PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 3.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 9th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I was 5-3 last week. Appalachian State vs. Montana was as advertised. I called Coastal Carolina's win over Furman first, Elon vs. NC Central was one game where I was not so lucky. After this week, this is where I have it:

1) Appalachian State - Great game vs. Montana + GSU loss to The Citadel = new number one.
2) The Citadel - Who let the (Bull)dogs out?
3) Georgia Southern - Could yesterday's loss @ The Citadel be a sign of things to come?
4) Wofford - Terriers did not just beat Lincoln (PA), they burninated them very badly.
5) Samford - West Alabama's effort was pretty good, but not enough.
6) Chattanooga - Terrell Robinson leaving team last week had an effect on yesterday's game? You decide.
7) Elon - It appears someone on the Elon team has been reading last week's thread.
8) Furman - First Samford, now Coastal Carolina.
9) Western Carolina - Showed a surprisingly good effort vs. Marshall

Predictions
No brainers of the week
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - Mocs take out frustration vs. Glenville State.
West Virginia State @ Elon - Phoenix have no problems here.
Furman @ Clemson - Furman's woes continue in Death Valley.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - Samford continues find success on the road.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Catamounts should put up more of a fight vs. Wofford.

Game of the week
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - A resurgent Bulldog team goes to the Rock for an epic battle but the Mountaineers come out on top.

Biff
September 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I love seeing The Citadel up there. But, we capitalized on GSU mistakes and gutted out a game where GSU really played better. I would consider the win more of a fluke than a sign we are pushing the top 3. A win against App St. would dictate some big moves for us poll wise.

Ditto on your picks.

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I pick us at #5 behind ASU, Wofford, GSU and UTC. This was my pick at the preseason and it still stands.

Both The Citadel and GSU are going to greatly complicate the conference standings this year as we move through the season. Samford might well make noise, as well.

WataugaDave
September 9th, 2012, 07:42 AM
After Western's good effort against Marshall and Elon's recovery win vs NC Central, I think it'll be a good year for the SoCon. Even if we are still stuck with Furman and UTC xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Wofford is the best team now AFAIC. Not sold that the App. defense is quite as good as advertised.

One thing you you can be sure of with the GSU/El Cid game...both offenses are more difficult to stop than they appear to be in that game. I expect El Cid to score some points, but winning in Boone it probably too tall an order.

I would not dismiss Furman yet. Furman lost to Coastal last year and still made a good run in the SoCon. When they have their stuff together they can play with anyone in the league.

1. Wofford
2. App
3. GSU
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon
9. Western

cbarrier90
September 9th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Wofford is the best team now AFAIC. Not sold that the App. defense is quite as good as advertised.

One thing you you can be sure of with the GSU/El Cid game...both offenses are more difficult to stop than they appear to be in that game. I expect El Cid to score some points, but winning in Boone it probably too tall an order.

I would not dismiss Furman yet. Furman lost to Coastal last year and still made a good run in the SoCon. When they have their stuff together they can play with anyone in the league.

1. Wofford
2. App
3. GSU
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon
9. Western

I agree. Though ASU clearly had the most impressive win in the conference, you can't penalize Wofford if they didn't lose.

But by all means, keep this ASU team under-the-radar...

GlassOnion
September 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
1. App - Quality out of conference win
2. Wofford - Weak opponents thus far, but impressive
3. The Citadel - Biggest surprise in quite a while
4. GSU - Tripped up, but I expect them to start rolling again soon
5. Samford - If GSU'd have won, Id have these guys at #4.
6. Chattanooga - Theyre on the hot seat
7. Western - Elon and Furman probably surpass the Cats, but not with their current wins, go Catamounts!
8. Elon - UNC certainly doesnt look great, looks like a mediocre season for Elon
9. Furman - Will be a trip up game this season, hopefully back to prominence nest season.

asumike83
September 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM

1. Wofford
2. App
3. GSU
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Chattanooga
8. Elon
9. Western

Wofford is a very good team but I'm not ready to call them the best in the conference. I'll need to see them beat some stronger competition. The ASU defense struggled to stop the run in the first half but they really buckled down in the second. Dan Moore made an incredible 87-yard catch and run but otherwise, Montana only got 90 yards of offense in the half.

asumike83
September 9th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Rankings:
1) Appalachian State: Great win at home coupled with the GSU loss put them at the top for now.
2) Wofford: Two easy wins to start but I'll have to see them step up the competition before I put them at number one.
3) Georgia Southern: Surprising loss but Charleston is a tough place to play. Some solid App teams have barely escaped down there in recent years.
4) The Citadel: Great win at home, makes this weekend's game all the more interesting. If they can follow it up with a good performance in Boone, they will really move up.
5) Samford: The luster of the Furman win was diminished a little after they lost to Coastal but at 2-0, they've taken care of business so far.
6) Chattanooga: Excellent game by Huesman, disappointing loss to JSU. No shame in losing a close game at their place but UTC has to be disappointed with the defense.
7) Furman: I was very surprised to see them lose at home to Coastal. Are the Chanticleers that good or is it a bad loss? App will find out in a few weeks.
8) Elon: Good to see them take care of business against NCCU but we won't know what they've got until the week 4-6 gauntlet with GSU, Wofford and App.
9) Western Carolina: Put some points up at Marshall, played much better than WCU of the past. We will find out more about this team when they head to Spartanburg.

Predictions:
The Citadel @ Appalachian State: Bulldogs opened some eyes last weekend and hopefully, they have the ASU coaches' attention. Will not be easy but I like ASU at home.
Glenville State @ Chattanooga: UTC gets off the mat and throttles Glenville.
West Virginia State @ Elon: Phoenix should cruise, Mellette will have a field day.
Furman @ Clemson: After an 0-2 start, Furman heads to Death Valley. Good luck, my SoCon brethren.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb: Bulldogs hit the road for the first time with a 2-0 record, I like them to keep it rolling.
Western Carolina @ Wofford: Will be when we really see how much WCU has improved. I like Wofford but it may be closer than some expect.

Terrierforlife
September 9th, 2012, 10:30 AM
1. App
2. Citadel
3. Ga. So.
4. Samford
5. Terriers
6. Chatt
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western

Citadel over App
Chatt over Glenville
Elon over WVS
Clemson over Furman
Samford over Gardner Webb
Wofford over Western

LarryBoy
September 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM
The story for Furman is really the same as last year– the ability to play at an elite level, but the tendency to let frequent mental mistakes drag us down.

In two weeks:
-two muffed punts inside our own 20 that led immediately to TD's
-a 2-point conversion INT returned for 2 points on the other side (a play we've perfected)
-plenty of drive extending penalties on the defensive side
-blocked extra point

I could go on. On the positive side, even with such incredibly sloppy play, we've lost our two games by a combined 5 points to mediocre-to-good opponents (Samford being the "good"; hard to know with Coastal, though there's no arguing with Hillary's talent). But at the same time, those mental mistakes are not getting better, even after 14 games under Fowler, who we all hoped/believed to be a coach in the same vein as Bobby Johnson. That's not encouraging.

On the plus side: last year, Chris Forcier often pulled us up above those deficiencies. Yesterday, after a game and a half of mediocrity from Senior QB Dakota Derrick, true freshman Reese Hannon came in in the second half and was brilliant– 22-35, 255 yards, 4 TDs in the second half/OT alone. This looks to be a QB to build around. And under him, the team showed a ton of heart, nearly pulling out a miracle win.

Clearly this isn't Furman's year. But I definitely wouldn't sleep on them.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Meh, I think Wofford's for real this year, from what little I can see. I totally agree that we haven't beaten anybody this year though. With that said we did score 82 points and we run the option. We took the first teams out after the first quarter. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 2 weeks in we probably lead the nation in points scored, pass efficiency, and rushing yards. We should beat Western Carolina, because we have better personnel and we have no other game to look forward to with the bye following it.

Apphole
September 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Georgia Southern loses. Carolina loses. App wins big at home. Great day for App fans.

1. App State
2. Wofford
3. Georgia Southern
4. Citadel
5. UTC
6t. Samford
6t. Furman
8. Western
9. Elon

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
1) Appalachian State
2) Wofford
3) Citadel
4) Georgia Southern
5) Samford
6) Chattanooga
7) Elon
8) Furman
9) Western Carolina

Predictions
Glenville State @ Chattanooga
West Virginia State @ Elon
Furman @ Clemson
Samford @ Gardner-Webb
Western Carolina @ Wofford
Citadel @ Appalachian State

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
1) Appalachian State
2) Wofford
3) Citadel
4) Georgia Southern
5) Samford
6) Chattanooga
7) Elon
8) Furman
9) Western Carolina

Predictions
Furman @ Clemson
Samford @ Gardner-Webb
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State

SK- you have El CID too high.

And, you aren't playing Chatty this week. But I agree ASU will win.

walliver
September 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
1) ASU - they have lost a game, but against a decent FBS mid-major opponent
2) Wofford - two beat downs against overmatched opponents, but the offense is running very smoothly for this early in the season. Usually we struggle early in the season.
3) GSU - big loss, but GSU, even in their glory days, tends to struggle early with the offense, which usually peaks around late October and November.
4) Samford - too early to say much
5) The Citadel - big win, but it's early in the season (Their 2003 team beat ASU, GSU and FU early in the year and missed the playoffs).
6) Chattanooga - probably the best 0-2 team in the SoCon. Their season could go either way.
7) Furman - Still early in the year, but starting 0-2 puts them behind the 8-ball.
8) Elon - 1-1 should put above FU and Chatty, but at least FU and Chatty have played decent FCS opponents.
9) Western - when you start at the bottom, you have to win to move up. They may win a few games this year, but it will take time to rebuild that program.

To be honest, #'s 4-8 are really a toss-up.

Predictions:
Chattanooga over Glenville State by beacoups of points.
Elon wins easily over West Virginia State.
FU puts up a fight for one half, but Clemson runs away with the game in the second half.
Samford shuts down GW and wins by 14.
Georgia Southern shuts out Open Date.
Citadel puts up a good fight, but ASU defends their home artificial surface and wins by 14 (although there is a chance this app could open this game up).
Wofford holds off Western, scoring less than 82 points, but wins by 17.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2012, 12:50 PM
1) Appalachian State
2) Wofford
3) Citadel
4) Georgia Southern

TOcon
xlolx

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
SK- you have El CID too high.

And, you aren't playing Chatty this week. But I agree ASU will win.

Yeah, copy and paste fail.

And, I'm just basing the rankings on games played so far... not necessarily where I think they'll end up. I can't put Georgia Southern above Citadel atm... though, in all likelihood, Georgia Southern will end up above the Citadel.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
The story for Furman is really the same as last year– the ability to play at an elite level, but the tendency to let frequent mental mistakes drag us down.

In two weeks:
-two muffed punts inside our own 20 that led immediately to TD's
-a 2-point conversion INT returned for 2 points on the other side (a play we've perfected)
-plenty of drive extending penalties on the defensive side
-blocked extra point

I could go on. On the positive side, even with such incredibly sloppy play, we've lost our two games by a combined 5 points to mediocre-to-good opponents (Samford being the "good"; hard to know with Coastal, though there's no arguing with Hillary's talent). But at the same time, those mental mistakes are not getting better, even after 14 games under Fowler, who we all hoped/believed to be a coach in the same vein as Bobby Johnson. That's not encouraging.

On the plus side: last year, Chris Forcier often pulled us up above those deficiencies. Yesterday, after a game and a half of mediocrity from Senior QB Dakota Derrick, true freshman Reese Hannon came in in the second half and was brilliant– 22-35, 255 yards, 4 TDs in the second half/OT alone. This looks to be a QB to build around. And under him, the team showed a ton of heart, nearly pulling out a miracle win.

Clearly this isn't Furman's year. But I definitely wouldn't sleep on them.

Pretty much the way I see it. Furman got terrible quarterback play against Samford and the first half of Coastal. I would be beside myself if the Paladins don't run Hannon out there as a starter against Presbyterian in two weeks. Derrick has some talent, but like with Cody Worley a few years ago, if you are a 5th year senior without many starts to that point, there's usually a reason.

Hannon is the future. He's clearly talented and torched a Coastal defense that looked like the '75 Steelers through much of the first half. Frankly, if you can throw for 255 yards and 4 touchdowns in a downpour, I'm anxious to see what you can do on a clear day. I'm just not sure Furman can win with Derrick under center right now. The Paladins did not have a "warm up" game this year, and has had to play two pretty good teams right out of the gate. If you can't trust the signal caller against good teams, then it's time to make a change.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I know one thing. After this loss, I feel sorry for Bye this week.

We're gonna **** them up.

ElCid
September 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
1. App State - easy choice with win against Montana
2. Wofford - appears as solid as ever, but no proof given schedule to date
3. GSU - even with loss, they are still top 3
4. Samford - still think they are being under rated a bit by folks, we will see how they do on the road
5. The Citadel - I wish I could say higher but until we become consistent, can't move into top tier. Even a one score loss in Boone would even move them up one, maybe two spots
6. Chattanooga - heartbreak team that just can't pull out wins when needed
7. Furman - maybe the new QB can reverse trend, but not yet
8. Elon - got a win, but you better win if you get +3 in turnovers, win was not impressive
9. W. Carolina - still down, but gap is closing

Predictions
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - Chatt gets first win in big way 48-3
West Virginia State @ Elon - Elon gets a big win 45-10
Furman @ Clemson - poor Paladins, after watching Clemson on Saturday, it will not be close, they score 60 if they want to
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - Road test, they win 38-17
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 48-20
Citadel @ Appalachian State - As much as I wish this will be close, I think am not yet convinced the Dogs have turned the corner. Pass defense will be an issue for the dogs as they have not faced a serious pass threat in first two games. 38-17

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
1. App State - easy choice with win against Montana
2. Wofford - appears as solid as ever, but no proof given schedule to date
3. GSU - even with loss, they are still top 3
4. Samford - still think they are being under rated a bit by folks, we will see how they do on the road
5. The Citadel - I wish I could say higher but until we become consistent, can't move into top tier. Even a one score loss in Boone would even move them up one, maybe two spots
6. Chattanooga - heartbreak team that just can't pull out wins when needed
7. Furman - maybe the new QB can reverse trend, but not yet
8. Elon - got a win, but you better win if you get +3 in turnovers, win was not impressive
9. W. Carolina - still down, but gap is closing

Predictions
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - Chatt gets first win in big way 48-3
West Virginia State @ Elon - Elon gets a big win 45-10
Furman @ Clemson - poor Paladins, after watching Clemson on Saturday, it will not be close, they score 60 if they want to
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - Road test, they win 38-17
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 48-20
Citadel @ Appalachian State - As much as I wish this will be close, I think am not yet convinced the Dogs have turned the corner. Pass defense will be an issue for the dogs as they have not faced a serious pass threat in first two games. 38-17

Switch Samford with Chatty and that would be my guess at this stage.

GaelsFootball
September 10th, 2012, 12:32 AM
The Citadel @ Appalachian State
Furman @ Clemson
Samford @ Gardner-Webb

0-0 on season; going to jump in here a little late

fc97
September 10th, 2012, 06:52 AM
to be fair to elon, the win was not impressive, but it was 31-0 at halftime and most of the starters did not go back in. and i question the coaching staff for that call.

interesting will be this week. wv state lost to A&T 77-0. we may be having a down year, but i dont see us being worse than a&t. if we dont win big, the team and coaching should be questioned.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM
1. App State - Looking sharp.
2. Wofford - Looking sharp also.
3. the Citadel - You are dreaming if you don't think these guys are for real.
4. GSU - If GSU can't fix their fumble problems, they may face a couple more losses.
5. Samford - Still middle of the pack
6. Chattanooga - At some point, Huseman needs to answer why his team cannot win close games.
7. Furman - Tough first two games. Get past Clemson and re-evaluate.
8. Elon - Unimpressive so far.
9. W. Carolina - Improving.

Predictions
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - Won't be close.
West Virginia State @ Elon - Won't be close.
Furman @ Clemson - Won't be close unless Clemson is napping and doesn't watch the Florida film.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - Samford is the favorite, but Sammy needs to prove it can win on the road.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - Won't be close.
Citadel @ Appalachian State - App State historically struggles with the option. Both teams had big games the week before, so both are coming in equally prepared. Bulldogs need to do what they did against GSU, keep it close til the fourth and see what happens.

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Citadel
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Chattanooga
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. W. Carolina

Predictions
Glenville State 14-52 Chattanooga
West Virginia State 7-52 Elon
Furman 20-48 Clemson
Samford 32-6 Gardner-Webb
Western Carolina 21-42 Wofford
Citadel 21-26 Appalachian State

Smitty
September 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Furman @ Clemson
Samford @ Gardner-Webb
The Citadel @ Appalachian State

T-Dog
September 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Too early for predictions. Maybe later. But for now, read what I write. Looking back at Montana and looking forward to The Citadel.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: PAT’s, Double Rainbows and Triple Options (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeepdrato/)

cannonballgsu
September 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Citadel
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Chattanooga
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. W. Carolina

Predictions
Glenville State 14-52 Chattanooga
West Virginia State 7-52 Elon
Furman 20-48 Clemson
Samford 32-6 Gardner-Webb
Western Carolina 21-42 Wofford
Citadel 21-26 Appalachian State

Not sure if you forgot to change your rankings?

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Not sure if you forgot to change your rankings?
These are correct from the rankings system I employ.

md64179
September 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
1. Wofford
2. ASU
3. El Cid
4. GSU
5. Samford
6. UTC
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. WCU

This weeks games:
UTC
ELON
CLEMSON
SAMFORD
WOFFORD
ASU

StorminASU
September 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
These are correct from the rankings system I employ.

Looks like you might want to change your rankings system then

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Looks like you might want to change your rankings system then
Give it time.

Apps03
September 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Give it time.

So your system is how you think it will look at the end of the season?

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
So your system is how you think it will look at the end of the season?
Correct. I don't see another way to do it.

Apps03
September 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM

No issue with that. GSU could certainly still win the conference and I appsolutely wouldn't bet against it at this point in the season. I would be curious to hear why you think App will finish 4th in the conference, something that has only happened twice in 20+ years. If that's your system, there really isn't a reason to argue at this point because any of it is possible.

Apphole
September 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM

And you think El Cid will finish 3rd in front of App?

So I guess you don't think too highly of Montana or FBS ECU then. Keep in mind we get Chisholm back in 3 weeks.

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I would be curious to hear why you think App will finish 4th in the conference, something that has only happened twice in 20+ years.
First, this is a power ranking and not conference standings.

Looking at projected conference standing, the system I employ offers the following.
1.Georgia Southern 7-1
2.Samford 6-2
3.Chattanooga 5-3* (win over Samford)
4.Appalachian State 5-3*
5.Wofford 5-3*
6.Citadel 4-4
7.Furman 3-5
8.Elon 1-7
9.WCU 0-8

*UTC 24-20 ASU
ASU 31-28 Wofford
Wofford 28-24 UTC

cannonballgsu
September 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Looking at projected conference standing, the system I employ offers the following.
1.Georgia Southern 7-1
2.Samford 6-2
3.Appalachian State 5-3* (win over GSU)
4.Wofford 5-3*
5.Chattanooga 5-3*
6.Citadel 4-4
7.Furman 3-5
8.Elon 1-7
9.WCU 0-8

*UTC 24-20 ASU
ASU 31-28 Wofford
Wofford 28-24 UTC

GSU can't go 7-1 and Lose two conference games.

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM
GSU can't go 7-1 and Lose two conference games.
Trouble with doing things on paper. I fixed it. Sorry. :)

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM

1.Georgia Southern 7-1
2.Samford 6-2
3.Chattanooga 5-3* (win over Samford)
4.Appalachian State 5-3*
5.Wofford 5-3*
6.Citadel 4-4
7.Furman 3-5
8.Elon 1-7
9.WCU 0-8

*UTC 24-20 ASU
ASU 31-28 Wofford
Wofford 28-24 UTC

The way Wofford's schedule shakes up, I highly doubt we'll lose 3 conference games this year. Scheduling-wise, we have the perfect storm. I doubt we'll look over any of our next 3 opponents. I like our chances in those games. Regardless of what happens in Boone or Statesboro, I just don't see us finishing 7-4 in light of that start.

Apphole
September 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
The way Wofford's schedule shakes up, I highly doubt we'll lose 3 conference games this year. Scheduling-wise, we have the perfect storm. I doubt we'll look over any of our next 3 opponents. I like our chances in those games. Regardless of what happens in Boone or Statesboro, I just don't see us finishing 7-4 in light of that start.

You expect any growing pains moving from cupcakes to tough conference games pretty suddenly?

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The way Wofford's schedule shakes up, I highly doubt we'll lose 3 conference games this year.
Here's what the system I employ predicts.
WCU 21-42 Wofford
Wofford 34-28 Elon
Furman 30-37 Wofford
Wofford 24-31 GSU
Wofford 28-31 ASU
Citadel 24-29 Wofford
Wofford 23-24 Samford
UTC 24-28 Wofford

fc97
September 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
and massey unbiased computer ranking of strength so far

1- gsu
2- wofford
3- the citadel
4- app
5- samford
6- utc

-big divide-

7- furman
8- elon

-bigger divide-

9 western carolina

western is doing pretty good. elon's the worst league team this year.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
You expect any growing pains moving from cupcakes to tough conference games pretty suddenly?

I do not think it matters for Wofford. They run a tight ship, don't make a lot of errors, and probably only improve by tuning up with easier opponents.

Let me put it this way, I would have loved to have had Presbyterian in week one instead of week four. A few warm up pitches before throwing to a tough hitter would be appreciated. Everyone else has had either a "cupcake" game or a "nothing to lose" game to get the jitters out. It is certainly no excuse, but playing critical games right out of the chute is less desirable than having a week or two to make adjustments and improvements.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Well no, I just don't see us losing to Western this week, nor do I see us losing to Elon in 2 weeks due to the bye, nor do I see us losing to Furman at home after what they did to us last year. We are more talented at RB this year, we have a dangerous pass game for once, and our defense is still rock solid.

Think of it worst case scenario, if we start 5-0, drop App state and GSU, (being 5-2) do you really think we'd lose to the citadel, samford and Chattanooga with the playoffs on the line (and 2 of those 3 being at home).

We're better than we were last year, so I'd say 7-4 is sandbagging.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Here's what the system I employ predicts.
WCU 21-42 Wofford
Wofford 34-28 Elon
Furman 30-37 Wofford
Wofford 24-31 GSU
Wofford 28-31 ASU
Citadel 24-29 Wofford
Wofford 23-24 Samford
UTC 24-28 Wofford

Lolz, an equation for predicting scores? Get real. Every single one of those games, except western has us winning by a TD or less. Looking at the history books, last year we beat most of our opponents by like 3 scores, and we're practically the same team and I would wager we're a better team.

Pardon my skepticism.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I do not think it matters for Wofford. They run a tight ship, don't make a lot of errors, and probably only improve by tuning up with easier opponents.

Let me put it this way, I would have loved to have had Presbyterian in week one instead of week four. A few warm up pitches before throwing to a tough hitter would be appreciated. Everyone else has had either a "cupcake" game or a "nothing to lose" game to get the jitters out. It is certainly no excuse, but playing critical games right out of the chute is less desirable than having a week or two to make adjustments and improvements.

What this guy said. Look I'm not going to go the Furmanwins route and predict a Socon championship, etc, etc I've been on here too long and have eaten too much crow in the past to learn that doing so more often than not turns against your favor.

What I will say is that this team is balanced and talented, particularly on offense. We NEVER score 80 points on anyone, NAIA, D2, etc, but we did the other day. It's a shame too, we took the first teams out after the first quarter and they still couldn't stop us because we had a deep talented and young corp of running backs. I don't know how we rank in that department in comparison to other teams in being the "best", but I think we probably have the deepest of them all. We had 5 freshmen carry the ball, and we still have 2 of the conference's leading rusher as well as 2 other running backs from last year. We also have a pass game that is 10x is more accurate than last year.

So, I am confident in our chances, if anything for the aforementioned reasons but also because of the way the schedule shakes up. The boldest prediction i will make is that if we start 6-0 or 6-1, I really like our playoff chances.

Jiggs
September 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Chattanooga
5. Georgia Southern
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. W. Carolina

Predictions
Glenville State Chattanooga
West Virginia State Elon
Furman Clemson
Samford Gardner-Webb
Western Carolina Wofford
Citadel Appalachian State

The Cats
September 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM
1. App
2. GSU - the Eagles will be ready to play every game after the next two weeks
3. Wofford - untested, but till someone beats them
4. Samford - favorable schedule
5. The Citadel - much improved, this week will tell if last week was just a fluke
6. Chattanooga - Mocs get some breathing room this week
6. Furman - after Clemson, panic city
8. Western - improvements, sparkle city will show just how much
9. Elon - has a breather this week

Predictions
Glenville State - Chattanooga
West Virginia State - Elon
Furman - Clemson
Samford - Gardner-Webb
Western Carolina - Wofford
Citadel - Appalachian State

Apphole
September 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well no, I just don't see us losing to Western this week, nor do I see us losing to Elon in 2 weeks due to the bye, nor do I see us losing to Furman at home after what they did to us last year. We are more talented at RB this year, we have a dangerous pass game for once, and our defense is still rock solid.

Think of it worst case scenario, if we start 5-0, drop App state and GSU, (being 5-2) do you really think we'd lose to the citadel, samford and Chattanooga with the playoffs on the line (and 2 of those 3 being at home).

We're better than we were last year, so I'd say 7-4 is sandbagging.

Didn't realize you had two more cupcakes coming up. Talk about a polarized schedule...

StorminASU
September 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Didn't realize you had two more cupcakes coming up. Talk about a polarized schedule...

+1

I suppose Wofford does look good right now; opening against two high school teams will give you that confidence

Mountaineer
September 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
youngterrier is generally pretty fair when it comes to Wofford. I'll take his word about the ability of the Terrier offense and defense, for now anyway. ;)

And really, App can't gloat too much when we've feasted on a steady diet of Jacksonville, Savannah State, North Carolina Central and Lenoir Rhyne over the past years. If anything, this years home schedule is an anomaly. :o

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM
The opening 4 games, possibly 5 for Wofford, is the weakest opening schedule I think Ive ever seen. It will be interesting watching to see if it pays off and they gel before the hard games, or they just get beat up in the second half the season, and show up in the playoffs dinged up.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Oh come on guys, our schedule could be much worse. Playing 3 SoCon teams in our first 5 games is not "the weakest opening schedule" ever. Gardner Webb is a big South team and self evidently bad but really they aren't THAT bad. Yeah, Lincoln was terrible, but we always schedule a weak one early (and the reason we're on our high horse is because normally we have a hard time scoring more than 40 any game regardless of the competition, including NAIA opponents, but in this case we could have scored 200 on these jokers if we kept our starting offense and defense on the field for the whole game).

Elon is a good team and a solid team, they're just turnover prone, and that's what kills them. When they get in a rhythm they are hard to beat, just ask Furman and UTC in the last couple years. I like our chances against them by virtue of the fact that we have a week to prepare and the fact that both teams have roughly the same amount of 3 and outs, I'd favor the team that runs the ball predominantly because of ball control purposes.

Furman can beat anyone in the Socon, they just have a terrible history as of late of only getting up to play the big boys. I don't think they are as good as last year though, for what few players they lost were huge contributors.

And Western I think is going to be improved by virtue of a new coaching staff, but again, I think our scheduling gives us the advantage in terms of preparation. I may be too generous to them, but I'll take the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying Wofford is going to waltz in and beat everyone by 80, heck I'm not even predicting scores, I just think we have the talent to run with anyone in the conference and all of the ingredients of a very good team are there with talent, depth, experience, etc.

The only predictions you'll get out of me this week is A)I think we'll win this week B)I think our chances of starting 5-0 are pretty good and C)if we beat GSU or App State (or if we're lucky enough to beat both) I think we'll make the playoffs.

Skjellyfetti
September 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Garner Webb, Lincoln, and WCU is pretty damn close to the "easiest opening schedule ever."

So far a combined 1-5.

Worst loss: Cheyney University of Pennsylvania by 2 scores
Best (only) win: Mars Hill

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Claim 3 Socon games if you want, they just happen to be the three weakest Socon teams. Its not like the Wof admin could have known that Elon and Furman would crap their trousers this early in the season.

Smitty
September 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Garner Webb, Lincoln, and WCU is pretty damn close to the "easiest opening schedule ever."

So far a combined 1-5.

Worst loss: Cheyney University of Pennsylvania by 2 scores
Best (only) win: Mars Hill

Wow it is weird seeing that list and realizing that WCU is the best part of it!

walliver
September 10th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Claim 3 Socon games if you want, they just happen to be the three weakest Socon teams. Its not like the Wof admin could have known that Elon and Furman would crap their trousers this early in the season.

Actually the SoCon schedule is set by the conference, although teams can make changes. No individual school has much control over its conference schedule.

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Actually the SoCon schedule is set by the conference, although teams can make changes. No individual school has much control over its conference schedule.

Yes, but you'd think if the Woffy admin had known how weak the first part of the Socon schedule was, theyd have scheduled a better OOC game.

So, what happens if Wofford loses to both App and GSU, not out of the realm of possibility, then has a loss at South Carolina? 8-3 with zero quality wins on the playoff resume, do they get "Woffed' in the selection process? Prolly not with expanded playoffs, but send them to Montana, hell yes.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Furman is weak? They almost won the conference last year? Elon is weak? Their offense scores points at will when they don't turn the ball over. I mean, come on, historically speaking the cellar-dwellers have been Citadel, Western, and maybe Samford, but Elon and Furman have been in the middle of the pack consistently. Furman lost to CCU last year too but they beat App, Wofford, and UTC, 3 of the top 4 teams., and Elon beat them, so I don't see how you can make the case that we have a weak Socon opening schedule this early. The best case you can make for that is that so far said teams haven't impressed (and we literally know nothing about Elon given the circumstances).

We're 2 weeks in, and if Furman had 7 more points on the board the last couple games they would be 2-0 and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Furman is weak? They almost won the conference last year? Elon is weak? Their offense scores points at will when they don't turn the ball over. I mean, come on, historically speaking the cellar-dwellers have been Citadel, Western, and maybe Samford, but Elon and Furman have been in the middle of the pack consistently. Furman lost to CCU last year too but they beat App, Wofford, and UTC, 3 of the top 4 teams., and Elon beat them, so I don't see how you can make the case that we have a weak Socon opening schedule this early. The best case you can make for that is that so far said teams haven't impressed (and we literally know nothing about Elon given the circumstances).

We're 2 weeks in, and if Furman had 7 more points on the board the last couple games they would be 2-0 and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Thread title: 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 3.

I've seen nothing from either FU or Elon as of yet that allows me to believe they arent at the bottom of the pile. FU does not look as good as last year.

CID1990
September 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I mean, come on, historically speaking the cellar-dwellers have been Citadel, Western, and maybe Samford

If by historically you mean since the SoCon added Elon and Samford, then yeah.

But historically speaking means a longer period of time for many of us, and El Cid has historically been middle of the pack. When I was in college Wofford was not yet I-AA and they were "historically" El Cid's and Furman's whipping boy, along with Presby and Newberry.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I say "who cares?"

If you don't have a tough front end of the schedule, you will sure enough have a tough back end. We all play the same number of conference games.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, but you'd think if the Woffy admin had known how weak the first part of the Socon schedule was, theyd have scheduled a better OOC game.

So, what happens if Wofford loses to both App and GSU, not out of the realm of possibility, then has a loss at South Carolina? 8-3 with zero quality wins on the playoff resume, do they get "Woffed' in the selection process? Prolly not with expanded playoffs, but send them to Montana, hell yes.

Lame argument is lame. I hope you're trolling. 8-3 in the Socon with losses to playoff teams and a pretty darn good FBS team is nothing to shame at. We'd have 7 D1 wins and the playoff field is ever expanding to where teams with 7 D1 wins are harder and harder to come by, and with the Socon being a top 3 conference, no way we don't get into the playoffs at 8-3.

I mean really, the scenario you just played out probably describes every at-large bid that isn't from the CAA. I mean outside of 1 or 2 heavy hitters through the conference schedule, many playoff teams don't have the "schedule" to get "quality wins"

Now, our OOC is kind of weak, no doubt about that, but this whole notion that an 8-3 Socon team would squeeze in is laughable. This year is no different. We've only hosted a first round game once in our 5 appearances and we were seeded in that bracket, so I don't see our schedule effecting "where we go" too much differently this year because we're probably going on the road anyway if we don't win the conference outright and get a seed.

Saint3333
September 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
8-3 in the SoCon makes the playoffs now with the added teams, even with zero quality wins. Another reason I dislike expansion.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thread title: 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 3.

I've seen nothing from either FU or Elon as of yet that allows me to believe they arent at the bottom of the pile. FU does not look as good as last year.

Even though from a W-L perspective, they look exactly the same in terms of teams they've lost to/beaten?

Also, by your criteria, GSU should be down there seeing as they haven't beaten a D1 team either. At least Wofford can say that.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM

But historically speaking means a longer period of time for many of us, and El Cid has historically been middle of the pack. When I was in college Wofford was not yet I-AA and they were "historically" El Cid's and Furman's whipping boy, along with Presby and Newberry.

I don't needed to be reminded about the long memories of Citadel fans.

1861 was just yesterday wasn't it ;)

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I say "who cares?"

If you don't have a tough front end of the schedule, you will sure enough have a tough back end. We all play the same number of conference games.

The part that matters is strength of schedule. The Socon doesnt look strong enough to put 3 in the playoffs. Lucky for us the playoffs expand every year. Furman certainly dropped the ball for the Socon losing to the Big South.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Furman has a slight 24 game lead over Wofford all time.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM
The part that matters is strength of schedule. The Socon doesnt look strong enough to put 3 in the playoffs. Lucky for us the playoffs expand every year. Furman certainly dropped the ball for the Socon losing to the Big South.

We carried the flag for a while. Everyone has to rebuild at some point.

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Even though from a W-L perspective, they look exactly the same in terms of teams they've lost to/beaten?

What do you want? FU is 0-2, period. Havent even hit the meat of their schedule. Elon was dreadful against a Carolina team that has lost to WFU, and their only win came against a team that should have been far outclassed.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM

so basically you're saying "**** HISTORY I SAY WHAT I WANT!!!!"

We got 3 in the last 2 years. We were one win away from 4 last year, had the furples beat Elon. It's week 2. Most teams have only played one game as a barometer so you're lame predictions are kind of lame because we still don't know enough about anybody just yet.

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
We carried the flag for a while. Everyone has to rebuild at some point.

No doubt, but in the 1st 2 games, FU looks weak. It may change, but with the best teams ahead of you, its a tough road.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
What do you want? FU is 0-2, period. Havent even hit the meat of their schedule. Elon was dreadful against a Carolina team that has lost to WFU, and their only win came against a team that should have been far outclassed.

Elon played a UNC team that runs the same offense, superior athletes, and a whole offseason to prepare. Not to mention their historical mediocrity against NC teams. It was the perfect storm. They beat a team they were supposed to by 3 scores, and I think they were up by 4, what more can you ask for?

You're laying out the same criticism against Furman that they had last year, and they still went on a run and came very close to making the playoffs. Your point is null.

CID1990
September 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I don't needed to be reminded about the long memories of Citadel fans.

1861 was just yesterday wasn't it ;)

Nope I'm talking as late as the 1980s and 90s but then I know the 80s are to you what the 50s are to me! ;)

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
so basically you're saying "**** HISTORY I SAY WHAT I WANT!!!!"

We got 3 in the last 2 years. We were one win away from 4 last year, had the furples beat Elon. It's week 2. Most teams have only played one game as a barometer so you're lame predictions are kind of lame because we still don't know enough about anybody just yet.

The only thing lame here is Wofford's schedule. The first 4 for sure are very very weak. It looks like the beginning of a Ga St or UNCC schedule.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM
The only thing lame here is Wofford's schedule. The first 4 for sure are very very weak. It looks like the beginning of a Ga St or UNCC schedule.

Lame argument is lameeeeeeeeee.

Just keep backpedalling from your terrible initial statements about the SoCon being weak.

eaglewraith
September 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Also, by your criteria, GSU should be down there seeing as they haven't beaten a D1 team either. At least Wofford can say that.

Yes, Georgia State hasn't beaten a D1 team yet, but they're not in our conference...so what's your point?

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yes, Georgia State hasn't beaten a D1 team yet, but they're not in our conference...so what's your point?

I thought it was taboo to even imply calling Georgia State GSU in Georgia Southern circles?

ASU_Fanatic
September 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM
1. Appalachian State - haters hang your heads
2. Wofford - fundamentally sound like a Patriot
3. Citadel - they ready to compete, no cole
4. Georgia Southern - Jets have better QBs right now, they'll creep back up in the top 3 but not right now
5. Chattanooga - they will still be decent
6. Samford - for some reason I'm not sold on them yet
7. Furman - really disappointing so far
8. WCU - they are better than Elon, the Swagamounts are gonna win at least 3 games this year
9. Elon - they suck

WCU 24 - Wofford 38 (21-21 after three, book it)
Glenville State 3 - Chattanooga 41
West Virginia State 17 - Elon 55
Furman 10 - Clemson 45
Samford 20 - G-Webb 17
Citadel 31 - Appalachian State 33

Citadel-App is going to be amazing and WCU will give Wofford a scare, they are young but have a lot of talent.

fc97
September 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
haha

these arguments against the wofford schedule by the appies are real funny, i mean, people make these arguments against them the past two years and the arguments change

in the end, arguing with these types is a waste of time, whatever it takes to make app 1 and everyone else suck. and the bigger the team they hate, the worst the come up with reasons to kick them.

its either power rankings based on history of how they want to be viewed, or power rankings on where they think theyll be in 8 weeks.

save your breathe wofford fans

Saint3333
September 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM
App fans have complained about our OOC games for years.

Fc you still got App at 6 in the power rankings this week, missed your rankings this week?

Mountaineer
September 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM
fc97 = gophoenix in (a terrible) disguise? xblehx

cbarrier90
September 10th, 2012, 09:50 PM
haha

these arguments against the wofford schedule by the appies are real funny, i mean, people make these arguments against them the past two years and the arguments change

in the end, arguing with these types is a waste of time, whatever it takes to make app 1 and everyone else suck. and the bigger the team they hate, the worst the come up with reasons to kick them.

its either power rankings based on history of how they want to be viewed, or power rankings on where they think theyll be in 8 weeks.

Give me one reason to keep App anywhere outside the Top 2...

Let the hate flow through you, man...

CID1990
September 10th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I can fathom no lucid argument as to why ASU should not currently be number 1 in the SoCon power rankings at this stage in the season. They beat Montana, and played ECU tough.

These early and mid season rankings are ridiculous anyway. Every team will play every other team, and the two or three with the best records will play in December.

apaladin
September 10th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I have a little renewed hope for FU after watching our new QB throw 2 TD passes in the last 2 mins of regulation and 2 more in the 3 OT's. FU could easily be 2-0 instead of 0-2 but we would still not be very good. Like I said I do have some hope if the freshman QB is as good as he looked Saturday.

chattownmocs
September 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Watched the App game on ESPN3. Not a very high quality game. You could tell that Montana was playing only their 2nd game with basically a whole new team. With what developed this week these would have to be the power rankings.

1. Wofford- They haven't done anything to confirm they are number 1, but others have shown they aren't. Wofford is the only logical choice here unless you buy into the app/griz hype.

2. Appalachian State- They took care of business against a team in complete rebuilding mode and played tough against a terrible East Carolina team. This normally wouldn't be a recipe for a number 2 ranking but clearly the SOCON is down this year, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

3. Chattanooga- It was a bad loss because of how the defense played. Those 2 backs had a field day against a defense that couldn't tackle or fill the gaps properly. At the end of the day they still only gave up 20 points and shown they can dominate in the past. This defense will play better from here on out. Jacob Huesman showed the type of QB he can be. He is a true dual threat. If he is given the nod as the main guy this offense can take off.

4. Georgia Southern- An option vs another Option team means virtually nothing. Georgia Southern is still the much more dangerous and powerful team.

5. Samford- Nice little team.

6. The Citadel- Still a pretty bad team. Option vs Option means nothing.

7. Furman- Down from last year. Same results to this point, lesser talent to turn it around.

8. Elon- Have a pulse because they will be able to throw the ball.

9. Western Carolina- One of the only teams to improve, but not enough.

fc97
September 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM
App fans have complained about our OOC games for years.

Fc you still got App at 6 in the power rankings this week, missed your rankings this week?

right now the top is too close to call. wofford with the domination on weak schedule, app with a rough loss then a good win, or gsu with a dominant win then a good loss. so, the answer is no, this is how a power ranking system works, it balances out under performance week to week.

whats a gophoenix in disguise mean, is that something about me being an elon fan?

I-16Bandit
September 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I thought it was taboo to even imply calling Georgia State GSU in Georgia Southern circles?

I think he is trying to say that Jacksonville is a D1 team. Georgia Southern has beaten a D1 team.

Quality D1? No...

ASUMountaineer
September 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Watched the App game on ESPN3. Not a very high quality game. You could tell that Montana was playing only their 2nd game with basically a whole new team. With what developed this week these would have to be the power rankings.

1. Wofford- They haven't done anything to confirm they are number 1, but others have shown they aren't. Wofford is the only logical choice here unless you buy into the app/griz hype.

2. Appalachian State- They took care of business against a team in complete rebuilding mode and played tough against a terrible East Carolina team. This normally wouldn't be a recipe for a number 2 ranking but clearly the SOCON is down this year, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

3. Chattanooga- It was a bad loss because of how the defense played. Those 2 backs had a field day against a defense that couldn't tackle or fill the gaps properly. At the end of the day they still only gave up 20 points and shown they can dominate in the past. This defense will play better from here on out. Jacob Huesman showed the type of QB he can be. He is a true dual threat. If he is given the nod as the main guy this offense can take off.

4. Georgia Southern- An option vs another Option team means virtually nothing. Georgia Southern is still the much more dangerous and powerful team.

5. Samford- Nice little team.

6. The Citadel- Still a pretty bad team. Option vs Option means nothing.

7. Furman- Down from last year. Same results to this point, lesser talent to turn it around.

8. Elon- Have a pulse because they will be able to throw the ball.

9. Western Carolina- One of the only teams to improve, but not enough.

Moral victories = #3 ranking
Actual victory (over #3 team) = #6 rating

I totally see your point.

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Apparently the fans think a couple of teams are weak too. Only 2 games featuring Socon teams drew more than 8,000, The Apps and the Citadel. Wofford despite awesome dominance, brought a mind numbing 4300 into the gate on Saturday.

asumike83
September 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
haha

I don't recall App fans being anything less than critical of our OOC schedules, particularly last year. It was terrible. We scheduled an FBS, NC A&T and Savannah State. We were criticized and rightfully so. Even Coach Moore publicly questioned it.

This year, Wofford has an FBS, Garnder-Webb and a DII. They are also deserving of criticism because along with playing weak teams, they hurt their playoff chances by putting a DII on there. If I were a Wofford fan, I would be upset.

Saint3333
September 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
right now the top is too close to call. wofford with the domination on weak schedule, app with a rough loss then a good win, or gsu with a dominant win then a good loss. so, the answer is no, this is how a power ranking system works, it balances out under performance week to week.

whats a gophoenix in disguise mean, is that something about me being an elon fan?

That BEEP BEEP BEEP sound you hear is some of the best backtracking I've seen on here.

Jiggs
September 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I mean, come on, historically speaking the cellar-dwellers have been Citadel, Western, and maybe Samford, but Elon and Furman have been in the middle of the pack consistently.

Samford since joining the SoCon:

2008 - 4th
2009 - 6th
2010 - 7th
2011 - 5th

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I think he is trying to say that Jacksonville is a D1 team. Georgia Southern has beaten a D1 team.

Quality D1? No...
my bad.....I knew you guys played a team with less schollies, but I couldn't place who it was, so I just assumed it was sub D1.

My apologies.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Apparently the fans think a couple of teams are weak too. Only 2 games featuring Socon teams drew more than 8,000, The Apps and the Citadel. Wofford despite awesome dominance, brought a mind numbing 4300 into the gate on Saturday.

In a game against a D2 opponent in which it was thunderstorming all day.....I didn't expect a lot of people to come anyway.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I don't recall App fans being anything less than critical of our OOC schedules, particularly last year. It was terrible. We scheduled an FBS, NC A&T and Savannah State. We were criticized and rightfully so. Even Coach Moore publicly questioned it.

This year, Wofford has an FBS, Garnder-Webb and a DII. They are also deserving of criticism because along with playing weak teams, they hurt their playoff chances by putting a DII on there. If I were a Wofford fan, I would be upset.

Not that I'm not disappointed by the schedule, but it's hard to be when we've scheduled like this for the last 5 years +. We always play an NAIA or D2 team, an FBS money game, and a Big South Game. I won't complain about it until we have a decent team and finish 7-4 without a playoff berth. I'd still like to see a better schedule though, preferably with 2 Big South teams.

citdog
September 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
In a game against a D2 opponent in which it was thunderstorming all day.....I didn't expect a lot of people to come anyway.

worst defeat for anyone named lincoln since Cold Harbor

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Samford since joining the SoCon:

2008 - 4th
2009 - 6th
2010 - 7th
2011 - 5th

Out of 9 teams, you've only been in the top 4 once, and in the bottom 4 twice. Case in point.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM
worst defeat for anyone named lincoln since Cold Harbor

We did our best John Wilkes Booth impression.

CID1990
September 11th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Moral victories = #3 ranking
Actual victory (over #3 team) = #6 rating

I totally see your point.

Dude.

Would you argue with a parrot that was trained to say "Chatty's da best! Chatty's da best!"?

That's what you are doing. Guy's just Seantaylor with diarrhea of the mouth.

That said, right now I would put us in about 4th or 5th place in the conference, behind ASU, Wofford and GSU, with Chatty and El Cid being interchangeable in the 4th spot.

ASUMountaineer
September 11th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Dude.

Would you argue with a parrot that was trained to say "Chatty's da best! Chatty's da best!"?

That's what you are doing. Guy's just Seantaylor with diarrhea of the mouth.

That said, right now I would put us in about 4th or 5th place in the conference, behind ASU, Wofford and GSU, with Chatty and El Cid being interchangeable in the 4th spot.

xlolx Dude! No arguing, just poking the bear (though, not Dback style). Recognize the difference.

I'm surprised you took your precious time to make such a useless post. But, I do appreciate the heads-up on my actions. xthumbsupx

cbarrier90
September 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
We did our best John Wilkes Booth impression.

But when ASU beats Wofford 70-24, we cry "THAT'S NOT SPORTSMANSHIP!"

Pot meet kettle.

blueballs
September 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Based on the results to date:

1. App
2. Citadel
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. GSU
6. WCU
7. Chatty
8. Furman
9. Elon

SU_IT_able
September 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Out of 9 teams, you've only been in the top 4 once, and in the bottom 4 twice. Case in point.

Exactly. And it's a pretty weak case for labeling us as a cellar dwellar. Most folks would call a cellar dweller a last or maybe next to last place finisher. I'll even give you a bottom third finish which has happened exactly one time when we finished 7th. If you'd said we've been mediocre, that's another question & unfortunately one that would be hard to dispute. This year I like our chances to balance out that solitary 7th place finish with a top 3 placing at season's end. Time will tell, but we've yet to stumble.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 01:35 PM
But when ASU beats Wofford 70-24, we cry "THAT'S NOT SPORTSMANSHIP!"

Pot meet kettle.

We took our starters out in the first quarter. App was passing the ball while up 30. I don't really care, that game was like 4 years ago and i wasn't one to talk about them running up the score in the first place.

Either way that's a bull**** comparison, just watch the film.

Apps03
September 11th, 2012, 01:51 PM
We took our starters out in the first quarter. App was passing the ball while up 30. I don't really care, that game was like 4 years ago and i wasn't one to talk about them running up the score in the first place.

Either way that's a bull**** comparison, just watch the film.

I agree it is a BS comparison. Big difference between a Lincoln and a top 5 conference opponent

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
How sad that the #3 team in the nation in Wofford had to complain about the #2 team running up the score. App should have returned the ball to the terriers each of the 5 times they coughed it up.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Bringing up games that happened 5 years ago? You guys are boring.

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Bringing up games that happened 5 years ago? You guys are boring.

A game 5 years ago is about as relevant as a win against Lincoln.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM
A game 5 years ago is about as relevant as a win against Lincoln.

Cool Story bro, you want to beat that dead horse some more?

You're extra boring. And bad at things.

Apps03
September 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I have no legitimate argument so I'm leaving.

fixed it for ya

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM
With that said we did score 82 points and we run the option. We took the first teams out after the first quarter. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 2 weeks in we probably lead the nation in points scored, pass efficiency, and rushing yards. We should beat Western Carolina, because we have better personnel and we have no other game to look forward to with the bye following it.

We NEVER score 80 points on anyone, NAIA, D2, etc, but we did the other day. It's a shame too, we took the first teams out after the first quarter and they still couldn't stop us because we had a deep talented and young corp of running backs. I don't know how we rank in that department in comparison to other teams in being the "best", but I think we probably have the deepest of them all. We had 5 freshmen carry the ball, and we still have 2 of the conference's leading rusher as well as 2 other running backs from last year. We also have a pass game that is 10x is more accurate than last year.

So, I am confident in our chances, if anything for the aforementioned reasons but also because of the way the schedule shakes up. The boldest prediction i will make is that if we start 6-0 or 6-1, I really like our playoff chances.

Yeah, Lincoln was terrible, but we always schedule a weak one early (and the reason we're on our high horse is because normally we have a hard time scoring more than 40 any game regardless of the competition, including NAIA opponents, but in this case we could have scored 200 on these jokers if we kept our starting offense and defense on the field for the whole game).

Do I detect a hint of chest beating over the routing of Mighty Lincoln...?

You like a bit of horse beating yourself, no?

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
fixed it for ya

What are we arguing over? I conceded the point that Lincoln was no big deal. You guys bring up 4 years ago in an apples to oranges comparison of nothing that's a big deal.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Do I detect a hint of chest beating over routing Mighty Lincoln...?

You like bit of horse beating yourself, no?

We played better against Lincoln than we normally do against our NAIA opponents. That's an objective fact. All other predictions were independent of that game and I probably would have said the same thing a week ago (in fact I think I did).

Again, lame and boring.

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
We played better against Lincoln than we normally do against our NAIA opponents. That's an objective fact. All other predictions were independent of that game and I probably would have said the same thing a week ago (in fact I think I did).

Again, lame and boring.

Im glad you played better than you usually do against an NAIA team. This is obviously proof that the Socon is unusually strong. Anything less than 70 against them would have meant curtains for the Socon At-large for sure.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Im glad you played better than you usually do against an NAIA team. This is obviously proof that the Socon is unusually strong. Anything less than 70 against them would have meant curtains for the Socon At-large for sure.

oh my, you just went full retard

drpnut
September 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Glass Onion, who is your team playboy?

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I hesitate to say, dont want to reflect badly on the best school in FCS.

Apphole
September 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
We took our starters out in the first quarter.

Bull ****. xlolx

Why on earth would you pull your starters in a huge conference game on ESPN. Asinine. What ever helps you sleep at night big fella. You got whooped on national TV. Stop making up excuses.

GlassOnion
September 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Bull ****. xlolx

Why on earth would you pull your starters in a huge conference game on ESPN. Asinine. What ever helps you sleep at night big fella. You got whooped on national TV. Stop making up excuses.

I think he's talking about the Lincoln game. Still.

T-Dog
September 11th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Okay...back to predictions.

Glenville State @ Chattanooga - 48-7, Chatty takes care of business ahead of their season-defining showdown.
West Virginia State @ Elon - 55-14, Elon controls the skies.
Furman @ Clemson - 52-10, This one gets ugly.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - 28-7, Samford takes care of business on the road.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 45-17, WCU takes another hard step.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - 42-21, El Cit was due vs GSU. Not so much on the mountain.

Apphole
September 11th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I think he's talking about the Lincoln game. Still.

Ok good. I thought he was huffing some serious ether.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Bull ****. xlolx

What in the **** are you even talking about?

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but Furman will start true Freshman Reece Hannon against Clemson this Saturday.

A move many thought might be coming. It is hard to overlook the poor quarterback play in Furman's loss to Samford and the first half against Coastal. Hannon looks like a true talent and a guy that more or less seemed to facilitate the departure of Travis Eman, who I thought would be a pretty good Paladin quarterback.

Frankly, it is hard to overlook the numbers. In 1 full game against Samford and a half against Coastal, Dakota Derrick was 15-36 (41.7%) for 242 yards, 1 TD and 3 INTs. Hannon in a half (plus overtime) against Coastal, was 22-35 (62.9%) for 256 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Not to mention Hannon came into the game cold, in a frog choking rain, and playing from behind. Clemson is a tough trial by fire, but it looks like Fowler has declared the future is now.

eaglewraith
September 12th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Quality D1? No...

DING DING DING!

my bad.....I knew you guys played a team with less schollies, but I couldn't place who it was, so I just assumed it was sub D1.

My apologies.

Man, that high SAT score is really paying off for ya ;)

ASUMountaineer
September 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Again, lame and boring.

And yet, you kept posting in the thread.

As you said, Lincoln doesn't matter. And, the 2008 game only mattered in 2008 and to ASU fans that were there to witness it.

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM

As you said, Lincoln doesn't matter. And, the 2008 game only mattered in 2008 and to ASU fans that were there to witness it.

I post in this thread because I like the topic. The arguments and attempts to change the subject/make a point are lame and boring because they're the same thing said the last few years over and over and over again.

Null point is null on your part.

SpeedkingATL
September 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - 51-3, Chatty rolls.
West Virginia State @ Elon - 45-10, Elon flys.
Furman @ Clemson - 58-13, Clemson pads their stats.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - 41-10, Sammy shows they may be for real this time.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 38-9, Ankle Biters get 400+ rushing yards.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - 31-17, It's tough to win at The Rock and Citdogs have a letdown after huge win over GaSo.

To early for meaningful power ratings just yet.

terrierbob
September 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM
YT is young. He needs to watch his terminology, though, when in the midst of a heated posting. "Retard" is not a very cool thing to say. I'm pretty sure that description became inappropriate before the class of 2016 was born.

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
YT is young. He needs to watch his terminology, though, when in the midst of a heated posting. "Retard" is not a very cool thing to say. I'm pretty sure that description became inappropriate before the class of 2016 was born.

It's from tropic thunder......and the only reason I used it is because I didn't think anyone on here cared enough to call me out on it/get offended by it, but yeah I know better. My apologies to anyone offended.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Glenville State @ Chattanooga - 51-3, Chatty rolls.
West Virginia State @ Elon - 45-10, Elon flys.
Furman @ Clemson - 58-13, Clemson pads their stats.
Samford @ Gardner-Webb - 41-10, Sammy shows they may be for real this time.
Western Carolina @ Wofford - 38-9, Ankle Biters get 400+ rushing yards.
The Citadel @ Appalachian State - 31-17, It's tough to win at The Rock and Citdogs have a letdown after huge win over GaSo.

To early for meaningful power ratings just yet.

I don't expect miracles against Clemson, but I am interested to see the fight Furman will put up. I do realize we are 0-2, and in everyone's mind that equals "bad," but Furman has lost to two tough teams on the final series of the game. They could just as easily be 2-0 and we would be talking about how they might give Clemson a run.

None of the Paladin faithful are expecting a close game here, but if our boys come out and show a little mettle, fix some of their errors, and play close to what they did against Florida last season, then I think the mood in Greenville will be a lot more positive going forward.

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Ok good. I thought he was huffing some serious ether.

Guys, can we stop feeding the troll? YT comes on every season proclaiming Wofford to be the best thing since sliced bread that season. The only reason it seems to fly under the radar for awhile is because he tries to hide it with faux modesty ("I won't make bold predictions, but I believe they'll win the championship" type of comments). After that fails when he says something too ridiculous, someone comes on to say how young he is and we should cut him a break. By the time he gets really annoying, Wofford has already found their way out of the Socon hunt/playoffs and he goes into hibernation until next season. How about we stop the cycle and recognize him for what he is: a Chattownmocs-esque poster in training.

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I don't expect miracles against Clemson, but I am interested to see the fight Furman will put up. I do realize we are 0-2, and in everyone's mind that equals "bad," but Furman has lost to two tough teams on the final series of the game. They could just as easily be 2-0 and we would be talking about how they might give Clemson a run.

None of the Paladin faithful are expecting a close game here, but if our boys come out and show a little mettle, fix some of their errors, and play close to what they did against Florida last season, then I think the mood in Greenville will be a lot more positive going forward.

As long as Furman plays us nothing like they did last year, I'll be ok xsmiley_wix

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Bull ****. xlolx

Definitely didn't pull starters, and he obviously wasn't referring to the Lincoln game when he said that...at least if he was, it was terrible sentence structure. Wofford just flat out got their butts whooped that night. If this team continues to improve each week, I would love to give them another reason to cry foul over the score this year.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2012, 09:17 AM
As long as Furman plays us nothing like they did last year, I'll be ok xsmiley_wix

The potential for that team to show up is still there. The 0-2 record is not pretty, and perhaps my head is just firmly in the clouds, but Furman is better than they've played to this point. Mental mistakes and two extremely good field goal kickers have been their demise so far in 2012.

If they can get a little offensive consistency, convert some of these third and shorts, and give our defense a longer field to play with, I have no concern that they will be a tough draw for any team in the SoCon.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Guys, can we stop feeding the troll? YT comes on every season proclaiming Wofford to be the best thing since sliced bread that season. The only reason it seems to fly under the radar for awhile is because he tries to hide it with faux modesty ("I won't make bold predictions, but I believe they'll win the championship" type of comments). After that fails when he says something too ridiculous, someone comes on to say how young he is and we should cut him a break. By the time he gets really annoying, Wofford has already found their way out of the Socon hunt/playoffs and he goes into hibernation until next season. How about we stop the cycle and recognize him for what he is: a Chattownmocs-esque poster in training.

Okay opie, I'm going to have to say this with as short and with as simple of words as possible because you clearly don't understand anything about reasoning and prognostication, let alone critical reading. You know what a syllogism is? Given premise A and premise B, premise C will follow? You Follow me here? Bueller? Bueller? That's how I prognosticate. I can't tell you what will happen on Saturday in terms of an outcome, but I can tell you if event A and event B happens during the course of that game, then event C will probably follow as a result.

For instance, I can't say what will happen for sure on Saturday against Western Carolina, but I can say if Wofford A) Doesn't turn the ball over and B)shuts down the run then C) pass the ball with over 50% completion percentage then we will D) likely win, but if the opposite happens then things look a little more murky. We then factor in how we historically do against said opponent, such as the last 2 or 3 performances against said opponent, as well as recent performances by the offense/defense against other teams this year, making a judgment as to whether or not said outcomes (turnovers, run defense, etc) are more likely to happen. From there, I have an idea of what will happen, but I'm not going to stick to it zealously because I've seen some crazy stuff happen the last few years, and I've come to the conclusion that predicting blow-outs only sets one up to fail to meet expectations.

It's been my experience that when predicting games among the top 3, anything can happen, especially if you're wofford and have historically laid an egg in big games, so I'm a lot more conservative when it comes to picking those games. Why don't throw a hissy fit and give me neg rep again because I'm not as bold in my predictions because I've been around long enough (you know, like 4x as long as you have been on here newb) to see the best laid out predictions bite one in the *** on numerous occasion? I've seen Wofford lose to a Chattanooga team that we beat by 50 the year before, get destroyed by App when we've played better the years and weeks prior, and get snowballed into losing against teams Furman, UNI, and GSU. The fact is that there are multiple factors that contribute to the outcome of a game and though some are easier to predict with accuracy than other (such as Wofford vs WCU as opposed to App vs Wofford), I've just learned it's better to go in a game hoping for a win and understanding the keys for victory than it is going to a game assured of a definite win and knowing how it will play out.

Like seriously, you've only been on for one season and you're already making bold accusations about my posting patterns when in the last year or 2 I've been posting sparingly in comparison to the 2 years prior to that, partially because I have a social life. I'll admit i was overconfident last year, but you know what? we're living and learning and what I've learned has taught me many reasons to not predict game scores anymore.

And I also I love how you misquoted me too, I'm not predicting a championship, but I am predicting we should be good enough to compete for one (but I'll also predict if we lose any of our next 3 games we won't).

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Definitely didn't pull starters, and he obviously wasn't referring to the Lincoln game when he said that...at least if he was, it was terrible sentence structure. Wofford just flat out got their butts whooped that night. If this team continues to improve each week, I would love to give them another reason to cry foul over the score this year.

Too bad I never said that Wofford did that against App. I may not have had a proper antecedent but that's no excuse for not using critical thinking in understanding that I wasn't talking about the App game.

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I post in this thread because I like the topic. The arguments and attempts to change the subject/make a point are lame and boring because they're the same thing said the last few years over and over and over again.

Null point is null on your part.

xlolx I usually stay away from "lame" and "boring." You run to it. You've been quite defensive lately YT. Let's talk about it, what's got you feeling so angry?

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM
xlolx I usually stay away from "lame" and "boring." You run to it. You've been quite defensive lately YT. Let's talk about it, what's got you feeling so angry?

stupid people on the internet.......(and not just on here)

but seriously, my lame and boring comment is in the direction of overused smack that isn't even smack anymore.

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM

YT has been around longer than Chattown, and his pops is a good guy. YT isn't a troll, he is a teenager. Subtle, but big difference. :)

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2012, 09:53 AM
stupid people on the internet.......(and not just on here)

but seriously, my lame and boring comment is in the direction of overused smack that isn't even smack anymore.

I'm just messing with you man.

cbarrier90
September 14th, 2012, 09:56 AM

He thought since EB was back, GSU was young, and App was in complete overhaul that Wofford could finally cruise to that outright SoCon title. Now App has the big victory over UM and fans want to crown them again. Meanwhile, Wofford's feeling like Rodney Dangerfield since they haven't lost but played a couple of cupcakes.

You can make all the crude John Wilkes Booth references you want, no one is impressed by a schellacking of some NAIA school, especially from a program that should be scheduling quality opponents.

And now, we wait...

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM
He thought since EB was back, GSU was young, and App was in complete overhaul that Wofford could finally cruise to that outright SoCon title. Now App has the big victory over UM and fans want to crown them again. Meanwhile, Wofford's feeling like Rodney Dangerfield since they haven't lost but played a couple of cupcakes.

You can make all the crude John Wilkes Booth references you want, no one is impressed by a schellacking of some NAIA school, especially from a program that should be scheduling quality opponents.

And now, we wait...

Hang on. I'm not debating App State got a big win over Montana, but when you say "fans want to crown them again," you must mean App fans. Winning over UM is nice and all, but they don't play in the SoCon.

The last time Wofford and App State played, App State lost. As far as I am concerned, that is all that matters until the two meet again.

GlassOnion
September 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hang on. I'm not debating App State got a big win over Montana, but when you say "fans want to crown them again," you must mean App fans. Winning over UM is nice and all, but they don't play in the SoCon.

The last time Wofford and App State played, App State lost. As far as I am concerned, that is all that matters until the two meet again.

Quick trivia, when is the last time Wofford or Furman won in Boone, NC?

theasushow
September 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Okay opie, I'm going to have to say this with as short and with as simple of words as possible because you clearly don't understand anything about reasoning and prognostication, let alone critical reading. You know what a syllogism is? Given premise A and premise B, premise C will follow? You Follow me here? Bueller? Bueller? That's how I prognosticate. I can't tell you what will happen on Saturday in terms of an outcome, but I can tell you if event A and event B happens during the course of that game, then event C will probably follow as a result.

Wow, thanks for the insight. If that's the case then I predict that when we play Michigan again in 2014, that if a)they all get high and drunk again, b)half of them can't find rides there, and c)the head coach takes his staff to Vegas for a "Hangover" weekend, we'll win by at least 21. Man, that is easy, thanks for spelling that out. Btw, is your thesaurus still open from writing the above paragraph?

For instance, I can't say what will happen for sure on Saturday against Western Carolina, but I can say if Wofford A) Doesn't turn the ball over and B)shuts down the run then C) pass the ball with over 50% completion percentage then we will D) likely win, but if the opposite happens then things look a little more murky. We then factor in how we historically do against said opponent, such as the last 2 or 3 performances against said opponent, as well as recent performances by the offense/defense against other teams this year, making a judgment as to whether or not said outcomes (turnovers, run defense, etc) are more likely to happen. From there, I have an idea of what will happen, but I'm not going to stick to it zealously because I've seen some crazy stuff happen the last few years, and I've come to the conclusion that predicting blow-outs only sets one up to fail to meet expectations.

Just throwing it out there, but if a team doesn't turn the ball over, shuts down the run and has a 50% completion rate, they should always likely win. Aim a little higher there Wofford then to just be in the game against Western if you do all these things.

It's been my experience that when predicting games among the top 3, anything can happen, especially if you're wofford and have historically laid an egg in big games, so I'm a lot more conservative when it comes to picking those games. Why don't throw a hissy fit and give me neg rep again because I'm not as bold in my predictions because I've been around long enough (you know, like 4x as long as you have been on here newb) to see the best laid out predictions bite one in the *** on numerous occasion? I've seen Wofford lose to a Chattanooga team that we beat by 50 the year before, get destroyed by App when we've played better the years and weeks prior, and get snowballed into losing against teams Furman, UNI, and GSU. The fact is that there are multiple factors that contribute to the outcome of a game and though some are easier to predict with accuracy than other (such as Wofford vs WCU as opposed to App vs Wofford), I've just learned it's better to go in a game hoping for a win and understanding the keys for victory than it is going to a game assured of a definite win and knowing how it will play out.

Like seriously, you've only been on for one season and you're already making bold accusations about my posting patterns when in the last year or 2 I've been posting sparingly in comparison to the 2 years prior to that, partially because I have a social life. I'll admit i was overconfident last year, but you know what? we're living and learning and what I've learned has taught me many reasons to not predict game scores anymore.

If you're going to use your length of time on a website to put me in my place, you need to get everyone else to stop taking up for you talking about how young you are. Also, I read AGS for a long time before I joined; I also use to read the same stuff from you on other App websites, so I do feel as though I can generalize how you operate. You make wide sweeping generalizations about a game, then pick and choose what you're going to stand behind depending on the outcome. That's not so much a prediction as it is a surety: i.e. "if Wofford scores more points against WCU, I predict we will probably win."

Outcome 1: Wofford wins - see I told you, we're great this year, we've really got it going on.
Outcome 2: Wofford loses - well we would have won if we scored more points, so I'm still right.

And I also I love how you misquoted me too, I'm not predicting a championship, but I am predicting we should be good enough to compete for one (but I'll also predict if we lose any of our next 3 games we won't).

With all your thesaurus and dictionary use in the first paragraph, you would have thought you could have looked up "sarcasm." I never said I was quoting you, but that should have been very obvious since I followed the quotation marks with "(those) type of comments." Perhaps I caught a case of what you have below. How about we sandbag a little bit in case you're way off and say if Wofford loses their next five games, they won't be good enough for a championship, but if they win their next twenty three games, they will win a championship. That should cover all the bases.

Too bad I never said that Wofford did that against App. I may not have had a proper antecedent but that's no excuse for not using critical thinking in understanding that I wasn't talking about the App game.

If you're implying I was directly quoting you from my statement earlier, then I can't help but to assume you were saying Wofford pulled the starters in the App game in 2008, since you then go on to talk about the App game, but I'll digress and we'll both go away with better understandings of what the other meant to say.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM

And now, we wait...

Well I would agree with you, but once again my position has been misrepresented. Is reading comprehension just something frowned upon now on this site? I think Wofford's going to be at the same level or better than last year because we return 8 starters and most of the 2 deep on defense, basically everyone on offense+some very talented freshmen. If you think I think App and GSU are down enough to where I feel confident in predicting an out-right title by Wofford, you'd be dead wrong. History tells us we play terrible in Boone, and decent in Paulson, but given the way GSU may have an attitude of protecting the house for this game more than ever, I'm not confident predicting a win for either but I think it will probably be a good game either way. App lost a lot of all-conference talent from this year to last on offense, but they seem to be doing fine so far, so I'm not going to even pretend they're down. GSU may be sputtering a little bit offensively, but I still will not predict a victory over them or pick them to finish lower than third in the conference with a playoff berth.

I'm not saying anyone should be impressed with Wofford's victories on paper, heck, every game we've played has been in the rain, I just think we'll be improved on offense and consistent with last year on defense given the returning starters, the improved passing game and the added depth and talent at running back. Is that so crazy? I haven't predicted a conference title, I just said we would likely compete for one, which given years past isn't a bold prediction. Are we disqualified from making that prediction because just because we've played weak opponents and did all we've been asked to do against them?

Come on fellas, think this stuff through.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM

I think Furman did in 2005? but that may have been at Paladin stadium or wtf is called.

Wofford was 2002.

GlassOnion
September 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I think Furman did in 2005? but that may have been at Paladin stadium or wtf is called.

Wofford was 2002.

Furman won in Greenville in 2005, only to lose in the Semi Final in Boone.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
With all your thesaurus and dictionary use in the first paragraph, you would have thought you could have looked up "sarcasm." I never said I was quoting you, but that should have been very obvious since I followed the quotation marks with "(those) type of comments." Perhaps I caught a case of what you have below. How about we sandbag a little bit in case you're way off and say if Wofford loses their next five games, they won't be good enough for a championship, but if they win their next twenty three games, they will win a championship. That should cover all the bases.

If you're implying I was directly quoting you from my statement earlier, then I can't help but to assume you were saying Wofford pulled the starters in the App game in 2008, since you then go on to talk about the App game, but I'll digress and we'll both go away with better understandings of what the other meant to say.

Lolz, you're an idiot. The fact that you need a thesaurus to know what a syllogism is showcases your lack of intelligence is. Your comparison there is pathetic. Obviously, even though we have 3 teams in conference who run the triple option, you don't understand the fact that making mistakes in a triple option offense are often more disastrous than a regular offense, hence my emphasis. Take last year with the passing, we struggled to complete 50% of our passing, so it was a big deal that we did so, or when we ran for over 400 yards against UNI but turned it over multiple times and lost anyway, or had over 400 yards of offense against App in '08 but had like 4 or 5 turnovers and got our butt-kicked. In short, in a regular offense, you can afford to turn it over a couple times, maybe get down a couple scores or be put in a position of which you need to run the 2 minute offense. In the option offense, that isn't always the case, especially if you aren't a high-efficiency pass game.

You act like I'm a troll, but in reality, this is how I've always posted, I've just gotten a little less bold in the predictions as the years have gone by. You're being hyperbolic as a means to undermine the way I'm discussing games in an attempt to discredit me. On the surface, EVERYONE says that under condition A, B, and C happens, result D will follow, I don't see how I'm unique in this circumstance. I never say I predicted an outcome to definitely happen from the outset, I only say an outcome will happen if certain antecedents occur during the game.

Take Elon last year for instance, my take on them is that they're a very good football team that can beat anyone when they don't turn the ball over, but when they do they're sub-par. They lost to Wofford, GSU, etc because they turned the ball over; when they played Furman the second to last week of the year, I predicted they could win if they didn't turn the ball over by scoring a lot of points. Low and behold, they didn't turn the ball over and they won in a high scoring game.

The fact that the way I prognosticate upsets you is kind of sad, I mean it pushed you neg rep me which really means you're taking this serious enough to where you just need to take a step back, chill, and maybe drink a smoothie or take a nap or something. It's just the internet bro, and it's fun to talk smack, be condescending, and give people hell, but the last thing I really give a **** about is your opinions about the way I post or the way I prognosticate through, especially through reputation points.

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Lolz, you're an idiot. The fact that you need a thesaurus to know what a syllogism is showcases your lack of intelligence is. Your comparison there is pathetic. Obviously, even though we have 3 teams in conference who run the triple option, you don't understand the fact that making mistakes in a triple option offense are often more disastrous than a regular offense, hence my emphasis. Take last year with the passing, we struggled to complete 50% of our passing, so it was a big deal that we did so, or when we ran for over 400 yards against UNI but turned it over multiple times and lost anyway, or had over 400 yards of offense against App in '08 but had like 4 or 5 turnovers and got our butt-kicked. In short, in a regular offense, you can afford to turn it over a couple times, maybe get down a couple scores or be put in a position of which you need to run the 2 minute offense. In the option offense, that isn't always the case, especially if you aren't a high-efficiency pass game.

Now this I can get behind. You took the time to explain something, though you still have to understand that any team performing those things will win a game 90% of the time. You throw in a condition for solid DB play and it has to shoot somewhere close to 99%.

You act like I'm a troll, but in reality, this is how I've always posted, I've just gotten a little less bold in the predictions as the years have gone by. You're being hyperbolic as a means to undermine the way I'm discussing games in an attempt to discredit me. On the surface, EVERYONE says that under condition A, B, and C happens, result D will follow, I don't see how I'm unique in this circumstance. I never say I predicted an outcome to definitely happen from the outset, I only say an outcome will happen if certain antecedents occur during the game.

That's not really a prediction, so much as following the logical outcome given a series of events. I predict Romney will win if Obama is caught shooting up in the back of a pool hall. To discredit you further, I'm going to say this: "App State will beat the Citadel by at least 14 tomorrow." Now please identify the A, B and C in that statement. See I've left myself open to take some ribbing should I be wrong, whereas all you do is blanket yourself with layers of causality. You've turned down the boldness of your prediction AND sheltered yourself against rebuttal under imagined statistics so much, that's there barely a reason to even make a prediction. Open yourself up, believe in your team, be reasonable and logical about when to make certain predictions and enjoy the internet like you say you do.

*Omitted paragraph because who cares about Elon, you shouldn't if you do.*

The fact that the way I prognosticate upsets you is kind of sad, I mean it pushed you neg rep me which really means you're taking this serious enough to where you just need to take a step back, chill, and maybe drink a smoothie or take a nap or something. It's just the internet bro, and it's fun to talk smack, be condescending, and give people hell, but the last thing I really give a **** about is your opinions about the way I post or the way I prognosticate through, especially through reputation points.

The Neg rep was last year and you made sure to respond in kind later on, so don't act like you're someway so above it.

Have fun pounding WCU this week!

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Have fun pounding WCU this week!

You act as if I'm trying to be some sort of Messiah in predicting game lines and scores. I never claimed to be that. I take more pleasure in the discussion over the breakdown of the bottomline than the actual bottom line. You get pissy because after games I say I saw that certain outcome coming if it played out a certain way, in reality I'm being real vanilla, because I put more value in understanding how and why a certain outcome happens than the outcome itself. I don't predict scores because if anything it only sets one up to be let down from setting too high of expectations, and as a Wofford fan I know that all too well. I have confidence in my team, but confidence by a fanbase often rubs off onto the players in some ways, and in the last few years we've been pretty overconfident as a fanbase and as a team, so I'm taking it back to more conservative levels. I always go to a certain depth, but because I don't meet your standards of going far enough, you get pissed off (haha that's what she said), and you sir are the only one who ever gets bothered by this so pardon my impatience because it's becoming a redundancy at this point so I really don't mind coming off condescending and name-calling.

I only neg rep when neg repped first. I don't like seeing it on my CP, so I like to spread the inconvenience to the one who sent it to me.

Apphole
September 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
This argument sucks. You two mind stepping up the entertainment level? Try to be concise and funny. Right now it's block after block of dull, dry text.

I believe he said something about your mother....

StorminASU
September 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM
You act as if I'm trying to be some sort of Messiah in predicting game lines and scores. I never claimed to be that. I take more pleasure in the discussion over the breakdown of the bottomline than the actual bottom line. You get pissy because after games I say I saw that certain outcome coming if it played out a certain way, in reality I'm being real vanilla, because I put more value in understanding how and why a certain outcome happens than the outcome itself. I don't predict scores because if anything it only sets one up to be let down from setting too high of expectations, and as a Wofford fan I know that all too well. I have confidence in my team, but confidence by a fanbase often rubs off onto the players in some ways, and in the last few years we've been pretty overconfident as a fanbase and as a team, so I'm taking it back to more conservative levels. I always go to a certain depth, but because I don't meet your standards of going far enough, you get pissed off (haha that's what she said), and you sir are the only one who ever gets bothered by this so pardon my impatience because it's becoming a redundancy at this point so I really don't mind coming off condescending and name-calling.

I only neg rep when neg repped first. I don't like seeing it on my CP, so I like to spread the inconvenience to the one who sent it to me.

It appears as if I've been mistaken then concerning your intentions. I assumed,in error evidently, that you were the kid who always had to be right, so you set predictions up in such a way to ensure that. I apologize for the bad blood caused and will understand your pov in the future. You were a vcitim of perception and that probably reflects my bias against our conference f(r)iends. Sorry for any grammatical issues, my phone is acting up.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Furman won in Greenville in 2005, only to lose in the Semi Final in Boone.

Correct. The date is 1996.

Of course, if you want to talk history I could point out that Furman still leads the all-time series comfortably. Or I could mention that App State has 17 wins against Furman, and 10 of those have been since 2000, which kind of demonstrates how one sided the series was for thirty years.

I have no problem saying that App State has had Furman's number. Still, last October it was the Paladins who walked off the field a winner. That's pretty much the only game that matters at this point.

Apphole
September 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have no problem saying that App State has had Furman's number. Still, last October it was the Paladins who walked off the field a winner. That's pretty much the only game that matters at this point.

And the SoCon Champion Eagles were the beneficiary, so we both got screwed. xthumbsupx

asumike83
September 14th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Of course, if you want to talk history I could point out that Furman still leads the all-time series comfortably. Or I could mention that App State has 17 wins against Furman, and 10 of those have been since 2000, which kind of demonstrates how one sided the series was for thirty years.

I respectfully disagree. The only game that matters between App and Furman is coming up November 10. xtroublex

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I respectfully disagree. The only game that matters between App and Furman is coming up November 10. xtroublex

I'd like to go back to Boone. I made a vow after watching the 2002, 2004, and 2005 games that I was bad luck and would not go back until Furman got the monkey off their back. Perhaps now, without Bobby Lamb, Furman can cure the Boone-hex on the Paladin program.

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
This argument sucks. You two mind stepping up the entertainment level? Try to be concise and funny. Right now it's block after block of dull, dry text.

I believe he said something about your mother....

Would you say "lame" and "boring?" xlolx

SCPALADIN
September 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
This thread has become rather shallow and pedantic.

GlassOnion
September 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Or I could mention that App State has 17 wins against Furman, and 10 of those have been since 2000, which kind of demonstrates how one sided the series was for thirty years.

While I understand the sentiment there, I must say, I would much rather be the team that has won 10 of 11 since 2000, than be the team that hasnt won but once in a decade and owns the series.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM
It appears as if I've been mistaken then concerning your intentions. I assumed,in error evidently, that you were the kid who always had to be right, so you set predictions up in such a way to ensure that. I apologize for the bad blood caused and will understand your pov in the future. You were a vcitim of perception and that probably reflects my bias against our conference f(r)iends. Sorry for any grammatical issues, my phone is acting up.

Why has this turned into a dialogue from my humanities class? And I am the kid who always has to be right, but at the same time I'm the kid who won't pretend he is if he knows he isn't.

asumike83
September 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
This thread has become rather shallow and pedantic.

I agree.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgow04jQVx1qa8wkz.jpg

WataugaDave
September 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Samford @ Gardner-Webb: Bulldogs hit the road for the first time with a 2-0 record, I like them to keep it rolling.
So the Samford Bulldogs are going to play the Gardner-Webb...Bulldogs.

I'd hate to be the commentator for that game.

Mr. Pink
September 15th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Guys... guys... guys... Let's not argue.

Lets just realize that Georgia Southern is the only football team that matters and will ever matter ever and talk about them instead.

I've been reading this forum for 2 years and registered just to post this.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Lets just realize that Georgia Southern is the only football team that matters and will ever matter ever and talk about them instead..

.000 in conference.

I-16Bandit
September 15th, 2012, 04:33 AM
.000 in conference.

Technically you are too.

asumike83
September 15th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Technically you are too.

Touché

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Touché

How did we get this far into a thread and not mention that the two teams tied atop the SoCon standings are the Citadel and Samford?

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Power rankings might not be the best choice of words for the SoCo this year.... more like three and out :D

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM
How did we get this far into a thread and not mention that the two teams tied atop the SoCon standings are the Citadel and Samford?

Because we are just one week into the conference schedule, and those are the only teams with SoCon wins so far?

SU DOG
September 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Because we are just one week into the conference schedule, and those are the only teams with SoCon wins so far?

Rats!!! I thought it was because those are the two big POWERHOUSES in the SoCon this year. LOL

CID1990
September 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Rats!!! I thought it was because those are the two big POWERHOUSES in the SoCon this year. LOL

You never know. That's why they play the games!

I-16Bandit
September 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
.000 in conference.

Technically you are too.

Let me go ahead and take that 'technically' out if my last post.

Welcome to the club.

StorminASU
September 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Well that humble pie was certainly well prepared. I'm dreading the GSU and Wofford games terribly now. That was a travesty. Credit to the Citadel. Our players and coaches were woefully unprepared. I'm ready for Jerry to call it quits