PDA

View Full Version : Chomping at the Bit

blackfordpu
September 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM
(gobearkats.com)

When Sam Houston State steps on the field Saturday for the Bearkats' first game of the 2012 season, it will be almost a month since SHSU began preseason camp.
Head football coach Willie Fritz says his team is chomping at the bit to get started.

"Our players are ready," Fritz said. "It's been a long preseason camp. We reported on August 9th and started practicing on August 10th because school didn't start until the 29th. Then we had an open date the first weekend of the season. The guys are very exciting about going against an opponent."

After a 14-1 season which saw the Bearkats advance to the NCAA Division I national championship game, Sam Houston has received a number of preseason honors. The Bearkats are ranked No. 1 in the Sports Network Football Championship Subdivision national poll

Many fans have speculated the ranking puts a big target on the Bearkats' back but Fritz sees positives.

"One of our long term goals as a football team is to be a program that maintains consistency year after year, remaining as one of the upper echelon programs," Fritz said. "We want to follow up last year with another great season."

With almost 50 returning letterwinners including 19 starters, Sam Houston has a lot of experience returning. Included on the roster are 18 players that earned preseason All-Southland Conference honors and five preseason All-Americans.

"Given the difficulty of our schedule this year, its good to have that much experience returning," Fritz said. "We're excited about the guys that were red-shirted and we believe we signed an excellent high school class as well."

Another advantage of so many veterans in camp is the opportunity to put new wrinkles into a battle tested offense and defense.

"Obviously, we're working to develop some new things on both sides of the ball," Fritz said. "You always have to strive to improve."

Saturday's opponent, the University of Incarnate Word from San Antonio, is a bit of mystery. The program is in only its fourth year and has a new coaching staff.

"Larry Kennon, their new coach, was the offensive coordinator for the Raiders' Super Bowl team," Fritz said. "With his NFL background, he runs a pro style offense. They have a 3-4 defense that we haven't seen too often. We're going to have to expect the unexpected."

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205681011&DB_OEM_ID=19900

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2012, 07:53 AM
(gobearkats.com)

Saturday's opponent, the University of Incarnate Word from San Antonio, is a bit of mystery. The program is in only its fourth year and has a new coaching staff.

"Larry Kennon, their new coach, was the offensive coordinator for the Raiders' Super Bowl team," Fritz said. "With his NFL background, he runs a pro style offense. They have a 3-4 defense that we haven't seen too often. We're going to have to expect the unexpected."

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205681011&DB_OEM_ID=19900

I was wondering where the Sammy crowd was hiding.... I admit until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of the "Word" I need to hit the books

Sam_Kats
September 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM
No hiding. Just lurk & stay entertained by the Chatt & App St nepotism. xnodx

appfan2008
September 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM
No hiding. Just lurk & stay entertained by the Chatt & App St nepotism. xnodx

hey... uncalled for...

katstrapper
September 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Ready for some Bearkat football. The time is finally here!!

Sam_Kats
September 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Just a little jab - should be a good game in Boone tomorrow.

Sammy94
September 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-eat-em-up-kats.png