PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Blog: Week 2 Power Rankings

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
As suggested, I added a new variable that gives a bonus for playing ranked FBS teams. I think that it helped alot and I was very pleased with the outcome of this weeks Power Ranking. Thanks to those that voiced their ideas xthumbsupx

http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/p/power-rankings.html

Hope you guys enjoy! The MVFC looks crazy good this year!

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
NDSU should be clear cut #1. Defending champ. Waxed a decent RMU and handily beats CSU who beat Colorado. How is what they have done any less impressive than YSU?

Western Illinois should be lower.

penguinpower
September 9th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Nice. I agree with PantherRob82, defending champs should get the nod after the impressive win last night.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Youngstown State's opponent win percentage is 54%, Illinois State's is 45%, and North Dakota State's is 40%. That strength of schedule variable is why those three are arranged the way they are. These three are very, very close; no argument that they are the top three.

I am not picking these, they are plugged into a formula.

MplsBison
September 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Top 4 are really tied for #1, in my book, until there is more data.

SDSU and IND St not far behind at all. Really those top 6 teams could win the conference with the right amount of luck.

Only quarrel I have with your ranking is no way South Dakota is behind Missouri St. And Colgate is not a "lesser scholarship" team. They a counter for FBS teams. Good win for USD this week.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Top 4 are really tied for #1, in my book, until there is more data.

SDSU and IND St not far behind at all. Really those top 6 teams could win the conference with the right amount of luck.

Only quarrel I have with your ranking is no way South Dakota is behind Missouri St. And Colgate is not a "lesser scholarship" team. They a counter for FBS teams. Good win for USD this week.

My point was they still have less scholarships than USD. Patriot League only allows teams to give out 60 max scholarships. They also can't give more than 15 scholarships to incoming recruiting classes. I know it not a huge difference, but its still a "lesser scholarship" team.

Missouri St jumped USD by the Ranked FBS variable that the UNI fans were begging for last week. Still very close between those two.

Daved
September 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Nice. I agree with PantherRob82, defending champs should get the nod after the impressive win last night.I agree with both of you--although I root for YSU I find it a bit surprising that so many polls don't rate NDSU at #1---Everyone has their own formula so I guess that must be the reason but polls will always be polls and when they battle it out on the field we will see the bottom line.

penguinpower
September 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think your power poll is good and I was not criticizing it. I was just voicing my voter bias.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Pretty good teams in the top 6 for sure.

Until USD proves they can win in the MV, they should be at the bottom.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM

I agree. Bison get a good rest this weekend. Any news on what might happen to those players who got in trouble with that petition scandal?

UNIFanSince1983
September 9th, 2012, 02:08 PM

I disagree. This poll should be based on the games to this point. Not who is going to be the best in the end. To this point USD has been more impressive than SIU, and possibly even WIU and MSU.

Overall, I think the poll looks good. I was saying to myself while sitting in the Dome early in the game yesterday that we might only be the 4th best team in the league this year. We need to start running the ball better.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 02:22 PM
This poll should be based on the games to this point.

It is.

Western Illinois is still an anomaly in the rankings system because they're 2-0 but have played crappy competition. I think the system did a pretty good job putting them close to the bottom even though they are undefeated.

Also, USD and Western Illinois are the only teams that haven't played an FBS team this year. Next week that will change. I'm certain USD will perform better against Northwestern than WIU does against Iowa State. As a result, WIU will most likely drop below USD next week.

(Just kidding. USD is on a bye week this coming week. They'll get their shot at Northwestern in two weeks. However, WIU will get destroyed by Iowa State and that will still be enough to drop them below USD and probably MSU too.)

In the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see this:

#7 MSU
#8 USD
#9 SIU
#10 WIU

Because honestly, I don't see WIU getting another win.

MplsBison
September 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM

USD could well finish ahead of WIU, SIU and MSU.

Twentysix
September 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I agree. Bison get a good rest this weekend. Any news on what might happen to those players who got in trouble with that petition scandal?

Nothing, they didn't violate any kind of team rules. They have to personally deal with legal stuff, which probably wont be a very big punishment either, probably a fine and probation.

If they all go to prison that my change something lmao.

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Nothing, they didn't violate any kind of team rules. They have to personally deal with legal stuff, which probably wont be a very big punishment either, probably a fine and probation.

If they all go to prison that my change something lmao.

You can never be too sure though when it comes to the NCAA. If an athlete is getting paid anything more than a dollar that they didn't otherwise earn, they'll crack down on it.

Twentysix
September 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
You can never be too sure though when it comes to the NCAA. If an athlete is getting paid anything more than a dollar that they didn't otherwise earn, they'll crack down on it.

My answer is the athletic departments answer, minus the prison comment. Like everything political it is situational and could change.

“There are not going to be any suspensions,” Taylor emphatically said after the game. “These kids don’t deserve a suspension. I’m not going to suspend them and neither is Craig (head coach Craig Bohl). As far as we are concerned, it is over.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373741/

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
My answer is the athletic departments answer, minus the prison comment. Like everything political it is situational and could change.

You really have to remember that Taylor's comment was after an emotional FBS win. He's going to be making claims. I'm simply saying the NCAA stepping in, aka, nothing to do with Taylor.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM
USD could well finish ahead of WIU, SIU and MSU.

Ya, they might but until they win on the road or even win period in the MV, they are at the bottom for me.

goyotes
September 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Most formula ranking systems are not accurate early in the season. Once you get to the half way point of the season, they usually become more reliable, assuming the formulas are based on the correct variables, become better indicators. Until then, they still provide good conversation. Thanks for putting the rankings together.

MplsBison
September 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ya, they might but until they win on the road or even win period in the MV, they are at the bottom for me.

I don't get the sense that you're being reasonable. Rather, you're proclaiming it in the hope that they will fail.

Twentysix
September 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I don't get the sense that you're being reasonable. Rather, you're proclaiming it in the hope that they will fail.

Colgate made them appear to be not very good. Although SIU and WIU are probably worse.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Colgate made them appear to be not very good. Although SIU and WIU are probably worse.

IMO, what concerns me about South Dakota is their defense. Colgate's running back and quarterback both had over 100 yards rushing. Just imagine what Bell, Zenner, Ojuri & Crockett, and Dunn & Hunt are going to do to the Coyotes. If I had to pick the USD-WIU game right now, I'd pick WIU because I know that Nikko Watson and Caulton Ray will run all over them.

On a brighter note--the new Coyote quarterback looks pretty solid, but if you have a crappy defense, you're going to lose games--just like SDSU last year.

mmiller_34
September 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm actually really curious to see what Missouri State is like against FCS competition. I think Ashton Glaser is a pretty good quarterback for them but again I think the question is on defense.