PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 2

superman7515
September 8th, 2012, 10:49 PM
For everyone filling out your poll, here is this weeks breakdown. Hope it helps you out and good luck.

AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 2 - 2012 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdF94UDVzTmdWYkFORjJtMkxqMXFKR Gc)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Lehigh was at CCSU.

darell1976
September 8th, 2012, 11:25 PM
For everyone filling out your poll, here is this weeks breakdown. Hope it helps you out and good luck.

AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 2 - 2012 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdF94UDVzTmdWYkFORjJtMkxqMXFKR Gc)

The UND vs Portland State game was a non-conference game so UND's and PSU's conference record is still 0-0.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2012, 11:45 PM
My poll is getting a delightful healthy shake up.

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2012, 11:56 PM
My poll is getting a delightful healthy shake up.

Same here.....and it sucks trying to figure some of this stuff out.

superman7515
September 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM
And bump for those doing their polls...

R.A.
September 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Norfolk State, Bethune-Cookman... MEAC 's looking a tad bit stronger.

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Bethune Cookman's wins are over the SWAC and another team from the MEAC, so it's not like they've done anything too impressive yet.

DSUrocks07
September 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Bethune Cookman's wins are over the SWAC and another team from the MEAC, so it's not like they've done anything too impressive yet.

One of the reasons why the MEAC/SWAC challenge puts us at a disadvantage. xdontknowx

Humble Steward
September 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Not buying this anymore. Our strength of schedule has increased and we are 2-0. Just the beginning of the season and not worried about polls. Including last year, this is 8 wins in a row for the Wildcats. I am excited what Brian Jenkins is doing with our program. Alabama St and South Carolina St are good teams. We were just better. Do not put us down for winning. We are here to compete.

The difference with this team is coaching and execution from our players as a team. We are facing The "U" next week and we are not looking for the payday, we are expecting to win.

superman7515
September 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM

The same could be said for #2 Sam Houston who has only a win over a D2 team, #3 Georgia Southern who beat a PFL team and then lost to The Citadel, #4 Montana State who beat a D2 and a PFL team, #5 Northern Iowa who has only a win over a D2 team... At this point, BCU has a win over two D1 teams who were receiving top 25 votes at the time the game was played. Norfolk State has a D2 win just like SHSU and UNI and a win over a Top 25 team that neither of them have. I'd imagine that won't stop you from ranking those other teams in your top 25.

Squealofthepig
September 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Norfolk State, though - last weekend's game obviously doesn't count, but a road win at Liberty should make everyone keep an eye on them.

FargoBison
September 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
The same could be said for #2 Sam Houston who has only a win over a D2 team, #3 Georgia Southern who beat a PFL team and then lost to The Citadel, #4 Montana State who beat a D2 and a PFL team, #5 Northern Iowa who has only a win over a D2 team... At this point, BCU has a win over two D1 teams who were receiving top 25 votes at the time the game was played. Norfolk State has a D2 win just like SHSU and UNI and a win over a Top 25 team that neither of them have. I'd imagine that won't stop you from ranking those other teams in your top 25.

UNI did play well at Wisconsin, not sure I'd rope them in with some of these teams. If BCU or NSU had done something similar I'm sure you'd be hearing different opinions about them.

Dane96
September 9th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Norfolk State, though - last weekend's game obviously doesn't count, but a road win at Liberty should make everyone keep an eye on them.

Yeah...keep an eye, but that's not a big win. What has Liberty done except choke the bone the last few years. Not a smack on them...but this early in the game...a close win to early keeps an eye open but shouldn't be a "oooooo...need to rank NSU".

Now...Bethune has changed me w/ their road win this week.

OhioHen
September 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM

You would be wrong there - I don't rank teams that have only beaten weak opponents. Every year, the poll committee questions or rejects my poll multiple times early in the season.

OhioHen
September 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
UNI did play well at Wisconsin, not sure I'd rope them in with some of these teams. If BCU or NSU had done something similar I'm sure you'd be hearing different opinions about them.

Played well at Wisconsin who lost this week. Makes the "close loss" much less impressive.

FargoBison
September 9th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Played well at Wisconsin who lost this week. Makes the "close loss" much less impressive.

True and UNI dropped in my poll because of that. Still playing that well at Wisconsin is much more impressive then beating some DII or non scholarship team.

smallcollegefbfan
September 9th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Yes it is. They need to keep it up though. I have NSU in my top 25 and BCC just outside of it. They really need to keep it up though. Pollsters will drop them like rocks if they are upset. Those two teams need to be 1 and 2 in the MEAC and can't take a big upset. If they do that whoever wins the MEAC could have a legit argument for a top 5 rank at 11-0 sweeping the MEAC.

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM

Weak examples. Those are elite teams and have proven to be. They bring back a lot of talent from top 10 teams of last season. BCU, on the other hand, hasn't done enough to earn the same merit as them. That's all I was saying.

If you want to rank teams simply on who they've played, then your argument would work. I put those teams in my poll because they are legit programs and have the talent and success to be ranked that high. The four teams you listed all were in at least the quarterfinals of the playoffs last season and returned strength this season. BCU, lost two MEAC games last year and didn't play after the regular season ended. Why should two average wins all of a sudden make them need to be compared to those teams? Clearly you didn't understand what I was saying.

P.S. Over half of the teams in the FCS received at least a vote in the poll. So having wins over a receiving vote school could be anyone in the top 62 of the FCS.

superman7515
September 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I do understand what you were saying, you rank the teams based on name recognition and not results on the field. That's cool, they have a whole section of Division 1 that ranks that way, to each their own.

DSUrocks07
September 9th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Weak examples. Those are elite teams and have proven to be. They bring back a lot of talent from top 10 teams of last season. BCU, on the other hand, hasn't done enough to earn the same merit as them. That's all I was saying.

If you want to rank teams simply on who they've played, then your argument would work. I put those teams in my poll because they are legit programs and have the talent and success to be ranked that high. The four teams you listed all were in at least the quarterfinals of the playoffs last season and returned strength this season. BCU, lost two MEAC games last year and didn't play after the regular season ended. Why should two average wins all of a sudden make them need to be compared to those teams? Clearly you didn't understand what I was saying.

No one is putting them in the Top 10 of any ballot. But is it THAT ridiculous to have them in the 23-25 range based on how they looked roaring back from a first half deficit against Alabama State and a convincing road win at SC State that has the track record of fielding a highly competitive squad week in and week out? Right now if you take 20 or so teams that you could have in the last five spots in the poll, Bethune has the resume to warrant a spot. They play Miami this week. If they are competitive in that game, would they still be just a "terrible MEAC team" that doesn't deserve a spot because of what they did or didn't do last year?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I do understand what you were saying, you rank the teams based on name recognition and not results on the field. That's cool, they have a whole section of Division 1 that ranks that way, to each their own.

LOL xsmhx

It's impossible to completely rank based on the results of 2012 "on the field" football.

Go ahead and keep thinking that's simply how I rank teams.

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM
No one is putting them in the Top 10 of any ballot. But is it THAT ridiculous to have them in the 23-25 range based on how they looked roaring back from a first half deficit against Alabama State and a convincing road win at SC State that has the track record of fielding a highly competitive squad week in and week out? Right now if you take 20 or so teams that you could have in the last five spots in the poll, Bethune has the resume to warrant a spot. They play Miami this week. If they are competitive in that game, would they still be just a "terrible MEAC team" that doesn't deserve a spot because of what they did or didn't do last year?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

It's not ridiculous to put them in the 23-25 range, you're correct.

Squealofthepig
September 10th, 2012, 01:04 AM
It's not ridiculous to put them in the 23-25 range, you're correct.

I think I say this every year, but 23-25 is pretty meaningless, mathematically; if we all voted down to 35, and then published a top 25, that would make more sense (normal caveat about early season voting, of course). I might quibble with someone about choices in their top 20, but beyond that it gets pretty tough.

OhioHen
September 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM

Early season votes based on name recognition get approved. Others that are based on results are questioned or rejected by the poll committee because they include "lesser" teams who are 2-0 and ignore "names" who are 1-1 with their only win against a D-II or Pioneer League team (or worse, 0-1 teams in week 1).

Dane96
September 10th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Is this a f'n joke?

If you are voting an 0-1 team into the Top 25...and that team wasn't in your pre-season poll at all...or, alternatively, wasn't but played let's say Alabama to a tight game, then you should have your voting privileges revoked for shear stupidity.

Further, if your one win is against a D-II team and you already lost a D-1 game, e.g. an FBS or FCS loss and a D-II win...it's highly unlikely you are going to be a Top 25 team unless your FBS loss is against someone stellar...and same with your FCS.

OhioHen
September 10th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Is this a f'n joke?

If you are voting an 0-1 team into the Top 25...and that team wasn't in your pre-season poll at all...or, alternatively, wasn't but played let's say Alabama to a tight game, then you should have your voting privileges revoked for shear stupidity.

Further, if your one win is against a D-II team and you already lost a D-1 game, e.g. an FBS or FCS loss and a D-II win...it's highly unlikely you are going to be a Top 25 team unless your FBS loss is against someone stellar...and same with your FCS.

That was my point - there are teams ranked in the Top 25 of the poll who don't have a D-I win yet the committee questions polls that include "lesser teams."

And I don't buy into the "I had them in my pre-season poll so I kept them in despite the loss" argument. Since there is no performance on which to base a ranking, I don't do a pre-season poll.

Dane96
September 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
UMMMMM....I think you missed my point entirely.

Your rep of me was undeserved because I was saying YOUR comment was a joke.

OhioHen
September 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
UMMMMM....I think you missed my point entirely.

Your rep of me was undeserved because I was saying YOUR comment was a joke.

Either you missed the point of my post, or you're okay with voting on name recognition rather than current season results.

So are you in FAVOR of voting for the 0-1 team, just because you expect them to be good?
And in FAVOR of not voting for teams like Albany who are 2-0?

Or do you agree with me that the 2-0 teams should be ranked and the 1-1 with a D-II win should not?

Based on my reading of your post, you agree with the latter and thus deserved positive rep for saying so.

DSUrocks07
September 10th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Either you missed the point of my post, or you're okay with voting on name recognition rather than current season results.

So are you in FAVOR of voting for the 0-1 team, just because you expect them to be good?
And in FAVOR of not voting for teams like Albany who are 2-0?

Or do you agree with me that the 2-0 teams should be ranked and the 1-1 with a D-II win should not?

Based on my reading of your post, you agree with the latter and thus deserved positive rep for saying so.

Must be too early on a Monday morning for sarcasm OH :)