PDA

View Full Version : 5th year of eligibilty w/ grad skool

trojan5588
July 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
My buddy came up to me and asked me about the NCAA ruling about 5 years of eligibility including one while you are in graduate school. I really didnt know anything about it so if anyone can clarify that with commentary or a article that would be fantastic. Thanks everyone...and i am sorry in advance if this is a re-post of a previous topic.

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Guys who graduate and have a years eligibility remaining may now transfer wherever they want for graduate school and be eligible. That includes another school in the same division.

trojan5588
July 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
thanks for clearing that up

downbythebeach
July 24th, 2006, 11:07 PM
If this is the one I'm thinking, then it has much to do with D-IA players. Someone with that knows NCAA bylaws needs to check this thread out.

July 24th, 2006, 11:45 PM
If this is the one I'm thinking, then it has much to do with D-IA players. Someone with that knows NCAA bylaws needs to check this thread out.It is D-I legislation not limited to I-A.
Proposal Number: 2005-54
Title: ELIGIBILITY — GRADUATE STUDENT OR POSTBACCALAUREATE PARTICIPATION —TRANSFER ELIGIBILITY
Status: Jun 26, 2006 Adopted, Override Period ; End of Override Period

This proposal would allow a student-athlete to enroll in a specific graduate degree program at an institution other than the one from which he or she earned a four-year degree and be immediately eligible for intercollegiate competition, provided the graduate student has remaining eligibility. A student-athlete who earned his or her undergraduate degree has achieved the primary goal of graduation and should be permitted to choose a graduate school that meets both his or her academic and athletics interests, regardless of his or her previous transfer history.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/legislation_and_governance/rules_and_bylaws/legislative_actions_and_issues/override_adopted_0506.pdf

UNH 40
July 25th, 2006, 07:25 AM
If this ever happened I'd be enrolled at UNH for my 5th year the next day.

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM
If this ever happened I'd be enrolled at UNH for my 5th year the next day.

It has happened. Notre Dame kid has enrolled in grad school at Temple, and will play this year.