PDA

View Full Version : Conference Power Ranking after Week 3

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Here I have ranked conferences based on results through Week 3.*
The rankings are based on power from top to bottom in each conference.
Previous week ranking in parentheses for your enjoyment.

1. Missouri Valley (1)
2. Big Sky (2)
3. Southern (3)
4. Southland (4)
5. Ohio Valley (6)
6. Colonial (5)
7. Ivy (8)
8. Patriot (7)
9. MEAC (9)
10. Big South (10)
11. NEC (11)
12. Pioneer (12)
13. SWAC (13)

*Teams originally seeded using 2011-2012 result set.

UNH Fanboi
September 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Ohio Valley over CAA?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
IN terms of the top half of the conferences, MVC is probably tops, but not clearly. Big Sky, SoCon, and CAA are probably all more solid across the board though. MVC has a big dropoff after the top teams moreso than those conferences.
Also, no way is the OVC better than the CAA any way you slice it.

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
...no way is the OVC better than the CAA any way you slice it.
The conferences are razor close in the system I employ. It comes down to SOS currently.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 11:35 AM
IVY over the MEAC, Big South and NEC. Smoking crack.

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just using the data.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM

You missed the patriot league. 3-1 yesterday vs Ivies

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Engineer...that was my point exactly; you hit it on the head.

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM
You missed the patriot league. 3-1 yesterday vs Ivies
These two conferences are razor close in the system I employ. Average ranking: Ivy - 63.5, Patriot - 63.85

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
3-2. Lehigh, Lafayette, and Fordham won. Yale beat Georgetown and Brown beat Holy Cross.
My bad, missed Yale

Thundar
September 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
IN terms of the top half of the conferences, MVC is probably tops, but not clearly. Big Sky, SoCon, and CAA are probably all more solid across the board though. MVC has a big dropoff after the top teams moreso than those conferences.

I would say the big sky has the largest drop off, but just my opinion

LakesBison
September 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Put the DATA up there, The scores, thanks please

JMUNJ08
September 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
The conferences are razor close in the system I employ. It comes down to SOS currently.

So because OVC played tougher/ more FBS games, they are a better conference now? Look at the teams! That doesn't past the eye test sir.....

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 12:19 PM
So because OVC played tougher/ more FBS games, they are a better conference now? Look at the teams! That doesn't past the eye test sir.....
It is not the only component of the formula, but the one that appears to have pushed the OVC over the top. And, it should be noted that the difference is very, very slight.

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Put the DATA up there, The scores, thanks please
http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/scores.htm

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Good stuff. Its still only the third week, those differences will become greater and the kinks will get worked out. Power Rankings will get more accurate with time. For those complaining about the effect of playing FBS teams, you can't have it both ways. That SOS indicator is strong during the first few weeks of a Power Ranking system.

Instead of ripping this guy apart, you guys should appreciate the time and effort he puts into these rankings; its not exactly easy to do. Keep it coming Dystopia, there will always be upset fans because math doesn't always agree with their biased opinions.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I would say the big sky has the largest drop off, but just my opinion

I would say the SoCo has the biggest dropoff, after Citadel, Wofford, App, and GSU.

Big Sky has EWU, UM, Cal Poly, MSU, NAU, UND and possibly Sac as feasible contenders.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I would say the SoCo has the biggest dropoff, after Citadel, Wofford, App, and GSU.

Big Sky has EWU, UM, Cal Poly, MSU, NAU, UND and possibly Sac as feasible contenders.

Samford, Furman, and UTC can all play with that group of teams.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Furman... LOL.

PAllen
September 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I'll admit that I jumped on this when it first came out as being totally bogus, and I'd have to say, that at this point, the results are more than a bit skewed (my guess is from using last year's standings as a start). That all being said, let's cut the guy some slack, and see where this ends up towards the end of the season. He doesn't have enough valid data to make a reasonable assessment yet, let's see what his system spits out once he does. Just sayin'

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Here's the same system's final rankings from last year.

1. Missouri Valley
2. Great West
3. Colonial
4. Southern
5. Big Sky
6. Patriot
7. Southland
8. Ohio Valley
9. Ivy
10. Big South
11. Northeast
12. Mid-Eastern
13. Pioneer
14. Southwestern

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Conference strength can only correctly be assessed via a cross-over of the top teams.

The top four teams in the MVFC go 4-0 or a minimum of 3-1 against the top four teams from any other conference. Simple as that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Conference strength can only correctly be assessed via a cross-over of the top teams.

The top four teams in the MVFC go 4-0 or a minimum of 3-1 against the top four teams from any other conference. Simple as that.

Both of those statements are your opinion.

Cocky
September 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
The OVC may not have an elite team but has several very solid teams this year. The conference as a whole is strong this year with no easy wins.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Both of those statements are your opinion.

Can't wait for the playoffs, it'll be proven there.

I expect, no demand, 4 MVFC teams in this year.

mmiller_34
September 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
The OVC may not have an elite team but has several very solid teams this year. The conference as a whole is strong this year with no easy wins.

I agree with this. Eastern Illinois has looked good despite being 1-2, even SEMO played well against an FBS.

seantaylor
September 17th, 2012, 01:39 AM

Why would you think that? Furman lost to an awful Coastal team at home.

Jazzman1522
September 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM

I think it's harder to gauge conference/team strength in the FCS because most teams only play 3 out of conference games and many of them play at least one of those against a team not in the FCS (FBS, Div. II, etc.). That being said, every team in the OVC except for Austin Peay has won at least one game against an out of conference FCS opponent. Every team that has at least one loss (All but TSU) has had at least one come against an FBS opponent. And UT-Martin beat Memphis in the FBS.

All that to say, I think the OVC's had a pretty solid out of conference showing this year.

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 08:16 AM
So far its been MVFC, Big Sky 1 and 2. Will this change during conference play or stay the same?

Milktruck74
September 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
So far its been MVFC, Big Sky 1 and 2. Will this change during conference play or stay the same?

Conference ranking shouldn't change during conference play...it come down to a sum zero, on win and one loss...therefore, the conference rank should stay the same overall. Not sure the formula that is used here, but I feel my logic is good.

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Conference ranking shouldn't change during conference play...it come down to a sum zero, on win and one loss...therefore, the conference rank should stay the same overall. Not sure the formula that is used here, but I feel my logic is good.

Not true. This would only be true if all conferences were round robin. They aren't.