PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 4.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I was 5-1 this week (the chokejob by ASU being the only blemish). The ASU game was so bad I quit listening during the third quarter. So this is where I have it for this week.

1) The Citadel - Who knew they would be this good?
2) Wofford - Picks up their first conference win against WCU.
3) Samford - Showed Gardner-Webb who the big dogs are.
4) Georgia Southern - Had a vacation from their schedule this week.
5) Appalachian State - Dale Jones had best find a defense or could be forced to find himself a new job.
6) Chattanooga - Welcome back, Terrell Robinson.
7) Elon - Beats up on a nobody.
8) Western Carolina - Showed some good effort against Wofford.
9) Furman - the only team in the SoCon to have yet win a game finds themselves here.

Predictions
Furman @ Presbyterian - Will the Paladins find a way to lose this one too?
Samford @ Western Carolina - Samford remains undefeated for one more week.
The Citadel @ NC State - Sorry Bulldogs, you're not the ETSU team of the mid-80s that took down the Wolfpack.
Elon @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week) - Eagles take out their pent-ups frustrations on Elon.
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga (Upset of the week) - Based on last week's performance, I can see this happening.

StorminASU
September 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I was 5-1 this week (the chokejob by ASU being the only blemish). The ASU game was so bad I quit listening during the third quarter. So this is where I have it for this week.

5) Appalachian State - Dale Jones had best find a defense or could be forced to find himself a new job.
9) Furman - the only team in the SoCon to have yet win a game finds themselves here.

Predictions
The Citadel @ NC State - Sorry Bulldogs, you're not the ETSU team of the mid-80s that took down the Wolfpack.
Elon @ Georgia Southern (Game of the week) - Eagles take out their pent-ups frustrations on Elon.
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga (Upset of the week) - Based on last week's performance, I can see this happening.

Good luck on seeing any changes from Dale Jones: Jerry seems to like to keep the good ol' boys together without repercussions. He was happy with his son running the offense into the ground for years, so why shouldn't the D have some attention now?

Btw, I am in no way meaning to disrespect the Citadel, it wasn't even close today; they were the MUCH better team. I'm just pointing out that I am beyond sick and tired of our coaching woes.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Elon @ GSU is the game of the week? You gotta be kidding me.xnodx

1. Wofford - regardless of whether or not they have played anyone, you have to admit they look good.
2. The Citadel - You a believer yet?
3. Georgia Southern - loss in Chucktown doesn't look so bad now does it?
4. Appalachian State - still a dangerous team with good young talent. Unless the Griz s*** the bed don't think you can dismiss them yet.
5. Samford - Convincing win over Gardner-Webb, don't overlook 'em
6. Chattanooga - still not sold on that offense of theirs
7. Furman - 0-3, but don't be fooled. They can play with anyone in this league and the Samford loss doesn't look as bad now
8. Elon - Don't see anything yet that tells me they can play with the above 7
9. Western - Got what we expected, Western is still last.

Furman - 35
PC - 7

Samford - 31
Western - 10

NC State - 42
The Citadel - 31
The Citadel can at least make NCSU's defense look silly if nothing else.

Georgia Southern -45
Elon - 13
GSU takes out frustrations on an Elon team in over their heads

Appalachian State - 28
UTC - 24
UTC leads the whole game and loses it at the very end.

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Predictions

I would put us behind Wofford at this point, and possibly behind Chatty.

As for the game prediction against the Pack, a better analogy would be to say we aren't The Citadel team of 1992 that took down Arkansas or the 1990 team that beat USC.... except that I do see some things in this team that remind me of the 1992 team. NCSU is underwhelming this year, but they are still middle of the road ACC. That means if we play 20 times, El Cid wins maybe once, but only if we play like we did today.

My guess is NCSU 31 El Cid 21.

If we are within 7 in the fourth I like our chances. I don't think we will sneak up on them since they are a NC school and they know full well what ASU is all about, so their radar is probably already turning.

I will be there with my NCSU grad brother, two high school buddies who went to State, and my Dad who went to UNC and calls them Silo Tech. A win in that company would be sweet as mama's milk.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
1. The Citadel - when was the last time a team beat GSU and App in back to back weekends?
2. Wofford - played splendidly, but have not put together what El Cid has done.
3. GSU - still an unknown.
4. Samford - 3-0 with a big road win.
5. App - Three games in and have been blown out twice. Are we reading too much into their Montana win?
6. Furman - 0-3 but two losses to undefeated FCS teams by a combined 5 points.
7. UTC - unimpressive so far. Chance to change it next weekend.
8. Elon - might be a long season
9 WCU - as per the usual

Furman at PC: 45 - 17

Paladins get off the schnide and put it on the Blue Hose. If this game is even close I will pack up my things and go home.

Samford at WCU: 28-20

Weird things can happen in Cullowhee. Game Samford needs to take care of, but for whatever reason, I think Western makes it a contest.

El Cid at NC State: 45-24

I'll give the Citadel a pass on this one.

Elon at Georgia Southern: 44-17

I don't see the Phoenix being competitive in this one.

App at UTC: 28-24

Game of the week. Both teams playing for a lot. UTC has a monkey on its back and is gearing up for a huge home game against a team they think they should beat. App State is coming off a shellacking and faces the real possibility of being in a 0-2 hole in the SoCon before they even see Wofford or Georgia Southern.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Predictions

I agree with pretty much everything, but I don't know who to pick in the Chattanooga game. I'm going to refrain from ranking the conference teams until about week 5 or 6 because I think everything is still relatively unknown.

Also, trivia question: Who was the Coach of that ETSU team?

Answer: Mike Ayers xcoolx

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
But I will give an evaluation of what I've seen so far out of each team. Disclaimer, I haven't dissected stats and film to have an accurate account on everyone.

The Citadel-They look good so far, no doubt about that, but again I still don't know what we can say about them in relation to years past other than the fact that they have a decent offense. They played great defense against App in the first half and was able to execute offensively and build a big lead. I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but I will say that we all knew the Citadel fields a pretty good defense every year, so it's not surprising that they fielded a defense that was able to compete with the Apps and get stops. So for me, the real question is whether or not their defense is like uber-awesomely-great and is if their triple option offense attack is as potent as GSU or Wofford's offense. And honestly, I don't know what we can say about that just yet, so I'll stay tuned.

Wofford-We haven't beaten any good teams yet, but we've definitely played on a level we should have for the last 3 games. We average roughly 600 offense yards in the last 2 games, which is nothing to frown at, no matter who you're playing. It's definitely an improvement from the norm for us. With that said, they were against a D2 team and Western Carolina (who I think will be improved this year) so we shouldn't jump on some bandwagon. At the same time, I really do think our offense is dangerous especially after tonight. We go at least 2 deep at every position (INCLUDING EB's position) and we probably have more talent at running back than ever before with all of the young talented players we have. Also, we have a pretty good backup QB who looks competent in the system (he had over 100 yards rushing tonight....the backup) when we put him in in the second QB. We could see a 2 QB system. With that said, our defense didn't play too hot in the second half, and to be as conservative as possible, I'm going to say that's the area to look at (other than punting). One could make the case that it was against some backups and we were a cushioning a big lead, etc etc, but I'm going to take the benefit of the doubt.

GSU-an unknown really, they may be a smidge down, but who knows, even if they are down, they're still good enough to win at least 5 or 6 games in conference.

Samford-They're a solid team as well, but I honestly don't much about them beyond that.
App-I think their offense may be a little down, but I can't say that for sure having not watched that much of them play. I still wouldn't underestimate them.

Furman-the best 0-3 team in the country. That sounds dumb, but if you would watch the Clemson game, they move the ball up and down the field but special teams kills them. Their freshman QB is likely the offensive rookie of the year in my opinion. I wouldn't underestimate them and I hope Wofford beats the **** out of them in 3 weeks.

UTC-I can't say anything because they're an unknown to me and to everyone else. They lost a close one to Jax state and lost/won against teams they were expected to.

Elon-Not as bad as people think in my opinion. They can score points. IF they don't turn the ball over. I hope my terriers come prepared off the bye against them.

WCU-still on the bottom, but better. We'll see how the season turns out.

Millwoch
September 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM
But I will give an evaluation of what I've seen so far out of each team. Disclaimer, I haven't dissected stats and film to have an accurate account on everyone.

The Citadel-They look good so far, no doubt about that, but again I still don't know what we can say about them in relation to years past other than the fact that they have a decent offense. They played great defense against App in the first half and was able to execute offensively and build a big lead. I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but I will say that we all knew the Citadel fields a pretty good defense every year, so it's not surprising that they fielded a defense that was able to compete with the Apps and get stops. So for me, the real question is whether or not their defense is like uber-awesomely-great and is if their triple option offense attack is as potent as GSU or Wofford's offense. And honestly, I don't know what we can say about that just yet, so I'll stay tuned.

Wofford-We haven't beaten any good teams yet, but we've definitely played on a level we should have for the last 3 games. We average roughly 600 offense yards in the last 2 games, which is nothing to frown at, no matter who you're playing. It's definitely an improvement from the norm for us. With that said, they were against a D2 team and Western Carolina (who I think will be improved this year) so we shouldn't jump on some bandwagon. At the same time, I really do think our offense is dangerous especially after tonight. We go at least 2 deep at every position (INCLUDING EB's position) and we probably have more talent at running back than ever before with all of the young talented players we have. Also, we have a pretty good backup QB who looks competent in the system (he had over 100 yards rushing tonight....the backup) when we put him in in the second QB. We could see a 2 QB system. With that said, our defense didn't play too hot in the second half, and to be as conservative as possible, I'm going to say that's the area to look at (other than punting). One could make the case that it was against some backups and we were a cushioning a big lead, etc etc, but I'm going to take the benefit of the doubt.

GSU-an unknown really, they may be a smidge down, but who knows, even if they are down, they're still good enough to win at least 5 or 6 games in conference.

Samford-They're a solid team as well, but I honestly don't much about them beyond that.
App-I think their offense may be a little down, but I can't say that for sure having not watched that much of them play. I still wouldn't underestimate them.

Furman-the best 0-3 team in the country. That sounds dumb, but if you would watch the Clemson game, they move the ball up and down the field but special teams kills them. Their freshman QB is likely the offensive rookie of the year in my opinion. I wouldn't underestimate them and I hope Wofford beats the **** out of them in 3 weeks.

UTC-I can't say anything because they're an unknown to me and to everyone else. They lost a close one to Jax state and lost/won against teams they were expected to.

Elon-Not as bad as people think in my opinion. They can score points. IF they don't turn the ball over. I hope my terriers come prepared off the bye against them.

WCU-still on the bottom, but better. We'll see how the season turns out.

The Citadel offense is better than their defense IMO. I am shocked they controlled the line of scrimmage against Appy with citadel's best d-lineman on bench with knee injury. Citadel offense is as good as GSU and possibly woffy but I think woffy throws the ball better than the other two, which is a huge advantage. Citadel threw ball today best since going to TO. We'll see if that continues. Appy was not prepared for us today. Our game plan was perfect. Tell the other socon teams we are terrible and there is no need to gameplan either. With that said I think woffy is best team in socon and has shot at NC this year. Beat furman for me. The others will sort themselves out and with 2-0 start for el CID we will be up there near the top.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I guess this goes without saying, but I'm a bit biased, IF GSU get's the offense together like I think we can we will be very, very good. That's a HUGE if. As of now I'd rank it...
1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. GSU
4. App
5. Samford
6. Chatt
7. Furman
8. Western
9. Elon

While Wofford hasn't played anyone, their numbers are still impressive. I know Ayers coaches a tight ship up there and as of late has had a top 10 if not top 5 team in the nation. A lot of unanswered questions for both GSU and App. It seems that El Cid has been up and down a bit, because (I'm biased, yes) they didn't look spectacular against GSU, but it's also hard to judge two TO teams against each other. Then the rest is a toss up. I believe Samford is a quality team, but overlooking anyone from 5(6)-9 in my list would be a huge mistake. This should be a very interesting year in the SoCon. While I don't think Western or Elon will give anyone fits, Chatt, Furman and Samford should give the big 3 (or 4?) a good run for their money.

jim121256
September 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Well... yesterday makes me feel a little better about last week. I think it's too early to make any real solid predictions on GSU. We knew going in that we were inexperienced at quarterback, but had tremendous athletes. The Citadel game featured two Citadel TDs off GSU fumbles in the first quarter. I'm not whining... the better team won that day for sure. I think at this point we have to call Citadel the early favorite. Question for those of you who have been paying more attention that I have for longer than I have: when was the last time somebody in the conference knocked of GSU and ASU on consecutive Saturdays? I bet it hasn't happened very many times.

Congrats to Citadel. Now let's see how it all plays out before my friends in Boone and Statesboro go into a complete depression.

Saint3333
September 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
It has never happened. Citadel has never beaten both in the same year before 2012.

Last time any team beat both in the same year, Wofford 2003 and 2002. Furman did it in 1996. Marshall did it in 1996 and 1993. Those are the only times it has occurred. I was surprised by Furman and Marshall's records would have taken the over.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Well... yesterday makes me feel a little better about last week. I think it's too early to make any real solid predictions on GSU. We knew going in that we were inexperienced at quarterback, but had tremendous athletes. The Citadel game featured two Citadel TDs off GSU fumbles in the first quarter. I'm not whining... the better team won that day for sure. I think at this point we have to call Citadel the early favorite. Question for those of you who have been paying more attention that I have for longer than I have: when was the last time somebody in the conference knocked of GSU and ASU on consecutive Saturdays? I bet it hasn't happened very many times.

Congrats to Citadel. Now let's see how it all plays out before my friends in Boone and Statesboro go into a complete depression.

The question is not, really, whether the Citadel is the favorite. There are probably many who think El Cid is playing above their heads right now. The real issue is that El Cid now has the inside track to the auto bid.

This is simplifying it, but GSU and App State cannot both finish the season with one conference loss (both lost to Citadel and one will lose to the other). That means, the loser of App State/Georgia Southern (provided they do not lose another single conference game) will have to rely on the Citadel losing three more times in the conference to jump them (if both have two loss records, the Citadel jumps ahead due to beating them). Both ASU and GSU have all of the sudden become huge UTC, Furman, and Wofford fans.

I may have this wrong, particularly this early in the season, but right now you are looking at the extremely real possibility that the loser of App/GSU (if they play perfectly here on out) can finish no better than third in the conference.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
It has never happened. Citadel has never beaten both in the same year before 2012.

Last time any team beat both in the same year, Wofford 2003 and 2002. Furman did it in 1996. Marshall did it in 1996 and 1993. Those are the only times it has occurred. I was surprised by Furman and Marshall's records would have taken the over.

I imagined as much. My thought was the only teams that could have done it were Furman or Marshall, and I know Furman rarely, if ever, played GSU and App in back to back weekends.

CID1990
September 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM

That's not correct. In 2003 our SoCon wins were ASU, GSU, Elon and Furman. We were 6-6 that season.

ElonPride
September 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Not sure if anyone realized this, but Swepson was hospitalized with chest pains on Friday, and missed the game yesterday. I haven't read anything about his release, but hopefully the guy is doing fine.

This could play into GSUs favor if Sweps is on bed rest and missing practice this week.

OL FU
September 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Not sure who should be on top, Wofford or The Citadel but would lean toward the Bulldogs because of who they have beaten. Regardless, even though The Citadel is a rival, good to see one of the old timers taking down the newer additions and/or short timers which ever the case may be.xsmiley_wix

jpincince
September 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Anyone have information on whether Elon @ GSU will be online?

dystopiamembrane
September 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
1. Citadel
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Appalachian State
6. Chattanooga
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Appalachian State 21-27 Chattanooga
Citadel 20-31 North Carolina State
Elon 13-35 Georgia Southern
Furman 35-28 Presbyterian
Samford 37-27 Western Carolina

eaglewraith
September 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Anyone have information on whether Elon @ GSU will be online?

Will be available on our website www.gseagles.com for free.

Will be our radio announcers though, so expect homer announcers.

fc97
September 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
swepson reported to be back wednesday but still in the air

strange that elon is benching the starters at halftime the last two games

massey says, 4 basic tiers right now
1) the citadel
2) gsu
3) wofford

4) samford
5) app
6) utc

7) furman
8) elon

9) wcu

theasushow
September 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
swepson reported to be back wednesday but still in the air

strange that elon is benching the starters at halftime the last two games

massey says, 4 basic tiers right now
1) the citadel
2) gsu
3) wofford

4) samford
5) app
6) utc

7) furman
8) elon

9) wcu

8) western

not sure I understand.

fc97
September 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
not sure I understand.

bad edit on the phone. 4 groupings of teams basically ranked together in the massey ratings; or the part about swepson

SU DOG
September 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hate to say it, BUT if the Samford defense doesn't improve over what we did yesterday, then we are ranked way too far up the SoCon ladder. Giving up that much yardage has me worried about going into Cullowhee next week to face a hungry and, IMO, very much improved Western Carolina.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 12:10 PM
The question is not, really, whether the Citadel is the favorite. There are probably many who think El Cid is playing above their heads right now. The real issue is that El Cid now has the inside track to the auto bid.

This is simplifying it, but GSU and App State cannot both finish the season with one conference loss (both lost to Citadel and one will lose to the other). That means, the loser of App State/Georgia Southern (provided they do not lose another single conference game) will have to rely on the Citadel losing three more times in the conference to jump them (if both have two loss records, the Citadel jumps ahead due to beating them). Both ASU and GSU have all of the sudden become huge UTC, Furman, and Wofford fans.

I may have this wrong, particularly this early in the season, but right now you are looking at the extremely real possibility that the loser of App/GSU (if they play perfectly here on out) can finish no better than third in the conference.

yeah, GSU and App have painted themselves into a corner somewhat. They can't lose 2 more conference games and they have yet to play each other, Wofford, Chattanooga, and furman.

catamount man
September 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hate to say it, BUT if the Samford defense doesn't improve over what we did yesterday, then we are ranked way too far up the SoCon ladder. Giving up that much yardage has me worried about going into Cullowhee next week to face a hungry and, IMO, very much improved Western Carolina.

I certainly hope so. LOL! Nah, we need a SoCon win bad. 2nd quarter has been our achilles heel these last 2 road games. Weather is scheduled for sunny for a high of 73 and only 10% chance of rain. Hope you bring a crowd! GO CATS!
We

catamount man
September 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
madhatterCAT's SoCon power rankings:

1) Citadel - no doubt, best team in the league at this time
2) Wofford - thank God EB is gone after 2012
3) Samford - so hoping WCU finally gets this bunch
4) Georgia Southern - they will shred Elon, pissed off bunch
5) Chattanooga - they remember 2011, gonna be ready for App
6) App State - may have shot their wad with Montana, if they lose to UTC expect heat on Jerry Moore to increase
7) Furman - moved the ball on Clemson, couldn't stop that offense though
8) WCU - offense can and does move the ball, defense still needing work
9) Elon - Western beat WV State by 70 back in 2004. HA!

9/22 predictions
GSU 63, Elon 16
WCU 44, Samford 34
App 23 UTC 21
Furman 52 fighting John Calvins 10
Citadel 24 NC State 20 (yep, calling it right now!)
Wofford - open date

ElonFirefighter
September 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Not sure if anyone realized this, but Swepson was hospitalized with chest pains on Friday, and missed the game yesterday. I haven't read anything about his release, but hopefully the guy is doing fine.

This could play into GSUs favor if Sweps is on bed rest and missing practice this week.

Still under observations last I heard

ElCid
September 16th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Wow. Possible, but I think not yet. So far I think the Dogs' success has been a combination of playing fairly well, some better than usual coaching, making little or no mistakes, taking advantage of opponents mistakes, and getting some lucky breaks, but the stars would have to align well for that to happen. I do hope you are correct though!

CID1990
September 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
We aren't sneaking up on State, either. Their fan boards are twittering about the win in Boone. They have their Seantaylors to be sure, but their coaching staff is paid to pay attention.

catamount man
September 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Wow. Possible, but I think not yet. So far I think the Dogs' success has been a combination of playing fairly well, some better than usual coaching, making little or no mistakes, taking advantage of opponents mistakes, and getting some lucky breaks, but the stars would have to align well for that to happen. I do hope you are correct though!

I think you'll do it and will be hoping you do.xthumbsupx

GO CATS!

ElCid
September 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
1) The Citadel - I am a believer. I would have moved them up to #3 had it been a close loss at ASU or to #2 had they simply won; but they are now #1 this week due to how they won
2) Wofford - while they look very good, their schedule to date places them barely behind Cid
3) Georgia Southern - still dangerous as ever regardless of last week
4) Samford - Good solid team with light schedule to date, but winning
5) Appalachian State - has the talent but apparently they are not all together
6) Chattanooga - I still think they have been slightly overrated; this week should tell all
7) Furman - I almost want to put them at #6 after watching the Clemson game, even at 0-3; they should rise in the coming weeks
8) Elon - lucky they have Western Carolina at home
9) Western Carolina - doing better but still on bottom

So far this year I am 18-4. My only losses coming from picking Furman twice and not having enough faith in my Bulldog, twice.

Predictions
Furman at Presbyterian - Furman finally gets one in the win column, 41-16
Samford at Western Carolina - Western at home & hungry makes it close early, but not enough, 35-24
The Citadel at NC State - Dogs may be good, but depth of NC State will be a little bit too much, Dogs can hold the ball for long drives, but Wolfpack maul Dogs secondary with pass attack for quick strikes, 35 - 20
Elon at Georgia Southern - I really would not want to be Elon this week, 48-21
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - It was like last week never happened, 35-24

Smitty
September 17th, 2012, 05:30 AM
1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Georgia Southern
4) Samford
5) Appalachian State
6) Chattanooga
7) Furman
8) Elon
8) Western Carolina

Predictions
Furman at Presbyterian
Samford at Western Carolina
The Citadel at NC State
Elon at Georgia Southern
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - Ugh I hope App pulls this one off, I don't want to hear Chattown talk about this single game for another year...

Go Apps
September 17th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Based on what I saw Saturday - ASU has a lot more losses coming!

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM

I do not think we will see App State have a repeat performance like this for quite sometime. However, it does suggest that App State no longer is the biggest kid on the block like they were in the mid to late 2000s. It is hard to imagine those ASU teams getting beat like the Mountaineers did on Saturday.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM

I agree with you. I did not see one positive to take away from Saturday and based on recent years, I have no reason to believe much will change in one week. Our coaching staff, even with new blood, just can't get it together.

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I agree with you. I did not see one positive to take away from Saturday and based on recent years, I have no reason to believe much will change in one week. Our coaching staff, even with new blood, just can't get it together.

One positive: we now have a ton of game film on how NOT to defend the triple option. Things will get real ugly in Statesboro and when Wofford comes to town if we don't get it together.

cannonballgsu
September 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM

No one wants to win like that. Hope he gets better soon.

PhoenixSupreme
September 17th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Is it me, or does it seem like Elon plays Georgia Southern the week after GaSo loses, every year?

*looks up past schedules* Nope just me :P

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
1) Wofford - Still very untested but they have the best back in the league and are rolling offensively.
2) The Citadel - Incredible performance on Saturday, they will be a tough out for any team in the SoCon.
3) Georgia Southern - That 2-point loss at The Citadel is not looking nearly as bad now. A very talented team that should be right there at the end.
4) Samford - Can't argue with 3-0. After WCU this weekend, they have a brutal 3-week stretch that should tell us a lot.
5) Appalachian State - Worst home performance I have seen in a decade plus of watching App football. Will be in trouble this weekend if they don't regroup quick.
6) Chattanooga - Honestly, may have put them above App after Saturday's performance but without a DI win they are at 6, for now. Huge game for both teams coming up.
7) Furman - Tough start for the Paladins but with 2 very winnable games on tap, they need to get on track before Wofford.
8) Elon - After taking care of business against lesser competition, a trip to Statesboro could knock them back to reality.
9) Western Carolina - An improving team but not quite there yet. Big opportunity at home this weekend but the Dogs may be too much.

Furman @ Presbyterian
Samford @ Western Carolina
The Citadel @ NC State
Elon @ Georgia Southern
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga

The ASU/UTC game is a toss-up for me. I'm going with my heart and hoping that the Mountaineers are humbled and hungry after being embarrassed by The Citadel. However, if they play anything like they did on Saturday, this one could get ugly.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM
One positive: we now have a ton of game film on how NOT to defend the triple option. Things will get real ugly in Statesboro and when Wofford comes to town if we don't get it together.

You aren't playing. The whole rest of the season could get ugly if we don't get it together better than Saturday.

SpeedkingATL
September 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
1a) Wofford
1b) The Citadel
3) Georgia Southern
4) Samford
5) Appalachian State
6) Chattanooga
7) Furman
8) Elon
8) Western Carolina

Furman at Presbyterian - Furple wins 41-14
Samford at Western Carolina - Sammy wins a close one 28-24
The Citadel at NC State - Bellhops scare Pack but fall 31-28
Elon at Georgia Southern - GaSo shows no mercy in 48-10 beatdown
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - Chatty misses chip shot fieldgoal at the buzzer to lose 21-20 thanks to a missed extra point and 5 turnovers.

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
You aren't playing. The whole rest of the season could get ugly if we don't get it together better than Saturday.

Yeah, I would not be surprised to see all our future opponents incorporate some option plays into their offense when they face us. Complete lack of discipline.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I would not be surprised to see all our future opponents incorporate some option plays into their offense when they face us. Complete lack of discipline.

Haha, that would be a real smack in the face. The thing is, we're so bad at adjusting (coaches) and our secondary has been giving up big plays (why is Blalock out there?), if a team did as you said and learned 3-4 option plays, they would probably be huge gainers for them. Our defensive coach would probably just be in awe as Chatty lined up in the wishbone. Dales Jones. SMH.

SU DOG
September 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I have absolutely NO idea about the rankings yet. Nobody really knows at this point how this thing will shake out.

FU @ Presby - Paladins by a bunch.

Samford @ Western - Catamounts have improved. The coaching this year is much better. Their good young talent will make this, at home, a real cats & dogs fight. The Samford defense has been a little bit too porous, but Dogs win in a game much too close for my comfort.

The Citadel @ NC State - The other Bulldogs are the pride of the SoCon right now, but the Wolfpack will have too much "PACK". Lightning can strike twice, but not 3 times - hope I'm wrong.

Elon @ GSU - GSU will win, but not by the margin that many think. GSU may need more than 2 weeks to correct things.

ASU @ UTC - I'm picking the Mocs. Their close loss at JSU is not really the indictment that it's being made out to be.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised no one has made the prediction that Wofford will beat bye by 100 against additional inferior competition.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm surprised no one has made the prediction that Wofford will beat bye by 100 against additional inferior competition.

Bye might be the toughest opponent Wofford has faced this season :)

UCMoc
September 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately I'm not sold on that one. It may come down to the kicking game.:D

Eaglegus2
September 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Could we be witnessing a possible changing of the Top 4 in the SoCon?

Wofford is the best of the previous occupants. But, we are witnessing the rise of The Cadets as possible occupiers. How good is Samford? No one really knows until weeks 5 - 7. How about GSU? Everyone seems to think the loss to The Citadel was a flute because of two fumbles. WELL!!! The fumbles were forced and their offense capitalized by putting points on the board.

Furman - they are surprising some by not winning a game up to now.

Elon - back to being Elon after experiencing a few good years. Chattanooga - I thought the Mocs would improve enough to move up in the conference.

The next 4 weeks will signal whether there is really a shift in power in the SoCon. GSU & App State had better get their game in order. If not, when was the last time neither of these teams made the playoffs?

I just wanted to put a few questions out there.

At this timw, here how I feel the rankings of the conference stand:

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. Samford
4. Georgia Southern
5. App State
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Western Carolina

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Wofford is the best of the previous occupants. But, we are witnessing the rise of The Cadets as possible occupiers. How good is Samford? No one really knows until weeks 5 - 7. How about GSU? Everyone seems to think the loss to The Citadel was a flute because of two fumbles. WELL!!! The fumbles were forced and their offense capitalized by putting points on the board.

Elon - back to being Elon after experiencing a few good years. Chattanooga - I thought the Mocs would improve enough to move up in the conference.

The next 4 weeks will signal whether there is really a shift in power in the SoCon. GSU & App State had better get their game in order. If not, when was the last time neither of these teams made the playoffs?

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. Samford
4. Georgia Southern
5. App State
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Western Carolina

I think Chatty is better than 6th place right now. We'll know more this weekend.

asucrutch23
September 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. Samford
4. Georgia Southern
5. App State
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Western Carolina

I mean I know Furman is 0-3 but don't you think it's a little harsh to leave them out of the rankings completely? :D

asucrutch23
September 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Here's my stab:

1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. Georgia Southern
4. Samford
5. Appalachian State
6. Furman
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Furman at Presbyterian
Samford at Western Carolina
The Citadel at NC State
Elon at Georgia Southern
Appalachian State at Chattanooga

Not going out on any limbs this week, although some may say a win for ASU is going out on a limb, but I'm hoping that reality check we just got from the Bulldogs sparks a fire in our boys that the coaching staff cannot seem to provide. That and Chattanooga's recent propensity for blowing games late equals an ASU win (hopefully).

fc97
September 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
elon, furman and western may be at the bottom but the bottom is nowhere like it was 5-8 years ago. the teams in the middle and bottom are much better than the were in the big 3 dominated socon. even with bad teams, there are no gimme wins anymore.

Eaglegus2
September 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I mean I know Furman is 0-3 but don't you think it's a little harsh to leave them out of the rankings completely? :D

Sorry about that!! :D

Insert Furman between Chattanooga & Elon.

Like I said before the next 4 weeks will determine who the real players are in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
elon, furman and western may be at the bottom but the bottom is nowhere like it was 5-8 years ago. the teams in the middle and bottom are much better than the were in the big 3 dominated socon. even with bad teams, there are no gimme wins anymore.

I'm not certain that any of the teams are currently better than the big three were in their heyday, but the depth of the conference is astounding.

In the early to mid-2000s, Furman had to show up twice a season. Now every game they play is a toss up.

Apphole
September 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm not certain that any of the teams are currently better than the big three were in their heyday, but the depth of the conference is astounding.

In the early to mid-2000s, Furman had to show up twice a season. Now every game they play is a toss up.

I wish I had one of those Men in Black red flash memory eraser things. I'd use it on the players to make them forget the championships, how bad teams like the Citadel USED to be and big wins the week before like the Montana win. I hope the *** whooping we got on Saturday was the early season kick in the balls we need to straighten up and compete EVERY WEEK for the rest of the season. How we perform at Chatty will tell me if Moore and Jones need to be replaced.

cbarrier90
September 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Haha, that would be a real smack in the face. The thing is, we're so bad at adjusting (coaches) and our secondary has been giving up big plays (why is Blalock out there?), if a team did as you said and learned 3-4 option plays, they would probably be huge gainers for them. Our defensive coach would probably just be in awe as Chatty lined up in the wishbone. Dales Jones. SMH.

Blalock is out there because an already weak secondary has been depleted by injuries and suspensions.

Rebuilding happens. LOL at calling for Jerry's head. Week 2 we're all singing praises and drinking Kool-Aid and now we need to revamp the coaching staff we just revamped.

This is why you stay off AppFan and MMB after losses, kids...

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Blalock is out there because an already weak secondary has been depleted by injuries and suspensions.

Rebuilding happens. LOL at calling for Jerry's head. Week 2 we're all singing praises and drinking Kool-Aid and now we need to revamp the coaching staff we just revamped.

I do hope Blalock has made his last start at free safety now that Lott is returning. As much as I like his heart, Blalock just does not have the speed to contain the edges.

All I can hope for is that after a humbling loss and the expected returns of Jamill Lott, Sean Price, Rodger Walker and Rod Chisholm, we get our act together and quickly. I am not calling for Jerry's head but this was the most embarrassing lack of preparation I have seen from an App team. They looked like they spent the week patting themselves on the back instead of getting ready to play. More discouraging was the fact that with the exception of Steven Miller and Jeremy Kimbrough, most of the team looked ready to take their ball and go home by halftime. Another performance like this and I will agree that some big changes need to come after the season. In the meantime, I will continue to show up and support my team regardless of how the season plays out.

Apphole
September 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Appfan is a bunch of lunatics. MMB is reputable, as always. Not too many that are already calling for Jerry's head over there. Stormin is on AGS, MMB and Appfan.

Apphole
September 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I do hope Blalock has made his last start at free safety now that Lott is returning. As much as I like his heart, Blalock just does not have the speed to contain the edges.

All I can hope for is that after a humbling loss and the expected returns of Jamill Lott, Sean Price, Rodger Walker and Rod Chisholm, we get our act together and quickly. I am not calling for Jerry's head but this was the most embarrassing lack of preparation I have seen from an App team. They looked like they spent the week patting themselves on the back instead of getting ready to play. More discouraging was the fact that with the exception of Steven Miller and Jeremy Kimbrough, most of the team looked ready to take their ball and go home by halftime. Another performance like this and I will agree that some big changes need to come after the season. In the meantime, I will continue to show up and support my team regardless of how the season plays out.

Jamal looked fired up after half time. To me, Troy Sanders looked like the only defender we had that had ever seen the option before. He knew exactly what was coming in certain situations and blew up many plays in the backfield. Too bad the other 10 looked like Helen Keller out there and it didn't help us from getting our d1cks kicked in. I don't think I'll ever get over this loss.

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Jamal looked fired up after half time. To me, Troy Sanders looked like the only defender we had that had ever seen the option before. He knew exactly what was coming in certain situations and blew up many plays in the backfield. Too bad the other 10 looked like Helen Keller out there and it didn't help us from getting our d1cks kicked in. I don't think I'll ever get over this loss.

Sanders and Grier, as always, were pretty solid but Kimbrough was the lone defensive player who really stood out to me. Hard to take many positives at all, since all the good things we did on both sides of the ball came after The Citadel starters were sipping cocktails on the sidelines. Embarrassing effort all around.

Cannot place the blame on any one player for a loss like this but Blalock was getting picked on all day. Every run that went to his side was a huge gain. Even when he got an angle, he could not make the play. If Walker can come back at corner and Lott gets the start at safety, it will be a start but the biggest concern is how the team handles it mentally. Is their confidence shaken or are they just angry now? We better hope for the latter but we'll find out on Saturday.

kdinva
September 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Furman 31 @ Presbyterian 15
Samford 27 @ Western Carolina 14
The Citadel 21 @ NC State 34
Elon 13 @ Georgia Southern 35
Appalachian State 28 @ [B]Chattanooga 27.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Appfan is a bunch of lunatics. MMB is reputable, as always. Not too many that are already calling for Jerry's head over there. Stormin is on AGS, MMB and Appfan.

That's all you can hope for I suppose. The staff needs to rev up some playcalling too it seems.

Apphole, what did I do to be singled out here?

Apphole
September 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM
That's all you can hope for I suppose. The staff needs to rev up some playcalling too it seems.

He was talking about you calling for coaching changes. Not judging, just pointed out that that's a much more popular opinion on Appfan and its' something you have in fact lobbied for on all major forums. It's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Where did I call for Jerry's head specifically? I have demanded consistency at least, that's all. If Jerry can't deliver that (over the past five years, it's been a roller coaster, but before then not.) then I would like to get someone who could, but if he can, then let's right the ship and get to it. I don't necessarily demand his head, or I certainly don't expect all undefeated seasons, but I would like the get the same (or an improving) team each time they take the field. Coaches have that power more often than not.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
He was talking about you calling for coaching changes. Not judging, just pointed out that that's a much more popular opinion on Appfan and its' something you have in fact lobbied for on all major forums. It's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

See my post above, but I want someone who can give us consistency, that's all I ever meant to lobby for. I'm sure (can't remember) when I was angrier about Saturday, I could have said he needs to go, but if he can keep these kids inspired, ready to play, and humble, then I certainly don't want to see him go. I didn't know that was such a contentious position, I certainly didn't mean for it to be more than that.

StorminASU
September 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
To be consistent, here is what I wrote on Appfan. I don't think it's too much to ask for and I don't want to be lumped into the "fire coaches" crowd.

"Of course Coach Moore and staff were responsible for the great display against ECU and the huge Montana win. No one said they weren't, that's merely a defense mechanism used by people who don't wish to see Coach Moore scrutinized I believe. What is so concerning is that we can play that well yet be COMPLETELY dominated by a team at home. Yes, yes, I realize they want to win to; I'm not saying we could have won, I'm saying we shouldn't have been down 31-0 in the first half. Our coaches over the past five years have been consistently inconsistent. With the replacements made this year, you have to begin to question the overall leadership, i.e. Coach Moore. The man retained his incompetent son and OL coach on staff at the expense of the program, so why are we all giving him the benefit of a doubt as to his leadership now? Sure, we might win Saturday, but with our teams recently, who know's how we'll show up. I hope we get back on track, my heart will always bleed black and gold, but this roller coaster has left me tired. I want consistency, I don't have crazy aspirations of unbeaten seasons. Someone fix it."

asucrutch23
September 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Appalachian State 28 @ Chattanooga 27.

I see you are familiar with the score that doomed Chattanooga 3 times in 2011. xsmileyclapx

Either that or it's a pretty big coincidence.

I really hope we can come out and win by more than 1, but recent history says it'll be close and Chatty's special teams will blow another one. Let's hope we don't need to be bailed out this time. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Playcalling? I thought the "chessmaster" was back?

Apphole
September 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Playcalling? I thought the "chessmaster" was back?

IMO, the major coaching issue was on the defensive side. Changes were made and we were able to get a little bit going on O in the second half. We never even tried the deep ball and I assume that has something to do with Sean Price's absence.

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
IMO, the major coaching issue was on the defensive side. Changes were made and we were able to get a little bit going on O in the second half. We never even tried the deep ball and I assume that has something to do with Sean Price's absence.

A lot of it is due to The Citadel. When their offense gouged us early and got up 2 touchdowns before my seat was warm, they could afford to play deep and give us the underneath stuff all day. They did just that and we never had many opportunities down the field. A defensive failure like that really limits what you can do offensively.

asucrutch23
September 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
A lot of it is due to The Citadel. When their offense gouged us early and got up 2 touchdowns before my seat was warm, they could afford to play deep and give us the underneath stuff all day. They did just that and we never had many opportunities down the field. A defensive failure like that really limits what you can do offensively.

I agree with this. BUT, 2nd quarter you're down 4 scores you have to take some shots IMO. I know Price was out but we saw Tony Washington go up and get a deep one at ECU. Or why not try to get Sumler to burn a guy on a double move like we tried at ECU? Gotta try something. I tend to watch the ball and not the whole play so I wasn't paying that much attention to The Citadel's defensive scheme but you gotta try something. Run, run, dump pass isn't gonna make a comeback against a ball control team like The Citadel.

asumike83
September 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I agree with this. BUT, 2nd quarter you're down 4 scores you have to take some shots IMO. I know Price was out but we saw Tony Washington go up and get a deep one at ECU. Or why not try to get Sumler to burn a guy on a double move like we tried at ECU? Gotta try something. I tend to watch the ball and not the whole play so I wasn't paying that much attention to The Citadel's defensive scheme but you gotta try something. Run, run, dump pass isn't gonna make a comeback against a ball control team like The Citadel.

No question about it. I didn't mean to let the offensive staff off the hook because there is more than enough blame to go around. I was frustrated by that as well but when there is not even an attempt to play defense, it does make play calling very tough. It is always hard to connect on a deep pass, even more so when the defense knows it is coming. That being said, the conservative approach did almost feel like waiving the white flag very early. Just an overall failure by the players and coaches in all three facets of the game combined with a great performance by our opponent.

fc97
September 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM
best of luck to the citadel this weekend

its hard to beat a fbs opponent, it gets harder the further into the season that you go. unfortunately, i am just not feeling this game for them. im more expecting a 20-30 point loss, and its going to tarnish all that theyve done do far for some people. i hope im wrong.

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
NCSU is going to play vanilla and win by three scores.

BUT. They should avoid the ASU film, and instead focus on the film from last years game with USC. That was as good a performance as the one we had in Boone, and it was against a team that would eat the Pack's lunch.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM

I agree. When you give up 600 yards of offense, it is less about coaching and schemes, and more about getting your butt whipped.

T-Dog
September 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I wrote things this week about El Citadel (lots of anger) and looking toward the trip to Nooga including the saga of the Huesmans and Robinson. I might get yelled at some more for this.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeef/

apaladin
September 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I continued to be impressed with Furman's true freshman QB Reese Hannon. At the half Clemson led 20-7 and Hannon was 12-14 160 yds and a TD and 0 int. Very poised for a frosh. We also started a true freshman at center and have 4 Freshmen and R-Fr on the OL 2 deep. Clemson did not have a sack. Furman is down now but I am not counting them out yet. Thye could at least be a spoiler this year. How many passing yds did Citadel have against ASU Saturday. I heard 5? Is that correct?

1. Woffy
2. Citadel
3. GSU
4. ASU
5. Sammy
6. UTC
7. FU
8. Elon
9. WCU

CID1990
September 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I continued to be impressed with Furman's true freshman QB Reese Hannon. At the half Clemson led 20-7 and Hannon was 12-14 160 yds and a TD and 0 int. Very poised for a frosh. We also started a true freshman at center and have 4 Freshmen and R-Fr on the OL 2 deep. Clemson did not have a sack. Furman is down now but I am not counting them out yet. Thye could at least be a spoiler this year. How many passing yds did Citadel have against ASU Saturday. I heard 5? Is that correct?

1. Woffy
2. Citadel
3. GSU
4. ASU
5. Sammy
6. UTC
7. FU
8. Elon
9. WCU

Yes we had just 5 passing yards and you be sure to pass on to the coaching staff in Traveler's Rest that we are just as one dimensional as ever.

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Dude. C'mon. You need to have the Bulldogs ahead of the Terriers. This is a top 10 FCS team and one of the best in ages.

I guess this goes without saying, but I'm a bit biased, IF GSU get's the offense together like I think we can we will be very, very good. That's a 52 HUGE if. As of now I'd rank it...
1. Wofford
2. The Citadel
3. GSU
4. App
5. Samford
6. Chatt
7. Furman
8. Western
9. Elon

While Wofford hasn't played anyone, their numbers are still impressive. I know Ayers coaches a tight ship up there and as of late has had a top 10 if not top 5 team in the nation. A lot of unanswered questions for both GSU and App. It seems that El Cid has been up and down a bit, because (I'm biased, yes) they didn't look spectacular against GSU, but it's also hard to judge two TO teams against each other. Then the rest is a toss up. I believe Samford is a quality team, but overlooking anyone from 5(6)-9 in my list would be a huge mistake. This should be a very interesting year in the SoCon. While I don't think Western or Elon will give anyone fits, Chatt, Furman and Samford should give the big 3 (or 4?) a good run for their money.

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 01:04 AM
How is losing to an upper crust (behind Va Tech, FSU, and Clemson) ACC team tarnishing the win over App State?

best of luck to the citadel this weekend

its hard to beat a fbs opponent, it gets harder the further into the season that you go. unfortunately, i am just not feeling this game for them. im more expecting a 20-30 point loss, and its going to tarnish all that theyve done do far for some people. i hope im wrong.

CID1990
September 18th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Dude. C'mon. You need to have the Bulldogs ahead of the Terriers. This is a top 10 FCS team and one of the best in ages.

Yes all the further to fall when we ***** the bed against Elon and Furman.

Rankings don't matter; right now the only teams I put us ahead of are GSU and ASU.

fc97
September 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM
How is losing to an upper crust (behind Va Tech, FSU, and Clemson) ACC team tarnishing the win over App State?

it doesnt, you misunderstand what I meant. i was trying to say, look, you are not ranked where you should be. if you guys lose by 3-4 tds, which is entirely possible, its going to hurt this new image people have of you. every new team in the polls has to deal with this as opposed to name brand teams. if samford was 1-2 and lost to ecu and you guys with a win over montana, do you think theyd be ranked?

the chances of an fcs over fbs win drops dramatically the further into the season you go. those teams are pulling it together, have more depth and have more time to review game footage than if it was the first game of the season.

don't take it wrong please, i am hard core pulling for you guys.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM
it doesnt, you misunderstand what I meant. i was trying to say, look, you are not ranked where you should be. if you guys lose by 3-4 tds, which is entirely possible, its going to hurt this new image people have of you. every new team in the polls has to deal with this as opposed to name brand teams. if samford was 1-2 and lost to ecu and you guys with a win over montana, do you think theyd be ranked?

the chances of an fcs over fbs win drops dramatically the further into the season you go. those teams are pulling it together, have more depth and have more time to review game footage than if it was the first game of the season.

don't take it wrong please, i am hard core pulling for you guys.

It has always been my position that FCS teams should not be punished for a loss to an FBS school, even if they lose 60-0. I also don't think you get dropped for having a bye week.

asucrutch23
September 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM
How many passing yds did Citadel have against ASU Saturday. I heard 5? Is that correct?

Not only did they have more than 5 yards passing, they had only 9 less yards through the air than ASU, on 26 less attempts xsmhx

The Citadel averaged 25.8 yards per attempt, while ASU only averaged 5.1.

It was truly a bad, bad day for the black and gold.

CID1990
September 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Not only did they have more than 5 yards passing, they had only 9 less yards through the air than ASU, on 26 less attempts xsmhx

The Citadel averaged 25.8 yards per attempt, while ASU only averaged 5.1.

It was truly a bad, bad day for the black and gold.

Yes Furple should stack the box on us all day long.

It'll be like running wind sprints in practice.

hapapp
September 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
See my post above, but I want someone who can give us consistency, that's all I ever meant to lobby for. I'm sure (can't remember) when I was angrier about Saturday, I could have said he needs to go, but if he can keep these kids inspired, ready to play, and humble, then I certainly don't want to see him go. I didn't know that was such a contentious position, I certainly didn't mean for it to be more than that.

This is a young, inexperienced team depleted further by injuries and suspensions. It's not that hard to understand that you are going to get inconsistent play. That doesn't excuse the poor performance (made even more so by the Citadel impressive one) on Saturday or absolve coaches and players from their approach before and during the game. However, my guess is we aren't done with the inconsistent play.

biggie
September 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
At least we get Price and Lott back this week and Walker has been practicing with the first team as of yesterday coming back from injury. Supposed to be an update about Chisholm later this week, noticed he didn't have a cast that I saw while on the sidelines Saturday.

cannonballgsu
September 18th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Crap. We are going to lose....in NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbg2exiuxaQ&feature=player_embedded

CID1990
September 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Crap. We are going to lose....in NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbg2exiuxaQ&feature=player_embedded

This guy predicted the El Cid win and I wrote him off as being on another planet.

T-Dog
September 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Samford at Western Carolina - 28-10 - Sammie wins comfortably.
Furman at Presbyterian - 42-14 - The Furmies get in the win column
Appalachian State at Chattanooga - 38-20 - Screw you all, we're winning.
The Citadel at NC State - 31-27 - Too much depth in the end for NCSU.
Elon at Georgia Southern - 58-7 - Massacre in Statesboro.

ASU_Fanatic
September 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM
1. Citadel
2. Wofford
3. Georgia Southern
4. App State
5. Samford
6. Chattanooga
7. Furman
8. WCU
9. Elon

Furman 37 @ Presbyterian 21 - Furman finally wins a game
Samford 28 @ Western Carolina 21 - Western keeps it close in front of a home crowd but still isn't there yet
The Citadel 28 @ NC State 31 - Citadel gives NC State everything they have to offer, 'Pack just have too much depth in the fourth
Elon 7 @ Georgia Southern 36 - Elon sucks
Appalachian State 21 @ Chattanooga 14 - I have no idea how this game will play out, but I still think App is just better and they will grind one out and win with a late score on the road.

ASU_Fanatic
September 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM

1) Citadel - no doubt, best team in the league at this time
2) Wofford - thank God EB is gone after 2012
3) Samford - so hoping WCU finally gets this bunch
4) Georgia Southern - they will shred Elon, pissed off bunch
5) Chattanooga - they remember 2011, gonna be ready for App
6) App State - may have shot their wad with Montana, if they lose to UTC expect heat on Jerry Moore to increase
7) Furman - moved the ball on Clemson, couldn't stop that offense though
8) WCU - offense can and does move the ball, defense still needing work

9/22 predictions
GSU 63, Elon 16
WCU 44, Samford 34
App 23 UTC 21
Furman 52 fighting John Calvins 10
Wofford - open date

this man with all the upsets

SCPALADIN
September 18th, 2012, 09:46 PM
1. Citadel
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Appalachian State
6. Chattanooga
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Appalachian State 21-27 Chattanooga
Citadel 20-31 North Carolina State
Elon 13-35 Georgia Southern
Samford 37-27 Western Carolina

Seriously?? Love to hear your reasoning behind this one being so close...aside from some math/computer crap.

CID1990
September 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM
this man with all the upsets

If we hold State to 20 I'll kiss your fanny on King Street during the Easter Parade.

ASU_Fanatic
September 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM
If we hold State to 20 I'll kiss your fanny on King Street during the Easter Parade.

That wasn't my prediction it was madhatter's but ok I'll remind you of this just in case it happens. I'm picking nc state to win

CID1990
September 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
That wasn't my prediction it was madhatter's but ok I'll remind you of this just in case it happens. I'm picking nc state to win

This dumb Tapatalk makes it hard to see quotes sometimes.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Seriously?? Love to hear your reasoning behind this one being so close...aside from some math/computer crap.

I am not taking Presby lightly, as they gave Wofford all they could handle in Clinton last year (I think). I am of the opinion, though, that after five straight losses, and a frustrating start to 2012, if the Paladins don't come out and open up a can on the blue hose then there's something wrong with us. This is a team Furman beat by 41 last season.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Last week, but here are the highlights from Furman's game against Clemson. Score was one sided, but I thought Furman gave a pretty good account of themselves against one of college football's more explosive teams. Provides a good look at quarterback Reece Hannon, and what our ball-control offense is supposed to look like when passes are completed.

Also worth noting - Furman has played 19 freshmen so far in 2012. They started four against Clemson. 2012 may end up a complete rebuilding year, but Fowler is starting to stock the cupboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVa90sB9USs&feature=player_profilepage

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM
i admit gsu is going to beat us, but not in the 50 or 60 points. first, gsu is not unc. second, much worse elon teams have lost to much better gsu teams by less. gsu doesn't have a quick scoring offense, even simple drives are going to kill the clock. last year we lost 41-14, this elon team is nearly the same team.

fc97
September 19th, 2012, 07:13 AM

yeah, so? that was 8 seasons ago. the box score on archive.org for western shows the minutes played by your starters. you're telling me that a 70 point win 8 seasons ago is a measure for how good another team does against someone 8 years later, where all players have graduated two-fold?

lol

cannonballgsu
September 19th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I am not taking Presby lightly, as they gave Wofford all they could handle in Clinton last year (I think). I am of the opinion, though, that after five straight losses, and a frustrating start to 2012, if the Paladins don't come out and open up a can on the blue hose then there's something wrong with us. This is a team Furman beat by 41 last season.

GSU beat Presby 48-14 last year. Unless they are leaps and bounds better, I don't think they will be a problem.

Hell, Furman beat them 62-21 last year.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM
GSU beat Presby 48-14 last year. Unless they are leaps and bounds better, I don't think they will be a problem.

Hell, Furman beat them 62-21 last year.

Perhaps that was the most dominating win for a Paladin team since Jerome Felton scored six touchdowns against Western a few years back.

catamount man
September 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
yeah, so? that was 8 seasons ago. the box score on archive.org for western shows the minutes played by your starters. you're telling me that a 70 point win 8 seasons ago is a measure for how good another team does against someone 8 years later, where all players have graduated two-fold?

lol

Just having a little fun. You'll get all you want and then some from us Oct 20. GO CATS!

longtimemocfan
September 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Elon @ GSU is the game of the week? You gotta be kidding me.xnodx

1. Wofford - regardless of whether or not they have played anyone, you have to admit they look good.
2. The Citadel - You a believer yet?
3. Georgia Southern - loss in Chucktown doesn't look so bad now does it?
4. Appalachian State - still a dangerous team with good young talent. Unless the Griz s*** the bed don't think you can dismiss them yet.
5. Samford - Convincing win over Gardner-Webb, don't overlook 'em
6. Chattanooga - still not sold on that offense of theirs
7. Furman - 0-3, but don't be fooled. They can play with anyone in this league and the Samford loss doesn't look as bad now
8. Elon - Don't see anything yet that tells me they can play with the above 7
9. Western - Got what we expected, Western is still last.

Agree with with the rankings above. I think our offense is a lot better when Huesman is at QB and Robinson lines up at wideout.

Furman -38
PC- 7

Samford-28
WCU- 21

Appy St.- 24
Chattanooga-28

Elon- 17
Ga. Southern-42

The Citadel-21
N.C. State -31

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Agree with with the rankings above. I think our offense is a lot better when Huesman is at QB and Robinson lines up at wideout.

Furman -38
PC- 7

Samford-28
WCU- 21

Appy St.- 24
Chattanooga-28

Elon- 17
Ga. Southern-42

The Citadel-21
N.C. State -31

Don't tell them that. Of course they didn't think much of Robinson either, but no way Huesman could be better.

Reign of Terrier
September 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Considering PC just had itself worked pretty hard against 2 FBS teams, I think they are going to come out swinging against Furman.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Considering PC just had itself worked pretty hard against 2 FBS teams, I think they are going to come out swinging against Furman.

Definitely two teams with something to prove. Like with Coastal, I never like playing in-state Big South teams on the road.

If Furman were 2-0, I'd be more worried. However, at 0-2, the Paladins have ever incentive to push the pedal down. If we can't get up to beat PC like a drum, then we need to fold up the tents and go home.

seantaylor
September 20th, 2012, 12:25 AM
i admit gsu is going to beat us, but not in the 50 or 60 points. first, gsu is not unc. second, much worse elon teams have lost to much better gsu teams by less. gsu doesn't have a quick scoring offense, even simple drives are going to kill the clock. last year we lost 41-14, this elon team is nearly the same team.

You are going to be very surprised. Jaybo Shaw ain't back there no mo. We have a bunch of guys that can take it 80 yards on any play. The offense is the exact opposite from last year. Raw, but very explosive.

jpincince
September 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Swepson back on the field for Elon: http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-59178-coach-returns.html

blueballs
September 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Swepson back on the field for Elon: http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-59178-coach-returns.html

Good to hear...

CID1990
September 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
You are going to be very surprised. Jaybo Shaw ain't back there no mo. We have a bunch of guys that can take it 80 yards on any play. The offense is the exact opposite from last year. Raw, but very explosive.

Yeah they exploded all over the field a couple weeks ago.

blueballs
September 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah they imploded all over the field a couple weeks ago.

FIFY

fc97
September 20th, 2012, 12:54 PM

again, you guys will win. but much worse elon teams have not been beaten by gsu like some of these predictions. it'll be in the 40s maximum. cause even at 80 yards in a play, there is still another team with a descent offense to suck time off the clock couple with your offense that is geared on a ground game that sucks time off a clock. there isn't enough time to run up a score like that.

GlassOnion
September 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM
55-17 GSU puts it all together and runs away with it.

walliver
September 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Power rankings:
I expect the season to end: 1) Wofford , 2) GSU, 3) Citadel, 4) Chatty.
But, going by games played I will rank them as follows:
1) Citadel - they have won the big games so far
2) GSU - The Eagles have frequently lost early season games and then done much better as the season progresses (I expect that this year).
3) Wofford - The offense has been impressive, but the schedule hasn't.
4) Samford - They've gotten the job done so far
5) Chattanooga - good talent, but hasn't gotten it together yet.
6) ASU - coming off a horrible game, they need to regroup. This week's game will test the heart of the team. They should rise in the rankings over the next few weeks.
7) Furman - offense moved the ball well against Clemson, but they need to win to move up
8) Elon - Most of the conference is better this year, Elon isn't
9) WCU - The turnaround will take time.

Furman @ Presbyterian - The ho's are predestined to lose this one. FU 35-14
Samford @ Western Carolina - Sammie by 14
The Citadel @ NC State - Citadel moves the ball, but will be outmanned by the wolfies, NCSU 42, Citadel 28
Elon @ Georgia Southern - GSU offense should be better, and the Igglets are still in national title contention. GSU42, Elon 21
Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - Some teams bounce back from bad losses, some don't. Chatty prevails 35-31.
Wofford vs. Open Date - Terriers rolls over another out-manned team.

seantaylor
September 21st, 2012, 01:13 AM
Elon got absolutely murdered by a terrible UNC team. This one is going to be a blowout from jump.

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Elon got absolutely murdered by a terrible UNC team. This one is going to be a blowout from jump.

elon got murdered by a unc team that could score fast, has a better defense and runs an offense that stops the clock. but then again, much worse teams have faired much better against better gsu teams. remember the game where you guys needed the ref's help to beat us?

like mplsbison, its like you don't read

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM
elon got murdered by a unc team that could score fast, has a better defense and runs an offense that stops the clock. but then again, much worse teams have faired much better against better gsu teams. remember the game where you guys needed the ref's help to beat us?

like mplsbison, its like you don't read

If Elon has a prayer, they have got to figure out how to get Wilson and Malette going. GSU was weak against the pass last season and we've seen really no indication as to whether they have fixed those problems (one easy win backed up by a loss to a team that does not throw).

asumike83
September 21st, 2012, 08:16 AM
If Elon has a prayer, they have got to figure out how to get Wilson and Malette going. GSU was weak against the pass last season and we've seen really no indication as to whether they have fixed those problems (one easy win backed up by a loss to a team that does not throw).

I have no idea how the game will go but Aaron Mellette is going to have a field day unless their pass defense is vastly improved. Best WR in the FCS by far. Unfortunately for the Phoenix, I don't think their defense is going to be able to slow down GSU. I think they will have to pass a lot and we'll see some big numbers from Wilson/Mellette but I don't see GSU starting 0-2 in the SoCon.

Reign of Terrier
September 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM
All of these blowout predictions make me want to pick Elon, simply because IMO Elon is a better team than anyone gives them credit for, they just turn the ball over a lot. I think GSU wins by no more than 2 scores (35-21 maybe?) but it won't surprise me at all if Elon wins this game just because they don't suck as much as some of you guys think, and I think predictions by fans at least to a minor extent reflect the mindset of a team, if only slightly. If it becomes a track meet, I like Elon, if it becomes a game in which the last team with the ball likely wins, I like GSU. Elon is not a team to be overlooked.

blueballs
September 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Mellette had 9 catches for about 120 yards against GSU last year and I see no reason to believe he won't at least duplicate that tomorrow. The key for GSU is to not let him have a game like Hudgins had in '08 when he went for about 240 and MOL did anything he wanted anytime he wanted.

I am interested to see how GSU handles a passing team defensively. GSU lost both starting CB's (Scott was all conference), a free safety (Heyden) who was all conference, and the starting MLB (Rowe). They got back DuBose, who was a force as a pass rusher in 2010 before tearing his knee up. They haven't been really tested in that area yet.

The problem for Elon is slowing down GSU's offense. In the last two meetings GSU has put up 79 points and 970-ish total yards. Unless Elon has improved significantly on defense (which I haven't seen) that isn't likely to change. GSU won by 17 in '10 and by 4 TD's in '11.

GSU by at least 3 scores...

Reign of Terrier
September 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM
Mellette had 9 catches for about 120 yards against GSU last year and I see no reason to believe he won't at least duplicate that tomorrow. The key for GSU is to not let him have a game like Hudgins had in '08 when he went for about 240 and MOL did anything he wanted anytime he wanted.

I am interested to see how GSU handles a passing team defensively. GSU lost both starting CB's (Scott was all conference), a free safety (Heyden) who was all conference, and the starting MLB (Rowe). They got back DuBose, who was a force as a pass rusher in 2010 before tearing his knee up. They haven't been really tested in that area yet.

The problem for Elon is slowing down GSU's offense. In the last two meetings GSU has put up 79 points and 970-ish total yards. Unless Elon has improved significantly on defense (which I haven't seen) that isn't likely to change. GSU won by 17 in '10 and by 4 TD's in '11.

I honestly have a hard time believing it will be that bad of a game given what you said in your first 2 paragraphs.

fc97
September 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM

i can agree by 3 scores. what i refuse to believe is that you guys will score nearly as much or more than unc; which is what some people are calling for.

blueballs
September 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
i can agree by 3 scores. what i refuse to believe is that you guys will score nearly as much or more than unc; which is what some people are calling for.

I don't see that happening either...

GATA
September 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
I don't see that happening either...

I see it. GSU scores 50+ in this one.

cannonballgsu
September 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
I see it. GSU scores 50+ in this one.

In the first quarter.

On one play.

citdog
September 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
In the first quarter.

On one play.

i guess that slice of humble pie served up in Charleston didn't take.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM

Did you see how good their offense looked against Jacksonville?

citdog
September 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
Did you see how good their offense looked against Jacksonville?

i know this.....EVERY time they didn't hand the ball off to Swope they did us a favor. Closet thing to Everette Sands I have seen in the socon since your Felton.

cannonballgsu
September 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM

I guess you can't catch sarcasm.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2012, 02:18 PM
i know this.....EVERY time they didn't hand the ball off to Swope they did us a favor. Closet thing to Everette Sands I have seen in the socon since your Felton.

I always appreciated how little Furman cared that the defense knew what they were doing. Felton's six touchdowns necessitated the quote that is attached to my signature. Everyone in the stadium knew what play was coming.

If Georgia Southern wants to let someone less talented handle the football, by all means let them.

FUGameBreaker
September 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrDPjpfMs2M&feature=player_embedded

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
I'll say it again...don't fall for the trap of judging GSU and El Cid's offenses by that game from two weeks ago. When you are up against an offense that you practice against all the time, you aren't going to have a lot of trouble slowing the other team down. Last year El Cid defended our offense better than anyone we played, including Alabama and North Dakota State. In 2010 when we played Navy both defenses made the offenses look a lot worse than they really were.

IMO, any FCS team that loses to any FBS team by 60 is going to struggle in the top conferences. When you consider how much trouble Elon has had defending our offense (48 last year, 38 in 2010) I don't see how this won't be an ugly game. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

seantaylor
September 21st, 2012, 11:45 PM
And GSU dominated that game statistically. It was a game GSU should have won. Thems the breaks sometimes.

utcfan
September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
The TO is certainly difficult to prepare for as your offense can not execute at anywhere near the level GSU, etc.. will Georgia made a great decision in playing GSU the week before GT. They will get to play 4 quarter against basically the same offense executed at a high level. GSU should ask for more money in these situations as UGA needs the game as much as GSU needs the pay day!

Yes, I am assuming a UGA win, and I do not mean this as trash talk about GSU. I just think it is good scheduling on UGA part, and a possible chance for the Eagles each year to demand a little more money for the chance to play against the GT type offensive scheme that would be hard to replicate any other way.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
And GSU dominated that game statistically. It was a game GSU should have won. Thems the breaks sometimes.

You dominated the game in screw ups and mistakes and that why you lost.

Playing fundamentals is as important as talent and coaching.

I kind of like the whiny crybaby version of Seantaylor vs the arrogant crass homer version. Keep it up!

23-21

cbarrier90
September 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Last year El Cid defended our offense better than anyone we played, including Alabama and North Dakota State.

Wut? xlolx

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Wut? xlolx

He left one out....