PDA

View Full Version : So, Can we say that the Socon is already somewhat upside down?

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Okay, so we are 3 weeks in and we are getting a *slight* feeling for how things are, but I'm not convinced of anything quite yet.

App state, Wofford, and GSU were the preseason top 3, but already GSU and App State have a conference loss. Wofford's 3-0 but played D2 Lincoln. GSU still has to play Georgia, and will likely lose to them. So as of now, GSU and App can't finish higher than 9-2, while Wofford at 10-1. With that said, Wofford game only get 9 D1 wins.

GSU and App needs 6 wins to qualify for the playoffs, while Wofford needs 5.

Not to mention the fact that the Citadel needs 4, and has already gone through the beef of their schedule, minus Wofford and NC State.

There's also Furman, who started 0-3, but still has 8 more conference/D1 games.

Elon is 2-1, but still needs 6 more games to win as well.

Samford is in the same position as Wofford

Anyway, the point is that right now, the Socon could get as many as 4 teams in, and I think conservatively we'll get at least 2. I'd say the teams with the greatest statistical likelihood of making the playoffs are:

1) The Citadel: only needs to win 4 more games and has games against VMI and Western Carolina. With Elon and Chattanooga at home, I see those as winnable games and toss ups. The Wofford game should be interesting, as the citadel hasn't won a game against Wofford since the Clinton administration and have played poorly the last few outings, but in that span the Citadel has played better at Wofford than at the Citadel.....the game is in sparkle city this year.

2)They still have to play App and wofford (both at home), but we don't know how good they are. Regardless, they only need 7 total D1 wins, meaning they just need to finish 5-3 in conference and thus they can afford to drop Wofford/App.

3A)Wofford: We have a tough 4 game stretch of Furman, @GSU, @App, and the Citadel, but I don't see us losing against more than 2 of those 4 and i most certainly don't see us losing 3 straight. Elon will be a toughy for us as well but I like our chances given we have a bye to prepare. I just like our chances to start 5-0, not because of we are *that much better* than Elon/Furman but because A) we have the bye against Elon and B) we are definitely going to be pumped to beat Furman and I think we have the capability to do so. If we start 6-0 or 6-1, I like our chances of making the playoffs.

3B)App State: It's hard to really make a decision on this one between Wofford and App. App supposedly looks weaker this year, but I'm not going to say that with confidence if and until Wofford beats them in Boone in about 5 weeks. They, like GSU benefit from playing 2 D1 team and only have to finish 5-3 in conference.

The pressure is really on Wofford IMO, we have to finish in the top 3 (with less than 3 conference losses) and we still have the beef of our schedule left. I'm not resting easy on our chances of making the playoffs until we get that 7th D1 win.

catamount man
September 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Well until the 2nd QTR last night, I was hoping some of that EL CID mojo would've rubbed our way. Alas, you guys are a machine that just keeps churning. Proud of our offense, but defense has a long way to go. Good luck the rest of the way. GO CATS!

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Well until the 2nd QTR last night, I was hoping some of that EL CID mojo would've rubbed our way. Alas, you guys are a machine that just keeps churning. Proud of our offense, but defense has a long way to go. Good luck the rest of the way. GO CATS!

You could tell we came out flatish in the first quarter, but the Cats looked ready to play. They were committed to shutting down the QB and the pitch man. All we needed were some good plays by the QB running the ball and EB to break some big runs and we had Western off balance for the rest of the day. We took the foot off of the gas about halfway through the 3rd, but still credit to WCU's offense, they look improved this year and they were very efficient passing the ball (what do you expect with a QB transfer from FBS Marshall?).

I think Western will be improved this year. I know you can't play the if-than game, but I think one of the reasons we were able to run for so many yards had more to do with our backups being so much better than last year. Statistically, the game is similar, but Western passed for many more yards. I think what did them in is that we shut down the run game and made western be one-dimensional. IF our offense wasn't improved, I don't know if we would have scored as much on this Western team with last year's team, and this year's Western offense is certainly improved.

Saint3333
September 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Three weeks in seems a little premature. Hard to tell about App they looked good for three quarters against an ECU team that just beat Southern Miss on the road and a Montana team that took care of Liberty.

We won't know where everyone is likely to end up until October at the earliest. If App had played Wofford's schedule our fans would likely be predicting a 4th title. Let wait three more weeks and then discuss.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Three weeks in seems a little premature. Hard to tell about App they looked good for three quarters against an ECU team that just beat Southern Miss on the road and a Montana team that took care of Liberty.

We won't know where everyone is likely to end up until October at the earliest. If App had played Wofford's schedule our fans would likely be predicting a 4th title. Let wait three more weeks and then discuss.

Nothing has happened so far this season to suggest an 0-3 Liberty is good. Unless you consider a 3 point loss to an FBS team, that was beaten Savannah State(55-0, 52-0) style by FSU.

Saint3333
September 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Liberty looked pretty good against Wake. But if you'd like to reference the FSU game I'll reference the UNCCH game.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, it's too early, but I think if there's one thing that can be said, it's that barring a total and complete meltdown, I think the likelihood of the citadel making the playoffs is good seeing as they only need 4 more wins and have already played the beefish part of their schedule.

Biff
September 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
1) The Citadel: only needs to win 4 more games and has games against VMI and Western Carolina. With Elon and Chattanooga at home, I see those as winnable games and toss ups. The Wofford game should be interesting, as the citadel hasn't won a game against Wofford since the Clinton administration and have played poorly the last few outings, but in that span the Citadel has played better at Wofford than at the Citadel.....the game is in sparkle city this year.

One more factor to throw in for The Citadel. Our bye week is the week prior to the Wofford game. To early to tell what that means but something to note.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
As usual, the SoCon will have teams sitting at home Thanksgiving weekend who can compete with a good many of the AL teams in the playoffs. I'm thinking Furman will be one of the best teams not in the playoffs this year once that young QB starts to mature.

Getting four teams into the playoffs is easier when you have a rigidly tiered conference and the lower tier seldom beats teams from the upper tier. That's not the way it is in this league, though. Furman is notorious for tripping up teams having a good season and will get better as that QB matures. And Chatty is not going to throw in the towel even though their playoff chances are all but shot now. Heck, I think even Western and Elon will steal a win or two from the other seven teams.

gsugt1
September 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM
When its all said and done I expect that GSU will be right in the thick of it. As our QB gets more comfortable we'll be getting better. We have Wofford and App at home which will help.

CID1990
September 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM
When its all said and done I expect that GSU will be right in the thick of it. As our QB gets more comfortable we'll be getting better. We have Wofford and App at home which will help.

I tend to agree with this. GSU crapped the bed in Charleston, but the toughest part of their schedule is in Statesboro. If they win the ones they are supposed to, they might well be the #2 or even #1 team when all is said and done.

seantaylor
September 17th, 2012, 01:41 AM
GSU will be fine. Our schedule sets up perfectly. Izzy is going to get better every week, and we should have won in Charleston.

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 06:01 AM
GSU will be fine. Our schedule sets up perfectly. Izzy is going to get better every week, and we should have won in Charleston.

Hey Chattown...I mean Seantaylor are you conceding we should have won last year in Statesboro?

Or how about two years ago when we fumbled 9 times and GSU won 20-0? Those points came off of turnovers, so take away all those fumbles and we should have won.

Or what about our mistakes GSU failed to capitalize on this year? We showed you how to do that (14 points), maybe you should have been paying attention.

23-21. Practice your kicking.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hey Chattown...I mean Seantaylor are you conceding we should have won last year in Statesboro?

Or how about two years ago when we fumbled 9 times and GSU won 20-0? Those points came off of turnovers, so take away all those fumbles and we should have won.

Or what about our mistakes GSU failed to capitalize on this year? We showed you how to do that (14 points), maybe you should have been paying attention.

In the SoCon, games come down to things like special teams and ball control. If you don't make your kicks and don't hold onto the football, there's a high probability you will lose.

Eaglesrus
September 17th, 2012, 07:50 AM

From what I hear that advice was very much taken to heart last week. Sure hope it yields results.

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
From what I hear that advice was very much taken to heart last week. Sure hope it yields results.

Dude, after seeing Monken in that post game video I was cringing for those kids. They have two weeks of it, too. The only people I pity more than the GSU players is Elon.

cannonballgsu
September 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
It is a little ironic that GSU lost to Citadel after missing a last second field goal - just like Citadel lost to GSU the year before...

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM
It is a little ironic that GSU lost to Citadel after missing a last second field goal - just like Citadel lost to GSU the year before...

In many respects, the 4th quarter was almost a carbon copy of 2011.