PDA

View Full Version : UND's stats through Week 3

darell1976
September 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&conference=I-AA_all&year=2012

In the FCS out of 122 teams:

Offense:

#3 in Points per game with 50.7
#5 in yards per game with 514.3
#5 in total passing yds with 1011
#29 in total rushing yds with 532
#1 (tied) in TD passes with 14
#12 (tied) in Int's thrown with 1
#24 (tied) in rushing TD's with 6

Defense:

#70 in points allowed per game with 28.7
#78 in yards allowed per game with 396.7
#84 in passing yds allowed with 660
#74 in rushing yds allowed with 530

QB Marcus Hendrickson leads the FCS in QB rating with 191.0 with QB throwing more than 20 passes. He is 8th in yards, and #2 in TD passes.
WR Greg Hardin is #1 in Receiving yards with 435 and #1 in TD receptions with 7.

In short great offense, but horrible defense. If UND can fix that defense they could be a powerful team on the horizon.

Gothmog
September 16th, 2012, 09:12 AM
So, what you're saying is - If UND were better , they'd be good. Hmmm, how many teams can say that?

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM
In short great offense, but horrible defense.

Sums it up from what I've seen.

darell1976
September 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM
So, what you're saying is - If UND were better , they'd be good. Hmmm, how may teams can say that?

I am saying if UND can fix their defensive problem they would be a monster of a team and could very well challenge for the BSC title. I am sure UND fans didn't think their passing game was going to be this good. 14 TD's and only 1 pick which came early in the SDSU game (pick six).

Gothmog
September 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I am saying if UND can fix their defensive problem they would be a monster of a team and could very well challenge for the BSC title. I am sure UND fans didn't think their passing game was going to be this good. 14 TD's and only 1 pick which came early in the SDSU game (pick six).

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

swaghook
September 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Come back when you play a team that has a real Defense. So far your numbers on Offense are skewed due to playing either sub-divisional(way sub) or crappy teams in terms of having a D. When you play the top half of the BSC we will see if your O is as good as you would like to think it is.

bisonguy
September 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Dunno why you guys are ripping on UND's offense.

Using the South Dakota School of Mimes as a common opponent, UND's offense is pretty comparable to the D2 Colorado School of Mimes who debuted at #23 in the D2 poll last week. CSM had more return yards on special teams and 3 interceptions, but I have no doubt that UND would be a top 25 D2 team or at least be receiving a few votes.

WTF happened to UND's defense and running game? Those both used to be cornerstones of UND football, even as recent as last season.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Its funny how those stats change when you only consider DI games. UND loses a TD per game to 43 points per game offensively and gives up 43 points per game defensively. Looks like UND averages a tie ;)

Hambone
September 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Come back when you play a team that has a real Defense. So far your numbers on Offense are skewed due to playing either sub-divisional(way sub) or crappy teams in terms of having a D. When you play the top half of the BSC we will see if your O is as good as you would like to think it is.

Curious as to why all the Bison fans now all of the sudden think that SDSU has such a terrible defense. Gave up 21 at Washington and 7 to Army. Prior to the game most of the Bison fans I heard from said that now UND would run into a real defense and it would show that UND's offense is overrated, but now that UND had a pretty strong offensive showing it's because SDSU's defense is terrible. Won't really know how good their defense is, or UND's offense for that matter, until later in the year. UND's defense is struggling, but hopefully we can get some of the issues straightened out starting next week with conference play. The offense is clicking right now though.

I get it Bison fans - you need to say whatever you can to try and prove that UND is not a good football team. Every time that there is a thread about UND that could have something positive you Herd fans flock to it to and scream "UND sucks, NDSU rules". I have no idea why you all (I shouldn't say all, but there are quite a few) feel the need to do that constantly. It really ruins my message board experience, as I'm sure it does for a lot of others.

Off my soapbox now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Sums it up from what I've seen.

UND's defense needs to improve for sure.

Offense looks like it can score a lot of points. If games become shoot-outs they can score with anyone it looks like.

BisonBabe
September 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Curious as to why all the Bison fans now all of the sudden think that SDSU has such a terrible defense. Gave up 21 at Washington and 7 to Army. Prior to the game most of the Bison fans I heard from said that now UND would run into a real defense and it would show that UND's offense is overrated, but now that UND had a pretty strong offensive showing it's because SDSU's defense is terrible. Won't really know how good their defense is, or UND's offense for that matter, until later in the year. UND's defense is struggling, but hopefully we can get some of the issues straightened out starting next week with conference play. The offense is clicking right now though.

I get it Bison fans - you need to say whatever you can to try and prove that UND is not a good football team. Every time that there is a thread about UND that could have something positive you Herd fans flock to it to and scream "UND sucks, NDSU rules". I have no idea why you all (I shouldn't say all, but there are quite a few) feel the need to do that constantly. It really ruins my message board experience, as I'm sure it does for a lot of others.

Off my soapbox now.

I think even you have to admit that your Defense is suspect and the teams you have played so far have the same issue. When you can score at will and the other team can as well there is a big problem. Hopefully your coach can get that sorted out soon or it could be a long season for the fans.

Hambone
September 16th, 2012, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=BisonBabe;1844546]I think even you have to admit that your Defense is suspect and the teams you have played so far have the same issue. When you can score at will and the other team can as well there is a big problem. Hopefully your coach can get that sorted out soon or it could be a long season for the fans.[/Q

You're right - the defense sucks right now. It's painful to watch right now, as they can't tackle anyone. There really is no denying that, and I don't know one UND fan who has denied that.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&conference=I-AA_all&year=2012

In the FCS out of 122 teams:

Offense:

#3 in Points per game with 50.7
#5 in yards per game with 514.3
#5 in total passing yds with 1011
#29 in total rushing yds with 532
#1 (tied) in TD passes with 14
#12 (tied) in Int's thrown with 1
#24 (tied) in rushing TD's with 6

Defense:

#70 in points allowed per game with 28.7
#78 in yards allowed per game with 396.7
#84 in passing yds allowed with 660
#74 in rushing yds allowed with 530

QB Marcus Hendrickson leads the FCS in QB rating with 191.0 with QB throwing more than 20 passes. He is 8th in yards, and #2 in TD passes.
WR Greg Hardin is #1 in Receiving yards with 435 and #1 in TD receptions with 7.

In short great offense, but horrible defense. If UND can fix that defense they could be a powerful team on the horizon.

I'm really glad for Hendrickson! That Perham, MN boy is going to do some damage to Big Sky defenses! Coach is going to have to keep playing him.

Keep that North Carolina guy outta there. xnodx

344Johnson
September 16th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Curious as to why all the Bison fans now all of the sudden think that SDSU has such a terrible defense.

Off my soapbox now.

You raise a good point. My thing I will say is that good defenses don't give up 41 points to anyone. Kudos to UND for scoring that much though. That team should not be playing in Qualcomm. It looked empty.

UNDColorado
September 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Bottom line is defense needs to improve, no doubt about that.

Sagarin ratings has us as the 23rd overall FCS team: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

However, I will need to see our defense perform against Sac State this weekend before I start calling for any rankings.

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Bottom line is defense needs to improve, no doubt about that.

Sagarin ratings has us as the 23rd overall FCS team: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

However, I will need to see our defense perform against Sac State this weekend before I start calling for any rankings.

I get confused on his ratings whatever elo chess is and the predictor. Is that stuff accurate?

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Massey has UND at #16.
http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&yr=2012&sub=11605

UNDColorado
September 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I get confused on his ratings whatever elo chess is and the predictor. Is that stuff accurate?

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Massey has UND at #24.

I really don't know who these guys are or how accurate they are. I do know that the Massey and Sagarin rating names are thrown around by other fans a lot so it must mean something.

gotts
September 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Sagarin doesn't have enough data yet to be accurate for this season. Give it another couple weeks before you start using it objectively.

EDIT:
The teams are NOT WELL-CONNECTED and so all three ratings are BAYESIAN

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

When ready, using the "predictor" column combined with home advantage should give you a decent idea of a point spread.

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM
UND thread dominated by NDSU posters. Never would have guessed it.

UNDColorado
September 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Welp, Massey has UND at #16 and Cal Poly at #4. MVFC has top 3 spots which is pretty accurate at this juncture. Probably doesn't meran anything though xintx

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&yr=2012&sub=11605