Team practiced indoors yesterday at Rauch with the band playing due to the monsoon storm. Good practice with the noise expected at Williams. Team is psyched to play in such an adversarial environment.

ngineer
September 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Big surprise, did not even see him standing on the sidelines last week.

Yes, he was on sidelines in street clothes and jersey. Ankle is still an issue, but he will try and give it a go. Doubtful he'll be 100%, but presence is important. He's also the backup longsnapper.

RichH2
September 19th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Saw Laub LS ,Lechner broke a finger.

RichH2
September 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Injury lists out. Liberty a number of questionable for us. We seem in slightly better shape. Not overly optimistic given their schedule compared to our performance so far with 2 weak and 1 decent teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
My game preview. Breakdown and fearless prediction tomorrow, or perhaps tonight if I can swing it.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/game-preview-lehigh-at-liberty-9222012.html

R.A.
September 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM

My Howard Bison will win quite a few games this season. If we are 4-1 after October 6th, I expect us to be ranked in the Top 25.

Engineer86
September 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM
No, but Columbia, Princeton are the next best thing.

Yea Robert Morris and who, oh Princeton up next for you? Wow you are right throw those stones.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Lehigh @ Liberty Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/game-4-breakdown-lehigh-at-liberty.html

Should be a very, very close game down in Lynchburg, I think.

LUHawker
September 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Just got my tix for me and my 7 year old.

Excited for the atmosphere at Williams.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Lehigh @ Liberty Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/game-4-breakdown-lehigh-at-liberty.html

Should be a very, very close game down in Lynchburg, I think.

Another Homer pick? Where are your PL picks this week eh?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Another Homer pick? Where are your PL picks this week eh?

I'll get 'em out there eventually. Believe me I flirted with taking the Flames.

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM
That's a fair perspective coming from someone who hasn't seen us in person. I too believe it will be a close game but I like our chances. I can't wait to watch it all go down on Saturday.

van
September 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Based on having seen both home games at Goodman and watched video of CCSU game, the Lehigh team can be much better that they have showed to date. Can be does not equal will be, but if they play to their potential they will win, if they continue with sloppy and erratic, then could certainly be flying home 3-1.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Based on having seen both home games at Goodman and watched video of CCSU game, the Lehigh team can be much better that they have showed to date. Can be does not equal will be, but if they play to their potential they will win, if they continue with sloppy and erratic, then could certainly be flying home 3-1.

Lehigh has to essentially play both halves and not commit bad penalties... football 101 tomorrow.

knucklehead
September 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Funny, same formula lands Liberty the Win! Hope a lot of Lehigh fans come. Should be fun!

ngineer
September 21st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Usually the story. The team that makes the least mistakes and plays all four quarters will win. So far Lehigh has not done either and it's time they do.

ngineer
September 21st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Leaving for Liberty Saturday a.m. on the plane with the team. Wheels up at 10 a.m. See y'all in Williams Stadium! L-E-H-I-G-H, LEHIGH!

RichH2
September 21st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Give'em hell ngineer. GoLEHIGH!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Leaving for Liberty Saturday a.m. on the plane with the team. Wheels up at 10 a.m. See y'all in Williams Stadium! L-E-H-I-G-H, LEHIGH!

See you on the plane!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Video preview....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL26BC4ABAAE48D18C&v=MsZeg7_wJbg&feature=player_detailpage

Sly Fox
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Expect a packed house today with gorgeous weather and thousands of screaming high schoolers on campus. Wish I could be on campus this Saturday. Alas I'll be tuned into the broadcast like many Mountain Hawk fans.

Footballhero
September 22nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
This game is being televised locally on WFMZ Allentown channel 69, is that correct?

Mike

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
That's what the email from LU said

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
This game is being televised locally on WFMZ Allentown channel 69, is that correct?

My Titan TV guide shows that it's on Ch 69. I didn't realize that this game is tonight at 7:00 PM. For some reason I thought it was this afternoon at 2:00 PM. I guess that means I'll be forced to watch it. xcoolx

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Now have seen LU, GU, BU and LC. At this point , any of them can beat or lose to any of the other. Each has gaping deficits and a bunch of talented players. Clear as of today no dominant PL team.
Qb should be diferential, but none I've seen has separated himself from the rest.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Lehigh 7 Liberty 0

Lehigh intercepts the Flames QB on 4th then marches right down the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Spadola with a big play! Just made a fool out of Fogg...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Lehigh 14 Liberty 0 12:53 2Q

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Can they play 4Qs tonight, that will be a key. Right now, the run defense scares me and I can imagine Liberty may wear us down.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
No channel 69 coverage

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Great pASS TO RYAN TO SET UP TD. I PRAY FOR 4 Qs

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
How does Lehigh not get that ball

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
That might be the worst offensive PI call i've ever seen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Why not sneak it or run Barket?

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Terrible calls on 3rd and 4th down and Liberty ball on there 45

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
TD Liberty!

Lehigh 14 Liberty 7 about 4:30 left 2Q

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Lehi needs a score on this drive or those terrible calls on the last drive will be haunting. Up 14-0 you don't screw around!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Defense needs to get a stop here. Hawks get the ball to start the 2nd half.

van
September 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Terrible calls on 3rd and 4th down and Liberty ball on there 45

I liked the 3rd down call, try to catch them off guard. Going for it on 4th down was dumb at that field position, gave them all the momentum.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Wow, this game has completely changed since the 4th down play.

TD Liberty...

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Up 14, offensive genius screws around and we are back to square on. Third and inches just get the first down!

van
September 22nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
And now we're tied ...

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
And now he runs a draw so it will be half a game ... The half we have only shown up in once in three games!!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Engineers D softening up late in the half. What gives?

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
3rd and inches , ballsy call but still should habe sneaked. Momentum completely shifted. Refs are not calling PI. Liberty dbs getting aeay with lots of holding. Still we need to come out in 3rd. D is whipped.

Franks Tanks
September 22nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
The Channel 69 crew is doing the game, but the game isn't on Channel 69. Weird.

I am watching on the FCS network-whatever that is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Lehigh's first series of the second half lasted 1:20. Not good....

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I don't know how the liberty QB does it. He hits all of his receivers in stride. It seems so hard

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Lehigh's defense isn't going make it through the half....on the field way too much

big stop...the offense needs to do something....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Offense has completely gone in the tank since the 4th down stop. Colvin throws off his back foot way too much. He seems to drop back 10-15 yards every pass attempt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Liberty driving. Hawk defense is running out of gas. The flood gates could open if the Flames get the lead.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
If Lehigh is not going to run Colvin, then put a QB in the game!

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
If this is a loss, it hangs on the offensive coaching staff

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Lehigh forces a FG...Unless the offense can put together a drive I think Liberty will get the knockout blow on their next possession.

What's the TOP? 3 to 1 in favor of Liberty?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM
Lehigh goes 3 and out. I can't see the defense stopping Liberty anymore unless they force a turnover.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM
Say good night, another punt. Have i said Get a new QB

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
That 3rd down conversion might break the back...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Liberty FG

Liberty 20 Lehigh 14 9:06 4Q

This is like watching Lehigh from '07 to '09. The defense is playing their hearts but the offense can't do a thing....

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Lehigh in the tank again another 3rd q when they dont show up. Whats wrong with Dave. D looks whipped.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Lehigh O in the tank again another 3rd q when they dont show up. Whats wrong with Dave. D looks whipped.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Liberty keeps trying to keep Lehigh in the game

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
espn3.com feed has died....

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
espn3.com feed has died....

Mine is still up

Southsider
September 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
UN F ing believeable!!~!~

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
He is a great running back TD Lehigh

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
D is playimg their hearts out, O has disappeared since 1st. I dont know the problem. OL cant run block. Whatever it is Dave has not fixed it. Oh well maybe O rested now and will come back and play in 4th.

van
September 22nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
No rest for the D on that drive, LOL.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wow , bog play by Mike. Notice our svores come quick. No rest for D. Well at least O has finally done something.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Pick 6 Lehigh!

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
28-20

Southsider
September 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
TD!!!!!!!!!! Lets hold on!!!!!

van
September 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Guess we are becoming a 4th quarter team?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Wow, can the defense continue to fight for 7 more minutes?

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Liberty is now shooting themselves in the ankle ... Their feet are gone

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
If I'm Coen I might consider using my timeouts to give the D a break if this drive extends much further.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
That play should have been stopped for no gain. Arm tackling....

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Let's go D. Must keep them out of the end zone!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
first and goal from the 5

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
This game reminds me of 2005 at UD

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Wow!! Lehigh just got screwed!!1

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ball was out before he scores, but ruled a TD

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
They stop the 2 pt conversion....

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wow, make up call. No call on PI on 2 pt conv. Onside kick coming

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
need to recover the onside kick!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ugh, Lehigh recovers the onside kick but call a timeout before....ugh!!

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wow recover onside kick but bench called TO before the kick

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Lehigh recovers the second onside kick....They should be able to pretty much take a knee....

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Liberty announcers are making a huge deal out of the PI, but nothing about the fumble the play before that Lehigh recovered

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Lehigh ball

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Al Davis would be so proud of the Engineers!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
First down! Lehigh just has to take a knee!! What win, this team certainly has tremendous heart and a great will to win.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
My heart having trouble . Thank God for Gabe.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Liberty hits the bal before the snap, but quite a scare

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Liberty using Greg Schiano tactics...

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Game over

Southsider
September 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
That's what you call "Stealing One"!! How's that for winning ugly!!

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
What a win. Still problems but Lord these guys are tough. Clutch plays by D. Mike has his issuds but boy he got the job done.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
That's what you call "Stealing One"!! How's that for winning ugly!!

Not sure they really stole it. The defense played great all game and capitalized on the Liberty mistakes. Tonight was a "solid" 40 minute effort imo. The took off the final 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter and the entire 3rd tonight.

Webzy
September 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Turner Gill strikes again xlolx he's going to coach them to a 2-9 season

Webzy
September 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
double

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Turner Gill strikes again xlolx he's going to coach them to a 2-9 season

I'll be surpised if he lasts more than a couple seasons.

Southsider
September 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure they really stole it. The defense played great all game and capitalized on the Liberty mistakes. Tonight was a "solid" 40 minute effort imo. The took off the final 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter and the entire 3rd tonight.

Was referring to the pick 6! But, point well taken. You have to play it out, even when you are getting you *** kicked up and down the field. Gotta admit, Colvin is a gamer.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
This was a "find a way to win" game for sure. Congrats to the Engineers.

Sly Fox
September 22nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
Obviously we are furious with ourselves right now. Congrats to the Lehigh folks on the win.

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5971/lehighfinalteamstats.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/9541/lehighfinalplayerstats.jpg

RichH2
September 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Sly best of luck rest of the yr. Hope the series continues. Flame fans are a good bunch.

Sly Fox
September 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Not going to lie ... we have to sit on this 0-4 record for two weeks until we open conference play. It isn't going to taste any better anytime soon. We are sick of dominating the stat sheets and taking L after L. But that is where is we stand. Thanks for the thoughts. If you made it down for the game, I'd love to hear thoughts on our gameday experience.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t6hiLg2jr6Y

ngineer
September 23rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Not going to lie ... we have to sit on this 0-4 record for two weeks until we open conference play. It isn't going to taste any better anytime soon. We are sick of dominating the stat sheets and taking L after L. But that is where is we stand. Thanks for the thoughts. If you made it down for the game, I'd love to hear thoughts on our gameday experience.

Just got in from the airport (2:05 a.m.) and too wound up to sleep. Williams Stadium and its fans are by far the most vociferous we have experienced. Over 17.000 and a sea of red. Noise nonstop; but while a 'hostile' place for an opponent it was enjoyable. Met a lot of nice people and the hospitality by the school for our tailgate was great. We had a "loud" contingent of about 300+ relegated to the home side endzone, but we know the team heard us.
This game was won on heart and making fewer mistakes. Liberty made way too many penalties and the turnovers always kill. No question the Flames have a lot of talent (about 20 FBS transfers by my count) and at times we clearly were hurt by lack of speed. I have no idea what Cecchini is thinking right now. Little effort seems to be made to try and get the ball to Spadola. He was facing single coverage a number of times tonight and it seems to me at some point you have to trust your AA receiver to go and get the ball. Few slant calls and too many 'bubble/flat" attempts that were continually stopped. Defense played tremendous, coming up with big turnovers and stops throughout, but they were certainly exhausted (on the field 42 min.). It's all about scoring and Divers and Peery did a great job of making Liberty go the long way. When teams have to go 80+ yards, they score less than 20% of the time. So you end up with alot of yardage and first downs but not enough points.
Liberty has had a real rough start to their season, but the silver lining is they can win their league. No doubt in my mind with their talent. The only disappointment was at the end of the game at least 1/3 the Liberty team ran off the field without shaking hands. Very unclassy and something that surprised me very much. Best of luck to the Flames. The season is still salvageable.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hard to sum up the game in a few words. I did post a recap on the blog I will undoubtedly clean up a bit tomorrow morning.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/lehigh-28-liberty-26-final.html

Two things stand out to me. One: I wonder how Liberty will be once they get a win under their belt. They do seem to have improved since the Norfolk State game somewhat, and soon they will have some Big South opponent they will simply blow out of the water, like Chuck South or Presby. With a bit more confidence and time, could they run the league? I could see it. They need to sweep the league, beat Stony Brook at home, and go on the road and beat CCU in late October. This team could still fo it. But in this game, at this time, once Lehigh went up 21-20 the team and the crowd deflated like a balloon, and it's as if they knew they were going to lose.

The other thing that stood out is I felt Turner Gill didn't attack Lehigh at the end with enough urgency or emotion. A quick strike with 5 minutes left would have given them plenty of time to go for the TD, and even had they missed the 2-point conversion they had 3 timeouts and a chance to get the ball back. Instead, Lehigh was happy to bend but not break and let the clock fritter away. Even if Liberty had tied, Lehigh would have still had the ball with a minute and could have driven for the final score. I thought Gill's late-game management was really bad.

HandoEX
September 23rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
^ That is because Turner Gill is still a bad football coach. Seeing his debut at Kansas from the first row behind his bench proved that to me.

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Congrats to our neighbors, the Hawks, on a big win. Hey L & L is 2-0 in Lynchburg, huh??

Southsider
September 23rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Actually, they are 3-0. Lehigh won there in 2004. I wonder how the game would have played out had Lehigh converted the 4th & 2 feet midway through the 2nd qtr?? Had they scored they would have been up 3 scores. I hate those East/West runs. When you need a few feet, go straight ahead!!

RichH2
September 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hard to figure Dave out this yr. Part of O issue may simply be different skill levels this yr. Why Spadola mot tatgeted more puzzling. Is it Mike going off 1st read? Not trusting Ryan to get ball? Liberty DBs were a very hands on group, altho not called, why not trust Ryan to beat single coverage. Admittedly db on him very good, but so is Ryan.
Dave has to figure out this offensive malaise. Otherwise D will be in the ER and I'll be in cardiac.care.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Actually, they are 3-0. Lehigh won there in 2004. I wonder how the game would have played out had Lehigh converted the 4th & 2 feet midway through the 2nd qtr?? Had they scored they would have been up 3 scores. I hate those East/West runs. When you need a few feet, go straight ahead!!

BINGO. We did the same thing last week against Princeton. Plus on the 4th and less than a yard in the third, we went off tackle but Sherman didn't follow his blocking. Very frustrating at that poitn.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Is Dave getting too cute at times. Sherman did fail to follow blockers, but still why not run your 230 lb Qb? At some point must pick an OL and stick with it. It would be nice to have Lippincott at full strength but we dont. Lack of consistent run blocking putting too much on Mike. He pulled it out this time but we need run attack.

Sly Fox
September 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'd still love to hear your reactions to our gameday experience, LFN.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
See my post at #141, supra. For my taste, most schools need to tone down the thumping sound systems. Too much "canned" excitement. I'd rather hear the chants and the bands. Of course, I'm more of a 'traditionalist' and "old school". Very nice venue, however. I rank it up there with Princeton's in terms of site view from the seats, convenience of the rest rooms and concessions.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'd still love to hear your reactions to our gameday experience, LFN.

It's going to be part of my "Sunday Word", which will probably be cleaned up and done sometime tomorrow. But here's a preview - it was a really interesting and fun experience.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Going to Liberty and watching the spectacle that was a Flames game reminded me of the... rodeo.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/sundays-word-rodeo.html

RichH2
September 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Great article. Hope we continue the series..

Sly Fox
September 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the terrific write-up. I'd encourage all those out out there who wonder why Liberty is talking FBS and why we believe that we have something special brewing in the heart of Virginia to check out LFN's story.

Giddyup!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM
This is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nae8Y4PhPo&feature=player_embedded

RichH2
September 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Its one of those clips you just dont get tired of watching.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Not as good as the '09 Lafayette pre-game but still cool as heck.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM

And it's one of those clips that I'll never watch.

RichH2
September 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Well, maybe your Pards will come up with a similar video. Would love to see a video of their dressing room after another loss to us.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
"You really have to hand it to the folks at Liberty: they have managed to create a great gameday experience for their kids. Nothing feels small-time about the effort put into these facilities, the scoreboard, the press box."

As opposed, say, to the game in Washington on Oct. 13. Keith Groller can only wince at the press facilities awaiting him there...

ngineer
September 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Going to Liberty and watching the spectacle that was a Flames game reminded me of the... rodeo.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/sundays-word-rodeo.html

Good write up. Being there myself, you caught the atmosphere. Intense and everyone driven in one direction. Almost a little freakiy with everyone dressing the same and doing the same practiced motions in response to the cues from the PA announcer. While Lehigh has faced similar and larger crowds in the past, i.e. Delaware and NDSU, this seemed the most hostile as an opponent. Of course the big crowds with UD and Lafayette have substantial Lehigh fans as opposed to at Liberty where I am still hoarse from participating with my 300 odd Brown & White compatriots against the 17,000+ sea of red....But to borrow a biblical metaphor...we parted it!!