PDA

View Full Version : Furman, Appalachian State Share SoCon Coaches Preseason No. 1

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 07:59 AM
http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072506aac.html

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman and Appalachian State share the preseason No. 1 pick in a poll of Southern Conference head coaches, the league announced today at its annual media day at the Greenville Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Furman and Appalachian State both claimed four first place votes and registered 46 points each in balloting by conference head coaches.

Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kinda Sorta:eyebrow:

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM
1) Furman (4) -- 46

Appalachian State (4) -- 46

3) Georgia Southern -- 35

4) Chattanooga -- 26

5) Wofford -- 23

6) Western Carolina -- 22

7) The Citadel -- 19

8) Elon -- 7

I am very surprised the WCU is not fourth.
I still think FU is very young.

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I wasn't expecting a unanimous #1, but a tie is somewhat surprising. Also, I think Western should be 2 spots higher and GSU is not a clear #3 IMO

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Looks like a lot will be riding on October 28th.

Turner South will also be broadcasting the game it was just announced.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I wasn't expecting a unanimous #1, but a tie is somewhat surprising. Also, I think Western should be 2 spots higher and GSU is not a clear #3 IMO
I agree.
WCU will give us all we can handle in CutaWeed.

bluehenbillk
July 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Other than Wofford being a blip on the radar in '03 does anyone different ever make the top 3 in the SoCon?

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Other than Wofford being a blip on the radar in '03 does anyone different ever make the top 3 in the SoCon?
Well yeah.
In the 90's ETSU, WCU, Marshall, Chatt.

Of course, if Delaware was in the SoCon, they might not crack the top 3 too often either.
The Big 3's an exclusive club. It's reserved for national Championship contenders.;)

FUwolfpacker
July 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Just got done listening/watching the SoCon rouser and Coach Lamb said that he knew Coach Moore voted for Furman, but that there were 3 other coaches in the SoCon that needed to be drug tested b/c ASU returned too much not to make them the clear-cut #1 in the SoCon.

The interviewers also commented on the round of golf that everyone played yesterday, and the fact that Lamb beat Moore in the round of golf to which Lamb replied, "yeah, at least I beat him in something." : smh : :bang:

Should be a fun year in the SoCon!

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Just got done listening/watching the SoCon rouser and Coach Lamb said that he knew Coach Moore voted for Furman, but that there were 3 other coaches in the SoCon that needed to be drug tested b/c ASU returned too much not to make them the clear-cut #1 in the SoCon.

The interviewers also commented on the round of golf that everyone played yesterday, and the fact that Lamb beat Moore in the round of golf to which Lamb replied, "yeah, at least I beat him in something." : smh : :bang:

Did I hear wrong, or did Matt Isenhour shoot a 60:eek:

ErkPeterson
July 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM
None of this means JAAAAAACKKK !!!!!!

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I think it was more due to some bottom feeders voting for their own team so as to sell a few tickets. I mean Geez, who would give a couple of them first place votes?

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I think it was more due to some bottom feeders voting for their own team so as to sell a few tickets. I mean Geez, who would give a couple of them first place votes?

I think the other three voted for the Furmies:nod:

atlGAmocs
July 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to see Chattanooga in the 4 hole. I would have thought WCU. It's going to be a tough with just 4 home games, thanks for nothing Steve Sloan.

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to see Chattanooga in the 4 hole. I would have thought WCU. It's going to be a tough with just 4 home games, thanks for nothing Steve Sloan.

I agree that is the main reason that I did not pick Chatt at 4. I think you have three conference home games and 2 of them are GSU and ASU:eek:

atlGAmocs
July 25th, 2006, 01:53 PM
although you could argue that the Mocs have played 10-11 road games a year with the pathetic fan support we have. When GSU is at Finley their fans outnumber the home crowd. I went to the App St. game in Boone last year and was very impressed with the way the community is involved in their football team. Something i never experienced during my time in Chattanooga. Maybe the new AD from Oklahoma can make some real differences.

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM
although you could argue that the Mocs have played 10-11 road games a year with the pathetic fan support we have. When GSU is at Finley their fans outnumber the home crowd. I went to the App St. game in Boone last year and was very impressed with the way the community is involved in their football team. Something i never experienced during my time in Chattanooga. Maybe the new AD from Oklahoma can make some real differences.

It's a little different in Boone, ASU is Boone, without it, its a hole in the wall

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
It's a little different in Boone, ASU is Boone, without it, its a hole in the wall
I dunno. ASU has done a lot for Boone even tho it has overtaken it completely. But without ASU, Boone would be a Blowing Rock. Which wouldn't be bad.

walliver
July 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, these polls have assured that neither ASU or Furman will win the conference:)

On the good side, the last time Wofford was picked this low we beat GSU in Statesboro and ASU in Boone (and still were able to spend Thanksgiving at home:( ):bawling:

chattanoogamocs
July 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM

LOL...Atl, I was going to post the exact same thing...right down to the word pleasantly. :)

Though I wouldn't blame it all on Sloan...he was stuck with a budget deficit, had to add Memphis to the schedule (which should/would have been a home game versus WKU last year)...then he had to add Memphis again this year...which completely unbalanced the schedule for the year...good news is, 6 home games next year.

Hey look at what the last team in the SoCon did with a 4 game home schedule...they turned it into 7 games and a national championship! :thumbsup:

IT IS AN OMEN! xlolx

chattanoogamocs
July 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
BTW...great pic! :thumbsup:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=1128&dateline=1153853656

catamount man
July 25th, 2006, 06:28 PM
The media poll has us at 4th in front of UTC and Wofford. I'm shocked we're 6th in the coaches poll, but that's why you play the game. Polls don't mean ****!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GaSouthern
July 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Well I can tell you that I am alot more worried about playing in colllowwweeeehheeeee than anywhere else (minus furman of course)

WCU LawCat
July 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I am not going to sit here and cry because WCU was 6th in the coaches poll. Wofford fell a little last season because they did not have an offensive star. UTC might be finally starting to come around with a better "all around" team and Antonio Miller was the 2nd best QB in Charlotte when he was in HS just behind Chris Leak.

One thing I can tell you is that WCU now has a BIG TIME reason to be FIRED UP! I am ready for 2006.

ChiefGSU275
July 26th, 2006, 04:57 AM
The Big 3's an exclusive club. It's reserved for national Championship contenders.;)

NOTE: This is a recent change. Prior to last year, the exclusive club was called the Big 2 (GSU & FU). :smiley_wi

OL FU
July 26th, 2006, 06:32 AM
The media poll has us at 4th in front of UTC and Wofford. I'm shocked we're 6th in the coaches poll, but that's why you play the game. Polls don't mean ****!

Media poll

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

1. Appalachian State (22)...... 189

2. Furman (1)....................... 162

3. Georgia Southern (1)......... 125

4. Western Carolina ............. 122

5. Chattanooga ...................... 98

6. Wofford.............................. 85

7. The Citadel......................... 54

8. Elon ................................. 29

Taking into consideration catamount man's comment about what polls mean:D , I do think this is a more accurate prediction:nod:

AppGuy04
July 26th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I would tend to agree with the media poll, though I think 3 and 4 should be switched, but still very close

GSUhooligan
July 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I would tend to agree with the media poll, though I think 3 and 4 should be switched, but still very close

I think you are wrong. In fact, I think 1 and 3 should be switched, and I can't wait til we prove everyone on this board wrong this fall. GSU will at least share the conference title, and will make the playoffs. Write it down.

AppGuy04
July 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I think you are wrong. In fact, I think 1 and 3 should be switched, and I can't wait til we prove everyone on this board wrong this fall. GSU will at least share the conference title, and will make the playoffs. Write it down.

and you might, but don't tell you can't understand where all the questions are coming from

OL FU
July 26th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Don't worry you will remind us or we will remind you:smiley_wi

PaladinFan
July 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM

That sounds pretty confident for a team with as many questions as the Eagles have.

gsuwinsudont
July 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
That sounds pretty confident for a team with as many questions as the Eagles have.

Nothing wrong with being confident thats what makes football so fun. But we really do not have as many questions as you think. The talent is here without a doubt. Whether it comes together this year is THE question.

Third place is where i'd have us right now PREseason but i wont be surprised if we finish higher then that. Neither would anyone else in the SoCon for that matter.

youwouldno
July 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
GSU probably has the most question marks in the conference, aside from Elon. GSU is making a big-time change in offense and is very limited in terms of defensive personnel. They do have good overall talent, so 3rd-4th is reasonable, but any projection above that is pure homerism.

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I voted Western Carolina a solid third behind App State and Furman. I think the Catamounts will be in the hunt for a playoff bid, though they do close the year with two tough games, at home against ASU and on the road at Florida. They also open with two tough games in their second and third contests, at home against Eastern Kentucky and on the road with Furman. If WCU can start the year 2-1, I think they can be 8-1 going into those final two games. Even with losses to ASU and Florida, I think 8-3 with that schedule and they should be in. The only weak game on the schedule is Chowan to start the year.

catamount man
July 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I voted Western Carolina a solid third behind App State and Furman. I think the Catamounts will be in the hunt for a playoff bid, though they do close the year with two tough games, at home against ASU and on the road at Florida. They also open with two tough games in their second and third contests, at home against Eastern Kentucky and on the road with Furman. If WCU can start the year 2-1, I think they can be 8-1 going into those final two games. Even with losses to ASU and Florida, I think 8-3 with that schedule and they should be in. The only weak game on the schedule is Chowan to start the year.

How we finish at the end of September, will determine a lot about us in 2006. At least a 3-1 record, and we should be fine, even 2-2, but I'd prefer 3-1.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GreatAppSt
July 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Coaches poll = Wrong answer in 06 :nono: :nono: :nono:

SoCon48
July 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM

How does the voting work? Does everyone submit a whole listing for all teams 1st to 8th, etc, or does everyone just pick #1 and the total votes added up to set the order?

gsuwinsudont
July 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM
GSU probably has the most question marks in the conference, aside from Elon. GSU is making a big-time change in offense and is very limited in terms of defensive personnel. They do have good overall talent, so 3rd-4th is reasonable, but any projection above that is pure homerism.

Very limited? Fine call me a homer but the transfers on the D side of the ball(Kearney, jackson, grace, and Daniel) we have received will make a difference. We had talent on defense last year as well. Cant use that talent if you are not put in the right positions. But thats another argument for another day. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well yeah.
In the 90's ETSU, WCU, Marshall, Chatt.

Of course, if Delaware was in the SoCon, they might not crack the top 3 too often either.

WOW...AN' TA THINK...WE GOT OUR "BLING" IN '03......AN' IT TOOK DUH MOUSEKETEERS.........TIL '05..........xazzx .......BRAWK!

walliver
July 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
How does the voting work? Does everyone submit a whole listing for all teams 1st to 8th, etc, or does everyone just pick #1 and the total votes added up to set the order?

The way I understand it, each coaches rates the other 7 schools from 1 to 7,

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Then how could Furman and ASU tie with 4 first place votes each?

GSUhooligan
July 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Then how could Furman and ASU tie with 4 first place votes each?

There are 8 coaches, four voted App #1, and 4 voted Furman #1. Makes sense to me...

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
There are 8 coaches, four voted App #1, and 4 voted Furman #1. Makes sense to me...

:o

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
...and it explains why Elon only got 7 votes...7 coaches votes them last and Lembo didn't vote for his team. (ouch)

SoCon48
July 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks.

Kiss My Apps
July 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
2006 Preseason team announced:

First Team
Offense
TE Daniel Bettis, Appalachian State*
WR Emanuel Hassell, Chattanooga
WR Justin Stepp, Furman
OT Matt Isenhour, Appalachian State
OT John Kivett, Furman
G Kerry Brown, Appalachian State*
G Scott Shuford, Furman
C Lance Wayne, Georgia Southern
QB Trey Elder, Appalachian State
RB Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State
RB Eldra Buckley, Chattanooga
RS Mike Malone, Western Carolina
PK Scott Beckler, Furman

First Team
Defense
DL Marques Murrell, Appalachian State*
DL Felipe Foster, Western Carolina*
DL Roy Ravenell, Furman
DL Charrod Taylor, Georgia Southern
LB Chad Nkang, Elon*
LB John Mohring, Georgia Southern*
LB Andrew Jones, Furman
DB Jeremy Wiggins, Appalachian State
DB Corey Lynch, Appalachian State
DB Quintez Smith, Chattanooga
DB Brian Ford, Wofford
P Tim Mayse, Western Carolina*
*Denotes Unanimous Selection

Second Team
Offense
TE Brad Bell, Furman
WR Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State
WR Ta’Mar Jernigan, The Citadel (tie)
Michael Mayers, Elon (tie)
Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern (tie)
OT Sam Bentley, Chattanooga
OT Russell Orr, Georgia Southern
G Justin Matherson, Chattanooga
G Marty Bauer, Wofford
C Scott Suttle, Appalachian State
QB Antonio Miller, Chattanooga
RB Jerome Felton, Furman
RB Kevious Johnson, Wofford
RS Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern
PK Esteban Lopez, Chattanooga

Second Team
Defense
DL Omarr Byrom, Appalachian State
DL James Wilson, The Citadel
DL Layton Baker, Wofford
DL Wallace Artis, Furman
DL Charles Profit, Chattanooga
LB Monte Smith, Appalachian State
LB Andrew Rowell, The Citadel
LB Justin Franklin, Wofford
DB Austin Holmes, Furman
DB Andrew Thacker, Furman
DB Mitchell Dukes, Western Carolina
DB Brandon Jackson, Georgia Southern
P Brandon Lane, Elon

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year:
Kevin Richardson, RB, Appalachian State

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year:
Chad Nkang, LB, Elon

I guess they didn't think the "best player in the SoCon" was worthy of 1st team status. xlolx

thirdgendin
July 27th, 2006, 11:05 PM
2006 Preseason team announced:

First Team
Offense
TE Daniel Bettis, Appalachian State*
WR Emanuel Hassell, Chattanooga
WR Justin Stepp, Furman
OT Matt Isenhour, Appalachian State
OT John Kivett, Furman
G Kerry Brown, Appalachian State*
G Scott Shuford, Furman
C Lance Wayne, Georgia Southern
QB Trey Elder, Appalachian State
RB Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State
RB Eldra Buckley, Chattanooga
RS Mike Malone, Western Carolina
PK Scott Beckler, Furman

First Team
Defense
DL Marques Murrell, Appalachian State*
DL Felipe Foster, Western Carolina*
DL Roy Ravenell, Furman
DL Charrod Taylor, Georgia Southern
LB Chad Nkang, Elon*
LB John Mohring, Georgia Southern*
LB Andrew Jones, Furman
DB Jeremy Wiggins, Appalachian State
DB Corey Lynch, Appalachian State
DB Quintez Smith, Chattanooga
DB Brian Ford, Wofford
P Tim Mayse, Western Carolina*
*Denotes Unanimous Selection

Second Team
Offense
TE Brad Bell, Furman
WR Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State
WR Ta’Mar Jernigan, The Citadel (tie)
Michael Mayers, Elon (tie)
Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern (tie)
OT Sam Bentley, Chattanooga
OT Russell Orr, Georgia Southern
G Justin Matherson, Chattanooga
G Marty Bauer, Wofford
C Scott Suttle, Appalachian State
QB Antonio Miller, Chattanooga
RB Jerome Felton, Furman
RB Kevious Johnson, Wofford
RS Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern
PK Esteban Lopez, Chattanooga

Second Team
Defense
DL Omarr Byrom, Appalachian State
DL James Wilson, The Citadel
DL Layton Baker, Wofford
DL Wallace Artis, Furman
DL Charles Profit, Chattanooga
LB Monte Smith, Appalachian State
LB Andrew Rowell, The Citadel
LB Justin Franklin, Wofford
DB Austin Holmes, Furman
DB Andrew Thacker, Furman
DB Mitchell Dukes, Western Carolina
DB Brandon Jackson, Georgia Southern
P Brandon Lane, Elon

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year:
Kevin Richardson, RB, Appalachian State

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year:
Chad Nkang, LB, Elon

I guess they didn't think the "best player in the SoCon" was worthy of 1st team status. xlolx

1st team All America but not 1st team all-SoCon...how do you manage that?! :rotateh:

I'm guessing the fact that many All America teams have a "FB" position while there were just two "RB" slots on the all-SoCon teams played a big part in this outcome.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM
1st team All America but not 1st team all-SoCon...how do you manage that?! :rotateh:

I'm guessing the fact that many All America teams have a "FB" position while there were just two "RB" slots on the all-SoCon teams played a big part in this outcome.

Or the SoCon folks were more familiar with his talents.:eyebrow:

thirdgendin
July 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Or the SoCon folks were more familiar with his talents.:eyebrow:

JCline,

He's the one non-App player in the league that your App buddies are constantly talking about on the MMB. I doubt the SoCon coaches think less of him.