View Full Version : Is The Citadel this year's Towson?

drpnut
September 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Last year Towson was the suprise of the year, I got an idea that the Citadel is this year's version, except they won't go from worst to first.

CID1990
September 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Lots of football left to play.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Off to a darn good start though

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
They look really good right now...really good.

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
This years Sam Houston?

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
This years Sam Houston?

No because if they win out, The Citadel is beating perennial powers in a power conference. I would say Towson is the right comparison.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Possibly. Ask yourself what is more likely.

1. GSU has fallen off far from what they were last year, and so has App. State even though they have Scott Satterfield back and have most of their starters back on defense. Montana is struggling with their coaching transition more than they usually do and The Citadel isn't going to be successful running an offense that they have had past success with.

2. The Citadel is just pretty good.

HappyHippie
September 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
They looked damn good yesterday.

CID1990
September 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Channel 4 in Charleston sent a crew to Boone (they say they had a feeling about the game) and they have some pretty decent highlights here:

http://m.abcnews4.com/default.aspx

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
No because if they win out, The Citadel is beating perennial powers in a power conference. I would say Towson is the right comparison.

I was looking at how good they are not their schedule or conference. The Citidel is better than Towson, IMO. They might get a playoff seed, as Towson did not.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:13 PM
This years Sam Houston?

A very good team that sleepwalked through zero resistance in conference games?

I don't think so.

Mr. Pink
September 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
A very good team that sleepwalked through zero resistance in conference games?

I don't think so.

Agreed, but they did still make it to the NC... We can't say one slept walked through the playoffs...

heath
September 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM

1. GSU has fallen off far from what they were last year, and so has App. State even though they have Scott Satterfield back and have most of their starters back on defense. Montana is struggling with their coaching transition more than they usually do and The Citadel isn't going to be successful running an offense that they have had past success with.

sour grapes?xeyebrowxIf GSU and APP ST have fallen off then why in the hell were they ranked top 10 and their fans not stepping up and saying anything? Give credit where credit is duexbowx

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
The citadel played great defense as usual and executed offensively against App. App lost some key playmakers and we really won't know how bad their total losses are until they may stumble again. The GSU vs Citadel game was just a typical match-up for them, the only difference is that the Citadel pulled it out in the end.

I think the Citadel is a good team as is App/GSU, but I don't think it's time to jump on The Citadel for NC bandwagon just yet, nor do I think it's time to jump on "App/GSU is terrible/out to make a run" bandwagon either. it's just way too early to say anything.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM
The citadel played great defense as usual and executed offensively against App. App lost some key playmakers and we really won't know how bad their total losses are until they may stumble again. The GSU vs Citadel game was just a typical match-up for them, the only difference is that the Citadel pulled it out in the end.

I think the Citadel is a good team as is App/GSU, but I don't think it's time to jump on The Citadel for NC bandwagon just yet, nor do I think it's time to jump on "App/GSU is terrible/out to make a run" bandwagon either. it's just way too early to say anything.

Don't worry the Citadel will score 7 or less in Fargo. ;)

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 07:12 PM
sour grapes?xeyebrowxIf GSU and APP ST have fallen off then why in the hell were they ranked top 10 and their fans not stepping up and saying anything? Give credit where credit is duexbowx

I think that was his point with #2, which I think most people agree with

The Eagle's Cliff
September 16th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Obviously The Citadel is in a good position now having defeated both GSU and App.

As a GSU fan, I'm not overly worried. I saw the Citadel game as a challenge when the schedule came out. For the Eagles, this will be a progressive season like 2010 where players, especially QB, hopefully get better each week.

The App-Chatty, UNI-YSU, and SHSU-CAU games are the most interesting conference match ups this week.

If GSU doesn't absolutely destroy Elon, I'll be disappointed and surprised.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM

I say #1 and #2, not either/or, which supports the idea of The Citadel being this year's Towson. Last year was a big time down year for the CAA. URI still sucked. UMass was average at best. JMU struggled with injuries and limped into the playoffs. W&M was bad. Richmond even worse (0-8 in CAA play). So yeah, when all the teams around you fall apart it's a lot easier to rise to the top.

My question as a non-SoCon fan is what is it that the Citadel is doing well to beat the supposed "best" of the SoCon?