PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating @ Harvard?

hvsader
July 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Been to a few games at Harvard, usually have parked on the street as I recall. This year, coming up from NY to meet hc and harvard friends and plan to tailgate. Anyone have info on tailgating locations I might be able to get to?

July 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
I tailgated at Harvard in the hoidy toidy section on the west side right next to the stadium.

Mountain Panther
July 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
I tailgated at Harvard in the hoidy toidy section on the west side right next to the stadium.

Was everyone drinking their scotch-on-the-rocks "pinkys out?"

July 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
white tablecloths and waiters...

ngineer
July 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Last year we tailgated in the area outside the closed end of the horseshoe next to a track and field area. We got in as part of the Boosters' bus trip, so the area may be restricted.

DFW HOYA
July 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Don't expect any tailgating at Georgetown for road fans. The parking lot north of the field (formerly the baseball field) is now a construction zone.

Husky Alum
July 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
When NU played Harvard in a 4 game set we tailgated in a few different spots. A couple of times we were in the huge empty field alongside a dirt road on the home side of the stadium and a couple of other times we were in the grassy field next to the Field Hockey stadium.

They're pretty accomodating to visiting fans, and if you get there early and "pretend" you're lost, you can pretty much park wherever you see other cars, regardless of your status (Harvard Alum or not). I think it was about $10 a car to park.

Ivytalk
July 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM
As I recall, you have to get there pretty darn early for a choice riverbank spot!

SoCon48
July 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Been to a few games at Harvard, usually have parked on the street as I recall. This year, coming up from NY to meet hc and harvard friends and plan to tailgate. Anyone have info on tailgating locations I might be able to get to?

Can't perceive the notion of Haaahvad types actually eating outside in that that that... air.... with the sun, wind, bugs, etc.
But, I'm sure the butler will make the necessary adjustments, somehow.

Pard4Life
July 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Harvard-Pards October 14... the streak will end..

carney2
July 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM

That is a West Point tradition. Darnedest thing I ever saw. White table cloths and waiters, as you say, but with china, silverware, chafing dishes, candelabras, you name it. The waiters were decked out in formal wear and the women guests were in fur coats and the like.

Husky Alum
July 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM
As I recall, you have to get there pretty darn early for a choice riverbank spot!

We were waiting when they opened the gates. We had one car waiting at the gate and the rest of us were down the street at Channel 5 in the parking lot.

While there aren't many loyal NU football fans, the ones we have throw a pretty decent tailgate. Despite the rain last year at homecoming at NU we had about 5 tents tied together to keep the festivities dry and moving.

With regards to Yale-Harvard tailgating, you haven't lived until you've been chased away by the Secret Service for trying to crash the Kennedy Family Tailgate at Yale!

Marcus Garvey
July 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I think it'd be easiest to let someone else arrive with the car/truck/van for the tailgate, then take the Red Line to Harvard Square, walk across the bridge and crash the party! :D

bulldog10jw
July 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Yale is more of a red and white checkered tablecloth kind of tailgate.

I actually saw one guy with a huge buffet including a 20lb turkey and candlabras at each end of the table. And, of course, that red and white checkered tablecloth.