PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-10

JALMOND
September 11th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Interesting weekend for the conference. Going 1-2 against the Pac-12, falling behind late against a non-scholly, and taking an FCS power down to the wire on the road are just a few of the happenings. This week was a bit difficult in determining the rankings but I think I've got it. I'm sure they should generate great discussion this week. Here they are, this week (last week). Have at it.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats came in to the season as the team to beat in the conference, yet they were down to non-scholly Drake entering the fourth quarter. They were able to rally and escape with the win. This week, they stay at home and play Stephen F Austin.

2. Eastern Washington (2)---A daunting schedule for the Eagles included two games against the FBS, yet they were able to get the first win against Idaho. Their game against Washington State came just a bit short. Still, escaping from the Palouse 1-1 is commendable. This week, much needed time off.

3. Montana (4)---With all the offseason turmoil surrounding them, the Grizzlies could have just packed up and mailed it in. But they are still the big bad team on the block as shown by their effort against Appalachian State. This week they come home to face Liberty.

4. Cal Poly (3)---Everyone else was playing but the Mustangs took the week off. Now they get back to the task with a contest at FBS Wyoming. The Mustang's turn at possible glory.

5. Northern Arizona (6)---Most of the country was basking in their games during Saturday, celebrating wins and agonizing over losses. Yet, the Lumberjacks were catching up with UNLV and eventually getting the win. Now a possible breather in DII Fort Lewis.

6. Sacramento State (11)---In a season of rebuilding, no one really expected the Hornets to duplicate last season's win against the Pac-12, yet that is what they did to Colorado. Now they open conference play at home against Northern Colorado.

7. North Dakota (5)---An impressive win at home for the former Sioux against Portland State, showing off a strong passing attack. This weekend, they also get the experience of playing FBS, going to San Diego State.

8. Southern Utah (8)---Two great quarters and two not so great quarters meant the Thunderbirds were unable to get the upset over California. They were able to get their offense going, however. Now they come home to play the DII New Mexico Highlands.

9. Portland State (7)---Quite the offensive show for the Vikings on the road against North Dakota, but the defense could not seem to stop anything. The main issue is you get the win by scoring more points and that did not happen. Hard to imagine it will in their next game at Washington, however.

10. Weber State (9)---The Wildcats still seem to be trying to figure themselves out as they struggled against Brigham Young. This week, they return to the FCS, and their own home, with a game against McNeese State.

11. Idaho State (12)---The Bengals made up for their loss to Air Force with a resounding win against the DII's Black Hills State team. Obviously, what the Bengals are going to be this year is a passing team. This week, they will pass on playing.

12. UC-Davis (10)---The Aggies entered their game against San Jose State thinking they might have had a shot, however that was put to rest as they fell quickly. This week, they return to the FCS as they go on the road to South Dakota State.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---Don't look now but the Bears won a game, getting a win over Colorado Mesa College. It only took two year but they now have something positive to build on. This week they start conference play at Sacramento State.

Squealofthepig
September 12th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I'd flip EWU and MSU, and maybe UND/SUU, but otherwise I'd have almost the exact same list - two weeks will tell us a lot!

Three FBS scalps - not bad for the league!

UNDColorado
September 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hopefully more FBS scalps to come this weekend for the Big Sky!

wapiti
September 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Great job Jalmond.
I thought I would copy and paste my ranking from the other Big Sky Power rankings thread.

1. Eastern Washington Looked really good in two FBS games.

2. Montana Came close to the W in Boone.

3. Montana State Yes, they are 2-0, but not impressive.

4. Northern Arizona Beat a FBS, so they are on the rise.

5. Cal Poly Did well against Bye.

6. Sacramento State After getting a beat down from a FBS they turn around and beat a FBS.

7. Southern Utah Playing a middle FBS and a top FBS to a pair of L's has not helped SUU's ranking.

8. North Dakota The Souix beat PSU in a OOC game.

9. Weber State Losing to FBS teams does not help the rankings much.

10. Portland State Still early in the season to make a good judgment call on PSU's improvement, but the loss to UND does not help.

11. Idaho State Kramer has this team heading the the right direction they have potential to move up the rankings chart before the end of the season.

12. UC Davis Someone has to be in spot number 12 and the Big Sky looks to be tough this year.

13. Northern Colorado and someone has to be in spot 13 too. UNC has work to do.