PDA

View Full Version : Shakir Bell

Sycamore51
September 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
With 3:00 to go in the 4th, Bell has 349 yards rushing on 33 carriesand 30 or so yards receiving against Drake. His day is done, but what a statement day for Shakir.

sgt smash
September 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Wow. MVFC defense take note.

No_Skill
September 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM

He is a beast. I think we held him to under 100 last year if I remember correctly.

gotts
September 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
He is a beast. I think we held him to under 100 last year if I remember correctly.

16 carries, 79 yards

No_Skill
September 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM
16 carries, 79 yards

That will be the key to this year's game as well.

Sycamore51
September 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
He got hurt early in the NDSU game last year I believe

MplsBison
September 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM

I doubt many defensive coordinators are saying to the staff "Shakir Bell: not very impressed by him. Wouldn't worry too much about him."

Jacked_Rabbit
September 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
In related MVFC RB news, SDSU's Zach Zenner (leading rusher in the nation, all divisions) snaps off for another 200 yards vs. UC-Davis... Should be a fun one next week!

sgt smash
September 15th, 2012, 05:31 PM
In related MVFC RB news, SDSU's Zach Zenner (leading rusher in the nation, all divisions) snaps off for another 200 yards vs. UC-Davis... Should be a fun one next week!

Saw that. Good for him. The MVFC meat grinder. Also SDSU had 9 different players with receptions, none of them had over 35 yards but they all help move the chains.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Saw that. Good for him. The MVFC meat grinder. Also SDSU had 9 different players with receptions, none of them had over 35 yards but they all help move the chains.

It was an ugly win, especially offensively. The D pitched a shut-out, with Davis' only score coming off of a pick-6. Next week will be a much tougher battle at Indiana St. Hope we can limit the turnovers and keep it close.

Indianastate45
September 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Bell also had 27 receiving yards for a total of 376. Unreal to watch him in person. Absolutely unreal.

X-Factor
September 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Bell also had 27 receiving yards for a total of 376. Unreal to watch him in person. Absolutely unreal.

There is no doubt that it was extremely good performance, but let us keep this in perspective. It was against a non-scholarship team. The fact that you had to play Bell for all 4 quarters and lean on him as heavy as you did is reason for concern.

h5322rsh
September 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM
There is no doubt that it was extremely good performance, but let us keep this in perspective. It was against a non-scholarship team. The fact that you had to play Bell for all 4 quarters and lean on him as heavy as you did is reason for concern. A Bison-Jack agreement. Next week will be very interesting game to watch. Also ISU-Blue graduated your great QB. So......maybe the Jacks will be ready to play. Not real crazy about a prediction.

fatmonarch
September 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I see your shakir bell and raise you a Taylor heinicke. 486 yards passing, 46 yards rushing, 7 tds passing, 1 td rushing tonight. That's over 500 yards of offense from him tonight and 8 tds. He was pulled with 9 mins left in the third quarter.

Indianastate45
September 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
There is no doubt that it was extremely good performance, but let us keep this in perspective. It was against a non-scholarship team. The fact that you had to play Bell for all 4 quarters and lean on him as heavy as you did is reason for concern.

Drake may be non-scholly but they almost got Montana State last week. We man handled them today by a lot more than the score shows but they played tough. I'd say Drake is a pretty good team. Not top 25, but better than half of FCS scholly I bet.

No_Skill
September 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I see your shakir bell and raise you a Taylor heinicke. 486 yards passing, 46 yards rushing, 7 tds passing, 1 td rushing tonight. That's over 500 yards of offense from him tonight and 8 tds. He was pulled with 9 mins left in the third quarter.

Yeah, but he played against soup.

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Don't get me wrong. That's also a hell of a performance. But a QB should ALWAYS have more yards of offense than a RB. At a minimum, subtract YAC to make it somewhat comparable. Also, Campbell isn't an extremely tough opponent (lost to DII Shorter and won 10-0 over NAIA UVA-Wise).

fatmonarch
September 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Soup is in the same league as the degrassi cast member converted rapper. I can play this game too.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Soup is in the same league as the degrassi cast member converted rapper. I can play this game too.

He has a valid point.

MTfan4life
September 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Campbell is a joke. Comparing them to Drake is like comparing Georgia State to Old Dominion just because they're in the same league.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Campbell is a joke. Comparing them to Drake is like comparing Georgia State to Old Dominion just because they're in the same league.

They both come from a league that doesn't belong.

MTfan4life
September 15th, 2012, 09:32 PM
They both come from a league that doesn't belong.

Mplsbison, is that you?

fatmonarch
September 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Drake is a joke. Georgia state is a joke. Old dominion is not a joke. That's a pretty bad comparison.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Mplsbison, is that you?

They went 1-7 in DI OOC this week. 1-5 in DI OOC in week 2. 1-5 in DI OOC in week 1.

3-17 is pretty bad as a conference.

In week 1 they went 2-2 against SubDI teams.

In week 2 they went 2-2 against SubDI teams.

In week 3 they went 1-0 against SubDI teams.

MTfan4life
September 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM
They went 1-7 in DI OOC this week. 1-5 in DI OOC in week 2. 1-5 in DI OOC in week 1.

3-17 is pretty bad as a conference.

In week 1 they went 2-2 against SubDI teams.

In week 2 they went 2-2 against SubDI teams.

In week 3 they went 1-0 against SubDI teams.

Thank you for the negative rep twentysux. well appreciated to have you pop my cherry! Drake has competed with two Top 25 teams and they have a very solid quarterback. Campbell has embarrassed themselves for three straight weeks. That's the comparison I made. You, like Mplsbison, just said they're all one, cuz they're all in the same conference. Sorry for comparing you to your dad.

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you for the negative rep twentysux. well appreciated to have you pop my cherry! Drake has competed with two Top 25 teams and they have a very solid quarterback. Campbell has embarrassed themselves for three straight weeks. That's the comparison I made. You, like Mplsbison, just said they're all one, cuz they're all in the same conference. Sorry for comparing you to your dad.

Agree. Drake >> Cambell; QB stats should be better than RB stats. That's why we count 100 yd games for RB's and 300 yd games for QB's right? So shouldn't ODU's QB need over 1000 yds offense to compare, given his position advantage and inferior opponent?

Just out of curiousity, how do you know if someone reps you (positive or negative)?

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM

of what he did....against Drake.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM

Careful, Drake is SRS business round these parts. They could maybe compete for second to last in the MVFC.

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM

I see your Taylor Heinicke and raise you one Marcus Hendrickson (UND QB). 418 yds passing, 43 yds rushing, 4 tds passing. Against FBS SDSU on the road. Still 6 min to play.

clenz
September 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Drake >> Cambell
Division 2 Northwest Missouri State >> Drake
USD >> Drake
Western Illinois >> Drake
Missouri State >> Drake
Division 2 Upper Iowa ≥ Drake

fatmonarch
September 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM
The point is that both players put up gargantuan numbers against much inferior opponents.

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Right. Cuz no one had heard of this guy before. MVFC defenses definitely won't game plan for himxrolleyesx

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM
The point is that both players put up gargantuan numbers against much inferior opponents.

/End thread

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Right. Cuz no one had heard of this guy before. MVFC defenses definitely won't game plan for himxrolleyesx

Right. I'm just saying, don't be proud of putting up ridiculously gaudy numbers to beat Drake by 14.

When you lean on him like that in MVFC play, someone might knock him out cold.....just sayin. xtroublex

Sycamore51
September 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Right. I'm just saying, don't be proud of putting up ridiculously gaudy numbers to beat Drake by 14.

When you lean on him like that in MVFC play, someone might knock him out cold.....just sayin. xtroublex

I simply posted his numbers because they were huge, conference record. He didn't play much in the fourth. If he had it would've been nearly 400 yards. It would've been posted, and in the same way, whether it were against Drake, sdsu, NDSU, or IU. We ran 64 plays in the game, and 33 were run plays by Bell, so I don't think that's riding a stud back too much. We finished the day with 468 yards of offense, and the second half of the 3rd and the 4th we were trying to run as much clock as we could. The point of the thread was to show big numbers, an MVFC/Gateway record. Nothing more, nothing less.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I simply posted his numbers because they were huge, conference record. He didn't play much in the fourth. If he had it would've been nearly 400 yards. It would've been posted, and in the same way, whether it were against Drake, sdsu, NDSU, or IU. We ran 64 plays in the game, and 33 were run plays by Bell, so I don't think that's riding a stud back too much. We finished the day with 468 yards of offense, and the second half of the 3rd and the 4th we were trying to run as much clock as we could. The point of the thread was to show big numbers, an MVFC/Gateway record. Nothing more, nothing less.

It wouldn't have been against NDSU. See last year at home.

Sycamore51
September 16th, 2012, 08:29 AM
It wouldn't have been against NDSU. See last year at home.

I'm sure you are right, but that is the game he left early due to injury. He wouldn't have had 350, but he was probably on his way to 130-150 yard game. But we'll never know

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm sure you are right, but that is the game he left early due to injury. He wouldn't have had 350, but he was probably on his way to 130-150 yard game. But we'll never know

He also got knocked out cold, like rob said, against UNI. He won't last the season if he has to put up 80% of your yards a week in mvfc play, especially with how the league looks this year

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

NoDak 4 Ever
September 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM

He was playing into the 4th quarter. He would have needed at least another 14 carries in the next 12 minutes of game time with his 4.9 average.

FargoBison
September 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM

He played basically the entire game vs NDSU. Maybe he played hurt, I can't remember but he got carries until ISU went down by 17 in the fourth quarter.

Indianastate45
September 16th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Right guys because his entire season last year as the top rusher in the country was a fluke. As was his previous record game against "lowly" Youngstown State of 256 yards. Or one of his many other 200+ games. Drake is a good football team. Like I said before. Are they top 25 ...no. Top 50. Probably . I guess their game last week against the number 4 Bobcats was also a fluke. Will we play tougher teams? Absolutely.

AmsterBison
September 16th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Very impressive!

I sure hope that NDSU doesn't get complacent about Bell just because they contained him once... I mean, in the final two conference games after Indiana State, NDSU's run defense let 3 guys run over 100 yards.

I don't think NDSU saw Shakir at a 100% last year.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Right guys because his entire season last year as the top rusher in the country was a fluke. As was his previous record game against "lowly" Youngstown State of 256 yards. Or one of his many other 200+ games. Drake is a good football team. Like I said before. Are they top 25 ...no. Top 50. Probably . I guess their game last week against the number 4 Bobcats was also a fluke. Will we play tougher teams? Absolutely.

Bobcats were clearly overrated. This magical Drake team is not shaking off the entire Pioneer history of poor play outside of their league.

Bell is a great RB, but the reason he puts up such great numbers is because you guys RIDE him. I haven't seen one team on TV or in person ride a back like that in years. Then when he gets injured, you guys are screwed. Not even NFL teams ride one back anymore.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Well, I think in the last couple years Bell and Eric Breitenstein of Wofford have been going at it for yardage in the rushing title, with Bell having the advantage by a nose or 2. This year I don't think it will be any different, because Wofford has so many running backs. EB is a beast, too bad against Lincoln he only had 35 yards rushing....because we started taking out starters in the second quarter.....he would likely have had 300 yards plus if we wanted to. But I'm not going to make excuses, Bell is a great back and probably will win the rushing title again.

I think the MVFC is like the Big 10 in terms of offensive identity. They play great defense and they like to run that power I stuff. The Socon is more of an option kind of league, and I think the players' statistics of both respected conferences reflects that.

Indianastate45
September 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Bobcats were clearly overrated. This magical Drake team is not shaking off the entire Pioneer history of poor play outside of their league.

Bell is a great RB, but the reason he puts up such great numbers is because you guys RIDE him. I haven't seen one team on TV or in person ride a back like that in years. Then when he gets injured, you guys are screwed. Not even NFL teams ride one back anymore.

I'm the first to admit Bell is a huge asset. If he goes down.... yea we have issues... but he's still amazing to watch.

nmatsen
September 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Garbage that this goes in the record books. I can run around the track once holding a football but that doesn't mean I have 400 yards rushing. That is essentially what Bell did. Those of you that say Drake is top 50 are idiots and obviously not from around this area. They would not win the Iowa Conference which is a Division 3 football league. That is EXACTLY what they are. Division 3, they offer ZERO scholarships / aid for athletics. This is not Shakir's fault, he doesn't do the scheduling, but to place this in the books in my mind is not cool.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Garbage that this goes in the record books. I can run around the track once holding a football but that doesn't mean I have 400 yards rushing. That is essentially what Bell did. Those of you that say Drake is top 50 are idiots and obviously not from around this area. They would not win the Iowa Conference which is a Division 3 football league. That is EXACTLY what they are. Division 3, they offer ZERO scholarships / aid for athletics. This is not Shakir's fault, he doesn't do the scheduling, but to place this in the books in my mind is not cool.

Agree

Upper Iowa would handle Drake.

Sycamore51
September 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM

You would actually get 440 yards for a trip around the track.

Sycamore51
September 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
He's had 24, 19, & 33 carries this year. For us to have a chance at the playoffs he's going to need about 25 carries a game, good or bad that's just the way it is.

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM
He's had 24, 19, & 33 carries this year. For us to have a chance at the playoffs he's going to need about 25 carries a game, good or bad that's just the way it is.

You're ****ed if that is the case....He'll likely need 30+ to have a chance against NDSU, and thankfully for him there is no UNI the next two years.

Most guys the size of UNI's Davis Johnson (6'3 220) can't take that abuse...guys Shakir's size? Good luck.

Count on him getting yards, but your coaches better have a damn good plan for when he isn't on the field, because it will happen this year.

He was knocked the **** out against UNI last year...he got hit and was out before he hit the ground...that's at least one grade 3 concussion for him. Knocked out of the NDSU game last year. Those little legs have a **** ton of miles on them. I hope the best for him, but worry as well.

Sycamore51
September 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
You're ****ed if that is the case....He'll likely need 30+ to have a chance against NDSU, and thankfully for him there is no UNI the next two years.

Most guys the size of UNI's Davis Johnson (6'3 220) can't take that abuse...guys Shakir's size? Good luck.

Count on him getting yards, but your coaches better have a damn good plan for when he isn't on the field, because it will happen this year.

He was knocked the **** out against UNI last year...he got hit and was out before he hit the ground...that's at least one grade 3 concussion for him. Knocked out of the NDSU game last year. Those little legs have a **** ton of miles on them. I hope the best for him, but worry as well.

Bell getting knocked out worries the crap out of me as an Sycamore fan. We have a brand new QB and some new pass catchers. Common sense says that if we have to go without Bell, we will have trouble winning. You say he will get knocked out for sure in a couple of games, and I'm hoping he won't. And I wish we had UNI on the schedule this year and next. It sucks that we have some of our best teams in years and don't have the conference's measuring stick to judge ourselves by. I guess we do have as many national titles though, so that's a start.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Bell getting knocked out worries the crap out of me as an Sycamore fan. We have a brand new QB and some new pass catchers. Common sense says that if we have to go without Bell, we will have trouble winning. You say he will get knocked out for sure in a couple of games, and I'm hoping he won't. And I wish we had UNI on the schedule this year and next. It sucks that we have some of our best teams in years and don't have the conference's measuring stick to judge ourselves by. I guess we do have as many national titles though, so that's a start.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 3 of your last 5 games will make you wish you just had to play UNI this year.

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM

+++++++++++++++

BisonBacker
September 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM

But you seem to want to keep debating just based on the numbers and dismissing the quality of the opponent. YSU, UNI, NDSU, ISU-R and ISU-B not to mention the rest of the Valley are all better defensivly than Drake. To debate whether Drake is better or not than half of FCS teams is nonsense based on who they play. As Clenz also correctly points out if they have to rely on Bell to run as much as he did in that game against Valley teams he won't last the season in conference play.

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Drake's defense is okay. They have the highest sack count in the FCS or at least it's really up there. I would probably discount Drake as non-scholly since they can beat Charleston Southern.

Still can't believe FSU played Savannah State.

alvinkayak6
September 18th, 2012, 12:58 AM
It was really important for Bell to have a big game. As a smaller player, you want to get outside the numbers and make big plays. Bell did not have 350 yards against Penn State last year.

What are his NFL chances? The Sports Xchange draft tracker has him at #17 among RBs for 2014.

Indianastate45
September 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM
ESPN

McShay : Shakir Bell, RB, Indiana State: Mel brought Bell to your attention a couple weeks back, but after his 33-carry, 349-yard and two-touchdown performance against Drake on Saturday, he deserves another mention. While Bell lacks ideal experience as a pass-catcher (18 combined catches in 2011 and 2012 so far) and a returner, he shows solid hands and the quickness to develop into an NFL contributor. Plus, his diminutive size (5-foot-8, 185 pounds) isn't reflective of his strength -- check out the YouTube video of him

Kiper: I'm going with Shakir Bell, the running back for Indiana State. In fact, he should now officially get the "Darren Sproles comparison" label to start the year, for evaluators. At 5-foot-7½ and about 185 pounds, he's shifty and hard for defenses to find. And if you lose him, he'll explode into the secondary. He tore Indiana apart on Saturday with 24 carries for 194 yards, including a long TD run, and is the kind of smaller-program player who could play -- and well -- for any program in the country. He'll also work inside or out, and flat-out competes. A CERTAIN DRAFT PICK, his grade is rising on my board.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Bump.

Looks like some on here look pretty brilliant.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Bump.

Looks like some on here look pretty brilliant.

Me me me me. Lol.

Also, Mel Kiper is an idiot. :)

Squealofthepig
September 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
18 carries, 54 yards.

Also of note: Mike Perish, 6 "carries" (err sacks) for -43 yards. Combined, that's 24 plays for 11 yards.

fatmonarch
September 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Agree. Drake >> Cambell; QB stats should be better than RB stats. That's why we count 100 yd games for RB's and 300 yd games for QB's right? So shouldn't ODU's QB need over 1000 yds offense to compare, given his position advantage and inferior opponent?

Just out of curiousity, how do you know if someone reps you (positive or negative)?

So heinicke finally plays and entire game and sets all sorts of D1 records against a team who has made the playoffs for 8 straight years. You may have seen the highlights on espn and ABC. He must not be that good because he didn't pass for 1000 yards.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
So heinicke finally plays and entire game and sets all sorts of D1 records against a team who has made the playoffs for 8 straight years. You may have seen the highlights on espn and ABC. He must not be that good because he didn't pass for 1000 yards.

But also a team with a worse defense than the Minnesota Gophers. Just saying ;). They are very impressive records.

fatmonarch
September 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
The real question was if drake has a better defense than UNH.