PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years of Eligibility...?

putter
July 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM
In listening to Ralph's discussions at the BSC meeting I found it interesting that one area that they have been pushing is 5 years of eligibility. Saying it will give coaches more flexibility in recruiting, red-shirts, etc. I think it would help college sports a lot as most students are taking 5 years to finish a degree anyway. Any thoughts?

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM
In listening to Ralph's discussions at the BSC meeting I found it interesting that one area that they have been pushing is 5 years of eligibility. Saying it will give coaches more flexibility in recruiting, red-shirts, etc. I think it would help college sports a lot as most students are taking 5 years to finish a degree anyway. Any thoughts?

Question, how does that impact scholarships or does it? I assume redshirts are using a scholarships so it is all the same.

downbythebeach
July 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I like this idea better instead of the sometimes four, sometimes four and a red shirt deal we have right now, I know this is what Canada's CIS already has done.

McTailGator
July 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I agree, If a student is good enough to finish in 4 years, then he really should consider staying another year to earn his masters anyway.

The NCAA is supposed to consider what is best for the College Student Athelte. What a great opportunity to show a kid the value of a higher degree, or give another kid plenty of time to work toward a BS. or BA.

Tommy tate hs been asking for this for about 5 or 6 years now. I wish there were a way to keep it only a PCS (I-aa) thing to enhance our division, but that won't go over well with the voting presidents. I'd rather a crap load of 5th year seniors over a crap load of transfers anyway.

McTailGator
July 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Question, how does that impact scholarships or does it? I assume redshirts are using a scholarships so it is all the same.

Yes, at McNeese, we commit to the kid for 5 years, if we decide to redshirt him.