PDA

View Full Version : Elon/North Carolina A&T Sign 4 Game Home-And-Home

superman7515
September 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/-58935--.html

Elon University and North Carolina A&T will play a four-game, home-and-home football series across the next four seasons, Elon coach Jason Swepson said.

The series will renew a rivalry between schools located less than 20 miles apart. They both compete in the Football Championship Subdivision.

ElonFirefighter
September 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Glad to see it back. Always had a good crowd.

kdinva
September 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
xnodx xthumbsupx

good for the community......

WileECoyote06
September 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Didn't it end before because Elon fans didn't come to A&T; but A&T fans were helping to sell out Elon?

SoCon48
September 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
That would be a good reason.

ElonFirefighter
September 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Didn't it end before because Elon fans didn't come to A&T; but A&T fans were helping to sell out Elon?

I always heard it was becasue NC A&T was on a down turn of its program while Elon was going up. The 45-0 Drubbing in 2006 ended the series. When we did travel in 05 I knw we took 6 or 7 busses and a good crowd drove over. Years before that Furman was our big travel game so it might of not been marked as well

Saint3333
September 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM

If that's the cause can App would have to end its games with Elon, Wofford, and Furman to a lesser extend.

Seriously though nice series to ensure good gates for both.

DSUrocks07
September 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
If that's the cause can App would have to end its games with Elon, Wofford, and Furman to a lesser extend.

Seriously though nice series to ensure good gates for both.

Those are conference games, bad example.

ElonFirefighter
September 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth

WileECoyote06
September 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Just kick em because they were going through some bad seasons. Aggies, yall paying attention? They played yall eight straight seasons and the series was tied 4-4. But you have a bad season and now you're not good enough for them. . .

Might as well renew the series with Winston Salem or play a series with Gardner-Webb.

ElonFirefighter
September 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
No intent to put them down, I just heard there administration at the time was not looking to play a top 25 team year in and out. Im not saying that now that we are do is the reason we started it back up. Personally I always enjoyed the series when I was in school and plan to make the drive up from charlotte to all the home-home series. Looking at the previous eight years correct it was 4-4 Elon taking the first 2 and last 2 of the series. I just think that A&T and Elon were heading in different directions at the time and A&T had better intrests to persue.

WileECoyote06
September 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
No intent to put them down, I just heard there administration at the time was not looking to play a top 25 team year in and out. Im not saying that now that we are do is the reason we started it back up. Personally I always enjoyed the series when I was in school and plan to make the drive up from charlotte to all the home-home series. Looking at the previous eight years correct it was 4-4 Elon taking the first 2 and last 2 of the series. I just think that A&T and Elon were heading in different directions at the time and A&T had better intrests to persue.

Fair enough, I was just teasing anyway.

phoenix3
September 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Great news! I don't know why the series was suspended & don't really care. I'm just glad it's back on. There is no doubt that they travelled better than we did. But we probably traveled better there than anywhere else primarily due to the proximity. I don't think that will be as much of a problem now, however. I can sincerely say though, that I looked forward to the A&T games easily as much as the App and GSU games. Great game day atmosphere excellent fans and there is no better band.

ElonFirefighter
September 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Great game day atmosphere excellent fans and there is no better band.

Welll there is JC Smith, but being from Charlotte Im a little biased

GOODY26
September 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
xthumbsupx

whoanellie
September 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
it's all about Location - Location - Location

Several threads on this board speak of expansion and conference movement but in the 14 years Elon has been in D-1 they really
have benefited in being able to schedule and play at Wake Forest, NCCU, Duke, UNC-CH, with the possibility of an NCSU all within an hours drive
of the Elon campus. As far as the school not having to have major traveling issues it is almost like a home game in time preparation.
Nice to see A&T back on the radar.

Saint3333
September 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM

It was a joke. Come on guys give me some credit.

JazzyBulldog05
September 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Now if only we (SCSU) can get some of our regional schools into a home & home series.......

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2012, 07:23 AM

ok ok here are a few credits xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM

http://www.quickenloans.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/iStock_Credit-Approval-XSmall.jpg

WileECoyote06
September 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM
it's all about Location - Location - Location

Several threads on this board speak of expansion and conference movement but in the 14 years Elon has been in D-1 they really
have benefited in being able to schedule and play at Wake Forest, NCCU, Duke, UNC-CH, with the possibility of an NCSU all within an hours drive
of the Elon campus. As far as the school not having to have major traveling issues it is almost like a home game in time preparation.
Nice to see A&T back on the radar.

Agree. . I am all about engaging your home state/community. I didn't like the result of this years trip to Elon, but I did enjoy not having to book hotels, and save money for travel. $20 for gas; $15 for tickets.

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Agree. . I am all about engaging your home state/community. I didn't like the result of this years trip to Elon, but I did enjoy not having to book hotels, and save money for travel. $20 for gas; $15 for tickets.

WTH? A $15 ticket?

WileECoyote06
September 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM
WTH? A $15 ticket?

Believe me. . . our tickets are $20+. It was a steal as far as I'm concerned.

asumike83
September 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I like the idea of a good local series, great for both fans. Plus, regardless of the outcomes, the Phoenix will be treated to 4 excellent halftime shows. The A&T band rocks.

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Hey WilE. How'd you like that Elon recorded stadium music?

phoenix3
September 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not WileE, but my 2 cents is that it sounds like an old time transistor radio that has no bass. Very tinny & hurts my ears when it's too loud.

fc97
September 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM

troll! offering nothing to the thread. how dare you!

fc97
September 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM
in all fairness. the series is 4-4. elon took the first two games when both programs had nationally ranked teams. elon average 7000ish a game and the a&t game brought 8000 to 10000. a&t average 13000 a game and had 15000 for the elon games.

then the downturn. a&t took the next 4 games. they were playing ok, but elon was playing worse and worse. elon attendance suffered at a&t. then a&t took a turn for the worse. the last two games were bad, with bad elon teams taking both games. the 2005 game saw few a&t fans while a&t averaged 9000 a game, a significant drop overall for them. 2006 was a 45-0 thumbing by a bad elon team over a bad a&t team. 2900 people were there. I remember because it was just sad. 2/3 of that crowd was for elon. but both teams and fan bases were quiet.

a&t got a new ad who didnt renew the series. then broadway changed it and requested the series back. its a good choice for both school. both schools brought about the same number of road fans, probably 3000ish. nothing to sneeze at for sure.

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
troll! offering nothing to the thread. how dare you!

Says the troll that brought us the Jerry Moore thread.

When Chattown is the only one that agrees with you in 9 pages, you know youre an idiot.

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not WileE, but my 2 cents is that it sounds like an old time transistor radio that has no bass. Very tinny & hurts my ears when it's too loud.

True, but I was thinking more along the lines of music selection. I dont know who makes the selections, but my goodness. "These boots were made for walking" has no business being played at a college football game.

Apphole
September 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Wait, is fElon really 4-4 against NC A&T? xlolx

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Wait, is fElon really 4-4 against NC A&T? xlolx

Yes, but their record against App State more than makes up for that. Its a perfect record, O-fer.

Apphole
September 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Yes, but their record against App State more than makes up for that. Its a perfect record, O-fer.

I knew they've never beaten us, but I would at least think a SoCon team could manage a better record than .500 against a MEAC TBU. Jesus. I mean no offense to NC A&T, but this is the kind of gimme win on the schedule that App fans have bitched about for years. Come on Elon. Are they even full scholarship? You better sign a home and home to fix the embarrassing record.

Are we FBS yet?

GlassOnion
September 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I knew they've never beaten us, but I would at least think a SoCon team could manage a better record than .500 against a MEAC TBU. Jesus. I mean no offense to NC A&T, but this is the kind of gimme win on the schedule that App fans have bitched about for years. Come on Elon. Are they even full scholarship? You better sign a home and home to fix the embarrassing record.

Are we FBS yet?

Elon wasnt added to the Socon because of athletic competativeness, they were added because they carry the Greensboro market. Thats why the Socon has such a sweet media deal.

That and their fabulous gameday atmosphere.

fc97
September 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
thread about elon and a&t - check

complaint about gameday sound by app fan to central fan - check!
saying fElon - check
schedule complaint - check
is app fbs yet - check
the last 6 posts by app fans - check
never beaten app (when we have) - check
calling an idiot - check
hijacking another elon thread - check

even a smack to a&t, with a sort of tongue in cheek apology - check

someone missed saying e-loan, you better hop on that fast.

you guys never let anyone down! happy trolling!

fc97
September 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Says the troll that brought us the Jerry Moore thread.

When Chattown is the only one that agrees with you in 9 pages, you know youre an idiot.

stop trolling. no offense, but that thread is elsewhere, not here. you said i trolled, but you do it here!

also, its more than just chattown that agrees with this. you just need to go reading. xnodx 9 pages don't lie.

superman7515
September 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Anyway, now that you ladies have had your fun, back to the original topic... Have both the teams announced the rest of their non-conference schedules for next season?

fc97
September 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Anyway, now that you ladies have had your fun, back to the original topic... Have both the teams announced the rest of their non-conference schedules for next season?

georgia tech is another for sure

i have heard, possibly, uncc but not sure

WileECoyote06

They actually had their band and our band in the stands, so I didn't see why it was necessary. But stadium music doesn't bother me much, either way.

ElonPride

Thanks for getting folks back on topic. I am extremely happy to see this series back. I enjoyed seeing us play A&T, enjoyed their band and the majority of their fans. I ran into a weird incident at their place years ago, but was assured by their fans on the MEAC board that they were not A&T students, but HS folks.

Back in '99, I sat beside a few older A&T fans during the 1st game in the series. Very classy fellows. They really just loved being in the open air, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and watching game........even though A&T was losing big. I wish there were more fans across the board that simply embraced the game, as these gentlemen, rather than the bickering after who win/loses.

PhoenixSupreme
September 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm glad we get A&T back. Definitely enjoyed the games I saw from the time I was there, especially whenever they brought their band along to the Elon home games. I really wish we could get annual games against Liberty going back up again... I feel like that would be another good rivalry in the making

WileECoyote06
September 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Are we FBS yet?

Which school has never beaten App? A&T has, they did it in 1993. Perhaps you meant Elon hasn't beaten App since they joined Division I?

BTW, Elon, I love your stadium.

Apphole
September 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Which school has never beaten App? A&T has, they did it in 1993. Perhaps you meant Elon hasn't beaten App since they joined Division I?

Yes. I meant Elon.

ElonPride
September 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Thank you. Most of us also dig the friendly confines of Rhodes :)

Glad that at least one user, over the course of the last 2 pages of posts on this thread, can keep it civil.

Do you know if the Elon/NCCU series will continue after this year, or was it a home/home?

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I think it was home home and A&T replaced it. Though I would love to see 2 fcs 1fbs ooc. On a side note I believe next year we get the extra game in the season

ElonPride
September 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I think it was home home and A&T replaced it. Though I would love to see 2 fcs 1fbs ooc. On a side note I believe next year we get the extra game in the season

Next year our FBS is Georgia Tech, correct?

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Correct with Duke the following year I believe

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Are we FBS yet?

A&T won't be a joke for much longer. xcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'm glad we get A&T back. Definitely enjoyed the games I saw from the time I was there, especially whenever they brought their band along to the Elon home games. I really wish we could get annual games against Liberty going back up again... I feel like that would be another good rivalry in the making

Agreed! The dominate team should see a boost in recruiting in the Triad.

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Besides this, Expect a Div-2 team to remain for our OOC schedule & we will see Savannah State and the return of Hampton to our Conference Schedule.

whoanellie
September 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I believe We have a date w/ Boston College on the Horizon

Correct with Duke the following year I believe

whoanellie
September 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
PRICELESS!!!!!!

you left out the late hits on AE!!!! however We did take out Gio Bernard (Knee) after a 200 yd first half think He wasn't missed vs Wake Forest
thread about elon and a&t - check

complaint about gameday sound by app fan to central fan - check!
saying fElon - check
schedule complaint - check
is app fbs yet - check
the last 6 posts by app fans - check
never beaten app (when we have) - check
calling an idiot - check
hijacking another elon thread - check

even a smack to a&t, with a sort of tongue in cheek apology - check

someone missed saying e-loan, you better hop on that fast.

you guys never let anyone down! happy trolling!

ElonFirefighter
September 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I believe We have a date w/ Boston College on the Horizon

To my knowledge its been agreed on but not scheduled. Duke is 2014

phoenix3
September 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
PRICELESS!!!!!!

you left out the late hits on AE!!!! however We did take out Gio Bernard (Knee) after a 200 yd first half think He wasn't missed vs Wake Forest

Thanks Whoa. I just spit water all over my keyboard... too funny (although too true).