http://www.fansmanship.com/wp-content/gallery/cp_wyo-1st-half/1-img_3011.jpg

bobcathpdevil56
September 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Wow BSC is doing pretty well against FBS this year

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hoax.

Right up there with the moon landings.

Every single person in the stands was in on it, too.

dbackjon
September 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Cowboys couldn't tame the Mustangs!

Go Bison
September 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Way to go Cal Poly!

malibudude
September 15th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cowboys couldn't tame the Mustangs!

and they got to prep for Flagstaffs altitude;)

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
What high school were you guys playing at? Seems like a rather 'open' stadium...

MTfan4life
September 15th, 2012, 08:46 PM
What high school were you guys playing at? Seems like a rather 'open' stadium...

This is a pretty big high school field. It's pretty similar to the Rock. Seats 30,000.

ExpandSpanos
September 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
This high school stadium:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6466160837_5c6dc5068e_b.jpg

How did JMU do vs. West Virginia today?

BlueHenSinfonian
September 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM
So some of the Great West holdouts really can play football, who knew? CP will make it into my poll this week for sure.

ExpandSpanos
September 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
So some of the Great West holdouts really can play football, who knew? CP will make it into my poll this week for sure.

The Big West was always a good (albeit small) conference. We never got an auto-bid though, so we never got the credit we deserved.

bojeta
September 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
The Big West was always a good (albeit small) conference. We never got an auto-bid though, so we never got the credit we deserved.

I know you meant "Great West", and I could not agree more.

ExpandSpanos
September 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
My bad. ;)

http://www.fansmanship.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1-IMG_3537.jpg

http://www.fansmanship.com

BlueHenSinfonian
September 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM

The lack of the autobid probably has a lot to do with it. Also, at least from an East Coast perspective, CA has never struck me as having much of a college football culture. Outside of USC (and they are just a shadow of their former selves) and occasionally Cal and UCLA, CA doesn't seem to represent well in the college football world, especially for the most populous state.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2012, 10:17 PM
The lack of the autobid probably has a lot to do with it. Also, at least from an East Coast perspective, CA has never struck me as having much of a college football culture. Outside of USC (and they are just a shadow of their former selves) and occasionally Cal and UCLA, CA doesn't seem to represent well in the college football world, especially for the most populous state.

Like New York?

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Congrats Cal Poly

darell1976
September 15th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Great job Cal Poly!!! See you guys on the 29th!

HailSzczur
September 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Congrats Cal Poly! Always love to see a see an FBS team fall, no matter who it is.

bojeta
September 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM

You mean #2 USC, #21 Stanford, and #22 UCLA aren't representing well? I don't think USC could beat Alabama, Oregon or LSU this year, but they are hardly poor representatives of college football.

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Like New York?

xlolxxlolx You, sir, are on a roll tonight!

cpalum
September 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Still buzzing on this one. Cal Poly 2-0 and getting ready to play UC Davis in their fist Big Sky game..

Go Poly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJOM
September 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Nice job Cal Poly

CopperCat
September 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Poly ran for 325 yards in this game. That's akin to what the Air Force Academy is doing, pretty crazy! Out gained Wyoming, and held them to 2/12 on third down. That's has you win football games. Pound the rock and play good defense. Nice win!

Squealofthepig
September 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM
If the Mustangs can hold serve at home and win just one of five games on the road (UND, Weber, Sac State, EWU, NAU) they're a playoff team, especially with neither Montana team on their schedule (and I'm not sure who's happiest about Cal Poly not playing either MT team - Cal Poly, Montana or MSU).

coover
September 16th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Still buzzing on this one. Cal Poly 2-0 and getting ready to play UC Davis in their fist Big Sky game..

Go Poly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "fist Big Sky game" -- are you suggesting, sir, that there will be fisticuffs between the two opposing sides?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 16th, 2012, 01:41 AM
"fist Big Sky game" -- are you suggesting, sir, that there will be fisticuffs between the two opposing sides?

I know Sac likes to call Davis the "Farm Extension," but if they're into fisting, I don't wanna know. xsmhx xnonox

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2012, 02:45 AM
You mean #2 USC, #21 Stanford, and #22 UCLA aren't representing well? I don't think USC could beat Alabama, Oregon or LSU this year, but they are hardly poor representatives of college football.

I think it's more a question of how the fans rally - if you look at states like, say, Texas, you see a different football culture than you do in Cali. That's not a knock at all, just saying that FBS and FCS football is not commensurate with California's population compared to other states. North Dakota is a great counter-example - a relatively small state with a bunch of rabid NDSU (and even UND) fans.

Regardless, a great win for the Mustangs, and as I said elsewhere, Cal Poly has a very good road to the playoffs and an FCS scalp - no reason to do anything but applaud today's win.

malibudude
September 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think it's more a question of how the fans rally - if you look at states like, say, Texas, you see a different football culture than you do in Cali. That's not a knock at all, just saying that FBS and FCS football is not commensurate with California's population compared to other states. North Dakota is a great counter-example - a relatively small state with a bunch of rabid NDSU (and even UND) fans.

Regardless, a great win for the Mustangs, and as I said elsewhere, Cal Poly has a very good road to the playoffs and an FCS scalp - no reason to do anything but applaud today's win.

There exist other entertainment options in the Golden State.

bojeta
September 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM

No argument with that. We do have the most diverse population in the US.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Congrats Cal Poly.

G-D, I hate Wyoming's yellow uniforms. So ugly.

Does Poly still run that desert swarm or whatever scheme on defense that was?

ElCid
September 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Good job Cal Poly. As I recall, you guys have stuck it to a few 1A teams over the years. Always nice to hear.

coover
September 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Congrats Cal Poly.

G-D, I hate Wyoming's yellow uniforms. So ugly.

Does Poly still run that desert swarm or whatever scheme on defense that was? No, that defense was designed by our former coach, Rich Ellerson, now head coach at West Point. He designed it while he was an assistant at Arizona State. One of its elements was a 3 man defensive line with 4 linebackers. Poly is back to the 4 - 3 now.

coover
September 16th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I know Sac likes to call Davis the "Farm Extension," but if they're into fisting, I don't wanna know. xsmhx xnonoxi don't know if there are any women on the Eastern Washington team, sir, but I can guarantee that there are none on the Cal Poly team and I know of none at UC Davis. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to watch such abuse on the Football field.

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Good job Cal Poly. As I recall, you guys have stuck it to a few 1A teams over the years. Always nice to hear.

Back at you ElCid. Great win this weekend over App. State. I was not surprised by the win, but was surprised by how big the margin was and the fact that you racked up over 600 yards of total offense. All I can say is WOW!!!

wmmii
September 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM

No class to this post.......

wmmii
September 17th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Congrats to Cal Poly

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
If the Mustangs can hold serve at home and win just one of five games on the road (UND, Weber, Sac State, EWU, NAU) they're a playoff team, especially with neither Montana team on their schedule (and I'm not sure who's happiest about Cal Poly not playing either MT team - Cal Poly, Montana or MSU).

Since they don't play either Montana's...what's the rules on how to break tiebreakers for the conference title? IMO its going to come down to Montana State and Cal Poly for the title and since they don't play each other I hope they adopt the same tiebreakers as the NFL (head to head, wins vs conference, etc.) unless there is co-champs?

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Since they don't play either Montana's...what's the rules on how to break tiebreakers for the conference title? IMO its going to come down to Montana State and Cal Poly for the title and since they don't play each other I hope they adopt the same tiebreakers as the NFL (head to head, wins vs conference, etc.) unless there is co-champs?

Tiebreaker is something like head to head. Then record against common opponents. However, if, for example, three teams are tied, all with one loss to each other, the tiebreaker would be by their Sagarin rating. No joke.

Found the link: Tiebreaker procedure is on page 2 (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucda/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/CompleteBigSkyPreseasonRelease.pdf)

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Tiebreaker is something like head to head. Then record against common opponents. However, if, for example, three teams are tied, all with one loss to each other, the tiebreaker would be by their Sagarin rating. No joke.

Found the link: Tiebreaker procedure is on page 2 (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucda/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/CompleteBigSkyPreseasonRelease.pdf)

1. Head-to-head
2. Record against COMMON SCHEDULED CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
in descending order.
3. Record against COMMON CONFERENCE NON-CONFERENCE opponents
in descending order
4. Record against COMMON NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
5. Sagarin Rating
6. Coin Flip

I can't believe #5 is an option.

AmsterBison
September 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Nice job, Mustangs!

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM
1. Head-to-head
2. Record against COMMON SCHEDULED CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
in descending order.
3. Record against COMMON CONFERENCE NON-CONFERENCE opponents
in descending order
4. Record against COMMON NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
5. Sagarin Rating
6. Coin Flip

I can't believe #5 is an option.

Big 12 used to do the same exact thing for qualification into the conference championship game. How else could they decide it if it came to #5? Would you rather have a coin flip?

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Big 12 used to do the same exact thing for qualification into the conference championship game. How else could they decide it if it came to #5? Would you rather have a coin flip?

Is Sagarin the most accurate? I know there is a lot of rating systems out there but what is the most accurate?

UNDColorado
September 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Great win Poly! Really looking forward to our game at home against you guys later this month!

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
No, that defense was designed by our former coach, Rich Ellerson, now head coach at West Point. He designed it while he was an assistant at Arizona State. One of its elements was a 3 man defensive line with 4 linebackers. Poly is back to the 4 - 3 now.

That's great news!

How about the offense, what are you running scheme wise?

PAllen
September 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM

And the beauty of a true playoff is... They both get into the postseason with a shot at a national title!

MTfan4life
September 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Is Sagarin the most accurate? I know there is a lot of rating systems out there but what is the most accurate?

That will be debatable forever. I like Massey because it rates and includes all levels of college football and not just Division I. Most accurate is almost an oxymoron when talking about computer rankings for sports, though.

Just to clarify: The tiebreaker is simply for deciding the auto-bid recipient. The conference trophy will go to the team(s) with the best record.

Hammerhead
September 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The Mountain West is 3-3 vs FCS teams this year. :) (Unless I missed an FCS opponent I'm not familiar with.)

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 09:26 AM
The Mountain West is 3-3 vs FCS teams this year. :) (Unless I missed an FCS opponent I'm not familiar with.)

UND gets another shot at the Mountain West in 2014 (San Jose St) and 2015 (Wyoming). Maybe they see some BSC teams as potential conference members?

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Cal Poly get's two shots against the Mountain West next year when we play Fresno State and Colorado State.

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM
That's great news!

How about the offense, what are you running scheme wise?

Why is that great news?

We run the triple option with a few new twist.

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Cal Poly get's two shots against the Mountain West next year when we play Fresno State and Colorado State.

2 FBS teams? Yikes (but then after Wyoming maybe its just like another FCS game).xsmiley_wix

frozennorth
September 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
UND gets another shot at the Mountain West in 2014 (San Jose St) and 2015 (Wyoming). Maybe they see some BSC teams as potential conference members?

aside from montana, probably not.

crossfire07
September 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Remove Boise and Air Force and you have nothing but an overspent FCS conference. Totally weak.Upper tier FCS teams should not lose to hardly any of them.When Wyoming was suing McNeese over the logo, it was suggested we play for it. They respectfully declined.

laxVik
September 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Remove Boise and Air Force and you have nothing but an overspent FCS conference. Totally weak.Upper tier FCS teams should not lose to hardly any of them.When Wyoming was suing McNeese over the logo, it was suggested we play for it. They respectfully declined.Quite true. The much maligned sunbelt has shown more moxy this year with ULM and WKU than all of the MWC. And what about the state of FBS football in Colorado? As pathetic as pathetic can be.

UNDColorado
September 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Quite true. The much maligned sunbelt has shown more moxy this year with ULM and WKU than all of the MWC. And what about the state of FBS football in Colorado? As pathetic as pathetic can be.

True story, you know football in Colorado is bad when Northern Colorado looks like the team with upside.

laxVik
September 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM
True story, you know football in Colorado is bad when Northern Colorado looks like the team with upside.And CSUP. xthumbsupx

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM
aside from montana, probably not.

Not Cal Poly?

frozennorth
September 17th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Remove Boise and Air Force and you have nothing but an overspent FCS conference. Totally weak.Upper tier FCS teams should not lose to hardly any of them.When Wyoming was suing McNeese over the logo, it was suggested we play for it. They respectfully declined.

nevada, sdsu, fresno and hawaii as an overspent fcs conference? Yeah the bottom half blows though.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Not Cal Poly?

quite a ways from being fbs ready.

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM
2 FBS teams? Yikes (but then after Wyoming maybe its just like another FCS game).xsmiley_wix

12 game season. We also have 6 home games in 2012. 4 conference games and 2 OOC games against San Diego and Yale.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Why is that great news?

We run the triple option with a few new twist.

Because once they run normal, acceptable schemes then I wouldn't mind seeing them in Fargo for a guarantee game.

Defense is there but sounds like offense is still in wonderland.

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Because once they run normal, acceptable schemes then I wouldn't mind seeing them in Fargo for a guarantee game.

Defense is there but sounds like offense is still in wonderland.

Cal Poly's offense is not the one in wonderland. You on the other hand.....

BTW, the only way Cal Poly is coming to Fargo is in a home and home contract or in the playoffs.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM

BTW, the only way Cal Poly is coming to Fargo is in a home and home contract or in the playoffs.

Money talks.

RabidRabbit
September 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM

And first game in SLO....

I suspect that SDSU feels the same way about Montana.

darell1976
September 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
12 game season. We also have 6 home games in 2012. 4 conference games and 2 OOC games against San Diego and Yale.

I forgot about that. I wonder if we will pick up a 12th game. Your OOC games look very winnable including the FBS games.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM
And first game in SLO....

I suspect that SDSU feels the same way about Montana.

Nonsense. NDSU went to SLO in 2007. Stole that game. Literally ripped the carpet out from under them.

slostang
September 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Money talks.

If Cal Poly is going for a pay check it will be for more than NDSU is willing to write. I am sure Cal Poly is more than willing to play a home and home or pay NDSU to come to San Luis Obispo, but have zero interest in going to Fargo otherwise.

MplsBison
September 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM
If Cal Poly is going for a pay check it will be for more than NDSU is willing to write. I am sure Cal Poly is more than willing to play a home and home or pay NDSU to come to San Luis Obispo, but have zero interest in going to Fargo otherwise.

Poly can't afford even 100k.

NDSU could pay Poly 200k+.