PDA

View Full Version : Will VMI return to the SoCon?

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Heard at the SoCon rouser on Monday that VMI has officially petitioned the SoCon about returning to the league. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2006, 05:34 AM
No, but it certainly raises dire prospects for the survival of the Big South. With Presbyterian going I-AA, CCU a better fit for the Socon, and Liberty talking I-A (Jerry's Folly), it will be interesting to see how things shake out for the Big South teams.

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
No, but it certainly raises dire prospects for the survival of the Big South. With Presbyterian going I-AA, CCU a better fit for the Socon, and Liberty talking I-A (Jerry's Folly), it will be interesting to see how things shake out for the Big South teams.
It never is safe to only have five or six members. I'll believe Liberty going I-A when I see Pigs fly (and no I'm not talking about a Pink Floyd concert).

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Heard at the SoCon rouser on Monday that VMI has officially petitioned the SoCon about returning to the league. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Nope, from a historical perspective I would welcome them back. They never should have left. I just wish they were better at fball.

Are you are the rouser today? Can I get into any of it? I am just across the lobby:smiley_wi

vmisport
July 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Where did you get this info?

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Where did you get this info?
It was a topic of conversation with some of the SoCon writers.

IaaScribe
July 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Dave, I agree with you wholeheartedly on Liberty's I-A prospects. That school is growing like mad, but eh, I-A just seems like such a far-off prospect. Lots of talk. At least some action there now with the improvement in facilities, etc.

I'll be down at the Big South media day Friday, and I assume VMI's AD will be there as well, so I'll try to get something out of him, though I'm sure he'll say "it's just a rumor."

July 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM
... I'll be down at the Big South media day ...Be sure to say hello to I-AA.org senior columnist David Coulson and our pal Matt D. of the sportsnetwork.com who will both be at the Big South media day.

AppGuy04
July 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
If Liberty goes I-A, Savannah St would laugh at them

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Dave, I agree with you wholeheartedly on Liberty's I-A prospects. That school is growing like mad, but eh, I-A just seems like such a far-off prospect. Lots of talk. At least some action there now with the improvement in facilities, etc.

I'll be down at the Big South media day Friday, and I assume VMI's AD will be there as well, so I'll try to get something out of him, though I'm sure he'll say "it's just a rumor."
I guarantee I'll be asking Donnie about it. Actually, he is a very good guy. He is the one who told me about the talks between the Big South and the Great West last year.

On the Liberty front, this school does not have the facilities, the support or the success to be I-A. The Flames have done zero at I-AA. There were one year where they probably were a borderline playoff-caliber team (in 1997), but they lost out because of a weak schedule. Outside of that, they have nothing to show for their time in I-AA, not even a Big South title. The facilities were so bad at one point, people were refusing to come to Williams Stadium to play Liberty. At least they finally did something about their woeful visiting locker rooms with the addition of the new fieldhouse. Liberty needs to start by getting competitive in the Big South and move from there. The Flames going I-A anytime in the next decade would put them at the bottom of the food chain with teams like Arkansas State (which had at least made a I-AA final), Idaho (a one-time rather studly team in the Big Sky) and all of those regional Louisiana schools, who now have a hard time even beating the I-AAs in the state.

Please make it a point to say hello at the media day on Friday. Are you going to be at the golf event on Thursday?

MYTAPPY
July 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Coastal shudders at the thought of VMI returning. I can here them screaming right now..."NO"!!! : smh :

catamount man
July 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'd love to have VMI back in the SoCon. Get them, CCU, Hampton, and in 2009, a returning ETSU and you can have SoCon North and SoCon South with a true conference champion being crowned.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

El_Cid_99
July 26th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I'm with you, Cat.man. I would also love to have VMI back for the obvious rivalry, but also to ditch the non-football schools and bring JMU, UofR, and W&M into the fold (and ETSU, if it comes back).

That would be a mighty tough conference.

catamount man
July 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm with you, Cat.man. I would also love to have VMI back for the obvious rivalry, but also to ditch the non-football schools and bring JMU, UofR, and W&M into the fold (and ETSU, if it comes back).

That would be a mighty tough conference.

JMU, Richmond, and the Tribe ain't leaving CAA for the SoCon, but yes, I'd take VMI and a returning ETSU back in a NY minute and I really hope ETSU gets their program back. I know they're aiming for 2009.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Sly Fox
July 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Answer me this, doe sit surprise anybody else that a benign thread about VMI possibly petitioning the SoCon for a return would turn into a Liberty bashfest. And surprise, surprise ... its our favorite SoCon-infatuated writer.

Come on, Scribe. Don't patronize him.

As for the Keydets, it is no secret the alumni have been less then pleased with the move. But lets face the facts, the same issues that led them to the Big South are still in place today. I'd love to see them stick with they are for a few more years while they get their act together from a facilities standpoint. They have made great progress recently in that regard and they should soon begin to see the benefits of their investment.

gasoutherneagle
July 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Get them, CCU, Hampton, and in 2009, a returning ETSU and you can have SoCon North and SoCon South with a true conference champion being crowned.

Forget Hampton... GET FAMU!

VMI, FAMU, and I hate saying this... CCU.

catamount man
July 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Forget Hampton... GET FAMU!

VMI, FAMU, and I hate saying this... CCU.

And ETSU minus the mini-dump. Actually, instead of FAMU, get SC State. From what I've heard, the Orangeburg folks want out of the MEAC. Buddy Pough and his bulldogs would be a welcomed addition to the SoCon.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

IaaScribe
July 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Dave, I'll be there tomorrow, hopefully with better results than I showed on the course today. I'll say hi.

Sly, not patronizing ... I can't wait to see what kind of affect the new facilities (football ops center, turf, etc.) has on Liberty. I think it will be very positive. But like a lot of people, I'm in "show me proof" mode after last year's debacle.

Dave, I will say this ... the commitment at Liberty to build athletics is real, and the new A.D. has a sense of direction the old guy didn't. Barber got more done in two months on the job than the old guy (Thom Park) did in his eight months. It's an interesting school to keep an eye on.

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Answer me this, doe sit surprise anybody else that a benign thread about VMI possibly petitioning the SoCon for a return would turn into a Liberty bashfest. And surprise, surprise ... its our favorite SoCon-infatuated writer.

Come on, Scribe. Don't patronize him.

As for the Keydets, it is no secret the alumni have been less then pleased with the move. But lets face the facts, the same issues that led them to the Big South are still in place today. I'd love to see them stick with they are for a few more years while they get their act together from a facilities standpoint. They have made great progress recently in that regard and they should soon begin to see the benefits of their investment.
Sorry, but there was no bashing taking place here. Truth, yes, bashing, no. I was asked a direct question about Liberty. I wasn't the one who brought Liberty up. It is definitely on topic when the subject of other Big South or SoCon schools come up in this thread. Sorry that you can't handle the truth about your program.

Linehawg
July 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I'd love to be able to shed some light on this but Donny White (AD) doesn't ask me for advice like he should...xlolx

Go...gate
July 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Liberty is going to make it in I-A football because Jerry Falwell "gets it" in terms of how fast successful athletic teams raise a university's national profile and prominence. He's following the blueprint used at Notre Dame, BYU and Boston College in football and Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova in basketball. I think they have a very good chance to succeed, though if they want true national I-A football, they need a better facility, access to a larger stadium, or some very good scheduling arrangements for certain home games like Army and Navy now do. :twocents:

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2006, 09:01 PM
VMI...WOULD FARE BETTERAH IN IRAQ!........................AWK!

Sly Fox
July 26th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry, but there was no bashing taking place here. Truth, yes, bashing, no. I was asked a direct question about Liberty. I wasn't the one who brought Liberty up. It is definitely on topic when the subject of other Big South or SoCon schools come up in this thread. Sorry that you can't handle the truth about your program.

I guess I missed the direct question you are referring to.

And your opinion and the truth are not necessarily one and the same. As for the pigs flying comment .... very classy. :rolleyes:

Now back to the alleged original purpose of the thread, what has changed at VMI since the decision was made to leave? Don't the Keydets have the same football issues today that they had back then. I fully understand the buyer's remorse aspect of the school. But I'm wondering if this is in the best interest of the program today. Obviously I have my own biased opinions for them staying where they are. But at least I own up to my slant on this board and don't claim journalistic objectivity.

Tod
July 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I guarantee I'll be asking Donnie about it. Actually, he is a very good guy. He is the one who told me about the talks between the Big South and the Great West last year.

Mr. C, if it's not too much to ask, what talks between the Big South and the Great West last year? I know it's old news now, but if you could give just a quick synopsis, that would be great.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Liberty is going to make it in I-A football because Jerry Falwell "gets it" in terms of how fast successful athletic teams raise a university's national profile and prominence. He's following the blueprint used at Notre Dame, BYU and Boston College in football and Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova in basketball. I think they have a very good chance to succeed, though if they want true national I-A football, they need a better facility, access to a larger stadium, or some very good scheduling arrangements for certain home games like Army and Navy now do. :twocents:

Dreams cost nothing, but football programs cost mucho dinero and simply take time to build. It helps to have a great (preferably a BCS) conference to join from the get-go. It also helps to be a huge school. Liberty has none of those things, isn't a huge school, and has zero prospect of breaking into the BCS party. You think the Sun Belt will give them national prominence?

Don't get me wrong - I understand his dream, and it's not stupid at all. I just don't see how to get there from here without money or time.

gophoenix
July 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Florida A&M?!?!?

No way, no frickin' way. I, and most other, prefer our schools and programs with a good bit less violations and a little more ethics.

If you want a big HBCU, go after A&T or SC State.

My gut says go after Coastal, VMI, Hampton, UNCW (only if they start football) or Georgia State (only if they start football).

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM
We only need one team for football. Two, if Chattanooga leaves. (I know ASU and GSU blah blah blah but they are not leaving for a awhile, if ever)

More than nine teams means everyone does not play everyone else.

PAmedic
July 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM
On behalf of LU alum and current students, I'd like to CORDIALLY invite Mr C to visit the school and actually talk to the new AD about the future of LU athletics. It may be enlightening, though Barber would probably have to speak very slowly ;)

AppGuy04
July 27th, 2006, 07:49 AM
On behalf of LU alum and current students, I'd like to CORDIALLY invite Mr C to visit the school and actually talk to the new AD about the future of LU athletics. It may be enlightening, though Barber would probably have to speak very slowly ;)

actions, not words my friend

try some of that, and then people might be inclined to listen

Hell, try winning the Big South first, arguably the worst I-AA conference in the land

Linehawg
July 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I've heard the "vision" speech too and with the huge amount of funding going into the facilities and the hiring of Danny Rocco it's easy to see he "gets it". But if he's really serious about Liberty becoming the Notre Dame, SMU, BYU, Baylor equivalent there's always that pesky "winning" thing that gets in the way. That means a different kind of athlete from top to bottom and (pertinent to a VMI string) there are institutional charateristics that limit the pool of available high quality athletes with regard to that happening in a big way anytime soon.xcoffeex

Linehawg
July 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM
VMI...WOULD FARE BETTERAH IN IRAQ!........................AWK!

...at the number of current cadets serving in Iraq. many have pulled tours and are back on campus finishing out their degrees. The Institute is being heard from today!

SoCon48
July 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Haven't heard it, but if it'll help keep from having to take the Hamps, Sammy's or the Coastal Chicken Wangs, I hope it's true.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
And it always makes me smile when I see Liberty fans trying to convince BigSouth fans from other schools that your school should stay in the BigSouth even though we Liberty are planning on getting out and going I-A.rolleyes:

Forget the progress or lack thereof for VMI, Is it possible they see the writing on the wall for the Big South in football. Liberty going I-A, CCU desperately wants out. The only conferences that provide traditional rivalries are the CAA and the SoCon, and there is no room in the CAA.

VMI should come back to the SoCon where it belongs.:D

SoCon48
July 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM
VMI should come back to the SoCon where it belongs.
I'll second that motion.

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I've heard the "vision" speech too and with the huge amount of funding going into the facilities and the hiring of Danny Rocco it's easy to see he "gets it". But if he's really serious about Liberty becoming the Notre Dame, SMU, BYU, Baylor equivalent there's always that pesky "winning" thing that gets in the way. That means a different kind of athlete from top to bottom and (pertinent to a VMI string) there are institutional charateristics that limit the pool of available high quality athletes with regard to that happening in a big way anytime soon.xcoffeex

That's the best thing that's been said on here. It's a good vision to have, and Jerry will get it done because he's Jerry. However, the Liberty Way doesn't allow the school to go after some of the kids that UVA (where Rocco came from) would go after.

I've been at Liberty a semester (I transferred from Coastal after Christmas). I've met the AD and two of the associate ADs. I've seen first hand the improvements. I drove by the school today. The new Ops Center is very nice and look at JMU's field turf to see what the new turf at LU will be like. There's a new committment to all of the sports, especially football and basketball. There is also a new committment to getting the students involved. Everyone knows that student involvement is key to athletics. App State is a good example of that in football. The Student Flames Club started at the end of April, and so far this summer it is up to 350+ members, with another freshman/transfer orientation tomorrow and the upperclassmen returning next month.

The things behind the scenes are changing in the right direction at Liberty. I've always say that LU needs to be make the playoffs 4-5 times before serious talk about I-A happens. A new conference would definitely help with that. There's going to be a major shakeup in I-AA conferences in the next few years and it might help LU there. LU hit the bottom last year. They were just a step up from Savannah State (each won the same amount of I-AA games). Things don't change overnight and everything takes time.

I've said all year that I expect LU to go anywhere from 5-6 to 7-4 this year. I think it'll be 6-5 overall with 4-4 against I-AA talent. After going 0-fer last year against I-AA, I think 4-4 is a good step up. Teams have to learn how to win in football, and this is the year for this team to do that. They're young. I know the schedule isn't the strongest (playing W&M, WCU, Wake, and Towson isn't too awfully bad though) but it is right for this team. I like to compare this year's LU team to the Coastal team their first year. They practiced together for a year and are very young. Coach Rocco will have LU in the same situation as Coastal within 2-3 years.

As for VMI, you gotta look out for #1 before you look out for anyone else. If the SoCon is what they think is best than more power to them.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
SuperJon,

Good Post. Only one disagreement. I think Liberty has to be in the Big South or independant. What conference is going to let them in with a stated goal of leaving that conference in the year 2015.:confused:

Unless of course, ASU, JMU and others form a conference with the stated goal of going I-A.

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
It might take being an independant. App will never leave the SoCon unless it's to go I-A. They've always been a SoCon school. Some LU fans have stated they'd like a conference with LU, JMU, GSU, ASU, and some others who are wanting to go I-A, then all move up together. I don't like the chances of that ever happening but I guess it's possible. Going from the Big South to I-A is like going from middle school football to 4A (or whatever the highest in your state is) varsity football.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
It might take being an independant. App will never leave the SoCon unless it's to go I-A. They've always been a SoCon school. Some LU fans have stated they'd like a conference with LU, JMU, GSU, ASU, and some others who are wanting to go I-A, then all move up together. I don't like the chances of that ever happening but I guess it's possible. Going from the Big South to I-A is like going from middle school football to 4A (or whatever the highest in your state is) varsity football.

I agree I don't think such a conference is going to happen either, but that is the only way another conference takes Liberty. and that is not a knock on Liberty. Short term members happen but a conference does not want to go into with that type of knowledge unless that conference is very desperate.

gophoenix
July 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM
So the question is, does the SoCon try and keep UTC (who seems more than poised to leave and who may not be happy even if we make conessions to try to keep them) or does the SoCon says screw it and move to be a more atlantic conference bringing back VMI, and taking Coastal, Hampton, UNCW, Georgia State or Kennesaw St?

JMU Duke Dog
July 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
So the question is, does the SoCon try and keep UTC (who seems more than poised to leave and who may not be happy even if we make conessions to try to keep them) or does the SoCon says screw it and move to be a more atlantic conference bringing back VMI, and taking Coastal, Hampton, UNCW, Georgia State or Kennesaw St?

If I remember correctly, Hampton applied for membership into the CAA a few years ago but did not receive an invitation. So maybe the Pirates would want to join the SoCon.

I don't think UNCW is going to be starting a I-AA football program anytime in the near future.

Georgia State seems to be interested in starting a I-AA football program but who knows when it would start though, and they would join the CAA already being a member in other sports.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Some where on another thread I admitted that I would not take too much of a diplomatic approach if I was commish ( thank god I am not). I would say love ya, want you to stay but tell me what it will take to keep you and then decide whether that is doable. If they say get a Tenn or Alabama school in the conference and I don't think that is possible, I go get CCU and VMI and tell Chatt that we will miss them.

I really don't know what else you do other than sit and wait and I don't think sitting and waiting is a good idea.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If I remember correctly, Hampton applied for membership into the CAA a few years ago but did not receive an invitation. So maybe the Pirates would want to join the SoCon.

I don't think UNCW is going to be starting a I-AA football program anytime in the near future.

Georgia State seems to be interested in starting a I-AA football program but who knows when it would start though, and they would join the CAA already being a member in other sports.

He was probably talking about bball.

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
UNC-W and UNC-C won't ever have football. There are no schools in the UNC system now that will add football if they don't already have it.

JMU Duke Dog
July 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I do not know too much about the SoCon's schools' desires but what would you all think about this conference alignment? Maybe the SoCon could go after Jacksonville State to keep Chattanooga?

North Division
Appalachian State
Chattanooga
East Tennessee State
Elon
VMI
Western Carolina

South Division
The Citadel
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Georgia Southern
Jacksonville State
Wofford

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I do not know too much about the SoCon's schools' desires but what would you all think about this conference alignment? Maybe the SoCon could go after Jacksonville State to keep Chattanooga?

North Division
Appalachian State
Chattanooga
East Tennessee State
Elon
VMI
Western Carolina

South Division
The Citadel
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Georgia Southern
Jacksonville State
Wofford

Jacksonville State would be a good add to the Conference. If JSU and Samford both would come I think it would be a no brainer. However, just one of them still leaves two schools on the outer edge of the conference geography. Three seems to make more sense.

I realize not everyone agrees with me but I would not take ETSU back.

Logistical problem only, when you have divisions such as this typically you play everyone in your division and then rotate playing years with the other division. If VMI comes back to the SoCon, they are going to play the Citadel every year just like they do now. They have to be in the same division ( I think)

Other than that it looks fine.

Now for me personally, I do not want the conference to have that many teams and two divisions. That means there are years we will not play ASU. I know that is the way many conferences are head but I hope the SoCon can resist. For me, the CAA can keep that structure

SoCon48
July 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Bring back the Keydets and stop right there. We don't need anymore members beyond what allows each football playing school to face each other every year. None of that lopsided rotating business.
If a school doesn't have football, let'em go to the Big South.
As to UT-C. Samford would not be enough of a concession to keep them. Most don't give a crap about Samford and it would stretch the travel to far for no return benefits. Nice school, but fits the Big South to a tee.

catdaddy2402
July 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Logistical problem only, when you have divisions such as this typically you play everyone in your division and then rotate playing years with the other division. If VMI comes back to the SoCon, they are going to play the Citadel every year just like they do now. They have to be in the same division ( I think)

Other than that it looks fine.

Now for me personally, I do not want the conference to have that many teams and two divisions. That means there are years we will not play ASU. I know that is the way many conferences are head but I hope the SoCon can resist. For me, the CAA can keep that structure

Why not do it like the ACC and SEC and have one permenant cross divisional rival? El Cid can play VMI every year, Furman and Appy St. Would that work?

gophoenix
July 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
As to UT-C. Samford would not be enough of a concession to keep them. Most don't give a crap about Samford and it would stretch the travel to far for no return benefits. Nice school, but fits the Big South to a tee.

I understand what you are saying, but it is less about fans lots of times and more about politics and what makes sense to the schools. We fans sometimes only see the picture of whats good for football, basketball and sometimes baseball and don't realize that track, cc, soccer, etc teams all have to travel too. The UTC fans may jumping for joy over Samford, but they'll welcome Samford before someone other team east of the mountains. Plus, it doesn't have to make the fans happy, just the presidents.

UNC-W and UNC-C won't ever have football. There are no schools in the UNC system now that will add football if they don't already have it.

I'm curious why you say that as UNCP just added football. And According to the UNCW fans, their administration has talked football recently, and they can cite meetings, where it is possible, but the travel budget would have to shrink, hence the interest in the SoCon.

I still say go for any one of the Hampton, VMI, Liberty, A&T, SC State, UNCW, Georgia State, Kennesaw St, Samford, Tenn Tech or Jacksonville St bunch as long as every school will play all 4 of the conference's major sports. That is the thing that drives me nuts about UTC, UNCG, CofC and Davidson in the fact that UTC doesn't play baseball and the others don't play football in the SoCon.

OL FU
July 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Why not do it like the ACC and SEC and have one permenant cross divisional rival? El Cid can play VMI every year, Furman and Appy St. Would that work?

yeah that would help. I just think it is nice an easy if you play every team in the conference. Then you don't have those years where people say "oh, Furman won cuz they had the easy rotation". But if you are going to have divisions your idea works

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
That is the thing that drives me nuts about UTC, UNCG, CofC and Davidson in the fact that UTC doesn't play baseball and the others don't play football in the SoCon.
I tell ya what, Chattanooga will get a baseball team when Elon gets a wrestling team. :)

Sometimes I get tired of the whole...everyone should have to compete in this or that...when only one school out of 11 fields a full SoCon slate of (men's) teams...ASU.

Every school has to make its decisions...Chattanooga had a title IX choice between a traditionally mediocre baseball team or a nationally prominent wrestling program (Mocs have won the conference tournament 20 times since joining the SoCon less than 30 years ago).

Who really gives a crap if we have a baseball team or not? I think it might just be you.

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
But isn't the SoCon a baseball conference? Haha.

gophoenix
July 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Haha,
yes, the SoCon is a baseball conference. More teams are competitive nationally top to bottom in baseball against all of DI than in any other sport.

So laugh all you want, the truth is right there. App fans seem to have a real issue with that.

gophoenix
July 27th, 2006, 06:35 PM
CM,

Who gives a crap if UTC has baseball? Jump over to the UNCG, CofC, Furman, Elon, GSU and Western boards during baseball season and listen to the same gripes about UTC not fielding the team every year. So quite a few actually.

I'll tell you what, Elon will field a Wrestling team when wrestling is considered a major sport, covered nationally in papers and SoCon matches are televised regionally.

Until then, baseball remains a major sport.

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Haha,
yes, the SoCon is a baseball conference. More teams are competitive nationally top to bottom in baseball against all of DI than in any other sport.

So laugh all you want, the truth is right there. App fans seem to have a real issue with that.

I know how good the SoCon is in baseball. I was just making the joke because it'd piss off a few people and I'd get a laugh out of it.

I interned with my high school baseball coach the year after I graduated and we faced Steven Hensley in the Western Finals. The kid's awesome. We awesome faced Jason Rook (ASU) two years in a row in the playoffs (my senior year and the year after that).

Saint3333
July 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Haha,

Only one person believes the SoCon is a baseball conference.:bang:

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
According to reports out of the Big South meetings, VMI hasn't petitioned to go back to the SoCon.

rokamortis
July 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
According to reports out of the Big South meetings, VMI hasn't petitioned to go back to the SoCon.

I have no idea if they have or have not - but in all fairness - what do you expect them to say if it is true? Conference alignment is some cloak and dagger stuff.

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
CM,

Who gives a crap if UTC has baseball? Jump over to the UNCG, CofC, Furman, Elon, GSU and Western boards during baseball season and listen to the same gripes about UTC not fielding the team every year. So quite a few actually.

I'll tell you what, Elon will field a Wrestling team when wrestling is considered a major sport, covered nationally in papers and SoCon matches are televised regionally.

Until then, baseball remains a major sport.

I visit all the boards almost daily...show me one post beside you/Elon that "gripes" about Chattanooga not having baseball.

Now I have seen people say they would like it if Chattanooga had a team..or that they can't believe with the size of the city that we don't (because we have so much local talent)...and hey, many UC people say the same thing...but I think your claim of "gripes" is just yet another typical overstatement by you.

But quite frankly, I totally agree, I think Chattanooga and their 120+ SoCon titles should be kicked out of the league for not having baseball...I will be the first one to vote with you :thumbsup: We will take our league leading attendance in men's and women's basketball, our large contigent of tournament fans, and our hosting of the national championship game and head out of the Carolina Conference.

And while your at it, I think Elon should take a stand and tell the SoCon that unless CofC, etal, start playing football, that you guys are going to leave the conference! Yeah, that'll show 'em who's boss. :thumbsup:

(hopefully most will know that this is mainly sarcastic playful banter...I don't care enough to actually be upset that an Elon fans is upset that we don't have baseball)

Maybe this thread can go back to talking about VMI instead of Liberty going IA and baseball being a :major: sport. :p

SuperJon
July 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
This came from someone in the athletic department at a Big South school.

rokamortis
July 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Rumors are rumors and i don't buy them until they are official - but my point is that employees at Big South schools other than VMI would be the last to know and VMI would like to keep it a secret as long as possible.

Mr. C
July 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
The VMI people claimed it was just a rumor on Thursday at the Big South Media event. They said they had heard this rumor going around too. Commissioner Kyle Kallander claimed it was just a rumor as well. All of the Big South people wanted to know about Chattanooga. One person said they believe the UTC move to the OVC is a done deal. There were also questions being asked about what it would take to get the playoffs to 24 teams and some discussion about a 12th I-AA game each season. I get the impression that the Big South teams might be against a 12th game, because they feel it would hurt any chance of playoff expansion and an eventual auto bid.

Mr. C
July 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I guess I missed the direct question you are referring to.

And your opinion and the truth are not necessarily one and the same. As for the pigs flying comment .... very classy. :rolleyes:

But at least I own up to my slant on this board and don't claim journalistic objectivity.
I don't see anything that I've written being anything less than objective. Yes, I have opinions and yes, it is very obvious to see what Liberty's current limitations are. I have been on the Liberty campus and at Liberty games on several occasions. As a matter of fact, the second I-AA game I ever saw was a Liberty game. It seems like anytime I post about the Big South (a league I do know quite a bit about) that you are among the first ones to attack me. Get a grip. I don't have any investment in whether Liberty goes Division I-A or not. I could really care less. And as far as VMI is concerned, I have many friends in Lexington and would like to see them come back to the SoCon, just like most people around the SoCon would. But that is the whole of my feelings on the subject.

Mr. C
July 27th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Mr. C, if it's not too much to ask, what talks between the Big South and the Great West last year? I know it's old news now, but if you could give just a quick synopsis, that would be great.
At last year's Big South media day, Donnie White of VMI talked about how the subject of a merger between the Great West and the Big South had been discussed. The two leagues felt like that if they combined they would have a good shot at getting an auto bid. But it would be a nightmare in terms of travel costs and wasn't taken very seriously. Don't know if these talks ever went any further.

Mr. C
July 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
As I posted earlier, I have been on your campus several times and I know a number of people at Liberty. I also know people who have degrees from Liberty and others currently attending the school. I also know a variety of people in the Liberty athletic department, both currently and formerly.

Sorry, but I don't understand the speaking slowly crack. If that is a slap at me, it belongs on the smack board, not here.

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Rumors are rumors and i don't buy them until they are official - but my point is that employees at Big South schools other than VMI would be the last to know and VMI would like to keep it a secret as long as possible.

Yeah kinda like the rest of the SoCon finding out that the OVC had been discretly talking to Chattanooga for about 6 months before anyone in the mainstream knew about it. :eyebrow:

(and just for an update...no, no, no...it is not a done deal...Hart has only been on the job for less than two weeks and his only concern, besides getting a computer...ole Steve Sloan never had one...is getting ramped up for football season...no kind of decision, or even any kind of "leaning" has transpired on the SoCon/OVC issue...there ain't gonna be much happenin' until before the November meetings)

No Athletic Department person is ever going to let this kinda stuff out that is really "in the know" (unless they want it leaked)...not with the way the world is now (a messageboard would have it in 10 minutes...and within an hour it would be all over the conference). Whether VMI is really considering it or not...they are never going to admit that they might be thinking about go back to the SoCon (just like you would never tell your girlfriend that there might be some interest in your old girlfriend ;) )

Boy oh boy, there is so much going on in the SoCon right now (stuff I ache to blurt out, yet in doing so, I would never get any more info again)...it is like a soap opera with multiple scenarios and what you see is like an iceberg...only about a 1/4 of it is really exposed.

July 28th, 2006, 01:48 AM
... Boy oh boy, there is so much going on in the SoCon right now (stuff I ache to blurt out, yet in doing so, I would never get any more info again)...it is like a soap opera with multiple scenarios and what you see is like an iceberg...only about a 1/4 of it is really exposed.Yep! Add 14 more conferences, some indys, the NCAA and various alumni groups etc in and you'll be ready to publish for I-AA.org! xlolx :nod: :rotateh: :D :read:

The Gadfly
July 28th, 2006, 02:57 AM
VMI is doing VERY well in the Big South. I can absolutely understand why the SoCon would want them back. Maybe Savannah State could take their spot when they return to the SoCon? That way things won't change much. :twocents:

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Has Coastal petitioned to join the SoCon:confused: :rolleyes:

or just lobbied;)

I don't know if they have or haven't but words can be tricky.

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 06:49 AM
VMI is doing VERY well in the Big South. I can absolutely understand why the SoCon would want them back. Maybe Savannah State could take their spot when they return to the SoCon? That way things won't change much. :twocents:

There are many reasons to want them back but only one required -------------------- member starting in 1925:nod:

gophoenix
July 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM
CM,

Its funny to me, I-AA football isn't considered a major sport to the likes of UNCW, CofC, Georgia State, UNCG and nearly all I-A schools. But we I-AA guys consider it one. So is I-AA football a major sport or not?

And baseball is a major sport, as much as women's basketball is a major sport. Fox SportsSouth and ESPN call it a major sport. SoCon teams are televised, etc. Yet App (who has a historically crappy team) and UTC (who has no team) both have fans who have a problem with baseball being a major sport and with the SoCon being considered a baseball conference by over half the schools.

So maybe it is in the eyes of the beholder. I-AA is a major sport because we all field teams. But baseball isn't major to you because you sit around a twiddle your thumbs during the spring seasons while the rest of us are closely following our major spring sport.

As for overstatements....
I suggest you go look at the Western, CofC, GSU and The Citadel boards. Do a simple search, and you'll see more than a few threads of baseball fans talking about making UTC step up to the plate or leave. You'll also see fans griping about App and Wofford killing the RPI and SoS for the conference. No overstatements, people like you just can't handle criticism.... funny though, it's people like you that told Elon fans to get a tougher skin.... maybe you should take your own advice.

Also, I don't care about your attendance. How does that benefit Elon? Short answer - it doesn't.

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM
CM,

Its funny to me, I-AA football isn't considered a major sport to the likes of UNCW, CofC, Georgia State, UNCG and nearly all I-A schools. But we I-AA guys consider it one. So is I-AA football a major sport or not?

And baseball is a major sport, as much as women's basketball is a major sport. Fox SportsSouth and ESPN call it a major sport. SoCon teams are televised, etc. Yet App (who has a historically crappy team) and UTC (who has no team) both have fans who have a problem with baseball being a major sport and with the SoCon being considered a baseball conference by over half the schools.

So maybe it is in the eyes of the beholder. I-AA is a major sport because we all field teams. But baseball isn't major to you because you sit around a twiddle your thumbs during the spring seasons while the rest of us are closely following our major spring sport.

I suggest you go look at the Western, CofC, GSU and The Citadel boards. Do a simple search, and you'll see more than a few threads of baseball fans talking about making UTC step up to the plate or leave. You'll also see fans griping about App and Wofford killing the RPI and SoS for the conference. No overstatements, people like you just can't handle criticism.... funny though, it's people like you that told Elon fans to get a tougher skin.... maybe you should take your own advice.

Also, I don't care about your attendance. How does that benefit Elon? Short answer - it doesn't.

UNCW, CofC, Georgia State, UNCG ( I am not sure about CofC but with respect to the rest) - and we are not talking about message board fanatics because as we have discuss before message board fanatics are a very small minority of fans. I know a few grads from the above schools and their biggest complaint is that the grads of those schools are first and and foremost fans of other shcools first. Second, I would not expect any of those schools to consider I-AA football a major sport since their school plays no football at all. :rolleyes: :eek: xcoffeex

I guess definition of major sport is relative but for the vast majority of college sports fans, ( and I realize there are exceptions with certain hockey schools or soccer schools :rolleyes: )ranks college men's sports as follows:

Football and/ or basket ball

hmmm humm

Doodle doodle

Change the radio station

Baseball

doodle dee dum

type a memo

take nap

All others

We, (the participants on message boards, givers of money to the program, viewers of all things pertaining to our school) are not the typical fan.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
CM,

Couple points:
1. Yet App (who has a historically crappy team Wrong word. Should have used..recently instead. App has had good teams in the past. Won the SoCon a few times and put players in the majors.
2.with the SoCon being considered a baseball conference by over half the schools Message board posts don't constitute an official opinion. A major sport in a conference that has teams draw 10-25K in football should be able to draw more than 150 to baseball games for it to be considered "major" and a baseball conference. Hell, women's volleyball draws that.
3. SoCon teams are televised, etc. Oh, you mean the CofC-Woffie and Cit-Furmie on South Carolina ETV? Yeah, that's major.
4. The SoCon kicked ETSU for dropping football. Didn't kick out UT-C for baseball as I recall. (Do a simple search, and you'll see more than a few threads of baseball fans talking about making UTC step up to the plate or leave Those handfull of message bd members should 'step up to the plate' and actually attend a couple baseball games, then maybe someone would take them seriously.
Never saw it discussed on any boards, anyway. Guess there are some somewhere, though.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
. Second, I would not expect any of those schools to consider I-AA football a major sport since their school plays no football at all. :rolleyes: :eek: xcoffeex
I guess definition of major sport is relative but for the vast majority of college sports fans, ( and I realize there are exceptions with certain hockey schools or soccer schools :rolleyes: )ranks college men's sports as follows:

Good point, those schools that don't field a football team would have to consider baseball a 'major sport, otherwise "Equestrian" or the ilk would have to. Same goes for those who's football program sucks.xcoffeex
Hell, if App's only decent program was wrestling, I'd swear it was a major sport.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I visit all the boards almost daily...show me one post beside you/Elon that "gripes" about Chattanooga not having baseball.

Now I have seen people say they would like it if Chattanooga had a team..or that they can't believe with the size of the city that we don't (because we have so much local talent)...and hey, many UC people say the same thing...but I think your claim of "gripes" is just yet another typical overstatement by you.

But quite frankly, I totally agree, I think Chattanooga and their 120+ SoCon titles should be kicked out of the league for not having baseball...I will be the first one to vote with you :thumbsup: We will take our league leading attendance in men's and women's basketball, our large contigent of tournament fans, and our hosting of the national championship game and head out of the Carolina Conference.
And while your at it, I think Elon should take a stand and tell the SoCon that unless CofC, etal, start playing football, that you guys are going to leave the conference! Yeah, that'll show 'em who's boss. :thumbsup:

(hopefully most will know that this is mainly sarcastic playful banter...I don't care enough to actually be upset that an Elon fans is upset that we don't have baseball)
Maybe this thread can go back to talking about VMI instead of Liberty going IA and baseball being a :major: sport. :p

Hell, don't sweat the baseball crap. Take a poll of the 100,000 plus fans at SoCon football games on a Saturday and I bet most wouldn't even know that Chatt doesn't choose to field a baseball team. But I'll be money that the fans in Rhodes knew you field a football team both times you kicked their asses there.:thumbsup:

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hell, don't sweat the baseball crap. Take a poll of the 100,000 plus fans at SoCon football games on a Saturday and I bet most wouldn't even know that Chatt doesn't choose to field a football team. But I'll be money that the fans in Rhodes knew you field a football team both times you kicked their asses there.:thumbsup:

Now that is what I call a Freudian slip:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx :D

gophoenix
July 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I don't know why you guys get so pissed off about baseball, Ireally just don't understand it.

We're a football conference, we're also a baseball conference. Elon sucks at football right now, but that doesn't mean we aren't a football conference.

Having multiple teams going to the college world series, consistently beating top 10 baseball programs in weekend series, consistently being a top conference in nationally, pulling in big schools for home series, having over half the conference being in the top half of the country. Yes, it is a baseball conference.

Attendance has nothing to do with performance of sports. Ice Kockey is still a major sport even though it draws peanuts compared to the other three.

You are reading way too much into the point I am trying to make. The conference can be good at more than one sport, it's not a knock on football to have that happen.

Second, I would not expect any of those schools to consider I-AA football a major sport since their school plays no football at all.

Now you see my point on why a UTC fan posting about baseball is a bit ironic and is exactly why I made the comparison. of course its not a "major" sport when you don't field the team. But to the 30,000 fans at SoCon weekend baseball games, it is.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know why you guys get so pissed off about baseball, Ireally just don't understand it.

We're a football conference, we're also a baseball conference. Elon sucks at football right now, but that doesn't mean we aren't a football conference.

Having multiple teams going to the college world series, consistently beating top 10 baseball programs in weekend series, consistently being a top conference in nationally, pulling in big schools for home series, having over half the conference being in the top half of the country. Yes, it is a baseball conference.

Attendance has nothing to do with performance of sports. Ice Kockey is still a major sport even though it draws peanuts compared to the other three.

You are reading way too much into the point I am trying to make. The conference can be good at more than one sport, it's not a knock on football to have that happen.

Now you see my point on why a UTC fan posting about baseball is a bit ironic and is exactly why I made the comparison. of course its not a "major" sport when you don't field the team. But to the 30,000 fans at SoCon weekend baseball games, it is.

"Attendance has nothing to do with performance of sports.30,000? "

No, but attendance tells whether there are people who give a crap..or not.

30,000? ROFL. Oh, you mean for all 424 games? Oh, OK. But it does look ike there were be more parents, room mates and girlfriends than that. Guess not.:eyebrow:

If performance is the key, then you just elevated soccer, women's soccer, M&W Track and Field, etc up to major sports!!!

And by the way, it is a knock on football because the usual point is that conference is a baseball conference mainly because the conf does not play football at the I-A level. To say the ACC is a basketball confernce means that basketball is the marquee sport for the ACC. To say that the SoCon is known for its baseball over the football programs is a joke.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Now that is what I call a Freudian slip:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx :D
Well no, that was just an alzerheimers slip. We ASU fans know full well that Chatt fields a football team. They kicked our butts real good in '04.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Who's pissed? It's too funny to be pissed about.

BTW. I didn't know we could say "pissed" on here.

pissed pissed pissed

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Well no, that was just an alzerheimers slip. We ASU fans know full well that Chatt fields a football team. They kicked our butts real good in '04.

OK I my case it would have been freudian:smiley_wi

OL FU
July 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Who's pissed? It's too funny to be pissed about.

BTW. I didn't know we could say "pissed" on here.

pissed pissed pissed

I agree. Nobody is pissed. I also agree that the SoCon competes better in baseball, soccer, golf and a host of other collegiate activities on a national scale and not in a sub-classification. I also know ( At least for schools that have a football team) that for 90% of the people football is king.

It is really that simple.

gophoenix
July 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
To say that the SoCon is known for its baseball over the football programs is a joke.

Ok, in the sports community:
Western is known for baseball
UNCG is known for soccer
Elon is known for baseball
Georgia Southern is known for football and baseball
UTC is known for the basketballs
Davidson is known for Men's Basketball
CofC is known for Men's Basketball and baseball
Furman is known for Soccer, Tennis and Football
Wofford is known for Football
App is known for Football and track
The Citadel is now known for baseball

Football: 3 well known teams
Baseball: 5 well known teams
Soccer: 2 well known teams
M Basketball: 3 well known teams
W Basketball: 1 well known team
Track: 1 well known program
Tennis: 1 well known team

30,000? ROFL. Oh, you mean for all 424 games?
What's so funny?

To say that the SoCon is known for its baseball over the football programs is a joke.
When did I say that? Answer, I didn't.

If performance is the key, then you just elevated soccer, women's soccer, M&W Track and Field, etc up to major sports!!!
Uhm, no I didn't and they aren't elevated to that level yet. They still get no media attention, regardless of how godo they are. And they get virtually 0 tv time or tv news stories. And also, the SoCon is not good top to bottom in any sport other than baseball.

So pissed was the wrong word to use. Maybe you're not pissed, why get pissed at a message board. But any time anyone mentions baseball, fans from certain schools get in a tizzy over the comments. I'm sorry that baseball is so much better than the rest of the SoCon's sports.....

chattanoogamocs
July 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM

And how does Chattanooga having baseball really benefit Elon? It doesn't either...like I said, no one in the SoCon really cares, or is up in arms, over Chattanooga not having a team but you.

You seem to have this gigantic chip on your shoulder. I assume part of it is because you take a lot of flack from other fans for the fact that Elon as a crackerbox gym and the football team was terrible last year...baseball is the shining light of the program, I get it (and I completely agree, Elon field a great baseball team), so it is obvious for the bias. That's fine.

The other reason, I assume, for "the chip" is because you feel that others in the SoCon don't respect your school (of course that chip and attitude is half the problem...you alienate others, or piss them off)...so I guess you feel since they don't respect your school...or nitpick your program...the best defense is to point out other schools deficiencies. Well, we get it (or at least I do)...every school has its weak points...no school outside of ASU sponsors all sports.

Schools have different agendas, wrestling attendance at UC is just as good, or better, than most SoCon baseball teams...we have dedicated alums that pay for almost the entire program...we are nationally ranked have produced more than a dozen All-Americans. But it was a choice, because you can't have at all at this level...so it was baseball or wrestling. We made our choice 20+ years before Elon even went DI.

So I guess my point is don't throw stones...all the schools were admitted "as is"...Elon was the last to get it...it is not cool to join then immediately start telling the schools that have been here longer how they should run their programs.

Why don't you worry about trying to make your own programs better than dictating to others what they should and should not have...I will do the same. Actually, I always have...and I have tried to be supportive of your school...though your attitude makes it very difficult...and you have never once seen me on a messageboard rail about the "non-football schools"...it is what it is...we need them, they need us...I would much prefer CofC in the conference for their basketball tradition than not to have them at all.

...and like I said, show me some quotes....you're the one that made the claim...it is not my job to prove them, it's yours.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I agree. Nobody is pissed. I also agree that the SoCon competes better in baseball, soccer, golf and a host of other collegiate activities on a national scale and not in a sub-classification. I also know ( At least for schools that have a football team) that for 90% of the people football is king.

It is really that simple.

Simple for some.:cool:

SoCon48
July 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, in the sports community:Western is known for baseball

Football: 3 well known teams
Baseball: 5 well known teams
Soccer: 2 well known teams
M Basketball: 3 well known teams
W Basketball: 1 well known team
Track: 1 well known program
Tennis: 1 well known team

When did i say that? I didn't.

Uhm, no I didn't and they aren't elevated to that level yet. They still get no media attention, regardless of how godo they are. And they get virtually 0 tv time or tv news stories. And also, the SoCon is not good top to bottom in any sport other than baseball.

So pissed was the wrong word to use. Maybe you're not pissed, why get pissed at a message board. But any time anyone mentions baseball, fans from certain schools get in a tizzy over the comments. I'm sorry that baseball is so much better than the rest of the SoCon's sports.....

Umm.Voodoo math. I'd wager far more fans have heard of the SoCon's successes in football than the baseball "successes."
And Baseball: 5 well known teams
The problem is..not many have heard of the baseball programs, period. Like to know how. They don't attend games and the papers usually don't even print the scores!

When did i say that? I didn't.
Umm. That's the usual drivel when the "baseball" conference baloney comes up.

They still get no media attention, regardless of how godo they are. And they get virtually 0 tv time or tv news stories.

Gosh. That sounds exactly like SoCon baseball!! Dayum. 150 people at a game.

And also, the SoCon is not good top to bottom in any sport other than baseball
Been drinking some A-10 kool-aid? Besides, you normally say ASU sux in baseball. Even Elon would some football games in the Big South. Not too sure about App in baseball in recent years.

gophoenix
July 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Gosh. That sounds exactly like SoCon baseball!! Dayum. 150 people at a game.

Uhm, all the regional papers pring SoCon box scores for baseball from VA down to FL. There were 14 SoCon games on TV this year (most were while playing bigger schools, but still on TV none the less). Radio stations broadcast lots of the games up here, many local radio stations call out SoCon scores in baseball along with the ACC in northern NC. There's lots of media exposure for baseball. Plus, when you see 2 SoCon schools in all the top 25 polls and another receiving votes, that makes a statement too.

Now, this is not to take anything away from football as 4 schools have great attendance. Three schools are really good.

I'll just agree to disagree with you guys.

You seem to have this gigantic chip on your shoulder. I assume part of it is because you take a lot of flack from other fans for the fact that Elon as a crackerbox gym and the football team was terrible last year...baseball is the shining light of the program, I get it (and I completely agree, Elon field a great baseball team), so it is obvious for the bias. That's fine.

Of course it is biased. Every school is biased towards the programs they are successful in or the sports they field. That's what I've been trying to say.

And how does Chattanooga having baseball really benefit Elon? It doesn't either...like I said, no one in the SoCon really cares, or is up in arms, over Chattanooga not having a team but you.

I like UTC. I want UTC to stay in the conference. All I said was that others have said UTC needs to step up and field baseball (GSU and CofC fans). And Elon needs to step up and field a few other teams too, no doubt.

In reality, I was making an observation that if people are going to get on UNCG, CofC, and Davidson for not being in the conference for football, then why not go after anyone that doesn't field one of the big 4 sports (or any of the sports where we are just scraping by at or near the minimum teams). That's all.

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Article saying VMI has no intentions on leaving...

VMI AD says Keydets staying in Big South

By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
July 29, 2006

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - VMI athletics director Donny White denied speculation that the Keydets had officially petitioned to rejoin the Southern Conference.

Rumors surfaced the SoCon's football media days earlier this week that VMI, which was a Southern Conference member from 1935-2002, had contacted the league about readmission.

"No truth to it," White said.

VMI left the SoCon because it wanted a chance to be more competitive and so it could have scheduling flexibility. Southern Conference teams play eight league games; Big South teams play four. That gives the Keydets an opportunity to fill the schedule with Virginia rivals like Richmond, James Madison and William & Mary on a yearly basis.

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189676201&path=!sports

BigApp
July 29th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Haha,

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whatever. I'd bet good money that, if Elon wasn't good in baseball, you wouldn't be saying the SoCon was a 'baseball' conference.xidiotx

SoCon48
July 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Uhm, all the regional papers pring SoCon box scores for baseball from VA down to FL. There were 14 SoCon games on TV this year (most were while playing bigger schools, but still on TV none the less). Radio stations broadcast lots of the games up here, many local radio stations call out SoCon scores in baseball along with the ACC in northern NC. There's lots of media exposure for baseball. Plus, when you see 2 SoCon schools in all the top 25 polls and another receiving votes, that makes a statement too.

Now, this is not to take anything away from football as 4 schools have great attendance. Three schools are really good.

I'll just agree to disagree with you guys.There were 14 SoCon games on TV this year (most were while playing bigger schools, but still on TV none the less.

Uhm, all the regional papers pring SoCon box scores for baseball from VA down to FL
Umm. The Charlotte Observer left them out way more than they listed them. Except some Davidson scores.

There were 14 SoCon games on TV this year (most were while playing bigger schools, but still on TV none the lessPlease alert the SoCon office. They listed only 4 :hurray: of the 425 reg season games and they were evidently paid for by the schools themselves. 2 on ETV and 2 on the Can't See **** Channel.

Two games of the better schools' attendance would equal the total of all 425 regular aseason games attendance. That's real comparison of the interest.
Even the worst schools 5 football games would FAR excede their whole baseball schedule...maybe even for the whole conference's total.xlolx

Media exposure for baseball during reg season and even the tourney is a joke unless we're talking about a bit here and there in the Stanly News and Press or the Watauga Democrat.

SoCon48
July 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whatever. I'd bet good money that, if Elon wasn't good in baseball, you wouldn't be saying the SoCon was a 'baseball' conference.xidiotx

I'll buy that. I'd say the media would strongly disagree with it being a baseball conf. I see the Winston-Salem Journal assigning a reporter to all ASU football games plus a feature article once or twice a week. Haven't seen him covering SoCon baseball.
The Charlotte Observer had more words in one football article than they have of SoCon baseball over the past 5 years, total.